7.3

1. Sep 20, 2022
    The Return to Monkey Island captures the spirit of the original games. The fun and adventure can be felt throughout the entire game.

I’m glad they didn’t copy the pixel art of the first 2 games. While they were charming when they came out, they feel too retro and vintage now. This new art style fits the narrative and makes this game standout.
  2. Sep 20, 2022
    The game brings back the first-class point and click adventures! Many thanks to the entire development team!
  3. Sep 20, 2022
    First a little note to every person who comes to score badly the game because it is not Pixel art.
    IT´s TIME TO GROW UP babys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    IT´s TIME TO GROW UP babys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I am with a smile from ear to ear. A game made with all the love of the world. I waited for my whole life. I played the originals in their time and the only one that I liked after that was the Cure, 3. Then what followed that and those of Tell Tale did not like at all. As soon as this game starts at the 3 seconds of playing them, one feels immersed in that world 30 years ago. Same jokes itself.
    Thank you forever Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman and company. I never imagine feeling a 12 year old boy again.
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Oct 3, 2022
    Very enjoyable game, hardly no frustrating elements. Great modern application of the old school point and click adventure.
    But: I think it's time for something new. Many locations and characters return once again.
    Somehow it misses some atmosphere.
  5. Sep 29, 2022
    A fun return to a much loved franchise. Largely enjoyed the new art style. Music and voice work is excellent, and the puzzles were suitable challenging. I had to ponder overnight on several of them and even used a hint early on (I wish I hadn’t - it was obvious!). I liked the ending, but it felt a little abrupt. All in all, a really enjoyable game.
  6. Oct 3, 2022
    Un juego sobre encontrar un tesoro, pero también sobre el paso del tiempo. Y en este sentido, en cierta manera, traspasa la pantalla para reflejarnos a nosotros mismos buscando algo que quizás no nos complete al final, pero si en el camino.
  7. Sep 20, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island perfectly captures the atmosphere, soundtrack and humor of the old games, and elevates the technical aspect to modern times. Sure, the graphic style is definitely a matter of taste, but it just works great at what it does. Thanks for bringing the series back after all these years!
  8. Sep 21, 2022
    Perfect game. Don't trust the haters and graphics kiddys. This game is charming and intelligent. It's a game worth any penny!
  9. Sep 21, 2022
    Genuinely can't believe how good this turned out to be. Nostalgia rarely works and usually disappoints but this felt like a warm hug from an old friend. And yet it's not living in the past, it recognises that things change over time, the nature of life. It's also actually funny and I'm pretty jaded when it comes to comedy these days.
  10. Sep 20, 2022
    To set expectations, if you were hoping this game would explain the cliffhanger in Tales of Monkey Island you will be disappointed.

It flows directly from the end of Lechuck's Revenge and while it didn't completely throw out the stories of everything after Monkey Island 2 they play little to no impact in the events of this game. The art style is divisive, it felt a bit jarring at times

The art style is divisive, it felt a bit jarring at times in the first Act but definitely feels more at home in the subsequent ones.

The puzzles overall are good, though even on the "hard mode" they're generally not too complicated.

My main complaint of the game is one you see in quite a few puzzle games these days, backtracking to previous areas over multiple acts (with one specific area needing 3 different visits over 3 acts).
  11. Sep 20, 2022
    Great Artstyle, funny as ever, really captures the essence of Monkey Island!
  12. Sep 20, 2022
    I was 10 about years old when I play the first game back in ´91 and it has been my favorite game since then.
    Now, 30 years later I find myself reliving those times in more than one way.
    By introducing my kids to The Secret of Monkey Island and being overtaken myself by the thrill ride that is Return to Monkey Island.
    Thank you!
  13. Sep 27, 2022
    I don't really think there's anything about this game I don't like. It is an absolute master-piece when it comes to adventure game point-n-click. Every piece of the game intersects perfectly with the others making it a complete joy to play. From the music, to the art, animations, hint system, story, dialog. I love it all!
  14. Sep 25, 2022
    I find this game initially a very charming and endearing story in which each character is a true individual. I had a lot of fun on this short but intense adventure.
  15. Sep 20, 2022
    This is not a pixel-art Monkey Island, this is not the 90s anymore but this is pure Monkey Island essence to the core. It's feels good to have it back and to be as good as it was then. No matter how hard the haters try.
  16. Sep 21, 2022
    Guybrush makes a solid return with writing comparable to that of earlier games in the series. Through unique writing, it manages to make all former games canon, yet directly follow the events in Monkey Island 2.

