7.4

1. Jul 21, 2014
    Abyss Odyssey is a 2.5D brawler brought to you by the developers of Zeno Clash.
    Abyss Odyssey is a 2.5D brawler brought to you by the developers of Zeno Clash.
    The games core aesthetic, the core mechanics and even the core design, are done exceptionally well. The concept itself is nothing new, it's merely Rogue Legacy with a new lick of paint, a fresh style on a genre that was in serious need of innovation, but unfortunately, the most innovative design feature in Abyss Odyssey is also the thing that cripples the entire experience. That is the combat system, this game opts out of conventional brawler style combat system and instead opts in for a rather bizarre Smash bros. style combat system, which not only feels out of place, it's also the cause of most of the frustration and issues I have with the game. You see in a normal brawler, you are essentially a god, each enemy twirls and flips to your every attack like a rag-doll on ecstasy, which in turn makes combo-ing attacks together very easy as the enemy spend most of their time being juggled around in the air by you. The problem is with a conventional fighting system is that the "God" motif is completely missing and each and every enemy is a challenge, I like this idea, but the execution is completely brain dead, you see, the style isn't adapted for this kind of game at all, the core of the problem is the way attacks function and how enemies react to said attacks, the attacks function like a normal fighting game(If not anywhere near as in-depth)You essentially have a single combo, and 4 directional strikes that can also be used while jumping, these are all fine, but they do feel slightly clunky at times, for example, because this is based on a fighter, you will often hit situations where you hit nothing but air for an entire combo because the enemy has dodged your attack, during this, there is no way to stop, this leaves you open to be attacked, this feels incredibly clunky inside of a brawler, simply because of how many enemies are currently fighting you and how often you are required to change the direction of your attacks. This makes the fighting become incredibly tedious, but wait, it gets worse, because it's based on a fighter, the way enemies react to your attacks is also similar, they don't get juggled, instead they will fall after a few subsequent attacks like in Mortal Kombat for example, this is fine in a brawler, but what Is NOT fine, is the enemies having to finish whatever animation they are currently doing before your attack registers, this can happen in a few situations, 1. You attack after an enemy has been knocked over 2. You attack either as an enemy is attacking or he attacks as you are attacking(He WILL also interrupt your attack if his is faster) This leaves the combat feeling really rough round the edges, because it feels like half the time, my attacks don't register. This combined with the horribly jumping physics leaves the games combat system feeling a bit sore,
    Combat system aside most of the games other mechanics are fairly solid, except for the rogue lite mechanics, which seem to be mostly non-existent, the game tries it's hardest to NOT let you die, so much so that it even gives you an extra chance to play as a soldier character in an attempt to revive yourself, a character I might add is about 50-60x better than all 3 main characters, they have no mana, so power attacks can be used an unlimited number of times, they seem to take less damage and all their directional power attacks seem to be much faster and more responsive than the normal character's attacks, these characters are just better, at least for the first few hours of the game, you are seriously better off using them, I've progressed more as the soldiers than any of the main characters.

So we're left with an ambitious brawler that tries too hard to blend two genres together that simply don't need to be, if you can grin and bare the combat system, what's left is a fairly beautiful, pretty varied experience. Unfortunately I simply cannot recommend it based purely on the combat system as it has completely ruined the entire experience for me. It's just clunky and unresponsive, if you like games like Dust, Shank or any 2D fighter, chances are you will have trouble enjoying this.
  2. Aug 1, 2014
    The style/combat system of Abyss Odyssey is utterly wasted on a very short, very limited game.

Character design is great. Every monster is beautifully crafted and animated. The music is fantastic, and the voice acting is very good. The dungeon itself is bland, and has very little to interact with or look at. Save shops, an NPC that dispenses generic fortune cookie lines and a small

The dungeon itself is bland, and has very little to interact with or look at. Save shops, an NPC that dispenses generic fortune cookie lines and a small xp boost, and the occasional breakable wall. Sometimes you can purchase a continue point that will spawn soldiers that will help.

The procedurally generated stages only vary by a few factors, and only ensure that you'll vacillate between getting screwed on the above listed points of interest, or blessed. Each floor's layout is almost exactly the same with very little changes. The backgrounds are interesting but quickly become repetitive as there are only a few and they're all variations of "cave" (i.e. fire cave, ice cave, etc.).

