tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 1 more rating

1. May 5, 2019
    While I enjoy the sparse, minimalist approach of three piece Grizzlygames "Islanders," it'd be best to put the shoe on the other foot and conceptualize for a moment what game this genre belongs in. It isn't a city-builder, despite the numerous "reviews" websites like rockpapershotgun will tell you, and its not particularly a "strategy game," unless you call running out of places to placeWhile I enjoy the sparse, minimalist approach of three piece Grizzlygames "Islanders," it'd be best to put the shoe on the other foot and conceptualize for a moment what game this genre belongs in. It isn't a city-builder, despite the numerous "reviews" websites like rockpapershotgun will tell you, and its not particularly a "strategy game," unless you call running out of places to place buildings strategic. It is first and foremost a very basic puzzle game that will have you creating cute pastiche little huts that even Kamehameha the first would've blushed upon witnessing the first time. Then you do it again, then you move on to the next building space a.k.a. "island" and repeat. You're attempting to gain enough points to move on to the next island, not exactly as entertaining as watching how your villagers, of which their are NONE, attempt to traverse the slippery slopes, mountains and ravines to actually do anything with the buildings you've placed there. It seems strange to build a "mill" on a peak somewhere, surrounded by farms, when their is no discernible logic to that at all. I also don't particularly understand how some things gain more points when their within a certain proximity of each other, so I just assume its random. Placing buildings is finicky, in the fact that some spots are worth slightly more points, but having to navigate within a hair-folic sized point on the map can be irritating. As some on steam have called it, its very "chill," whatever that's supposed to mean. Is it fun? I don't know-lets just call it chill. The music is quite dull to listen to, the graphics are beyond sparse, and the desert islands have a terribly luminescent yellow sand color that is obnoxiously the same color font as your points display, so they tend to block each other out. Its hilarious to think someone could really sink their teeth into this for more than twenty minutes, as it gets very repetitive quickly and only offers more space to work with or slightly more challenging biome on the next island your whisked away too if you get a high enough score. I guess its an interesting idea, but without much actually strategy, or even dare I say, "city building" its not a very deep concept for a game. Expand

1. Edge Magazine
    May 23, 2019
    Modest and ingenious and smartly priced, Islanders is as engaging to tinker with as a palate cleanser between bigger games as to take seriously in pursuit of a high score - wonky mansions and all. [Issue#333, p.120]
    ISLANDERS is great, especially for the extremely low price tag. At times it may feel a little simplistic, but I can see this being a great title to come back to whenever you have a few minutes to spare.
  3. Apr 27, 2019
    GrizzlyGames offers a vision of city building with Islanders as rarely seen before. Forget the management of the population, the economy and all the cumbersome settings, the game starts with the bare minimum to travel and appeals to your optimization skills. Building a city has rarely been so pretty and satisfying, and you'll probably end up your games thinking "Come on, I can do better". We will simply regret the music being a little too repetitive.