7.7

1. Sep 18, 2021
    I wouldn't recommend this in its current state and even after the bugs are fixed the actual game suffers from serious balancing and pacing problems.

+ Writing is solid, although spoiled by the occasional 'cartoonish' good/evil option. + Voice acting is great. + Music is on point - some of the best game music I've had in a long time. + Itemisation is very cool - less about the numbers

+ Voice acting is great.
    + Music is on point - some of the best game music I've had in a long time.
    + Itemisation is very cool - less about the numbers and more about the effects.
    + Owlcat really nailed the 'wow' moments of the story.

- Difficulty is extremely erratic. Some mini bosses are easier than regular encounters in the same area.
    - Save scumming is a must - many fights hinge on save or die spells (both for and against the player).
    - Some fights require very specific meta knowledge and builds.
    - Lots of enemies cause permanent debuffs. Not difficult to deal with, just extremely annoying.
    - Many companions feel forgotten as they go long stretches without any interaction / quests.
    - Many of the companions are simply unlikable with little redeeming features.
    - Bag of Tricks mod is mandatory due to broken quests and bugs.
    - Game breaking bugs including broken quests. graphical issues, and cut scene problems.
    - Some skill/save requirements are simply ridiculous.
    - Game requires regular restarts as it slows down after a couple hours played.
    - Crusader section feels very underwhelming. Basically Kingmaker but with a diluted HoMM game tacked on.
    - Game guides are basically mandatory due to the amount of missable things, and the poor telegraphing for quest/campaign progression.
    - You need to manually save regularly due to this as well.
    - Secret/True ending requirements often feel arbitrary rather than something you could consciously and naturally work towards.

Bugs aside, the game just isn't fun or challenging, rather it's frustrating and tedious. Every enjoyable moment I've had in this game has quickly been spoiled soon after either through poorly planned quests or tedious fights.

It's a real shame Owlcat seems to have focused so much of their attention on the poorly implemented mechanics, instead of (where I think their true strength might lie) on the story and character development. What little gems of enjoyment WotR has to offer are drowned in the mire of sheer tedium the poorly designed mechanics and gameplay offers. It takes the worst from Kingmaker and expands on it, while seeming to shelve what was good.

WotR is an exhausting mess of over-tuned fights and missed opportunities in character driven story.
  2. Jan 31, 2022
    Boring characters, lackluster gameplay, and left-wing message couldn't maintain my interest for long.
  3. Jan 17, 2022
    It's a mediocre RPG, which reeks of reddit-wokes. It even has furries. I kid you not. Furries, women being all the strong characters and leaders of course per the NPC: "duh I read a book once which told me im opressed even though im not", "diversity" - only meaning less white characters of course and men being wimpy meek and anime-looking.

The story is incredibly unforgetable to the

The story is incredibly unforgetable to the point I cannot remember most of it cause it was so unmemorable (and no it's not my memory - I remember good RPG:s very well and i've played pretty much every single RPG there is).
    In short - invading demon army (for some reason), never heard that before.... eh, yeah that's it. Great job on the story-writing there. Also be prepared for wall of texts which doesn't really add much to the story and could be said with 10 rows of text instead of 100.

It has beautiful environments and is well made graphically, but nothing out of the ordinary good. It has some good RPG moments with humor, like the skeletal merchant. But most of the quests are very uninteresting and forgetable, yet again.

The characters are incredibly bland and uninteresting with few exceptions.

The leveling system is confusing and annoying. The combat-system as per "oldchool" baldur's gate style, is generally bad. It's not cool to make a D&D leveling system - it's just annoying. The combat, is still the same mess as in all Baldur's gate type of games. Slow, clunky and doesn't feel good.

The music and sound-design is overall very good, but a bit obnoxious at certain points. For example the combat music needs to be much more mellow in longer fights.

