5.7

1. Apr 21, 2020
    I find it hard to choose a score for this because I want to give the idea a 10 but the implementation a 1. So 5 right?
    Epic exclusive. There's a point off.
    Way too easy to head down a dead end path that you can't see as such and be forced into a full reset to the beginning. There's another point off. This deserves a hard 3 but don't think that makes it a bad game overall, just too
    Epic exclusive. There's a point off.

This deserves a hard 3 but don't think that makes it a bad game overall, just too many unforgiveables. I've got about 40 hours into it trying to break into what I feel should be a deeply rewarding game and I just never got there, even when I started succeeding with evolutions.

Here's a typical couple play hours:
    Find sticks.
    Find rocks.
    Strip sticks.
    Sharpen sticks.
    Head out.
    Stop CONSTANTLY to smell, listen, bark, inspect.
    Get attacked by XYZ.
    Sticks break killing XYZ.
    Find all the dropped weapons that aren't broken.
    Climb all over looking for mats to heal.
    Heal wounds on you and clan.
    Find more sticks and rocks to sharpen sticks, then do that.
    Everyone is starving and too stupid to eat or drink without you showing them.
    Find obsidian, thank God. Then try to find them again after your clan members drop them in the grass.
    After 10 outings you realize it's easier to just go alone instead of babysitting your entire down syndrome clan.
    Decide to try and keep to trees. Get frustrated by horrible controls while climbing that require precise nonsensical positioning. Yeet yourself into the nothingness while aiming at a branch that was JUST RIGHT THERE.
    Return to camp to have random members just be gone.
    Realize once again you don't have enough members for evolution and finding outsiders is too rare for how far you have to travel at a snail's pace. Try traveling quickly and you're terrified of unknown areas making you freak out without inspecting everything around you just 50 yards from your "known" area.
    Reconsider for the 15th time to uninstall the game.

The pacing is punishingly slow. EVERYTHING you do is slow. Sharpening one stick takes 15 clicks(!) if you don't have the right tools. (keep obsidian in your camp)

I've got over 40 hours into it but I should have been at this point within hour 5. Rewards for pushing yourself through the soul crushing monotony are pathetic. It's sad because I really wanted to like this game. Graphics are really nice and the premise of the game is intriguing. Unfortunately this is all destroyed by clunky controls, horrible mechanics, and the same slow process over and over and over again. After typing all this out I think it's lucky I went as high as 3. You should never punish the player for playing the right way.

Edit: After seeing Desilet's response to less than glowing reviews that we're all stupid or lying that this isn't the greatest game ever made I'm changing my review to a zero. Anyone that egotistical needs to be knocked down a notch, especially if he thinks THIS is a masterpiece of gaming, while in the same breath saying they had to cut corners due to time constraints and lack of resources. Give me a break. You didn't build Assassin's Creed all alone, but obviously you think you did. Guess we see now the talent on AC wasn't you huh?
  2. Apr 14, 2020
    Es un juego contra intuitivo. Los controles son penosos. Lo mejor son los gráficos, espectaculares
  3. Dec 3, 2019
    1. Epic Game Exclusive
    2. Creator blames players for bad review instead of improving his bad game design
    (Yongyea reviewed it)
  4. Aug 31, 2019
    the game is not bad, at the beginning the crafting and learning system is very interesting, but the game is too long, so by the end the game becomes boring.
  5. Dec 3, 2019
    i hope the director gets used to lower numbers the entitlement put me off of continue playing the game
  6. Aug 28, 2019
    I'm very sad leaving this review...
    I'm very sad leaving this review...
    I genuinely enjoyed game and I do not consider my time wasted. All the flaws were manageable except literally gamebreaking. Adults died, so you left to die too. You can't progress anymore and finding new people with elder ones is unbearable. Gameplay is too slow by itself, I just dont want to spend another 10 hours just to progress a little more. Basically I just discovered how to make a spike. It's sad to imagine how much I'm missing out but I don't care to know anymore.

This score is well deserved. Either you intended to make that rule or you missed such horribly obvious stupidity, it's sheer atrocity.
  7. Sep 2, 2019
    I don't like rinse and repeat games. This was boring. this goes into 'games I will never play' list
  8. Sep 2, 2019
    I would rate my experience a 10 but the game itself an 8 and will explain why.

The greatest strength of this game is that you feel like you are in control of a living thinking breathing creature. Most games in this genre feel mechanical as if you were shoveling things into a robot. The climbing is as solid as you would expect from the makers of Assassins Creed. The games greatest
    I would rate my experience a 10 but the game itself an 8 and will explain why.

The games greatest strength is that it doesn't explain much beyond controls, but there are some things it should have explained. These thing if explained in game would have spoiled nothing but eliminated much frustration.

The biggest thing is that there is a button to skip cut-scenes while most games flaunt this, this game hides behind the key-binding options. The second big thing is that while crafting you are waiting for a quite tone to release the button.
  9. Aug 29, 2019
    This is a great game that's very rewarding when you figure it out. It's true that it could explain some of the necessary mechanics a bit better, a few players are going to experiment with everything as the developers intended but a majority are probably going to look up some tips on the internet. Then we have the ones that can't even read what little info the game actually gives you andThis is a great game that's very rewarding when you figure it out. It's true that it could explain some of the necessary mechanics a bit better, a few players are going to experiment with everything as the developers intended but a majority are probably going to look up some tips on the internet. Then we have the ones that can't even read what little info the game actually gives you and then come here and leave faulty reviews.

First och all I need to mention that despite what some liars are writing here you can skip the videos by holding the left center button on the xbox controller, not sure what button you need to hold on other inputs.

Secondly, people that are complaining about animal attacks can't have figured out how to make the first basic weapons because once you kill off some of the predators they start respecting you a lot more. If you go exploring with a few Ape buddies and you all have a spear then you should be fine at the start of the game.
  10. Aug 30, 2019
    I have put about 15-20 hours into the game already. Listen, it is not a game if you want to be told what to do. The first hour of the game I was trying to figure out where to even go. This game warns you at the beginning, it's not going to help you. It really won't. But it is an amazing game, a little buggy yes but that is what updates and patches are for. If you like to be challenged,I have put about 15-20 hours into the game already. Listen, it is not a game if you want to be told what to do. The first hour of the game I was trying to figure out where to even go. This game warns you at the beginning, it's not going to help you. It really won't. But it is an amazing game, a little buggy yes but that is what updates and patches are for. If you like to be challenged, trying to figure out what you can do with a branch or leaf then this is the game for you. It's challenging but once you get the hang of it and as the community discovers more, it will be beautiful. Expand
  11. Aug 29, 2019
    So to all those who want to love this...I'm right there with you. But despite wanting to love it...I can't and it doesn't deserve your love.

