7.7

1. Mar 22, 2020
    Not what i expected.
    The game is totally over engineered. The devs must have sat round patting each other on the back for the ‘bit that they did’.
    This is what happens when you assign a game to a team that has no vision or bad project management. It’s hard to put my finger on what is exactly wrong with it because it is so well put together and runs like a charm. My gripes are solely
    Not what i expected.
    My gripes are solely gameplay related and range from awful platform mechanics, clunky ui, difficulty presented in a much too frustrating way and the aforementioned over engineering.
    It just feels too much like a product and not a doom game
  2. Mar 21, 2020
    this a downgrade in every aspect possible.
    level design is way worse.
    survival aspect of the game through glory killing to get ammo is annoying as F.it really slows down the pace of the game. a lot of reused assets even in the soundtrack. you will recognize 2016 doom only in the end 2-3levels when you have all the uprade.(ammo,health,suit,character) story is nice addition but not in
    this a downgrade in every aspect possible.
    level design is way worse.
    a lot of reused assets even in the soundtrack.
    story is nice addition but not in this way.
    i gave new ori 9 and this is defo in the 5-6 only.@
    buy only on sale.its not a good buy for full price.
  3. Mar 20, 2020
    There is some good and bad in this story...

Good: The game runs extremely good. Some weapons feel great. The combat has a crazy pace of the old Quake and Unreal Tournament games. Bad: The story seems a little off, as if it should not be shoved in your throat so much, Doom 2016 did this much better. You are forced to use the weapons THEY want, not the ones you do. The ammo economy
    There is some good and bad in this story...

Good: The game runs extremely good.
    Some weapons feel great.
    The combat has a crazy pace of the old Quake and Unreal Tournament games.

You are forced to use the weapons THEY want, not the ones you do.
    The ammo economy is painful, boring and annoying. You basically always run out of ammo for multiple weapons, resulting in you having to use the chainsaw or using some stuff you dont like to use.
    The platforming is just too much... it is great to have mobility and to sometimes have to reach something. But the double jump, double dash into a dash recharge and another double dash into swinging on a bar and then catch on a wall is simply not something you enjoy, let alone want in a DOOM game...

I am not really happy with my purchase, I wanted to support the devs by buying for the full price, but I should not have.

The team clearly did not know what they wanted to create, so they made something you sorta enjoy sometimes, but lots of other times you just roll your eyes with a "oh god, not this again..."
  4. Mar 23, 2020
    For me a step back compared to Doom 2016.

* Limited ammo, chainsaw gets boring and repetitive * Cutscene story interrupts * We're supposed to take the story seriously now, but it's trash * Story connects badly with Doom 2016 * Doom Slayer speaks in flashbacks, serious misstep imho * Soundtrack much less hard hitting, few memorable songs * Too many jumping puzzles * Atmosphere is
    For me a step back compared to Doom 2016.

* Limited ammo, chainsaw gets boring and repetitive
    * Cutscene story interrupts
    * We're supposed to take the story seriously now, but it's trash
    * Story connects badly with Doom 2016
    * Doom Slayer speaks in flashbacks, serious misstep imho
    * Soundtrack much less hard hitting, few memorable songs
    * Too many jumping puzzles
    * Atmosphere is somehow less intimidating than Doom 2016 and more cartoony
    * No pistol
    * Many weapons lack punch compared to Doom 2016
    * Can't even melee some of the basic enemies to death, Doom Slayer feels weak
    * Some enemies are bullet sponges
    * Too much focus on playing "the right way" with tactical play and enemy weak points etc.
    * All guns in the game are revealed right away, no sense of discovery
    * UI is pretty bad and intrusive
    * Level design is overall worse

Doom Eternal fundamentally misunderstands what made Doom 2016 so enjoyable for many; sometimes you just want to use the super shotgun, kill demons, feel powerful and listen to heavy metal. And Doom 2016 was also great because, while it did have good and interesting lore, it also laughed in the face of its own story. But with Doom Eternal we're suddenly supposed to care about the story.

The setting and atmosphere is also much less intimidating, in Doom 2016 we saw the remains of a Titan and were told of the epic battle which ensued between the Doom Slayer and the Titan. This was a big deal and we wondered how the hell the Doom Slayer managed to defeat such a beast. In Doom Eternal everything is much less mysterious and intimidating, great beasts like the Titans are just casually walking around.

For me about the only thing better with Doom Eternal, compared to Doom 2016, is the new graphics engine.
  5. Mar 21, 2020
    It's alright, but i can't really warm up to it.

It's alright, but i can't really warm up to it.

It's very, very arcady. Some people might like that tho. The world design is great but neither the character nor items or consumables seem to fit in. Pickups are either super-bright, colored like candy or bob up and down while violently flashing. It might not sound severe but it is really irritating. Like... the chainsaw you rip out of a guys body in Doom 2016, or the rifle you tear from a dead soldies arms. In Doom 2020 they just hover on the ground in the dedicated weapon room at some point in the level, flashing wildly.

This diconnect carries over into the sound design and animations. For one it's really strong and snappy but now and then you have this comical sounds - like when some headshots or ripping out a cacodemons eye will make an audible 'pop' sound that could come straight out of a kids tv show. It might sound super-petty but imagine listening to a metal opera and every now and then the lead goes 'hyuck-hyuck' like Goofy.

Gameplay wise it's good with even more emphasis on movement and a lot more enemies to fight and manage. The pistole is now gone which ... i can understand, but the replacement is that you now always have 1 fuel for the chainsaw with which to kill lesser enemies. The resulting candy explosion is your main way of regenerating ammo. And that's something that does not work for me. When i fight a big demon it's just tideous to turn around and look for one of the endlessly spawning minor zombies so i can get some ammo back. By now every now and then when it happens i roll my eyes with a sigh.

Doomguy itself started bulking and went from just an angry guy who had enough of this **** to stereotypic antihero with a heart of gold, that constantly gets told by everyone how awesome they are. They really go out of the way with pampering the player. Not my favorite design choice.

All that said, it's still a good shooter. It's still an id shooter and they managed to get some fun new gameplay mechanics that act as modifiers on the existing combat. If everything of my complaints sounded like minor issues, you might want to give it a try.
  6. Mar 25, 2020
    I hate this game. Defenely. It's not Doom in every inch, in every fkn element of gameplay! It's not FPS, it's slasher with guns! Most of time you doing two things - jumping and ripping demons with hands or chainsaw, because you always out of ammo or health. This game designed as number of quicktime events, connected with stupid platforming - jump after jump after jump e t.c. Wow effect forI hate this game. Defenely. It's not Doom in every inch, in every fkn element of gameplay! It's not FPS, it's slasher with guns! Most of time you doing two things - jumping and ripping demons with hands or chainsaw, because you always out of ammo or health. This game designed as number of quicktime events, connected with stupid platforming - jump after jump after jump e t.c. Wow effect for youtube videos, but it's plays not as good as it looks!

And they absolutely killed all atmosphere of original Doom series! Hey fat taco, it's isn't CARTOONISH VIOLENCE! Because it never was! It's post-truth of Bethesda marketing department and you KNOW it.

This game is just pain in the ass, it's how it plays, without any balance and anything interesting if you playing on lesser difficulty than Ultra-Violence. It has no place for unique tactics or something, just quicktime events and jumps, because game is teleporting demons right in your face! For fans of Osu and other jerk off games, they absolutely ruined it. Exploring? Nooo! Jump by platforms and play goddamn arcade **** when shooting and close combat is 50/50. It's Doom? It's revolution of FPS genre?! Are you fkn serious?!

Formula is simple - weaker Doomslayer, less ammo, more attachments and more HP to monsters! Doom '16 has a popular Arcade Mode - Doom Eternal is arcade mode only. "Geniously"!

I hate how this guys declined everything from classic Doom games. It doesn't feels like Doom, doesn't plays like Doom, it's not Doom.
  7. Mar 25, 2020
    Do not believe all these positive reviews. Game is nothing like compared to Doom 2016. There is way, way too much Super Mario hopping (seriously, whos "bright" idea was this?) and level design is god awful. You more than often find youself wondering where on earth you should even go. Usually answer is awful and frustrating bunny hopping sequence.

What a disappointment, perhaps the

What a disappointment, perhaps the biggest of the year 2020 already. Would give -10/10 if I could.
  8. Mar 20, 2020
    Constant dynamics, excellent gameplay, good weapon customization, good optimization, beautiful graphics, hardcore - all this is about Doom Eternal. This game is not to relax after a hard day, it will take all your time and strength. 10 chopped demons out of 10.
  9. Mar 20, 2020
    I have about 2 hours in Doom Eternal now. I've been looking forward to this quite a bit since I played Doom 2016. However, this game feels like just another shooter with a bunch of modern gaming BS thrown in - skins, gimmicks, fluff, etc.

Start with the sound track - I think I haven't heard barely any decent music in the 2 hours that I've played so far. It hasn't ramped up once into the great metal soundtrack that is supposed to come with it like Doom 2016 did.

Next with the combat - it's functional. Doesn't feel as brutal as Doom 2016 was, but at least it works... until they put you in the purple goo that makes you move at a crawl, unable to jump, unable to dash (or boost or whatever), and fight tanky enemies... because for some reason, I want my mobility to be taken away in a doom game. Then some of the areas are incredibly cramped - both the arenas and transition areas. Who's idiotic idea was it to put me into a hallway with one of those spider demons with no room to move before I even had the boost function? Who's idiotic idea was it to take away my mobility so drastically in multiple parts of the game? It feels like I'm just grinding out from one area to the next.

Add on the fact that there are now jumping puzzles. I play doom to fight, not to figure out how to jump around some falling platforms. There's a lot of this style of gameplay now - it's fluff. They're not fun, they're not challenging, they're not mentally stimulating, they just waste time.

And then we get into the pacing. Doom 2016 didn't have a ton of lore/story in it which was fine for me. It would be fine with it too... if the cut scenes didn't cut into the combat and slow down the pace considerably. And the doom guy doesn't even seem angry any more. He just seems apathetic and doesn't want to listen to anyone. Doesn't do a ton of random smashing of anything unless it's a glory kill. Add in the puzzles from before and the pace slows down even more.

Then also add in the fact that they actually encourage cheesing in multiple parts - sniping from a distance instead of the close up fast pace combat from Doom. I just... what?

And then I'm really nitpicking here, but the textures, colors, and design used is just kind of arcade-ish and looks like a cartoon.

This is not a doom game. I can still go back to Doom 2016 and get absolutely lost in the battle/chaos. In this, I feel more like I'm checking off lists and such like so many modern "shooters" feel. The brutality is gone, the fast paced combat is mostly gone and just replaced with frustration and cramped environments, it's just not good. I gave it 3/10 just for being functional. Other than that, I wish I hadn't spent 60$ on this.
  10. Mar 21, 2020
    DOOM 2016 was a coherent game where every gameplay element existed to keep you immersed, keep you in the action, keep you going. You'd kill dozens if not hundreds of demons before realizing what happened but the adrenaline was pumping, the music kept you on the edge, and you'd know you caught a break when the music finally slowed down. Only then could you take a moment to realize what'sDOOM 2016 was a coherent game where every gameplay element existed to keep you immersed, keep you in the action, keep you going. You'd kill dozens if not hundreds of demons before realizing what happened but the adrenaline was pumping, the music kept you on the edge, and you'd know you caught a break when the music finally slowed down. Only then could you take a moment to realize what's around you before moving the only way you could: forward, where more action awaited.

DOOM 2016 knew what they were doing and why, there's even a GDC talk about it, available online called "Embracing Push Forward Combat in DOOM".

DOOM Eternal took those gameplay elements and turned them completely around. Instead of filling you with ammo you were low on, it restricts ammo acquisition through the chainsaw, which is on a ****ing cooldown. Instead of rushing forward in the action and feeling like a god amongst demons, you're forced to hide behind pillars while the cooldown comes back so you can start fighting again.

- They removed ammo drop from takedowns, which used to refill ammo you were critically low on
    - They removed the pistol with infinite ammo so you can cause staggers, deal takedowns and get more ammo
    - Melee does no damage, or no significant damage, so you can't cause stagger with that either
    - They put the chainsaw on a ****ing cooldown

In the mid 2000 the video game industry realized that, while health regen was nice for the player, it caused one big issue: players would now spend half their time hiding while the action was supposed to be going on. Since then, a lot of mechanics were put in place to stay player friendly, but not kill the action. Such as splitting the health bar in 3 so that you would never gain more than 1/3 of your health, reducing how much time someone spends hiding. I guess DOOM:Eternal game designers didn't get that memo.

I'm pissed. I wanted DOOM 2016 improved. I wanted a few cool things to do, but really, I wanted more of the same. What I got is a disgrace.

On the upside, the visuals are nice and the music is still pretty good. On the downside, I didn't even talk about the invisible walls everywhere because they couldn't do level design where their platforming would work without also opening up a bunch of potential ways to go around the intended path, so instead they patched everything with invisible walls.
  11. Mar 22, 2020
    This game was such a disappointment. I picked up Doom 2016 in a sale after hearing repeated good things about it - I thought I didn't have much to lose. I was positively surprised the entire time through and keep going to play it.

