1.6

Overwhelming dislike- based on 193 Ratings

1. Sep 16, 2017
    This game is even more greedy than 2k17, everything in mycareer needs VC. You literally start at 60 ovr with no chance of doing well unless you use VC. It doesn't matter if you're wide-open or not, you miss 80% of any shot you take. Layups this year got even worse, you miss 90% of those(unless you have a wide-open aisle to the basket, which never happens). The same issue happens in myteam,This game is even more greedy than 2k17, everything in mycareer needs VC. You literally start at 60 ovr with no chance of doing well unless you use VC. It doesn't matter if you're wide-open or not, you miss 80% of any shot you take. Layups this year got even worse, you miss 90% of those(unless you have a wide-open aisle to the basket, which never happens). The same issue happens in myteam, wide-open or not does not matter, you miss the same amount of shots. Grinding schedules takes too long, and gives practically no rewards. Challenges requires a good team, which is impossible without VC or MT which cannot be acquired without having a decent team. The only thing worth doing is Domination, and even that takes 30 min each game, around 1000 MT each game(One league pack costs 3500 MT lol). Overall, all these implementations take away from the fun of the basketball SIM(it's not supposed to be completely realistic), and just bait people into paying to advance in the game. Expand
  2. Sep 15, 2017
    Greedy cash-grab by 2K, avoid at all costs. They've instituted an absurd micro-transaction system into a fully priced game, where they've cut the VC earnings in half and started charging for every little thing. Really shameless business model, should be free-to-play at this rate.
  3. Sep 19, 2017
    Take Two Interactive has pulled off quite possibly the greediest cash grab in the history of microtransactions. It's a fully priced $60 game (more if you bought one of those special editions) with greedy microtransactions everywhere. This series has been steadily going downhill since the inception of VC, the in game currency used to upgrade your player in MyCareer mode, and now the VCTake Two Interactive has pulled off quite possibly the greediest cash grab in the history of microtransactions. It's a fully priced $60 game (more if you bought one of those special editions) with greedy microtransactions everywhere. This series has been steadily going downhill since the inception of VC, the in game currency used to upgrade your player in MyCareer mode, and now the VC costs are EVERYWHERE in 2K18.

You want to buy a haircut or article of clothing? VC. Not only that, but once purchased and equipped, that item or haircut you just bought is re-locked behind it's VC cost again. None of the game modes pay VC out nearly as much as they used to, making this game a boring grind unless you start hemorrhaging money at 2K to buy VC (don't do that by the way, you could just as easily lose it all the next time you play, the VC vanishing bug is back in full force). You also lose VC in MyCareer after your player meets and hires an agent. That agent will them start taking your hard earned VC for himself. Yup, 2K literally put a VC sink into the storyline and you have no control over it.

MyCareer's storyline is nothing to write home about again, it's pretty awful and is filled with unskippable cutscenes. Yup, even if you've seen them before. Some of them are 10+ minutes in length. Enjoy.

The gameplay itself is fine, but the whole experience feels marred by the fact that you're only playing to earn that VC. It makes the game turn into a chore VERY quickly. Servers are kinda stable, maybe slightly moreso than in recent years past, but they can still glitch easily.

2K had built themselves up quite the series here, rivaling that of EA's NBA Live, and even surpassing it in recent history. NBA 2K18 though is a HUGE step backward and you have 2K's overlords at Take Two Interactive to thank for this. This game is nothing but a lousy cash grab and nothing more. This is clearly a result of the Shark Cards success in GTA V. It's pretty obvious we can only expect worse practices to come in all other Take Two published games. Yes, that means even Red Dead Redemption 2.