The alright stuff:

Combat
    CHARACTERS (big one)
    + Everything else.
  4. Sep 23, 2021
    Game-destroying bugs hold back an otherwise fantastic RPG. It is clear that this will be a true classic if and when the game-crippling bugs get fixed, but each new patch (there have been five in the first three weeks) seems to introduce new bugs as they try to address others. And there are hundreds of major bugs, many that will prevent the game from advancing. Worse, an unrelated actionGame-destroying bugs hold back an otherwise fantastic RPG. It is clear that this will be a true classic if and when the game-crippling bugs get fixed, but each new patch (there have been five in the first three weeks) seems to introduce new bugs as they try to address others. And there are hundreds of major bugs, many that will prevent the game from advancing. Worse, an unrelated action a player takes can create a game-breaking bug that only shows up dozens of hours later. In other cases, major character skills and abilities--the number and diversity of which are hallmark of this game--simply don't work. You spend great effort picking these abilities, but perhaps 1/3 are bugged. And the items are bugged too. Equip a certain amulet at the wrong time, and a bug renders a party-member permanently unconscious. That sword that is supposed to do 6-36 extra damage? Its doing four extra damage. And good luck making the many, extremely important plot choices about which army upgrades to take, or relics to chose--the tooltips that explain the choice and the permanent consequences read "" about half the time. Stuff like this is everywhere in Wrath of the Righteous. I've had progress stopped (and restarted the game) three times now--in three completely different ways--and I would rate my experience with this game as "very poor." In a game this ambition, with so much going on, bugs are expected. But the game is mostly unplayable at this time. I believe that a few months of bug fixes may make this game a true gem. Expand
  5. Sep 11, 2021
    A bug forced me to replay four hours of the game. Four tedious hours where I had to battle boss after boss after boss. It actually took me more time the second run through. I uninstalled and I wont return until they fix these games. This is the last time I buy an Owlcat game at launch.
  6. Sep 15, 2021
    Since they just deleted my politically incorrect review, I give the game a solid 1 score, because free speech is nothing now but a crime.

Better now? But to be a little bit helpful: it is a massive downgrade to Kingmaker. Worse story, gameplay, characters, but more than anything else, the "Crusade" is absolutely, hilariously bad. Did you dislike the card management in Kingmaker?

Better now?

Did you dislike the card management in Kingmaker? That's was absolutely cool in comparison.

Don't fall for the "amazing" reviews. I bet they got paid for writing them.
  7. Oct 6, 2021
    This is a game about quantity not quality.
    This is a game about quantity not quality.
    And the quality of the game drops the further you advance in the game. This looks a good business strategy consider the critics usually don't play the full game. Neither the majority of the player base. But is a toxic practice that jeopardize the people that is most interested in the game. Is not the first time they did it. Kingmaker was the same.

Speaking about kingmaker; this game is about the same. Very few improvements from the last game. With the old bugs. The bugs in this game is not like texture popping . This game has save corruption, quests that crash the game and gameplay bugs that compromise your progression.

I really like crpgs and there´s only a few over there. Putting in perspective, when I look to Solasta that was a indie game and with all the limitation delivered a good game. This one fails to delivers a good experience
  8. Sep 9, 2021
    Refunded my game.

-Crusade has autobattle but the AI plays so bad its hilarious. They only put it there for show. IT can lose to even an army of paraplegic,lame,blind,deaf, one armed demons. No joke -bugs bugs bugs left and right. Sure a game like this will have bugs but this is ridiculous. IT HAS MORE BUGS THAN STARSHIP TROOPERS SON, KAPISH? -if you put crusade on auto you miss a
    Refunded my game.

-if you put crusade on auto you miss a lot of stuff, mundane stuff like mythic paths :D

- if you play crusade manually you might need to restart your game lmao

-if you dont play dodge tanker prepare to die. alot

-almost everyone in game is gay??? lezbo ork? anevia is a trap? storyteller gaylord? wtf lmao

- tons of bugs,feats that arent working,mythic abilities that are crap and writing by Cringy McCringicton who wrote CRINZILLA VS CRINGEMONKE

TLDR

wait 2 years for the super duper ultra combo deluxe edition that will include 82 patches, otherwise you will be sorely dissapointed and angry. Also if you dont like reading "hey i m gay, this is so gay, you gay?HMU" and stuff like that avoid.
  9. Sep 9, 2021
    The game in its current state is unplayable after 50+ hours... which feel like a waste when you meet the horribly unbalanced army management system (which leaves all your troops far weaker than enemy's - and disallows you to even 'stack' them to actually do any damage since generals can allow only 3 types of troops... but the game gives you like 20 types of troops, with 3 soldiers each).The game in its current state is unplayable after 50+ hours... which feel like a waste when you meet the horribly unbalanced army management system (which leaves all your troops far weaker than enemy's - and disallows you to even 'stack' them to actually do any damage since generals can allow only 3 types of troops... but the game gives you like 20 types of troops, with 3 soldiers each).

