7.1

1. Sep 1, 2014
    I just bought Contagion from Steam for only $5 and for the money, it's well worth it. So far though, I've yet to get past single player Roanoke set to Normal. I'll probably end up resetting to Easy and I never play FPS games on Easy!

The Good. Contagion is fun to play and very addictive. The player is forced to plan ahead and to keep a clear escape route directly behind them. Avoiding damage at all cost. For example, use a grenade or IED at the end of a long hallway after the Z's break through a door at the other end. Pretty cool.

The Cons. A player takes way too much damage from a single zombie swing. A few swings and it's over. Not good. If you use melee weapons like an ax, there's a good chance you'll be disappointed. To be effective, the melee weapons require fine grained accuracy. Good luck using them without taking any significant damage. I got tagged repeatedly by a crawling Z because I kept missing him with a fire ax. Not good.
  2. May 8, 2015
    An extremely clunky slow paced zombie FPS. It sucks all around. The gunplay is terrible, the zombie ai is abysmal, the hitboxes are just broken beyond belief and the maps are easy to exploit. Also, almost everyone just camps. The game is also dead, you will be lucky if there are 50 people playing this piece of garbage. On top of all of this, the developers are banning people and flaggingAn extremely clunky slow paced zombie FPS. It sucks all around. The gunplay is terrible, the zombie ai is abysmal, the hitboxes are just broken beyond belief and the maps are easy to exploit. Also, almost everyone just camps. The game is also dead, you will be lucky if there are 50 people playing this piece of garbage. On top of all of this, the developers are banning people and flagging negative reviews on their steam forums. On top of THAT numerous developers have LEFT the company and the games promised updates are extremely long and in between. STAY AWAY. Expand
  3. Jun 2, 2015
    This title had so much promise, but ultimately has failed to deliver on the promise or hype over the years. It is most certainly not a bad game, but it will never be a great like Zombie Panic!: Source.

Pros: The graphics and map designs are between excellent and outstanding. The game modes are solid, though with few populated servers (more on that in a moment), those that require more than one player really aren't an option. The weapon selection is pretty good when compared to similar offerings. The characters available are pretty good and some are from the much beloved ZP:S. The player controlled zombies are, thankfully, not nerfed and you can actually win as a zed. The overall atmosphere is dark, spooky, and what you'd like to see in a zombie game.

Cons: There are a handful of outstanding glitches that can be annoying for some players. The melee system is passable, but can't hold a candle to other zombie titles. Game updates have been painfully slow and scheduled updates have been missed repeatedly. There is no way to remove trolls and griefers from a server (e.g., vote kick), so you either have to endure their antics, or simply disconnect. The developers have stated this will be addressed in a future update, but as of this writing, it has not.

Which brings me to the community: it is nearly dead already. In the last few months, the number of populated servers tends to hover around six, give or take one or two depending upon the hour. There are many hundreds of completely empty servers. The populated servers are playing the same old maps that have been played to death since late 2013. Some are keeping hope alive that the much awaited updates will revitalize the game, but I, frankly, doubt it will matter at this point. It may have earlier in the year.

As they are both zombie games, Source-based and released around the same time, there is a lot of comparisons to No More Room in Hell thrown around. While not an entirely fair comparison as their gaming mechanics are a bit difference, they are similar enough. NMRiH, with a few exceptions, is the better title, is receiving more frequent updates, and it is available completely free.

In conclusion, this isn't a bad game, but it isn't a great one either. If you are a hardcore Zombie Panic! fan, you likely already own it. If you really like the zombie FPS genre, I'd say pick it up as the price of admission is worth a few hours of fun. If you are a more casual gamer, however, you might want to skip this one as you'll likely be disappointed. With only a handful of populated servers, unchecked griefing in some, nagging glitches, and a sluggish update cycle, it probably isn't enough bang for your buck.
  4. Oct 9, 2014
    Incredibly disappointing game. Also very sad that the developer felt the need to come on Metacritic immediately after the game's release and use fake accounts like "Sniper1Wolf" and "BlastRhin0" to artificially try to improve their score.
    Let the Steam reviews speak for themselves. This game is buggy, choppy, and did not deliver on its promises or live up to expectations.
  5. Apr 28, 2014
    Had much potential and hopes before the full release, cause pvp seemed original with the smartphone, sadly the gameplay is still stiff. Many promises were made yet not kept from the developers.
  6. Sep 29, 2014
    Short, boring with confusing map design. Zombies have AI issues (and they glide for some reason)
    PvP is completely redundant and pointless, even though the shooting mechanics are fun.
    That said it is kinda pretty, but there are better (and free!) competitors there.
    They should have done a commercial Zombie Panic! instead of this turd.
  7. Nov 11, 2014
    The game sucks, period. It tried to cash in on the success of L4D which stopped being popular 5 years ago and failed miserably.

They put the game on sale for $3 during early access and the game still couldn't pick up a dedicated community. A couple months after full release, people still weren't buying this piece of crap, so they put it up for a free weekend, still dead. TL;DR Game

TL;DR
    Game sucks, game is dead, don't waste your money.
  8. Aug 28, 2014
    The game is fun for about 2 hours, after that, it's redundant and repetitive. There is absolutely no depth to the game.
    It also brings nothing new to the shooter genre.
    Do not buy.
  9. Aug 19, 2014
    THE BAD

Movement can sometimes feel clunky, for example, when running and stopping it almost feels like you're on ice, slipping around. There's just something that doesn't feel quite right. However, for the most part, the controls are as responsive as they need to be to make an enjoyable game. The animations are pretty rudimentary, not very detailed and generally look awkward. This
    THE BAD

The animations are pretty rudimentary, not very detailed and generally look awkward. This is more forgiveable on the zombies, because, well, they're zombies. However, some of the animations on the player models could use more than a little work. I'm not sure where the Contagion devs stand on this and whether or not animations are at all on their "to do list", and to be perfectly honest, I can live with the animations as is, but some improvements would make for a more immersive experience. The worst offender in this case is trying to board up windows and doors where the animations will bug out almost every time and don't seem to play correctly, ever.. It doesn't stop you from actually boarding anything, however, so its not game breaking, just immersion breaking (I leave it to the reader to decide how egregious that is, I'm not necessarily looking for an immersive experience with games like Contagion - I recommend Day Z for that) .