There is no story, save the fact that warlock who we've never heard of is asleep, and his dreams are becoming real.

Standard friendly fire is unbelievably frustrating in a game whose combats take place in cramped areas, against several enemies at a time. Turning this off, the game basically tells you, you aren't good enough to progress the overarching goal of the game. So forget about your Warlock kills counting.

Each character is interesting and well designed and animated. Voices are great. However special skills are woefully limited, and many fail to provide any worthwhile advantage over basic strikes (pretty much all of Pincoya's specials are outdone by her forward and up strikes.)

Capturing souls is arduous. Having to build up a mana bar on enemy, 'breakables' drops and the rare potion. Then activate a special attack spell. If the enemy hit is killed fast enough, the monster may drop its soul. Die and lose all your mana. The much touted feature is less involved than advertised. It's a piece of equipped transformation. It would have been more enjoyable to me, if you simply unlocked monsters to use in place of the mains, but we get a temporary skill set that are frankly outdone by the main characters most of the time.

Enemy A.I. is cheap. Often activating dodge the moment a projectile attack is registered.

Turning is stiff and needlessly involved. Having to do nothing and press the opposite direction while grounded just to face a different direction is archaic gameplay and frustrating for no good reason.

Each attack is slow, sluggish. Well animated, but still very stiff and deliberate. In a one on one fight this may not be an issue, but when you're surrounded, enemies psychically dodging through your attacks and blocking, while being pummeled is the opposite of fun. 9 times out of ten you have to "cheap out" and just juggle/knockdown lock enemies and hope they don't just roll through you.

The game is short. Very short. Like '20 minutes short' if you're experienced. Its made to repeat over and over but the levels are so uninteresting that it becomes a chore. I've killed the Warlock about 4 times now and I just don't care anymore. Especially since there is no story. This is an amazing game world and ACE does nothing with it. This would have made an amazing Metroidvania style game, or RPG. But instead all the art is wasted on a quick grindy arcade game
  3. Jul 16, 2014
    I feel Ace team tried to cram too many different genres into one game and ended up with a decent game that happens to be a bit lost.
    Combat is probably the main problem, as it feels similar to Super Smash Brothers, but not as responsive or varied, actions feel static and interrupt your movement flow too abruptly. It's also extremely difficult to chain together effective combos with the required timing, although there hardly seems any reason to really use combos outside of pvp.
    The difficulty is also irregular, as solo combat seems very hard, as you can easily get juggled by enemies, but co-op on the other hand makes the game feel too easy.
    Likewise, the platforming feels imprecise, being hard to tell when you'll grab on to a ledge or slide off The exploration is always good, but the procedural generation mars how interesting each section really is, and many core gameplay mechanics are poorly explained ( or not at all ).

Visually, the game is interesting, with some really weird and fascinating art style, but not very well executed. Oddly enough, the main character lady (forgot her name) model and textures look rather bland and washed out, while some other characters appear more detailed. The backgrounds are the highlight in this sense. They seem to have been made by another team as they have much more personality, brimming with life and stylised detail.

Animations are another mixed bag. While some attacks look decent, most of the character animation is stiff and robotic. Particularly the male soldier "falling" animation looks unintentionally ridiculous.

All that said, the rogue-like structure ( that I find more similar to binding of Isaac than Spelunky although this does have the side scrolling aspect ), works very well, and a lot of the lack of explanation makes up for intriguing secrets, which makes for a very addictive experience.
    Likewise, levelling up, and unlocking characters and moves keeps you interested even when you are not making much progress..

Other small issues are input problems where they should wait for your button press, but the press registers too fast ( like when speaking to characters and being given a dialogue option)

All in all, I know I'm being quite critical of it, but its just that it could be a GREAT game, but it doesn't do anything particularly well. If you find yourself liking the combat, you will get a lot of value for it, as it s designed around replayability (specially since it's pretty cheap). But I cant give it my wholehearted recommendation.
  4. Fuz
    Jul 20, 2014
    Awful game designed for consoles only.
    While the art style is pretty good and the musics are nice, everything else just plain sucks. The main character animations are horrible and feel like an unfinished work.
    The controls are terrible, they're clunky and irresponsive and they didn't even change the button prompts, so you'll see gamepad keys even if you're playing with a keyboard. Shame
    Awful game designed for consoles only.
    Shame wasting such a nice art style and soundtrack on this atrocious game.
  5. Jul 16, 2014
    Like most ACE Team games, this is hard to describe. Perhaps It should be called Chilean culture 101.

