6.8

1. Feb 12, 2017
    Did you enjoy the original tabletop skirmish game? Do you like good turn based strategy games? Well get ready to be disappointed. This game just FEELS slow everything about it is slow. There are no tactics to speak of. The entire strategy is get your warband close together and gang up on the AI. The AI is abysmal. There a very few maps, very few warbands to choose from theDid you enjoy the original tabletop skirmish game? Do you like good turn based strategy games? Well get ready to be disappointed. This game just FEELS slow everything about it is slow. There are no tactics to speak of. The entire strategy is get your warband close together and gang up on the AI. The AI is abysmal. There a very few maps, very few warbands to choose from the customization is lacking and the secondary objectives are pointless. This is a 15 dollar game tops. Don't pay more for it. Expand
  2. Jul 28, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is generally very good, but it does have some flaws and it can be unforgiving and at times downright brutal. Some of the elements from the tabletop are definitely not present but it has solid if hard to master mechanics. It is on some of these specific mechanics where the game begins to break down. In specific the faction storyline missions are hard to get at first (Now entering spoiler territory of a general sense) in most missions there exist some infinite waves of reinforcements which cause some players to think the game is lying when they see the first evaluation of the enemy strength. This being said those same infinite reinforcements can also be used as a way to farm experience for more powerful pieces later on so this does even out.
    In terms of the game itself you can lose a lot of progression such as items or powerful weapons if you make mistakes You can likewise gain from your triumphs in the exact same manner.
    One other important item to note is that 99.99% of the time you take a loss it is your fault. There are lots of complaints about the random number generator, but these are unfounded at best and can be mitigated by learning the mechanics and accepting the reality of the existence of luck. Also remember that for every role you see on camera the game has several more roles you may not see and the random numbers have been tested to be sound.
    I have played this game for almost 650 hours now and I will say the reason the score cannot be better is as follows.
    1 Losses can feel disproportionately severe at times
    2 The biggest issue with this game is how unfriendly it can be to new players, but many new players throw up their hands too early after too little real experience.

The reasons this game are very good
    1 It forces you to use a mindset of patience and strategy with a depth far better than many games.
    2 Once the player has made their peace with the Random Number generator it is usually great fun later on.
    3 The game forces the player to weigh risk and reward when making any decision
    4 The punishment you suffer for your mistakes is always on you and it is not the computer's fault
    5 The storyline can be challenging, but it is adequate to make a player have to learn different ways to deal with unique situations and once beaten the satisfaction from them is immense
    6 The Most Important, The community is great and if you approach the community with respect you will get respect in return many players genuinely want to help other players get better at the game so if you are finding something difficult help is not hard to find.

One final word, if you do pick up this game please do the tutorials. The tutorials are put in for a reason and seeing the skills they teach you will help with at least 70% or more of the new player stigma that results in many of the ill reviews.

This game has its flaws, but it also has many good points and with patience and some degree of luck you will eventually see improvement in your own enjoyment of the game as well.

Don't forget the tutorials and good luck
  3. Jan 10, 2016
    This game wastes your time in a bad way. Each map takes several minutes to load and each enemy turn can take 10-15 seconds to play out. This happens even if the enemy unit is not visible at the time. So each turn involves a good 60-90 seconds waiting while the computer moves units that you cannot see.

The graphics are OK, but they get repetitive really fast. Every battle seems to be in the same sort of ruined city area. It gets old fast. The unit animations are not great either. So many units just move their legs while running, their arms just sort of lock in place.

Warband progression is pretty pointless. No matter how good your guys get, the enemy Warband is always a little stronger. So the equipment and levels don't really matter. I suppose it makes players feel like they are getting ahead but it is really just a time waster.

All the missions seem to be generic crap. An enemy Warband is here; go kill them. The sort of mission that you can re-use for any faction the player might have chosen. Supposedly there are faction-specific missions, but I didn't see any after several missions.

The worst part is that the game will punish you for doing too well in a fight. The enemy can rout and flee the battle. This means you win but it also means you are denied any bonus objectives or resources scattered around the map. This is a big problem because the money you need to keep your army paid comes from looting the battlefield resources. Something that is only possible while the battle is still being fought.