It was bad enough that it's an epic store exclusive but whatever but to be launched in this buggy broken at times state is unacceptable even in an era where this is all too common. But let's imagine it works. Ancestor is a survival game. But

Ancestor is a survival game. But while game a like the forest or subnaitica are amazing in scope and ambition and follow through. Ancestor reaches for the sky but much like your ape the gsme reaches, misses and fall.

Graphics: they aren't terrible but in 2019 with a kick ass pc they're pretty bad. Almost last gen at times. Also there is little variety. The ui and menus are be at though. But the cut scenes are a night mare and you can't skip them...and they repeat...a lot. Lots of graphical glitches. Clipping and texture and pop-up issues. Average.

Sound: Great but much of its really quiet and they use audio gimmicks for gameplay which aren't obvious. Overall good.

Gameplay: what could have and should have been amazing is pretty poor. Repetitive, boring, uninspired, lazy and disappointing. At times it's ok and shines and you see what you imagined but then it sabotaged itself. It's like the game hates or doesn't care about the player. Traversing is ok though hit and miss. Fighting is really clunky. You do the same thing again and again. And then you die and loose too much. There are other areas outside of the forest but it takes too long and by the game and you don't feel you've achieved much. Overall: average to poor with moments of what could have been.

Lastability: 50 hours if you're insane. Otherwise you'll be board after 7 and not 7 good hours. 7 hard awkward annoying hours and then a little fun and it goes no where for the next 20. Overall long enough but what's the point if it's no fun.

Value : play a demo and have a blast. Wait for a sale. Watch an hour of twitch eitherway as this game is very niche.

I just want to repeat that the devs really screwed all the people who were excited and supportive. It could be fixed if the sorted out the dying and mating and combat and added some more monsters. Also resolved all the bugs etc. But they didn't care about us when they launched this early access game so don't hold your breath. I'd be angry at the devs but they screwed themselves and their wonderful idea the worse.

4/10 (5 If you love monkey /ape or homoids? sex ;)
  12. Aug 27, 2019
    After some hours of doing the same thing over and over, a tiger appearing magically from nowhere (it doesnt matter if u move to a new place he just appear again every few minutes).
    Its boring, buggy and really very bad done. Feels like an Early Access game in all aspects. A waste of money and as usual i cant review the game on the store to warn other users. I give it a 1 because at least the game runs...
  13. Sep 2, 2019
    Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey is a really ambitious game that is actually pretty good. If you go in blind or mostly blind and try to learn everything for yourself at the beginning, it makes the whole game feel more interesting. The map is actually very large and impressive, don't be deceived by the somewhat small beginning area. At some point in the game (10 or so hours) you sort ofAncestors: The Humankind Odyssey is a really ambitious game that is actually pretty good. If you go in blind or mostly blind and try to learn everything for yourself at the beginning, it makes the whole game feel more interesting. The map is actually very large and impressive, don't be deceived by the somewhat small beginning area. At some point in the game (10 or so hours) you sort of figure out the game a bit more and the game-play changes up a bit. But, eventually, no new game-play mechanics are introduced, which is fine for a while, but especially towards the end of the game it gets a bit boring and "grindy". I don't believe that everyone is going to be great at this game, which may be discouraging, but overall the game is pretty fair, I have not had any of my clan members die and and have progressed fairly quickly. Don't be afraid to try new things and explore, as the game rewards you for this. But go at your own pace and when you feel comfortable to be a bit more risky, go for it. Overall, I believe the game is worth at least trying for a few hours if it seems like something you would like. I'm personally really looking forward to the 2nd volume after this game. Expand
  14. Oct 31, 2019
    Oh dear... This game is just so.. Annoying.
    The concept could be great but next time try to work on the gameplay. It's not bad but just a waste of time. There is nothing to do in this game.
    Sadly, yes it is called a "game" Watching doculentary on bbc is more fun.
  15. Aug 31, 2019
    Its a cool,interesting and unique survival game
    One dificulty and interesting gameplay good graphics , good lore and good advance
  16. Aug 30, 2019
    First of all, this game isn't for everyone. It's a niche game about evolution and the hardship that come with it. The game purposefully doesn't give you a lot to go on, because you are supposed to explore.

To address some of the unjustified criticism, there is a skip cut scene option, it's even shown in both the Keyboard & Mouse and in the Controller settings. Personally I have not experienced any major issues in 15 hours of gameplay besides a couple of wild creatures getting stuck in the environment.

Figuring out different combinations of items is a blast and whenever you come across something new you start to wonder how you can combine it with already known items. The world is gigantic and feels very much alive.

After 15 hours I've now started to get to the point where progressions seems to be dragging on a bit too much. The amount of new combinations I can discover during an hour of gameplay has almost reached 0 and the combat doesn't seem to change from the start to the game until the end, which wouldn't be a problem in itself if it was more than just a single correctly timed button press with some RNG element attached to it.

I'm in love with the concept of the game and I'm very excited to see if the Devs can polish the game with future updates to the point where I can recommend the game to everyone, instead of just to a niche audience. For me personally the game is definitefely worth the 40€, but if it ever goes on sale I'd definitely recommend you to pick it up.
  17. Dec 3, 2019
    Games is very very very rough, bad controls, worse horse riding in video games.
  18. Aug 31, 2019
    A very all around polished and deep-but-simple game. Difficulty is there, you have to work out your brain to figure out the game, which will not hold your hand at all so be prepared for a challenge.

The map is gorgeous and fantastic, the apes feel real and their evolution is accurately slow and difficult. The volume 1 of the game just overs about everything you'd expect it to and leaves you hungry for more. Also the evolution skill tree is no joke and the breeding system is on point. The game makes a LOT of sense in the way it works, but you will have to actually try to understand it.
  19. Sep 6, 2019
    Just love it, it is different and makes me to play it for hours...not the best controls, graphics and etc, but game idea is something new!
  20. Aug 29, 2019
    Pay attention to not get eaten and feed yourself and your family.

You really are going to need it. All these people getting eaten did not take the time to learn. Your senses and memory are very important. Remember what does what, maybe store some things in the settlement to cure yourself something. Things take practice. Also you can switch to keyboard in the options. For a new
    Pay attention to not get eaten and feed yourself and your family.

Also you can switch to keyboard in the options.

For a new release too, this game runs smooth on my computer. Usually new releases crash it a lot.

I think this is a wonderful game to be honest.
  21. Aug 28, 2019
    Beautiful environment and an interesting idea, but too many design flaws.

For a game about being "creative" and surviving, there really isn't much to do- eat, drink, procreate, make stick, give stick to other ape, kill a tiger or get killed by one. I don't think dragging yourself through the game at a comatose pace qualifies as fun. Becomes incredibly dull and repetitive really fast.
    Beautiful environment and an interesting idea, but too many design flaws.

Even with a full HUD and full tutorial some things remained unclear. Camera angles can be super awkward sometimes.