I'm not a fan of Electronic Arts, but at least their game won't have microtransactions. If you crave basketball that badly, you might wanna consider NBA Live this year over 2K. NBA 2K18 is just awful.
  4. Sep 16, 2017
    Ohh the greed in 2k knows no boundaries. So I'm supposed to pay 60 dollars for a game filled with microtransactions, among many other issues...you know what F... Y..!! Applying for steam refund
  5. Sep 22, 2017
    full $60 game with micro-transactions. This is unacceptable. Don't buy any game from greedy companies like this. Maybe game companies will figure out that gamers are not going to tolerate their ****
  6. Sep 22, 2017
    The last few years NBA 2K's were one thing but this year crossed the line with the barber shop. Cosmetic stuff that was free before costs a ridiculous amounts of VC now. You can't even preview haircuts. No bonus for playing on high difficulties in MyCareer either. They should be ashamed. Not to mention the MyNBA app giving almost no VC this year. It's blatantly obvious that this is just toThe last few years NBA 2K's were one thing but this year crossed the line with the barber shop. Cosmetic stuff that was free before costs a ridiculous amounts of VC now. You can't even preview haircuts. No bonus for playing on high difficulties in MyCareer either. They should be ashamed. Not to mention the MyNBA app giving almost no VC this year. It's blatantly obvious that this is just to force people to buy VC. You get less for free, earn less and everything costs more. How more obvious could it be? It's a F2P model in a 60$ game. Expand
  7. Sep 17, 2017
    Gameplay is okay. Everything else is extremely irritating. New features not working/untested. The most generic and unskippable cutscenes ever. MyGM story mode is a complete and unplayable mess. Some glaring design issues: For example: The answers to interviews are not presented on the same screen as the question, forcing you to actually read every bit of the generic "I am paid to write 50Gameplay is okay. Everything else is extremely irritating. New features not working/untested. The most generic and unskippable cutscenes ever. MyGM story mode is a complete and unplayable mess. Some glaring design issues: For example: The answers to interviews are not presented on the same screen as the question, forcing you to actually read every bit of the generic "I am paid to write 50 words here." text in order to answer. Progression in MyPlayer without buying VC is virtually impossible and resembles playing a (very grind heavy) MMORPG. PC optimization is just as bad as the years before. Must be hard to write a sports game that does not ignore the user's controller input from time to time. Expand
  8. Sep 22, 2017
    The most shameless implementation of microtrasanctions in AAA games to day. Progressing is near impossible without paying more than the price of the actual game is. The greed is just overwhelming. Do stay away from this publisher.
  9. Sep 18, 2017
    If you want to play a BB game on PC, stick with 2k17 or hark back to 2k15. The controls this year are no where near as responsive (keyboard/mouse combo or 360 Controller) and even leveling up the needed stats will leave you flubbing open layups 99% of the time.

Taking a shot, expect to see the shotbar for guidance ? Well if im lucky the shotbar appears after the shot (And even a good release misses 100% of the time).

And dont get me started on the move to force us to play online more in Career Mode. That really worked well for Simcity 2k (it killed that franchise) wake up to yourselves.
  10. Sep 25, 2017
    Not buying it so I won't support this way gaming industry is going.

Shame on you 2K.

Used to love the series...2k17 was a bit letdown, but this is just awful.
  11. BPC
    Sep 24, 2017
    In what universe is this okay? No, really, what? I've seen games with a business model like this. Hell, I spent hundreds of hours on a game with a business model like this. The difference? That game was free to download, more rewarding, and less greedy than this. Honestly, who thought this was a good idea? I'm kind of at a loss here. The game may be well-built, but unless you're the kindIn what universe is this okay? No, really, what? I've seen games with a business model like this. Hell, I spent hundreds of hours on a game with a business model like this. The difference? That game was free to download, more rewarding, and less greedy than this. Honestly, who thought this was a good idea? I'm kind of at a loss here. The game may be well-built, but unless you're the kind of person who thinks that "whale" is a nice thing to be, please, for the love of god, do not support this. Do not tell 2K games, "It's okay to charge 60 bucks for a game that simultaneously demands constant microtransactions and "pay to win". This is not okay. Don't accept this. Expand
  12. Sep 24, 2017
    Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions Microtransactions
  13. Sep 27, 2017
    Just registered to confirm this ****

Smooth playground, but unskippable cutscenes and vc grinding/mysterious disappearance make me just registered to vote negative. Hope next game get best.
  14. Sep 23, 2017
    Those review sites that gave this game a good score have been paid off and have lost all credibility..

How can you give a game a good score when it's clearly downgraded just to force people in spending more money... BTW the game should be rated M for mature because no kids have credit cards to buy VC.. This crap should be illegal, same with loot crates (gambling) and all micro

This crap should be illegal, same with loot crates (gambling) and all micro transactions in paid games. Dont give us that crap where games cost much more to make because the budgets for these games remain pretty much the same since 1997 not to mention games sell a lot more than they did back then too..

