8.7

1. May 19, 2019
    DMC 4 was a fun game for a few days, it looks absolutely stylish, has a great soundtrack but i found the level design to be lacking. Especially late game i ran through the same corridors and found it quite boring.

The game ran without problems and is one of the best looking ones of this generation. While i know that the game is meant to be replayed i could not push myself to do it.
  2. Mar 11, 2019
    Maybe it's not my type of game but i get bored quickly if i do always the same: go forward + closed room + fight, go forward + closed room + fight, go forward + closed room + fight, etc.
  3. Apr 2, 2019
    Jogo muito bonito. E só. Inimigos fáceis ao extremo (exceto alguns chefes), curto e repetitivo. Menos mal que deram a opção em algumas fases de você não jogar com o V. Se salva pelo começo e fim.
  4. Apr 6, 2019
    Pretty disappointed with the game. Seeing how high it is rated by both the press and players I might have expected a bit too much but there are some issues that just can't be overlooked.

First, the story is very simple and straight forward, i wouldn't say it was bad but definitely not memorable. On top of that the levels are very linear and there's not much diversity in the environment.

But my main problem with the game is that the 2 difficulty levels you get to choose on your first playthrough are too easy. This is my first DmC game and I literally steamrolled through the entire game without seeing the death screen once. You unlock higher difficulty levels by finishing the game or by beating Urizen at the begining but most people don't know that on their first playthrough, I didn't.

That's a shame because I enjoyed the gameplay and would have had a much better time playing this game if it was actually challenging.
    Aside from a good gameplay, the game has very likeable characters and some good pieces of humor.

I think the reason behind DmC 5's success is that it offers deep gameplay mechanics while staying very casual friendly.
  5. Mar 9, 2019
    This is a competent game. It has likeable characters and a relatively interesting story. The gameplay is okay as well, but it has some quite glaring problems and to be honest, I expected way more based on the reviews.

Some journalists have stated that DMCV has the best combat system in the entire hack & slash genre. I completely disagree with that. In a proper hack and slash game...

...the player should be able to fight effectively against multiple enemies at once. Yet in DMCV, most fights are 1v1 between the player and one enemy NPC, even if there are surrounding enemies in the given area. It feels like a glorified souls-like rather than an actual hack & slash title.

... the player sould have at least as many ranged attacks as close-combat moves, because that way he can fight effectively against multiple enemies that are in the area at different distances from each other and from the player. Yet in DMCV, basically all moves are close-combat moves (even though you can use a pistol, for example), and even the close-combat moves have way smaller range that I've seen in other games (Darksiders, DmC, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Bayonetta, God of War, etc.).

... is supposed to be tough, but fair and should have a combat system that is easy to learn, but difficult to master. The enemies should be fearful and strong but they should also have their weaknesses. For example, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is a very tough game, especially on Paladin difficulty, but because the combat system is so excellent, if you master it, you can complete the whole game without ever getting hit - and you can also exploit the weaknesses of the countless different and unique enemies of the game. However, DMCV is stupidly easy even on the hardest difficulty because the A.I. barely do anything at it makes enemy encounters quite boring after a couple of hours.

---

The other problem is that because the combat system is very much centered around one on one fights for multiple reasons, there's practically no reason to ever not use the Lock-On system. Yet, the only way to use the Lock-On feature (lock-on enemy target) is to use the Right Bumper button (if you are using an Xbox controller). This makes my hand hurt after a while, it just feels weird to constantly hold that button down, especially the same time that I'm continously doing combos using the X and Y buttons. In other hack & slash games, it's basically a standard in terms of controls is to toggle Lock-On using the Right Stick (click), then switching between targets by tilting that stick to left or right. I don't understand why DMCV didn't use this. It feels just as weird as shooters did on PS3, because you had to use the upper shoulder buttons to aim and fire instead of the triggers.