Tutorial is really half-assed, some basic mechanics are not even explained. I'd recommend reading a guide to even have an inkling on what to do after the intro because the game sure as hell doesn't care about giving you any directions.
  22. Aug 28, 2019
    This game has exclusive. Because have interesting game objects and unusual gaming experience.
  23. Aug 29, 2019
    So far the game is pretty decent overall. A solid survival title, but has a lot of room for improvement.

Cons: • User Interface can be downright annoying. The camera angles and lack of options for customizing them can also be incredibly frustrating. If you're facing a tree you can't look in 360 or use your senses in that manner either. like my primate can turn his body and head to look

Cons:
    • User Interface can be downright annoying. The camera angles and lack of options for customizing them can also be incredibly frustrating. If you're facing a tree you can't look in 360 or use your senses in that manner either. like my primate can turn his body and head to look over his shoulder...
    There's also no way to monitor what apes are paired with who and which ones are family. A family tree should be implemented for better planning your mating, even if it's something that has to be evolved. The only way to understand these is if you analyze every ape and try to remember who is who, because immediate family members cannot mate. Nothing like playing matchmaker to find out your last two are brother and sister which means you're losing at least two children, which is crucial.

• The game does a horrendous job of explaining the basic mechanics such as mating, which is one of the most important things in the game. ZERO explanation. I get that they wanted the game to be about exploring and learning, but I don't need to learn what hole to stick it in and how, neither to my apes. Another mechanic is the audio ping. ZERO explanation. Every action in game has a "tick" sound when you should execute the action. Grooming, hitting, striking, dodging, etc. Literally every action that has meaning comes with an audio cue for the player.

• The Ape AI is kinda garbage, I get that they're learning, but even when you have some evolutionary feats that say they can do certain things like mimic switching hands and crafting it becomes a giant headache.

• With that said the initial intro to the game becomes incredibly difficult. The player struggles and starts over a few time just to pick up the basic mechanics when they should have been explained better. The premise of it being about exploring and learning with no help so that you get better immersion with the apes is taken a step too far here. Once you have the basic mechanics down it's smooth sailing though.

PROS: After all that nonsense...

• The game is fun to explore. Climbing trees and jumping from canopy to canopy can be quite enjoyable. I never really had the experience where I was falling so often, the game isn't broken here. Other players are just trash at aiming and timing their jumps and swings.

• Though the game starts out incredibly rough and slow, it does get better, faster, and easier as you evolve. Everything from movement, analysis, communication, combat, etc... Think of Kingdom Come: Deliverance in a sense. This can be quite satisfying as it shows true progression (once you nail the basic mechanics and know what you're doing at least).

• The wildlife is not as other reviews make it seem. You don't get stalked and jumped by random spawns. Certain wildlife will linger in areas until they are cleared, they respawn with a new generation, sometimes they do wander as far as I can tell though. Even if you do get jumped by one, you have enough time during the "reaction" phase to dodge and make your way to safety. They can be difficult to kill however because you often lose or break items after a successful hit or a dodge. There are evolutionary feats for this though. Be patient.

OVERALL: If the mechanics were explained better to start, the game would be much more enjoyable for the entirety of the player base. Having to start over repeatedly because you made dumb decisions with your lineage for something that should have been taught from the beginning is mind numbingly frustrating. Quite enjoyable after that however. I've yet to unlock everything and am still experimenting with combos and such. I look forward to seeing where the devs go with updates and DLC. This title has unlimited potential.

Some features are still coming to light as I play. The bonds developed between Apes are not permanent as you can choose a new mate for better family planning.

• Later features come as you evolve through the ages and upgrade your feats.

• Once you discover new locations and build a bigger clan you can restart fresh with custom settings instead of spawning at the default start. These include your biome, the location within the biome, and your clan size. This may make a sizable difference to the player.

The game still needs work, but it can be thoroughly enjoyable if you power through.
  24. Aug 30, 2019
    This game aint for lite gamers or casual gamers. It is for hard core gamers!
    The game is insane hard and I love it! It is a new concept, worth buying. Finally not a grinding game, not a game like 10 others on the market. I am looking forward for chapter 2!
  25. Aug 31, 2019
    This game is very immersive. Hard to explain if you have not played it but somehow, with the rhythm needed, the devs have created a way in that you really feel like you are learning a skill. It is such a great feeling watching yourself and your clan evolve.

This game is new and polished with a solid release. No bugs encountered in 45 hours of gameplay thus far. I have been playing non-stop. I also have noted streamers playing long days because it is pretty addictive. Very immersive.

I am looking forward to the whole Trilogy.
  26. Aug 30, 2019
    One of the most unique and rewarding survival games I've played in recent years. It's uniqueness though won't be for everyone (hence bad scores out of spite). Yes, it could use a bit more polish and time in the oven but for it set out to do it succeds with flying honors. It perfectly gives you the sense of the journey our species went through, how much trial and error we had to endureOne of the most unique and rewarding survival games I've played in recent years. It's uniqueness though won't be for everyone (hence bad scores out of spite). Yes, it could use a bit more polish and time in the oven but for it set out to do it succeds with flying honors. It perfectly gives you the sense of the journey our species went through, how much trial and error we had to endure and how dangerous the world was (Tigers are actual predators, they do not spawn suddenly, they are just hard to notice). I absolutely adore the atmosphere of this game and that sense of discovery. Game controls and systems can sometimes work against but its nothing that cant be fixed. All in all great first game by Panache and can't wait for next chapters. To all of you that would try this game: play with headphones, look for audio cues for almost everything, it helps a lot. Go off and explore, there is a lot of to see (you are huminid, climb damn it) and find - some of the easter eggs/events. Stay away from guides (apart from UI icons description) and, above all else, dont be afraid to restart. I absolutely enjoy this game, and i dont like survival games in general, that says something. Expand
  27. Sep 5, 2019
    Good game with tough beginning. Tutorial is very short but after studying short help in menu all things were almost clear. Fight is super easy once you learn how (release with sound). Only issue I have is of no state of your clan members and one can easily die of bleeding when you do not notice, despite there is medicine all around you. And some bugs.
  28. Sep 9, 2019
    Like Kingdom Come: Deliverance or astroneer (at another level) this game offers a complete immersion.
    Discover its surroundings, taste the assimilable elements. Make your first associations and discoveries, start again to improve your mastery.
    Create and expand your clan, ensure the transmission of knowledge. Then embolden and go to discover the unknown and face the hostile nature.
    Create and expand your clan, ensure the transmission of knowledge.
    Then embolden and go to discover the unknown and face the hostile nature.

It's a refreshing experience, I hope there will be a follow-up and adding content to further diversify the interactions.

Pas de français mais ce n'est pas un frein généralement. Une belle expérience vidéoludique.
  29. Dec 3, 2019
    The horse riding is really wonky, ruins the whole experience. Seriously, what were they thinking?!
  30. Nov 26, 2019
    Amazing game, beautiful world, but punishing!

Amazing game, beautiful world, but punishing!