Some of the maps... to be perfectly frank, are just boring. Rananoke PD being (my opinion) the worst offender. It's just so bland and uninteresting, though I honestly couldn't suggest how to make a Police department interesting, and it is a location you would expect to find in this setting for any discerning zombie survivalist. I think, in an attempt to address to the "blandness" of this map, the Contagion devs decided to expand on its concept by making it a virtual prison, complete with tiers and mess halls. I'm not sure how accurate that is of real life as I understand most jails are actually independent of any police station. It also doesn't do much except add to the length of the map.

Sound effects... Are just not that great. Especially the guns, with the possible exception of the m4 and AKM, are not what I would call stellar. Not much music to speak of, I think the only track is the menu music, though this game, arguably, doesn't really need much in the way of music anyway. It sort of adds to the deadness of the atmosphere and the idea that man's time on earth is potentially up. However, that could just be this authors bias presenting itself as I quite like this game.

THE GOOD

- game play. Besides the sometimes clunky movement is really, really good. It emphasizes teamwork and punishes lone wolves (usually with a horrible, bitey death). Even on lower difficulties, without care, you can find yourself in a sticky situation. The emphasis on headshots (a la Romero "head shots only" zombies) and primarily slow moving zombies and the necessity to conserve ammo make for a more interesting and deep cooperative experience than contemporaries, like, say L4D1/2. Attempts to take on the zombie horde lone hero will more than likely result in death. In fact, if you can avoid the zombies altogether, that's usually the better option, again, unlike L4D where you are essentially forced into killing every single zombie that gets in your path. In this way it makes somewhat of an attempt to make it more realistic, ammo is scarce, so don't waste it on a slow moving target across the map that will never catch up to you.

- Taking ques from its predecessors. This game is, in no doubt, highly influenced by popular games such as Left For Dead. It not only takes into consideration that things it did right, but the things it did wrong as well. Contagion, while similar in many ways, has also carved out its own unique niche, making it a distinctly different game. "Special infected" are handled much like L4D's "uncommon-common infected" such as the riot gear wearing zombies in some campaigns. These make an appearance in Contagion as well, and for a disorganized team, can mean total disaster. In many ways when you see these types of zombies it's more of an "oh **** moment because they are actually hard to deal with. In L4D coop modes I (and most other people) can solo anything without so much as a second thought. Tank? Molotov and run the timer down. There's no such easy options in Contagion, however. Sure, you can run from it, leave it behind, but chances are you're back tracking through that same area meaning you'll have to deal with this fully armored zombie eventually.

Annnnd I'm running out of space (stupid 5k word limit!), so I'll cut to chase: If you like L4D, you'll probably like this game, especially if you like a challenge and a more "realistic" environment. I would give this game a full 8/10 if it felt finished, but it doesn't... And that's probably because its still under active development with content coming at a fairly regular pace. Recommend it to any zombie fans!
  10. Aug 20, 2014
    I am afraid after giving this game a go month after month there just doesn't seem to be any new things or shaping up... They promised new animations but nothing as of yet... The animations really suck and it makes the game-play horrid! Try give your opinions in the forum the dev, well I think CEO of the game will just ban you... really bad customer support for this game....
  11. Aug 20, 2014
    as soon as a i join a server i dont know what teh fu** i need to do... it like the devs of this game think we should know exactly everything what to do without any help at all?!
  12. Apr 30, 2014
    Played the game for quite some time now and while I can say it has good to it. It just doesn't have staying power. The only mode I have played, that really captures the zombie feeling, is the escape mode and there is only one map that even allows it, the prison. Honestly these 10 ratings are clearly biased, There is no way the game deserves a 10. If they could make every map have escapePlayed the game for quite some time now and while I can say it has good to it. It just doesn't have staying power. The only mode I have played, that really captures the zombie feeling, is the escape mode and there is only one map that even allows it, the prison. Honestly these 10 ratings are clearly biased, There is no way the game deserves a 10. If they could make every map have escape modes, elaborate on that design a bit. Then they would have something closer to a 10. Animations are rugged, graphics are nice but starting to show their age. Being that way before the game is even final, is an issue. Especially when the game it's self doesn't run very well. Being a dual gtx 680 system, most games should run well and yes I disabled sli to see if there was a difference, nope.. So imho the game is fun and it's a fair buy for 20 bucks. It has some solid ground work and some great potential with the escape mode. With improvements, the game has the potential to be a serious contender but currently it is just ok. That's not such a bad thing though, I have seen people do much worse with much more resources. The team should be proud of the work but should build apon it and try to flush out the dream they had, when initially creating this game. Stop living in the box. Expand
  13. May 10, 2014
    This game, in its current state, is very firmly a 7. It could easily have the potential to be a 9 very soon, but for now it still leaves something to be desired. There are 3 modes: Escape, Extraction, and Hunt. Escape is a very L4D-style run through the map and try to survive. Extraction is basically a take on Horde-style holding a point against waves of enemies combined with escortThis game, in its current state, is very firmly a 7. It could easily have the potential to be a 9 very soon, but for now it still leaves something to be desired. There are 3 modes: Escape, Extraction, and Hunt. Escape is a very L4D-style run through the map and try to survive. Extraction is basically a take on Horde-style holding a point against waves of enemies combined with escort quests. To me, both of these modes are pretty shallow and don't really have much that keeps me wanting to play them more than a couple times.

