8.6

1. Aug 26, 2019
    Was a fun little game, can be completed in about 2 hours but your more likely to explore the island so expect about 4-5 hours, good music, a relaxing atmosphere and funny cute dialogue made this game pretty fun for what it is
  2. Aug 3, 2019
    I had a great evening playing "a short hike". Just a few hours where I enjoyed the dialogs, the music, the pixel graphics... It was a calm, fun and relaxing experience, like a short hike :)
  3. Apr 4, 2020
    Nice little game, good for a couple of hours of fun, although I wouldn't necessarily replay the game. Even better as it was a freebie.
  4. Feb 2, 2020
    This game was really enjoyable, sort of like Animal Crossing if you could do more stuff - like parkour, flying, climbing walls.

It was relatively short, but the time I spent playing was 100% fun and enjoyable, and when it was over it left me wanting more - which I consider a good sign! The characters and atmosphere were amazing, wholesome and fun. Very happy this had a native

The characters and atmosphere were amazing, wholesome and fun.

Very happy this had a native Linux version as well, which worked very well.
  5. Feb 15, 2020
    One of the more charming games I have played in a long time
    The gameplay is fun, cozy and the character intuitive and good to control.
    The setting is also very cozy and it's such a pleasant experience to just explore the little world and interact with everyone and find all the hidden stuff. The length is also really fitting. Not overstaying it's welcome in any way. If anything, I would
    One of the more charming games I have played in a long time
    The gameplay is fun, cozy and the character intuitive and good to control.
    The length is also really fitting. Not overstaying it's welcome in any way. If anything, I would have loved for it to go on for just a little longer but that just means I was entertained the whole time.

This game absolutely gets my highest recommendations.
  6. Apr 5, 2020
    This game definitely deserves a 80% score since the gameplay is impeccable and aesthetics of graphics and music so comfy. However it can't achieve a perfect score since it must lose a point for the lack of depth in the progress of the game because within a few minutes you've explored almost everything the gameplay has to offer. Also the treasure haunting and puzzle solving element of itThis game definitely deserves a 80% score since the gameplay is impeccable and aesthetics of graphics and music so comfy. However it can't achieve a perfect score since it must lose a point for the lack of depth in the progress of the game because within a few minutes you've explored almost everything the gameplay has to offer. Also the treasure haunting and puzzle solving element of it can be obnoxious at times since while it's not very hard it can rely so much on luck to be easier than intended that it loses in quality. Expand
  7. Mar 24, 2020
    A Short Hike is a little charming game that melts your heart with its wonderful landscapes, soundtrack and a surprisingly well-thought-out gameplay experience..
  8. BFM
    Apr 6, 2020
    The game ignores the keyboard layout applied on the PC and changes it to whatever default layout it can find.

I use an English layout, but for some reason the game changes it to some other language, making keys not be where they actually are (Z becomes Y and so on) And I cant even correct that, because I can't just rebind the controls by looking up what is bound to "Z" and rebinding

And I cant even correct that, because I can't just rebind the controls by looking up what is bound to "Z" and rebinding it to ... pressing "Z" on my keyboard, because they thought they were super extra clever and replaced a useful control binding screen like that to some question answering of "What key shall do JUMP? Press it now! - Okay. And what key shall do USE? Press it now!"

And you are like "How am I supposed to know? I haven't even started the game yet, I just want to make sure that whatever the controls are, they are laid onto the actual keyboard I have, and not some default keyboard layout that you found somewhere in the windows files!"

So yeah, saw the title screen (Where in order to advance I had to press Z, which was actually Y, went to the options to fix this swap manually for the developer, ended up getting some useless options designed for babies, and then uninstalled the game and got me a steam refund.

