6.1

1. egn
    Dec 21, 2013
    The game is as alpha as it gets; so I'm giving it some credit for the massive potential its concept has. But the execution so far has been poor...and the "community". The people who play this game? Foul, antisocial adolescents. Not a game for grown-ups, atm. Or people who prefer not wasting their time with absolutely no defense against griefers.
  2. Dec 24, 2013
    Huge potential, but its truly awful right now. Hopefully as the alpha progresses things get ironed out, because the game is simply not fun right now. The general gameplay experience is as follows:

-Spawn -Get wood -Look for rock -Find no rocks and eventually starve to death naked and weaponless. -Repeat until bored. -Quit. The game is also very laggy, in more than one respect.

-Spawn
    -Get wood
    -Look for rock
    -Find no rocks and eventually starve to death naked and weaponless.
    -Repeat until bored.
    -Quit.

The game is also very laggy, in more than one respect. The servers obviously, but the menus also freeze for a not so insignificant amount of time when navigating and choosing options. The community seems to favor trolls and Neanderthals at the moment as well. I'll check back in a month to see if things have changed, but right now i regret my purchase.
  3. Dec 26, 2013
    I know it isn't quite fair to rate a game currently in alpha so harshly, but hear me out. Rust has a great concept, you craft stuff, build bases, and hunt zombies. I've spent 40 hours playing the game so I have a decent understanding of what goes on. Unfortunately the game takes exactly zero steps to make the game fun for someone who isn't looking to play an fps killfest. It is simply aI know it isn't quite fair to rate a game currently in alpha so harshly, but hear me out. Rust has a great concept, you craft stuff, build bases, and hunt zombies. I've spent 40 hours playing the game so I have a decent understanding of what goes on. Unfortunately the game takes exactly zero steps to make the game fun for someone who isn't looking to play an fps killfest. It is simply a game of who spends the most amount of time playing killing everyone else on the server. You look no different if you're a fresh spawn, with nothing but a rock in your hands, or an advanced player with a silenced shotgun simply one click away. Because of that, every person you see is kill on sight by default. Admin abuse in this game is legendary, they can spawn whatever they want and they aren't afraid to. After taking your stuff from your base, players often "grief" your base, making it unusable or inaccessible, rendering hours and hours of work useless. Such a good idea for a game made awful because of poor design and a horrendous community. If refunds existed on Steam, I'd get one. Expand
  4. Dec 12, 2013
    Excelente ideia.
    Bom jogo de sobrevivência, com um sistema de criação casa e itens (armas) muito da hora.
    warz, mais minecraft, igual Rust.

Recomendadíssimo. :D
  5. Feb 27, 2018
    Excellent game, not as much Survival as people can think, for now, it is mostly PvP and Loot oriented, Crafting system is simple, and base building is even more easy to use. Devs continue to do monthly updates to complete all missing and planned features, as well as fixing bugs as they come.

Overall great game, great devs team really involved.
  6. Nov 28, 2015
    Abysmal game balance and a complete waste of money. Entrenched players pick off new players with rifles and AKs. As a new player trying to figure out things, prepare to die nonstop for no reason or benefit to the player killing you. All you have is a rock and a torch against entrenched players with rifles and AKs. Game tutorial is almost none existent and spends a great deal time goingAbysmal game balance and a complete waste of money. Entrenched players pick off new players with rifles and AKs. As a new player trying to figure out things, prepare to die nonstop for no reason or benefit to the player killing you. All you have is a rock and a torch against entrenched players with rifles and AKs. Game tutorial is almost none existent and spends a great deal time going over how bad the entrenched players and game balance is. Had I read the tutorial before purchasing the game I would not have spent a single cent on this pointless game. The game has potential however given its length in development and only catering to entrenched players. I see this as a niche game catering to people who spend their lives gaming. The causal gamer beware, this game is not for you! Expand
  7. Feb 23, 2018
    Absolutely LOVE THIS GAME spend a lot of my time on this day. Please don’t say that you get raidided because that the freaking game!! It’s an amazing game unless your gonna be a cry baby about losing ur stone Picaxe you spend 3mins harvesting!! So get over it and play on a different server! This is amazing game!
  8. Apr 15, 2018
    Rust is a game extremely fun to play. It's good graphics,a ( surprisingly ) not boring farming system give make me want to play it, a good building system and a wipe system. Unfortunatly, the community is the most toxic that I have ever seen and playing alone is IMPOSSIBLE. I have never managed to get anything better than a iron axe that I have received from a friendly player ( THANKS GODRust is a game extremely fun to play. It's good graphics,a ( surprisingly ) not boring farming system give make me want to play it, a good building system and a wipe system. Unfortunatly, the community is the most toxic that I have ever seen and playing alone is IMPOSSIBLE. I have never managed to get anything better than a iron axe that I have received from a friendly player ( THANKS GOD THERE IS A CANADIAN SERVER ! ). Expand
  9. Jun 11, 2018
    Poor moderation, horrible community, was banned for no reason and they overall have a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude.
  10. Jul 20, 2018
    This game needs it's reviews reset - most of them are from way back. I play games on a daily basis and seen many different genres in it's various implementations, but this survival game here... It's simply above anything I've played. I keep coming back to it because it is the only source of genuine adrenaline rushes from any videogame I know and I couldn't recommend it more. One thingThis game needs it's reviews reset - most of them are from way back. I play games on a daily basis and seen many different genres in it's various implementations, but this survival game here... It's simply above anything I've played. I keep coming back to it because it is the only source of genuine adrenaline rushes from any videogame I know and I couldn't recommend it more. One thing though, if you're playing in a small group (1-3 people), don't play in a vanilla server - progression is too slow for most people's tastes (might be appealing if you have enough time and the servers don't wipe on a weekly basis). Instead go for a 2x or 3x server, that way you'll get to see everything the game has to offer. This game is beautiful, both aesthetically and in implementation. Expand
  11. Dec 23, 2015
    The graphics in this game are almost as bad as the performance. The devs also seem adamant that neither needs any work, and instead choose to focus on MORE GUNS! This is just the first complaint of many. The community is without a doubt the worst I've ever seen in a video game. Gameplay-wise, there is nothing notable, and server / client lag ruins any fun you might have fighting. Not toThe graphics in this game are almost as bad as the performance. The devs also seem adamant that neither needs any work, and instead choose to focus on MORE GUNS! This is just the first complaint of many. The community is without a doubt the worst I've ever seen in a video game. Gameplay-wise, there is nothing notable, and server / client lag ruins any fun you might have fighting. Not to mention the joke that is balance.