The real fun to be had in this game is in the third mode: Hunt. Hunt is an up to 8 person free-for-all where the goal is to be the last person alive. There are zombies everywhere that you must deal with in addition to other humans, and when a person dies they become a zombie as well who tries to hunt the remaining humans. Everyone starts with essentially the same equipment: a random melee weapon and a pistol. A ton of random weapons and ammo are placed around the levels so you're supposed to want to try to fight through zombies in order to secure equipment and be better prepared to take down other players (as well as survive the zombies). In reality, that's not really what happens. The zombies are comically easy to avoid in the beginning of the game because there are usually very few bunched up, which will happen later due to gunfire, and there are no player zombies (the only zombies who really have a chance to catch you while you're running).

So what happens is that everyone just sprints to the nearest location they know that spawns weapons and hopes for something good. Thus, your likelihood of winning the game is mostly determined by where you spawn and the RNG of the weapon-spawner (unless you do lame it up, which I'll get into later). If you get one of about five different weapons (2 SMGs, 2 assault rifles, or the best shotgun), it is impossible to ever lose a gunfight to someone with a pistol and thus you will simply dominate anyone you see early on who wasn't similarly lucky (which creates a very unfun mechanic of "oh look, the first person I ran into, 20 seconds into the game, had an AR15, I lose... awesome!) And speaking of the AR15, this gun is just brokenly stupid. The other assault rifle, the AK, has terrible recoil and thus is very difficult to kill at a distance with the ironsight. The MP5 is probably the second best gun, but is significantly far behind the AR simply because it has difficulty killing people at range. The AR dominates close and long range. An easy solution to the early gun lottery would be to make strong weapons start without ammo so that it takes longer before that amazing assault rifle you found comes online. It's still RNG, which sucks, but at least it wouldn't feel so punishing so soon into the match.

There are also a lot of bugs in the game, not the least of which is hit detection and randomly invulnerable zombies. With your melee weapon you can one-shot zombies by using your power attack (right-click) and hitting them in the head. Except sometimes you can't. Sometimes you can hit the same zombie (AI zombie, not even a player zombie) in the head, seeing the blood indicating impact, with your power attack 10 times before it will die. This is a problem because typically you need to move quickly while clearing zombies, and when you melee one you need to keep running so the ones that are chasing you don't catch up. But when the zombie in front of you doesn't go down in 1-2 hits, not only is he hitting you, but the zombies behind are going to trap you, and you're basically dead. So this time you didn't lose because of the early RNG, you lost because randomly super zombie, which is no less annoying.

Finally, equally a large problem, is that the actual easiest way to win at Hunt is simply to find a hiding spot and stay there the entire round (this is more of a problem on 2 of the 4 maps, but can be done to reasonable success on any of them). Other people who are going for weapons will end up running into other people and getting in gunfights, drawing zombies. Then people will die and those player zombies will hunt the people who are running around (because a: they have a better idea where they are due to gunfire sounds and b: given how long it takes to destroy a closed door as a zombie, it's an extremely unproductive and boring use of time to check hiding spots for players). Thus, you're rewarded for playing as boringly as possible. An easy fix to this problem would be to use a Battle Royale-type system for moving people out of sections of the map routinely. This could fit into the game by being a Walking Dead-esque zombie herd that swarms slowly through the map, bit-by-bit, checking every spot.