If you are a hardware Warhammer fan, you probably own this already. If you are not a Warhammer fan, I can't recommend it.
  4. Nov 30, 2015
    1) Too many repetitive missions 2) Bugs and lacks Polish 3) Long load times 4) A bizarre difficulty system with annoying time requests to gather Wyrdstone or else it is game over and with enemies always being stronger from your team. It is a shame because the graphics and the atmosphere are well made but the gameplay is for maschochists it is not so fun
  5. May 19, 2016
    Mordheim plays like a solid alpha build. It brings the in-depth progression, loot, and character development that was essential to the table top game. However, there are a slew of design choices that really rob the game of its full potentially. The first and most glaring issue is the bizarre movement system, which is an odd hybrid of free movement and turn/action based. This leads to a lotMordheim plays like a solid alpha build. It brings the in-depth progression, loot, and character development that was essential to the table top game. However, there are a slew of design choices that really rob the game of its full potentially. The first and most glaring issue is the bizarre movement system, which is an odd hybrid of free movement and turn/action based. This leads to a lot of awkward moments where you have trouble with context-sensitive commands, where you're trying to squeeze your second warrior past a friendly to get them into combat. I really feel like a hex or square based system like XCOM or Wasteland would have resulted in a vastly superior game experience. The combat is simple and doesn't take advantage of the streamlined gameplay that a computer game should allow when compared with the table top game. The graphics are somewhat disappointing even on the top settings and I would have preferred a more Warhammer stylized look that would suit the game's graphics. Bum-rushing the enemy in a group is unfortunately still the best approach, and the objectives feel very secondary to the battle, this is only made more problematic considering there are still only four factions.

I really feel like an XCOM style combat system would have made the game much faster and less glitchy, and would have allowed more variety in combat tactics.
  6. Mar 6, 2016
    I can't recommend this game. The AI doesn't play the same game you play, all it does it focus on taking you out while you try to do objectives. For being a recreation of a table top game, this essentially is spoiling the fundamental basis of that game itself. It's basically the same as if I were to play the game the "Sorry" while you were playing Monopoly, but we were using the sameI can't recommend this game. The AI doesn't play the same game you play, all it does it focus on taking you out while you try to do objectives. For being a recreation of a table top game, this essentially is spoiling the fundamental basis of that game itself. It's basically the same as if I were to play the game the "Sorry" while you were playing Monopoly, but we were using the same board. It doesn't make any sense at all.

Can't really recommend this. Do not buy.
  7. Dec 4, 2015
    Extremely long load times, even on SSD. Gameplay is buggy, repetitive, lacks any incentive. Campaign is laughable at best. Graphics are decent, feels a bit dated, but the artwork remains quite alright. Quite demanding performance-wise, though I do not know why.
    How this game has a rating as high as 7.9 at the time of this writing is questionable at best.
  8. May 20, 2016
    The RNG in this game is complete and utter garbage which is bad in a game that has permadeath. Text is so small I can't even read it with reading glasses, the levels are just hashed together tiles with no procedural generation, the AI is completely stupid. Only reason I'm not giving it a zero is because the atmosphere is good and the graphics and sound are competently done.
  9. Dec 6, 2015
    There are some serious flaws in the design of this game. The tactics are limited and the enemies level with you, penalizing progression.

This is how you win: Swarm your enemy. Use chokepoints. There, that's it. Afterwards, learn to level your squad correctly (you will be punished for creativity). Enemies level with you, becoming more and more dangerous. So, oddly enough, you can

Enemies level with you, becoming more and more dangerous. So, oddly enough, you can do yourself a favor by not improving your squad. Similarly, the enemies will mirror your squad in numbers and types. You send 5 they have 5. You send all 10 and so do they, just with slightly better stats and much more skills, because in Mordheim, you will spend your money on skills instead of weapons. Being a teacher has never been so profitable. Maybe my warband should get in on that.

You can usually employ one of two tactics: You can hide for several turns while the enemies will spread out and then you pick them off. Or just put everyone in a building and they will just sit outside and wait. Meanwhile, one scout can loot the map. Anything else will be costly.

When I learned that these where the best and, sometimes, only tactics, I stopped playing. There were some good moments in the meantime, snatching victory barely, but to grind through the rest of Mordheim by gaming the cheating a.i. isn't my idea of fun.

It's a difficult game. It also feels like a chore too soon.

Even when you win a battle your troops retreat without taking a turn to grab the obvious treasures at their feet. Horrible inventory management. Odd camera movements during actions. Slow, repetitive animations. Long load times and enemy turns. And the auto leveling enemies and lack of real tactical options other than divide and conquer.

It has its moments and can be addictive. It's just the compulsive gambling addiction that you don't wish upon anyone else. The ironman mode is fine and it does make for some tense fights. The high difficulty is fine too. The graphics and music are passable. The UI is meant for consoles, and is poorly devised, but it works in the end. It's the core gameplay that isn't fun. Where are the tactics? Keep your team together and surround the enemy stragglers? That's it? The one viable option?

Mordheim: City of the Dull
  10. May 25, 2017
    It pains me to review this game so low. It doesn't help that most of the positive scores come from single review plant accounts.