I've 6+ hours in Doom Eternal so far and... it's just so boring. You don't play Doom for the story as such, but Doom 2016's story was paced perfectly to build tension and the ominous atmosphere. Doom Eternal's story has made me cringe repeatedly. They've taken Doom and turned it into a weird satanic cartoon.

So, ok, let's ignore the story and get to the action. Despite overhauling the weaponry so you can now set demons on fire and chainsaw more frequently, it's somehow less visceral. The chainsaw in Doom 2016 was a great tool you had to deploy tactically for great pay off. Eternal's is just another process you have to go through from time to time; it's necessary work, not a fun reward.

Just avoid this game and play 2016.
  12. Mar 21, 2020
    Played Doom 2016 multiple times, huge fan. This is a massive disappointment.

Constantly out of ammo, slowed down movement speed, goofy neon colors, idiotic new mechanics introduced which you are forced to use, story of 2016 thrown into the dump, ugly pickups (questions marks for secrets for example), ugly UI. More like a survival game or super Mario, as other have said. At least the
    Played Doom 2016 multiple times, huge fan. This is a massive disappointment.

At least the soundtrack is still good and the game is optimized.
  13. Mar 21, 2020
    It's not DOOM, it's DOOM Arcade! The game with so-called cartoonish violence. Don't buy it. It's complete disappointment. DOOM(2016) is many times better and without unnecessary tinsel.
  14. Mar 21, 2020
    I'm really disappointed.

I'm really disappointed.

DooM 2016 was a fantastic game. It had great pacing and enabled a variety of tactics - positioning, crowd management, ammo conservation and deciding how to deal with each group of enemies anew. All this while telling a great story, through exploration of humanity's failed ambitions on Mars. You really felt like the lone outsider who ignores all plans and advice because he's seen it all before.

DooM Eternal feels uninspired and like it barely avoided becoming a generic loot shooter.

Right upon launching the game, you find out that you'll either sign up for Bethesda.net or the game won't let you play. After all, you need to claim your "rewards" check out how you're now the Super Amazinglicious Slayer Level 159 with special weapon skin number #34 or whatever :-(

Behind that is a very repetitive and gimmicky arena shooter. For some reason the DooM slayer now has an unexplained "sanctuary" from which he launches "missions" and some voice is telling him what to do (and he actually complies...)

Gameplay-wise, you'll find that you can only carry enough ammo to defeat 4-5 low-level enemies and that the game is utterly overloaded with gimmicks. Poor Doom Slayer can hardly walk 100 steps without having to watch a cutscene, grab a weapon mod, collectible, new punching skill, new special ability, stat upgrade etc.

And swinging around on poles, grabbing onto walls? Doesn't really work for this game. I'm loosing the will to continue playing... I've already got a flamer (R), chainsaw (C), fist (E) / blood fist (E) that the game continuously forces me to use to get ammo/health. I wonder how many more "moves" remain to be dumped on me (certainly wall running and grappling hook are still out there) that get in the way of enjoying the game.
  15. Mar 20, 2020
    Bethesda is a curse at its current state. Constant popups and weird color scheme, did you try to merge Fortnite and Doom from 2016? Its too arcade and cartoonish, I don't know who is the target player here but mine is refunded. Oh yeah, it requires Bethesda dot net login even if you buy it from Steam.
  16. Mar 22, 2020
    Game is overhyped. Gun mechanics are overcomplicated. Farming resources is annoying. It stops becoming fun after an hour and just becomes a chore. There's no freedom on how to approach a situation, now you have to figure out their combat puzzle. The platforming is ridiculous. I wanted to play Doom, not Super Mario or Donkey Kong. It was supposed to be a fps, not a parkour puzzle game. It'sGame is overhyped. Gun mechanics are overcomplicated. Farming resources is annoying. It stops becoming fun after an hour and just becomes a chore. There's no freedom on how to approach a situation, now you have to figure out their combat puzzle. The platforming is ridiculous. I wanted to play Doom, not Super Mario or Donkey Kong. It was supposed to be a fps, not a parkour puzzle game. It's a boring, cartoonish waste of money. Expand
  17. Mar 20, 2020
    The game is seriously overrated. Its like ID forgot what their product is about.
    Bethesda account required.
    Graphics don't look better, blood looks like liquid plastic. Pacing is completely off. Story is all over the place. Cutscenes all the time, like all the time, horrible interruption. Gamplay, weapon unlock - horrible pacing, like the levels were built by interns. AI - retards,
    Bethesda account required.
    Graphics don't look better, blood looks like liquid plastic.
    Pacing is completely off.
    Story is all over the place.
    Cutscenes all the time, like all the time, horrible interruption.
    AI - retards, just retards that rush you and glue to your face.
    Music - on its own it is great but it doesn't fit the pacing...
    Not worth your time. Don't even bother on sale.
  18. Mar 23, 2020
    1st of all IGNORE ALL 10 reviews they are trolls. also ignore all critic reviews they are PAID to give it a high score!

welp this was disappointing it's just another run and gun shooter with way annoying platforming levels. you travel on one path go into a room monsters appear you kill them all (that's if you don't run out of ammo 1st) than you can proceed and rinse and repeat with

than you can proceed and rinse and repeat with really annoying platforming jumping puzzles levels thrown in that throws you back to the start of them if you fail and you will.

the fancy graphics and blood and gore don't make a game great it's the gameplay and this games gameplay is garbage. and if i wanted to do jumping puzzles i'd play damned MARIO!!
  19. Mar 21, 2020
    Over-bloated, over-designed crap, that completely misunderstood the spirit of the awesome 2016 game.

- Out of ammo constantly, all guns. This is a design choice - Annoying tutorials that break the action. Yes you can disable, but you need to learn the new annoying mechanics - Using chainsaw, glory kill etc. isn't optional anymore. Main way to get ammo/health - Melee does no damage,

- Out of ammo constantly, all guns. This is a design choice
    - Melee does no damage, unless enemies are staggered
    - Forced to use chainsaw constantly
    - Super annoying platforming, instead ditching it (already bad in 2016) they put it on steroids
    - More linear maps than 2016
    - Ugly menus and HUD. No matter how much you change colors. Disabling it gimps your gameplay
    - Worst of all, the hideous red LOW AMMO bar, blocking your view (you'll see lot of that)
    - The font used everywhere makes Comic Sans look good
    - Literally, the UI designer must be blind or retarded or both
    - Confusing, nonsensical story nobody cares about.. constant cutscenes break the action
    - Doom guy isn't as brutal anymore, he calmly listens to the idiotic speeches the NPCs give
    - No pickup animation for guns, instead collect ugly floating neon icons -> teleport to tutorial
    - You're forced to use all guns, by being out of ammo constantly --> time for chainsaw
    - Ugly garish rainbow colored pickups pouring out of enemies
    - Guns are ugly 90's style floating pickups now, instead of grounded look of 2016
    - Graphics not really that impressive, art style is cartoony compared to 2016. Technically maybe better graphics, artistically NOT better
    - Music is good, but not as good as 2016, Mick Gordon going through motions, nearly all of the riffs suck compared to 2016

Avoid and save 60€. The biggest letdown of 2020 so far, probably will remain the biggest.
  20. Mar 21, 2020
    Disappointing sequel.

Doom 2016 was an exercise in restraint. Gameplay and story were streamlined. Doom Eternal developers thought that adding more game mechanics and things makes a better game but it makes the gameplay unfocused and frustrating. Too many mechanics (glory kills, chainsaw, freeze bomb, flamethrower, dash) and you are forced to use them if you want to survive. There's
    Disappointing sequel.

Too many mechanics (glory kills, chainsaw, freeze bomb, flamethrower, dash) and you are forced to use them if you want to survive. There's too little ammo (your shotgun has 16 rounds at the start) so you have to constantly use the chainsaw animation to get more.

Platforming is frustrating. The story is in your face and the writing is cringe-worthy.

You can only start having fun after dropping to difficulty level, obtaining all the weapons and buying all the ammo upgrades.

If you liked all the Doom games in the past 20 years, it will be hard to adjust to this. What's wrong if you just want to shoot a demon in the face without having to worry about all the additional mechanics.
  21. Mar 21, 2020
    I really wanted to like this game. I only played it for about 90 minutes and returned it so maybe it gets better later on. There were a significant number of jumping puzzles and with a double jump and double dash it got stupid fast. Having to figure out how to double jump to a platform that drops into lava in one second and then in that 1 second find the next spot to jump too oh too lateI really wanted to like this game. I only played it for about 90 minutes and returned it so maybe it gets better later on. There were a significant number of jumping puzzles and with a double jump and double dash it got stupid fast. Having to figure out how to double jump to a platform that drops into lava in one second and then in that 1 second find the next spot to jump too oh too late you hit the lava. Do all that jumping **** again. I played up until I got to a level where literally I did like 30 minutes of jumping puzzles. I wanted to quit but couldn't because i wasn't sure if it was going to save what checkpoint I was at and force me to restart the stupid jumping puzzle heavy level. I cannot emphasize how much I **** hated the jumping and dashing puzzels.

On top of that instead of bringing in new colors and environments it's "hell on earth" so instead of being new and exciting it's the same dumb browns and reds because they brought hell to earth. Such a dumb design decision. Weapons feel under powered and are not satisfying and you carry a hilariously small amount of ammo for each one. I paid like $96 for the game with the year one stuff and honestly I'd probably never play this game again the jumping and dashing puzzles annoyed me so much.
  22. Mar 21, 2020
    Exactly the same crap they did with Youngblood:
    -enemies are bulletsponges
    -overly complicated and convoluted story -cannot carry ammo for one damn fight without running away looking for more ammo. -cannot melee ANYONE. A damn base zombie at 30 melee hits was about to kill me, on EASY difficulty.(you cant kill them with melee,basically,and yes, i counted ) Whoever gives this game a
    Exactly the same crap they did with Youngblood:
    -enemies are bulletsponges
    -overly complicated and convoluted story

Whoever gives this game a 10/10 must be shilled by bethesda HARD, or has no IDEA what Doom is.

BETHESDA is now number one on GARBAGE LIST.
  23. Mar 21, 2020
    I LOVED 2016 version. I hoped for a great sequel and followed all the hype. And what we get is not a doom game, it's as far from it's 2016 predecessor as it can be. The pace is slowwww now. You are always distracted by some stupid notifications, camera flyovers and cutscenes. The "story" is a joke they made up to connect totally unconnected areas you are teleported all the time., the styleI LOVED 2016 version. I hoped for a great sequel and followed all the hype. And what we get is not a doom game, it's as far from it's 2016 predecessor as it can be. The pace is slowwww now. You are always distracted by some stupid notifications, camera flyovers and cutscenes. The "story" is a joke they made up to connect totally unconnected areas you are teleported all the time., the style is quite different. Gameplay is like ID devs had a brainstorm all the time and it was like "uh oh, lets add this thing and that and all this stuff on top". As a result we have 5 different upgrade systems - for weapons, for weapons upgrades, for the suite, for the runes, for the ship + all the cosmetics etc. And if in Doom 2016 it was quite clear and useful, here it's just a mess. Platforming ... why? Who wants jumps and ledgers and wall-climb in Doom? Then we have ammo-armor-health system. Could you imagine that you will be constantly out of ammo in Doom? So that instead of shooting demons and having fun you must constantly think when to set them on fire, when to use chainsaw to get ammo etc? And what if you are out of ammo AND fuel for chainsaw? That's it, you are dead.
    So for everyone who was hoping for a sequel for a great 2016 game, this is NOT it. It's sumthing slow, cumbersome and overloaded upgrade nonsense.
  24. Mar 22, 2020
    Childish boomstick. Kinda entertaining at first, but becoming repetitive rather fast. Everything what we hate is there, respawning enemies, checkpoint saves, enemies fighting to each other as a decoration as they never actually kill each other. Special kills is a routine, as you need to finish almost every enemy with it to get a "prize" - ammo, which is btw very limited. Honestly, I willChildish boomstick. Kinda entertaining at first, but becoming repetitive rather fast. Everything what we hate is there, respawning enemies, checkpoint saves, enemies fighting to each other as a decoration as they never actually kill each other. Special kills is a routine, as you need to finish almost every enemy with it to get a "prize" - ammo, which is btw very limited. Honestly, I will try to get a moneyback. Expand
  25. Mar 20, 2020
    I don’t understand how THIS simulator of piano and ammunition collection can be called DOOM.
    No fun, no fun action game, you just run around and try to **** find bullets while the ****ing chainsaw is on cd.
    Absolutely unnecessary puzzle games that break the pace of the game, inadequate number of bugs and softlocks for AAA games.
  26. Mar 20, 2020
    Incredibly disappointing sequel. Combat pacing feels mangled as you have to constantly glory kill and chainsaw kill due to the low ammo capacity. It's no longer a fun way to replenish the ammo of your favourite weapon because you overused it a bit in the last arena, no, you have to constantly do it to stay alive. The aesthetic also feels way off. The UI is horrendous in many differentIncredibly disappointing sequel. Combat pacing feels mangled as you have to constantly glory kill and chainsaw kill due to the low ammo capacity. It's no longer a fun way to replenish the ammo of your favourite weapon because you overused it a bit in the last arena, no, you have to constantly do it to stay alive. The aesthetic also feels way off. The UI is horrendous in many different ways, and the graphics frequently look washed out and cartoony. I also really hate the enemy weakness system they have in place. Certain enemies are weak to a specific weapon, or rather weapon upgrade, if used in a specific way. Unfortunately this doesn't give you a minor advantage, it turns them into bullet sponges if you don't kill them exactly the way the game wants you to. This is not how Doom should work. Enemies should be weak to the way you move, not the weapon upgrade that you use. In this case, instead of keeping your rhythm up, the game forces you to just fiddle with your weapon selection ALL the time. Add to the above an abundance of tedious platforming and the facepalm-worthy excuse for a "story" and you get a very mediocre, frequently annoying shooter that scores even lower due to the shoes it has to fill. Skip it. Expand
  27. Mar 20, 2020
    pros:
    automap looks cool, no-drm on day 1, great tool if you want to feel like you got monochromacy sight.
    Cons:
    Everything's brown or brownish-red color, weapons feels weak, constant interruptions in form of pop-up messages or cut-scenes.
    i guess it's cool if you never played anything outside of doom 2016.
  28. Mar 23, 2020
    This game doesn't deserve the high score. Don't get me wrong, I really loved Doom 2016. It's hands down the best FPS I've ever played in my entire life. I was looking forward to Doom Eternal and I was hyped. However, my excitement went from very high to very low when starting up the game and seeing the Doom logo for the first time. After playing for about 90 minutes, it was justThis game doesn't deserve the high score. Don't get me wrong, I really loved Doom 2016. It's hands down the best FPS I've ever played in my entire life. I was looking forward to Doom Eternal and I was hyped. However, my excitement went from very high to very low when starting up the game and seeing the Doom logo for the first time. After playing for about 90 minutes, it was just disappointment after disappointment. They have changed a super good game-play formula (what Doom 2016 had) to something else. Why are they trying to change the game? It made it worse. Too little ammo, too cartoon-ish and silly, just a couple of enemies and then the area is done. WHAT THE HELL, give me ACTION! Tutorial messages was coming up constantly and you didn't even get some breathing room to learn your new skill. The pacing is bad. Why introduce jump puzzles? Why try to be another game?