In the end, the game has a lot of potential, and sometimes ends up being very fun, but currently due to a lot of bugs and a few mechanics which don't feel rewarding at all, it usually ends up being as much frustration as fun.
  14. Apr 16, 2014
    I shot a zombie in the head and its head exploded... The gibbing alone on this game is very cool! Legs can be shot off, arms... Even works with melee weapons! :D
  15. Apr 16, 2014
    Although the game may appear to be "another zombie game" Do NOT be put off. This game does what most games today never did... And that is the atmosphere.. It actually feels like you are in a Zombie Apocalypse and the world around you has suffered a great disaster. The map design is seriously brilliant. I would though however highly recommend to play this game with friends. It's not thatAlthough the game may appear to be "another zombie game" Do NOT be put off. This game does what most games today never did... And that is the atmosphere.. It actually feels like you are in a Zombie Apocalypse and the world around you has suffered a great disaster. The map design is seriously brilliant. I would though however highly recommend to play this game with friends. It's not that fun on your own as you can't use the full potential of teamwork! Expand
  16. Dec 2, 2014
    I do not recommend this game. The graphics are rather bad, the controls are sluggish and your character moves as if he weighs a ton. About the game design, it is very restrictive and has zero sense of open world, exploration or anything else close it: Kill next wave of zombies or stay here forever, no thank you. This and other things about the game, getting stuck at doors and walls,I do not recommend this game. The graphics are rather bad, the controls are sluggish and your character moves as if he weighs a ton. About the game design, it is very restrictive and has zero sense of open world, exploration or anything else close it: Kill next wave of zombies or stay here forever, no thank you. This and other things about the game, getting stuck at doors and walls, clearly portray how this game was built by amateurs with no real vision or skill to deliver what they set out to create. On top of that, you will get your comments and your review banned if you dare to criticize the game on Steam since they carry mod powers over there, thus my 0 rating, otherwise it would have been a solid 2. Expand
  17. Apr 15, 2014
    If you like realistic zombie games then this is a MUST! It's like L4D but so much more realistic! The atmosphere is also amazing, you get that real tense and scary feeling when playing!
  18. Apr 16, 2014
    Think L4D + Zombie-Panic = Contagion... If you are a fast paced gamer who loves being rambo then this game is not for you...Every move you make is a choice that can be a matter of life or death....
  19. Apr 18, 2014
    Contagion is just one of those games, you spend all year looking forward to it's release to only be disappointed by a lack of content and reward. Contagion isn't a bad game by any means, it actually surpassed my expectations in a few areas, The game is pretty, the guns feel weighty and responsive and the quality of the assets and map design is AAA quality. My problem comes with theContagion is just one of those games, you spend all year looking forward to it's release to only be disappointed by a lack of content and reward. Contagion isn't a bad game by any means, it actually surpassed my expectations in a few areas, The game is pretty, the guns feel weighty and responsive and the quality of the assets and map design is AAA quality. My problem comes with the gameplay itself, The idea behind Contagion is simple, it's a zombie survival that takes place in large open-ended maps. With a choice of 3 gamemodes, 2 of them being co-op and 1 PVP. On paper it sound promising.
    The game just fails to deliver the experience it promises. The Co-op, while fun the first time, gets boring extremely quickly, you can vary up the spawns and objectives, but it's still the same maps, with the same objectives. The maps are often large and frustrating to navigate, by all means, make large maps, but these maps and littered with blocked hallways, blocked doors and insta-death fire spawns. This becomes very tiresome after a while, the map seems big, but in reality it's very linear. The extraction gamemode I find a lot more fun, you essentially go to a random location and defend it until it's time to extract survivors, this is a lot of fun but also gets boring very fast. The PVP is probably the best part of Contagion, the competative aspect just makes the game so fun to play, yet I still feel unsatisfied after finishing a match, this game doesn't reward you for anything, there is only so much you can take before you just get bored. I will return to this game in the future when they add content, but for now, this game just isn't satisfying to play. I'd only recommend a purchase if you have friends to play with. Otherwise I recommend you avoid this game until it has more content.
  20. Apr 16, 2014
    If you like Hardcore zombie shooters like KillingFloor then this game is for you!!! Tatsur0 and the the other guys from the developer team worked hard to release this masterpiece game; they keep constant contact wit the community .
  21. May 15, 2014
    This game stinks so badly that you should not go within 10 feet of it. The graphics are terrible, the controls are clunky, the single player is impossible, there are no bots, the connection for MP sucks, basically this game is broken in every way possible. The only reason it gets 1 instead of 0 is the Steam trading cards, which I sold to help recoup some of the money I wasted on this loadThis game stinks so badly that you should not go within 10 feet of it. The graphics are terrible, the controls are clunky, the single player is impossible, there are no bots, the connection for MP sucks, basically this game is broken in every way possible. The only reason it gets 1 instead of 0 is the Steam trading cards, which I sold to help recoup some of the money I wasted on this load of rubbish. Expand
  22. Apr 17, 2014
    Had a huge blast with friends! But it's not all that fun unless you play with friends! :P Real nice game though to say they are indie it was def worth the money they ask for!
  23. Apr 16, 2014
    Pros: Very immersing, Huge step in graphic-fidelity wise, the sounds will blow you away from your chair and headphones, leaving you exposed for the zombie behind you to chomp into your neck effectively ending your life and turning you into one of them!, Variety of missions within the limited maps available, (Offering lots of re-playability) and a wonderful difficulty setting for serversPros: Very immersing, Huge step in graphic-fidelity wise, the sounds will blow you away from your chair and headphones, leaving you exposed for the zombie behind you to chomp into your neck effectively ending your life and turning you into one of them!, Variety of missions within the limited maps available, (Offering lots of re-playability) and a wonderful difficulty setting for servers recently added for full release.

Cons: Confirmed To Allow Only 8-Players on a server at a time, a far-cry to zombie panic days. (It's 2014 and only supports eight players?) No Barricading in the the game, Few as Two-Maps, Lacking Weapon Variety , Animations are shaky, Lacking The Spiritual feeling of Zombie Panic!

What I wish I could be said:

Zombie Panic fans rejoice! - the spiritual successor has arrived with a fresh experience and next-generation graphics, so come take a bite into this one as it is worth every penny. This is truly a worthy spiritual successor with some really good looking graphics, and sounds that will really make you feel like you're in the Zombie Apocalypse.

What I Am Really Saying: Development for the spiritual successor of zombie panic (Contagion) Is taking two steps forward, and then one lagging step, It offers something completely different, If you enjoyed zombie panic source and expect to find something similar you may be disappointed. The game does offer a fresh feeling towards the many zombie apocalypse games that roam our earth, the game overall is pushing in a positive bright direction one step at a time. It does not innovate, but who needs innovation when you have updated graphics and beautiful zombie moans? The two steps forward are sound and graphics,animations would be the lagging leg. Lack of maps is what holds this game back from blooming and is the primary lagging leg

Is it worth the $20 price tag? It is for you to decide. It has potential to bloom and the developers are going to develop past its full release, so all in all since buying it the progress has been steady development speaking. I personally got the game for around $5 and under and the price currently is quadrupled. Since buying it almost half a year ago I can honestly say progress has been made on the game. However it has hit a point where some people ask if the game is still being developed on, and every-time someone does ask the development team end up releasing new content to satisfy everyone's desires. Overall they do a fair job at developing Contagion and it is worthy of a 8/10 from me.

::::My additional thoughts, with zero ass-kissing (As an Early-Access Player with 23-Hours logged):::::

The game suffered lack of players on servers during its early access days, and even after full release it still shows many empty servers. I don't want to kiss ass and say the game is great so buy it, as it does offer something new and feels truly fresh. However this is just one of those games that is really great if you have friends to play it with. I do not have anyone who owns contagion, but have made a couple of friends who do play it in game. Funny thing is none of them play it that much and most have as much hours logged as I do, and I personally only have 23-hours logged out of nearly half a year of owning the game.