I will never buy another 2k,activision,EA or any other game with loot crates,microtransactions etc... It's time to stop this garbage, gaming sucks now because it is no longer about passion and creativity but full of corporate a-holes .

I remember when I was a kid and was excited for a new generation to come out, now I get worried because it seems like every new gen means a new way to screw us over... How about we all just link our bank accounts to 2ks, then that way they can just take money as they please, not enough money for 2k. Seems like every-time we buy a game these days we are getting raped, I dont like being touched that way 2k. You may foolin everyone else, but you aint foolin me, you may look like a sexy woman but we all know you're a fat hairy slob in disguise, so take your halloween costume off, you look ridiculous.. Just say " give us your money"
    People shouldn't have to take out a 2nd morgage to play games...

Not really a review, more of a rant... but w.e.

screw this game, screw 2k and screw any publisher/dev who accepts these practices...
  15. Sep 23, 2017
    Don'y buy this game. In game microtransactions. If you bought the game, get a refund quickly. To much grind in this game to much money wanted to move forward. DON'T BUY
  16. Nov 12, 2017
    This is a review for MyCareer of NBA2k18.

I've been gaming since about 1995. I saw many different approaches how gaming companies fought pirating their games. And after 20 years I see that some couldn't win the fight and some decided to join their enemy. And these are now pirates themselves (2K, Warner). They are deceiving their fan base and they are making gamers the gameblers
    This is a review for MyCareer of NBA2k18.

They are deceiving their fan base and they are making gamers the gameblers (pun intended). Mostly young ones.

I am old enough not to give in to urge to try to be virtually the best by buying it. In reals sports, doping is gaining unfair advantage over your rivals and it is forbidden. But it is now acceptable in virtual sports.

I didn't mind paying Blizzard monthly for the best mmorpg of all times for many years and they kept gaming fair.

I didn't mind buying NBA 2K every year ... until 2K18 ... when their greed reached the treshold of my wallet. I am not buying next year release. 2K can not keep gaming fair. 2K18 without the possibility to pay for raising your player's attributes may have been the best ever. It could have been hard and so players would feel their achievements. Now when you can buy your progress it feels shallow.

When it comes to gameplay, 2K18 is the best on the market now (with some flaws - NBA players missing 50% of their standing layups).

Story is awful, supporting characters are stupid. Cinematics are cringeworthy. I refuse to believe such idiots could achieve anything meaningful like it is presented in this game.

And something personal from me: I love basketball and I love rock. I couldn't give a flying intercourse about hiphop.

+8 for gameplay
    -5 for story and VC

Verdict da bum tss ... is 3.
  17. Oct 17, 2017
    Well done ruining a series with your avarice, enjoy the short term money and long term abandonment from fans. I will never buy another of these vehicles for microtransactions.

I suppose the painfully cringeworthy and unskippable cutscenes cost a lot of money to make.
  18. Oct 13, 2017
    Es un abuso de las empresas poner micropagos para todo. Se fijan en los usuarios que no se informan por x motivos que aun son miles. El próximo juego vendrá con otra aberración más.

In English:
    It is an abuse of companies to put micropayments for everything. They focus on users who are not informed by x reasons that are still thousands. The next game will come with another aberration.
  19. Nov 9, 2017
    Fu !! The game is just terrible! I do not want to play at all. I do not know what to do. I just have nothing to write on this squalor! Never, do you hear? Never buy this game
  20. Oct 24, 2017
    Pay 2 win microtransaction simulator. 2k games are greedy money apes. Typical 2k game.

Please do not buy this Game, and prevent everyone you know from getting it. Thanks.
  21. Oct 24, 2017
    And another one. Trying to have a cake and eat it. MTs in full priced games, NO! The greed will continue until it breaks the games industry otherwise! Gamers need to make a stand and boycott the purchase completely. Send a message, vote with your cash!
  22. Oct 14, 2017
    Simply put, a premium game with micro-transactions and every ounce of effort that should have gone into the game itself focused on making the gameplay irritating enough to warrant bilking you out of more money to get by it. Rewards have been reduced across the board to make the currency more difficult to obtain without paying extra for it, and conversely costs have gone up to make it moreSimply put, a premium game with micro-transactions and every ounce of effort that should have gone into the game itself focused on making the gameplay irritating enough to warrant bilking you out of more money to get by it. Rewards have been reduced across the board to make the currency more difficult to obtain without paying extra for it, and conversely costs have gone up to make it more annoying to play without it.