Overall this is a wonderful experience, but it's not for the faint hearted, and it's not a fast paced mindless shooter or action RPG, it's all about evolution, discovery, and just trying your best to not get f**ked up by basically everything else in the world. Be that because you accidentally ate a poisonous plant, or didn't see the tiger sneeking up behind you while you were desperately trying to quench your thirst.

Nothing is ever really that easy in this game, but the challenges and resultant reward for surviving a generation are awesome. Sure it has a few rough edges, but if you enjoy the challenge of survival games and have an interest in this chapter of evolution, this is the game for you.

This game will definitely upset and frustrate some players over and over again because they aren't good at being patient, or try to tackle something beyond them, but they will know it's because they made a bad choice rather than the games engine killing them due to bugs or other issues.

Essentially, this game is great if you love the subject matter,and enjoy survival games /mechanics, and like managing these attributes. It has a deep beautiful world, with all kinds of challenges to overcome. The skills tree / genetic traits are a wonderful edition to the games core survival, and having your choices impact future generations makes these choices seem even more impactful.

Do not buy this if you think it's Assassin's Creed The Monkey Chronicles, do not buy if you don't enjoy survival games, do not buy if you have the attention span of a GameRanx reviewer, do not buy if you don't have patience.
  31. Aug 31, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very bear bone game. No quests, you need to explore everything yourself. Can be boring after longer time. Expand
  32. Sep 2, 2019
    First few hours of playing this game were pretty interesting. But after those few hours game began to be very boring. You must repeat all your actions again and again in order to evolve a little. Open world is empty, there is almost nothing to do. Game has a good idea, but bad realization.
  33. Sep 2, 2019
    I quite thoroughly enjoyed this game, immersive with every Environment, the Visuals were appealingly stunning. This game doesn't help you out much so you will be on your own quite a bit. you have to learn everything from scratch. If every ape dies you will kill your lineage and you will
    have to restart another lineage so be careful!
    Learning,scanning and exploring are essential so don't
    have to restart another lineage so be careful!
    Learning,scanning and exploring are essential so don't think you can get far with out it.
    of course there are some bugs and some weird controls.
    This is a Evolution game, so there will be hardship an things do take time.
    if you don't like reputation, long hours and labor this game isn't for you.
  34. Sep 2, 2019
    Ancestors is an excellent survival game, it is a little repetitive just like any survival game but I sure hope it sells well so we can see what comes next as this is a totally different game than anything else I have ever played.
  35. Sep 9, 2019
    Only completed it because it costed so much. Fun stops after 5 hours, then the only challenge is to not get your clan killed from boredom or just quit the game because your **** sick of the stalker enemy
  36. Sep 29, 2019
    Portuguese: É um simulador de macaco e o jogador não chega a se tornar o Homo sapiens, tinha tudo para ser bom

English: It is a monkey simulator and the player does not become Homo sapiens, had everything to be good
  37. Oct 11, 2019
    Honestly I did not have any interest for this game before it's release. I decided to give it a chance and I am really enjoying it. The combat is bad, the developers should have added a single button to perform a strike. I end up running away from the predators. Tree traversals are amazing. Feels like Tarzan jumping from one tree to the other.
  38. Aug 27, 2019
    It's a challenging game, if you don't like survival games what are hard then don't buy it. if you like a challenge and your creative or want to learn to be more creative then buy it.

don't try to be a one-man army the game is fairly realistic, if you try to survive on your own and don't use teamwork of your clan its much harder, remember to stock up on useful items or ask your clan to hold useful items as you bring them with you so if one of you get hurt it can be quickly fixed.

I would say bring 4 people, give 2 of them weapons and the other 2 medicine plants for bleeding and poison. you can also bring a fix for broken bones but it's not as life-threating unless you are trying to run from something.

personally, I love a hard game that others struggle to excel at. I and my friends like to play the game to kill any time we have when we bored or need to relax or something.
  39. Aug 27, 2019
    The game is very repetitive, tiger appears from nowhere killing you instantly and also very buggy, it looks like they tried to release the game very early instead of polishing it.
  40. Aug 28, 2019
    This game is a hot mess of 10,000,000 year old ancestor poo.

If you like games that make you feel like your a 10,000,000 ancestor and literally do not know a rock from a stick and want to spend 10,000,000 years evolving to what you currently look in the mirror at every day then this game is for you and rated 10/10. I literally mean exactly what I said above. This game has no tutorial
    This game is a hot mess of 10,000,000 year old ancestor poo.

I literally mean exactly what I said above. This game has no tutorial except a brief one telling you what buttons do what. After that you are on your own and must evolve the species however you see fit. The only problem is that it is as hard as it was 10,000,000 years ago.

The controls in the game gave me a headache, after an hour in I still found myself looking at my controller and saying what the hell button does what. It is not fluid in any shape way or form.

The concept of the game is brilliant but could have been done so much better. Picture Dark Souls difficulty but with a stick as your weapon. Oh wait that's after 5,000,000 years, until then you can only scream and flail your arms. Be ready to die again and again and again.....

I could not get my refund fast enough for this one...... Not for me but maybe its for you. Good Luck!
  41. Aug 31, 2019
    There is no excuse for that kind of wacky controls nowadays. Controls are bad and the rest of the game feels like an endless grind. It has nothing to do with it being difficult or not, it's just really slow.
    And while it sells itself as 'accurate and realistic', 'monkey-man vs nature' and all that stuff it includes ridiculous and typical game 'power-ups' like one fruit that cure all your wounds instantly and another that heals and protect your bones from fall damage. Overall I got the feeling they're trying to cover up the design mistakes with the classical excuse 'it's meant to be like this because hardcore and difficulty', the game is no hard it's just slow and it's not a hardcore game if you can make yourself invincible with no effort at all.
    The idea is great, the game... not so much
  42. Aug 27, 2019
    Tiger: The Cat Odyssey

How to meet a tiger 20 times in 1 hour

Walking with tiger

Tracked by a same tiger for 10,000,000 years.

