7.4

1. Sep 2, 2018
    Adds nothing new to the first game, at least when playing as single player as I do. Nothing is really memorable and it gets boring quickly. Played to the end in about 12 hours but felt longer because I just wanted it to end. Did most challenges (i.e. getting chests), even if I hated how it only challenged twitching with the stupid controller button combinations - the result, sweaty handsAdds nothing new to the first game, at least when playing as single player as I do. Nothing is really memorable and it gets boring quickly. Played to the end in about 12 hours but felt longer because I just wanted it to end. Did most challenges (i.e. getting chests), even if I hated how it only challenged twitching with the stupid controller button combinations - the result, sweaty hands and possibly a damaged controller. Score is based on already having played the first game and thinking that was enough. Expand
  2. Jun 26, 2019
    Favorite Thing: The combat's (still) really fun.
    Least Favorite Thing: I *hate* the realm switching mechanic. They leaned on it way too heavy and it's no fun.

Date Completed: 2019-06-25
    Playtime: 10.5h
    Enjoyment: 5/10
    Recommendation: Stick with your pleasant memories of the first Guacamelee and forget about this one.
  3. Sep 30, 2019
    A fun time, no voice acting or any good story , characters are forgettable and the main villain is a bit of a let down, but the way you gain new mechanics throught kept me engaged enough to finish it, combat seems very basic at first but gradually gets more fleshed out and a lot more fun, overall an ok game with good gameplay

Generally favorable reviews - based on 10 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Jan 9, 2019
    The developers decided not to tamper with core gameplay and most of the additions they introduced feel forced and water down the experience instead of enhancing it. It’s a solid platformer but it failed to surpass the original Guacamelee! [11/2018, p.84]
  2. Sep 7, 2018
    Guacamalee 2 is a wonderful sequel who takes the core gameplay of the previous title to the next level by addressing every single issue and adding a lot more stuff to it, and even though it may not feel like a fresh experience as its predecessor did, it still has a lot to offer.
  3. Aug 29, 2018
    Fans of the first title will be thrilled that there’s more Guacamelee in the world, and there’s new mechanics and challenges to play with. New players should go back and experience the first Guacamelee and enjoy that, but there’s definitely enough backstory and tutorial in Guacamelee 2 to make any player comfortable with playing. With the only downside being that this may be one of the harder platforming experiences in recent years and therefore not for everyone, Guacamelee 2 stands out as one of the finest, and funniest titles of 2018. Don’t let this one skip by.