Lesson: Incompetence can't be subsidized with a "charming" game.
  9. Jan 27, 2020
    Good artstyle thats like animal crossing, nice music, Solid 3D platform gameplay, wish i had more of tgis to play. Had Fun. Great Game
  10. Dec 25, 2019
    This game takes the best of Mario Odyssey and Zelda: BOTW and puts it in an Animal Crossing-like world. A very cute, visually pleasing, well-written experience that makes you feel loved; a very great game.
  11. Mar 16, 2020
    It is a great short game. The game was very enjoyable and engaging. It has a lot of potential for going forward.
  12. Mar 17, 2020
    A really good game to have a nice evening. I spent only an afternoon relaxing and enjoying this game and I found it a really good experience. I recommend it to anyone who wants to just chill and have "a short hike"!
  13. Mar 18, 2020
    One of the most amazing games i've played in a really long time. The dialogues are heartwarming. The adventure is immersive, The music is exceptional and the fact that the game doesn't hold your hand throughout it's duration just gives me that amazing sensation of discovering a whole new world. Congratulations to the developers and to anyone who had the luck of playing/having this experience.
  14. Mar 24, 2020
    A Short Hike is not a perfect game, it does have it's flaws like the camera movement messing you most of the time, and (at least in my experience) having a lack of good controls on keyboard, I plugged my controller and it worked almost flawlessly. It is a game that is really low demanding, so almost every PC can run it, and it has a really good and cute art-style and does has a way to makeA Short Hike is not a perfect game, it does have it's flaws like the camera movement messing you most of the time, and (at least in my experience) having a lack of good controls on keyboard, I plugged my controller and it worked almost flawlessly. It is a game that is really low demanding, so almost every PC can run it, and it has a really good and cute art-style and does has a way to make you play it more.

Even tho your main goal is to get enough Golden Feathers to get to the top of the mountain and get reception for that call you've been waiting for, you can try and find every Golden Feather there is, finish the little "quests" the NPCs give you though out the game, find every treasure chest, fish and trade every type of fish there is, get a high score on Beachstickball or win all 3 Parkour Races against Avery (I even love how the next time you open the game, Avery now uses the strategies you used to beat her before).
    I ended up playing for about 3 and a half hours, and I had fun, chuckle sometime to the dialogue and some attitudes, had some heart melting times and appreciate how an indie game was so well made, short, but really well made.

I think that if the developer team can come up with an update and add some more Parkour Race tracks, and maybe a leader board for it and Beachstickball, the game could have a little more life time to get that bit of an online competition to it.
  15. Mar 30, 2020
    In diesem Spiel kann man perfekt abschalten und dem Alltag entfliehen. die kurze aber niemals langweilige Reise ist ein Erlebnis für sich, was sich für den geringen Preis mehr als lohnt.
  16. Dec 31, 2020
    A Short Hike is a simple “chill” platformer. You play as Claire, a bird girl who has gone to visit her Aunt May, a ranger who lives out on an island. The game starts with Claire discovering she has no cell reception, and Aunt May suggesting that Claire take “a short hike” up to the top of the mountain in order to get some.

Needless to say, it isn’t that short, though it will likely only

Needless to say, it isn’t that short, though it will likely only take you an hour and a half, perhaps less.

The game is pretty simple, and has the sort of base-level millennial style humor that I see here and there – basically, characters being excessively straightforward, to the point where it is comical, along with some pretty obvious jokes. If you have played Night in the Woods, it has a similar sort of humor to that game.

However, tonally, the game couldn’t be more different. There’s no darkness here; just a hike up a mountain, while encountering some funny people along the way.

The core gameplay basically consists of exploring the island and talking to people. While you can pick up numerous items over the course of the playthrough, it pretty much all ends up tying back towards the acquisition of “golden feathers” – items that let you double jump or climb once per feather. The top of the mountain requires you to have collected probably somewhere around 7-9 of these, though you might be able to make it up with fewer.

There’s not really any necessity of doing anything else, but you can do a bunch of random side tasks, from fishing to playing a volleyball variant to racing a boat around the water, which mostly reward you with either golden feathers or cosmetic items.

All in all, it is a pretty simple game, and at less than two hours in length (a bit more if you try and do everything), it’s got a small amount of content but also doesn’t expect you to spend forever messing around doing it.