Every time when you open your eyes, there is a tiger!
  43. Aug 31, 2019
    It's ugly, boring and uninteresting... No remmaping keys, controller mandatory with no reason... Store exclusivity... It's just ridiculous. ---> trashcan.
  44. Nov 28, 2019
    It's the best game i've every played in my life. I've got 500 games on steam, played everything at some point. This game is too good for this world it was made by a genius. Thank God for this game.
  45. Sep 9, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game has poorly conceived user mechanics. What has totally ruined this game for me is the counter-intuitive keyboard commands esp during combat. Why the slow-mow-click-hold-turn(maybe hear an audible clue-what?!)-release crap. I want to watch my game in real-time and combat should be in real-time. And why the sudden (no control on your part) cut to next monkey during these dizzy combat mechanics. Can not recommend this game. Expand
  46. Aug 31, 2019
    This is an amazing game with really nice exploration, amazing biomes, and immersive music. Many people talks about how frustrating the game is in the beginning but I think its purposeful in that our ancestors had no one to help them when they went through evolution. Its really is a different game than any other in recent times and doesn't hand hold you. Be warn that if you're not intoThis is an amazing game with really nice exploration, amazing biomes, and immersive music. Many people talks about how frustrating the game is in the beginning but I think its purposeful in that our ancestors had no one to help them when they went through evolution. Its really is a different game than any other in recent times and doesn't hand hold you. Be warn that if you're not into this genre or evolution for that matter you won't enjoy it. The game is full of surprises and self rewarding discoveries. It feels amazing when you figure something out yourself and make progress in advancing your settlement and exploring new areas of the map. This is the type of game you either love or hate. Expand
  47. Sep 3, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Monkey XP grind simulator 2019

I've sat through about 40 hours of the game and honestly the first 10 were quite enjoyable. Figuring out the mechanics, the crafting combinations was pretty good. But once you figure it all out it really just turns into an exploring game.

Couple major things tho that warrant such a low score
    - You don't even get to become a human at the end, or even get to homo erectus. So much for the "humankind" odyssey, you play 80% of the game as a chimp.
    - There are a total of 3 tools. A grinder, a scraper/chopper and a stick. You could probably figure out all the crafting in a couple hours. There are also only 3 buildings only 1 of which actually does anything.
    - You never discover fire or anything like that
    - Mating and passing on your mutations and leveling up neurons is about 50% of the game and is incredily boring. It is basically composed of holding down a button continuously for 10 minutes. This makes the game super grindy.
    - The tiger is exciting and scary at the start but once you get used to it you notice a pattern. A tiger spawns to follow you everytime you begin a new generation and ends up just being a hassle to deal with. Combat is a little too basic. You literally hold down a button until you hear a noise and thats it.

- The only redeeming factor is the exploration element of the game. The map is quite large and is very well designed and beautiful. Reminds me of dark souls 1 style integrated map with different zone and secret paths inbetween areas. The exploration itself plays like Assassins creed where you have to go to all the eagle viewpoints and you get a little panning shot of the landscape. But if you're not a fan of spending 10 minutes travelling just to explore then this game is not for you.
  48. Aug 27, 2019
    The game is certainly not very historical and does not sparkle with graphics, but at least I like to play it. This is the first interesting game about evolution that I played, although with some errors, but I think the developers will fix them, from the very beginning I really liked it studying the world around us, landscapes at night and a system of neurons. I advise everyone to play this game.
  49. Aug 28, 2019
    Great game,very original concept,kudos to panache entertainment for having the courage to deliver such a ambitious project!
  50. Aug 30, 2019
    I would like to take this time to ask what drugs the developers of this game were on when they made it, because jesus christ they must have been high as a kite when they released this game.

Sharpen a stick that is pointy enough to stab things and think it's useful for self protection? Nope, no chance. What's that, an AI tiger spawned out of thin air and attacked your clan? Great, fend it off with that stick that cannot fend off tigers or any other animal in the game.

"Just don't fight the tiger"

Okay, well then say goodbye to your clan member because the tiger will eat them alive as you escape.

Try to climb a tree to distract said tiger? Sorry, your dopamine levels too low bud, eventually you'll get hysteria and run away automatically, goodbye clan member.

What's that, you were low on food and water when you were teleported to camp? Sorry bud, you just died of thirst and starvation. Dead clan member. What's that, out of clan members after investing over 4 hours of your life to play this craptastic game? Congrats, you can't progress further and the game is soft locked since you cannot evolve as a child ape.

This game lacks any resemblance of playtesting for situations like this that may arrive. It's awkward to control, grab onto things, move around in general. Your scanning ability is locked to a 180 degree cone and you must exit the ability and turn around and use it again if you want to scan in a circle around you, it's very awkward. The game handles even worse especially if you want to do simple actions like defend yourself from prey, there's just no way to do it early on when you need it the most versus tigers. You have a sharp stick for christ sake, POKE the tiger.

Finally, the game practically revolves around you staring at objects in the distance to "learn" what they are, and examining them, that's it. The fun gameplay of climbing trees and doing cool things is just so you can scan items by holding a button, it's not fun or engaging gameplay as the developers may want you to think.

Do not recommend under any circumstances, what a waste of time and potential.
  51. Sep 2, 2019
    When the tutorial said it wasn't going to offer you much help it wasn't kidding. The controls are bad and the gameplay is confusing. You're often interacting with objects in ways you didn't intend and it dumps you into the game to just figure it out on your own with no help.

It was a cool premise with terrible execution. Just not enjoyable. Hard pass.
  52. Aug 29, 2019
    Игра отличная играю не могу оторватся! Багов много но надеюсь их исправят !
  53. Aug 30, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So i love this game, it's hard? Yes, in the beginning without help is challenging but when u can progress u feel so good, it's not a game for everyone. But what can you get? Some immersive enviroment, satisfaction when you discover stuff, excetera.

There's some stuff i didn't liked ofc, like the damn annoying tigers following and attacking you constanlty, or like the fact that the tribe AI sucks a lot, like can't defense themself 90% of the time with a weapon, the crafting team stuff is kinda useless, they can't auto heal themself even if u make them craft the aloe or the greeny grass for bleeding, u have to force give it in hand, they can't auto feed / take fruits from the tree, and is a lot time consuming and stressful, damn hand-to-hand.
    And they can't feed from the stuff on the ground or piled, and thats annoying, yes.

It would be nice if they actually eat / drink / sleep themself for a more immersive game like "Oh look him going to eat" Ecc. They should be more autonomous in these stuff, but i can pass on all this stuff, i liked the game anyways.

We need more life for the AI of your people, more "I can't babysit all of you everytime"

I hope in a lot of improvents for this game and i hope in a sequel from the end of this game to the sapiens sapiens, i want to see more humans mutations, fire, weapons, the first clothes made from the skin of the new animals, i want to live the glacial era, kill a mammoth in group, wolves.

This game have so much potential, but need some improvements.

For me it's an 8 for the idea and the game in general
    6 for the "not so much cooperating tribe", there's some work to do, but it's ok

Developers, you have my entire support for this project, i really hope you can keep on getting better!
  54. Sep 1, 2019
    Ich hatte nichtmal 10min spaß...............................................................
  55. Aug 27, 2019
    gostei muito do game, muito envolvente, e estratégico, tem alguns bugs chatos, como o Hominideo não conseguir escalar as árvores enquanto esta sendo perseguido por um predador, e isso é muito chato, de resto, achei bem aceitável, como a árvore de habilidades, porém não seja perfeita com uma grande variedade de habilidades diferentes ela é aceitável
  56. Aug 27, 2019
    Really good Game with a new Fresh approach to the Survival Genre. If you love to lose yourself, and discover all possibilities by trying and exploring, this is your type of game. Game has interesting new mechanics and graphics looks solid. Congrats to Panache & PD!
  57. Dec 4, 2019
    First off, I've definitely played this game and beat it. I find the horseracing to be bland, and as it's such a huge part of the game, it's pretty disappointing. The space combat was also pretty terrible if you ask me.
  58. Dec 7, 2019
    One of the very best games i've ever played. Gorgeous and innovating. Light on content past the first evolution tho. Still worth a buy.
  59. Sep 3, 2019
    Like biting into a world-class burger to find a patty made of cardboard.