I love Warhammer, and the system this uses, what it's based on is fun. But this is a terrible implementation. There's no strategy, the enemy is more powerful than you, and walks straight at you. You can beat them to death with a little positioning, but by virtue of raw power, they'll take someone with them.

It's mindless, and a strategy came, more than anything, should NOT be mindless. It's also clunky to navigate, the camera is... unhelpful, and the UI... passable.

It COULD be good, instead it's lazy. Its score would be lower if more people actually bought the game.
  11. Sep 3, 2016
    Terrible broken boring game. Cool setting and cutscenes, but the game is overly complicated and third person camera system and WASD make playing the game horrible.
  12. May 14, 2016
    TL/DR
    Dont not buy this broken pile of....
    Worst RNG ever produced in the 35 years I have played AI is really bad too. Exampel: Enemy stands in ambush stance. Runs over the road climb a wall then jumps down same wall go back to start and ambush stance again at rthe same time I stand in melee right beside where he stands and fight his teammate. Devs dont knopw how to make a even ok
    TL/DR
    Dont not buy this broken pile of....
    Worst RNG ever produced in the 35 years I have played
    AI is really bad too. Exampel:

Devs dont knopw how to make a even ok AI so instead they break the RNG
    to try and cover the absent of know how:

RNG is a big joke so you should like beeing frustrated a lot.

Typical battle in my playtime:
    Comp hits 95% of the time
    Me araound 50%
    Even though I have after penalties around 65% minimum according to game.
    I dodge maybe once or twice in a whole battle even though my worst dodge is 55% on my henchmen.

Comp have 97% Save on alone tests in my games so far

And if this is not enough you have to keep running for wyrdstones just to pay upkeep for your gang so you dont have as many in the combat as computer that dont need to pick it up.

Fortunetly the AI is bad but that means the hard in the game comes from a bad RNG and not the tactical.

Also I like the permadeath and dmg and that the game is hard but with all bad coding its just not so fun to play.

Clunky anhimations and the same animation over and over and over.
    Lots of graphical bugs.

Cant handle latest graphic drivers from AMD and says its AMDs fault and I be like "Hmmmm but all my other games work so sure blame AMD...."

Rude to players that say all other games work but yours then the DEV says he know better becasue he heard other games have problems so of course he knows best.

Good that they say the listen but sad they dont have the skills.

I am sorry for backing this game so you can be fooled into it.
    Of course also the release more broken things for even more money.
  13. Jun 30, 2016
    It's just not a very good game. It takes ages to play with very little pay off. It's also resource hungry and I can't see why, the graphics are not that super hot and it's a turn based game so not exactly a lot going on at the same time. It looks and feels old, it's very repetitive and after an hour I have stopped playing feeling pretty disappointed.
  14. Aug 18, 2016
    There is a flawed but essentially good game underneath Mordheim's problems, but it is heavily marred by a user interface and game flow that is *extremely* wasteful of the player's time and attention, to the point of displaying a marked disrespect for the player.

This disrespect is on display everywhere in the game, from every in-game action being punctuated by one-second animation locks on the UI to the fact that the game does *not* fast-forward AI actions that are out of view -- it plays them invisibly at normal speed, meaning that enemy turns take 10-15 seconds for each enemy (and there are 5 to 10 enemies), and most of this time is unnecessary waste.

I'd also like to note that Mordheim's developers is one of those who purposefully refuse to allow beginning logo videos to be skipped, in spite of clear negative player feedback on it. (Their answers on the forums are disingenous -- they claim that the videos cover game loading time, but the hard drive and CPU usage are nearly nil beyond what is used to play the videos -- CPU usage actually increases once the logo videos are done and the skippable intro video begins playing.) Disingenous forum answers are also disrespectful.

So, all said, I personally think this developer could use a lesson not only in UI design, but also in respect for the user. This problem is distinct and serious enough of a flaw in the game, that to me it warrants a punitively low review score. I hope developers learn to be more respectful of player time and attention.

There are other significant flaws with the game design, but I won't go into those. They're workable and could be forgiven, especially if alleviated in patches. But the UI itself, along with the unskippable logo video timewaste at the beginning, is the dealbreaker. And shame on you, Rogue Factor, for it.
  15. Nov 25, 2015
    Mordheim is a fantastic, faithful translation of the cult classic tabletop game. Be warned, though, casual gamer: this is no Candy Crush Saga for the gaming faint-of-heart. Mordheim is hugely challenging and occasionally heartbreaking, and there's no "changing the difficulty setting" or prescient saves here to spare you from all of the nail-biting and mouse-smashing you'll experience asMordheim is a fantastic, faithful translation of the cult classic tabletop game. Be warned, though, casual gamer: this is no Candy Crush Saga for the gaming faint-of-heart. Mordheim is hugely challenging and occasionally heartbreaking, and there's no "changing the difficulty setting" or prescient saves here to spare you from all of the nail-biting and mouse-smashing you'll experience as you continue to dig in to the campaign. No other turn-based strategy game has ever left me on the edge of my seat the way Mordheim has.