Do not waste even $20 on this game. You will most likely regret it just like I did, and the devs really don't deserve it.
  12. Feb 19, 2018
    In it's genre, I think this game is nearly perfect. I love the brutal nature of this game, but I can imagine others don't. This game is not for the casuals.
  13. Feb 22, 2018
    This is a great pvp game. If you expect anything else than pvp, you will have an issue with this game. THe game is amazing, and should not be judged entirely based off its community
  14. Dec 12, 2019
    Banned for owning A4Tech X7 mouse. I own 5 of them in fact. And I own them for more years than Rust even exist. Preventively considering all A4Tech owners as cheaters is not legit way.
    Hope Facepunch will notice how much players they screwed up with that decision!
  15. Feb 24, 2017
    1- GENERAL

Rust it's an open world, survival, crafting, building, sandbox game. Confusing? Well, I've skipped the first person perspective and the fact it is still in early access. What a cliche. There's not much of a story in the game. You spawn naked in an island, equipped with a rock and a torch, why? I do not know, I have to admit, and your only purpose is to survive... no matter
    1- GENERAL

There's not much of a story in the game. You spawn naked in an island, equipped with a rock and a torch, why? I do not know, I have to admit, and your only purpose is to survive... no matter what.

The game is permanently multiplayer, so you need internet connection at all time. No solo or PvE official servers.

2- GAMEPLAY

It's very important to start by saying that this game is not to play alone. If you do not have friends, or you do not like to play in groups you'll have a bad time in Rust. This is not a fase, developers openly state that the game is to be played in clans, and all the changes they made are to nerf the gameplay for the solo player, and to buff the clan experience of the game. Saying that, if you like to play in official game servers, and essentially vanilla, this is not the game for you.

Fortunately Rust has tons of non official servers, modded, not modded, PvP, PvE... if you can imagine it, you'll probably find it. So, it may take a while but you will surely find a server that you like in this game.

This seems very negative, but it not ends there. The community is toxic as hell. You will find all kind of negative personalities in this game, most of the time they are together in the same clan, and their sole purpose in the game is to ruin the fun for the other players. In the other hand, and again, if you search carefully, you'll find a server with good and cool people to play in. You just need to be persistent, and not give up.

It's not over yet. My personal experience in official servers is short, but I admit that is common to find people with hacks. But, generally speaking, no one likes those. Finding people with VAC bans history playing Rust is not uncommon.

Just to finish the dark side of Rust, clans will raid you to death, you will be door camped, you'll be roof shooted, you'll be griefed, you'll be bashed.

Still here? Still reading? So everything is bad? No! Rust it's an awesome game, and I love it!

Starting with the devs. Super active, weekly updating the game. Everything is good in the game? No glitches or bugs? No, but we know that the background team is working all the time, so they are not running away with your money.

So, what do you do in Rust? You grind, you craft, you hunt, you craft, you build, you grind, you craft, you raid, and you're raided. Most of all, you can choose how to play the game, you can find the Rust you like and play it. Even if you want to play solo, like I do, you can find a server for solo players where you are not always in disadvantage against big clans.

Base building plays an important role in the game, and you'll spend some time building, improving and optimizing your base.

Maybe the most important aspect of Rust is the social one. You have to talk to people, making friends or allies is very important. Your allies and you can make a good defensive block against raiders, and ultimately that can mean that at the end of the day you are alive and with all your stuff.

I've met a lot of cool people in Rust. One of the only games that make me add friends to my Steam's friendlist. We plan and share stuff (game related) when needed, and we simply care with this new friends ingame status.

PvP is the core of the game. You can find great PvE servers, with great people and admins, but to play Rust you'll surely spend most of your time with PvP. And Rust is unforgiven. It's brutal in his essence. You will lose your stuff. You'll lose it, surely more than once. You have to know how to accept that. If you're unable to accept that concept, Rust it's not for you, just play "Don't Starve Together". Improve you fighting skills, be smart, and you'll be fine.

3- CONCLUSION

Rust is now priced at 19,99€, but is quite common to find it on sale, or in a bundle. I've purchased the game in a bundle, and I was not very enthusiastic about playing it. I've tried it and now I'm completely hooked. I'm addicted. I love the game and it worths the pricetag with or without a sale. So be sure to try it.
  16. Jan 5, 2017
    This game as so much potential to be amazing. The concept is very intriguing... you wake up naked on a beach, you have a rock, a torch, now go survive!

Pros: Concept, gameplay can be solo or coop, variety of maps & sever types.
    Cons: Optimization is horrid - graphics are laggy, twitchy etc. Every "update" seems to negatively impact the game from a performance standpoint.
  17. Jul 7, 2018
    Şu an piyasada olan birçok hayatta kalma oyununun atası sayılabilecek, sürekli güncellenen ve oyuncu kitlesi artan bir oyun. Bu oyunla uzun yıllar önce tanıştım ve hala oynuyorum. Güzel grafikleri, harika craft sistemi ve oynanışı ile harika bir oyun. Eskisi kadar olmasa da oyuncular hala yardımsever. İnşa sistemine diyecek söz yok. Eğer gerçekten korunaklı bir base inşa etmek istiyorsanızŞu an piyasada olan birçok hayatta kalma oyununun atası sayılabilecek, sürekli güncellenen ve oyuncu kitlesi artan bir oyun. Bu oyunla uzun yıllar önce tanıştım ve hala oynuyorum. Güzel grafikleri, harika craft sistemi ve oynanışı ile harika bir oyun. Eskisi kadar olmasa da oyuncular hala yardımsever. İnşa sistemine diyecek söz yok. Eğer gerçekten korunaklı bir base inşa etmek istiyorsanız gerçekten oturup düşünmeniz gerekebilir. Oyun son zamanlarda survival'dan biraz sıyrılıp PvP'ye doğru kaydı ve açıkçası ben bu durumu sevmedim. Rust'un temeline aykırı olduğunu düşünüyorum. Şu anda oyun hakkında rahatsız olduğum tek şey bu diyebilirim. Ayrıca server'lerin biraz daha geliştirilmesi gerekiyor.
    Geliştirilmesi gereken bir şeye daha var ki o da ekosistem. Bu oyunun ilerde tekrar yükselişe geçeceğini düşünüyor ve umut ediyorum.
  18. Oct 27, 2018
    garbage game that is litreally unplayable with no active anticheat or admins on anyof the servers **** engine and coding the game is just not worth even if it were free to play...
  19. Feb 19, 2019
    Ужасная игра,халтурная выживалка,необходимая для паразитирования на жанре.Классика
  20. Apr 22, 2019
    Rust is a beautiful game with a even better background. For years i have been playing the worlds best survival game, rust is a harsh, Brutal game with its disadvantage's and advantages. Some may say that rust is to harsh, or the community is horrific, but the community of rust made the game what it is today. the community of rust is different than any other game I've played, the harshnessRust is a beautiful game with a even better background. For years i have been playing the worlds best survival game, rust is a harsh, Brutal game with its disadvantage's and advantages. Some may say that rust is to harsh, or the community is horrific, but the community of rust made the game what it is today. the community of rust is different than any other game I've played, the harshness of the community makes the game more intruding and allows you to find error's and mishaps that you can then fix, and make better of. Overall, rust can be a toxic, cruel game at times, but i can also be a beautiful one. Expand
  21. Dec 12, 2019
    Bloody mouse has banned,many peoples can played and i with my friends.But we don't using macros.#UnBanBloody
  22. Dec 12, 2019
    Garry sucking, **** yourself facepunch. You **** stupid kid. Freedom Bloody.
  23. Dec 12, 2019
    It's a scam, Fraudsters blocked access to the game because I have a4tech mouse and not from another manufacturer,
  24. Dec 13, 2019
    Developers violate consumer rights by blocking certain computer devices. Only ordinary users suffer from this, since the way to
    to bypass the lock has already been found, so cheaters can still use macros for shooting.
  25. Dec 18, 2015
    Sweet game, till someone teleport's / esp's / aimbot's you...