Like biting into a world-class burger to find a patty made of cardboard.

This game boasts incredible design and innovation but stalwartly refuses to become fun at any point. If you like figuring things out for yourself and taking on a challenge . . . this game doesn't quite know how to give that to you. If you give up on the challenge and want a more guided experience . . .this game also doesn't know what to offer you.

This plays like a game designed for a different subspecies of human.
  60. Sep 1, 2019
    Why would someone want to play as an inferior being? I already know how to sharpen a stick and make a bed out of leaves. What I don't have the ability to do is fly and shoot balls of lightning out of my hands. Now that's a game I want to play, not monkey simulator. I really can't understand why anyone enjoys this game and the problem is that I want to understand.
  61. Sep 7, 2019
    мне очень понравилась игра,своим выживанием на открытом мире
  62. Sep 22, 2019
    La idea y la ambientacion son muy buenas pero el juego carece de buenas mecanicas de combate y crafteo... las especies de animales y plantas son pocas y de repiten demaciado pero el juego es entretenido y la sensacion de avanzar en conocimiento y habilidad lo hace muy entretenido .. recomendable.
  63. Dec 4, 2019
    I liked the atmosphere of the game, gameplay, graphics and other things. I've reached the end of the game, I've got about 120 hours of gameplay, I'm at 95% complete, there's very little left to be done. But I think that with DLC's the game is more complete and has content like: "The emergence of fire" and "After the fire".
  64. Dec 10, 2019
    A lot of fun. A bit of a learning curve but once you get it you will love it.
  65. Jan 14, 2020
    Perfect game, for intelligent people. Forget about all the freanzyness of the recent games. This is a game for a very specific public. I cant stop playing.
  66. Jan 16, 2020
    Is a best game that a I play. I love to evolve and learn history. Also i know is dificcult but When u understand the mechanincs os so easy. Actually i hace recent the astrolopithecus
  67. Mar 9, 2020
    This is one of the best evolution/survival games I've ever played since Spore. It's very rewarding everytime you discover a new animal or action. Same with evolving to a different species with their looks changed and voices as well. The music is very exhilarating, it plays at the right times, for example, when you get chased by a machirodus the action music starts playing and at night, aThis is one of the best evolution/survival games I've ever played since Spore. It's very rewarding everytime you discover a new animal or action. Same with evolving to a different species with their looks changed and voices as well. The music is very exhilarating, it plays at the right times, for example, when you get chased by a machirodus the action music starts playing and at night, a very peaceful music plays, it really sets the mood.

Therefore, this game is very original and simply interesting. I really can't wait for a sequel or a DLC.
  68. Apr 24, 2020
    REVIEW EN ESPAÑOL
    --------------------------------
    Cuando la inmersión supera la realidad. Soy de aquellos que creen en la inteligencia colectiva. Siempre antes de jugar un juego que,a priori me parece interesante, leo las reviews. Confío en que entre mucha gente los resultados no pueden ser muy erroneos. En general funciona, pero ésta obra de arte es la excepción. Antes de explicar
    REVIEW EN ESPAÑOL
    --------------------------------
    Cuando la inmersión supera la realidad.

Antes de explicar porqué, es importante una aclaración: este juego NO ES para todo el mundo, al igual que Red Dead Redemption 2 (otra obra maestra). Para arrancar, tal y como lo explica el juego bien claro, no vas a recibir mucha ayuda. Por supuesto que la primera vez los tutoriales guían muchísimo, pero realmente la experiencia está en descubrir todo por uno mismo. Vas a morir, te vas a frutrar, no vas a entender bien al principio ni cómo sobrevivir ni cuál es el punto de sobrevivir. Después de algunas pocas horas, vas a ir avanzando poco a poco y entendiendo las mecánicas del juego. Cuando te das cuenta, se te fue el día. ESE es el nivel de inmersión que este juego genera.
    Pocas veces me encuentro títulos con los cuales me siento PARTE de algo. Metro Exodus, por ejemplo, es uno de ellos, o el ya mencionado RDR2.
    En la teoría es bien simple: un survival de animales. Pero el nivel de realismo y complejidad que se ha logrado con este juego es realmente asombroso. Al punto tal que duele leer críticas tan absurdas. SÍ, un tigre te va a comer. SÍ, te vas a enfermar sin saber curarte. Y ahí está la belleza de esta obra: la evolución del jugador y su clan junto con el ambiente (exquisitamente recreado, vale decir). En mis más de 25 horas de juego en 3 días, no he encontrado ni un solo BUG que sea lo suficientemente notorio como para arruinar semejante inmerción, así que a esas críticas tampoco les encuentro sentido.
    Me extendí mucho porque siento que el puntaje de este juego es MUY injusto, y quería dar mi visión de porqué.
    Si te gustan los desafíos, si te gustan los survival games, si te interesa la premisa del juego, si te gustan los paisajes bien recreados, los animales imponentes, y si te gusta la naturaleza y la historia, te aseguro que ESTE es el juego que estabas esperando.
  69. Nov 6, 2019
    this is such an interesting idea for a game, but it wasnt properly adjusted for a game.
    too big, too repetitive. like, i know it wasnt easy in real life, but some things dont need to be that realistic in a video game.
    but man, i really hope there's a part two or a sequence, dlc, update, anything.
  70. Sep 2, 2019
    This is a great game with most STUPID, IDIOTIC controls system ever invented for a game in colaboration with his camera.