The bugs, untested scenes are many and between - the most hilarious I recall is still the 'spar' scene where my character hit like a wet noodle but the NPC actually did hit - sadly not enough to do damage since she auto healed from the -1 HP each time. So I literally had to leave the game running for 3 hours until my character rolled enough of NAT 20ies to actually do damage to the NPC and finish the encounter. Mildly amusing at first, extremely frustrating at the end.

The beginning of the game was amusing - and honestly would make the game a proper alternative to my beloved Baldur's Gate games - but the bugs and army management system completely messed up the enjoyment for me. And, sadly - you cannot progress story-wise without spending hours upon hours on army management. In the current state, the game just locks me down where I cannot progress because of said army sim - feeling like the 50 or so hours of my time have been completely and utterly wasted.
  10. Oct 4, 2021
    J'ai joué en TPT, classe cavalier rampart / il est pour l'instant FULL BUG

Les + : - Un début de mise en scène sympa - L'histoire est binaire (gentil/méchant) mais on comprends bien les enjeux - Le moteur du jeu est plus fluide - De multiples choix de classes mais..... Les - : - De mutiples ILLUSIONS de choix de classe, car elles ne fonctionnent clairement pas toutes dans le
    J'ai joué en TPT, classe cavalier rampart / il est pour l'instant FULL BUG

Les + :
    - Un début de mise en scène sympa
    - L'histoire est binaire (gentil/méchant) mais on comprends bien les enjeux
    - Le moteur du jeu est plus fluide
    - De multiples choix de classes mais.....
    Les - :
    - De mutiples ILLUSIONS de choix de classe, car elles ne fonctionnent clairement pas toutes dans le contexte du jeu (50%) et/ou ne marchent pas (mécaniques)
    - Pleins de gros bug, exemple la monture (cheval) bug, impossible de chargé ou lancer un javelot avec sa monture....
    - Système de croisade sympa dans le contexte du jeu, mais totalement inutile et surtout très lourds en informations sachant que le jeu est déjà très lourds en infos.
    - Chaque sort est décrit en 20 lignes alors qu'on peut les écrires en 3 lignes + des informations manquantes dans les infos des sorts + des sorts qui ne fonctionnent pas, journal inclus
    - Comme kingmaker, l'unique stratégie/difficulté du jeu se résume à un combat de buff/débuff, avec une interface illisible
    - Globalement, le MJ est très mauvais et aura comme obsession et unique challenge de vous mettre pleins de malus de stats, en ne vous donnant pas les informations simples et claires pour les enlever
    - Ennemies peu varié + de gros déséquilibre de difficulté + un jet de dès clairement à l'avantage des ennemies....C'est simple je n'ai jamais vue un ennemies faire un echec critique et moi j'ai réussis à en avoir jusque 3 d'affilé
  11. Oct 16, 2021
    Not even a game. A huge amount of crap is thrown in and no attempt is even made to develop an actual game. Let alone balance it. I could only stand 12 hours before uninstalling. What a waste of money. I have a gaming machine and the graphics are underwhelming. Performance also has apparently not been optimized. The story is completely linear. How people can compare this to Baldurs Gate isNot even a game. A huge amount of crap is thrown in and no attempt is even made to develop an actual game. Let alone balance it. I could only stand 12 hours before uninstalling. What a waste of money. I have a gaming machine and the graphics are underwhelming. Performance also has apparently not been optimized. The story is completely linear. How people can compare this to Baldurs Gate is beyond me. There is nothing like the open world there. There is nothing interesting here. And it is SO boring. The so-called story is unimaginative and the dialog and text is needlessly long, boring, and often irrelevant. I could stand that if it built an atmosphere but no. There is no visibility into the choices to be made which makes them seem meaningless. Obviously a lot of people like this kind of thing so to each his own. The tutorial is completely inadequate and buggy. Leveling up is is a chore because none of the UI makes sense. Spend your money on Divinity Original Sin II . Even replaying that or Baldurs Gate would be better. He'll. Play Planescape Tourment or Heroes of Might and Magic instead. I do not understand how this can be rated 85%. It sets the genre back instead of advancing it. Maybe the bar is low. I've never been so disappointed in a "game". Maybe it gets better but I devoted 12 hours of my life to see if it would get better. It's a boring, incoherent mishmash. Have I said "boring" enough? The combat system is extremely awkward and the enemies trivial and uninteresting. Expand
  12. Oct 7, 2021
    Owlcat are scammers. This really should be a beta or Early Access title. They sell you an unfinished, bug-ridden mess just like they did with Kingmaker. They apparently have no shame.
  13. Sep 10, 2021
    Ну вот вы серьёзно?!В первой части всё портило королевство...которое ломалось, баговалось...Чуть где то провтыкал и всё. переигрывай всю игру. Тут же - бои отрядов на карте!Господи, я просто хочу поиграть в РПГ, а не в Героев меча и магии. Для чего это сделано?!Почему у меня только 3 типа войск???Как открыть остальные???Почему в отряде вмещается только 3 типа войск?!!! Если честно - то яНу вот вы серьёзно?!В первой части всё портило королевство...которое ломалось, баговалось...Чуть где то провтыкал и всё. переигрывай всю игру. Тут же - бои отрядов на карте!Господи, я просто хочу поиграть в РПГ, а не в Героев меча и магии. Для чего это сделано?!Почему у меня только 3 типа войск???Как открыть остальные???Почему в отряде вмещается только 3 типа войск?!!! Если честно - то я уже почти готов забросить. Хотя совсем недавно загорелся игрой. Держите жирный 0!!!! Expand
  14. Sep 13, 2021
    Could be playable if difficulty balance really mate with settings! Well doom clock and oversized enemy groups forcing you to loose from beginning of the game. Defending town is totally useless without META characters. I call this as a bad design. Even I read articles to how I should play in act 1 . Anyway, game is not funny at all with bad gameplay design.
  15. Oct 14, 2021
    Tedious., buggy mess. They are obviously working hard on making the game stable and balanced, none of that addresses the fact this game was nowhere near ready for launch at release. Worse, every patch breaks something that was working trying to correct something which wasn't.