Again I would play it more if it had more maps, and more content but it is lacking on the regard as the developers expect you to enjoy the extreme re-playability and play the same maps with different missions each new game. Similar to zombie panic where you play the maps over and over, except in that game you're just having a good time playing against more than eight players, and doesn't need different modes to offer a good fun time, but that game is 'spirituality different' and has many different things offered compared to Contagion. I would have rather had 'Zombie Panic 2' Made with more players, and updated graphics and sounds/animations. I'll still wait for ZP2 on Kickstarter! - This will have to do for now.
  24. Apr 21, 2014
    If you are a fan of zombie games this indie game may be your ticket to some low budget zombie blasting enjoyment. First off do not expect a blockbuster game; this is a pretty basic shooting game with at best average graphics. Where this game excels is concept and cost, for 20 bucks (I paid less) you get a great “realistic” zombie experience. You can only sprint so far or swing a meleeIf you are a fan of zombie games this indie game may be your ticket to some low budget zombie blasting enjoyment. First off do not expect a blockbuster game; this is a pretty basic shooting game with at best average graphics. Where this game excels is concept and cost, for 20 bucks (I paid less) you get a great “realistic” zombie experience. You can only sprint so far or swing a melee weapon so much before you tire, ammo is at a premium as headshots are the only thing worth going for and the maps a chock full of zombies. This makes teamwork all the more essential with players ideally sharing weapons, ammo, and mission items. When you die you become a zombie and hunt your former team, this makes it all the more important to keep each other alive as a zombie with a players intellect is much more dangerous then the AI. I docked one star because the game can still be a bit buggy and so can the zombies, this is sometimes very noticeable when firing aimed shots with zombies surviving what should be clear kill shots. I have always loved zombie games and movies and am therefore probably a bit more forgiving of the game then others may be, but if you are a fan of zombie games I would strongly recommend it for the price.

Here are a few tips to make the game easier on you if you do decide to buy 1) first thing you should do is watch a youtube video or two and get the flow of the maps down. It can be difficult to use your in game cell phone to figure out map progression when you first start. 2) KEYBIND! go into the settings and set your keys how you like. I noticed several key controls where unmapped when I started playing. Set your graphics to something your computer can handle as well, I found all my graphics setting jacked up and my frame rate suffered for it 3) Stay with your team, don’t move to fast or to far from your allies, and get a mic or at least be good about communicating with general chat!
  25. Apr 21, 2014
    great zombie game.. a game combined between fps and survival. i hope in more maps.

great variety of weapons, good maps.. If you like zombies, for the prices, it's a game that you have got.

it's a complementary game of left 4 dead.

it's just game that you can play as zombie.
  26. Jun 7, 2014
    This is the review I made on Steam

Pros: -Workshop support for custom maps and gamemodes -Great variety of weapons: 2 pistols, 357 revolver, semi auto rifle, hunting rifle, 2 shotguns, 2 assault rifles, 2 SMGs, crossbow, and a few melee weapons -High quality sounds, plays a very large part of the Hunted game mode -Great graphics and optimization for a Source Engine game
    This is the review I made on Steam

Pros:

-Workshop support for custom maps and gamemodes

-High quality sounds, plays a very large part of the Hunted game mode

-Great graphics and optimization for a Source Engine game

-Same Zombie Panic: Source characters, with some added backstory

-4 Gamemodes: Escape (complete objectives with team), Hunted (hunt down other players while avoiding zombies), Extraction (rescue NPC survivors from hordes of zombies), *NEW* Panic (classic ZPS gameplay, players must hold out against the player zombies, no NPC zombies), Panic Objective (a mix between Panic and Escape)

-Difficulty (easy, medium, hard, expert) and player zombie toggle

-Good stealth system

-Maps: Aurora Estates (medium size, town with enterable houses, playable on Extraction, Panic, and Hunted), Cypress Park (medium size, park map with CDC tents placed all over), Roanoke PD (large size, police station map, playable on Escape and Panic Objective), Pioneer Express (medium size, some sort of underground subway area, playable on Hunted and Panic), Barlowe Square (very large size, city with enterable buildings, subway, movie theater, restaurants, gas station, playable on all gamemodes)

-Classic ZPS voice acting

-Player zombie mechanics (bite from behind for increased chance of infection, press R to roar and call AI zombies to your aid, press E to blend in with the regular zombies)

-COMING SOON: Biotec, remake of one of the best ZPS maps

Cons:

-Buggy animations

-Melee combat is bad

-Lack of content
  27. Apr 15, 2014
    This game is very intense. Your first time playing will feel dramatic, and you will be afraid to even move for fear, that the horde might hear you, The game is very well optimized, and runs VERY well even on older computers, This doesn't take away from the graphics...They look as golden as any AAA title, and even better. The atmosphere is very still, and very tense. Every move you makeThis game is very intense. Your first time playing will feel dramatic, and you will be afraid to even move for fear, that the horde might hear you, The game is very well optimized, and runs VERY well even on older computers, This doesn't take away from the graphics...They look as golden as any AAA title, and even better. The atmosphere is very still, and very tense. Every move you make can, and will be used against you. so be sure to cover your tracks. If you unfortunately either get bitten (gave me a heart attack the first time that happened) or just killed, you will join the ranks of the undead. and hunt your "used to be" team. So always watch your back.
    This game is very enjoyable and always satisfies me every time I play this
  28. Jun 7, 2014
    After quite some time from friends pushing me to play this game, I finally gave in. [This was about 1 montth after their final release] I went to load Contagion... The main-menu hit me... I was intrigued by the design process of the back-ground menu they have used which really gave that creep feeling even before playing the game... Jumping straight to the game-play. At first... I didn'tAfter quite some time from friends pushing me to play this game, I finally gave in. [This was about 1 montth after their final release] I went to load Contagion... The main-menu hit me... I was intrigued by the design process of the back-ground menu they have used which really gave that creep feeling even before playing the game... Jumping straight to the game-play. At first... I didn't really know what I was doing. There was no pre-lobby set-up or anything like that. I was kind of just spawned randomly at I think what appeared to be a set location. With a little confusion, this soon turned into tension and horror. With gunshots being fired in the distance, sounds of doors being bashed down, zombies moaning and stumbling I quickly knew I was in danger. And this is what I LOVE about Contagion... It doesn't hold your hand... It doesn't literally TELL YOU what to do... YOU almost have to decide what you would do if a situation like a zombie apocalypse happened. For me, I feel everything in Contagions game-play is all done by instinct. I have never played any other game from indie to the AAA's that have been able to capture this feeling. And not to mention... This is an INDIE GAME. I honesty wouldn't of know it was indie if it wasn't for more friends nagging me about it. My advice is, if you are a zombie fan, and you like tough teamwork orientated game play this game is for YOU. Just give it a chance... Don't just jump in and get disappointed. You have to at least get the feel for the game and then the magic happens.... Expand
  29. Jun 7, 2014
    Nothing can beat a good zombie shooter! and you know it :P
    Known about this game for a long time, well worth a play as people have put alot of work into making something brilliant! 10/10 keep up the good work!!!!!!
  30. Jun 7, 2014
    while the zombie genre has become a bit flooded recently, this is a ray of light at the end of a long dark tunnel, a slight shortage of maps at present, but, with workshop out and good timing of large patches, this is going to be an epic game, if it is not already epic, the panic mode is where it shines, the laughs, scares and screams combine to make this one of the best online zombiewhile the zombie genre has become a bit flooded recently, this is a ray of light at the end of a long dark tunnel, a slight shortage of maps at present, but, with workshop out and good timing of large patches, this is going to be an epic game, if it is not already epic, the panic mode is where it shines, the laughs, scares and screams combine to make this one of the best online zombie games i have ever played!.

