7.4

1. Nov 25, 2021
    Game is a gem, still needs some polish, but devs are listening and improving constantly. Try some single player and jump into cloud game MP, that is where fun is coming from!
  2. Nov 11, 2021
    Seriously great game. I've been following Soren Johnson since his work as lead designer on Civ 4, he seemed to really get how to balance a game. Offworld Trading Company was decent but didn't quite click with me, partly just the genre. However, with Old World Soren (and his team) have excelled. The game mechanics are beautifully balanced. Techs, resources, expansion, happiness, warfare,Seriously great game. I've been following Soren Johnson since his work as lead designer on Civ 4, he seemed to really get how to balance a game. Offworld Trading Company was decent but didn't quite click with me, partly just the genre. However, with Old World Soren (and his team) have excelled. The game mechanics are beautifully balanced. Techs, resources, expansion, happiness, warfare, religion, your characters who will lead your empire, your armies and govern your cities, it all works together very elegantly. Potentially there should be a slightly bigger cost to expansion, eg new cities should be a bigger drain until they grow enough to pull their own weight, but in general I think it's a masterpiece.

Thoroughly enjoying it. I'm a fan of TBS including Civilization, Endless Legends, Alpha Centauri, even back to Masters of Magic.

If you like Turn Based Strategy games then I strongly encourage you to try Old World.
  3. Nov 27, 2021
    * TLDR: The best of Civ 6 and Crusader Kings 3 packed into one game.
    + Biggest positive: Orders system limiting number of orders per turn makes for interesting choices, forcing you to focus your turns on what matters most that turn. Also the characters systems doesn't overwhelm you like in CK3, only focuses on the most important characters.
    - Biggest negative: The game's performance gets
    * TLDR: The best of Civ 6 and Crusader Kings 3 packed into one game.
    - Biggest negative: The game's performance gets slow in the later stages of the game, even on the best computers (I'm currently playing on the latest Razer, top of the line)
  4. Jun 14, 2020
    I've been playing on easy difficulty as leader of Babylonia, and am currently 150 years into my 200-year stint with a comfortable lead. I've built a dozen cities and conquered a half-dozen more. I've found this game diverting and without major flaws. It's as enjoyable as any strategy game I've played (and I've done at least a half-dozen).
  5. Jul 24, 2021
    One of the best strategies out there (not just 4x, but in general). That's coming from a man who spent 1000+ hrs in games from civ franchise (from 1 to 6), 1000+ hrs in paradox strategies like EU4, Stellaris, CK 2/3 and HoI IV, 100+ hrs in Total War games, and countless hours in other strategies like Endless franchise, HoMM III and others. If you like a 4k or strategy games in general youOne of the best strategies out there (not just 4x, but in general). That's coming from a man who spent 1000+ hrs in games from civ franchise (from 1 to 6), 1000+ hrs in paradox strategies like EU4, Stellaris, CK 2/3 and HoI IV, 100+ hrs in Total War games, and countless hours in other strategies like Endless franchise, HoMM III and others. If you like a 4k or strategy games in general you most definitely will like it, as it brings numerous improvements and innovations for 4X genre. Its main systems (events, characters, families, orders, trading, production) are quite robust and well-thought-out and fundamentals are strong.
    The game kept my attention for the entirety of my runs (I'm well over 150 hrs of playing time currently) - the thing I can not say about some other strategy games. Some of them are too long (EU4), in some (like in the Total War series) you get to snowball very fast getting a decisive advantage pretty early, and then the game becomes a chore (because you already "won", but you need to keep playing for a long time to actually claim it) and Old World has none of it - 200 max turns, perfect victory conditions and overall balance of early-mid-late game are all just in the right spot for me. It focuses on one era and does it well, providing a tight, well-tuned experience. Game systems have a lot of depth - so you will learn many new things even after hundreds of hours. Good things are to be said about the overall balance of the game - compared to ...some... (YES, I'M POINTING AT YOU CIV VI), where devs release new civilizations or features without any after-thought of actually balancing it. All things I said apply even to the highest difficulty and I'm really glad it does, as difficulty can really skew perception, alter your playing style and limit things that can work - here it actually remains about the same - just more challenging (however, I have to say, for most players, even veterans, this game will be much more difficult than Civ - AI is not amazing but better (especially combat AI) and, while getting more advantages from the start, it doesn't "cheat" afterwards like in Civ, just gets a head start. There are a lot of options, so you can adjust it for yourself just fine. Replayability is pretty much endless, you already most certainly can sink hundreds and thousands of hours into it.
    The game soundtrack is awesome, and the overall graphic design of the game has a coherent, theme-fitting style to it.
    The main criticism for me would be performance issues (the game is so good I actually don't mind, but they are real - it runs worse than any other strategy game out there I've played, tho graphics are nothing special, some would even call it "outdated") and overall "scope" so to say. It is just an initial release and the dev team is quite small (but very passionate and actively engaging with the community), so there are not what many different civs or overall content in terms of raw numbers (only 7 civs, 5 tribes, the overall number of systems/units e.t.c.), however, to me it is not a downside, because it makes the game tighter, civs balanced, each system having a meaningful place, tho some people may have a different opinion.
    The tutorial is quite bare-bones as of July 2021, but I definitely got hang of its systems just fine, and the learning curve was quite smooth, but my perception on this subject is definitely skewed.
    Overall, I will without hesitation say that Old World is one of my favourites now and the best strategy game I've played in a while, so despite not being perfect in every aspect, it gets 10/10 personally for me. It is awesome and you should try it too.