I've played this game since it launched experimental, and 1 thing which has stayed true and strong, is the hacking. No matter what actions are taken, (eac / admins) people still cheat at an alarming rate... There was 1 day, when eac updated, and 4,400 people (who logged in were banned) this was maybe 2 months ago.
    Sweet game, till someone teleport's / esp's / aimbot's you...

uhm thats 1/5th of daily users. lol... 1/5th = 20%... around 20k people play rust daily. 4400 banned one day... (those were active logins OF DAILY PLAYERS)

so 2 months ago, roughly 20% of players were injecting scripts. Amazing.

I have never played 1 wipe on any server without hackers, so my 12+ months of playing rust, ive never had a week where i didnt encounter a Hacker, or Hackers. EVEN AFTER EAC UPDATES...

Honestly rust is really bad for hacks. People dont want to tell you this, cause they want to keep believing and hoping that rust is the best game ever,

And it is, One of the best games But its being ruined by hackers. Look at cod, look at any game ruined by hacks... THATS THE ROUTE RUST IS GOING. lol.

COD HAS NO PLAYER BASE DUE TO HACKERS...

HOW DO YOU EXPECT RUST TO LIVE? lol...

Google rust hacks, look how many sites come up... LoL...

Maybe in 5-10 years when rust is complete, maybe they will update the anti cheat... to something useful (not EAC)

and hopefully be able to actually you know, stop hackers? hahaha...

This game in its current state, with piss poor optimization, bad hackers, and a really cool concept

I rate this game a 4/10

UNTIL IT GETS A BETTER FORM OF ANTI CHEAT.

If it does ever get a new form of anti cheat, i will edit this review.

Rust itself is a 10/10 game

Hackers take away -3

EAC barely working takes away another -3

thats -6 off of the high 10/10 score = 4/10

Hackers and the lack of anti cheat, completely ruin this game for me.

12/18/2015
  26. May 25, 2018
    The Good:
    Building mechanics compared to other games like The Forest (god awful building mechanics), playing with friends, decent graphics/map size.
    The Bad If you dont have a group to play with, dont even try, if you're a lonewolf prepare to have your base destroyed by a clan..plain and simple...you'll waste hours building and prepping defenses for nothing, you have no chance, dont
    The Good:

The Bad
    If you dont have a group to play with, dont even try, if you're a lonewolf prepare to have your base destroyed by a clan..plain and simple...you'll waste hours building and prepping defenses for nothing, you have no chance, dont try.
    -Also the lag, buggy mess when more then a few online players are around you...you go to battle 3 vs 3 or more...prepare for frustrations and alot of lag. That and waking up naked on the beach/in your safe house (if its still standing) bc of said lag and bugs.

The Ugly:
    Still after YEARS an "early release game" and labeled as Alpha. They're not going to ever finish this game are they....just keep the thing in alpha stage with buggy messes all over to ensure they never have to have a finished polished project. Lame alpha/early release games left n right showing up all over the place. BOYCOTT them, this mess as got to stop...first you work on a product, polish it up, finish it, then sell it. But oh wait not anymore...now they want paid before they even finish a polished project and alot of them just take the money and run after sales drop...disgusting business practice. Steer clear of alpha/early release games...make these "developers" work before they're paid.
  27. Jan 17, 2014
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I typically don't use caps to make a point, but holy crap, this game is horrible. Yes, I realize it's in Alpha. Yes, I realize it's Early Access and expecting a polished, complex game without bugs or balance issues is unreasonable. However, this game is absolutely not worth purchasing in its current state. Some people are brand new, confused and having a hard timeDO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I typically don't use caps to make a point, but holy crap, this game is horrible. Yes, I realize it's in Alpha. Yes, I realize it's Early Access and expecting a polished, complex game without bugs or balance issues is unreasonable. However, this game is absolutely not worth purchasing in its current state. Some people are brand new, confused and having a hard time adapting - they give this game a 0. Others have adjusted very well, explored the majority of the game's offerings and give this game a 10 to balance out the negativity. Let me be honest, this game, in its current state, deserves a 2 at best. Right, I should probably explain why; the bugs. There are tons of griefers and trolls, but that's kind of the nature of any online environment. However, there are also hacks that will randomly insta-kill you. Given the difficulty of the game, being instantly killed can damn near ruin your experience entirely. And it will happen. In addition, certain resources are a nightmare to find that are practically essential early on, such as stone blocks which provide minerals and stones. Above all else, the lag is a nightmare. I understand that they haven't allocated massive funds to servers, but the current status isn't enough to house even a few dozen players without rubberbanding all over the god damn place, which makes the already mundane task of farming resources infinitely worse. In addition, hunting / fighting animals and zombies is brutal with lag. Good luck chasing down a deer when it's teleporting all over the f---ing screen and wolves attack like you're fighting under a strobe light. As far as "end-game" goes, you can look forward to nothing. There is nothing beyond building a crappy wooden fort, building a gun, and shooting zombies. I can honestly say this game has a tremendous amount of potential, but as it stands even SUGGESTING it's worth $20 is an insult to the gaming community and Steam's leniency for Early Access. Avoid it at all costs, or in this case, twenty bucks. Play Terarria or Starbound if you need a crafting / killing fix in the meantime or just wait until the developers drop the price to 5 bucks or at least enter the beta phase. Otherwise, this is a prime example of Early Access being treated like a shady Kickstarter campaign. Garbage. Expand
  28. Jan 21, 2014
    Got this on Steam Early Access (they're calling it an "alpha", though it's only slightly better than a barely functional proof-of-concept) - wish I hadn't spent that money at this point. I'm giving it a 2 for the potential it has, but I cannot recommend that anybody ever play it, let alone pay for it, in it's current state.