The graphics and sound are serviceable, but there are no movie-quality cutscenes here, no incredibly beautiful art to dazzle the eye. Mordheim is true to the Warhammer universe, which is "A Grim World of Perilous Adventure". While other players may knock the game down a peg for this, I enjoy a game based solely on the mechanics of the gameplay, and in this, the development team absolutely aced it.

Kudos on a job well done. Hopefully, my nails will grow back at some point.
  16. Nov 25, 2015
    I typically play grand strategy titles but picked this up on a whim. I am glad I did. The game strikes a very good balance between challenge vs. playability, emersion, risk vs. reward, progression, etc.. I absolutely love the 3rd person point of view and feel of the game play. It gives you the illusion of playing out a mini adventure, each time you start a new mission. There are quite aI typically play grand strategy titles but picked this up on a whim. I am glad I did. The game strikes a very good balance between challenge vs. playability, emersion, risk vs. reward, progression, etc.. I absolutely love the 3rd person point of view and feel of the game play. It gives you the illusion of playing out a mini adventure, each time you start a new mission. There are quite a few naysayers out there who exclaim that the game is too hard or unfair. This is a thinking man's game. You must plan out your actions carefully and execute. Do I risk splitting up to gather more reward or play it safe so that I have strength in numbers? If you like a challenging game that affords you the opportunity to imagine yourself as the leader of a small band of brothers (or rats, sisters, etc..) and enjoy advancement and progression, you will like this title. I am not crazy about the Warhammer universe, but the gameplay has me addicted...there is always one more thing I want to do before putting the game down...good mix of tactical play, overall strategy in mission deployment, warband management, etc..

Pros
    Immersive Gameplay: You identify with your merry band of warriors
    Nail biting: Many missions will come right down to the wire
    Challenging Gameplay: Rewarding to those that want a challenge. Feeling of accomplishment. You earned your victory!
    Varied Maps and Mission set Ups: Every mission will be a bit different than the one before.
    Point of View: Refreshing 3rd person perspective that plays out before your eyes. It doesnt seem turned base...you are almost watching an action movie.
    Fog of War: What's in that house across the street? Should I risk going in and getting cornered? What about that treasure chest that's in there?
    Customization: Moderate character customization options. rename and tailor the look of your warband.
    Pick and Choose: though not really a sandbox game, you have some flexibility in picking the missions you want to play.
    Fun: I just enjoy playing the game. I cant put it down.

Cons
    Iron Man: No combat saves. For me, this adds to the game tension (risk vs. reward) so is not an negative, but the game is unforgiving. You will live with your mistakes (or die by them).
    Finesse Required: You must learn the tactics and how to play the game to get good at it. (Hint: Stay together!)
    Luck: There are some situations that amount to dumb luck (good and bad) that no amount of tactics will overcome. This hasn't occurred too often, but it does happen.
    Customization Options: what is available is good but wish there was more.
    Repetitive Missions: though I have not tired of the missions, they are similar in scope and style, save for the four story missions. Could become "grindy" for some.
  17. Dec 6, 2015
    Excellent game. Like others have said, the load times are long, but only happen at the beginning of a mission, so it's not like you're loading every ten minutes. Just grab a drink from the fridge or take a bathroom break and you're good.
    Very detailed and engrossing gameplay and character management. Forced hardcore mode isn't for everyone, but the game wouldn't have the same sense of engagement and urgency if it was easy to just save-load scum. It forces the player into careful strategizing instead of a shotgun approach. Being able to lose is what makes winning so gratifying.
    Good art and animation. Good level design with palpable verticality. Really cool system of engagement. A bit of a learning curve, but well worth it.
  18. Apr 2, 2017
    Во-первых, имейте ввиду, что это нишевый проект, выпущенный по спиноффу основной вселенной Warhammer, так что вам как минимум должен быть известен лор в общих тонах, чтобы, так сказать, понимать о чем идет речь. Во-вторых, будьте готовы к однообразию. Типичные ситуации, одна и та же подходящая тактика, многоразовые забеги за ресурсами — это вас несомненно ждет. В-третьих, приготовьтеВо-первых, имейте ввиду, что это нишевый проект, выпущенный по спиноффу основной вселенной Warhammer, так что вам как минимум должен быть известен лор в общих тонах, чтобы, так сказать, понимать о чем идет речь. Во-вторых, будьте готовы к однообразию. Типичные ситуации, одна и та же подходящая тактика, многоразовые забеги за ресурсами — это вас несомненно ждет. В-третьих, приготовьте что-нибудь мягкое и крепкое, чтобы вымещать свою злобу. Игра насквозь пропитана ложью. Не верьте процентам — молитесь всем богам.

