8.0

1. Mar 28, 2020
    After half an hour, I was already hooked—great fun without getting frustrated, I can always fix my mistakes.
  2. Mar 30, 2020
    Great mechanics, great story, great visuals, great music. It's pretty unique and feels like a labour of love.
  3. Mar 25, 2020
    Iron Danger – fancy tactical story RPG with time loops

(This is a short excerpt of my longer review, that you can read here: https://zapzockt.de/en/iron-danger-review-test/ ) Iron Danger is great fun, if you like tactics and planning turn-based strategy fights down to the last detail. Because of the time travel mechanism, this is also possible for not so experienced tacticians, maybe
    Iron Danger – fancy tactical story RPG with time loops

Iron Danger is great fun, if you like tactics and planning turn-based strategy fights down to the last detail. Because of the time travel mechanism, this is also possible for not so experienced tacticians, maybe you have to rewind 2-3 times more, but with a little bit of trial and error, I was able to find a solution in every fight.

I really like the story of Iron Danger. It offers some surprises and twists and turns. It has many thrilling, but also some sad and grim moments. The story is easy to follow and the main characters also have some personality. Especially Kipuna has quickly become dear to my heart.

Since the game has a wide range of functions, the controls are correspondingly complex. But both the skill selection, like the control of the characters in the world and the extensive options of the time travel function are technically well implemented.

Depending on how you play, Iron Danger offers 10-20 hours of play, which brings the purchase price in the reasonable to acceptable range. For my taste, the game could offer another game mode or any other features that would provide replay value.

I am also a bit disappointed with the role-playing possibilities offered by Iron Danger. Here a lot more would have been possible, a small inventory system, some equipment and maybe a few basic values for level-ups. And the game would have been even more appealing for RPG fans on the one hand and on the other hand, it might have resulted in increased replay value. Chances were missed here, which could have been implemented with relatively little effort.

In its present form, you play through the story once, which is also a totally good experience. But then a new run-through isn’t that exciting anymore, because there are only a few decisions, hardly any character-individualization and although the story is exciting and of high quality, it is also very linear. There is a lack of branching and real decisions, that would have been beneficial for the game.
  4. Mar 25, 2020
    Love the athmosphere. Some of the scenes seem breathtaking. The music and sounds fit well. Some scenes seem complex and start to annoy you, but solving them is definetely worth it. I don't know if playing another round brings you anything really new, but gonna let my friends take a shot.

I'd also like to see a game like this in a totally different age and world.
  5. Mar 25, 2020
    The game has found the perfect middle ground between real-time action and turn-based combat. It is difficult to some degree but openheartedly fair. While it is lacking an open world, story branches and an inventory system (which it doesn't need), this is understandable since the core team is much smaller than those of any up-to-date RPGs. Why bother with extra stuff when you have aThe game has found the perfect middle ground between real-time action and turn-based combat. It is difficult to some degree but openheartedly fair. While it is lacking an open world, story branches and an inventory system (which it doesn't need), this is understandable since the core team is much smaller than those of any up-to-date RPGs. Why bother with extra stuff when you have a time-manipulating mechanic which is a total killer?

The optimization might have been better though.
  6. Apr 3, 2020
    Adventure game that is heavily inspired by the TRPG and Puzzle genre, with a unique time-manipulation mechanic that is super rewarding and turns more interesting as you progress through the game and gain more levels.

Characters seems interesting, though the dialogue is not always respecting me as the player to figure our what's happening as they are stating pretty obvious stuff. Most of the time it's entertaining and giving you some giggles.

The combat takes away the "mistake" factor from the game, you can try and optimize your strategy until you find a way to get out of the situation without taking damage. At first it feels weird but you get the hang of it quite quickly and then it becomes super rewarding.

You get upgrades to skills and characters after almost every level, so you have something new to bring to battle each level. I understand that this level approach is kinda weird and old-school for a modern game, but it didn't bother me and the length of the levels and phasing is good.

Enemy variation is good, level design seems interesting and diverse, animations seem good and the game looks awesome in 4k with maxed out graphics.

The music in the game is very good and brings a lot of atmosphere / character to the different scenarios of the game. I like that they gave the music a big role in this game to set the mood of an level with a wide variety of songs to listen to while finding solutions for your fights.

Some people are complaining about lack of character levels and gear to customize and after 3 hours in the game i don't need it, the game has other systems to reward the player. I don't just expect it to be a full blown trpg, if you look at it as a adventure/puzzle game with rpg elements your expectations will more likely get.

Highly recommend this game, first chance in a modern game to get a grasp of Finnish folklore and a great job from the studio.
  7. Apr 5, 2020
    Great game, music is awesome and graphics are good. The story is interesting all the way from the beginning to the end.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 20 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 3, 2020
    An interesting idea with a decent production, Iron Danger could be the basis for something truly amazing in the future.
  2. Apr 2, 2020
    Iron Danger is based on an interesting time-traveling that sometimes works great, and sometimes doesn’t. If you like the genre, though, it’s worth a try, as it offers something hard to find in other similar games.
  3. Mar 28, 2020