  6. Aug 4, 2021
    I am an active Civ 4 veteran and have desperately tried to replace Civ 4 with all other competitors (including V and VI) but they simply never managed to hook me. They were easy and obviously exploitable on so many levels, especially due to 1UPT and slow units. Also, all these games, even Civ 4 suffer from dragging the game from a strong start to inevitable victory. Innovative ordersI am an active Civ 4 veteran and have desperately tried to replace Civ 4 with all other competitors (including V and VI) but they simply never managed to hook me. They were easy and obviously exploitable on so many levels, especially due to 1UPT and slow units. Also, all these games, even Civ 4 suffer from dragging the game from a strong start to inevitable victory. Innovative orders system and double victory (you have the double victory points of the nearest rival) are a fantastic way to avoid that. In early game each tile, leader stat, courtiers count, and in the successful late game you still have so many options but not enough resources and orders to do it all. That makes each turn meaningful. I have played 3 games so far and the next one is finally going to be on the highest difficulty, and it is fun to see that new troubles will arise (rebels and much more raids). The game lacks some polish, but fundamentals are there and I hope that the game can make a leap like Civ4 did with Beyond the Sword expansion. Expand
  7. May 11, 2020
    It's early, as I am only in my first game, but this one has all sorts of innovations to the Civ-type 4x game. Orders make you prioritize what you want to do each turn. Events really add some interesting decisions regularly, and having a line of succession really is a game changer. I feel like it freshens the game periodically, and really adds to how you plan. Overall, it just feelsIt's early, as I am only in my first game, but this one has all sorts of innovations to the Civ-type 4x game. Orders make you prioritize what you want to do each turn. Events really add some interesting decisions regularly, and having a line of succession really is a game changer. I feel like it freshens the game periodically, and really adds to how you plan. Overall, it just feels like you have a real civilization interacting with other real civilizations. It sounds like they are going to add a ton more events to the game (it's early access), so that should help with replayability. I'm starting with an 8 since I'm early, but I think the final score will almost certainly be higher. Expand
  8. Sep 24, 2021
    An absolutely fantastic 4x game taking the best elements of Civ4 and adding in new elements. A character system where you age and die and are replaced by your heir (better hope you have one or it's game over) and have other members of your ruling families to give jobs to, influence, imprison or assassinate. The orders system which means you can't always move every unit each turn and haveAn absolutely fantastic 4x game taking the best elements of Civ4 and adding in new elements. A character system where you age and die and are replaced by your heir (better hope you have one or it's game over) and have other members of your ruling families to give jobs to, influence, imprison or assassinate. The orders system which means you can't always move every unit each turn and have to decide what is the best way to use your available units. The economic system where you can always buy and sell resources but the price changes depending on how much trading is done, not just by yourself but the other players in the game. Great multiplayer system that just works and keeps the game moving swiftly. So much depth and optional complexity that you can still learn new things even after playing for thousands of hours. I love this game. Expand
  9. Jul 15, 2021
    A unique game...the comparison with Crusader Kings can be misleading in my opinion...it has families and is event driven but thats it....noone compared it with kinda turn based RTS....so I do...it has also a lot of options for setupa game you like...that is very different game experiences come from different settings...its a lot of fun in Multiplayer....last but not least excellent modA unique game...the comparison with Crusader Kings can be misleading in my opinion...it has families and is event driven but thats it....noone compared it with kinda turn based RTS....so I do...it has also a lot of options for setupa game you like...that is very different game experiences come from different settings...its a lot of fun in Multiplayer....last but not least excellent mod system...for people willing to make mods or maps it offers a lot of tools Expand
  10. Nov 25, 2021
    Old World is a refreshingly fresh look at the 4X genre. Focused on antiquity and classical era around the Mediterranean with a strong historical theme, Old World has its player take the role of successive rulers from the royal line of a new kingdom striving to make its place among established empires.
    It introduces a very compelling emergent storytelling driven by thousands of distinct events and a rich opinions and relations system that reinvents 4X diplomacy.
    The order systems (action points) lends weight to every player decisions, its impact on combat and tactics leads to very fine tactical play.
    Its AI is also quite capable, in particular at providing good challenge in combat.
    In the end, the game provides the richest and most innovative 4X experience to fans of the genre, strong and immersive storytelling, beautiful graphics, and will undoubtedly encourage curiosity about ancient history.
    Finally, the experience works remarkably well in multiplayer as well.
    It is undoubtedly the most prominent masterpiece of the 4X genre to me.
  11. Dec 1, 2021
    Game of the year!!
    The game is solid, from a reputable team. The soundtrack is sick and the gameplay is everything you would expect from this genre
  12. Mar 1, 2021
    It adds some interesting mechanics that add some variety to the genre, but other aspects suffer. As development continues it might improve somewhat. It's not a bad game by any means. I'm a fan of the genre, but this just doesn't bring quite enough to the table. it seems very gimmicky, slow and lacking in meaningful strategic variety.
  13. Nov 22, 2021
    I played this game for a while and i spent my time on nothing. No graphics, no story and othing
  14. Jul 4, 2021
    Wonderful 4X game. It's a great combination of Civ gameplay and Crusader Kings. Succession lines matter, all of your family and courtiers have personalities and can go down different paths.