Mordheim: City of the Damned могла бы быть в разы интереснее, если бы не была так затянута. Имейте ввиду, для полного прохождения вам понадобиться поиграть за каждую фракцию. А на прохождение только одной фракцией у меня ушло более 20 часов. С одной стороны это отличный показатель игрового времени, если бы только не тот факт, что прохождение скучно до предела. Миссии все одинаковые до безобразия, а так как все события происходят в городе, то и декорации одни и те же. В итоге отличаются между собой лишь сюжетные миссии, коих для каждой фракции не более десятка.В остальном же задача добывать ресурсы для оплаты труда отряда и выполнять поручения руководства по доставке ресурсов. Для сбыта всего нажитого в городе будет нет только ваше начальство, но и черный рынок представленный двумя конторами. Короче, я веду к тому, что избежать скучных миссий не получится, ибо денег будет крайне мало, ресурсов мало, а без бабла вы не сможете ничего.

И все бы ничего. мы народ крепкий, потерпеть можем, но сами сражения. О, это отдельная песня, которая достойна руки Юрия Лозы. Во-первых, бои искусственно усложнены. Врагов всегда больше, прокачаны они всегда лучше и экипировка выше. Положение в начале сражений у нас всегда проигрышное, в основном мы должны осаждать. В итоге частой тактикой будет выманивание противника по одному. Долго и нудно, а профита почти никакого, так как за это время собрать ресурсов не реально. «И это ещё не все» ваше вдруг возникшее удовольствие от игры (уж не знаю от чего оно возникнет, но вдруг) окончательно выветрится когда вы увидите, что шанс попасть по противнику 90% обернется чередой промахов несколько раз подряд, а шанс попасть по вам в 15% обернется точными критами от противника и смертью. Для пущего эффекта ваши войны после травм принесенных с поля боя обретают такие шикарные запоминающиеся характеристики в своем резюме как «хромой», «горбатый», «умственно отсталый», а иногда можно и на ровном мести огрести по первое число. Например, завели вы себе колдуна, прокачали, а потом бац и при первом же касте получаете проклятье и плакали ваши денежки и юнит.
  19. Nov 24, 2015
    A great turn based strategy game, which can keep you occupied for days just looking planning how to build your warband. It's brutal, complex and has a lot of replay value.
    The RNG can be frustrating at times, but skill, planning and experience will overcome it.
    It currently offers 4 warbands, each with their own story line (8 missions), and 7 different units for each. DLC's open for the
    DLC's open for the possibility (and likelihood) of adding more of the over 20 different warbands from the tabletop source material.
    If you're a Warhammer fan, it's definitely worth checking out. If you have no idea what Warhammer is, but like turn based strategy or fantasy games in general, it's also worth it.
  20. Nov 24, 2015
    When I read the IGN Spain summary review, I wonder if we played the same game.
    This game was made by an indie and small dev team, but it could put to shame AAA devs anyday.
    About the game itself, it's Mordheim, warhammer, so you should at least have a vague idea of what it's about. It's grim and desperate, which fits the permadeath feature very well. Oh, yes, permadeath. And you're
    When I read the IGN Spain summary review, I wonder if we played the same game.
    It's grim and desperate, which fits the permadeath feature very well.
    Oh, yes, permadeath. And you're gonna hate it.
    Basically, after a comet wrecked the town of Mordheim, small warbands are sent by factions to gather stones the comet was made of. And fight for it.
    So you pick a faction (four atm, but all players are BEGGING for DLCs! Well, not ALL, but I sure am), create a warband, and go into town to do various missions, that always include smashing someone's face.
    For each guy you have you have to manage stat points and skills, so it's very rich and various builds are doable).
    After a battle, you gain various amounts of XP to increase your guys stats.
    But if one is downed during a battle, he gets to roll a dice on an injury table.
    There are many, I won't list them, just know that my one-legged warpguard now knows not to trifle with a Chaos Norse.
    And they can die. So yeah, permadeath.
    This game is really good, and if you like TBS, warhammer lore, or both, just get it.
    There are some points that could be improved, sure, but devs are working on it. And I was part of the EA, and when they say "we're on it", they atually are.
  21. Nov 24, 2015
    Awesome turn based, squad rpg. If you like XCOM and Jagged Alliance, you should definitely give Mordheim a try.

