7.8

1. Mar 28, 2020
    After half an hour, I was already hooked—great fun without getting frustrated, I can always fix my mistakes.
  2. May 24, 2020
    Interesting combat mechanic, good story, great lore and awesome voice acting. It took me 17 h to finish it on high difficult. Sometimes it harsh, poor optimized but for the first game in a new studio it's fantastic.
  3. Apr 3, 2020
    Adventure game that is heavily inspired by the TRPG and Puzzle genre, with a unique time-manipulation mechanic that is super rewarding and turns more interesting as you progress through the game and gain more levels.

Characters seems interesting, though the dialogue is not always respecting me as the player to figure our what's happening as they are stating pretty obvious stuff. Most of the time it's entertaining and giving you some giggles.

The combat takes away the "mistake" factor from the game, you can try and optimize your strategy until you find a way to get out of the situation without taking damage. At first it feels weird but you get the hang of it quite quickly and then it becomes super rewarding.

You get upgrades to skills and characters after almost every level, so you have something new to bring to battle each level. I understand that this level approach is kinda weird and old-school for a modern game, but it didn't bother me and the length of the levels and phasing is good.

Enemy variation is good, level design seems interesting and diverse, animations seem good and the game looks awesome in 4k with maxed out graphics.

The music in the game is very good and brings a lot of atmosphere / character to the different scenarios of the game. I like that they gave the music a big role in this game to set the mood of an level with a wide variety of songs to listen to while finding solutions for your fights.

Some people are complaining about lack of character levels and gear to customize and after 3 hours in the game i don't need it, the game has other systems to reward the player. I don't just expect it to be a full blown trpg, if you look at it as a adventure/puzzle game with rpg elements your expectations will more likely get.

Highly recommend this game, first chance in a modern game to get a grasp of Finnish folklore and a great job from the studio.
  4. Apr 5, 2020
    Great game, music is awesome and graphics are good. The story is interesting all the way from the beginning to the end.
  5. May 25, 2020
    Iron Danger je v mnoha ohledech jiná hra. To ve skutečnosti poznáte už po pár vteřinách, kdy hlavní hrdinka , mladá Kipuna, zemře. Jenže dostane druhou šanci. Sice musí ve své hrudi nosit magický střep, ale odměnou se jí stávají magické schopnosti. To ovšem není jediné, co je na Iron Danger jiného a inovativního.

Jak totiž zjistíte o dalších pár sekund později, hra nabízí neskutečně

Jak totiž zjistíte o dalších pár sekund později, hra nabízí neskutečně zábavný a originální systém soubojů. Úlomek, který Kipuně zůstal v hrudi, totiž dal jí i jejím blízkým možnost manipulovat časem.

Hrátky s časem

Co to v praxi znamená? V jakémkoliv souboji máte manipulační prostor 5 vteřin, během kterých můžete vracet čas. Možná to nezní tak úžasně. Ale úžasné to je. I když to s sebou nese i jistá negativa. Najednou se před vámi otevírají úplně nové brány. Hratelnost nabývá takřka gigantických rozměrů.

Proč? Představte si to. Žádný souboj neprohrajete. Nikdy nezemřete. Tedy… zemřete mnohokrát, ale ne doopravdy, protože přece můžete vracet čas! Ano, teoreticky je možné z každého souboje vyváznout bez škrábnutí. Protože víte, kdy a jak váš oponent zaútočí. Kombat probíhá v jakési tahové variantě, ve které právě máte možnost manipulovat s časem.

Celá recenze na https://gamesmag.cz/recenze-iron-danger/
  6. Mar 25, 2020
    Iron Danger – fancy tactical story RPG with time loops

(This is a short excerpt of my longer review, that you can read here: https://zapzockt.de/en/iron-danger-review-test/ ) Iron Danger is great fun, if you like tactics and planning turn-based strategy fights down to the last detail. Because of the time travel mechanism, this is also possible for not so experienced tacticians, maybe
    Iron Danger – fancy tactical story RPG with time loops

Iron Danger is great fun, if you like tactics and planning turn-based strategy fights down to the last detail. Because of the time travel mechanism, this is also possible for not so experienced tacticians, maybe you have to rewind 2-3 times more, but with a little bit of trial and error, I was able to find a solution in every fight.

I really like the story of Iron Danger. It offers some surprises and twists and turns. It has many thrilling, but also some sad and grim moments. The story is easy to follow and the main characters also have some personality. Especially Kipuna has quickly become dear to my heart.

Since the game has a wide range of functions, the controls are correspondingly complex. But both the skill selection, like the control of the characters in the world and the extensive options of the time travel function are technically well implemented.

Depending on how you play, Iron Danger offers 10-20 hours of play, which brings the purchase price in the reasonable to acceptable range. For my taste, the game could offer another game mode or any other features that would provide replay value.

