6.7

1. Dec 17, 2015
    This is the first space 4x game I tried, after 20 years experience playing Civ-style games, including Alpha Centauri and Pandora First Contact. This game is generally pretty bad, and I couldn't bear it for longer than 1 hour.

Pros: - it must be a 4x game with some interesting stuff inside which I couldn't see Cons: - horrible graphics, music and GUI design. Why is this game not

Pros:
    - it must be a 4x game with some interesting stuff inside which I couldn't see

Cons:
    - horrible graphics, music and GUI design. Why is this game not freeware? I'm pretty sure they could get better graphics even for free, by getting a few students who needed projects for their portfolios.
    - the tutorial consists of long series of modal dialogs which you have to read and click thru until you actually can start doing the required action, and there is so much info and everything is so poorly explained that usually by the time the sequence of the tutorial popups would finally come to its end, I would be just completely confused. I wouldn't even remember what needs to be done now, and where to find the buttons, or why this even needs to be done - I mean what the game tries to get me to achieve. Funny enough, I struggled for a minute not knowing how to close the messages list, blocking the solar system from view, as there is no "X" button for that and tutorial just says "close the message list". The tutorial doesn't highlight the buttons you need to press, and since the GUI is horribly designed, with no tooltips or anything, and tons of stuff placed on a single screen, I progressed thru tutorial at a snail pace, searching thru ugly undescriptive messages and buttons, had to restart it once to be able to re-read a passage. When a battle started, I couldn't find my ship or the enemy, and was forced to give up and press Auto. The second time I got stuck at some place I don't even remember now. So I just rage quit. What a piece of trash really!

I have an impression this game was made by some asocial math professor who is also pretty bad at teaching (and most students skip his lectures anyway because they are useless). Hardly anyone tested this game before release apart from the author.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 4, 2014
    Too clumsy to be really enjoyable.
  2. Mar 23, 2014
    Yet I’m not a developer, I’m merely a humble reviewer who happens to prefer the hands-on approach that Horizon promises but doesn’t deliver. If you are like me, then the game is a tough sell.
  3. Mar 23, 2014
    Micromanaging your cosmos expansion...look to the Horizon.