The game is a ton of fun if you're the only person on the

The game is a ton of fun if you're the only person on the server, but since you can't actually run your own private server you're forced to play on a public server and every online-gaming cliched horror story you can imagine will come true within minutes. Hackers, cheaters, griefers, and people that will even lie to you to gain your trust so that they can kill you while you're naked and take away the rock you spawn with).

You can rent a hosted server from one of several vendors (and I'm very sure that Facepunch is getting kickbacks on this), but you cannot password protect that server, so you're always going to be open to grief, abuse, and horrible, horrible people.

Rust is the single worst online experience I have ever had, and the biggest disappointment in video gaming that I've come across in a very long time. Maybe they'll patch it up in a year or so, and if they do (and if I see any reason to subject myself to this kind of torture again in the future) I may come back and update my review.
  29. Oct 31, 2015
    I have now updated my review from a year or two ago....and this game STILL remains in Alpha. Changes have been made to the game here and there, yet it is still very poorly optimized, even worse so than I remembered back in 2013. A new disturbing trend has started with all of these 'Alpha' early releases. Everyone pays, then nothing get's accomplished....years later we are still at square 1I have now updated my review from a year or two ago....and this game STILL remains in Alpha. Changes have been made to the game here and there, yet it is still very poorly optimized, even worse so than I remembered back in 2013. A new disturbing trend has started with all of these 'Alpha' early releases. Everyone pays, then nothing get's accomplished....years later we are still at square 1 with Rust. Expand
  30. Jun 16, 2017
    The game itself is not bad its early so there are still bugs galore, but its playable what makes me rate it down is the amount of hackers, the way the community has geared themselves towards playing, the community in general, the general design and game play philosophy and the maps.

Hackers - Everywhere way too many of them, if you want to avoid them play on private servers, Facepunch official servers are full of them. Rustified servers are better as the requirements to join are much more strict (no VAC bans period)

Community gameplay - The idea is sound you have 2 clans building bases and you must attack theirs while defending yours, sounds good, but what actually happens is no one attacks anyone until they are offline. The majority if not all of the game time involving other players bases is done when they are offline, and likewise you will not see a single person near your base while you are online but u can almost guarantee that they will raid once you log off. They need some server option for offline protection possibly based around cabinet authorisation etc to provide protection to empty bases.

Community as a whole - awful, just awful, 100% awful. The community takes so much enjoyment out of the game by doing everything in its power to make your gaming experience as miserable as possible. They gloat, they insult, they camp your base effectively trapping you inside for no gain for themselves, they kill new players all the time. The community of this game is literally there to suck all the fun out of it for everyone but themselves. Solo players in particular will find the game to be unplayable and I would urge you not to even consider playing until you have 6+ players in your team. Trying to find a team to join is equally pointless, they will rather shoot you and steal your rock than engage in conversation.

The Maps - Too small basically, even the largest maps at the end of the server cycle look like housing estates. Trying to build a hidden base is worthless because the maps are so small, this ties into the fact that clans dominate the map after around 5 hours so anyone else trying to build a base is out of luck. Larger maps giving more room for players to build is something the game must add which would also help alleviate the clan domination problem by not having every base in reach of a clan HQ.

Gameplay and design - The game is designed to (and does) heavily favour sad no life clans who can spend 10 hours a day on the game. If you have a job, if you have a life, if you have anything that would prevent you from playing each day everyday for hours on end then simply avoid this game. Without server options for more casual play the only people who get anywhere are the 24/7 clans. For people with other commitments like myself its just not viable to play the game.
  31. Dec 7, 2014
    Good entertainment if you are a hacker. If you are not a hacker, prepare yourself for some serious butthurt. Official servers = hacked, Community servers = mostly hacked, Modded servers = a few hackers, you might get an honest game there.

This review is from a hacker's viewpoint, as I am one of the hackers. Good Luck with your $20 dollars worth of fun.
  32. Feb 9, 2018
    Take this as salt, whining, git gud, whatever kids are saying these days or you can take it as an honest adults perspective.

Pros - Beautiful graphics, fun gunplay, well done survival mechanic, exciting PvP, solid base building. Cons - HACKERS and a HEAVY time required investment. If you'd like to know why I would not recommend this game with the above given, read below.

Pros -

Cons -

HACKERS and a HEAVY time required investment.

Rust is a game for someone with A LOT of time. The more time you put into the game, the further and further ahead you're going to be against the next guy, even with only a few hours less play time. This benefit is exponential in every sense of the word. As a working, semi responsible adult, I can't dedicate 15 hours a day to play this game.

As an example, you join a freshly wiped server, including blueprints. You play 3-4 hours, which, to me, is a lot of time, trying to be as efficient as possible to get your base established and maybe even get your hands on a gun to research.

Your small starter base is done, you've accumulated a decent amount of scrap, metal shards and you even have your tier 1 workbench made. You log off feeling somewhat accomplished.

The next day, you excitedly hop on once you have the time and get to farming so you can get what you need to make the good weaponry and equipment. To your utter shock and amazement, you're passing bases that are 75% sheet metal and several stories tall...and this is on a SOLO only server.

To a non experienced Rust player, this requires a significant amount of playtime, work and luck, especially on a solo server. Trying to shrug it off, you make your way to a landmark and start farming scrap and misc. items to recycle. As you're making your way back to base in your wood armor with your crossbow, you get murdered by a player with a semi auto rifle in roadsign armor. Not only did you just lose the few hours worth of time you had for completely nothing, but you're even further behind and now you have to compete with someone with that level of equipment AND play time.

Sure, slowly but surely, after losing hours upon hours of play time by being murdered by someone with a gun, can you accumulate enough materials to perhaps finally have your own gun and higher tier armor. But then you have to ask yourself, at what cost? Your blood pressure has gone up 10 points, you've gained a few grey hairs and went to bed with numerous headaches over the course of those two weeks. You have to ask yourself, is this REALLY fun?

I understand this is the nature of Rust and there is literally nothing the developers can do about it. Perhaps I'm penalizing the game by leaving a bad review and maybe I'm wrong for that but I think there needs to be some light shed on the fact that this game requires HEAVY amounts of time.

Before I exited the game for the last time, I opened up the current players on the server and out of curiosity, looked at their play time for the past 2-weeks. 40% of the server is what I would consider a "normal" range of play time, somewhere in the ball park of 40-50 hours.

The remainder of the server was in the upper echelons of play time, with 21 people having over 170 hours of played time in the past two weeks. The highest played time I saw for two weeks was hovering right at 200 hours. To break this down in simple math, that's 21 players averaging 12.14 hours PER DAY, farming, building and stockpiling materials with one player averaging over 14 hours per day. I was completely and utterly blown away.

Sure, I have played a game for 10-12 hours straight but these windows of play time come so far and few between, due to real life, that I might be able to do something like this a few times a year. How some players can do this for at least 14 days in a row seriously blows my mind. Even if I was filthy rich and had zero real life obligations, I couldn't see myself ever putting in 12 hours of Rust per day.