Aesthetically, the characters are all anthropomorphic animals with pretty simple designs, but they work well enough. While the game ostensibly looks pixelated, it actually is entirely in the form of 3D polygonal graphics, and it is possible to go into the graphical options and reveal the “real” ones. I actually preferred the full resolution version, but some people might enjoy the more pixelated version more.

The game is pretty simple and lightweight. The reveal at the end of what the phone call makes the game feel more complete, and like it actually has something of an arc, even though, in the end, this is much more of a slice of life piece than an actual adventure – which is very unusual in the world of gaming, especially platformers.

It’s hard to say this game is bad, but it is also hard to say it is good. I got it as part of a bundle, and also for free on Epic, and at $0, it’s hard to complain too much. But at the same time, it’s hard for me to recommend that someone else spend the time on it; this is one of those experiences which is just okay, nothing more and nothing less.
  17. Jan 4, 2020
    I was hesitant for a long time but am glad that I finally tried it. It's actually not as short as the title or some people may claim - in my opinion. At least not if you're a completionist. And with this game, you really should be because more feathers than necessary and special items that you will probably get after doing the "primary objective" make the way the game feels shift quite aI was hesitant for a long time but am glad that I finally tried it. It's actually not as short as the title or some people may claim - in my opinion. At least not if you're a completionist. And with this game, you really should be because more feathers than necessary and special items that you will probably get after doing the "primary objective" make the way the game feels shift quite a bit.
    You do have to enjoy games that are mostly about exploration though. There are some optional races, a mini game and some puzzles that actually require some skill but otherwise, it's exploration, straightforward quests and steady progression.
    Sure, it's still "just" a few hours of fun but hey - it's a cheap indie game. Just enjoy. :)
  18. Jun 15, 2020
    This game is oozing charm. Reminds me of Little Big Adventure. I love it, despite it's 1,5 hour length.
  19. Aug 29, 2020
    This game is beautiful in so many ways, and plays out its scope perfectly. Adam Robinson-Yu made a delightful little world just waiting to be explored.
  20. Aug 13, 2020
    Lovely, witty, charming, funny, relaxing, fun, pretty and emotional. Very enjoyable.
  21. Nov 21, 2020
    A Short Hike
    Short But sweet
    A Short Hike is a tiny adventure game where you play as Clair, a bird that sets out to reach the top of Hawks Peak so that she can make a phone call to her mom… as the name suggests short hike can be quite the short game, you can easily beat thi game in less than an hr and a half.. but a short hike isn’t about beating it, its about experiencing its world… A
    A Short Hike
    Short But sweet
    A short hike is so full of charm and things to do, from collecting shells, finding secrets treasures, obtaining new items..fishing.. finding lost items… all to do one thing.. obtain more golden feathers o you can climb and fly your way to the top of the mountain, and I loved every minute of it…
    hile its visuals aren’t the best, they will grow on you… If youre into adventure games, where the goal is to just explore and take in the view, I highly recommend a short hike
    I give A Short Hike
    a 7.5/10
  22. 4y4
    Aug 17, 2020
    A very pleasant and calming game. These kind of games are often underrated in my opinion.
  23. Jul 3, 2020
    Animal Crossing meets Dear Esther. Your task is to reach the top of the island's peak to be able to use your cell phone, but to do that you'll need to explore the island and talk to the other animals there to collect Golden Feathers. At least 7 Golden Feathers are required to beat the game, but more makes it easier (as well as exploration in general).

I personally didn't find the

I personally didn't find the islanders particularly endearing. They only have a few lines of dialogue each and only a couple are in any way memorable. The ending is brief, adding a tiny amount of background to your protagonist but nothing I would call "heartwarming."

Many of the major "quests" require you to complete other objectives first, but the island is big and mostly non-linear. I missed out on all the treasure hunts because I didn't find the shovel until I was done with the game, and I missed out on all the races because I never got the running shoes. Several are tedious. Fortunately, none are mandatory; I found 15 Golden Feathers, so it's possible to complete the game twice without collecting any of the same feathers in both games.

