8.1

1. Mar 25, 2020
    Iron Danger – fancy tactical story RPG with time loops

(This is a short excerpt of my longer review, that you can read here: https://zapzockt.de/en/iron-danger-review-test/ ) Iron Danger is great fun, if you like tactics and planning turn-based strategy fights down to the last detail. Because of the time travel mechanism, this is also possible for not so experienced tacticians, maybe
    Iron Danger – fancy tactical story RPG with time loops

Iron Danger is great fun, if you like tactics and planning turn-based strategy fights down to the last detail. Because of the time travel mechanism, this is also possible for not so experienced tacticians, maybe you have to rewind 2-3 times more, but with a little bit of trial and error, I was able to find a solution in every fight.

I really like the story of Iron Danger. It offers some surprises and twists and turns. It has many thrilling, but also some sad and grim moments. The story is easy to follow and the main characters also have some personality. Especially Kipuna has quickly become dear to my heart.

Since the game has a wide range of functions, the controls are correspondingly complex. But both the skill selection, like the control of the characters in the world and the extensive options of the time travel function are technically well implemented.

Depending on how you play, Iron Danger offers 10-20 hours of play, which brings the purchase price in the reasonable to acceptable range. For my taste, the game could offer another game mode or any other features that would provide replay value.

I am also a bit disappointed with the role-playing possibilities offered by Iron Danger. Here a lot more would have been possible, a small inventory system, some equipment and maybe a few basic values for level-ups. And the game would have been even more appealing for RPG fans on the one hand and on the other hand, it might have resulted in increased replay value. Chances were missed here, which could have been implemented with relatively little effort.

In its present form, you play through the story once, which is also a totally good experience. But then a new run-through isn’t that exciting anymore, because there are only a few decisions, hardly any character-individualization and although the story is exciting and of high quality, it is also very linear. There is a lack of branching and real decisions, that would have been beneficial for the game.
  2. Mar 25, 2020
    Love the athmosphere. Some of the scenes seem breathtaking. The music and sounds fit well. Some scenes seem complex and start to annoy you, but solving them is definetely worth it. I don't know if playing another round brings you anything really new, but gonna let my friends take a shot.

I'd also like to see a game like this in a totally different age and world.
  3. Mar 25, 2020
    The game has found the perfect middle ground between real-time action and turn-based combat. It is difficult to some degree but openheartedly fair. While it is lacking an open world, story branches and an inventory system (which it doesn't need), this is understandable since the core team is much smaller than those of any up-to-date RPGs. Why bother with extra stuff when you have aThe game has found the perfect middle ground between real-time action and turn-based combat. It is difficult to some degree but openheartedly fair. While it is lacking an open world, story branches and an inventory system (which it doesn't need), this is understandable since the core team is much smaller than those of any up-to-date RPGs. Why bother with extra stuff when you have a time-manipulating mechanic which is a total killer?

The optimization might have been better though.
  4. Mar 28, 2020
    After half an hour, I was already hooked—great fun without getting frustrated, I can always fix my mistakes.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 18 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 28, 2020
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Mar 26, 2020
    Iron Danger is a compelling real-time tactics game that's held together by its core feature and a few interesting characters. Sadly, the story is bland other than a few interesting characters and while the core gameplay elements result in a strong tactical game, the controls frequently frustrate and impede the fun you can have.
  3. Mar 25, 2020
    All things considered, Iron Danger is a great game. It may lack the sweeping epic scope of others and the marketing budget of a AAA game, but it lacks none of the quality. It’s a fun romp in fantasy Finland, setting stuff on fire and slinging spells left and right. It’s like 2001’s Achron that actually works!