I am also a bit disappointed with the role-playing possibilities offered by Iron Danger. Here a lot more would have been possible, a small inventory system, some equipment and maybe a few basic values for level-ups. And the game would have been even more appealing for RPG fans on the one hand and on the other hand, it might have resulted in increased replay value. Chances were missed here, which could have been implemented with relatively little effort.

In its present form, you play through the story once, which is also a totally good experience. But then a new run-through isn’t that exciting anymore, because there are only a few decisions, hardly any character-individualization and although the story is exciting and of high quality, it is also very linear. There is a lack of branching and real decisions, that would have been beneficial for the game.
  7. Mar 25, 2020
    Love the athmosphere. Some of the scenes seem breathtaking. The music and sounds fit well. Some scenes seem complex and start to annoy you, but solving them is definetely worth it. I don't know if playing another round brings you anything really new, but gonna let my friends take a shot.

I'd also like to see a game like this in a totally different age and world.
  8. Mar 25, 2020
    The game has found the perfect middle ground between real-time action and turn-based combat. It is difficult to some degree but openheartedly fair. While it is lacking an open world, story branches and an inventory system (which it doesn't need), this is understandable since the core team is much smaller than those of any up-to-date RPGs. Why bother with extra stuff when you have aThe game has found the perfect middle ground between real-time action and turn-based combat. It is difficult to some degree but openheartedly fair. While it is lacking an open world, story branches and an inventory system (which it doesn't need), this is understandable since the core team is much smaller than those of any up-to-date RPGs. Why bother with extra stuff when you have a time-manipulating mechanic which is a total killer?

The optimization might have been better though.
  9. Sep 20, 2020
    It's an action RPG where you can rewind back the last few seconds of the fight. Essentially it would be equivalent to be able to reload autosaves you've made at 0.5-second steps, just without the hassle of extra clicks. So, don't think it's any real "time-bending" mechanic like in Achron or Braid or other games that really are about time manipulation. It's more like Time Shift where it'sIt's an action RPG where you can rewind back the last few seconds of the fight. Essentially it would be equivalent to be able to reload autosaves you've made at 0.5-second steps, just without the hassle of extra clicks. So, don't think it's any real "time-bending" mechanic like in Achron or Braid or other games that really are about time manipulation. It's more like Time Shift where it's all still linear, just with the word "time" added as a selling point. Iron Danger is essentially a game about quickly and constantly re-loading whenever you take damage.

My main problem with this game was with the controls: I kept scolling up/down to zoom in/out the camera since that's the standard in most games. However this does the time rewind! The right-drag controls for camera are clumsy. I'd want to be able to remap those key and also reverse X movement of the camera but I couldn't find key reconfig options.

Combat is pretty boring: you just rewind whenever you get hit and select block. Or alternate between block and hit without rewinding. It's all pretty clumsy because your characters and enemies also slide on the ground like it were ice, and get stuck if there are any obstacles (like fences or columns).

There are tons of objects in the levels which get highlighted but can't be interacted with.

Dialog voice-overs are more of an annoyance.. The starting scene is just awfully directed and made me dislike the game from the start! The dwarf comes to tell a story how he was the only survivor and is supposed to be all excited, but instead it's a slow dialog, with long pauses.. It doesn't get much better after that. The dwarf actor ruins any tension there could be, and I just stopped caring about the story after 10 minutes.

Control is constantly taken away, and the camera moves somewhere to show some characters speaking, then everything is shaking all the time, and the character can fall on the ground or get up - all without command. It all just doesn't feel comfortable. I have a feeling they just didn't playtest this game properly. It feels like much of the clumsiness could be avoided with help of early player feedback.
  10. Sep 16, 2020
    Great game overall, the graphics are top notch, I enjoyed the scenes and story. The game play is unique with the time rewind mechanics if you have ever edited a video it has that type of feeling, it's fun and interesting If you die you can rewind the time to go backwards and try again.

I recommend giving it a go and giving your opinion.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 31 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 9, 2020
    There are some circumstances where I wouldn’t hesitate at all to give Iron Danger a strong recommendation, and others where I would advise to wait for more in the series or another entry from the same team. For people who have a strong appreciation for SRPG gameplay and love to overthink challenging battles, this is your game. If you really need a game with the sparse, bleak feel of a Norse epic, you’ll find that here. And definitely, for anyone who knows the Kalevala or spends inordinate amounts of time discussing different representations of mythology or old folklore in games, this is especially your game, and I’ll be wanting to talk to you about how the game represents Lowhee and Ilmarinen.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 22, 2020
    Interesting duels, time games and remarkable characters are the main things, that Iron Danger has to offer. It's not a game of the year, but it does entertain. [Issue#302]
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    May 21, 2020
    Time rewind mechanics and focus on maneuvering bring a welcome spin on an otherwise tedious gameplay formula. [Issue#245, p.56]