What made me turn off the game and refund it was when I got into a cave of goo and monsters was coming up from the ground, one by one at a very slow pace and you couldn't even avoid the first hit the enemies was doing. At this moment, it didn't feel like I was playing Doom anymore. Sad. Really sad. Doom to me is about BRUTALITY, GORE, MOBILITY and ACTION. You destroyed this game for me. I can see that some other people like this game and say it's the best FPS they have played. They haven't played Doom 2016 then.

See ya.

EDIT: I can see someone is making different accounts and pasting in the same review and giving the game a 10 like 10 times. You can't trust review scores anymore. And I bet many of the so-called "critic reviews" aren't using critical thinking. More like sponsored thinking. Just press Ctrl+F and type in "Had good characters" and you will see all the posts.
  29. Mar 20, 2020
    I am so disappointed by this game. It is dull. All the sharpness that was introduced in 2016 is just lacking here. I have no interested in playing a shooter where you are note given ammo to shot with. Everything about this game is just lame.
  30. Mar 20, 2020
    Fails to capture the experience that made the first game so great. It's trying way to hard to expand on a game that has no room for expansion. Doom is not an open world game, it's not a deep story that requires lore.The previous game had a great, self contained story that complimented the actual game. I loved it because it because of its simplicity and focus on making fighting seem like aFails to capture the experience that made the first game so great. It's trying way to hard to expand on a game that has no room for expansion. Doom is not an open world game, it's not a deep story that requires lore.The previous game had a great, self contained story that complimented the actual game. I loved it because it because of its simplicity and focus on making fighting seem like a dance without crutching on gimmicky crap and more importantly without having some kind of lore. It's trying to be more than it is, which is sad. Not to mention the graphical fidelity is far lower than expected, most likely because they tried to make it huge and open instead of the closed arena style combat I loved so much about the first one. Expand
  31. Mar 20, 2020
    Эта игра отдельное удовольствие которое выходило за 2020 год. Я бы сказал что игра просто шедевральна на мой вкус. всем рекомендую к покупке))
  32. Mar 20, 2020
    Overall downgrade compared to DOOM 2016, don't know if it's just my computer, but controls stutter constantly, slow loading, "teleporting" enemies, at least cut-scenes were more or less optimized.
    I wouldn't recommend buying game now, before they fix terrible performance issues.
  33. Mar 30, 2020
    Sure Half-Life Alyx is the best PC game of 2020, But it's VR and a lot of people can't afford VR setups, So Doom Eternal is our best bet, AKA it's the best non-VR game in 2020!
  34. Mar 29, 2020
    Background - I beat game on nightmare.

Background - I beat game on nightmare.

This is one of the best shooter campaigns I've played in 20 years. The game is a true evolution from the first one, and a masterclass in game design. Every gun/ability is a part of a tool-set that rewards the player for learning how to use it by providing the ability to eviscerate enemies with surgical precision at lightening speed.. I'm sure those looking for a mindless shooter may not appreciate that aspect of the game or its skill requirements. For those people, I'd honestly recommend passing on this, For everyone else, this is a must buy.

The only thing that stopped me from rating it a 10 was the lack of a more robust multiplayer. While fun, I question Battlemode's longevity and balance. For those unaware. Battlemode is where one player plays the slayer fighting against two player controlled demons.
  35. Mar 22, 2020
    ID does not understand DOOM 2016, while DOOM eschewed all but the necessary, Eternal is bloated with unnecessary elements, the constant cutscene that have no purpose, the low amount of ammunitions around that with the low ammo capacity even with full upgrades and the enemies being made with brick walls renders the game a constant scrap for ammo, the gimmicky shoulder weapons, theID does not understand DOOM 2016, while DOOM eschewed all but the necessary, Eternal is bloated with unnecessary elements, the constant cutscene that have no purpose, the low amount of ammunitions around that with the low ammo capacity even with full upgrades and the enemies being made with brick walls renders the game a constant scrap for ammo, the gimmicky shoulder weapons, the gimmickier boss fights that then get repurposed as regular enemies, all the useless weapon progression, the focus on a boring story.
    And while the platforming is good, the core gameplay is good and the game runs smoothly on a mid tier machine from 4 years ago, but this is still overshadowed by the bloat.
  36. Mar 23, 2020
    Really wanted to like this game following the amazing 2016 DOOM.

However, it just sucks. Almost without exception the new additions to the game suck. The storyline is this serious religious cult/DOOMGUY origin story (I have no idea if it is set before or after DOOM 2016) which you can either ignore or read all about in the codex, either way it doesn’t make a lot of sense so save
    Really wanted to like this game following the amazing 2016 DOOM.

However, it just sucks.

Almost without exception the new additions to the game suck. The storyline is this serious religious cult/DOOMGUY origin story (I have no idea if it is set before or after DOOM 2016) which you can either ignore or read all about in the codex, either way it doesn’t make a lot of sense so save yourself the bother and skip school.

The combat is similar to 2016 but with some more buttons to press. The flamethrower is quite fun, but the glory kills seem graphically toned down. The mechanic is also a little clumsy by forcing you into melee a stunned demon for the health they drop, you are almost always putting yourself in danger. This was also true of 2016 but due to the more cramped maps it feels more apparent.

The part that absolutely ruins the game is the Marauder. This boss has no business being in this type of game at all. It’s like he escaped from Dark Souls. DOOM was about fast paced shooting, running from a ton of different types of enemies and using the terrain to your advantage whilst you pick off the demons. This guy is completely contrary to all of that, slowing the pace down and being so much more difficult to kill (not impossible by any means) than any other demon in the game, including bosses. In addition, if any other demons are present it’s even more challenging as he takes so much focus, again unlike another other enemy. It’s a huge speedbump in the gameplay.

And then there is the platforming. Why did they add all this climbing and jumping and dashing – this isn’t even DOOM anymore it’s Spiderman. For every combat section there is a puzzle platformer or parkour section. These make sense in ruined city sections or areas which are supposed to be off limits, but I’m supposed to believe the only entrance to this floating temple or whatever it is, this religious hub, is asking people to bounce and swing and vault their way across platforms to get to church? It’s just designed for the sake of platforming, without any logic.

It’s like they made the perfect DOOM in 2016 but they had to justify their own jobs so they added a load of unnecessary things to put a new spin on it, whilst leaving out some understated but powerful elements, but it’s totally unbalanced.

For instance, in 2016 DOOMGUY was this hyper violent, no time for your bullsh*t character. He broke everything to that was key to the mission, didn’t care about the instructions or requests he got as everything was literally going to hell anyway. This wasn’t a lack of a script or story, it was a pretty powerful message, a middle finger to authority and matched the games intense violent combat with brutal, and often amusing, narrative. It was also very easy for the player to follow and enjoy and kept the fast pace.

In Eternal you have a story that seems to be missing it’s beginning. Then DOOMGUY seems either stoned or bored by the whole thing, and there is no humour whatsoever. You lose control of your character constantly for these cutscenes to play out, interrupting the flow of the game as you just wonder around priests talking about something you didn’t research before the scene started.

If you do like platforms and puzzles there are a ton of secret items to find which sadly has very little appeal to me, not because of the concept but just because the main game is so tedious.

The music doesn’t feel like it kicks as much as 2016, but that could be because I’m not enjoying the game as much. It certainly doesn’t stand out though.

Visually it’s very well made – if anything the later levels are overly done. It does create a real other worldly sense, but it’s not really a world I find appealing. The hellscapes return and look great, as does burnt out earth cities. The gothic citadels look very nice, but it doesn’t fit with DOOM to be wondering around a damp old castle when this is sci-fi horror.

Sadly I can’t recommend a game I was desperately looking forward to in 2020, it takes a modern classic, tries to enhance it, and by doing so it wrecks what made it a classic to begin with.
  37. Mar 23, 2020
    I had a funny feeling early on that the development team would get bogged down by adding to many new features to a sequel to DOOM 2016's impeccably streamlined approach to character progression and game design. Mostly from that trailer they showed us several months ago, which to be honest actually looked better than whatever they ended up releasing. DOOM 2016 was in development hell forI had a funny feeling early on that the development team would get bogged down by adding to many new features to a sequel to DOOM 2016's impeccably streamlined approach to character progression and game design. Mostly from that trailer they showed us several months ago, which to be honest actually looked better than whatever they ended up releasing. DOOM 2016 was in development hell for quite a while, so its not exactly surprising that a sequel would struggle to differentiate itself from the former, or worse the people behind it might have thought that holding on to a formula that worked before might stagnate the game play in future installments. This turned out to not be the case. What we got was a bloated, boring, and overly complicated set of new power-ups, moves, abilities and a ridiculously last-minute upgrade system that doesn't complement the actual game in any way. DOOM - eternal, is actually quite a poignant title really, its implying that anyone could take the plot of a doom game seriously and in this instance it might've just been more prudent to call it DOOM 2020 or something. In no way, did anyone really want a serious plot conclusion to 2016's. I felt it was done as more a tongue-in-cheek, consequentially, a cheeky cliff-hanger, not as serious character motivation for a sequel. I didn't care for cutscenes in the first outing, so why on earth did you think for a second people would enjoy more of them? The visual cacophony alone is enough to turn some players off entirely, which is strange as 2016's art design was rather good, and hardly generic. Its funny to me that in an effort to appease some unseen producer, shareholder, or omnipotent parent company, developers of DOOM - Eternal have decided to go completely against the grain and rather than building off the first title, they've decided to turn the volume knob to "11.5." In summary its more a step backwards in the series and possibly its own death knell, as companies continue the battle for commercial dominance in a time where much is becoming homogenized and indistinguishable. It happened with the latest Wolfenstein game, even after people repeatedly thought they should've stopped after the first new entry and the trend continues with developers trying to appeal to everyone at once. With this approach its very easy to throw many darts at the dartboard, but they fly everywhere and you'll never score very high at all when they always miss the center. Expand
  38. Mar 21, 2020
    Ok so after a number of hours in, I don't know where I am story wise, half way? 20%? 75%?

I feel a bit disappointed. In DOOM 2016 I felt badass! All them demons were my **** and I was there to make them pay! Now I feel like I'm just doing jumping puzzles half the time which are increasing in difficulty so you barely know where the **** you're supposed to go and the rest of the time I'm

I feel a bit disappointed.