Hardcore permadeath and injury system with no save/reload. This makes your high level character more valuable than ever!
  22. Nov 24, 2015
    One of the rare games that actually pushes the envelope in a genre. Mordheim is turn based strategy as it hasn't been done before.

The basic game involves putting together a group of characters and battling it out in a ruined city for precious stones. Beneath the hood of this surprisingly slick looking game is an intricate set of game mechanics and a deep character customization system which lend this game a great deal of longevity.

The game has a few flaws and is punishingly difficult, but is all the more rewarding for it. If your interested in TBS, tabletop wargames, or party management games Mordheim will challenge, frustrate, delight and reward you all at the same time. Beware, the game features permadeath and many who set out to find their fortune in the ruins of Mordheim will instead find an untimely end.
  23. Nov 24, 2015
    Mordheim is a punishing (hardcore) RPG turn-based strategy game set in Warhammer Fantasy universe.

Basically you select a faction, create a Warband, customize it (hire soldiers, give them weapons & armors, allocate stats & skill points) and fight skirmishes against the AI or players. Shall you emerge victorious from a fight, you'll earn xp, gold & loot, slowly leveling up your Warband;

Shall you emerge victorious from a fight, you'll earn xp, gold & loot, slowly leveling up your Warband; however if a soldier falls in battle, he may become permanently injured (or even die).

The game has a small learning curve (thankfully tutorials greatly help), but once you learn the ropes, it becomes really fun & immersive!

Be warned though, you will become emotionally attached to your Warband, curse at your monitor when your captain/favorite hero gets ambushed & knocked to the ground, and celebrate with joy when you overcome the enemy and see him rout!

While I acknowledge this game may not be for everyone (again its a turn based strategy game), personally I am having a blast!

Lastly its worth mentioning that the developers are very close to the community, constantly listening to players feedback, interacting on forum, patching, and balancing.

My score: 9.5/10 as a few aspects could be improved (such as the ability to deploy your troops directly from the map), but overall the game delivers a solid Warband management experience and is very enjoyable!
  24. Nov 25, 2015
    i bought this game while looking for a strategic/tactic game to play ( as they are my favorite genre), know nothing about it.
    so i researched about it across the web (steam user rewievs/forum, youtuber, ecc.) i decided to buy it.
    i download it and start playing, after a while i realized there was already 4:00 am and in 3 hour i have to go to work... pfff who need to sleep! and just 2
    pfff who need to sleep! and just 2 hour will not help me anyway!
    i have already 120 hours in this game now and still the desire to play it like in the first hour of it.
    if you like strategic/tactic game buy this right now!
  25. Nov 26, 2015
    Not a game for gentle souls or kind hearts. There are no shining Paladins nor Noble Knights here. No lovable rogues providing light comic relief and no gruff veterans with hearts of gold. Mordheim is a game with an atmosphere that is all dirt, grime, gore, death and.. worse - mutations and chaos. Lots of Chaos. The atmosphere conjured by the game is grim and the game play then backs thisNot a game for gentle souls or kind hearts. There are no shining Paladins nor Noble Knights here. No lovable rogues providing light comic relief and no gruff veterans with hearts of gold. Mordheim is a game with an atmosphere that is all dirt, grime, gore, death and.. worse - mutations and chaos. Lots of Chaos. The atmosphere conjured by the game is grim and the game play then backs this up. The difficulty is relentlessly unforgiving at first, and will often force you to make stark choices between keeping your warband whole and healthy and succeeding in your mission objectives. As you improve it gets easier to recover from a mistake but even so you'll occasionally suffer to the whims of fortune with a bad deployment, ambush and or just poor luck. Which means some missions you just cannot win - which is as it should be. This is Mordheim, not everyone makes it back.

Only reason this doesn't get a 10 is that it needs more customization options for the warbands. And more warband races.
  26. Nov 25, 2015
    This is the first game I have felt drawn to review on Metacritic. I bought it on a whim one evening as I had dablled in the table top game years ago and I love the Warhammer Universe.

I've played lots of strategy games, X-com, Civ, all the way back to old RTSs and older games even like Rites of War and the early warhammer games. All I can say is i think this game is fantastic. The

All I can say is i think this game is fantastic. The first person view gives you an amazing immersion, whilst the strategic move points mean its still quite practical to move each unit. Lots of freedom to get exactly where you want them to go.

The whole setting of a gothic ruined city filled with monsters is excellent as well.

I think two things highlight to me how much I like this game.
    Injuries and permadeath, this makes the game fascinating, frustrating and a challenge but also leads to making some interesting decisions, such as: Is it worth keeping my leader despite the fact that he is so brain damaged he has to make a stupidity check every turn, or do I get a new one. Or "drat my highest damage character just lost a leg and can't run anymore". These decisions add a colour and a harshness to the game that makes it both frustrating and annoying.