if you are looking for something fresh, get this.
  31. Jun 7, 2014
    I waited for this project from the very first announcement in 2010. Watching the development process on Indiedb, and later when the game was released in early access I was just surprised at what has been done, although even then it was not a finished product. Looking at much progress the developers have made becomes clear that there are people who do what they promise, and with the veryI waited for this project from the very first announcement in 2010. Watching the development process on Indiedb, and later when the game was released in early access I was just surprised at what has been done, although even then it was not a finished product. Looking at much progress the developers have made becomes clear that there are people who do what they promise, and with the very high quality. Expand
  32. Jun 7, 2014
    There are only 4 games I've ever played for which I've invested time and money into running public servers. This is one of them. I've never had a better co-op experience in a game. Get this game if you like co-op and are not afraid of a challenge.
  33. Jun 9, 2014
    i absolutly love this game it's what l4d should have been if your lookign for a more realistic l4d then buyyyyy this game .unforunately you'll be missing out on all the good l4d characters, but there are some really great ones in this game aswell and the gameplay is terrific!!
  34. Jun 6, 2014
    I've been playing Contagion for long time and what I can say is:

The game itself is perfect. The melee weapons are great, you need to just learn how to use them. Ammoweapon spawn randomized, so you'll never know whats the weaponammo type going to be in specific rooms. Zombie players adds you a serious challenge and thats just perfect. Work together in order to get out alive. The
    I've been playing Contagion for long time and what I can say is:

The game itself is perfect.
    The melee weapons are great, you need to just learn how to use them.
    Zombie players adds you a serious challenge and thats just perfect.
    Work together in order to get out alive. The community is pretty much friendly(when I played for first time, the whole team was helping me to understand how mechanism works.), the developers listen and answers to you on forums(when they are free of course)and if you got idea, you can share this idea and developers sometimes adds this idea in game!
    Workshop future! People can share their content with others and thats just awesome.
    CPOCPC modes? Just like in Zombie Panic! : Source, but much much better.
    Extraction and Escape modes? They are requires you to work together.
    Hunted? A great PVP mode.
    Sound and music? They are awesome. Love their music and sounds.

And free DLC's? Hell yeah.
    It is worth of your money and really enjoyable.
    -Alexandr
  35. Jun 6, 2014
    The game is a breeze of fresh air. It's dark and funny, captivating and rewarding at the same time. The graphics, however simplistic, are nonetheless stunning and pleasant to the eye - esp. considering the fact this is a shady, grey world. The sounds is something deserving a special mention - immaculate. The game needs a few more mods and maps, perhaps, but I'm more than happy with the wayThe game is a breeze of fresh air. It's dark and funny, captivating and rewarding at the same time. The graphics, however simplistic, are nonetheless stunning and pleasant to the eye - esp. considering the fact this is a shady, grey world. The sounds is something deserving a special mention - immaculate. The game needs a few more mods and maps, perhaps, but I'm more than happy with the way it currently is. A job well done. Expand
  36. Jun 6, 2014
    Contagion is a fun game, it's like a big add-on to Zombie Panic Source in a way... But I mean that in a positive way. There's multiple game modes like Hunted (Deathmatch) Survival where you obviously complete a bunch of objectives to succeed the level, and extraction. Which is where you and a team of players try to rescue NPCs.

My favourite game mode has to be hunted because its great

My favourite game mode has to be hunted because its great fun running around after people and waiting to ambush other players etc. Aside from that, I don't really enjoy the other game modes that much compared to the hunted, but despite that the game is still worth purchasing as more content is going to be added in the future, you don't have to pay for DLC -- unlike what most video game companies do nowadays.

I really like the atmosphere of the game as well. It has a gloomy, mysterious feel to it. The sound is awesome as well as you can hear gun fire in the distance and the game overall is well optimized and just done right. The graphics are pretty and are quite impressive for the source engine.

You can also shoot zombies limbs off as well which is very satisfying. There are a fair amount of guns like the 1911 Colt, MP5K, TEC-9, as well as melee weapons such as a wrench, machete, knife, and so on...

I also recommend to play this with friends as well as it makes it a dozen times more fun as well.