Now I feel like I'm just doing jumping puzzles half the time which are increasing in difficulty so you barely know where the **** you're supposed to go and the rest of the time I'm fighting for my ****ing life. I'm their ****ing **** now. I even went down in difficulty and it still feels hectic as **** and not that I am in any way shape or form in control of anything.

I guess this might be purposeful. I could be squishy in the first half of the story for a reason and later go crazy bananas overpowered. I'm hoping.

If not then this was a downgrade from 2016 for me. I can see what they wanted to do with the game. But I doubt this will pay off.

2016 was a great balance of fighting, running and jumping.

This is so off balance, it's like someone forcing you to have a paintball battle in a tiny little playground with swings, carouselles and slides but the floor is lava and pieces fall off if you stand still for one second.

**** just too damned busy.

My two cents.
  39. Mar 24, 2020
    It's a decent game but it didn't feel like DOOM 2016. The combat felt like they really dialed it back for consoles. Even though Doomguy is faster (in theory?) It really slugs along. The biggest goof so far seems to be the ammo. There just isn't any ammo. No ammo, it becomes all run, and no gun. Having to chainsaw every minute and have no good melee mechanic (or pistol!) really sucks. IfIt's a decent game but it didn't feel like DOOM 2016. The combat felt like they really dialed it back for consoles. Even though Doomguy is faster (in theory?) It really slugs along. The biggest goof so far seems to be the ammo. There just isn't any ammo. No ammo, it becomes all run, and no gun. Having to chainsaw every minute and have no good melee mechanic (or pistol!) really sucks. If you run out of ammo, and there is a strong demon you can't chainsaw, that means it's time to start over. Which ruins the already slowed down shooting. So it goes from slower, to stopped. And don't get me wrong DOOM 2016 had it's issues with some checkpoints but it never felt like a chore to play. It felt like a challenge.

The other issue immediately is the problem with the tutorials constantly popping up and cutscenes. This is DOOM not Metal Gear Solid. There is NO TIME TO BLEED. LESS STORY MORE SHOOTING. Demons are invading Earth. That's all we need to know. Doomguy doesn't have a single purpose except to kill monsters. I don't need to know anything else. Sure cutscenes are skippable but it feels weird having them at all. I was two hours in and I was STILL getting tutorials. IN DOOM. It might be some kid's first FPS but it sure as hell was obnoxious to be taught how to use a flame thrower in a literal simulated room an hour into the game. Come on ID, give us the guns and ammo and we point and shoot. That;s how this works.

Other than that the graphics were improved and the music felt good but it felt like a hollowed version of the fantastic reboot.

They should call this DOOM CASUAL because even on harder difficulties it's not hard because it's hard, it's just hard to want to keep your eyes open. Do yourself a favor and play DOOM 2016 and try Eternal back to back. The difference is night and day.
  40. Mar 25, 2020
    Much worse than the 2016 DOOM. It's not real doom anymore, but some arcade style game. Jumping puzzles are a pain in the ass, it's no fun at all having to run across half the map to retry the jump only to fall down again (as there is no saveload for some reason). The combat is ok, but somehow feels downgraded from the 2016. The purple goo where you can't jump is another dumb idea in thisMuch worse than the 2016 DOOM. It's not real doom anymore, but some arcade style game. Jumping puzzles are a pain in the ass, it's no fun at all having to run across half the map to retry the jump only to fall down again (as there is no saveload for some reason). The combat is ok, but somehow feels downgraded from the 2016. The purple goo where you can't jump is another dumb idea in this game. Overall, it's hard to give this game more than 5 due to all the problems. Expand
  41. Mar 26, 2020
    I don't like it. I love DOOM 2016, but this is Super Mario with shotgun. First two hours i was heavyly bored. No action, so much chanted music was heard only occasionally and jumping like a Super Mario, constantly out of ammo ... This is not doom feeling, lot off ammo loved gun an constantly action this i looking in DOOM game.
  42. Mar 26, 2020
    Doom 2016 had almost perfect level of consistency. Doom eternal is like very colorful Comander Keen mixed with hardcore lore and logic miss-steps.
  43. Mar 24, 2020
    If you like this playstyle and visuals, you are certainly in for a treat. But if you are not comfortable with it, you won't be able to force yourself into liking it.

My problem here is that most of the time, especially whenever you get into a brawl (not shootout, there is surprisingly little shooting happening), you are no longer in control of your movement since you beam from place to place, get stuck in animations that also reset the camera every time, and even when the action calms down you still get to do some light parkour that has the same flaw. It's like the game is constantly trying to play itself and I'm only in the way.

It is technically flawless and certainly looks fantastic in a video, but I just can't get used to it, and I never really feel in control. While it certainly gives your actions a severe impact, it always left me feeling slightly disoriented, and while the constant finishers are very well done, you can only be impressed by them so many times.

I'm also not too fond of all the tumbling fortnite-esque icons whenever you slay an enemy. In a DOOM game I expect the room to be littered with corpses when I'm done, not sparkling in rainbow colors. The visuals overall are are a little too playful for me, but that is once again up to your personal taste. Just be aware that it won't get better (or, depending on your view, worse). There's a lot of atmosphere, but it never felt scary or disgusting or at least claustrophobic.

While the sound design is borderline perfect, the music wasn't too memorable either. To be honest: I have a hard time understanding the hype. But I guess 8-year-old me would have uttered a lot of "cooools" and "woooahs", so if you can get in that mindset (and I envy you for it), this is a game for you.
  44. Mar 22, 2020
    I never played Doom 2016 when that came out and that "Glory Kill" Mechanic didn't look interesting to me at all. I also didn't that Level setup of having a "Arena" style room where you fight then exit into some connective corridor into the next "Arena" room.

But i did play the original Doom and Doom II back in the day. Excessively. I seen Doom Eternal on YouTube where one of the

But i did play the original Doom and Doom II back in the day. Excessively.

I seen Doom Eternal on YouTube where one of the Developers showcased it, and praised all of those nifty "Combat Puzzle" like elements. The graphic looked super interesting, borderline gorgeous, in a style just like the Quake games where, if you ever played Quake 3 Arena ... some Levels here look directly from there. Broken Church Cathedrals, destroyed Cityscapes intertwined with weird demonic flesh growing. Scary and yet pretty.

So what do i like about it?

The Music is pretty good, if you like light, scary Metal, it fits right in with the Graphic theme ... which is also good. I like both quite allot, those where the main draw to this game.
    I also like all the different things you can do with the Weapons Alternate Fire, all upgrades. It really feels very good to shoot those Demons, seeing their body get ripped to into pieces, flesh flying off, revealing the intestines and bones underneath.

What do i not like.

The first thing i dislike, is those "Corridors" between two Combat Arenas. You can Double Jump, Double Dash(even in mid air), grab certain kinds of marked walls and crawl up like Spiderman (which doesn't fit into this game at all) and there are horizontal Poles that you can jump towards that then give you speed and height. I would like to just SHOOT DEMONS and not have to deal with a First Person Jump'n'Run, I not know those segments did bore me quite allot. They where not particular hard, just boring and annoying.

Then the actual Demon Shooting. The "Arenas" in which you fight Demons are super tiny and once you are inside Demons will spawn all around you in waves and you get attacked from all possible angles. If you stay still for more then 2 seconds you probably die, so the name of the game is to keep moving around that Arena.
    But that's not all, the amount of Ammunition you can hold at first is VERY tight, so you permanently run low on it. This forces you to kill one or more of hose "Fodder Demons" with your Chainsaw, which is a skill that recharges with Demons you kill, meaning if you miss too much you are screwed.

What the base Gameplay Loop in those Arenas is, is first seeing which Major Demon is around you. Then switching to a Weapon that allows you to hit that Demons weak spot, while dodging the Fodder Demons.
    When you start to loose too much Health you have to shoot one of those Fodder Demons, which then starts to blink so you can Glory Kill it to gain Health back(or, search for a Medikit in the area).
    You also have to keep an eye on your Ammunition and Chainsaw skill so if you run low on Ammunition (which you WILL constantly) you need to run up to a Fodder Demon and use the Chainsaw to gain Ammunition back.
    And lastly you have that "Flame Belch" shoulder mounted Flame Thrower that you can use to set Demons on fire which then drop Armor Tokens when you damage them, or kill them (though there are pickups too).

Overall, i do not like those Jump'n'Run segments between two Arenas and i not like the Arenas size, they give me anxiety and claustrophobic vibes.
    Also I still dislike all those mechanics surrounding "Glory Kills" to regain Health, using a Chainsaw to refill Ammunition or to set Demons on fire using the "Flame Belch" Cannon.

The combat is allot more frantic then it is strategic, though there IS a very Strategic gameplay as to how to beat those bigger Demons.

Too bad, this disappointed me. What i wanted, was a simple game with challenging Levels that i can run through and kill Demons. Just like the Original Doom.
    And yet there are good starting points right here. Just trash the Jump'n'Run segments, ditch that "Arena" style combat and make a big Level where you let the Player run around, kill Demons, select upgrades and what not.
  45. Mar 22, 2020
    Having just played Doom 2016 with my wife I gotta ask id why they changed some of the things they did. The FIRST level had me fighting Cacodemons, an enemy from mid-2016, extra lives seem out of place,, and hand-holdy, like they knew the game was too hard at first. Why can't I one-punch stagger base zombies or imps any more? I can punch a concrete wall, but have to bunch zombies half aHaving just played Doom 2016 with my wife I gotta ask id why they changed some of the things they did. The FIRST level had me fighting Cacodemons, an enemy from mid-2016, extra lives seem out of place,, and hand-holdy, like they knew the game was too hard at first. Why can't I one-punch stagger base zombies or imps any more? I can punch a concrete wall, but have to bunch zombies half a dozen times to stagger, 2016 they were legit fodder. In 2016 keycards were attached to bodies and had a story, here the first one I found was just... floating in a garage. I feel like rather than continue to do new things, id felt a need to bring in some old (or antiquated in this case) elements. I find it hard to see this real and sometimes surreal apocalypse setting, followed by a neon green 1up in an elevator shaft. Adding climbing while removing crouching seems odd, and why is your icon on the green map ALSO green? In 2016 you were yellow. Thank you for sharing this video, I think part of my problem comes from having played the previous title all week, so some of the new/odd-feeling design choices hit harder. I miss punching, though.

Tl;Dr: They tried to hard to do some weird stuff, and it hurts the game coming from 2016.
  46. Mar 28, 2020
    Good but not great.

Pros: * Engaging combat loop that encourages you to use the right tools for the right times and target the right spots. * Large levels packed with optional content and reward exploration. * Beautiful scenary, visually gorgeous looking and varied environments. Cons: * Heavy reliance on locked and wave-based arenas to pad out the length of the game. * Combat
    Good but not great.

Pros:
    * Large levels packed with optional content and reward exploration.
    * Beautiful scenary, visually gorgeous looking and varied environments.

Cons:
    * Combat loop can feel restrictive and repetitive with having to harvest resources from enemies all the time and watching the same animations all time.
    * Too much platforming that feels shoe-horned, not exactly bad platforming but it can become annoying if you're not into it.
    * Confusing story and plot, thankfully it can be mostly ignored.

Overall I'd definitely recommend this to any FPS enthusiast, but not at its current full price.
  47. Mar 20, 2020
    I had high hopes for this one. The graphics, environments, and music are pretty awesome I must admit, but that is pretty much all this game is.
    Maybe I went in with the wrong expectations, but the gameplay is just too frantic. You run around trapped in circles in smallish arena rooms with very limited ammo trying to shoot demons that spawn from everywhere. When you run out of ammo (and you will constantly) you have to cut an enemy with a chainsaw... which also has ammo... to get more ammo.
    The story is told using codex entries which disturbs the flow of the game. I felt like I really wanted to explore the cool environments for loot and lore, but there is none to be had.
    The platforming elements did not impress me.
    Maybe this is a really good shooter, but I don't really like "pure" shooters, and this was not the game to change my mind.
  48. Mar 26, 2020
    I really liked Doom 2016 and hoped this would be a solid sequel.. But no.

- I don't need MMORPG-like cartoonish design. - I don't need infinitely respawning monsters. - I don't want you to limit my ammo this much, only to force me to use specific gameplay features. - I don't want to see those rainbow fountains of ammo all the time. - I don't need whole game consisting only of
    I really liked Doom 2016 and hoped this would be a solid sequel.. But no.

- I don't need MMORPG-like cartoonish design.
    - I don't need infinitely respawning monsters.
    - I don't want to see those rainbow fountains of ammo all the time.
    - I don't need whole game consisting only of arena-like levels.
    - I don't need you to tell me which weapon is right to use.
    - I don't need tons of abilities with cooldowns in a shooter.
    - I don't need big shiny question marks on secrets and arcade-styled powerups.
    - I don't need this much platforming.
    - I don't want this weird way of storytelling.

I simply don't get why we couldn't keep the formula of Doom 2016, where it was so satisfying to crush monsters' sculls. Where is it all gone? And where is all this storyline coming from? Why do we need this generic fantasy nonsense in a Doom game, what is it, Harry Potter fanfiction? And also why do I need to watch monsters fighting each other without taking any actual damage? Is it supposed to be funny?