The other thing that sincerely impresses me is the dedication of the development team. This game was Early Access done well. From when I purchased it to launch (a few months) there were regularly updates, and when something broke it wasn't uncommon for a patch to be rushed through in the next day or two. There was also regular communicaiton with the community about what would and wouldn't be done.

The answer to many things on the players wishlist was "not on the plan for early access but lets talk about it later" which is the best response when trying to make a quality limited product that you can build on later.

And it is expected that this game will be expanded and will get better, with more warbands and more options. I certainly have things I would like developed and added, but even without those, as it stands this is a fanstic game for those that like strategy, and the injuries and RNG system will tie you to your warbands like no other game has sucessfully done for me.

Enjoy, money well spent!
  27. Nov 25, 2015
    Really enjoyed this one, has that good old school board game vibe about it that I like. Combined with the gritty setting makes it a winner. Fun if difficult but its difficulty is refreshing in this day and age.
  28. Nov 26, 2015
    This is how XCOM-EU would be, if it was made to be played on ironman mode and you could get back in action, after losing have your squad.

If it also had funding for servers, would be 10/10.
  29. Dec 1, 2015
    I absolutely love this game!

It is by far the best game that I have purchased all this year, and i can see it being obsessively played for a large portion of next year too. Then, once more warbands come out (Fingers crossed) Cracked open and played all the way back into undeath! This is a tough game to start with, and your first couple of runs will see your elite captain with his
    I absolutely love this game!

This is a tough game to start with, and your first couple of runs will see your elite captain with his sword arm cut off, or your super sneaky rat assassin get a hammer to the head and die and your whole warband ripped to shreds. But as you improve, you will learn the mechanics and how to defeat the enemies.

People will still lose arms and eyes and fingers but you will take more limbs than you lose. A permanent upgrade veteran system also adds some Rogue like permanent progression, making each successive warband a little easier to get into a strong position.

The battles are always tense, and even a low level engagement will have moments that worry you. Like when your favorite archer is trying to climb up a wall to escape the massive axe of a ex-possessed nut-job and in his terror keeps losing his footing and falling on his backside.

I find myself stealing a quick game of this whenever physically possible and would recommend it to anybody who is a fan of Tactical games, strategy, roguelike, permadeath, gritty and dark settings, and Warhammer / Mordheim.

The only downside is that i want more! (Not that there isn't enough, after about 130 hours I still haven't got to act 2 with any of my warbands, i'm just greedy for warbands)
  30. Nov 24, 2015
    This game is simply fantastic. There are minor issues here and there and some odd graphic glitches. But, overall the game requires thought and planning. But, I think it captures the warhammer world very well and handles the mechanics of the boardgame.

I wish it had multiplayer servers and warbands were stored online for online play. Some kind of ladder or online campaign would be great as well.

I would buy additional warbands as DLC. I would also pay for multiplayer. It is a great merc sim and really has been the kind of game I've been waiting for.

Well done, Well done indeed.

8.5 out of 10. Would like multiplayer ladders, servers, clans etc... Also multiplayer campaigns. I hope this is game is a hit and they look at funding or kickstarting some of those features.
  31. Nov 26, 2015
    Absolutely love this game. Xcom ironman set in the warhammer universe. Definitely one of my favorite games of all time.
    If you like turn based, tactics, permadeath/injuries, rpgs, this if definitely your game. Excited to see what the dlc has in store.
  32. Nov 26, 2015
    Best buy of the Year.
    Fantastic turn based strategy game, with loads of dept and development og individual warband members.
    Its hardcore in the sense that it has perma injuries, no saves and a game where you really feel the action you take have consequences you cant undo by reloading. For Blood bowl fans as myself its a near must. It does have a very step learning curve for somebody
    Best buy of the Year.
    For Blood bowl fans as myself its a near must.
    It does have a very step learning curve for somebody like myself who have never played the tabletop game. but if you anything like me and like a real challenge, go get it now!!
  33. Nov 24, 2015
    Mordheim is the best turn based tactical RPG game since X-COM! This is a must buy if you're a fan of the "tactics" genre or if you're a fan of Warhammer games!
  34. Jan 2, 2016
    As a patient, and long time strategy gamer, I've found Mordheim: City of the Damned stoking the fires of my gaming soul for the first time in what feels like forever.

Yes the pre-battle load times are bad (really bad), the visual customization options could be deeper, as well as the variety of war bands (only 4 to choose from right now), but in spite of this, I can't stop playing it.

Mordheim taps into that almost intangible element of gaming, where it feels much more enjoyable than the sum of it's parts. It's almost a bit magical the way this game works itself into your subconscious- still demanding you load it up again after you quit out in frustration minutes earlier.