So unless you are in between jobs, still in school, are filthy rich and prefer to play video games, or have little to no real life obligations as an adult, I can't recommend that you buy this game because you are simply handicapping yourself vs the people who can spend all day and night farming and building.

TL;DR - Unless you have copious amounts of free time (10-12 hours per day), you will not be able to fully enjoy playing Rust on a competitive level.
  33. Jan 24, 2014
    Horrible. Bugs aside, there is no point to the game. Runs horrible, Looks terrible, laggy servers, no core gameplay, no rewards for completing anything. Just a waste of time all around. Garry really fudged up a brilliant concept.. Like other reviewers said, This was excellent in concept, but horrible execution. Hey Garry, i highly suggest you start hanging out with Dean Hall more. You canHorrible. Bugs aside, there is no point to the game. Runs horrible, Looks terrible, laggy servers, no core gameplay, no rewards for completing anything. Just a waste of time all around. Garry really fudged up a brilliant concept.. Like other reviewers said, This was excellent in concept, but horrible execution. Hey Garry, i highly suggest you start hanging out with Dean Hall more. You can learn a thing or two.

I really really want this game to be good. Sadly, i don't think any amount of work is going to solve the developers decisions and horrible coding. I really hope i'm wrong and the game turns out great. Other developers need to realize that if the game's alpha is in this poor of shape, then maybe you should wait to put it up for early access.
  34. Jan 10, 2014
    OK, this is an alpha, so we shouldn't expect too much as far as appearances, gameplay, etc. HOWEVER, it would be nice if it were actually possible to find resources (e.g., minerals or rocks) in the vicinity of all of the damned rocky hills in the area. I'm running around for a half hour just to find some rocks so I can make a hatchet, and there are none to be found, even though the sceneryOK, this is an alpha, so we shouldn't expect too much as far as appearances, gameplay, etc. HOWEVER, it would be nice if it were actually possible to find resources (e.g., minerals or rocks) in the vicinity of all of the damned rocky hills in the area. I'm running around for a half hour just to find some rocks so I can make a hatchet, and there are none to be found, even though the scenery looks like what the glaciers left behind when they retreated. The game clearly needs a lot of work, so it's probably worth waiting a month or so at least before trying it out. The community seems to be mixed between friendlies (the first guy I met gave me a pair of pants!!!), and homicidal maniacs (last guy I met hit me with an axe while I was running around at night, causing me to bleed to death shortly after). I think the develop might want to think about possible incentives/disincentives for players not to immediately slaughter newbies when the game is finalized... Expand
  35. Jan 29, 2014
    This game has a lot of potential. That being said the current state of the game is basically unplayable. It has no aspects of a PvE world like the developers intended on. I found not problem trying to "survive" in the wild. The wolves and bears and zombies don't scare me its the people that do. This game is FULL of bandits and its an automatic shoot on sight. It is impossible to accomplishThis game has a lot of potential. That being said the current state of the game is basically unplayable. It has no aspects of a PvE world like the developers intended on. I found not problem trying to "survive" in the wild. The wolves and bears and zombies don't scare me its the people that do. This game is FULL of bandits and its an automatic shoot on sight. It is impossible to accomplish anything in this game when it is full of trolls, hackers(they use speed hacks to glitch into your houses),and bandits. Like I said this game has a lot of potential so I will pay attention to it in the future when a few updates come out and such but for now I refuse to play this "game". Expand
  36. Dec 29, 2013
    The game concept is amazing. Unfortunately Valve/Steam released the Alpha at 20$ a copy, well before the game was playable. Between the constant server downtime, massive lag spikes, and hackers galore, I'm not sure who is enjoying their experience with Rust. Especially since you can't save your game. Nothing more frustrating than losing everything to a zombie and a lag spike, only toThe game concept is amazing. Unfortunately Valve/Steam released the Alpha at 20$ a copy, well before the game was playable. Between the constant server downtime, massive lag spikes, and hackers galore, I'm not sure who is enjoying their experience with Rust. Especially since you can't save your game. Nothing more frustrating than losing everything to a zombie and a lag spike, only to have the same thing happen again five more times, before the server finally crashes. This is 20$ I wish I had back. Expand
  37. Jan 25, 2014
    Had potential but the dev had a good idea but the execution was poor, hackers and cheaters WILL ruin the game for you. Maybe it will be in a couple of years but I would stay away. I got the game for free and it's still not worth the download.
  38. Jun 23, 2014
    I'm giving this game a two, and honestly the two points I have decided to grant it is solely consolation for the fact that it is in alpha right now. A lot of people are praising the "potential" and the "brilliant concept", when really, I see none of it.

The game for one looks horrendous, with an engine that was considered 'decent' graphics about ten years ago in Half-Life 2. However, typically I can forgive a game if the only problems I have with it are its graphics. Sadly, you're gonna have to pull out a chair and sit for a while because we've not even gotten to the meat of it yet.

The game is incredibly boring, especially at the beginning, where you expect me to whack trees with a stone and expect to be having the time of my life. And then once I have sufficiently whacked trees with a stone (top notch entertainment that is) some little terd comes along and murders me with a stick and then cackles like a bloody maniac for 15 minutes (yes, high hopes for the next generation, indeed). If you do happen to get off the ground, get some armor, a weapon, and a few of your friends (preferably the ones that are jerks, their type seems to be addicted to this game), then you're all set for some fun murderous antics, right? Well, murderous antics or not, fun is not part of the equation. You'll walk up with an M4 and shoot some dude walking around with nothing but a medium sized rock and a pair of tattered trousers to their name, and kill them. You'll have your little dance of glee (the d-bag dance as I call it) and move on. And then some other sods who have more gear than you or simply happen to flank you kill you, and do THEIR variant on the dance of glee. Then you cuss...... and cuss...... oh yeah, and cuss a little more. And then you lose your s**t once you find out you lost all your hard earned gear. Then you disconnect from the game, unplug your computer and throw it haphazardly and hit your puppy. Then what have you got? A shattered PC and a puppy with internal bleeding and a broken rib cage.

Aside from that, the game has a rubbish building system that is fiddly as crap and the end result LOOKS like crap. Not to mention if you want the "lols u canz creates ep1c bazes" effect your silly friends have told you about, that's going to take a hell of a long time.

What else to talk about.... ah, yes! Shooting a gun in the game feels even worse than shooting guns in Garry's Mod, and it's hard to best G-Mod in that category. The survival systems in the game are usually broken anyway, and even if they did work 100% of the time, you'll die of boredom instead of starvation.