TL;DR: The combat system feels very limited because as a player, you don't really have the chance nor the tools to fight against multiple enemies at the same time, the game rather chooses to focus on 1v1 fights instead and because of that, the overall combat feels way less satisfying and chaotic. Also, the game is stupidly easy because the A.I. most of the time stands still even on the hardest difficulty so it removes all the challenge and it makes the game boring after a while.
  6. Mar 10, 2019
    This game is extremely overrated. The levels are extremely linear and there is no exploration whatsoever. There is no puzzle solving or anything like that, only progress through these linear levels with a combat encounter every few meters.

The level design is the biggest dissappointment. All levels look almost the same. Either youre in the city or inside the demon tree. There isn't much of a story either.

Bayonetta 2 is better than this in every way.
  7. Mar 10, 2019
    Welp, I was not expecting much from the game, but i still was disappointed with it. The storyline is straight up garbage, V is boring to play as, since he is OPAF, Nero is taken straight from DMC 4, almost all the same moves,combos ETC, with new Devil Breaker mechanic(which is simply boring and unfun to use, and there is even a hand,that acts exactly like his demon hand from DMC4). DanteWelp, I was not expecting much from the game, but i still was disappointed with it. The storyline is straight up garbage, V is boring to play as, since he is OPAF, Nero is taken straight from DMC 4, almost all the same moves,combos ETC, with new Devil Breaker mechanic(which is simply boring and unfun to use, and there is even a hand,that acts exactly like his demon hand from DMC4). Dante has some new toys, but again, he is 60% recycle. Actually, it's the perfect defenition of this game. Recycle. Buuut, dmc4 was 11 years ago, so if you enjoyed that game and want to have some more demon slashing fun,and you are not a hardcore fan of DMC, this game is gonna be a tonn of fun to play. It's mediocre at best for the fans, but for new pplayers it's awesome. Expand
  8. Mar 12, 2019
    I feel like there is a good game in here somewhere but the game does a very bad job at introducing itself to new players. With three characters that all control very differently mixed between chapters it feels like so many mechanics are thrown at you too quickly and it becomes overwhelming resulting in a whole lot of button mashing.

Graphics are excellent, probably the best Capcom has

Graphics are excellent, probably the best Capcom has ever produced, the game runs smoothly and in general is well put together. I had no problem maintaining a locked 60fps on ultra settings.

In terms of pacing there is good and bad. It is a relief for me not to have to collect a load of pointless collectables like in so many games these days, DMC5 at least gets to the point of the game in that respect however is it really necessary to have so many cutscenes. It seems like every new area or enemy encounter has to have it's own cinematic introduction. At least there is no quick time events though.

New moves are unlocked with red orbs which can be farmed in-game or bought with real money which is a disgrace as the game does not really start until you have unlocked all moves so this does affect the games balancing. Capcom is very greedy and also want you to spend more money on soundtrack items which cannot be unlocked any other way but will show up in game menus (like in Street Fighter V).