I didn't have any trouble with controls or keybinds. Z was Z, X was X, menu is Esc or Space or Enter.

I sank about 2 hours into it total--1 1/2 hours to beat the game, half an hour wandering around afterwards trying to complete some of the quests.

The game is cute and relaxing but I didn't see a whole lot of point to it. I don't know anyone I'd recommend it to.
  24. Jun 19, 2020
    Aww, adorable and sophisticated. What a nice & round small open world! Love it.
  25. Aug 10, 2020
    A very nice game. The core mechanics in this game are surprisingly soothing. Walking, flying and climbing are very responsive. The graphic also creates an emotional surrounding for this short experience. I never take away marks for how short a game lasts, but honestly, this game is very short. The whole game experience is about 40 mins for me. However, the ending is conclusive andA very nice game. The core mechanics in this game are surprisingly soothing. Walking, flying and climbing are very responsive. The graphic also creates an emotional surrounding for this short experience. I never take away marks for how short a game lasts, but honestly, this game is very short. The whole game experience is about 40 mins for me. However, the ending is conclusive and satisfying, and overall, this is just one "short hike" in one's life. Expand
  26. Feb 22, 2021
    A peaceful, kind of relaxing game that can be completed in an hour. There are multiple ways to reach the end of the game and it features good music, funny written characters and a cute style.

While I look for different things in my video games I had an enjoyable time playing it, you can feel the dev put a lot of heart into it.
  27. Nov 1, 2020
    Peaceful 1-2 hour game. Fun gameplay where climb a mountain and collect feathers to be able to fly/glide around more and more. A good sunday afternoon game.
  28. Jun 27, 2020
    A short hike indeed! This game revels in the idea of a simple task, but with rewarding exploratory elements. The goal can be obtained in many ways that can lead to many different play styles or occurrences to help you reach your ultimate goal . The game, overall, has a funky (good funky) look and feel, and plays surprisingly well. The interactions are deep enough and only knocking this asA short hike indeed! This game revels in the idea of a simple task, but with rewarding exploratory elements. The goal can be obtained in many ways that can lead to many different play styles or occurrences to help you reach your ultimate goal . The game, overall, has a funky (good funky) look and feel, and plays surprisingly well. The interactions are deep enough and only knocking this as the hike could have been much longer to support further exploration of the island. Expand
  29. Feb 1, 2021
    Increíble, una experiencia inolvidable, de principio a fin. Una de las mejores obras de su año, sino de su década
  30. Sep 5, 2020
    Very nice game, full of secrets and good NPCs, that make your experience on this game way better.
    Also nice the pixel art, and the relaxing OST.
  31. Apr 7, 2020
    This was a really pleasant surprise. I got this game for free and am almost always that person that hoards free games and doesn't play them. I decided to give this one a try in my quarantine boredom and am very happy I downloaded it.

It took me 120 minutes to complete all objectives in the game. Here are some points. Pros: - Character writing is fantastic. Every one has their own

Pros:
    - Character writing is fantastic. Every one has their own personality with multiple dialogue options.
    - The island has a lot to discover and each discovery and quest are exciting and dynamic.
    - The story is heartwarming and feels very good as it comes to an end.

Cons:
    - The graphics leave much to be desired.

As a short little adventure, this is absolutely worth your time if you are interested in relaxed, low pressure environments. This game would be worth $10 easily. I would recommend this game to anyone looking for a feel good experience to distract them for a couple of hours.

FYI - change your keybinds. The default ones are a wreck.
  32. Aug 27, 2020
    RECENSIONE (ITALIAN):
    Gioco veramente particolare, molto curato nella sua semplicità.
    I veri difetti sono davvero pochi, il resto è solo gusto. AUDIO E GRAFICA: Io non sono un fan della pixel art e quindi ero un po' scettico su quanto sarebbe potuto piacermi questo gioco (diciamocelo, la grafica è un elemento marginale ma l'estetica è piuttosto importante per apprezzare un gioco). Ho
    RECENSIONE (ITALIAN):
    Gioco veramente particolare, molto curato nella sua semplicità.
    I veri difetti sono davvero pochi, il resto è solo gusto.