Thanks, but no, refund, I will rather play any other Doom game. This one is not just a bad Doom game, this is not even a shooter. This is First Person Mario-Dota-Slasher, a new kind of genre, which I defenitely do NOT like. And it is a shame they spoiled great Doom series with this awful game.

PS. What those positive reviewers are even talking about - "resource management", "strategic thinking"? How about this strategy - "press E for ammo, press C for health", does it sound smart to you? Resource management existed in classic Doom games where you had actually to learn level to find hidden ammo, or otherwise you would just die, because there was no infinite farming. Modern mass-market "gamers" would just cry, I believe, so here you have doom eternal.
  49. Mar 22, 2020
    At first I was hyped about new Doom announcement, then after seeing trailers with **** rap music, **** slogans and **** skins, I became wary, and now, after 2 hours in game I'm kinda dissapointed. It's not, like, thrash bad, it's just... empty. Soulless. Like yet another pixelated platformer or yet another survival with craft. Developers tried to attract as many players as they can, soAt first I was hyped about new Doom announcement, then after seeing trailers with **** rap music, **** slogans and **** skins, I became wary, and now, after 2 hours in game I'm kinda dissapointed. It's not, like, thrash bad, it's just... empty. Soulless. Like yet another pixelated platformer or yet another survival with craft. Developers tried to attract as many players as they can, so they've just stuffed this game with everything, but ended up with just pile of garbage. Arcade shooter, mixed with mario brothers jumping, with mobile games grinding, points, bonuses, etc, with moba silly skins, and flavored it with hellish surroundings. Level design is mediocre, invisible walls here and there, but not where they need to be, which was mitigated by respawning. Constant mix of level styles is eye-poping, decorations and decals have no logic whatsoever, seems more like levels was randomly generated from presets. Once you finished yet another battle and stopped for a second, you realize that you feel almost zero immersion. This game is ok if you want to strain your spinal reflexes for hour or two after work, but nothing more. I've recently played Black Mesa and sometimes I forgot to eat and I underslept for three days - this is how good game should be played. Expand
  50. Mar 23, 2020
    TL;DR = Too many projectile enemies, too many unreliable/random elements, platforming that detracts from the main experience and a landscape I couldn't connect with or care about - compared to the excellence of 2016 that is.

I didn't enjoy this as much as the first game. It's slick and has the good gunplay that you'd expect from id Software but it's all a bit off compared to Doom 2016 on the hardest difficulty.

They've doubled down on glory kills and added a slew off other gadgets that mean you have to constantly run, gathering ammo, armour and health. Everything you need to survive has to be gathered, apart from the usual pickups that are strewn around the arenas.

This mostly works and makes for a real frenzy but there are a number of issues that damage the experience.

1: Stopping to kill minor minions feels petty and gets in the way of the flow. You know they're fodder and they disrupt the cadence of you trying to kill the more staple enemies, the ones which 'count'.

2: There are a lot more minor enemies in the big encounters, presumably because you need them to gather items as mentioned above. However, so many of them are ranged that they can easily fill the map with projectiles in a way that makes some of the damage you take feel random, even though you're constantly moving and dashing.

3: Compounding this is that you can take damage immediately after the glory-kill animation finishes, even if you're spamming dash during the pause in gameplay. You can often lose most or even all the health you gain and it's out of your control. Feels off and not as satisfying as 2016, where you often knew what you had done wrong.

4: Platforming bits are mainly mediocre and can sometimes lead to annoying loss of armour or health before a big battle.

5: The landscapes have mostly abandoned any real feel of realism so it all feels a bit fantastical and unrelatable. I preferred it when The Doom-Slayer was moving through more believable environments, even if they were sci-fi. This feels like a group of unrelated areas made to be a playground for the arena battles, like Unreal tournament.

Apart from these criticisms and dislikes everything is good and I do like the active resource gathering they have introduced. A 7.5-7.8 is closer to what I would give.

I think my ideal Doom would be a cross between Doom 3 (atmosphere, environment and story), Doom 2016 (combat and glory kills), leaning more towards the latter, and then add the extra combat elements of amour, health and ammo gathering that Eternal brings.
  51. Mar 24, 2020
    Sometimes it’s better to have a game that only just meets expectations, gets average reception, doesn’t set the world on fire but mildly singes it, that way you are not expected to exceed even that with your next game. Take Doom, the 2016 version, being the first iteration in well over 12 years, and already one version, one horrible, uninspired, carbon copy of Resistance version meeting aSometimes it’s better to have a game that only just meets expectations, gets average reception, doesn’t set the world on fire but mildly singes it, that way you are not expected to exceed even that with your next game. Take Doom, the 2016 version, being the first iteration in well over 12 years, and already one version, one horrible, uninspired, carbon copy of Resistance version meeting a bloody chainsaw in the backroom, the series already had high expectations with the original titles being the trailblazers they are and recent Mods like Brutal Doom

But, let’s get back to the future expectations here, obviously, after DOOM 16 became such a big hit, winning awards from all publications, there were obvious expectations to top themselves with the sequel, more weapons, more glory kills, ballsier enemies, essentially making the whole game Bigger, and Better.

Well…..they got the Bigger part down

Booting up DOOM Eternal for the first time, my excitement and anticipation soon turned into confusion, into frustration and finally boredom. It seems that in an attempt to make a Bigger sequel in DOOM Eternal, the guys at ID threw everything at the wall and hope to god it stuck and well, I may want to recommend less fat in their diet because a lot sure did stick.

It actually starts off on a positive note, throwing out the pitiful pistol and starting you off with a shotgun and chainsaw, the chainsaw even has a regenerating single gas tank so you aren't scouring the map for them again, but soon enough things start to fall apart.

One of DOOM’s weaker areas has always been narration, it was never a priority during the more halcyon days of the internet, fearing a distraction from all the demon-slaying and bloodshed, the Doom story was tucked away in a tiny little corner where no one could find it, like, the original DOOM had a story, no really, I think it involved a pet bunny or some **** and does anyone even remember DOOM 3’s story? Did you collect all the PDA’s just to get every riveting moment of it, he said with sarcasm dripping from his fangs. The best example of DOOM’s approach to narration was the number of times Doom Slayer showed he really did not give a **** about it in DOOM 2016, pushing monitors away, stomping at energy cells and doing everything except giving Samuel Hayden the middle finger.

DOOM Eternal, on the other hand, proceeds to cram more narrative than anyone ever wanted or needed, I mean, previous DOOMs did have a story for people who wanted it badly enough, if you looked hard enough. But this time, we are introduced to so many characters and diety’s that mean absolutely nothing, at one point DOOMSlayer even bows to one, so we go from an unstoppable killing machine to this?

What’s worse is that some enemies require strategies to take them out, waiting for the right time, their eyes flashing green or some **** like that and it honestly frustrates me, with DOOM 2016, he was an unstoppable force, punching through anything everything he deemed fit, now he can barely get past a shield while Orange Ghost Dogs bite his face and the BFG barely tickles, oh and if he wasn't already there, I’d tell the Arch-Ville to go to hell, demon summoning, bullet soaking prick that he is.

Which brings me to the Weapons, all the standards are there, Shotgun, Super Shotgun, Shotgun 64, Pulse Rifle, Chain Gun, but they have seemingly added more additional weapons and attachments, adding a missile launcher in both hot and cold, and while you need Glory Kills to get health, chainsawing is really the only way to getting a vast quantity of ammo and then use the flamethrower to get more shield and then, of course, there’s Hell Punch and when you are not fumbling with your controller trying to figure out which weapon to use in the heat of the battle. You are plummeting to your death in one of the games many, MANY platforming sections, with a double jump and air dash in place, DoomSlayer spends countless parts of each level, clinging onto walls, dashing in mid-air, and missing floating platforms which just make the gameplay more like a Metroid Prime than a Doom.

Look, I’m not happy saying all this, Doom Eternal had been on the top of my hype list for months, I had spent all that time absorbing the Animal Crossing meets Doom posts like a god damn memewhore, this WAS my game for 2020 and I am absolutely heartbroken that I didn’t enjoy it more, look I will give it credit, the game at least looks bloody amazing at least, but in an attempt to go harder than before, the guys over at iD went way too overboard, in the end, this has been the most disappointed in a game I have felt in years, with one simple reason.

It should have been better
  52. Mar 30, 2020
    Man **** this game... doom 2016 is aeons ahead of this. Arcade was so great.
    Sure is hard as hell on nightmare which is nice, but sometimes it gets annoying.
  53. Mar 30, 2020
    Simply incredible!

After the first few years minutes I just didn't feel it. Something was wrong. Felt slow, boring. Tutorial pop ups all the time... Maybe if I were id Software , I would give the tutor role to Vega. Disappointing. It really felt different. I decided to increase difficulty to nightmare. Big change of pace enemies damage more, they are faster and more aggressive.
    Simply incredible!

Disappointing. It really felt different.
    I decided to increase difficulty to nightmare.

Big change of pace enemies damage more, they are faster and more aggressive. They are slightly tougher, has more HP, but I don't find them bullet sponges.
    Dashing mechanics added a new meaning of fast. The gameplay is super high paced, and a few mistakes can be near fatal. I almost always found the way to recover, glory kills give HP, chainsaw gives ammo which is more limited than before so you'll chainsaw a lot. The game gives the chainsaw at the beginning. Have fun with it!
    There are other things to manage and yes, health, armor, chainsaw, ammo management are more crucial than in DOOM 2016. Some might haze this, but I found it good, adds to the excitement, as you'll need to hunt for resources while killing the demons. There are so many close to death moments. So much fun! Or is it? Well on Nightmare it's super fun but the game is so realistic you will feel like Doom Slayer full of rage like you want to destroy your keyboard or throw away your mouse after retrying the same section again and again. Checkpoints are really fair thankfully.

I like the setting of DOOM Eternal a lot. It's a lot more varied, And the attention to details are insane! Eye candy everywhere. The scenery is fantastic, breathtaking and sometimes disgusting, crazy. You take a screenshot at many points and you basically get a fantastic metal album cover! Glory kills, damage on the demons are improved.

Weapons are cool, plazma is finally useful, BFG is now a normal weapon, weapon mods are great and all of them are situational, they don't become obsolete.

Mick Gordon did a fantastic job with the soundtrack tough I liked 2026's soundtrack more. However the heavy metal choirs are good as hell!

Story is good, but if you don't care about it, it fine. You'll still be able to enjoy the game.

Worth noting the optimization too. It's incredible, many game developers should learn from it! I have butter smooth 60 fps on my RX 570 on high settings that already looks nice but dynamic resolution scaling kicks in a lot to maintain the performance. Loading times are shorter, levels are huge!

Eternal is a step up from the earlier game. More complex yet fast paced with some space to breath between big fights. If you don't mind the resource management in this game, you'll love it!
  54. Mar 29, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can only really complain about... 3 aspects of the game. Everything else, brilliant, even as I was being stupid about a "puzzle".

1st aspect of the game, I didn't really enjoy the 5 purple goo portions. Everywhere else you're free to run about as fast as you'd like. It just felt like an arbitrary addition to the game, but as it was only a handful of sections, it's okay. Just... It didn't feel right.

2nd aspect, the Kahn Maykr fight was... not as epic as it should've felt. The arena's getting flooded with fire and enemies are shooting at you, and that's fine, but the music falls short. It's intense, but it's action horror intense rather than the bloodpumping music that plays during combat encounters. I guess it applies to the final boss as well, but it fitted more there.

3rd aspect... Marauders... Hot damn, those **** are unnecessarily tough. Getting too close and you get a face full of shotgun. Getting too far away and you get a face full of axe. Shooting them leads to your shots ricocheting off their shield, and they have a spectral dog that has a wonky hit animation that somehow manages to bite me in the ass 9/10 times. They have what feels like 2 seconds of opportunity where you can get some damage in, but doing not enough damage means it's back to dodging and weaving. Getting a Glory Kill on these bastardised demons FEELS great, though, and those Glory Kills make you feel like you're in the mind of the Slayer himself.

For some reason people are complaining about short ammo capacity. You get a Chainsaw before you burn through your starting 16 shotgun shells, and it's on recharge, meaning it's always there when you need it to fill your ammo reserves. If you somehow manage to run out of ammo before getting the Chainsaw and not being able to progress because of it... Please tell me how you managed that.
  55. Mar 27, 2020
    Aright so imagine DOOM 2016 but they added fun platforming to give you a break from the constant action, more strategy that requires you use every weapon for specefic enemies so that your mind is never bored of just using the same gun all the time, Imagine a bigger world filled with even more lore for the DOOM franchise and a longer campaign that will be around 22 hours long.