The first thing you notice is that the art style is brilliant. Kind of gothic late 1800's with a unique Chilean twist. It feels less alien than ACE Team's other game, Zeno Clash, but it has lost none of it's uniqueness. The gameplay is almost like Metroidvania meets Spelunky. Although

The gameplay is almost like Metroidvania meets Spelunky. Although the controls don't feel as tight as they should, the combat system is pretty sweet. Add unlockable characters, weapon pick ups and RPG style levelling, and you got yourself a pretty entertaining game!

ACE Team has the unique ability of combining art with actual gameplay, and if you're sick of generic military shooters, this game is like a breath of fresh air.
  6. Aug 16, 2014
    For me this is a very unusual game, is nothing to compare.
    Very original game story. Procedural level design, your adventure always different. A wide variety of characters is a plus of this game.
    A very unusual game balance!
    Beautiful graphics and a very atmospheric music. Single play, i finished in 20 minutes! Is it too short gameplay!
  7. Jul 17, 2014
    Game is killed by stupid control.
    You can't stop attack to block, you have to wait animation to stop. Turning character is also feels slow. Character sometimes wallclimb even if you doesn't want it. I played a lot of hardcore platformersaction,so I can say if it is game problem or my skill is too low.
    Game is killed by stupid control.
    Default control for PC is piece of #### too. Devs even didn't write right buttons for PC versions in game!
  8. Jul 17, 2014
    While at first the controls can seem a bit clunky, they are actually quite tight, but can take a bit of time to warm up to, but once you do it controls fine. I used a controller, so I can't comment on the PC controls, but since the game has an essentially fighting game style combat system, I'd say stick with a controller if you can (but hey, if you're fine with using a keyboard forWhile at first the controls can seem a bit clunky, they are actually quite tight, but can take a bit of time to warm up to, but once you do it controls fine. I used a controller, so I can't comment on the PC controls, but since the game has an essentially fighting game style combat system, I'd say stick with a controller if you can (but hey, if you're fine with using a keyboard for fighting games, go ahead).

The art style is amazing, as per usual for an ACE Team game, the music is moody and fitting and the sound effects are satisfying and compliment the gameplay. The voice acting is mostly average, but by no means bad and does not detract from the game in any way; however a few characters (including the Warlock, and The Jackal) are very well voiced.

ACE really has something going for them here: fighting game style combat, platforming exploration, rogue-lite elements and even the Kirby-like ability to play as any of the enemies in the game by collecting their soul. Each enemy has a full move set, just like the three main playable characters, and while you can't customize their move-set like you can the main characters, there is a huge cast to choose from and the majority of them are unique and offer many different styles of combat.

There is also a community progression aspect that the developers are implementing, as more players defeat the final boss of the game, his 'mask' slows cracks away until it is entirely broken. At that time a new mask will be revealed and the developers will update that game (yes, a free update) with more content including enemies and a new form for the boss (or something along those lines, the details are secret to preserve the surprise).

Definitely the most impressive game ACE has put out to date, and cements them as one of the top developers to keep and eye out for in the current gaming scene.
  9. Jul 17, 2014
    In a nutshell :
    Everything is sluggish and really, really slow. Whole game seems like playing Dark Souls with 200% equip load, the slowest weapon there is (which is also broken since it does no damage) against heavy armored enemies that keep blocking 90% of the time without you being able to break their defense.
    First the enemies in this game have the worst AI I've ever seen. Every
    In a nutshell :

First the enemies in this game have the worst AI I've ever seen. Every time you attack they block. It doesn't matter if your sword is actually able to reach them or not. As long as you face their way and attack they will stay put and just block even if they are 50 miles away from you. Also every time there are more than 2 enemies on the screen one of them seems completely frozen (doesn't attack, move, nothing). I beat one boss just by standing away and spamming projectiles. He just kept walking towards me, got shot (I was playing as the soldier you get when your character does) and thrown back and than he walked towards me again - this is how bad the AI is.
    By the way there is ONE move that "breaks" blocking. A grab that does about 1nano damage and throws your target up or left/right. Absolutely useless.
    Also I have no clue how the hp bar of the enemies work. Sometimes they get hit 5 times and ate still at 100% and suddenly the 6th hit brings their HP to 50%.