Can no longer recommend.

Check it in a year.
  16. Sep 22, 2021
    These developers are a bunch of cynical hypocrites. After their first game was universally acknowledged to be a bug ridden unplayable broken mess with ridiculous balancing and absolutely unnecessary and tedious strap on in the form of kingdom management they go out and make another game with the same "features" again.

Instead of apologizing for selling people unfinished product with

Instead of apologizing for selling people unfinished product with game breaking bugs all over the place they count their money from the high volume of sales.

Ok let's get down to pluses and minuses.

Good things
    - some features never before seen in RPGs like mounted combat, mythic paths/levels
    - the feeling of adventure

Bad things
    - this game is bugged. Like really bugged. Game breaking bugs, visual glitches, missing features, broken class abilities, performance issues, etc.
    - bloated selection of classes for the sake of numbers. Who need so many classes if the majority of them have copy pasted spells/abilities?
    - awful implementation of crusade management system with lack of proper tutorial and any significant impact on the game
    - bloated enemy stats/unbalanced encounters for the sake of calling this game "difficult". So called "difficulty" comes down to reloading the battle and applying the right buffs and preparing the needed spells.
    - atrocious writing.
    - Leftist agenda al over the place. Female dominated story with gays/lesbians and whatnot. It's an LGBT dream come true.

My advice to you - ignore this game and this developer. Do not buy this game. do not waste your time, do not wait for the bugs to be fixed. Even with the bugs fixed (and this may take a few years since their first game Pathfinder: Kingmaker still has bugs unfixed) this game is simply not good enough. It has the attention simply because games of this genre are quite rare.
  17. Sep 24, 2021
    Was hoping this was going to be good but compared to the previous title, it pales in comparison. There is nothing improved here apart from some slightly better graphics. The classes are many but too similar. The story is bland and the characters are worse. What happened to the days of good strong party characters and NPCs. Note I haven't even mentioned the bugs, the reason being is thatWas hoping this was going to be good but compared to the previous title, it pales in comparison. There is nothing improved here apart from some slightly better graphics. The classes are many but too similar. The story is bland and the characters are worse. What happened to the days of good strong party characters and NPCs. Note I haven't even mentioned the bugs, the reason being is that would increase the length of this review 5 fold which is a shame. Also, I may be wrong here, but large segments of the game seem to want to cater for diversity and current real life politics and social issues. Thats fine but arent games supposed to be about escapism and enjoyment. Imagine being in a medieval rpg game and the characters talk about the disadvantages of global warming and eating big macs. Expand
  18. Sep 24, 2021
    It's a pile of reused assets from the first game. The develpers put the minimum work possible. Overall the game is still fine cause its a adaptation os a solid story and sistem. Its a shame that a company that cares so little took this project.