You really

You really cant go wrong here this is personally the best fps ive played in a very long time I would without a doubt give this game a 9.5/10
  56. Mar 29, 2020
    I'm actually really suprised that the score is only 7.7. In my opinion this game is an improvement over the 2016 version in every single way except the music but I can't really fault them for that, you can't really beat perfection. The only reason I'm giving it a 9 is because I had to replay 3 missions since the slayer gate keys didin't spawn for me because I had cheat mode on. Turns outI'm actually really suprised that the score is only 7.7. In my opinion this game is an improvement over the 2016 version in every single way except the music but I can't really fault them for that, you can't really beat perfection. The only reason I'm giving it a 9 is because I had to replay 3 missions since the slayer gate keys didin't spawn for me because I had cheat mode on. Turns out despite not giving you the cheats on your first playthrough it prevents the keys from spawning anyways. Just an oversight but annoying one since I was going for full completion. Alright for the negative reviews:
    Some people compain about not having enough ammo which is true only in the beginning. After 2 upgrades you really don't have to worry about it all that much. Some say that the game is for kids because of the platforming which im not even gonna comment. Some other complain that the game might be overcomplicated which I can see being true but if you embrace the intention of the developers and try to learn all theese mechanics the game is actually amazingly fun, more so than Doom 2016. There is nothing intrusive there is nothing tedious about this game, the platforming surprisingly doesn't feel out of place, even the story is out of your way if you dont wanna listen to it. You can skip cutscene and you can ignore all the codex entires if you wish to do so. You are not locked in a room and forced to listen to Hayden for 10 mins inlike Doom 2016 despite the story being expanded. It took me 3 days to 100% the campaign on ultra-violence and I enjoyed every single bit of it. Sure you can find ways to fault the game if you want to be the grumpy old men screaming: "New bad old good" but if you decide to embrace the mechanics you'd find that the game succeeds in the most important thing in a video game - fun.
  57. Mar 29, 2020
    The game is pretty good but also dissapointing but still not that bad. It has issues and everything has already been said like ammo capacity, weak points, some enemies and boss fights. Also the platforming isnt as bad as other people say its just unnecessary and boring but it take like 1 minute and its the easiest platforming ever so you dont even know its there.
  58. Mar 27, 2020
    Amazing game. Combat feels more fluid than every and the glory kills are even more satisfying than before. I also really appreciate the story in the game that other doom games lacked besides entries and title screens
  59. Mar 29, 2020
    This game is awesome! One thing that kind of bothered me was the *weapon presentation*. When you first come across another weapon, it is just floating, while in Doom 2016, it was presented to you very well. For example, the combat shotgun in Doom 2016, when you come across it, you see it in a soldier's hands, while in Doom Eternal, you see it floating. It ruins the _imersion_. But The gameThis game is awesome! One thing that kind of bothered me was the *weapon presentation*. When you first come across another weapon, it is just floating, while in Doom 2016, it was presented to you very well. For example, the combat shotgun in Doom 2016, when you come across it, you see it in a soldier's hands, while in Doom Eternal, you see it floating. It ruins the _imersion_. But The game compensates this with the *platforming*, *music*, *gore*, *gunplay*, *story*, *visuals*, *level design*, and *upgrade system*. This, for me, it set an example of contemporary fps games, just like Doom 2016, but improved almost every feature of it. If you value this genre, this title is essential. Another upgrade is the *game size*. It went from almost _70 GB_ of space to _40GB_, which made it effortless and quicker to download, and also saved me a *lot* of SSD space. It is, overall one of the finest fps games of 2020 for me. I highly recommend it to anyone who wishes a challenging, yet fun, video game! Expand
  60. Mar 29, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game was fantastic, however I felt that compared to Doom (2016) there were less glory kills while the berserker power up is active. The campaign was incredible, the Fortress of Doom was a great place to view your collection. Ammo runs out too quickly until you get to the third stage of the sentinel crystal upgrades, recharging chainsaw ammo was a cool feature. The Battlemode was a bit underwhelming, however it was a huge step up from Doom (2016)'s multiplayer. Expand
  61. Mar 29, 2020
    Truly one of my favorite games of all time. This is the standard all other modern games should be held to. If you are considering buying Doom Eternal, just do it. You will not regret it, it is exhilarating and challenging but so much fun, and these developers truly deserve our support, especially with how rotten the video game industry has become nowadays.
  62. Mar 29, 2020
    I can easily say that Doom Eternal is the best first-person shooter I have ever played, surpassing the previous best; Doom 2016. After years of waiting for Eternal, I had pre-ordered it for my PS4, but couldn't wait any longer and impulsively bought it for PC on March 19 and played it until 5 in the morning. The whole game feels like the trailers, with the amazing visuals making you feelI can easily say that Doom Eternal is the best first-person shooter I have ever played, surpassing the previous best; Doom 2016. After years of waiting for Eternal, I had pre-ordered it for my PS4, but couldn't wait any longer and impulsively bought it for PC on March 19 and played it until 5 in the morning. The whole game feels like the trailers, with the amazing visuals making you feel like the Doomslayer, also known as the biggest badass of videogame history, and complemented by that killer soundtrack, it really makes Doom Eternal one of the best videogame experiences of all time. I love this game so freaking much and so should you. Expand
  63. Mar 30, 2020
    A all out improvment to 2016s doom. They delivert waht they told they would, which is sadly rare nowerdays.
  64. Mar 30, 2020
    This game is one of the best fps of the last years. The shooting feels good and it's fast, at higher difficulties becomes really challenging and requires you to think and manage your resources. The story is good and not overly complicated.
    I would have given a 10 if not for the marauders that ruin the pacing of the game.
  65. Mar 30, 2020
    The game isn't what I expexted it is far better then anything I expected It always keeps fresh because the devs add masterlevels wich are remakes of the the levels you played in the game but always with a harder difficulty level. The story is also in th right amount it is the right amount so that it won't disturb you
  66. Mar 24, 2020
    I'm not sure what this is, but it certainly is not Doom. There is so much gimicky AAA-game garbage in this thing I don't even know where to begin. The fights feel like they are not about shooting and dodging, it's about quick time eventing your way through and using the weapons that you are supposed to use instead of finding your own strategy. Doom 2016 was something different from theI'm not sure what this is, but it certainly is not Doom. There is so much gimicky AAA-game garbage in this thing I don't even know where to begin. The fights feel like they are not about shooting and dodging, it's about quick time eventing your way through and using the weapons that you are supposed to use instead of finding your own strategy. Doom 2016 was something different from the original Doom formula, but it still was a good and entertaining game. The last stages of this game are soooo boring and you are so over the whole thing by the time you get there it's not even funny. I can't remember the last time I played a game this repetitive and uninspired.

Instead of the near future-aesthetic of Doom 2016, we are now suddenly in some sort of Warhammer 40K-universe with knights and castles... Where did this come from? John Carmack said stories in games are pointless, but here we are dealt this clichéd and tripe garbage of ancient demons and artifacts, who gives a **** about this except a 13-year old who still will just play Fortnite anyway?

I guess the worst part is that I've never felt this old when playing a game before. I feel as ancient as the Khan Maykr, and my torment when playing through this was worse than being in hell. This is what we get now. Doom was about using your wits and dodging the enemies. Now you have to push the R to make Doomguy flamethrower the demons and then kiill them so you get the armor shards.
  67. Mar 24, 2020
    sadly, there are multiple issues that prevent this game from being as good as it should be and prevent it from being as enjoyable as Doom 2016.
    1. Combat sequences are over too quickly. You either die in an instant or you kill all the enemies in an instant. They feel more like a flash in a pan than an epic knock out drag out fight.
    2. The platforming and environmental puzzles were not
    2. The platforming and environmental puzzles were not fun and added nothing to the experience.
    3. The Marauder is like a monkey wrench thrown in to the normal combat flow, but not in a good way. In a boring uninteresting way. Essentially putting the game on pause until you deal with it. This thing was a very bad idea.
    4. Lack of boss fights, and easy uninteresting boss fights. Some of the boss fights in this game were the easiest part of the game. I was expecting some epic battles, but instead I get another flash in the pan.
    5. The story is too hyperbolic and way too mellow-dramatic. In 2016 they understood the point of the story and made it fun and simple. In Eternal they made the story too serious and it wasn't interesting enough to warrant that. Ultimately the story was missing anything that would grab or engage your mind in any way.

I would say those are the main issues with the game for me. I hope ID finds their roots again and does better next time.
  68. Mar 22, 2020
    *Negatives*
    Bad cutscenes
    Uninteresting story developments Lazy clutter of useless collectibles most right in your face Endless horde modes at locked doors with no variation Bullet sponge the game Extremely limited enemy types to an embarrassing amount if you played Doom 2016 Tedious simplistic platforming sections galore Most of the game is below par level design Overly detailed
    *Negatives*
    Bad cutscenes
    Uninteresting story developments
    Lazy clutter of useless collectibles most right in your face
    Endless horde modes at locked doors with no variation
    Bullet sponge the game
    Extremely limited enemy types to an embarrassing amount if you played Doom 2016
    Tedious simplistic platforming sections galore
    Most of the game is below par level design
    Overly detailed map destroys all feeling of exploration
    Extremely basic shooting and never stop running gameplay that has 0 variation
    Glory kill qtes every 5 seconds for 14+ hours straight
    Music feels like it has a complete lack of variety
    Far more dangerous than the demons is the 00 on your ammo counter

*Positives*
    Extremely technically accomplished discounting the PC HDR map bug
    High smooth framerates
    Great graphics
  69. Mar 21, 2020
    Good, but actually worse than the previous version. Too many fiddly controls, and genuinely appalling platform run and jump bits come close to ruining the game entirely. It's still great fun when it remembers what it's supposed to be.
  70. Mar 25, 2020
    Bethesda forgot how to make good games. They killed last good IP that they had. This game it is not Doom, this is Mario with MK brutality. Absurdly annoying gameplay!
  71. Mar 26, 2020
    It controls like a dog, the menu is a mess, there is no consistency in what you can attack with the chainsaw, the level design is needlessly complex way too early, it has no style, no charisma, no consistency, it is truly awful.

I wrote a much longer in depth review but I'm afraid metacritic chewed it up and spat it out with an error 500. so please accept my lack of effort, I'm tired.

also, do not even pirate this. it was so badly made that the DRM wasn't put in so you can easily pirate it, but honestly, it's not even worth the effort.
  72. Mar 25, 2020
    PROS
    -shooting and movement is very satisfying
    -weapon diversity and all of the weapons are useful
    -enemy diversity and cool enemy design
    -really smart enemy AI
    -interesting level design
    -great sound design and soundtrack
    -no issues running the fane smoothly

CONS
    -probably too challenging for a casual gamer
    -platforming sections can become annoying
  73. Mar 28, 2020
    Definitely a must play. I haven't enjoyed a campaign like this since Halo. It's one of those games that seems like it would get repetitive but it finds ways to keep you engaged and entertained. I like that it's not all brainless kills and that you actually have to put thought into what weapons you use and how you manage to reach the various objective points. This is already a seriousDefinitely a must play. I haven't enjoyed a campaign like this since Halo. It's one of those games that seems like it would get repetitive but it finds ways to keep you engaged and entertained. I like that it's not all brainless kills and that you actually have to put thought into what weapons you use and how you manage to reach the various objective points. This is already a serious contender for shooter of the year for me (and possibly one of the best of all time), and looks to be the peak of the Doom series. Expand
  74. Mar 25, 2020
    To be honest, the game is not bad, not so often we are not pleased with a 100% online game + shooter, but I understand it and the critics don’t even feel like DOOM 2016 is a fan fiction by DOOM. You feel that in these corridors no one ever lived, they did it specially so that the executioner would kill everyone there, and this skill is felt throughout the game of strange guards with coins,To be honest, the game is not bad, not so often we are not pleased with a 100% online game + shooter, but I understand it and the critics don’t even feel like DOOM 2016 is a fan fiction by DOOM. You feel that in these corridors no one ever lived, they did it specially so that the executioner would kill everyone there, and this skill is felt throughout the game of strange guards with coins, in that the technologies of the guards do something on earth, although where it would seem to be there, the artificiality of the levels also knocks out of the atmosphere instantly.
    The congestion of the interface, the Bethesda compass that they insert into each game, a strange pumping system terribly reminiscent of mobile projects. The game is not bad, but if you like to shoot or suffer at high difficulties, then you will like it three times.
  75. Mar 29, 2020
    Coming from someone who played DOOM and DOOM II back in the day, this game is a goddamned masterpiece. Tons of misinformation in the negative reviews which I will clear up:

- Low ammo is not an issue because you have the ability to replenish ammo at *any time* using a weapon you get at the very start: the chainsaw. If you want to carry more ammo in general, you can double your reserves by putting points into the ammo stat via Sentinel Crystals. If you are out of or low on ammo, it is your own fault.

- Platforming is tight, easy to understand, and an absolute blast. It controls extremely well and doesn’t even punish you with death if you fall off of a ledge. It adds a lot to your mobility that makes combat encounters far more interesting. It also prevents the game from being a one-dimensional arena shooter.