Now I think there is a good way to describe the "sluggish " I used in my review because "slow" is not the right way to describe it:

In this game you can just do _one_ thing at the time. If you started an action then you have to wait till the animation is over before being able to do something else. For example if you start an attack then you have to wait till the animation is completely over before you can block or evade/roll/turn around /yadda yadda. It feels like there is some sort of input lag but that's not the case ; the game just ignores everything else. If you do a "combo" and attack more than once then there is no way to turn around between the strikes. If you stand before an obstacle that you need to jump but you are facing the other direction then first you have to turn around and then jump - you cannot do both at the same time or change directions mid air. Let's say there is a wall behind of you and to get over it you need to grab the edge of the cliff to climb on it. If you jump and try to turn around then the game simply ignores the change of direction and you end up jumping backwards and instead of grabbing the edge the character just holds onto the wall and slowly slides down (see DelCasts review about the many times you hug the wall even though you don't want to).
    Again Dark Souls is a good comparison since you cannot stop an attack and block or roll before your attack ends (though, you can change directions of you strikes mid animation..). Same goes for Monster Hunter. Another game is Resident Evil where you can only walk OR aim/shoot. However those games work because they aren't 2D action plattformers with enemies that keep jumping behind you while you keep attacking the air then wait for the animation to end, THEN turn around just to realize he jumped over you AGAIN. Imagine Mega Man or another 2D action/beat em up/platformer only now you can only do ONE action at the time and you get this game.

I have no problems with those "get your timing right or you die"-games. I really love games like Dark Souls, Monster Hunter or Resident Evil and I also really love 2D scrollers like Mega Man, Strider, Viewtiful Joe or simply Mario, Rayman, PLOK! and Rogue Legacy. However this mutated bastard child of those genres known as Abyss Odyssey is absolutely boring, frustrating and generally no fun at all.
  10. Jul 17, 2014
    this game is not classic arcade d&d. not dragon's crown..
    this game is fighting base roguelike rpg. don't forget it.
    strong point is fantastic music, art, understanded character moves.
    but ending is so bad.. and skills unkind.
  11. Jun 14, 2015
    one more try, man was I wrong, and 150 words worth of games I can stand better than this(and that were better); starcraft 1, stronghold, stronghold crusader, theme world, moria(lol), street fighter and mortal cambat, mario, zelda, all there iterstions, armored core, mechwarior, mary kate and ashley at the beach, pack man, the original pong.
  12. Jul 25, 2014
    I really liked it - they took a simple game mechanic and made the most of it. It's short but it only needed to be short, and I've replayed it a few times even though I have loads of other stuff in the queue on Steam.

There are lots of simple, clever design decisions on show, for example as your character level gradually increases the weapons in the shop get more expensive. Which keeps you on a learning curve to figure out the combat properly. You are always having to prioritize - in an ideal world you want to have a full health bar, four health potions, three rings/amulets, a monster soul, a level 3 weapon, and to have set up a camp nearby. This will probably never be the case, meaning the play style has to adapt to the combination of stuff that has become available on this particular run.

The combat tricked me at first - it is neither roguelike nor beat-em-up like. Although it uses a limited range of beat-em-up type moves, it has much more in common with old side-scrolling fighting games like Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, and more recently The Spirit Engine - all of which had quite abstract mechanics. Very basically, in AO you and each enemy have a regular attack frequency, and you need your attacks to always be landing just before the enemies' "turns" come up. When it works, it becomes like a rhythm game where you bash the enemies one side of you and then swing round to get the others just before they have time to react .

The health increases on levelling up seem to diminish with each new level - e.g an extra 7 or 8 HP when a typical monster attack does 70 or 80 HP. This is genius because it means grinding is almost pointless and you play to get to the end, rather than to save up for whatever sword. Items get lost at the end and only XP and gold are kept.

The levels are randomly generated but not-very-randomly, and this is also a good thing because once you get used to the pattern you can decide from the mini-map whether to take a side passage to go after treasure or just proceed to the next fight. There is no backtracking or wandering around lost, except on very rare occasions when you get a key after a chest, or die after a ressurrect point. Other than that it's always forward. And this is good.

It's a casual game really, but it needs an hour of reasonably solid focus for each playthrough, and the achievements feel like they are worth playing "one more time" to get. I still need a page of the Warlock's journal because there is something somewhere I still haven't killed. It might be time to start going down the most difficult of the three routes into the dungeon.
  13. Jul 21, 2014
    This game got me hocked! its like a smash bros in rogue stile with a dark souls feel to it.