Overall, I give this game, again a 2/10. A lot of other people giving the game poor reviews are saying "it will probably get better in beta" I can't in good conscious say that. From the 15.4 hours I have played of this game, I can safely say this game is in a very deep pit and it can't climb out.
  39. Jan 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has marvelous potential, but a lot of bugs need to be worked out first. The lag, the hackers, and the spawn griefers need to be dealt with before this game leaves it's Alpha stage. I absolutely do not mind being killed and losing everything I've worked for for a few hours, that's part of the game. But losing it to a hacker that used a speed hack and an insta-kill hack to reach me, that's not fun. People who are established in the game running around the spawn area to one-shot naked men and raid shacks in groups of 10-20...not fun. Give noobs a noob friendly area, perhaps give the more established players a kind-of Utopia to find and live in that's far away from the noobs where they can have their naked man circle-jerk sessions. Anything to make the first couple 'days' in-game a less of a frustration test. Expand
  40. Jan 20, 2014
    Игра забавная на первый взгляд. Кабаны бегают, медведи, зомби, солнышко, цветочки, камнем лупишь по деревьям и т.п. Травка там. Прям майнкрафт в 3D, с блекджеком и револьверами. Но потом раскрываются все "прелести" этой индиподелки. Совершенно безобразное комьюнити, которое будет убивать и грабить вас снова и снова. Даже если брать у вас нечего совершенно, вас все равно будут убивать,Игра забавная на первый взгляд. Кабаны бегают, медведи, зомби, солнышко, цветочки, камнем лупишь по деревьям и т.п. Травка там. Прям майнкрафт в 3D, с блекджеком и револьверами. Но потом раскрываются все "прелести" этой индиподелки. Совершенно безобразное комьюнити, которое будет убивать и грабить вас снова и снова. Даже если брать у вас нечего совершенно, вас все равно будут убивать, вламываться в вашу хилую хибарку деревянную и стрелять с автомата. После того как вас пристрелили голого с камнем раз 10, желание играть резко пропадает. И такое происходит абсолютно на всех серверах. Это что-то вроде гриферов, только бессмысленных и беспощадных. В майнкрафте есть фан разбомбить чужой домик динамитом. Здесь же такого фана нет. И уж тем более в убийстве лысых полуголых обезьян с камнем в руке, которые даже сделать ничего не могут. В довершение всего игра демонически лагает даже на самых минимальных настройках на не самом слабом ПК. Да, это альфа конечно, будут дорабатывать, менять, но кому нужна графика и оптимизация, если игра совершенно не способствует получению удовольствия? В том же майнкрафте можно хотя бы просто строить в свое удовольствие, в шахтах копаться, живность разводить, ловушки, механизмы, схемы строить, изобретать чего-то, исследовать. В Rust ничего этого нет, вообще ничего, бескрайние пустые леса, поля, да скалы, и куча неадекватных, недружелюбных и совершенно чудовищно невоспитанных людей. В особенности это касается русскоязычного населения. Эта игра плоха. И не просто плоха, а ОЧЕНЬ плоха. За те 20$ (в рус. стиме 400 руб), что просят за нее, можно набрать пару-тройку действительно хороших игр, или целую пригоршню индиигр, которые стоят вдесятеро меньше Rust, и в сто раз интереснее. И очень жаль что стим захватили вот такие криворукие индиподелки с альфадоступом наподобие Rust, Wasteland 2 за совершенно безумные цены и потрясающе плохим геймплеем и графикой. Игра справедливо заслуживает единицу, и только за счет того, что она может повеселить вас первые минут 30. Дальше идет сплошное разочарование и недовольство. После чего игра идет в корзину и забывается как недоразумение и страшный сон. Expand
  41. Sep 17, 2016
    The game is awful now, everything for low level players is being nerfed constantly, Clans of 40 people aren't farming for the XP, they are farming farmers. Constantly you get raided, I played this game by myself and got raided by dudes WITH ♥♥♥♥ING ASSAULT RIFLES 4 times in an hour, know what I had? A nerfed crossbow that takes 3 shots to the head to kill. The community is toxic, you getThe game is awful now, everything for low level players is being nerfed constantly, Clans of 40 people aren't farming for the XP, they are farming farmers. Constantly you get raided, I played this game by myself and got raided by dudes WITH ♥♥♥♥ING ASSAULT RIFLES 4 times in an hour, know what I had? A nerfed crossbow that takes 3 shots to the head to kill. The community is toxic, you get hit by random people all the time. And you know the description? See how it says you need to overcome bad things like hunger, and thirst? you won't need to overcome that since you will be killed EVERY 5 ♥♥♥♥ING MINUTES. Let alone making a town, good luck with that. Last time I made a town was 2 YEARS AGO! But that was before the community was toxic, I remeber the whole server going against 1 person that KOS'ed. I remember trading, I remember listening to peoples best lesbian joke, but now the only interaction you get is a guy in a 40-100 man clan teabagging you saying you ♥♥♥♥ing suck, and how your mom's spit was still on his balls right before you die. Expand
  42. Feb 14, 2017
    After four years of development I think it's safe to say this alpha game is not going anywhere quickly. It's seen several systems such as blueprints, experience and now the components. The predecessors of the components system came and went within that 3 year span, one of which didn't even last an entire year it was so terribly thought out and executed. This is the development pattern ofAfter four years of development I think it's safe to say this alpha game is not going anywhere quickly. It's seen several systems such as blueprints, experience and now the components. The predecessors of the components system came and went within that 3 year span, one of which didn't even last an entire year it was so terribly thought out and executed. This is the development pattern of Facepunch and it happens way too often to want to support the company or the project any longer. Their planning and management are utterly shameful and the company founder is disrespectful towards his community.

The game is also being build on an abandoned networking engine that was retired a couple years ago and made open source. Since then, this engine known as RakNet has been neglected for two years without any maintenance. The engine has various issues in several areas and almost all of those bug reports are still open and unfixed. Garry even had to create a library just to get RakNet to work with Rust since Rust is in C# while RakNet is in C++. Why Facepunch chose to stick with a neglected network engine is bewildering.

Aside from the technical problems in the game, another problem is the community. Rust probably has one of the most toxic and cancerous video gaming communities I ever had the misfortune to see. Don't get me wrong there are some really cool people you'll meet in the community, but generally as a larger whole the community behavior is toxic.

Another note too is the size of the developer team. Considering the team is a dozen people or more at times they should be miles ahead of other developers who have only a few developers in the team, but they're not. Considering the amount Facepunch makes on sales of this game vs what is being put back into development is not what one could call satisfactory. If this happened in a corporate environment, most of Facepunch's staff would likely be laid off and have to look for work elsewhere. The company wouldn't put up with the level of mismanagement and repetitious nonsensical changes and excuses that never seem to end. There are finished product AAA title games out there for less money than what Facepunch is asking for Rust. That says a lot about the motivations of the developers.