AUDIO E GRAFICA:
    Io non sono un fan della pixel art e quindi ero un po' scettico su quanto sarebbe potuto piacermi questo gioco (diciamocelo, la grafica è un elemento marginale ma l'estetica è piuttosto importante per apprezzare un gioco). Ho notato però con piacere che è possibile "ridurre i pixel" del gioco per renderlo più smussato e meno retro.
    Grafica quindi veramente minimale ma curata, con paesaggi molto colorati e un'ambientazione dettagliata e complessa.

Anche la colonna sonora al limite tra il rilassante e il bambinesco, unita a dialoghi molto informali e ironici, crea un'atmosfera davvero particolare che ricorda quella dei vari Animal Crossing (grazie anche agli animali antropomorfi). Non è presente doppiaggio ma i testi, nonostante siano solo in inglese, sono pochi e molto semplici.

GAMEPLAY:
    Tutto è molto semplificato, è possibile muoversi, saltare e planare. Successivamente sarà possibile utilizzare oggetti, fare salti multipli e scalare.
    L'isola in cui è ambientato il gioco è molto complessa, con molti personaggi e oggetti sparsi, vari segreti e missioni.
    La velocità di movimento della protagonista è perfettamente calibrata (a volte mi dimenticavo persino di correre), così come i salti non sono mai molto rischiosi, anche grazie all'assenza di ogni tipo di danno.

STORIA:
    La storia base è veramente simpatica, in quanto ci troveremo su un'isola in vacanza dove però l'unico punto in cui prende il telefono è la cima del monte. Da qui nasce appunto l'obiettivo di raggiungere tale punto per effettuare una chiamata.
    Per procedere avremo bisogno di "piume d'oro", ognuna delle quali permette un salto aggiuntivo in aria. Il gioco ha quindi alcune caratteristiche vagamente da metroidvania.

Il difetto principale del gioco secondo me è che la missione principale può essere completata in meno di un'ora, ma ci sono missioni secondarie, giochi, segreti e oggetti che possono essere ignorati completamente.

Ogni personaggio potenzialmente potrebbe darci una missione ma allo stesso tempo non c'è un menù in cui queste sono raccolte e non è presente una mappa (che in un'ambientazione così complessa potrebbe essere davvero utile).

Una volta completata la missione principale si può esplorare liberamente l'isola, però gli obiettivi secondari ormai sanno solo di sfizio da completismo, avrei preferito fossero più importanti anche prima e che magari la "main quest" necessitasse più abilità/oggetti speciali.

In conclusione, gioco cortissimo ma piacevole, con uno stile unico. Consigliato a chiunque voglia un'esperienza rilassante ma non passiva.

VOTO: 8/10
  33. Jun 4, 2021
    Well, it is short (less than one hour to complete with a sprinkle of side activities) but its well worth the time as it will manage to grow on you. Breath of the wild light. Feather light
  34. Jul 15, 2020
    A really fun, beautiful game that felt like a crossover between the themes and story of Celeste and art and gameplay of Animal Crossing.
  35. Jun 23, 2020
    Really enjoyed the exploration and graphics style. So many side tasks letting you progress at your own pace. Only weak point is complete lack of context when the game begins.
  36. Jun 24, 2020
    This is such a peaceful and placid game and is one of my top 5 favourite games of all time.
    Utterly delightful.
  37. Oct 8, 2020
    short, charming indie game. played it till i reached the top then put it aside, took me 1 hour. could probably squeeze another hour with more of the side stories.
    soundtrack is wonderful.
    graphics are beautiful, I preferred the smallest pixel size in the graphics setting options
  38. Aug 21, 2020
    A super cute little game!

A super cute little game!

It's a fun little adventure to play for an evening. It controls nicely and there's quite a few things you can do, like fishing, racing, playing "beachstickball", or diving from a tall cliff and picking up loads of speed. Of course, there's the main story too, where you trek up to the top of Hawk Peak, the island's highest point, to get reception for a call you've been expecting.