The interface gets out of the way for the adventure like never before and the new graphics are now more dynamic and expressive in terms of facial expressions. The to-do list

The to-do list is a great addition that I have missed in all adventure games!

I have a hard time finding any serious faults with this game. It is evident Ron Gilbert is the father of adventure games and that he is pouring his decades of experience in game design into this.
  17. Sep 20, 2022
    Probably in comparison to some of the previous writers, I actually played the game. And I have to say that despite my initial scepticism about the graphics, I liked it very much. It would have got 10 points from me if it had been a pixel look adventure game in the style of Monkey Island 2 or a comic adventure game like Curse of Monkey Island.

Giving the game 0 points is just childish.

Giving the game 0 points is just childish. I'm sorry to say that.
  18. Sep 21, 2022
    This game is everything I wanted going back to Melee Island and more. You will hear complains about the art not being on par with the one in the MI1 and MI2 and the CoMI but don't let them fool you: this game looks and feels amazing. Once I saw the first videos I was doubting myself about the animations and movement of the characters but once I was the one in control of Guybrush, thatThis game is everything I wanted going back to Melee Island and more. You will hear complains about the art not being on par with the one in the MI1 and MI2 and the CoMI but don't let them fool you: this game looks and feels amazing. Once I saw the first videos I was doubting myself about the animations and movement of the characters but once I was the one in control of Guybrush, that doubt walked the plank and never came back.

The interface is simple, yes, but that doesn't changes the gameplay, if only it makes it more enjoyable and fresh. You are not the same person as you were 30 years ago, why does the game need to be the same as 30 years ago?

It took me around 11 hours to beat the game, checking the hint book a couple of times when I was a bit stuck on things the game could do a better job explaining or highlighting but overall it feel like a fair challenge. And there's more for you to go back into the game and explore some more: achievements for solving puzzles in a creative way, trivia cards that test your Monkey knowledge and endless dialogue options, each of them so funny that you want to try them all.
  19. Sep 21, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is a true return to glory for the series.

I am so impressed with what they have done with this new entry in the Monkey Island series that just oozes charm from start to finish. This 7 hour nostalgia fest is chock full of character cameo's, humour, brilliant writing and zany situations that the series is best known and loved for. This game has some of the best
    Return to Monkey Island is a true return to glory for the series.

This 7 hour nostalgia fest is chock full of character cameo's, humour, brilliant writing and zany situations that the series is best known and loved for. This game has some of the best music and voice acting of any game released in 2022. Some veterans of point and click gaming aren't going to like the controversial decision to take the series in a new art direction, with the corporate infographic style visual aethetics. What I would say, is don't write this one off just for the trailer visuals and give it a shot. Personally, this is a true return to form for the series. Once you get stuck in, the game looks visually amazing, and the canted and often exaggerated art style really suits the gameplay. Playing the game, I can understand why they made this choice, and it really serves to fill the gap between the second and third game, with visuals more akin to the art style of Broken Age.

Overall, this is a game with a lot of heart, and is certainly one of the best games I have played of 20202. Do not sleep on this one! 10/10, pure joy from start to finish.
  20. Sep 20, 2022
    Excellent game with gorgeous lush visuals. Love it. Thank you team, Ron and Dave.
  21. Sep 21, 2022
    Be still my childhood heart! This is what I hoped for! Even though, like many, I was slightly sceptical about the art style, I knew the writing team led by Ron G. would be able to deliver another swashbuckling adventure that wouldn't disappoint. Art is only a fraction of the game itself after all. Playing the actual game quelled my scepticism. First off, it plays GREAT. Everything movesBe still my childhood heart! This is what I hoped for! Even though, like many, I was slightly sceptical about the art style, I knew the writing team led by Ron G. would be able to deliver another swashbuckling adventure that wouldn't disappoint. Art is only a fraction of the game itself after all. Playing the actual game quelled my scepticism. First off, it plays GREAT. Everything moves smoothly and quickly and the art style makes a helluva lot more sense now!