And if they wanted to make from this game to be a compressed simulation of that time, they succeeded, but as a game it demands too much effort for too little reward "The novelty of detecting something by sound or scent wears off almost immediately due to

"The novelty of detecting something by sound or scent wears off almost immediately due to repetition and awkward controls. When I want to use my senses to investigate something, I need to stop moving completely. Then I need to make sure I'm not close to any rock, stick, plant, or food item or I'll get the prompt to interact with that item instead of the prompts to use my senses. So there's a lot of moving and stopping, then shuffling around because I stopped too close to something else. It's awkward instead of instinctive, which isn't great for a game about being a creature of instinct. Even just trying to target another hominid for an interaction is a fiddly annoyance, like the endless backrubs I need to perform in hopes of convincing one to mate with me"
  71. May 2, 2020
    The game might be good, the graphics, animations and the map itself are quite impressive and very well done, some panoramas are really beautiful, the music/ambiance is very good too.... but some gameplay design ruins totally the whole experience and at the end the game is far too repetitive ...They had to cut corners and you feel it...they are too many gamepad manipulations for nothing,The game might be good, the graphics, animations and the map itself are quite impressive and very well done, some panoramas are really beautiful, the music/ambiance is very good too.... but some gameplay design ruins totally the whole experience and at the end the game is far too repetitive ...They had to cut corners and you feel it...they are too many gamepad manipulations for nothing, the AI of the apes is widely not enough accurate, the attack possibilities and all this crap about switching arms every minute are very bad, its feels unpolished and rushed... and yes ...its the damned cat that made me leave and desinstall the game after maybe 20 hours. I was sick to search for the 100 times some nuts or herbs for this bleeding injuries..to have an eternal cat hunting you every 15 mns is a cool idea on paper but not in a game that deserves 50 hours to be completed.. il feels like an early access game, its true, you have to fight with the rules of the game and the game it self Expand
  72. Aug 31, 2019
    Is this game for everyone, clearly not, but this game deserves more than a 0.
    It's sad to see people giving a 1 or a 0 and posting troll reviews when the developers clearly put lots of love into the game.
    The game doesn't hold your hand besides the help screen when you pause the game. It's a really good survival game with an original theme. The game Reddit is full of people trying to
    Is this game for everyone, clearly not, but this game deserves more than a 0.

It's a really good survival game with an original theme.
    The game Reddit is full of people trying to understand the game more intricate mechanics and that reminds me of how games were back then, how you discussed it with your friends to find secret stuff.
    Overall, one of my favorite game experiences of 2019.
  73. Dec 4, 2019
    A Grindy game with a forced gameplay Soft reset / loop and some of the hardest control system :/ also your AI buddys arent the smartest really.

this entire game feels like Early access / a base of a game that could evolve with further developement.... just unfinished.
  74. Aug 29, 2020
    What a piece of crap, this game is just a hollow shell, the idea of the game is good but poorly executed. not to mention this game was a 1 year exclusive for epic store, did they use the extra money to improve the game? Nope. Avoid at all cost.
  75. Sep 17, 2020
    Been playing for a total of 12 hours so far and I'm highly enjoying it. There is so much thought and effort behind their work for this game that gets my attention, even if it has some flaws in some areas. I give this game a 10 because I think we need to give encouragement to get similar but even better and improved version of these games in the future. I don't think the game is complicatedBeen playing for a total of 12 hours so far and I'm highly enjoying it. There is so much thought and effort behind their work for this game that gets my attention, even if it has some flaws in some areas. I give this game a 10 because I think we need to give encouragement to get similar but even better and improved version of these games in the future. I don't think the game is complicated as many claim it to be. You unlock most of your basic skillsets through trial and error which fits well with their concept of evolution. The controls are a bit clunky and might be in need of improvement especially if you play with keyboards, but you get used to it and it's not a big deal to be honest. The concept and idea is very interesting and think we need similar but better versions of games like these as mentioned above. There is always room for improvement. Expand
  76. Jun 9, 2020
    EDIT: -2 points for not fixing anything since release and instead focusing your energy on whining about unfair treatment and oh so obviously dumping 10 point reviews. I retract my statement that the company deserves your support.

You can find a lot of potential and an *idea* of a great game, but while you are fighting the controls and the pretentious wannabe scientific language to explain the most mundane tasks to stay "challenging" you fail to find the fun in this one.

All of this happens in an environment that is completely static once your first fascination wears off. Everyone and everything is just sitting around, doing nothing, waiting for you to take control of them to repeat the same tasks over and over again.

The only times wildlife interacts with each other is in cutscenes and of course to chase you around, and all the intimidation in the world doesn't impress badly coded AI. All progress in the game is barred by rhythm games, time limits and QTE's, and of course following the steps the developers thought of and guessing which steps they *did not* think of when figuring out new tools or ways to handle your tribe.

It is nice to see this type of game making a comeback, trying out new subjects and mechanics. It's the only reason why I don't regret spending money on this, I want to see more games like this. It's also the only reason why I would recommend this, but thanks to the chosen platform there also won't be a whole lot of communication between the developer and the community, which stands in the way of improvements for the future.
  77. Sep 6, 2019
    I have a hard time finding games worth putting my time into. Maybe because I'm a game developer myself or maybe because I'm sick and tired of chewing the same **** over and over. I mean ok shooting stuff or working your way through a horde of enemies, to leave them behind as piles of dead meat, sure is fun, but for how long? (20+ years??) And ok changing the environment is cool, but itI have a hard time finding games worth putting my time into. Maybe because I'm a game developer myself or maybe because I'm sick and tired of chewing the same **** over and over. I mean ok shooting stuff or working your way through a horde of enemies, to leave them behind as piles of dead meat, sure is fun, but for how long? (20+ years??) And ok changing the environment is cool, but it doesn't change the fact I'm still doing the same, just with a different backdrop!
    Ancestors is different, and for that alone I would rate it 11/10, but I don't believe in perfection so it's 9/10.
    Ancestors punishes you where most other games reward you; go out an be a hero, act as if you are invincible! If you get hurt, time (as in a few seconds) will make you perfectly healthy again. And if you didn't back of with all of these tens of bullets in you and the screen flashing red and you do die, no worries you can pick up asskicking rambo style just a few meters from where you died!
    Not Ancestors, noooo, if you exhaust yourself, you die, if you don't tend your wounds, you die, if you don't find that antidote to the poison running through your vains, you die, if you don't eat or drink enough, you die, and dying here is permanent. You die, you switch to an other clan member, if all females are dead you can't evolve anymore, if all your clan members are dead, that's it, you start the game from scratch with a new lineage. But this time more careful and more vigilant! You actually EVOLVE your gameplay style!
    But Ancestors is not just survival, it wants you to be patient, logic, experimental, smart, curious, strategic and even mature.
    It's one of the rare games where an openworld is not just a way to choose a path to go in guns blazing or ninja style. No it actually is a core gameplay element. Exploring makes you smarter, or fearful for the unknown if you go to far and unprepared. It makes you smarter by discovering new things which give you new ideas and new opportunities to experiment with, come up with new tools or new ways to use old tools. Choosing your path can mean the difference between getting killed or survival, finding this perfect elevated spot for a settlement, close to a big tree to flee from danger, a nice water stream and lots of food, can mean the difference between your clan being wiped out or becoming dominators of that domain! It's a strategy game in the sense that you grow stronger, go further, conquer new land and rule it as the alpha specie!
    It's all this and so much more! Reviews giving it 4/10 or even less then a 7/10 obviously lost their brain somewhere along playing to much codblops and watching marvel cg mistaken it for movies.
    Anyway who I'm I to judge...