In summary only buy this game when it's on sale if your willing to put the time in to mastering the controls and overcoming DMC 5's steep difficulty curve.
  9. Mar 13, 2019
    This is a very fun game to play if it was free, the design of the main characters is decent, and 3D modeling and acting are one of the best by 2019. Even cinematic cutscenes and soundtracks are good, It also contains tons of fighting technique and upgrades.
    But in the end, it is a huge step back from Ninja Theory's DmC. It lacks many important things like environment design, boss and enemy design (Capcom really needs to learn how to design demonic creature without a lot of big eyes and tubes emerge from shoulders and body), innovative story, gameplay (except running narrow environments which lead to square like areas to fight hordes of demons and bashing buttons). The worst problem about this game is that except for graphic and animations this game is not a 2019 AAA game as it should be. In this generation all great games tend to utilize an open world or at least a semi-open world area (which I don’t approve); but this game is so damn barred that you can’t go two steps in the wrong way. Altogether it feels like a big pile of junk food which all are delicious but you can’t get anything good at the end.
  10. Mar 13, 2019
    It's a decent game, maybe even a great game, just not for me, maybe it's because I have only played a combined 4-5 of the first 4 games, or maybe because the game it just to button mashy, but for some reason I just couldn't get into the game, I didn't understand the story, you don't play as Dante, (for at least the first 4-5 hours of gameplay,) Maybe I'll give the game another shot downIt's a decent game, maybe even a great game, just not for me, maybe it's because I have only played a combined 4-5 of the first 4 games, or maybe because the game it just to button mashy, but for some reason I just couldn't get into the game, I didn't understand the story, you don't play as Dante, (for at least the first 4-5 hours of gameplay,) Maybe I'll give the game another shot down the road, but for now I found the game enjoyable for a short time, the game looks pretty, the controls are tight, and the girl is SAF, so for that I give the game a 7/10, an enjoyable experience for players of the originals, but new comers, STAY AWAY! Expand
  11. Mar 8, 2019
    DMC V по всем параметрам, кроме графики, хуже чем DmC 2013 года. Сюжет снова скучный и "детский", режиссура мегапафосная, но уже безвкусная от чего тошнит. Даже музыка скучнее чем в перезапуске! А самое главное боёвка провальная - медленная, не зрелищная и нет нормального уварота; три кнопки на геймпаде для отскока вы серьёзно? Если хотите посмотреть на образцовую боёвку для слешераDMC V по всем параметрам, кроме графики, хуже чем DmC 2013 года. Сюжет снова скучный и "детский", режиссура мегапафосная, но уже безвкусная от чего тошнит. Даже музыка скучнее чем в перезапуске! А самое главное боёвка провальная - медленная, не зрелищная и нет нормального уварота; три кнопки на геймпаде для отскока вы серьёзно? Если хотите посмотреть на образцовую боёвку для слешера гляньте на Bayonetta или тот же DmC 2013. Вердикт для Devil May Cry 5 - проходняк. Expand
  12. Mar 12, 2019
    I have really no idea why did so many players like this game. This game is mostly suitable for kids to teenagers levels because the story is simple. If you are a serious adult player, you will feel disappointed about this game, the game is too short, some people like me do not like the street fighter types hack and slash combat games. Most player only enjoy the game's graphics and blindlyI have really no idea why did so many players like this game. This game is mostly suitable for kids to teenagers levels because the story is simple. If you are a serious adult player, you will feel disappointed about this game, the game is too short, some people like me do not like the street fighter types hack and slash combat games. Most player only enjoy the game's graphics and blindly rate this game as 10/10. I personally was completed the main story of this game because it was too short. If you want a super good rich story telling games, please go for other games such like Persona 5. If you really like a great combat game, please go for God of War. I don't think this game is a masterpiece. A masterpiece games will let player feel the story is unexpectedly interesting and feel tension during combat but not just simply make a game just hit, fly and jump. Then make a story to tell someone this guy is your father then end of story, it is too short, you know? Probably the PC players never experience what is a real masterpiece game. That's why a PS4 console is a must for every PC gamers. Please wait until April 2019 and play this game -- Days Gone. Expand
  13. Mar 17, 2019
    It's a good game but not amazing.

The plot is something an 8 year old would come up. There isn't much story at all, but no big deal, this is an action game. Enemy AI is pretty bad. I started on human (easy) difficulty and enemies were basically just dancing around me so I increased to devil hunter (normal) and the enemies did the same dance, with more HP. After finishing the game, I
    It's a good game but not amazing.

Enemy AI is pretty bad. I started on human (easy) difficulty and enemies were basically just dancing around me so I increased to devil hunter (normal) and the enemies did the same dance, with more HP. After finishing the game, I started son of Sparda (hard) and it was only slightly more difficult. Some dancing enemies are replaced with enemies that actually attack you, everybody has more HP and they do more damage, but it wasn't very challenging.

The game seems rushed, it has 20 missions, you get 1 weapon for Dante on mission 18 and 19 which seems waaay too late, since mission 20 is just a boss fight. On mission 18 you fight a monster you've already fought in DMC 3 or 4, and you get the same weapon.

Gameplay for Dante is very fun, Nero is so so due to his lack of primary weapons (1 gun + 1 sword + many special abilities) and V is just very uninspiring button mashing until the enemy dies.

Overall, a bit too short, very repetitive, bosses without much personality and fun to play, but not incredible. Currently it's rated 9.0 which seems too high.
  14. Apr 6, 2019
    Didn't played DmC 1~3. Played DmC4 and the reboot DmC DmC.