All in all even though Rust looks all shiny, a polished turd is still a turd regardless of how much you keep trying to shine it up.
  43. Mar 4, 2018
    After 1,400 hour of rust I have found this game to be a repulsive mess of a game. It has zero, I mean zero survival, and the only was to succeed in rust it to have a group of 20.
  44. May 19, 2014
    I'm really quite enjoying Rust. It's not really the gameplay that makes me feel this way, I think the gameplay is actually quite repetitive, and sometimes boring. The thing that has me kept playing is the interaction between you and your fellow 'survivors'. It's intruiging how players interact with each other, some of them nice, most of em close to pure evil. The 'not feeling safe' vibe isI'm really quite enjoying Rust. It's not really the gameplay that makes me feel this way, I think the gameplay is actually quite repetitive, and sometimes boring. The thing that has me kept playing is the interaction between you and your fellow 'survivors'. It's intruiging how players interact with each other, some of them nice, most of em close to pure evil. The 'not feeling safe' vibe is thanks to that, very exciting, and makes you want to keep playing, and making your base inpenetrable.
    It's not fun for everyone, so if you're having doubt, wait a few weeks or months for the next update, don't forget it's barely an alpha!
  45. Apr 29, 2014
    my review is actually 2.. i should put 0 but im not a bad person... anyway, the reason i put 2 is one of the most important reasons..
    1: the support is awful
    2: cheaters? hackers? most of them are welcome to steal your 5 hours looking for stuff, 2/3 of them is actually banned.. others are free to do more **** 3: 1/10 of the GM are actually friendly, and dont talk to you like you are
    1: the support is awful
    3: 1/10 of the GM are actually friendly, and dont talk to you like you are taking blowjob to him just because u play at he's server
    4: 1/20 of the players are actually friendly and nobody cares about them swearing and stuff..
    for me? i just throwed 18 euro in the trash..

yea i know its alpha and **** but this doesnt explains not the GM attitude, not the free cheaters going arround wall hacking and taking ur sealed items.. and doesnt explains that the support is trash.. the best thing u have to do? DONT buy it, wait for 2-3 years till this game actually becomes a game..
  46. May 24, 2014
    The game is in alpha so there is still room for change but I would recommend NOT to buy this game if you have a social life or a job. It is impossible. The whole sleeper concept and living in a wasteland is a neat idea but a horrible part of the game. Unless you can virtually live a second life on this game you won't enjoy it. It sounds cool but I don't know what the developers wereThe game is in alpha so there is still room for change but I would recommend NOT to buy this game if you have a social life or a job. It is impossible. The whole sleeper concept and living in a wasteland is a neat idea but a horrible part of the game. Unless you can virtually live a second life on this game you won't enjoy it. It sounds cool but I don't know what the developers were thinking when they implemented the sleeper aspect of the game. Even when you aren't playing your character still stays online in "sleep" mode where other players who can stay online all day and night can just come along and kill/rob you. Avoid this game for now, save your money. I wish I had. Expand
  47. Jun 24, 2014
    I am seeing a lot of negative reviews on this game and I wanted to shed some light to people on the fence about buying this game. I have over 300 hours of gameplay at the moment and I am still currently playing it. This game is a hardcore survival game and I do mean hardcore. Most people you encounter will in fact kill you, even if you are a fresh spawn carrying a rock. However, it's inI am seeing a lot of negative reviews on this game and I wanted to shed some light to people on the fence about buying this game. I have over 300 hours of gameplay at the moment and I am still currently playing it. This game is a hardcore survival game and I do mean hardcore. Most people you encounter will in fact kill you, even if you are a fresh spawn carrying a rock. However, it's in game voip allows you to communicate with others and I have actually talked my way out of being murdered and my precious rock being stolen :) This game is a mix between DayZ and Minecraft. You can farm wood and ore and build up a base and fortify it. You can also craft weapons, gear, explosives and raid other bases and kill people. The reason why I can't give the current version of Rust a 10 is because 1.) Servers rubber band sometimes which makes it a struggle to line up a good shot on people. 2.) Lack of updates (I know they are rebuilding a new version from scratch). 3.) This game can be played solo but it really is built for group play. That being said I have played at least a 1/3 of my hours alone and still had a blast. Overall, this game is a time sink and you will be looking at the clock wondering where the time went. If you are a hardcore survival fanatic then this game is a must buy. Expand
  48. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although it is in Alpha the game is currently a brutal mess The player base are pvp which in itself is not a bad thing however the difference in power between fresh spawns and those already established makes it a grind just to survive the first day There is no give in the player base and the actual tone of the servers is juvenile to say the least The game concept itself is sound however resources are currently inadequate in game making it next to impossible for new players to get any enjoyment out of the game as it currently stands .
    Overall I would recommend people wait for the finished product but right now if I could get a refund from steam I would
  49. Feb 10, 2018
    Unplayable and toxic. I made an account just to say this game is a waste of time and money.
  50. Dec 30, 2013
    Played this game when it was still free on facepunch, i hardly see any major improvements so far, just new items and interface. its still the same going and 20 bucks for it now on steam? ripping off many users on such a poor game even if its in alpha.

Please save your money and look for other survival games.
  51. Feb 7, 2017
    I would give this garbage a 1 for effort but the HUGE Douchebag heading this project - yes that's you "Garry" who does nothing but keep spitting on the people who PAY HIS **** WAGE made me rate this a ZERO.
    First of all this is nothing innovative - you're butt naked and get thrown around with immature pricks who think camping your bow wielding ass with AK47s is "skill".
    Also if you are
    Also if you are alone...you are basically a victim or a ninja and SEAL team 6 needs you. Seriously if you are alone, don't..just..don't buy this.

Then the monumental **** in chief decides that he doesn't like your character the way he is so he gives you a big fat dick! Literally.
    If you're wondering: "But dude, a big dick is cool". No.NO it's not. You can't **** anyone but it is a huge target for all those idiots to shoot at.
    And wouldn't you know it? You TAKE MORE DAMAGE. Whoop-de-doo!

But wait, Garry Newdouche-man has more 'bright' ideas. That's right!
    FEMALE characters. Wow, hey this is nice, right?
    Uhm..no. Again, in typical SJW retard fashion this is not to add more options ( "you never had options hurrrr" ) but to...make a point...about...something.
    Not sure what exactly and nobody really is actually as they keep murdering each other and not debating gender politics as this **** clown thinks 12 years olds with guns are.

