7.0

1. Mar 4, 2017
    Okay. I'm too lazy to write a detailed review so I'll just make it simple: tons of freedom, awesome gameplay, and a really good co-op mode makes the game more than just another top-down shooter.
  2. Dec 7, 2015
    Fun game. Very large maps, giant battles. Barely any noticable flaws except the horrible AI drivers. Captures the essence of Battlefield in a top down way.
  3. Apr 29, 2018
    A really fun shooter that involves working together in large armies to take various bases from the enemy. As you play, you rank up and unlock new weapons and the ability to command a squad.
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    This game has been out in beta for a while now but it's getting closer to the 1.0. I gave this game a 10 and I really mean it. I was dreaming for a battlefield-series game with a top-down view since a while. And this dream came true with this game. I don't need a monster PC to run this gem and it still looks pleasant to my eyes. Actually I really love the graphic style. The weapons areThis game has been out in beta for a while now but it's getting closer to the 1.0. I gave this game a 10 and I really mean it. I was dreaming for a battlefield-series game with a top-down view since a while. And this dream came true with this game. I don't need a monster PC to run this gem and it still looks pleasant to my eyes. Actually I really love the graphic style. The weapons are fairly realistic and the terrain system is great (height, cover system, etc). The AI is smarter than most AAA titles out there, which surprised me tbh. The multiplayer is very entertaining, even though the servers aren't very populated yet. I highly recommend this title to every battlefield/arma/CoD-fans out there if you want a fresh and clean alternative with a lot of potential. The price is very fair (8 bucks) as well. Expand
  5. Feb 20, 2015
    This game is brilliant. It's the best game I've seen to date to really create the experience of being in the middle of an epic battle. Your task as a single grunt is to figure out a way to turn the tide of battle in the middle of the raging chaos. You can accomplish this by leading squads along the main flanks, deploying cover and machine guns strategically, or stealthily assaulting sideThis game is brilliant. It's the best game I've seen to date to really create the experience of being in the middle of an epic battle. Your task as a single grunt is to figure out a way to turn the tide of battle in the middle of the raging chaos. You can accomplish this by leading squads along the main flanks, deploying cover and machine guns strategically, or stealthily assaulting side bases to create diversions or capture a new zone.

The shooting and cover mechanics are solid, and the AI is very impressive. I never felt like it was cheating or that failure wasn't my fault. The game is very challenging at first, which also makes it extremely rewarding when you're finally able to break a vicious stalemate with a well-executed plan that catches the enemy off-guard.

Running with Rifles rewards patient and thoughtful play. Battles can sometimes take hours of back-and-forth, so don't expect a conventional shooter. Once you get into it though, the gameplay becomes some of the most fun and addicting I've ever seen.

As of this review, the game is still in beta, but plays like a finished product right now. Framerate was great even on my crappy old laptop. There were no significant bugs to speak of. The one down side right now is that reading the online manual is pretty much required to understand all the mechanics of the game. I'm sure the devs have plans for a proper tutorial for the final release, though.

The two man dev team is also extremely responsive on Steam and their own forums. If you have a problem or suggestion, they typically respond within 24 hours. It's really wonderful to see a small, responsive team create such an innovative and fun game.
  6. Nov 19, 2014
    While still in beta at time of writing, this game is near completion (v 0.9.8 as of now), and it sure is a lot of fun!

The game is basically an isometric shooter with a Call of Duty-esque model of damage: that means a couple of shots can send you happily to the maker. Cover, then, becomes really important, as is posture: a prone soldier will be harder to hit than a standing one. This brings freshness to the genre of both iso-shooters and cover-based shooters, as the player vision isn't constricted by a wall, but can span over a decent portion of the battlefield.

Most maps are also really huge, with objectives that change from map to map (capture & hold, king of the hill, extermination), all the while retaining special objectives (capturing a cargo truck, sabotaging antennaes and water towers, etc.). These maps can be played singurarly in skirmish mode or one by one in the campaign, with player discretion on where to go next.

The amount of weapons available to the player is staggering: there are machineguns, shotguns, bazookas, sniper rifles, burst rifles, grenades, impact grenades, artillery strikes, mortar strikes, LMGs, pistols, LMG turrets, rocket turrets, and others, with each faction having its version of it (wich honestly looks like little more than a remodeling of the same weapon). There are also vehicles to drive, all with multiple seats (driver, gunner, passenger), such as tanks, jeeps, APCs, trucks and more.

Graphically it's pleasing, but it takes a little while to get used to voxel-modeled soldiers and weapons on the vectorial map.

It's also open to mods, which are relatively easy to make, thanks to HTML and the Voxel models. There some already out, such a Warhammer 40K total conversion or a World War one.

That said, the game suffers of little design problems here and there. Sometimes there won't be enough cover to actually make a push againts the enemy, or the AI of both allies and enemies will insist in capturing a particular zone of the map, causing a stalemate with a discomforting amount of bodies from both sides (which can also be awesome).

All in all these little defects can also add more character to the game. There are few games that can achieve the same feeling of putting a LMG in the right place, mowing down a platoon of enemy soldiers and proceeding for the capture.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 4 Critic Reviews

1. May 4, 2015
    Running with Rifles is some sort of battlefield chaos generator: often ferociously funny but sometimes also excruciatingly frustrating. An uncut diamond that, albeit in need of some polishing, is a very interesting new take on war/action gameplay.
  2. Apr 23, 2015
    Running With Rifles is a perfect co-op experience to play with friends. It's also a good single player shooter, but with many flaws.
  3. Apr 19, 2015
    I would have never thought that I’d see a game that perfectly captures the spirit of the cult classic Cannon Fodder. The only thing that could have made it better is the destructible environment.