Best advice is to give this a pass until 2k stops trying to punch a larger hole in your wallet.
  23. Sep 25, 2018
    Microtransactions are a farce and for a fully priced game it doesn't belong. Stop buying these games with microtransactions.
  24. Jan 24, 2018
    MyCareer is even more frustrating and slow paced, IA is cheated 1 game out of 2 (like the Magic having 70%FG with almost only contested shots, makes me willing to murder my entire neighborhood).
    Felt less fun than 2K17 in general.
    Not buyin 2k19 unless some interesting changes. which one ? Don't care, not my job. *I'm still f**** angry while writing this* And I won't talk in
    Felt less fun than 2K17 in general.

*I'm still f**** angry while writing this*

And I won't talk in details about the VC system. People already said it's **** too and they're daaaaamn right.
  25. Oct 19, 2017
    The game is full of bugs and at times feels broken. I didn't Pay 60 bucks so that I can beta test for 2k. The greed 2k is showing this year with the VC I could almost forgive if the game didn't have so many technical issues.

I have been a fan of 2k basketball since the start, but after this I am hoping EA brings NBA Live to the PC.
  26. Oct 26, 2017
    The game has a good marketing, beautiful graphics, sold an interesting initial idea, only ended up failing miserably due to the following facts:
    -It's Pay to Win, you will only be able to play all modes of the game in its fullness if you have and still have a great chance to pass anger
    Unreal Physics -Script or difficulty (Hall of Fame) extremely op in any gameplay in the game, more
    Unreal Physics
    -Script or difficulty (Hall of Fame) extremely op in any gameplay in the game, more than the nba 2k17
    -Mycarrer has no way to skip the scenes of "history" (which is actually a great merchant to sponsors never seen before), his closet from time to time things come and never appear again, when all the players arrive in the last room of the cpu team saw Kevin Durant Closer you will see until Dwight Howard hitting ball three
    - Defending well in this game is impossible, try it yourself (even if you are playing with Gary Payton)
    -Direction of passes is sometimes changed, your player hits the ball where you do not want and loses balls that no amateur basketball player would lose
    -For the Patchs that have been released so far it seems that the game will continue to suck, nba 2k17 has its flaws but it is extremely better in the matter of cpu qi and also physics that in this game is unreal

Well these were the points I got together I recommend not to buy this game until all of this is done (which is practically impossible), if you regret it kkkkkk, NBA 2K18 IS NOT A NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION SIMULATOR, MUCH LESS THAN BASKETBALL AND IS FAR AWAY TO BE

SAUDADES NBA 2K14
  27. Jan 6, 2018
    PAY TO WIN ... Es una basura... se acaban de cargar una franquicia que era perfecta, por ser codiciosos.
  28. Jan 14, 2018
    DO NOT BUY.
    I have lived for 29 years and this was the worst money I have ever spent, and the worst game I have ever played. I feel dirtier for knowing I was 2K's little play thing.
  29. May 25, 2018
    Greed. Greed everywhere. This game's progression system has deliberately made it harder to earn in game currency in an effort to convince players into spending real life money. Total B.S move by Take-Two
  30. Jun 11, 2018
    hackers, cheaters, micro-transactions, gambling, server lag, game lag, unoptimized game