And bugs. Bugs bugs bugs
  19. Sep 15, 2021
    2 недели игры, 2 прохождения, и в обоих безнадёжно запороты ключевые квесты. Я с 90х не помню такой фигни чтоб выпускать настолько сырые игры. Зато повесточку мы впихнули, куда без неё.
  20. Oct 3, 2021
    Pros:
    Wrighting is simple, but appealing
    Mechanic is amazing: complex, challenging and rewarding. Music adds to atmosphere, which is magical Some trops and sides is fun and engaging Cons: Graphic design is dull, lack of different assets make game looks cheap Performance issues Still lot of gamebreaking bugs (quests and errors), I started 3 characters and was locked out of story
    Pros:
    Wrighting is simple, but appealing
    Mechanic is amazing: complex, challenging and rewarding.
    Music adds to atmosphere, which is magical
    Some trops and sides is fun and engaging
    Cons:
    Graphic design is dull, lack of different assets make game looks cheap
    Performance issues
    Still lot of gamebreaking bugs (quests and errors), I started 3 characters and was locked out of story progress on all of them, never finished the plot
    Why so little dialogs and talking options? Almost no updates in entire acts. Something new almost only when arc can progress, but not sooner
  21. Jan 27, 2022
    Good in concept, poor in execution. The game is such an abysmal buggy mess it's unplayable. It has game breaking bugs that will prevent you from even progressing. What could be an OK D&D style game turns into a nightmare of wasted time and frustration as quests can't be completed and entire acts won't advance due to game breaking bugs. This game just wasn't ready for release. EvenGood in concept, poor in execution. The game is such an abysmal buggy mess it's unplayable. It has game breaking bugs that will prevent you from even progressing. What could be an OK D&D style game turns into a nightmare of wasted time and frustration as quests can't be completed and entire acts won't advance due to game breaking bugs. This game just wasn't ready for release. Even with the latest patch at the time of writing this in early 2022 the same problems people complained about 4+ months ago still break the game. Expand
  22. Sep 5, 2021
    This game is more broken than cyberpunk... I really want to play it because I genuinely enjoyed kingmaker but the inventory doesn't work, constant crashes and turn based mode is bugged.
  23. Sep 27, 2021
    Unfinished, buggy mess. There are game-breaking bugs everywhere. Look at the forums and you'll see pinned posts by Owlcat warning you not to use basic game features, as these can break the game and they know it. They've known it for a month. They've known it since before release and decided to release anyway.

I've personally reported 50 bugs since launch and not a single one has been

I've personally reported 50 bugs since launch and not a single one has been fixed yet. Do not support this. Do not try to play it, because bugs will destroy your experience, if not your game.
  24. Sep 25, 2021
    I really did not want to ever write a bad review about an Owlcat game. The Pathfinder series is filling a niche that is desperately underserved. I have been playing & playing this game, fighting to find the fun.

In 1 sentence if you want the fast version of this review: The game is tedious due to being filled with things that look great on paper but were clearly never playtested.

Classes: There are too many of them. Over 150+ classes, if you include the subclasses! There are 2 consequences to this gigantic class bloat. 1) The game CANNOT be balanced. It is not possible unless they get billions of dollars & a developer team that is 6 times the size of their current one. MMORPG studios with massive resources cannot truly balance their classes properly and they only have 10-20 of them. Now imagine 150+ classes... 2) Tons of classes are very similar. The spell list is gigantic but many of the spells are made for pnp & not a crpg. Many spells are either useless or the same as another spell with only the name as a difference. I would prefer 20 classes that are very unique.

Bugs: This game had no business being released already. It is a good 3-6 months away from being ready for release. We are not even in late beta. Based on the fact that patches break almost as much as they fix, I would say that we are in early-to-mid beta. Basic things don't work (mounts, touch spells, passive abilities) & this means that multiple classes are unusable. Some abilities that work in real-time battle mode don't work in turn-based mode & vice-versa. Sometimes, your character will randomly lose their turn or walk towards an enemy & have their turn abruptly end without doing their attack, even while in range. Imagine a Final Fantasy game having those type of bugs! Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is not ready to be played yet.

Resistance: Enemies in this game have very high spell & elemental resistance. That is not fun. It discourages the use of many different spells.