The graphics, music, simple animal characters and dialogue give it the feel of a Nintendo DS game from your childhood and it's incredibly charming. The island is fun to explore and will keep you busy for a few hours exploring the world and finding new characters and locations.

My only issues are that the game is pretty short (though, i suppose that's to be expected from a game called "a short hike"!), and camera angle changes while flying can screw up your momentum. However, it's still a great game filled with charm and a great experience. Anyone who likes low-stakes exploration games will surely enjoy this title.
  39. Jun 11, 2021
    A Short Hike es un juego muy relajante en el que te pones en el papel de un pájaro que tiene un objetivo sencillo pero que justifica perfectamente lo que quiere ofrecer el juego. Que poco a poco vayas desbloqueando nuevas zonas lo hace muy gratificante. El diseño artístico con píxeles gordos es bastante bonito y la música me ha gustado bastante. El propio nombre del juego indica que laA Short Hike es un juego muy relajante en el que te pones en el papel de un pájaro que tiene un objetivo sencillo pero que justifica perfectamente lo que quiere ofrecer el juego. Que poco a poco vayas desbloqueando nuevas zonas lo hace muy gratificante. El diseño artístico con píxeles gordos es bastante bonito y la música me ha gustado bastante. El propio nombre del juego indica que la duración del juego es muy corta (a mi me ha durado 2 horas pero no he completado todas las misiones, por lo que imagino que puede llegar hasta unas 3 horas), pero esto por lo menos para mi no es un inconveniente, ya que el juego me ha dejado satisfecho. También las mecánicas del juego me han parecido muy cómodas y bien hechas (recomiendo jugar el juego con mando, el teclado se hace un poco torpe). Para mí, el problema principal es la traducción del juego al español, que es pésima. A pesar de ello, es un producto correcto y quienes quieran un rato de relajación o de evadirse del día a día, este juego es muy recomendable. 7,3/10 Expand
  40. Feb 8, 2021
    Not the type of game for people who like to sweat completions. It's a game meant to be taken slowly as you find golden feathers, fish up new breeds of fish, and talk to all the charming characters on this mountain path.

Points taken away: I played on controller, but have heard that keyboard controls are BAD if you're looking for a good game for your money. I mean even though A Short

Points taken away:

I played on controller, but have heard that keyboard controls are BAD
    if you're looking for a good game for your money. I mean even though A Short Hike is amazing, I know many people that would rather spend $20 on a game I'll play for 100 hours than a $8 game that you spend like 4 hours on.
  41. Feb 9, 2021
    A very fun, calming game with a beautiful art style. The character interactions are great and the game can be funny and also emotional. It's a very short game and I finished it in 1 and a half hours, but there is still more to do for me and I'm exited to continue playing this. The ending was great and emotional, though I'm not sure this is too replayable.
  42. Apr 5, 2021
    Although it's not my favourite kind of game I enjoyed every minute of it.
    My girlfriend gave it to me as a present and it was a very nice surprise.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. Aug 31, 2020
    Many games often aspire to deliver more, sometimes bartering in dizzying excesses--be it in high-octane action or through big, sweeping narratives that thrust you into a heroic position. But it's the diminutive tales and everyday experiences of A Short Hike that give the game its comforting, even pastoral allure. It's about seeking quiet communion with nature even as you make your umpteenth hike towards the peak, or finding contentment in stumbling upon tinier, quaint scenes. It proposes that even the smallest and most mundane of vignettes can be as enthralling as grandiose universes and narratives of more ambitious games. As I embark on yet another leisurely trek after ascending the summit of Hawk Peak, I can't help but heartily agree.
  2. Jan 21, 2020
    Twee as it is, it’s an achievement that shows how a familiar video game form can be made into something more quiet and unhurried than one might be used to; personally, I’m all for that.
  3. Jan 17, 2020
    The laid-back nature of the simple but fun exploratory gameplay coupled with the soothing music and lush scenery make A Short Hike a relaxing adventure filled with not only humor but the tenderness of personal connections.