- Combat does require quick reflexes and strategy. Just like in the original games, you have to keep moving. The game is extremely clear about this. If you merely pay an ounce of attention to the tutorials peppered throughout, you will quickly master the combat dance and learn which tool is right for each job. You cannot use the same 1 or 2 guns, and that’s on purpose. You couldn’t do that in the original DOOM games either so what did you expect?

- Some complain that the game is too colorful. These people seemingly haven’t played the originals which were loaded with bright blues, reds, and greens. The environments are still gore-ey when they want to be, but I don’t personally see the harm in making levels distinct with more than just one single hellish theme.

- There is far more of a narrative this time than in Doom 2016, but it is delightfully fascinating and makes the journey exponentially more epic. If you really really hate stories, all cutscenes are skippable.

So anyways, ignore the naysayers and embrace this game. It is easily the best FPS in the last decade and you’d be sorely missing out by not playing it.
  76. Mar 25, 2020
    A truly incredible experience. I was truly blown away by this game, the game keeps you on your feet constantly throwing different demons at you. Each demon has their own weak points and you have to master getting ammo, armor and health from each demon. There’s never a dull moment in the game. The weapon upgrades are incredible and let you shred through demons with each upgrades.TheA truly incredible experience. I was truly blown away by this game, the game keeps you on your feet constantly throwing different demons at you. Each demon has their own weak points and you have to master getting ammo, armor and health from each demon. There’s never a dull moment in the game. The weapon upgrades are incredible and let you shred through demons with each upgrades.The environments are incredible and make doom 2016 look bland and boring. Throughout the levels there are several collectibles that allow you to access them in your base and look at things like character models, or they let you listen to music from past Bethesda games. The game actually has a cohesive story and there’s tons of lore in the game. Overall this game is a 10/10, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good fps. Expand
  77. Mar 28, 2020
    Great game, but honestly I liked 2016 more.
    While the combat is better, harder and more complex, the level design is worse.
    Honestly I didn't mind the jumping sections, but because of them the level design is far more linear and half of the secrets are so easy to find. In 2016 you had 13 levels and in 12 of them were challenges. In Eternal there are also 13 levels, but only 9 have
    Great game, but honestly I liked 2016 more.
    While the combat is better, harder and more complex, the level design is worse.
    In 2016 you had 13 levels and in 12 of them were challenges. In Eternal there are also 13 levels, but only 9 have challenges. The levels here are longer, which is both good and bad thing. On one hand you have more content, but on the other I felt it should have been 2 levels shorter, because it started to get really repetitive.
    The bosses are great, except Marauder. Screw him.
    I didn't play multiplayer cause i don't play multiplayer games, but its kinda shame that there isn't snapmap mode.

8,5/10
  78. Mar 21, 2020
    So, after all the hype we get a below average generic bloatware shooter with a serious crisis of identity thrown in.

How did they get it so wrong? Ofc they probably made a killing in terms of money (so maybe they didn't get it wrong) but the game is terrible, I'm sorry. It's hard to explain what exactly is wrong because there are just so many areas that feel off. No disrespect to

It's hard to explain what exactly is wrong because there are just so many areas that feel off. No disrespect to the creators and developers, I'm sure they put a lot of work into this game but I'm afraid it has the feel of a basement bin weekend Steam offer where I pay 5 dollars to install and then uninstall a dodgy FPS.

Nutshell?

- Gunplay: Generic and actually counterintuitive. Nothing feels consistent, ffs even thinking about it frustrates me. Pity I can't uninstall what's in my head! Gun progression should be punchy and satisfying from the get go. In Doom Eternal, start with shotgun and it's meh, switch to chain gun and it's meh and tbh I don't even know or care what the difference is in terms of damage because it all just feels meh. I don't have any affiliation to the weapons I'm picking up. It all feels the same - the weapons lacks any real identity, this stuff is supposed to be at the core of Doom. When playing it's just stop, start, stop, start, pop, melee, pop, pop, melee, pop, pop -- look around and everything is still alive/little happens, I want to turn it off already, feels like a chore!

- Map design: it's like Resident Evil 1 meets Parkour only you can't parkour and 99% of the explorable areas are protected by invisible walls, yuck!

- Actio ….

...nah sorry cba the game is just poor. Given the build-up, the hype, the people/company behind it, and the price and we get this bloated travesty? Utterly shocking.

79. Mar 24, 2020
    The game is great but it is not the best Doom.
    First, it's frantic, the graphics are awesome, the scenarios are awesome, the soundtrack is awesome. There is a lot of lore and stuff.
    The game is great but it is not the best Doom.

However, it is also a 3d platform game (some people are calling DOOMARIO), an fps that it is also a platform game. What could possibly go wrong? Simple: The control is horrible for some moves. This game is aimed to be played with a joypad, but it is also a fps (so you want to play with a keyboard and mouse), so it is nonsense. For example, to jump and press the shift key to speed, it is really awkward without a joypad.

Moves that you could do with Doom:
    - Jump
    - Double Jump (yes, I am not kidding)
    - Wall grab
    - Sprint
    - Double Spring
    - And all the combinations.

At least we are free of wall-jump but it was lava (like Mario 64) and if you fall into it, then it acts exactly like Mario.

I really enjoyed Jedi Fallen Orden as a platform-action game but it is not an fps game, while Doom is a FPS game.

Also, this game forces you to run out of ammo every time, your main gun has only around 18 bullets max! and you need 1-2 bullets per enemy. You could get more ammo with the chaingun but sheesh, you must do it regularly. If you are a trigger-happy game then this game is not for you.

I enjoy more watching on youtube than playing it.
  80. Mar 28, 2020
    This game represents the beginning of a new era of the FPS genre.

The negative reviews are very funny to read, 90% of them are from people who don't know how to jump and dash. There are no 'platforming puzzles', you just need to have a functional brain in order to progress. Buy this game if you think killing demons while metal music plays in the background would be fun for you. Don't
    This game represents the beginning of a new era of the FPS genre.

Buy this game if you think killing demons while metal music plays in the background would be fun for you. Don't buy this if you don't know how to play a video game.
  81. Mar 21, 2020
    DOOM 2016 was brilliant. Eternal is even more brilliant. However, it is different to 2016. The combat loop is much richer and way more engaging, but the player must embrace it and learn how to do the resource management dance. Once you achieve that, Eternal's combat is simply the most amazing gameplay I have ever experienced in a shooter. Bar none.

There are way too many people bashing

There are way too many people bashing this game while clearly not understanding its systems. Ammo isn't scarce, you just need to understand how to get it. More than ever before, the game forces you to commit to push forward combat and see your enemies as your main source of resources. If you want to beat the game using 2 or 3 different guns while barely adapting or thinking, like you could in 2016... Well, this is not the game for you.

The combat loop is simply brilliant, and it becomes second nature after just a few hours. Everything else is insanely polished. Yes, the game is more arcade looking than 2016. They made a conscious decision to make it as "videogamey" as possible, and some people will dislike that. However, I just love the way that this game focuses entirely on one single thing above all others: FUN.

The platforming can be slightly inconsistent at times, but don't let anyone tell you that there's too much of it. There is just enough to get a small break from the immense sensory overload that is the combat (of which there is obviously plenty). Same goes for the few puzzles here and there. The levels are big and gorgeous, and exploration is even more rewarding than in 2016.

I sincerely believe this game makes 2016 look like a sluggish, slow, one-dimensional shooter in comparison. And I LOVED 2016. It bothers me that so many people seem to be so angry about change that they aren't willing to do what Hugo Martin and the other guys at Id are encouraging them to do. I feel bad for them, because they are really missing out. This is the best FPS combat I have played in my entire life, and I had to leave a review to try and fight all the nonsense in here.

If you like shooters even a little bit, you owe it to yourself to play this. That is all.
  82. Mar 21, 2020
    This game gives you and absolute adrenaline burst, gameplay is frenetic, fast and even more visceral than previous DOOM, there are changes on how you progress through the game that reminds me more to the Shadow Warrior remake back in 2013 (which was superb) than any other game of the DOOM franchise, for some people is bad for me is fine.

There a plenty of upgrades you can do, very

There a plenty of upgrades you can do, very similar to DOOM 2016 but with some minor additions.

This game is a blast and totally worth it if you like blood, gore, fast paced shooting and to be out of ammo 45% of your time.
  83. Mar 22, 2020
    Бустить в Doom'е сложность не за счет количества мобов, а за счет количества патронов - самая тупая идея, которая могла прийти id Software, когда они составляли геймдизайн Doom Eternal.

Игра преображается только где-то во второй половине, когда открываются все моды на увеличенный боекомплект. Начало и середина игры - унылый кал, в такой "хардкор" неинтересно играть. Чтобы не дропнуть к хyйяm игру, я скинул сложность до "Hurt me plenty", и только уровне на 6 вернул "Ultra-Violence".

Уровни - это опять арены. Очень хотелось, чтобы дизайн уровней был составлен наподобие классических частей, где мобы утыканы по всему уровню-лабиринту и спавнятся в ключевых местах, но увы.

Какие-то невероятные нагромождения всяких прокачек и испытаний, искусственно удлиняющих игру. Хотя, стоит отметить, некоторые испытания с ключами реально кайфовые на "Ultra-Violence".

Но самое отвратительное - исчезающие трупы. Разве сложно было сделать это хотя бы опциональным?

p.s: обзорщики - купленные mpази, все пищат, что это "тот самый дум" и не делают акцента даже на том, что им не понравилось, упоминают только вскользь (видимо, по техзаданию было сказано так делать, чтобы выглядело правдоподобно), палитесь пuздeц, товарищи
  84. Mar 22, 2020
    The absolute beauty of Doom is how simple it is, and yet complete. Doom Eternal loses sight of this basic tenet of the Doom experience. Everything Doom 2016 focused on throwing aside story and unnecessary extra and getting to the main course. (illustrated in an early animation of doomslayer throwing away the story queues by use of force) But Doom Eternal seems to go the exact oppositeThe absolute beauty of Doom is how simple it is, and yet complete. Doom Eternal loses sight of this basic tenet of the Doom experience. Everything Doom 2016 focused on throwing aside story and unnecessary extra and getting to the main course. (illustrated in an early animation of doomslayer throwing away the story queues by use of force) But Doom Eternal seems to go the exact opposite direction. It's like they got a group of teenagers together in a room and asked them what they wanted to see in Doom and they all asked for more complication and unnecessary story. It's not a bad game. But it's not pure. It's not joyous. It's a very modern shooter with all the complicated trapping that come with that. Expand
  85. Mar 25, 2020
    Combat is just not fun with the introduction of weak point, low ammo, constant use of chainsaw.

OST is nonexistent.

Tutorial at the beginning of the game feels a rush, too not-carefully made
  86. Mar 25, 2020
    Doom (2016) is quality over quantity, while Doom Eternal is the opposite.

First off, I will say that I played through the whole game on the Nightmare setting, just so people won't dismiss my review for not having played enough of the game (I'm at 45h as of now). While the single player campaign is pretty fun, a lot of it seems very out-of-place for a Doom game. I'm mostly talking
    Doom (2016) is quality over quantity, while Doom Eternal is the opposite.

While the single player campaign is pretty fun, a lot of it seems very out-of-place for a Doom game. I'm mostly talking about the various things included in the platforming sections. Some of the milestones are also not working, and the multiplayer has a lot of issues, plus there's only one mode, which is asymetric and has one slayer against two demons.

I'm also not a fan of this whole "season" thing where you need to earn enough XP during a specific time frame in order to unlock various aestethetical items such as weapon/slayer skins and multiplayer icons/titles.

Anyway, I would probably rate Doom Eternal 5 if the multiplayer got fixed, and they remedied the various other issues such as the milestones, and possibly slightly higher if they got rid of the "season" part and added a DM/TDM online mode.
  87. Mar 25, 2020
    I wanted to love this game I really did. Doom 2016 was one of the best first person shooters I've ever played and sits alongside the original Doom and Quake, so I was expecting big things for Doom Eternal. However what was delivered is honestly a mixed bag. (I played Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence)

The positives: -At times some of the most intense, fast paced FPS action delivered in

The positives:
    -At times some of the most intense, fast paced FPS action delivered in years.
    -Amazing visuals, level design, great sound design.
    -Some great homages to the original Doom games.
    -Glory kills.

The negatives:
    -The MARAUDERS. Easily the most frustrating and game breaking enemy I've ever had the displeasure of battling in a game. When you encounter one as a boss you think that's it but these guys later show up as regular enemies in the game. I have beaten Doom 2016 on Nightmare, Metro Exodus on Ranger Hardcore, Devil May Cry on Dante Must Die mode and none compare to the sheer frustration of encountering a Marauder on Doom Eternal. A Marauder makes almost every weapon in your arsenal almost useless and he can block a BFG blast. That's right. A NORMAL non-Boss enemy in a Doom game making the mother of all guns the BFG useless. Expect to die at least 10 times plus whenever one of these Marauders shows up. Expect to have your progress halted and the entire fast paced, fluid flow of Doom Slayer chaos reduced to a stall. The demons are supposed to fear the Doom Slayer yet I honestly end up fearing the Marauder for the frustration he is about to bring upon my game. That's NOT what Doom is supposed to be about. I replayed Doom 2016 several times, sadly I will not be replaying Doom Eternal, mainly because of these game breaking Marauders. Whoever thought the Marauder was a good idea was wrong. Easily the WORST enemy in a Doom game period. Fine for a boss, terrible for a regular enemy.