Is the art perfect? No. But how can it ever be after 30+ years of game development history. Is the writing perfect? No. But we all have expectations and biases after 30+ years about how it SHOULD be. How close are we, though, to a Monkey Island sequel that will live on in our mighty pirate hearts for the next 30+ years? We are already there, my friends.
  22. Sep 28, 2022
    Very good point and click adventure. It is not as deep as MI2, but still very enjoyable. The graphic isn't bad at all, you get used to it just after a couple of mins of gameplay. Music is perfect: it give a nice touch to every location in the game.
  23. Sep 20, 2022
    Just finished it. Wonderful game, really solid humor, written with a much more adult sensibility than its predecessors. It doesn't rely on in-jokes and gratuitous nostalgia. The finale will undoubtedly puzzle someone but it's a real love letter to the old school fans. The puzzles are all logical and the interface feels modern without being constrictive. The artstyle doesn't follow theJust finished it. Wonderful game, really solid humor, written with a much more adult sensibility than its predecessors. It doesn't rely on in-jokes and gratuitous nostalgia. The finale will undoubtedly puzzle someone but it's a real love letter to the old school fans. The puzzles are all logical and the interface feels modern without being constrictive. The artstyle doesn't follow the trends and I'm quite pleased that they didn't go for the retro-look, it would have been superfluously retro. The voices are stellar and so is the score, the punchlines are delivered with a dry wit that really fit the characters. The only thing that subtracts a bit is the length and challenge. With such logical solutions to the puzzles any experienced gamer will fly through the game in less than 10 hours and that is listening to every line of dialogue. But still for a smidge over 20$ is undoubtedly great value nonetheless. Expand
  24. Sep 21, 2022
    Echoing the sentiment of the critics, this game is a delight and brimming with personality and the sort of humour that separated Monkey Island from the other franchises
  25. Sep 25, 2022
    It does not suck. Does it reach the peak of its predecessor games? maybe. It is a good game and worth to buy. Play the originals first though.
  26. Sep 27, 2022
    I have been a fan of Monkey Island since the first game, and I loved all of them including the non-Ron Gilbert ones. Monkey Island was the game that got me into point and click adventures, but very few other adventure games match the quality and humour of Monkey Island. I was initially a bit hesitant about the odd choice of art style, but I was so distracted by the the sharp, witty andI have been a fan of Monkey Island since the first game, and I loved all of them including the non-Ron Gilbert ones. Monkey Island was the game that got me into point and click adventures, but very few other adventure games match the quality and humour of Monkey Island. I was initially a bit hesitant about the odd choice of art style, but I was so distracted by the the sharp, witty and excellent writing that the art style ended up not bothering me. I was so sure of this game I pre-ordered it on Steam before release, and I'm glad I did. A masterpiece... Expand
  27. Sep 24, 2022
    I played the game and 3 h in, I was already loving it. I wrote my review on steam , at that point I was still not into the new graphics, but after playing it for a bit more I have to say I really like them. The writing is fantastic as usual on this games, really lovable characters, nice hilarious situations. I really hope this is just the first of some games from this team. I enjoyed it a lot.
  28. Sep 21, 2022
    What an amazing point & click adventure.
    It is funny, smart, colorful and the music... superb!
    The characters, the story, the riddles - all well written and balanced.
    And the game looks great.
    10/10.
    If you love adventures games - It's a no brainer.
  29. Sep 21, 2022
    just perfect, I love the art style, the story, and the voices!!, new and old good characters!! don't know why so much hate, 100% amazing game
  30. Sep 22, 2022
    Return to form for Monkey Island and one of the best point and click adventure games. Starts off simple but gets better by the 4th chapter when the game opens up into a more open world with a wider choice of options. Music and voice acting are superb and I'm glad they got the original cast back. The art is different, better than the 3D games, though the remastered versions of classics areReturn to form for Monkey Island and one of the best point and click adventure games. Starts off simple but gets better by the 4th chapter when the game opens up into a more open world with a wider choice of options. Music and voice acting are superb and I'm glad they got the original cast back. The art is different, better than the 3D games, though the remastered versions of classics are hard to beat. The dialog is where the game shines, the humour on par with the originals. Bringing back Murray from Curse was a genius move, along with Elaine, LeChuck, Wally and the Voodoo lady, the cast of characters was perfect. I'm on the last chapter so I don't know yet how it ends, genuine sense of anticipation for an ending 30 years in the making. Expand
  31. Sep 27, 2022
    Thank you Ron Gilbert for this game. It's a fun and engaging sequel. For most of the time it captures the spirit of previous games, with fun story and silly puzzles, cool presentation and great sound. But it feels too much controlled by outside forces presumably, and also every now and then seams a bit empty and unfocused. That's why it's only 8. But overall it's a good experience.
  32. Sep 26, 2022
    An excellent game ! Just finish in Normal mode (12 hours). Not too easy, not too hard. Good story.
  33. Sep 27, 2022
    a Monkey Island. With all the essence and spirit from the originals. Fun adventure, lots of details from the originals but not full of useless fan-service. Just perfect.
    Graphics are beautiful, with a LOT of personality. And it looks waaaaay better in movement.
  34. Sep 20, 2022
    Superb return to form in a hilarious, beautiful and emotional adventure.
    Will treasure this experience!! Thanks Ron
  35. Sep 25, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is a game in which you can see the care and love put into it by its creators. It also offers a good story, which knows how to appeal to the nostalgia of the old players of the series without this being its central element.