How much did 2k paid these dumb critics to score this game as high as this?
  31. Sep 20, 2018
    One of the more disappointing games ive played. In one way there is nothing wrong with the quality of it. Yet the forced microtransactions is so extreme that it becomes near impossible to play. Thankfully I was able to return my copy. I wont be buying another game from them.
  32. Nov 10, 2018
    The only positives in this game are the soundtracks, the voice over work and the graphics. That's about it. The gameplay and mechanics are terrible. They feel like you're a grade schooler playing real NBA players. If I wanted to feel like a real life basketball player, I would go play basketball in real life. I play these games because of the single player career modes. If that'sThe only positives in this game are the soundtracks, the voice over work and the graphics. That's about it. The gameplay and mechanics are terrible. They feel like you're a grade schooler playing real NBA players. If I wanted to feel like a real life basketball player, I would go play basketball in real life. I play these games because of the single player career modes. If that's what interests you, I would highly recommend not playing this game. My stats are damn near maxed out and I still only make 10% of my shots. I built a character designed to make distant shots and that still isn't enough. The MyCareer experience has put me off from playing online or any other mode the "game" has to offer. Also, don't listen to critic reviews. They all sound like they haven't played the game. Expand
  33. Sep 23, 2017
    Pay 2 win microtransaction simulator. 2k games are greedy money whores. Worst NBA 2kXX game ever?

Also the devs tried to influence The Sixth Axis to remove their low review score. Oh how low they've sunk.
  34. Sep 22, 2017
    We're getting really sick of virtual currencies and microtransactions in premium games. These are features that used to be free that they are now charging exorbitant amounts of money for to an audience that frequently includes children.
  35. Sep 21, 2017
    It's a good game, but it's fraught with imbalances. The shooting, layup, and dunking systems need considerable tweaks off the bat. This is a serious blow against the potential of the game because you will struggle out of the gate as a 60 overall being thrust into PRO difficulty from the get-go. To overcome all of that with a slightly broken scoring system is tough to swallow. Wide openIt's a good game, but it's fraught with imbalances. The shooting, layup, and dunking systems need considerable tweaks off the bat. This is a serious blow against the potential of the game because you will struggle out of the gate as a 60 overall being thrust into PRO difficulty from the get-go. To overcome all of that with a slightly broken scoring system is tough to swallow. Wide open threes, as a three-point specialist, hardly ever drop. I've never dunked in an open lane, despite regularly dunking in practice. Layups have a timer for some reason that is not visible with a shot bar that you'd have with regular shot attempts. You can mess up wide open scoring in all kinds of ways if you put your mind to it. Rookie difficulty is also gone for some reason, so you better figure out how to score or you're going to ride the bench a lot. Not all is lost, though. The team play mechanics are excellent this year. I never played 2k17, but the movement, pace, and feel of the gameplay of this game is rather dynamic and smooth. As you level your overall rating, you do feel improvements in your player's abilities, so I foresee a slew of MyCareer MVPs when they all suddenly knock down every shot they've been putting up the entire season once patches drop. I won't even touch the online portions. I don't like to play Park, usually because 2K's servers are notoriously, and historically, unreliable. They've been experiencing severe lag and spiking, sometimes even freezing, on all platforms since release. Not surprising. MyTeam and MyGM are garnering favorable reviews from those particular diehards in the 2K communities. This could be a really great game with some tuning and tweaking that might be achievable by release time if 2K stopped releasing a new game every 365 days. Luckily, I haven't had my player deleted like so many XBONE users have reported, but 2K is starting to respond by restoring characters, patching things like expensive haircuts (don't get me started), and generally trying to encourage constructive feedback. There are a lot of angry hoopers out there - I hope they can be appeased, because I'm liking the game with all its flaws, and I want to love it before they start pushing 2k19. Expand
  36. Jul 1, 2018
    The game is not bad. Graphically it looks good. it plays well especially the new dribble system. However too much online features and of course micro transactions. seriously i play this offline most at times and i cant even access even MyCareer. come on now 2k...
  37. Oct 22, 2017
    One of the worst sport games, along with Fifa 18. Retrogression isn't over? Everything is bad, 2k series is literally dead. Don't spend your time and money for this...
  38. Sep 17, 2019
    F...k aggresive monetization!!!!!!
    EA equales EVIL atm..... ....................

Generally favorable reviews - based on 6 Critic Reviews

1. Games Master UK
    Nov 2, 2017
    Another annual masterclass in sports games, but the VC grind is edging close to breaking point. [Nov 2017, p.71]
  2. Oct 8, 2017
    NBA 2K18 is currently the best sports simulation. However, the weak technology and the omnipresent virtual currency are very disturbing.
  3. Oct 6, 2017
    Silly microtransactions, but fantastic gameplay - a must-have for every NBA-fan.