6.8

1. May 22, 2018
    I have played all the good old snes title i liked back in the days with my snes classic mini. I searched for new games in that kind of style and stumbled across fox n forests. I like the gameplay a lot and the artstyle. You can tell the creators of that game had a really close eye on how "realistic" the look & feel should be, in terms of SNES games.
  2. May 29, 2018
    Fox n Forests
    Almost up there with shovel knight
    Fox n Forests is a 5 hour long action 2d platformer with light Metroidvania aspects Here you play as Rick the fox who is only interested in food and gold, but the season tree and patty the partridge need your help.. Theres a threat of a 5th season, so the season tree gives you a power to change seasons and go out and collect bark for new
    Fox n Forests
    Almost up there with shovel knight
    Theres a threat of a 5th season, so the season tree gives you a power to change seasons and go out and collect bark for new powers as you of course are their only hope
    The game consists of 4 different sections for each season, these 4 sections contain 2 platforming levels, 1 boss level and a bonus level that focuses on the5th season unlocked after collecting all 10 seeds hidden through out the 2 levels in each season
    for the most part this is a pretty stragith forward platformer, you collect coins and other collectables to unlocknew moves, upgrade your health, your mana, as well as unlock checkpoints in levels, as dying without activating a checkpoint starts you back to the beginning of a level as well as takes away everything you collected
    there are tons of enemies around which are more of a threat than any of the platforming ever comes close to posing, thankfully you have melee attacks as well as a bow.. and as you progress the game, defeat the seasons bosses youll unlock new magic arrows, which will give you access to areas in cleared levels, which is sortve the hook of the game..
    You cant just run to the end of a level, there is incentive to explore not only because certain upgrades need you to have a set number of a certain collectable found, but because after you defea the boss and gain a new magic arrow, youre given a goal of seeds to collect..
    so youll have to run back to levels you’ve clearned searching for these seeds.. most of which until late in the game, wont be accessable your first run through a level..
    The game is designed in a way to force the player to go back and play these levels multiple times..
    I normally have an issue with such a thing, but this game is so unique and fun to explore that I didn’t mind it here…
    The game shines in its moments of seasonal manipulation.. each area has two seasons you can swap between, freezing lakes or even evaporating them completelyy, exposing platforms in trees, making leaves fall for you to jump across
    I don’t feel the game took full advantage of this mechanic, but it helps in making the search for collectables that much more fun, swapping seasons and looking for new oppenings and possibilities..
    every level is full of hidden areas..
    my only complaint with this game really aside from not doing enough with the season changing enough is its bosses..
    theyre ridiculously easy…
    im not asking to be killed in one hit… but aside from the final boss, I never needed more than 2 tries…
    they have multiple stages, but they never change up enough to be anything other than just the first stage but now I have to dodge an additional attack.
    But the charm of this world and its addictive adventure aspects make this an easy recommendation for platforming fans.
    it truly is unique and worth picking up.
    I give Fox n Forests
    an 8/10
  3. May 17, 2018
    I really enjoy the game.
    It is a nice mix out of adventure and retro 16 bit felling :)
    Super fluent gameplay, not to easy and not to hard :D
    You should totally checkout this hidden gem from a small German Game Studio
  4. May 22, 2018
    As fan of Shovel Knight and Owlboy I can only recommend Fox N Forests. Only thing I do not like is that there are only offensive and no health potions. Tumbs up.
  5. May 22, 2018
    Superb 16bit retro feeling, fantastic art and gameplay!
    Love the character design and animations!
  6. May 22, 2018
    FnF is definitely a labour of love. The team invested a lot of time and effort in creating something that is as close to a lost SNES game as possible, while implementing modern features we would all expect. What you wouldn't expect is how well this little gem, developed in Munich, plays, sounds and feels. Being a bit on the shorter side I very much enjoyed almost every minute I spent withFnF is definitely a labour of love. The team invested a lot of time and effort in creating something that is as close to a lost SNES game as possible, while implementing modern features we would all expect. What you wouldn't expect is how well this little gem, developed in Munich, plays, sounds and feels. Being a bit on the shorter side I very much enjoyed almost every minute I spent with the fox. If you are up for nostalgic touch and games like Celeste or Owlboy are either too tough or too long for playing habits, give this one a well deserved play! Expand
  7. Dec 6, 2018
    Back tracking for collectables can be a little annoying later in the game, but it's an absolute steal for $10, and you'll get several hours of retro platforming enjoyment before you even get that far.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 7 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 19, 2018
    Fox n Forests isn’t for everyone – it feels more like a game development experiment that resulted in a nice bite-size nostalgia trip and was released just for fun. Those without 16-bit nostalgia, or an aversion to super weird fox/bird relationships, bad English, or puns, may not really enjoy it at all. Personally, I found it both charming and entertaining, but lacking in key game design areas, which I still guess was the point all along, ironically.
  2. Jul 16, 2018
    Fox N Forests isn't going to be an instant classic. The constant need for backtracking for little level deviation can sometimes turn the game into a slog, the restricted move set can be bewildering, and the finicky controls can be infuriating. The game nails the look and feel of an old 16-bit game quite well, while the platforming is solid and the boss fights are enjoyable. It's fun enough that retro fans should give it a chance.
  3. Jul 13, 2018
    FOX n FORESTS is a game with a few really great things going for it - including its charming story and mostly clever level design that puts its clever season-changing mechanic to good use. Unfortunately, a few aggressive flaws quickly sap the fun out of the entire experience, including forced backtracking; annoying one-hit-kill autoscrollers out of nowhere; and its overall short playtime. It's difficult to recommend the game overall, but it might be worth it for hardcore retro platformer fans.