7.2

1. Sep 27, 2017
    The dialogue is lacking in many ways. The quality in general is poor and it often leaves a lot left to be desired. This isn't poor translation, responses to your dialogue choices are often disappointing, there really is no point to the choices. Honestly I was getting immersed in the menus, reading about the locations and such, only to be pulled out of it very quickly. It's quiteThe dialogue is lacking in many ways. The quality in general is poor and it often leaves a lot left to be desired. This isn't poor translation, responses to your dialogue choices are often disappointing, there really is no point to the choices. Honestly I was getting immersed in the menus, reading about the locations and such, only to be pulled out of it very quickly. It's quite mind-boggling that such effort went to add all this information about places, items and enemies when the dialogue and its options are so poor. I couldn't help but feel they could of used a lot of this text in the game-world, rather than leaving all of it in the menus.

It took me a few seconds to realize a flashback was happening at the shrine at the beginning of the game. This was because characters on screen were talking, and they were in almost the same positions in the flashback. Poor execution and Setsuna go together.

What can I say? Some materials are green when I can sell stuff to the magic consortium (the nightrite npc), yet I don't know why. Food hadn't been explained to me yet. I guessed they were used for something else. Materials to upgrade my weapons? No... They're for cooking. So I read the names. The other issue is... What the hell is this system? Selling items so an npc can sell you abilities? Because money is involved and this is labelled as buying and selling, so it is confusing, how much are you buying nightrite for? Are these materials used for other things? Oh, and the first time I used this system, I was selling items separately when I could just go and make them... But the nightrite are grayed out in the menu and as it's the first thing you see, you simply ignore it.

Combat... Where do I start? I play turn-based games so I don't have to time things with animations or dodge attacks. I find turn-based games... Relaxing. The Momentum system is anti-thetical to the turn-based experienced. You see, many things are based around the Momentum system. You feel like you need to use it. A lot. You hit a key when a character attacks an enemy once you've got a charge... But you gain charges by waiting when a characters turn is ready. When you do use Momentum, the animations are so short that it's not hard to miss it. You see... If the animation were longer, I wouldn't have as much of an issue but... This is a turn-based game. It's like when you feel you need to use summons in FF8 and you feel the need to use the square button to get the most out of the system. Instead of enchancing the game, these features degrade it. Not only that, but the Momentum system detracts from the actual combat in general. And the moment it gets hectic, I just don't care. I don't really give a ♥♥♥♥. That's my honest opinion. When I discovered Momentum carries over through battles, I found myself sitting at my PC doing literally nothing.
    Just waiting. Then I got bored. And that's a terrible thing.

The save points... For ♥♥♥♥s sake, my favourite podcast is on. I like to take my time going through a game without feeling rushed. I like to explore and make sure that I don't miss anything. So I keep moving forward, then I'm flooded with 20 accessories to look at and decide what to buy and how to equip my character .... Oh boy, how much fun. ♥♥♥♥ off and give me my save point already. Also, learn how to make a ♥♥♥♥ing game you plebs.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 16 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Oct 14, 2016
    I was really hoping I Am Setsuna will turn out to be the promised spiritual successor of Chrono Trigger. Instead it’s more of a walk through a museum of obsolete ideas that lack some binder which would make the game as engaging as Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy V. [10/2016, p.60]
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 12, 2016
    Games like I am Setsuna are created very rarely these days. It’s not perfect, but it is a promising first game from Tokyo RPG Factory. [Sept 2016]
  3. Edge Magazine
    Sep 26, 2016
    If it isn't as memorable as the games to which it owes its existence, it shares some of their best parts. [Oct 2016, p.112]