Regardless of whether the choice of its graphic style has been successful or not, I have no doubt that over the years it will become a cult work just like its predecessors.

Full review in Spanish: https://pcgamia.com/analisis/analisis-return-to-monkey-island/
  36. Sep 22, 2022
    great game. i love the visual style. it's like in the old lucasfilm days. a worthy successor.
  37. Sep 21, 2022
    The best sequel one could hope for. The visual style is perfect to support the game's mood. Really well realized and full of hilarious details. The control system has been improved. And the story and the characters remain in line with the quality of the first two episodes. Wow!
  38. Sep 21, 2022
    El pepino que todos queríamos introducirnos por el recto, excepto haters, empleados de prensa y gente que nunca comprará un juego de forma legal. 10/10
    The cucumber that we all wanted to stick up the rectum, except haters, press employees and people who will never buy a game legally. 10/10
  39. Sep 21, 2022
    Le daría un 10 de no ser por el apartado Artístico, en especial el diseño de personajes...(en especial al de Guybrush), fuera de eso, un juego excelente que me lleva de nuevo a la mejor aventura gráfica de todos los tiempos.
  40. Sep 21, 2022
    It's a great experience for those who grew up with the original point n' clickers. As a modern game, it's still pretty decent. Nothing about it really sticks out to me except for the nostalgia of the original games. Unfortunately, the difficulty is dumbed down for this new generation of gaming. Hours were dedicated to trying to find the craziest path to your objective, and now you're givenIt's a great experience for those who grew up with the original point n' clickers. As a modern game, it's still pretty decent. Nothing about it really sticks out to me except for the nostalgia of the original games. Unfortunately, the difficulty is dumbed down for this new generation of gaming. Hours were dedicated to trying to find the craziest path to your objective, and now you're given a hint book that can be too enticing to read through from time to time. The comedy is still pretty on point if you know the originals, finding that perfect balance of nostalgia and new. You'll get your fill here if you're a fan of the first two Monkey Island games. I just don't think much else will. Expand
  41. Sep 22, 2022
    Amazing game and a good comeback to this franchise, everything in return to monkey island is 10/10 clever puzzles, great gameplay and good story like always from the hand of Ron Gilbert i hope we can see more Point and Click games like this one
  42. Sep 23, 2022
    It is great to be back. All feels so familiar, yet, a fresh story and good, mostly logical (within that world) riddles. I did not like the graphic in the first screenshots I saw, but playing it, that art style feels just right. When the game was first announced I was excited, then rather worried, because creating a worthy successor seemed practically impossible, but in the end the game wasIt is great to be back. All feels so familiar, yet, a fresh story and good, mostly logical (within that world) riddles. I did not like the graphic in the first screenshots I saw, but playing it, that art style feels just right. When the game was first announced I was excited, then rather worried, because creating a worthy successor seemed practically impossible, but in the end the game was so much more than I expected. Expand
  43. Sep 22, 2022
    Great puzzles, is faithful to the early secret of monkey island games. A few puzzles are rough and have poorly explained elements but I didn't choose hard mode for an easy ride. overall I'm very happy with it and the ending left me feeling how the Devs meant for me to feel
  44. Oct 6, 2022
    Excellent atmosphere, voice acting, humor and such a joyous way to Return to Monkey Island! Love the new and old characters, the puzzles are awesome (even if simplified IMO). Check it out, well done to all the team who worked on this gem of an adventure game! :)

Generally favorable reviews - based on 45 Critic Reviews

1. Edge Magazine
    Oct 6, 2022
    In both its puzzle design and its storytelling, Return to Monkey Island plays it safe. [Issue#377, p.114]
  2. Oct 6, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is a love letter to the franchise and adventure games in general. It succeeds at what it set out to do from the outset, with a fun story, clever puzzles, and a big pinch of nostalgia to top it all off. It may play it a bit too safe, but that's easily forgotten when the rest of the experience is so consistently delightful.
  3. Oct 6, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is pretty much as perfect a sequel to such a series of classic games as one can get. The puzzles are just as clever as they were decades ago, the visuals are the stunning, characters both new and old are a joy to interact with and provide great humor, and the story is not only well-crafted, but also has surprisingly profound moments. It’s easily a classic that can proudly stand alongside the other Monkey Island games, and one of the year’s best games in general. Take it from a now-behind-bars Stan: it’s one worth picking up.