Your going down in a randomized world, fighting monsters, gaining xp and leveling up your character. But if you die, you respawn as a guard. trying to fight your way down and find a respawning place so your character can come back to life. but if the guard dies, you have to start from the top, keeping only your level and your gold.
    The level raising you health, and gold you buy better weapons and items.
    You can buy tokens that you can place beside the respawning place. working as a checkpoint. so if you die, you will always start there.
    if you can make it to the last boss and kill him, you will u........... . . . .
  14. Jul 18, 2014
    Controls take some time to get used to and the ACE team essentially created a megaman-esque platformer that is great for people who have experience playing fighting games but might be harder for others to get into. The game is great, and I'm hoping more special moves get added to the main characters in the future. Only major flaw at the moment is that while the game is meant to be playedControls take some time to get used to and the ACE team essentially created a megaman-esque platformer that is great for people who have experience playing fighting games but might be harder for others to get into. The game is great, and I'm hoping more special moves get added to the main characters in the future. Only major flaw at the moment is that while the game is meant to be played in 1 sitting, a single sitting takes around an hour if you don't die along the way.

You can watch my video review here: http://youtu.be/XGUCZHWI98E
  15. Jun 15, 2017
    Abyss Odyssey
    Stiff Garbage
    Abyss Oddssey is an action platforming game where the goal is to get to the bottom which each of the games 3 characters This isn’t a true platformer aside from the hazards here… For the mose part youre just going down and killing ever enemy in your way the best you can with the clunky and stuff combat.. you feel like the tin man from the wizard of oz
    Abyss Odyssey
    Stiff Garbage
    This isn’t a true platformer aside from the hazards here…
    you feel like the tin man from the wizard of oz trying to slice these fools…
    along your way youll find new weapons , a lot of them character specific which Is a bit frustrating, some cash to buy weapons from the shop.. and your constantly cashing in for better gear to make it further and further…
    IF you do die you drop your weapons and are replaced with a soldier..
    As this soldier its your job to find a checkpoint alter to revive your fallen hero…
    And dying because combat is so stiff is extremely easy…
    And health drops from enemies hardly do you any good…
    You do sort of get a 2nd life in the form of capturing random enemies which is rare..
    but some enemies will drop a pick up for you to change into them..
    And you can be this enemy until they die..
    But if your pick up dies, you die, and your soldier replacement dies…
    its back to the start.. hjaving to drop down to the bottom all over again..
    Qhich is frustrating because there are tons of quick mini bosses on your way to the bottom, and at the bottom of this abyss is an over powered spongy and spammy boss that youre gonna need a little lady luck to get past or some help from another player as this game does support online coop..
    That is if the game doesn’t corrupt when you try and join a game like it did for me..
    Abyss Odyssey just doesn’t feel right..
    The game is boring , stiff,repetitive, broken,
    Theres no reason for anyone to play this..
    I give Abyss Odyssey
    a 3/10
  16. Feb 10, 2016
    Extremely average game. Interesting concept, and can be quite enjoyable. RPG elements such as skills and different equipment and loot seem like they were added on the last minute, they serve no real purpose. Combat is bleak at most, literally no combos. It's either 2 or 3 combos max (if you're lucky). Only mechanic that I enjoyed was the choice in how you approached the final boss, andExtremely average game. Interesting concept, and can be quite enjoyable. RPG elements such as skills and different equipment and loot seem like they were added on the last minute, they serve no real purpose. Combat is bleak at most, literally no combos. It's either 2 or 3 combos max (if you're lucky). Only mechanic that I enjoyed was the choice in how you approached the final boss, and kept me playing for the most part. Adding to that, it's a fairly short game, but there is room to get 100%, but doesn't seem worth it. Expand

1. Nov 11, 2014
    Abyss Odyssey is akin to a raid from World of Warcraft that you have to repeat over and over again. Though there is not much incentive to do that.
  2. CD-Action
    Oct 22, 2014
    An interesting way of spending a couple of evenings, but there is not enough content in Abyss Odyssey to keep you engaged until morning. [10/2014, p.58]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Aug 27, 2014
    Beautiful to look at and stunning to listen to but lacking any real depth when it actually comes to play. [Sept 2014, p.52]