-Platforming. Is this an Doom game or a Crash Bandicoot game? At times it feels more like the latter with multiple platforming sections which again slow the game to a stall, become frustrating and involve no demon killing. I want to shoot demons not swing on poles and climb walls. I wanted a First Person Shooter not a platformer. Some mild platforming is fine but Doom Eternal has too much.

In conclusion: A mixed bag. At times Doom Eternal feels like the best of Doom and Quake 3 mashed together which is simply amazing yet it is too punctuated with enthusiasm killing enemies (MARAUDER) and platforming sections for Doom Eternal to rise to the top and reach first person shooter nirvana. Don't believe all the paid critic hype. Play for yourself and see.
  88. Mar 22, 2020
    Really good! one of the best FPS games out there atm. Focuses on so many good things that are Doom related and with a bit of Quake stuff as well. Also a good focus on the story for those that care about the lore. The weapons feels absolutely Awesome, the game itself feels good overall.

Cons? Maybe to many platforms to jump on? miss a few gun effects from the Doom 2016 game. There are not to many cons for this game.

The game delivers really well when it comes to what Doom is about, Gun down your enemies and have fun while doing it.

Easily a 9 out of 10.
  89. Mar 24, 2020
    Serious Sam is much cooler ! )
    Игра не интересная вообще, не цепляет никак, что Doom 2016, что этот Doom.
  90. Mar 21, 2020
    The best Doom I've ever played. Fast, brutal, energetic, testosterone, FUN! :3
  91. Mar 21, 2020
    i think its better than doom 2016. they are upgraded their game basicly better.
  92. Mar 21, 2020
    This is a **** AMAZING game wow, i am old gamer and fan of Doom since the first game in 1993, and u can tell you they did not disappoint again this time.

They kept all the core element of what Doom is and add more stuff and lore and all, WOW. Demons, portal, blood, lot’s of blood, gore, pentagram, metal music, everything is there with even more, lore, finally it is not just a get in the

Demons, portal, blood, lot’s of blood, gore, pentagram, metal music, everything is there with even more, lore, finally it is not just a get in the game kill amd jump out, little puzzle, it is like a Darksiders game which i loved but in a doom universe
    Even better.

Thanks ID software for this amazing game, finally Doom is more then what Carmack said, shotgun and demons.
  93. Mar 22, 2020
    PLEASE ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN. I feel like a lot of people either misunderstand this game or had unrealistic expectations. I found the game well balanced and intriguing. Doom Eternal expands on Doom 2016 in gameplay and story and does so in a way that adds new depth to the saga and ties in the history of the entire franchise very well.
    There is more map navigation, which was certainly in its
    There is more map navigation, which was certainly in its predecessor, but the incorporation of climbing and the use of the dash was a smooth yet challenging new way to give the levels a sense of greater scale, whereas in Doom 2016 the use of double jumping and climbing onto ledges kept the game maps tighter. This may have been the best choices for both games given their respective settings.
    The combat has been tweaked in such a way that it almost forces a player to use there entire arsenal, rather than just a few favorite weapons. This is done by giving the enemies weak point that can best be exploited by certain weapons with certain modifications. And the use of melee is a must in order to preserve ammo for when it is needed. No longer is the relentless "spray and pray" type of gameplay rewarded as much as it was in Doom 2016.
    With the evolved combat system and map navigation Doom Eternal requires more critical thinking that Doom 2016, which may tend to annoy some players. I can understand that. In the beginning I noticed that my style of play that I used for Doom 2016 didn't really work, and it continuously forced me to adapt.
    If I have to be critical I would say that the story, as it gradually unfolds, only really starts to make sense after the half way point. Until then I found myself asking, "Why am I here and doing all of this again? Why am I going after these hell priests? Where is all of this going? The developers seemed to make the story a bit more convoluted by trying to tie the game in with the original pc games of the 90s and Doom 64. I think the franchise would have been better off treating Doom 2016 as a completely fresh reboot, whereas Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal function as a reboot in graphics and gameplay only mirroring Doom and Doom 2, so it makes the whole thing seem a bit strange. Since they are both a reboot and sequels at the same time.
    Still, I just played the whole thing from start to finish and had a lot of fun. Which is ultimately the primary goal of any game.
  94. Mar 22, 2020
    Beautiful game design, very comfortable controls despite height fight intensity and enemies density. Artwork just like sound design - a masterpiece. Game of the year is here, I believe!
  95. Mar 21, 2020
    to make a resource for survival out of enemies is complete nonsense ... it’s exactly doomguy locked with demons, and not vice versa. well, platforming hammered the last nail to the coffin lid. it' not Doom, it's ****
  96. Mar 20, 2020
    I've never written a game review before in my entire life. This game deserves a 10/10, without question.
    It is everything i loved growing up in the 90s. It's a combination of Doom, Quake, 90s action movies, and saturday morning cartoons. All of this is performed to the best heavy metal sound track that has ever been composed.
    Put shortly, this is one of the best entertainment

Put shortly, this is one of the best entertainment experiences I've ever had in my life.
  97. Mar 21, 2020
    first time I played arround 3 hours before it pissed me off and uninstall it, but I gave it a second chance played around 2 more hours and entirely giving up I was so mad that I deleted my save to never touch this "thing" again.
    I'm really disappointed because I really enjoyed 2016 doom but this one is not fun at all, you always have to do the same boring loop glory kill => chainsaw to stay alive and have ammo because they decrease really fast and most of the time you die extremely quickly even in medium, and you have too much stuff to deal with like grenade launcher, flame thrower.
    They are too much upgrades in this game (Runes + mods + weapons points + armor points + Health/ammo/Armor, platform phases are really bad and the game design is not really good ( sometimes you looking for exits for minutes).
    It's clearly different from the fast Fps of 2016 and even if you liked doom 2016 you may not like this one, test are not enough I advise you to see some gameplay video to have make your own idea if you want to buy this game.
  98. Mar 20, 2020
    PROS:

- Best soundquality i have seen in a game for a while - The story is suprisingly well made - Animations look almost perfect. - A lot of secrets and bonus areas to find in the world - There is a high variety of well made enemies which all have their own behaviour and weakpoints - Finding skins ingame instead of buing them as overpriced microtransactions in the year
    PROS:

- Best soundquality i have seen in a game for a while

- The story is suprisingly well made

- Animations look almost perfect.

- A lot of secrets and bonus areas to find in the world

- Finding skins ingame instead of buing them as overpriced microtransactions in the year 2020 whut?

- Many new abilities and dank gadgets like shotgun-grappling hook, shoulder mounted grenade launcher, monkeybars, dash refill item, weaponmodifications and runes to upgrade your passive stats, which really enrich the gameplay and make the pacing a lot faster.

CONS:

Most bossfights are boring:

Selfexplanetory. There are a few good ones, but most of them are just way to easy and really not worth your time. Nothing compared to the epic hour long raid bosses in destiny 2. I know its kind of hard to make good boss fights in a single player first person shooter. It's not as easy as in third person games like the souls games, where you can better judge the distance of attacks.

But still they could have made them at least a little bit longer and more challenging.

To many tutorial levels at the beginning of the game:

The first 3 levels feel completely like tutorial levels, with a pacing very different to the rest of the game.Having one tutorial level is ok, but three after each other is kind of overkill. The real game begins at the 4th level.

You can't find your own playstyle:

You have to play the game 100 % as from the devs intended. It's completely build around the glory kill and chainsaw take town mechanics. Because that's how you get most of your health and ammo back.

If you don't like getting locked into takedown animations which you have to perform over and over again, 100th of times during the game, then you are out of luck.

Many normal weapons feel super weak, because they aren't supposed to kill the enemy demons, they are supposed to put them into a staggering state out of which you can then either chainsaw them for gaining ammo or glory kill them for gaining health.

Other shooter are 100% about aiming skill and quickscoping enemies with headshots. This game is rather 25% quickscoping weak points of enemies so that they lose their mounted weaponry and get less dangerous, 25 % prioritizing which enemy to quickscope next while a horde of smaller enemies is chasing after you, 25 % resource and cooldown management and 25 % performing glory kills and chainsaw moves.

They have build this whole resource and cooldown management minigame which you have to play and respect or you run out of ammo and health very quickly.This system can be very fun and rewarding, but only if you have no issue with doing the same takedown animations over and over for the entire game.

So if you really love finishing enemies off with headshots, then this is for sure not the right game for you. You can headshot the weaker demons with mostly 1 of the 2 sniper rifles in game, but they don't even give you a rewarding headshot sounds for that. And all the other demons are just way to tanky and even if you manage to shoot them into their staggering state, even then you can't finish them off with headshots, because they seem to have some super armor or invincibility frames during their staggering phase, because the game really really wants you to finish them mostly with the takedowns and nothing else.

I understand what they are trying to do with it and for the most part it pays of, but i really would have wished, they would at least have given you the option to either glory kill or headshot the demons for ammo during their stagger phase. So that the people who do not like doing so many takedown animations would have had an option.

Yes you can speed the animations up a little bit by equipping some rune which boosts your takedown speed, but even then the chainsaw animations still takes forever.

CONCLUTION:

The game is a solid 8/10 but could have been easily a 9/10 if they would have given you an option to play without that heavy use of takedown animations in a shooter and made the bosses more dank.

But still a very good game which is made with a lot of love and a good eye for detail and a desire for gameplay refinement. Publisher plz hire more devs like those here.
  99. Mar 22, 2020
    Simply amazing, best FPS I have ever played in years.
    Idk how but they managed to put a interesting story in DOOM, not to mention all the codex intros you get if you want to go deeper into the DOOM lore, and it's a pretty interesting one I gotta say.
    Simply amazing, best FPS I have ever played in years.

The gameplay stays similar to DOOM 2016 but it's improved, you now have a lot of other options to Rip and Tear, with the Grenade Launcher, The Ice Bomb, Flamethrower, The Crucible, Dashing also makes the gameplay way more energetic and fast paced.

Graphics are Outstanding, weapons have been re-made and all of them look better then in 2016 in my opinion, specially the Plasma Rifle, god I love that. The background area In some missions is simply out of this world, just look around on the very first mission " Hell on Earth "

Battlemode is ok, I'm afraid it might die in the future tho just like DOOM 2016 Deathmatch.

My only complain is that there is some unnecessary platforming that can be really annoying specially for a DOOM game.

( Of course people are going to downvote this review because they cant take different opinions )
  100. Mar 20, 2020
    First of all, let me say that this is a great game for a fast paced adrenaline shooter. You'll find many people crying that they didn't just copy and paste DOOM 2016 to this game. If you want the that version, go play that version. These are the same people who buy FIFA every year. With the new installment, they try to innovate where they can and make the game fast paced by limiting ammoFirst of all, let me say that this is a great game for a fast paced adrenaline shooter. You'll find many people crying that they didn't just copy and paste DOOM 2016 to this game. If you want the that version, go play that version. These are the same people who buy FIFA every year. With the new installment, they try to innovate where they can and make the game fast paced by limiting ammo and encouraging glory kills and the use of equipment. The platforming segments are easy and short (10 seconds of jumping) and people who complain about it probably couldn't finish world 1 on mario. It's crazy to see a good developer trying to make their game better than the last installment get criticized for making the game different. It's fun, the music is outstanding, the gunplay is smooth and great. The campaign is almost doubled in length and the graphics look good. Ammo is limited but the developers understand that and added many ways of increasing capacity and ways to get more ammo. I guess some people dont like chainsawing demons. Anyways, its a fantastic sequel filled with fun, adrenaline fueled moments. People who rate this negatively are just upset because the game didn't cater to their wants specifically instead of what the community wanted. Expand

Universal acclaim - based on 45 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 28, 2020
    Doom Eternal is a ludicrous, gory, pulse-pounding masterpiece.
  2. Mar 27, 2020
    Doom Eternal is a monster of a game, uncompromising and purposeful in its decision making. Crucial to its success is that it doesn't feel like it's trying to cater to everyone. Eternal can be unforgiving, and there will no doubt be those who bounce off its razor sharp edges. Yet by not watering itself down, Doom Eternal comes away with an incredible focus. This is a blazingly fast shooter that demands amazing feats of skill. Those willing to baptize themselves in the fire will walk away with the kind of satisfaction that few AAA games have the audacity to give.
  3. Mar 27, 2020
    When it comes to first-person shooters, Doom Eternal is one of those games that you can get lost in. The combination of graphics, story, and intense action is enough to keep you playing for hours, pushing for “one more try” after a demon inevitably eats your lunch. In a time when people are grasping for something to occupy their minds, Doom Eternal couldn’t have come at a better time.