If anyone can remember a game called Gladius back in the PS2/Xbox era, there is something about the feel of that game that has been resurrected here. Skills are less flashy than most similar games and progression feels so gradual it almost feels redundant- investing all your money into a skill that reduces melee damage by 5% on one character can feel underwhelming.

But like Gladius, this is where the game shines. Your warband will improve (if you can keep them alive :P), but at no point does this game become about all powerful skills. The focus remains tightly on your decision making, sense for strategy and using your resources to eke out some kind of advantage. This is a game that encourages you to think about your actions deeply and well in advance- there is definitely a thrill in seeing your plan come together.

I could go on forever, but to finish up, I gave this game a 9 even with the issues this game has as for me, the most important part of gaming is that it's enjoyable, and this game certainly is- I've been hooked since release. I will say that I know not all gamers are as patient as I, so to those I would say proceed with caution.

To the rest of the players that can look past one or two weak spots, this game might just pleasantly surprise you.

Looking forward to what 2016 brings for this game.
  35. FGM
    Jul 8, 2017
    I love Warhammer Universe, I love strategy games, I love tactical games, I love RPG games, I hate this game. P.S. Steam or Gamesworkshop had to hire an army of trolls to write positive reviews.

Pros: Setting, Varied Itemization, customization and progression. Cons: Console Design, Console Design, Console Design, game is a turn based MOBA, slow paced, awkward camera controls and game

Pros: Setting, Varied Itemization, customization and progression.

Cons: Console Design, Console Design, Console Design, game is a turn based MOBA, slow paced, awkward camera controls and game turn progression, game is fairly easy, AI is slow and silly.
  36. Nov 1, 2016
    The game is not easy to handle and master, but the game is really pleasant. It remind me the first x-com :)
    other good news is that the game has been updated recently (oct 2016)

graphics and animation are correct
    sound/voice/music are good
  37. Jan 19, 2016
    One of the best games in 2015, been playing it for 75 hours now and cant stop myself spending more hours everyday. Missions are quite hard and main storyline needs some expanding however the focus is on character creation and improvement so you dont need a story to do so.
  38. Nov 23, 2016
    With a bunch of issues, but highly addictive. DLCs with two new warbands make it even better and the fact that developers still support it adds respect. Loads are faster and technically it is much better game now.
    If you are for single-play only - try trainer with extra gold option. It balances difficulty a bit down.
  39. Apr 3, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best turn based game ever released! I simply love this game! The more you play, more you want to play it! I bought it 2 years ago and i am still playing it. And you Always learn new things and new strategies. You need to think a lot and read the skills very well. This is no child game. After a while you get how the Works, then it became more easier, but still challenging. The game itself is very realistic, if you go alone around the map with a single hero, don't matter how Strong you are you will be overwhelmed, so you need Always walk with your team, with at least 2 man together, and the others not very far away. Objectives are important, but survival is much more important. So the game itself teach you how you should behave if it were a real life battle. it ones character dies and you loose the battle, that one might loose an eye and you might not want use it again in other mission due the loss in stats. But if Always wins battle it is hard to a character get permanent injuries, but not impossible one dies in battle, so you need Always to be very careful.

It is a very fun game. You spent many hours only planing you strategy.

I realy recomend it. Don't give up easily on first difficult of your life! XD
  40. Dec 4, 2017
    Warning this game is not for people who have trouble controlling their rage.
    That said I like it. can't really compare it to xcom but it is at least as addictive.
    It's true that the bum-rush tactic is one of the few valid strategies, so pretty much like the table-top version. Other than that there are some glitchy bits here and there but it does not ruin it for me. I'm now 300+ hours in
    Warning this game is not for people who have trouble controlling their rage.
    I'm now 300+ hours in and I still enjoy it as much as hour one.
    One more thing that is a shame the community seems small and it is hard to have matches online unless you know people who play and are willing.

1. Dec 22, 2016
    Overall, Mordheim: City of the Damned is compelling for strategy fanatics who enjoy a challenge, but doesn't offer much else to other players. Even with the setting of Warhammer behind it, limiting things to a single city with a handful of factions can make things feel small and repetitive. The gameplay is fairly deep, but the steep learning curve will potentially turn off a lot of players.
  2. CD-Action
    Mar 4, 2016
    Just like the tabletop original Mordheim is very difficult. It needs 12 tutorials to introduce you to its complex tactical and strategic layers. [02/2016, p.65]
  3. Feb 19, 2016
    Based on a classic, but bringing new features and perspectives to the table, Mordheim: City of the Damned provides a challenge, with some interesting party and game management thrown in.