Armor: In this game, medium or heavy armor is a negative. A normal RPG balances the negatives of strong armor with the positives of being tanky. Not in WoTR! A monk with high evasion wearing only robes will have better Armor Class than a Fighter wearing plate mail. The strongest tank should not be a dodge tank. It makes tanky armored classes (of which there are way too few) useless. Armor does not soak up anywhere near enough damage to make up for the low evasion.

Questing direction & maps: I like an RPG that has simple-to-navigate dungeon/instance maps & obvious main quests. Let the sidequests be subtle. This game is full of instances that are narrow to navigate, a camera that blocks half your view & constantly needs adjusting & tons of physical obstructions that makes you stop every few steps. Even loot boxes become unfun when they are plentiful & require you to stop... and are full of crap that gives you 1 gold. Once again, less is more. I reach the point where seeing a wide-open space that does not require excessive clicking or fussy movement makes me practically weep with joy!

My biggest fear is that this game cannot be balanced or truly fixed because of its size & studio. If a developer team takes on a job this massive, they either have the resources to finish the job or they don't. This job is not finished. And I don't think this game was playtested very much at all. Was there a need to put in a camping module? It's not fun. Also, it requires yet another layer of complexity with skills required for camping that require their own attributes. It is not good design to have an RPG with 6 stats (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA) & then you actually need all 6 stats all the time! If your stats are not high enough because they are too spread out, heaven help you.
  25. Sep 4, 2021
    Its plagued with bugs, AI cant even autoattack, difficulty is all over the place...feels like beta..No idea how this got good reviews in the current state.
  26. Nov 2, 2021
    Как и первая часть эта игра просто набитый повесточкой мешок глючного говна. Ни о каком сравнении с ролевками старой школы здесь речь даже близко не идет. У ролевок новой школы эта игра по оптимизации, тестированию, ритму и логике отсасывает глубоко и навсегда. Куча не нужных и всратых идей почерпнутых из твиттера 12 летних девочек. Сценаристы дебилы запредельные. Законы физики, логики иКак и первая часть эта игра просто набитый повесточкой мешок глючного говна. Ни о каком сравнении с ролевками старой школы здесь речь даже близко не идет. У ролевок новой школы эта игра по оптимизации, тестированию, ритму и логике отсасывает глубоко и навсегда. Куча не нужных и всратых идей почерпнутых из твиттера 12 летних девочек. Сценаристы дебилы запредельные. Законы физики, логики и здравого смысла им чужды по умолчанию. Expand
  27. Sep 4, 2021
    My first mistake was backing this game on Kickstarter in Feb. of 2020. If you didn't back the game and just bought the game the day of release then you could get right into the game at release. However, if you backed them on Kickstarter there were errors that kept some backers from gaining access to the game at release. This happened to me. So, I had to wait a day to get into the game.My first mistake was backing this game on Kickstarter in Feb. of 2020. If you didn't back the game and just bought the game the day of release then you could get right into the game at release. However, if you backed them on Kickstarter there were errors that kept some backers from gaining access to the game at release. This happened to me. So, I had to wait a day to get into the game. There was no customer service the last two days before release. I sent multiple message on multiple platforms and received no response. I get it, they're busy, but they should have contacted the backers a week ahead of time and given them access to pre-downloading the game then instead of waiting until the last minute. That way, if there were any errors the backers could contact them ahead of time and get it resolved before release. So, not a good start at all.

I've only played through 2 hours of the game so far but the game seems like a rinse and repeat of KingMaker. I enjoyed Kingmaker but I was hoping they would take WOTR to another level. Unfortunately, not only is it a rinse and repeat but the graphics look worse. The character screen graphics are absolute garbage. They look like something you would expect in an early 2000's game. No details on the character, body proportions are cartoonish to say the least, kind of reminds me of characters I would make as a kid playing with Play Doh. And there simply are not enough character portraits to choose from. Because of this, my in-game character ended up looking nothing like the portrait.