The game isn't that expensive either as well, so thats another reason to buy it.
  37. Apr 17, 2014
    Most solid zombie game I have ever played, the only way it could be any better is if it had more content/mod support (which will happen soon) and if it had large free roam maps.
  38. Jun 7, 2014
    Contagion is so far the zombie game with the best atmosphere i have seen and playing hunted with a few friends is probably the most fun i have had with an fps game
  39. May 29, 2014
    this game suck when i join a server my ping is very high when i am playing with friends they don't here me (on skype ) my game lags even on low graphics and NO i don't have a bad computer because i play watch dogs on very high and far cry 3 and gta 4,...
  40. Jun 7, 2014
    I falling in love with this game, playing with friends is more funny . the maps with the different routes made them replayable and now with the workshop the game gonna get maps from the community this gonna icrease the life time of the game , the only pointless imo is the zombies they can be better.
  41. Jul 4, 2014
    Hard to beat this type of game, especially for the price. It's a pick up and play zombie game done right. Very realistic feel, fun pvp as well as pve. This is the only game I bought in Beta that hasn't disappointed me with the finished product. I heavily recommend.
  42. Aug 31, 2014
    Great game and a lot of fun with friends, ignore the critics because those reviews where before all the awesome updates. Escape mode is my favorite as it is long, challenging and re playable as the map slightly changes every time you play.
  43. Jun 7, 2014
    This game has revolutionized zombies indi games everywhere. The game has reached a new level in the zombie universe. Now to compare it with today's zombie games. Like for example Black Ops Zombies. I am a huge fan of Call of duty zombies. But with Cod zombies its all the same. The game difficulty will never change. With contagion there is an endless number of combinations to the mapThis game has revolutionized zombies indi games everywhere. The game has reached a new level in the zombie universe. Now to compare it with today's zombie games. Like for example Black Ops Zombies. I am a huge fan of Call of duty zombies. But with Cod zombies its all the same. The game difficulty will never change. With contagion there is an endless number of combinations to the map change. With every new game you can find at least 1 difference in the map. Weather it be open paths, certain houses unlocked for extraction, or weapons and ammo locations, even when you start off the game you have a different weapons combination. Then there is the characters there is a lot of characters. Compared to other games. There is a chance the person next too you will look just like you. But not with contagion. When they first started off there was a max of (what i believe of 8 players) so there was 8 character choices. Now you can have up to 16 player slots so there will be no more than 1 other person that looks like you. But you wont notice at all. Next we have the familiar feel of the game. Since this is a SOURCE game it has some familiarity to it. Such as the controls and the key board lay out. But over all the MonocromeLLC team did a great job on the game. They continue to work late hours and even stay up for days to bring new content and updates constantly. But i believe that, as long as the Monocrome team continues to bring updates and DLC content. This game will live on! Expand
  44. Jun 22, 2014
    Definitely worth the money of the Steam sale, and if you have some friends to play with it is easily one of the best zombie games out there; the Workshop community is going to make it even greater.
  45. Aug 31, 2014
    I learned to watch theuser score first instead of the meta score which isn't up to date or just plain manipulated. Here we have a realistic zombie FPS game which uses the source engine but heavily modified. This game is aimed for the mature players and survival fans who like realism. The zombies in this game are the slow romero zombies which move in a slow pace. There are many game modesI learned to watch theuser score first instead of the meta score which isn't up to date or just plain manipulated. Here we have a realistic zombie FPS game which uses the source engine but heavily modified. This game is aimed for the mature players and survival fans who like realism. The zombies in this game are the slow romero zombies which move in a slow pace. There are many game modes out there to offer the needs of every player. For example if you want to play coop then choose the escape mode where it is objective based and your goal is to...ESCAPE :D If you like pvp more, then choose hunted, where players kills each other in a map filled with zombies. The unique mechanic about this game is, if you die you will return as a zombie! The only one downside is the lack of content but I have to remind you that this is not an AAA game! It is a indie game but a very dedicated one. New maps and content are already planned and all the dlc will be free. This games offers workshop which is a plus too since custom content will keep the players entertained. If you are a survival fan and like to do some brainshot instead of headshot :P buy it now! Expand
  46. Dec 8, 2014
    What's great?
    - Atmosphere is fantastic.
    - Realistic Z-Day environments - Headshot's are really the only way to down them. - Creates a real sense of urgency and desperation - Graphics are nice; neither bad nor good, but still of high quality. - Melee is not a wonder weapon. Takes skill and precision. - Gun's behave like realistic weapons. - Large and respectful mapping / modding
    What's great?
    - Atmosphere is fantastic.
    - Realistic Z-Day environments
    - Headshot's are really the only way to down them.
    - Creates a real sense of urgency and desperation
    - Graphics are nice; neither bad nor good, but still of high quality.
    - Melee is not a wonder weapon. Takes skill and precision.
    - Gun's behave like realistic weapons.
    - Large and respectful mapping / modding community.

What's bad?
    - Weird headshot detection; could be due to glancing shots, or the bullet not actually hitting the head but appears to.
    - Maps can be confusing (which may be the intention)
    - Controls / aiming CAN be an issue. The controls are easy, just like an FPS but the guns and angles they fire on can sometimes put you off; I put this down to realistic fields of view, and guns...well...not always shooting straight like most shooters have you believe.
    - Melee is not easy to use.

When should I play it?
    LAN's
    Coop environments
    Groups of friends
    Not ideal for solo play.

Summary:
    One of THE best COOP games out there. We play this at LAN's and EVERYONE enjoys it. We often sit back and watch our recorded matches, from different perspectives and all of us lose it laughing. The atmosphere is really the bread winner for this game, and there is no other game out there at the moment that comes close.

Support the dev's, and the community. If you have a lot of pals, convince them to grab this and you will have memories of this game to share. A great experience.
  47. Aug 31, 2014
    This is a real zombie shooter/ survival and not like zombie source or l4d2.