One last thing, which maybe purely personal, but I never felt as emotionally attached to any game character as I do to these apes, MY APES!!
  78. Sep 14, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is truly incredible.. when you first play it

You are thrown into the deep end with no knowledge of what is going on or what to do. Now before we go any further, let me say this. I have read of many people getting annoyed by the fact that there is no starter tutorial or the lack of direction as soon as you start the game. I witnessed streamers screaming and ranting that the game is trash because they don't know what to do. This is EXACTLY how this game should be and I am so glad that the developers did it this way. You are starting out as a clueless ape, and the fact that you are told nothing truely takes the immersion to the next level

The very point and goal of this game is to try to evolve faster than your ancestors. I'll be honest my first 2 games were disastrous, I killed a lot of apes, there were weird constructions around my camp, I killed all my adults which basically led to extinction because I didn't know that I could find wild apes to recruit.

The beautiful thing is every time I restarted the game from scratch with a new lineage, It was cleaner, I knew how to build and what to build quicker from my previous attempts, I learnt how to craft new things, new weapons, I felt braver and explored more, I learnt what the plants do and what gives me buffs or debuffs. I was literally evolving. The skill tree is also MASSIVE and you will learn and unlock some valuable skills along the way

This game is fantastic. Would I advice someone to buy it? Possibly, on a sale (and on steam)

Pros
    A challenging learning curve
    It's visually beautiful
    The concept of the game is genius
    It will keep you entertained for a long time
    The map is enormous with different biomes and enemies
    Early game will leave you salivating with the exploration and crafting options

Cons
    A challenging learning curve
    It is an epic exclusive at the moment
    End game can be tedious
    it can get repetitive
    The attacking system is PURE garbage. dodge or counterattack are your only options (seriously hope they fix this )
    the stalker cat. It will constantly harass you until you kill it, it then goes on a timer and comes back later again and again and again
  79. Sep 15, 2019
    Very good game have a good history aaaa aaaaaa a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a
  80. Sep 16, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What is it? A single-player Lineage 2 demo?

The entire game is about grinding. You have to repeat the same acitons over and over, over and over. Dodging each animal's attack for hours. Killing each animal for hours. Forcing your monkey squad to frick each other simply to "lock" your perks, which are totally useless. Sharpening hundreds of the god damn sticks. Stabbing animals with those god damn sticks even more often.

And what's the reward? There's none.

There's no point in evolving. The majority of perks be, like, "-25% probability of dropping items upon being attacked" and "+15% poison resist". There's no difference between the monkeys species. At all.

The only good thing about Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey is a huge-'S' map. It's kinda interesting to explore. Buuuutt... You don't need any of these freaking upgrades to explore it. Just hit the "New Game" button and you're free to run around.

Oh, did I mention that you can't really become a human being in the game called "The Humankind Odyssey"?
  81. Oct 2, 2019
    AncestorsTHO is a crazy fun trippy game that has you thinking harder than you might think you could lol. Can't wait to get it on the xbox too. It's a must play for anyone without ADD or ADHD. And for those of you with those things, good luck my brother had no patience for the game.
  82. Jul 23, 2020
    I feel its really unfair for this game. I know its in epic store and epic is **** but the creator of this game its not epic games. I've played and its a really great game. I feel there is a lot of stupid people. Like, some saying "you cant do anythig else than drink have some food, kill stuff, etc...dude you are freaking monkey what the hell were you expecting?!?!
  83. Dec 4, 2019
    there is such a repetitive game, with many bugs and a very very bad history, ambitious but misapplied
  84. Apr 14, 2020
    The wost game i have played in a long while. It is so decisivily bad that I have created my first account in a analysis page to vote against it. Do not deserve your time, money or attention. The control is confuse, the instructions are unclear, the (many) limitations are huge... If the only thing you understand in my broien english is: Ancestor is trash, then you are in tje correctThe wost game i have played in a long while. It is so decisivily bad that I have created my first account in a analysis page to vote against it. Do not deserve your time, money or attention. The control is confuse, the instructions are unclear, the (many) limitations are huge... If the only thing you understand in my broien english is: Ancestor is trash, then you are in tje correct conclusion. I was Expand
  85. Jul 24, 2020
    ITALIAN:
    Ho abbandonato il gioco dopo poco.
    Graficamente buono e idea di base interessante, però è esageratamente complesso. Inoltre il gameplay, pur essendo realizzato dall'ideatore di Assassin's Creed, non è entusiasmante.

In pratica sembra un gestionale con il gameplay di un gioco d'azione.
  86. May 25, 2020
    The game is extremely immersive and gives you a real sense of environment and role as a primate. The game had my attention completely until I realized there was not much else to do once I had put in a certain amount of hours besides exploring more. The implementation of an advanced building mechanic or progressive colonization in a patch could bring me back instantly.

In summary, just

In summary, just needs more content. If it was as vast as rockstar games titles it would be a hit!
  87. Jun 3, 2020
    It is a fun game but it is sometimes is a bit confusing. A level that is supposed to take 5 minutes took around 15-20.
  88. Sep 12, 2020
    I made an account just to review this game. It is **** literal, absolute garbage. So many decent general ideas ham-fistedly packed into such a poorly designed, obtuse package. That the designer worked on Assassin's Creed makes me believe he contributed NOTHING to those games; Desilets should be out of a job. The controls, gameplay, and the amount of stuff to do in game are woefullyI made an account just to review this game. It is **** literal, absolute garbage. So many decent general ideas ham-fistedly packed into such a poorly designed, obtuse package. That the designer worked on Assassin's Creed makes me believe he contributed NOTHING to those games; Desilets should be out of a job. The controls, gameplay, and the amount of stuff to do in game are woefully lacking, and it seems fairly obvious that this was just created as some sort of half-baked tech demo for a new company who, honestly, shouldn't have any access to game development resources, as aptly proved by this 'game'. Graphics are substandard, engaging gameplay is non-existent, goals are...well, there aren't any. Unless you can get this in a humblebundle or in someway were the price layout is under, say...$1, than go ahead and pick it up. Otherwise, avoid this monkey like the plague that infests its rotting carcass. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 71 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 28, 2020
    The game has an original setting and at first attractive environment. Unfortunately for players, millions of years are truly dragging, and the sluggish gameplay makes the struggle for survival a struggle for your own sanity. [Issue#298]
  2. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Oct 11, 2019
    Poor climbing and fighting aside, the gameplay loop is mind-numbingly tedious: eat, drink, make babies, sleep. Keep doing that for hours, and you’ll unlock one semi-useful perk or another, so you can eat, sleep and drink some more. [Issue#240, p.40]
  3. Sep 27, 2019
    For anyone interested in a rough idea of what our early ancestors went through as they slowly evolved over time… this game does offer an effective look and feel for that. It has some pretty irritating issues… but for the most part it is likely to draw you in and see you exploring your environment trying to unlock that next ability that will unlock the next branch on the family tree. Evolutionary denialists… well I assume they are not even considering this title anyway, for everyone else… if you can get past the hangups… Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey actually manages to mix a bit of education with an interesting game that may well find you absorbed for hours on end.