I will continue to play the game in my downtime. If my experience with the game improves I will come back and adjust my score later on.
  28. Sep 4, 2021
    This isn't the same as Kingmaker. The female characters had a personality and flaws in that. Linzi was looking to prove herself as a biographer and was supporting you in your good deeds, pretty unsure of herself being kicked out of college. Amiri was a strong barbarian that found it hard to open up to you until she killed the giant boar and considered you being part of her "pack" and youThis isn't the same as Kingmaker. The female characters had a personality and flaws in that. Linzi was looking to prove herself as a biographer and was supporting you in your good deeds, pretty unsure of herself being kicked out of college. Amiri was a strong barbarian that found it hard to open up to you until she killed the giant boar and considered you being part of her "pack" and you being the pack leader that she could follow. Jaethal's tragic story of her killing her family in the name of her goddess then being alone in the wilderness and dying, only to be turned into an undead that can't feel pleasure or happiness. Meanwhile, in this... you have a woman paladin forced down your throat from the first 5 minutes of gameplay screaming at the top of her lungs for no reason. I'm expecting her to start raging about not being able to have a frappucino latte at Starbucks. This is the level of writing and character design. I'm assuming Chris Avellone was sidelined after his "me too" scandal and only his name remained as "narrative lead" while a woke committee "handled" the story and dialogues, because this is nothing compared to the first game that he also lead. Or he wanted to pander to the twitter mob and produced this to make them forgive him. Expand
  29. Dec 5, 2021
    I'm a fan of the original Baldur's Gate and I was too bored with this game after about 6 hours to continue. The only thing I enjoyed was talking to people. But beyond that what is the point? The story is 'meh' and there is so much pointless loot and filler mobs.
  30. Jan 23, 2022
    Easily the most bug-infested game in my >30 years of computer gaming. Owlcat scam their customers with a tedious slog, uninspired writing, 95% processor- and graphics card load and bugs in the (literally!) 1,000s. WotR was released in a pre alpha-state and has still not reached more than a beta state by January 2022. Be prepared to spend ~20% of your playtime in loading screens and lookingEasily the most bug-infested game in my >30 years of computer gaming. Owlcat scam their customers with a tedious slog, uninspired writing, 95% processor- and graphics card load and bugs in the (literally!) 1,000s. WotR was released in a pre alpha-state and has still not reached more than a beta state by January 2022. Be prepared to spend ~20% of your playtime in loading screens and looking for items in the worst inventory ever realized in a computer game. The game's balancing is beyond broken (Only super hero characters made with meta-gaming knowledge are viable; forget about role playing!) and proof of the devs' vast incompetence in game design, the idiotic crusade mode being the most obvious proof. What a disaster! Pas de points, Owlcat, zero, nada, zilch. Expand
  31. Mar 12, 2022
    It's your call but for now it's not recommended.
    1/10 this game at that stage.
  32. Feb 7, 2022
    I tried to put higher score but three times in a row rolled 1 like this game do almost every fight.

Good basis with very bad implementation, game is made for save-scumming, coz random is weird, balance is non existent. U can lost team in 1 fight then replay it and win without a scratch. Played lots of NWN - never saw something like that. And ofc that awful strategic part that ruined

And ofc that awful strategic part that ruined almost everything good that left despite bad balance and weird random, coz it's dull and dumb, and u can't skip it, coz u will have worse map view, less quests, less items.
  33. Mar 27, 2022
    Oh boy. Made an account here just to vent, I'm so disappointed after Kingmaker, which I loved. Every flaw Kingmaker had, but was tolerable is now made 10 times worse. Made it only to beginning of Act 3 before dropping out of frustration. Let's start with positives:

+There are more classes, for more minmaxing fun +Animal companions have been expanded upon +♡Regill♡ And that's all

+There are more classes, for more minmaxing fun
    +Animal companions have been expanded upon
    +♡Regill♡

And that's all good that can be said about this game. Now with the negatives:

-Writing is so bad, it's not even funny. It's infantile "(Good) Redeem the dude who just ate a baby in front of you." or "(Evil) Eat the baby." all over the place. In Kingmaker i cringed once, when First Crown was found. Here, I cringe constantly.
    -Companions. So, there's a self-admitted assassin whose blurb outright states that he assassinates your fellow crusaders? No, as a lawful authority of the crusade, you can't have him arrested and interrogated, you have to hire him to find a dragon, because apparently he has the skills to do so and no one else in your army does. There's a succubus, a demon that's a master of manipulation and you can notice she's lying to you. Nope, you can't kill her, she joins you as a companion or escapes because the writers can't allow their OC Donut Steel waifu to ever get hurt. Makes me miss Darven from Kingmaker, you know the backer-written Mary Sue? At least you could have killed him.
    -Difficulty. The game is simultaneouslytoo easy and too hard. In 90% of situation I am the one to get my opponents by surprise and kill them all in the first 1.5 rounds without a spell fired and in the remaining 10% they get to go first in which case half my party dies from fireball barrage. After which I reload the game and go first and win.
    -Crusade mode. The battles were fun. For the first 5 times. And you'll probably fight hundreds of them across the game. An average battle can take over 30 turns of clicking on the enemy unit until it dies. Devs themselves evidently weren't confident in the system, as you can set it to auto mode. Except, you can't have good ending then.
    -LOADING. Okay, I'm back in my capital. Let's go to the streets and sell all my junk. LOADING. Wait half a minute, as my character runs through the mostly empty map to the shopkeeper. Luckily, there's a bulk selling button, so instead of clicking 400 times, I have to click only 300 selling all the +1 shortbows (bulk selling doesn't sell magical items, but most of them is junk anyway). Now, wait another half a minute as my character runs to the citadel. Now, I can click the door icon... oh except the game doesn't auto select my animal companion so now I have to wait a full minute while my dog runs to the citadel entrance. LOADING. Okay, now that I'm in the citadel it's time manage the crusade. LOADING. A demon army attacked mine. LOADING. I win. LOADING. Now, I have to build something in a city. LOADING. Okay, I'm done let's get out of the city building screen... LOADING. ...crusade management screen... LOADING and I can finally rest! LOADING.
  34. May 20, 2022
    Very beautiful game, Owlcat made one step forward with this, and two steps back.

Writing is a big improvement over Kingmaker (admittedly not a high bar), but still leaves a lot to be desired. +1 to this review roll since Linzi isn't in this game. Exposition dumps are everywhere. Oh my god. There are way too many characters sharing their sad backstories, beliefs, and world views way

Exposition dumps are everywhere. Oh my god. There are way too many characters sharing their sad backstories, beliefs, and world views way too early, with no pay off for the player involvement. They don't help flash out the world, and are honestly just a waste of time.

Most companions personal quests are well done. However, I found most of them to be one-note and lifeless. They nailed it with Regill, Daeran, Woljif and Lann. These guys are great and believable, too.

Voice acting performance is serviceable when it's there. It's a hit and miss. Seelah, Minagho and Galfrey are especially bad, Woljif VA oozes Charisma, Regill nails the cynical pragmatist, Lann is good, and Spider Lady is one of the best. Sometimes the intonation is so off for what they actually want to say.

While the writing certainly has its moments, the bloat of gameplay systems and unrefined ideas (Crusade mode, city management, world map movement and fatigue, corruption) really weigh it down:

1. Narrow interiors and door passageways
    2. Multitude of AOE control spamming enemies
    3. Invisibility to hide those enemies
    4. Bad casting design that requires you to overcome both spell resistance + bloated saving throw(s) with limited resources.
    5. Bloated enemy stats. On normal difficulty, you have to use 7 separate mechanics and pre-buff everyone to hit some enemies. It's absurd.

I don't think WoTR can be called hard in the sense that Dark Souls is hard. The gameplay which is very contingent on RNG even with the right build, I'd say it's more frustrating/tedious than challenging. Probably the only challenge is knowing what you're going to face and pre-buff beforehand - you need to reload for that, though. Overall, the gameplay is not very engaging or satisfying.

You can tell they worked hard on this game, but their inexperience as a developer clearly shows. The third time is the charm, Owlcat.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 32 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 22, 2022
    While flawed, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is a grand and ambitious adventure and an impressive adaptation of a popular tabletop RPG. The eclectic characters feel alive, though the thought of that literally being true is terrifying. In some ways, it feels like too standard a CRPG; in others, it stretches the conventions of that subgenre in fascinating directions. The amount of writing here (and pretty good writing at that) is astounding — it’s a rare case where the sheer quantity is a positive, each quest another strand in your character’s tapestry, even if they don’t always hit. As such, if you only play one game you missed out on from last year, it might be this one, as it might be all you have time for. But that decision is less appealing in the shadow of the abuse accusations.
  2. CD-Action
    Jan 19, 2022
    Owlcat Games has made huge progress since Kingmaker. Time limits, randomized elements of kingdom management and other annoying aspects were ditched, while combat and character development return in all their glory assisted by very atmospheric new mythic paths and a bit simple but still cool army management system. For me, the new Pathfinder, Wasteland 3 and Divinity: Original Sin II are a trio of contemporary RPG classics, with the first one being the most faithful to the genre’s tradition. [12/2021, p.64]
  3. Dec 2, 2021
    Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is a fantasy role-playing game that is highly playable and extremely rich in content. Although there are still some obvious bugs and optimization issues in the game, it is still the brightest new star in the fantasy role-playing games.