And as always the official metacritic reviews sucks ass saying what they want, they suck.
  48. Jan 26, 2015
    A perfect example of a game that has wasted potential. At the beginning, this game had a ton of potential. But little updates and a lack of new maps plagued this game. However, the good things of this game are the terrific graphics, realistic mechanics, cool effects, and a creepy atmosphere. 8/10 (Great)
  49. Jan 19, 2015
    This game is everything resident evil should've been. Unlike the quick-time event movie that was once a survival horror, Contagion offers a very intimidating environment where zombies will actually hurt you if they touch you.

+Weapons and ammo are very limited +Game modes are unique +Players can turn into zombies and turn against their teammates +The game works (Sadly, that's a big

+Weapons and ammo are very limited
    +Game modes are unique
    +Players can turn into zombies and turn against their teammates
    +The game works (Sadly, that's a big deal these days)

-Maps are designed for a more call-of-dutyesque experience.. meaning close quarters and not a lot of space to move in
    -Source engine aiming is a bit wonky for pvp, but it's great for a pve experience

Overall it blows my mind that this gets a low score while people are standing in line waiting to suck off the devs of dayz or h1z1 and the incredible amount of funding they are getting is really showing no real progress in their games. Meanwhile, this diamond is still around working flawlessly and serving far more than the walking simulators we're still getting.
  50. Jul 22, 2015
    I liked it when it came out, due to the feeling the game gives you, such as great graphics and maps, but nobody really plays the game much any more, and the admins have really left it alone, which is sad due to the promise it had.
  51. Dec 27, 2014
    An unoptimized, clunky Left 4 Dead that can't decide what it wants to be, with character dialogue that would feel shamefully bad in even a B grade horror movie. Its only plus point being that the zombies are much more like the slow stumbling type most of us associate with the genre, and that require a head shot to be taken down quickly.

Also, despite your characters looking like fairly

Also, despite your characters looking like fairly able bodied people, they cannot run from one room to the next without panting, grunting, swearing as though they are a 300kg behemoth that has never seen a days exercise in their life. Nor can they climb simple fences that somehow the stumbling zombies can climb over with relative ease.

Game aims for realism, but makes an absolute mess of it, while delivering its terrible one liners. Peek-a-boo!
  52. Jul 5, 2020
    Помню был очень рад анонсу этой игры, это вроде (улучшенная) Zombie Panic! Source. Ждали ее с другом, но на выходе получили просто шок, а не игру, ну в принципе,то, что сейчас в основном выпускают все разработчики, так вот, после приобретения, с ее то лагами итд, нормально понятное дело поиграть не вышло и не удавалось еще длительное время, пока не обновил компьютер. Когда все таки этоПомню был очень рад анонсу этой игры, это вроде (улучшенная) Zombie Panic! Source. Ждали ее с другом, но на выходе получили просто шок, а не игру, ну в принципе,то, что сейчас в основном выпускают все разработчики, так вот, после приобретения, с ее то лагами итд, нормально понятное дело поиграть не вышло и не удавалось еще длительное время, пока не обновил компьютер. Когда все таки это произошло, там вышло много патчей и обновлений, я не могу сказать что это хоть как то исправило проблемы игры.
    - Игры :
    1.Серверы, типа, в той же ZPS на серверах играет до сих пор по 20+ человек, здесь максимум вроде 12, кайф. А с начала игры, воде 8 было доступно, очень скучно в таких реалиях играть.
    2. Физика игры, я понимаю что ZPS была своего рода развлекательной игрой по сравнению с этой, но блин, как же дубово все чувствуется от управления персонажем, до выстрелов, а про зомби я вообще молчу, даже если его человек контролирует это просто шок.
    3. 0 камуникации с сообществом, игра если хоть где-то и жива, то это точно не на территории СНГ, типа, в игру даже не играют, она просто есть, ее создали, что то добавили, забрали бабки и ♥♥♥♥♥♥ забили, типа, в то время пока люди с других стран хоть как то играли, для СНГ игрока это сплошной кошмар, если он захочет поиграть с людьми, это только дальний уголок света с пингом 200+, очень интересно, а главное честно.
    4.Дух той самой ZPS, его просто тут нет, из-за реалистичности или из-за дубовости, я так и не определился.
    Вообщем, игру я брал в самом начале, то есть, в ее БЕТА выходе, но даже сейчас по скидке, я бы врядли ее рекомендовал, разработчики все сами ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥и, а мы как игроки лишились еще одной классной игры.
    Игра должна была стать духовным наследником Zombie Panic Source, но этого не произошло потому что игра вышла супер сырой и самым большим ее минусом стали сервера, которые в ZPS были на 24+ человека, но здесь их решили сделать от 8 до 12, так тупо. Да круто что добавили зомби ботов, но изначально их должно быть мало или один супер сильный, который превращает одного человека в зомби, что бы было так же играбельно как в ZPS, но нет, мы получаем кучу зомби ботов с людьми, которые легко умирают, да это типа псевдо - реалистично, но до сих пор, в игре нет нормальных серверов и комьюнити которое бы их держало и настраивало, за зомби играть очень тяжело. Но вроде появилась надежда, разработчики не забили оказывается. Будем ждать и смотреть к чему это их и нас как игроков приведет.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 4 Critic Reviews

1. Jun 5, 2014
    A mediocre commercial remake of 2007’s Zombie Panic: Source. Even 6 months in Steam Early Access did not make it better.
  2. May 20, 2014
    Contagion is a game that with continued patch support and new maps, has a true potential to be a contender against more popular zombie games out there. However, with the current state of the game I would have to tell the curious buyer to enter into it at their own risk.
  3. May 17, 2014
    It doesn't offer a lot of content, but it's a nice alternative to Left 4 Dead. Contagion won't start a new zombie hype, though.