I must say i really liked this game. Characters are modelized at a really high level (God of War level of details). Game mechanics are nice, the feels for every characters (V, Nero and Dante) are differents. A lot of different equipements, making Dante always so over the top with his attitude. Loving the fact that game embrace
    Didn't played DmC 1~3. Played DmC4 and the reboot DmC DmC.

Loving the fact that game embrace what he is.
    Definitely a sequel to DmC 4 that improves what existed and pushed up what was flaws.

Still...

What i didn't like was the lack of diversity in the environnement (mostly destructed version of a city, an underground evil lair, and a top of the world flat tree).
    The theme music for every Characters are... Not for me to say the least, i listened to covers that do so much more justice to it.
    A bit disappointed in a few twists of the story, but it's still better than what you'll expect from a regular Beat 'em Up.
  15. May 7, 2019
    I wanted to like DMC5 more, but I couldn't.

I wanted to like DMC5 more, but I couldn't.

For starters, I was hooked from the first trailer and in one sense I'm not disappointed at all. This game is absolutely STUNNING. It's undoubtely one of the prettiest games I've ever played. And it knows it. Because it's presentation is so over-the-top insane it couldn't be forgiven if it was another title. I'm talking about high-fidelity japanese panache. That goes from photorealistic cinematics and intricately detailed character models to hardcore eye-candy babes and mind-blowing antics. All coupled with some immersive soundtracks and voice acting. On top of all that, the game is not only gorgeous but runs like butter. Mad props to optimization.

Where else it is most praised, however, I have to disagree. Gameplay. It's not that good. Best hack 'n slash ever? Hardly. First off, the controls are a mess. There's no way you're playing them on default without a rebind. And good luck on using mouse and keyboard. Also, if you're sporting a Dualshock, there's a detour you should take by installing a mod with the proper layout. Because you're gonna do A LOT of button-mashin'. Even though there is a rich variety to skills that implies some training and mastering, the game never gives you the opportunity to do so, for two main reasons: 1. It's always counting, meaning the combo meter will reset quickly if you idle or take your time to strategize or to even remember all the skill moves and abilities that you have (because you're constantly thrown between characters and playstyles); 2. It prioritizes 1v1 combat and there are few area-of-effect attacks even though you're always crowded by foes, so much so the camera will betray you and you won't even see what freaking combo or move you're actually performing, so you better off smashing every joint of your pad and hope by the end you'll be rated zZz for letting the game play itself.

To make matters worse, the level design is straight-up LAZY. They must have been very proud of the groundbreaking visuals because this other department was half-baked AF. There's the ruined city, there's the ruined cemeteries and there's the demon tree, which gets even worse by late game - and they're all deserted. The encounters follow the same thread: advance from this arena to this corridor to get to the next arena and so on, and maybe with some godawful and unresponsive platforming thrown in the mixture.

And lastly, the story. It's barebones and generic, and most of the characters are ultimately wasted - which is a shame, considering how cool they all are.

Looks so good though, I almost forgot I came to give a mixed review.
  16. May 20, 2019
    Game is too easy and the V character is annoying to use.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  17. Jun 5, 2019
    Good game for DMC fans, but not for me. The action system is way too much complicated

1. Apr 27, 2019
    The culmination of the franchise and so much more. Capcom is still putting up the pressure one notch above, with new mechanics, a renewed gameplay, and a replayability that will make you start the game a second time without losing your smile. The story has matured and a good balance has been found with its three destinies that intersect over the course of the missions, until its apocalyptic final. Only big downside in a game that requires precision in its highest difficulty levels: the camera problems and the targeting system.
  2. Apr 20, 2019
    Bland location design aside, Devil May Cry 5 is excellent in all other aspects. Deep combat system, charismatic characters, nice graphics, vibrant soundtrack — this is one hell of a crazy-ass meaty slasher.
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Mar 20, 2019
    DMC 5 takes the best from previous titles, like over the top action and nuanced battle system, adds a great new character and makes the best use of modern technologies. [Issue#236, p.20]