There's a ton of mechanics in this game, but they aren't overwhelming like some others in the genre. Highly recommended for any 4X gamer.
  15. Nov 22, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is waste of money and took may precious time for nothing so I recommend every one tow not buy it. Expand
  16. Jun 26, 2020
    the best strategy game
    real characters
    real maps
    best gameplay
    great stories
    special for every one
  17. Jul 22, 2021
    good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good good maybe legend
  18. May 2, 2022
    The original deal with Epic was definitely pro-consumer," said Timothy Bender, CEO

its not pro consumer to limit to a single platform.
  19. Aug 4, 2022
    I love this game, good 4x Strategy game with a fresh wind, and I already spent quite more time playing Old World than I ever did playing Civilization VI.

Just a shame it took so long to be released on Steam, I could have gotten it so much earlier.
  20. Dec 1, 2021
    An absolute must for all strategy enthusiasts. If you need a game that will keep you glued to your seat and strategizing for hours, then you have found it with this title.
  21. Jun 7, 2022
    Let's call this game The Blandening of Civ & Crusader Kings. That's about what you get. It's okay, but it didn't hook me. Because I've played this game before. It's just a straight reskin of these other games. I want to like it, but it carries the same flaws of these other games without really introducing anything that's new. So it feels bland and empty, and ultimately, just not much fun.
  22. Jul 13, 2022
    For the players loving 4X games, buy it, you won't regret it. Old World does so many things better than Civ 5 (have not played 6) :

- Orders system that is incredible, adding so much depth and strategy - Unit lvl up is better (war is not required, training is) - Workers build buildings - Cities produce citizens and workers (farmers, workers, miner...) - AI is on par with the Vox

- Orders system that is incredible, adding so much depth and strategy
    - Unit lvl up is better (war is not required, training is)
    - Workers build buildings
    - Cities produce citizens and workers (farmers, workers, miner...)
    - AI is on par with the Vox Populi Civ 5 mod, really competent at playing the game
    - Characters are important and relationships count, adding some Crusader Kings layer to the game impacting diplomacy
    - 3500 RNG events adding so much flavor and role play to the genre

The game is better than Civ 5 Vox Populi in what it does : offering a great 4x during the antiquity period and adding relationships/characters/events flavors with a great vanilla AI.

Civ 5 VP is still a strong 4x if you like, as myself, go from the antiquity to the modern era but if Mohawk Games decides to release another 4x with all eras, that game would be the best 4x existing, plain and simple.
  23. Dec 1, 2021
    Great game! We need more devs like this that put out quality games that end up being hours long time sinks. Just one more turn (until the sun rises).
  24. Dec 1, 2021
    Absolutely amazing game.
    Lots of fun playing it and was a nice change of pace from what I usually play.
    Excited to see what the team does next!
  25. Dec 8, 2021
    This strategy game has a lot of playability. so many events make you feel that you are playing a different game every time. The AI is well balanced and the art is amazing.
  26. Dec 9, 2021
    I spent a few hours in laying this game. It feels that the developers put in a lot of thought in how to present history. One can feel the love for strategy in this game. I enjoyed this more than any game I played in the last few years of my life. I just beat Assyria as Greece and will play Egypt next for the holiday break.
  27. Dec 24, 2021
    I'm not into strategic games much, but man did this game change my mind. Of course no game is perfect and some things need to be polished, but the dev are listening and fixing things. 10/10

Generally favorable reviews - based on 9 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 30, 2021
    Old World has its moments, but it's a very niche offering. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't hardcore about 4X games because the learning curve is brutal. However, if you've played the rest and you're looking for something new, and especially if the overload of stats is something you find compelling, check out Old World. At the very least, you get to enjoy Christopher Tin's majestic soundtrack.
  2. Jul 15, 2021
    A thoroughly integrated and refreshing mix of classic 4X turn-based strategy, role-playing elements and varied events.
  3. Jul 14, 2021
    Old World is a smaller-scale 4X game than its Civilization forbearers but its new ideas add both interesting depth and intimidating complexity.