Go check out Conan Exiles and leave this douchenozzle and arrogant ass in the bin where he belongs.
    Or prove him right that you are "spoiled idiots" ( his words ) and buy his crap.
  52. Jan 13, 2014
    Péssimo jogo, péssimo em várias maneiras, primeiramente, tive 92h de "experiência" no jogo,

1- SPAWN. Pra começar você spawna em um lugar totalmente aleatório, as vezes você não encontra NENHUM animal para ao menos comer, não tem um ponto de localização no jogo, o que fará você andar as vezes para fora da cidade 2- JOGADORES. A comunidade que se encontra no jogo são: Crianças,

2- JOGADORES. A comunidade que se encontra no jogo são: Crianças, Trolls, Grifadores e Hackers, sem falar que, se não começar jogando com amigos, você não vai sobreviver. E para as pessoas que estão começando, é totalmente injusto e desequilibrado, não da mais para jogar em servidores oficiais pois os jogadores veteranos não darão chance a ninguém, você com uma pedra e ele com m4, você nunca vencerá alguém assim!

3- AMBIENTAÇÃO DE DE RECURSOS. Como falei no spawn, em muitos lugares você não encontrará recursos, e as vezes você não conseguirá recursos, já que é uma cidade minúscula para 150 jogadores.

Considerações finais: O jogo é ruim, totalmente desequilibrado, uma ambientação hórrivel e jogadores podres.
  53. Mar 11, 2016
    If you own a mac DO NOT GET THIS GAME - I picked up a new Mac desktop four days ago, downloaded this game and wow is it bad.

It's not optimized for mac, and doesn't support controllers despite both being advertised. The game takes forever to boot up, will lag to the point where it's unplayable, items and animals will float around the map unchecked, and those are all of the issues that don't include the fact that hackers occupy 80% of the servers.

I emailed Facepunch for a refund outlining the issues, and the second time three days later asking for a confirmation that my email had been received only to get an email back reading "Unfortunately, we don't issue refunds. Please stop harassing us". I was honestly gobsmacked.

It's pretty obvious that the scope of this game is so ambitious that they might be overwhelmed, but denying a refund for a broken game and then claiming 2 emails in four days is harassment is unnecessary.
  54. Nov 3, 2014

the developers of the game just left Rust to develop other games and they are going to leave rust as it is. never going to buy any of your games ever again, look forward to all your new products/ games and see how it turned into trash. do not buy this game or any other games made by the same people its not worth it, they likes to grab people's money then run off while making

do not buy this game or any other games made by the same people its not worth it, they likes to grab people's money then run off while making some **** excuse.

from devs of all games you guys are the worst.
  55. Jan 19, 2014
    There is a review below me by "Cylian1" Which explains every problem i had with this god awful game. I'm looking into a refund currently. If not i will stop payment with my credit card company and risk losing my steam account. I am in awe in how blatantly money grubbing the developer is with this game. You think that would be motivation to make the game excellent. Nope :/ I will neverThere is a review below me by "Cylian1" Which explains every problem i had with this god awful game. I'm looking into a refund currently. If not i will stop payment with my credit card company and risk losing my steam account. I am in awe in how blatantly money grubbing the developer is with this game. You think that would be motivation to make the game excellent. Nope :/ I will never touch this game. EVER.. Expand
  56. Jan 30, 2015
    I bought this game to play with some friends on a server they selected. Within minutes I was permanently banned for refusing to take a screenshot. I contacted support and they refused to help me about this and said I couldnt get a refund due to steams terms of service (which isn't actually correct under australian law but yeah whatever). I would advise anyone looking for a decent gamingI bought this game to play with some friends on a server they selected. Within minutes I was permanently banned for refusing to take a screenshot. I contacted support and they refused to help me about this and said I couldnt get a refund due to steams terms of service (which isn't actually correct under australian law but yeah whatever). I would advise anyone looking for a decent gaming experience to play something else, obviously the admins don't care about fixing issues with admins. Expand
  57. Jan 17, 2014
    Let us just cut to the chase shall we? It's a fun game and it has a huge amount of potential however in it's current state it is extremely buggy, extremely laggy on nearly every server I've played it on and ultimately it appears to have some serious networking problems and/or memory leaks server-side because none of the servers that I have played on have been able to handle a continuousLet us just cut to the chase shall we? It's a fun game and it has a huge amount of potential however in it's current state it is extremely buggy, extremely laggy on nearly every server I've played it on and ultimately it appears to have some serious networking problems and/or memory leaks server-side because none of the servers that I have played on have been able to handle a continuous play session of too long...and coming back day after day just has some serious pains with making it even slower.

The boars, chickens and deer start to "skip". Other players start to "skip". Zombies "skip".

It's not all entirely bad - I've had a huge amount of fun with this already however I do have some long term concerns:
    - I'm concerned that they may not be able to weed out all of the hacking that really affects the fun in the game.
    - Will they be able to create a stable bit of server software that is rock-sold to allow for weeks and weeks of server time without requiring a new map to be created (effectively scrapping any progress you may have made).
    - Is their vision perhaps focused a little too much on putting their/the communities ideas into place without maybe taking a step back now (before it's too late) to rather re-engineer parts of the game that are just too week at this point in time (sometimes you just can't fix something if it has a crappy foundation).

Either way I really do hope that they can pull it off - it has so much potential:
    -I dream of PVE day-time servers with PVP night-times (or mixes of the two). The worst thing about this game is starting fresh on a server only to be hacked for your med-kit and torch on sight.
    -The ideas I have of custom servers and the potential of mods to really blow this out of the water are just awesome - let us hope that they focus more on the securing the game from hackers and allowing some really awesome modding functionality in the long term for where they will inevitably fall short.
    -My imagination runs wild with the crafting possibilities in something that doesn't look as ugly as Minecraft does...has a little more of a "I'm in real danger now" feeling to it too.

TL:DR Lots of fun but sadly just not worth investing too much time into right now and after several days of play time all I can say is that you should give it at least a few months before even looking into it. I do plan to update this again as they progress though...so here's holding thumbs!

Now if you're bored and you want to try something new (knowing that your progress will be reset and that these guys are at least 6 months away from something stable if it comes - well in my opinion) then give it a go. Personally I'd have preferred a $9.99 entry point in it's current state...but yeah early access is "the thing" so what can we do?
  58. Jan 22, 2014
    Massive amounts of potential but is in dire need of balancing. Too much offense, no way to defend or deter attacks when offline. Explosives are too easy to craft and hoard so the haves simply farm the have-nots until they quit.

Lots of security holes for hackers, lots of trolling and griefing.
  59. Jun 11, 2014
    The game is a total disaster, the animals and the objects dissapear with no reason, there are a lot of bugs and programming error, this kind of trash needs to be removed from the gaming industry, people with no experience are making awful terrible and unplayable pieces of **** like this. Obviously, this game is so bad that it make me laugh, but only for a few seconds. The combat isThe game is a total disaster, the animals and the objects dissapear with no reason, there are a lot of bugs and programming error, this kind of trash needs to be removed from the gaming industry, people with no experience are making awful terrible and unplayable pieces of **** like this. Obviously, this game is so bad that it make me laugh, but only for a few seconds. The combat is ridiculous bad and there's nothing good about this mess. Stay away from this garbage and please try real FPS games. Expand
  60. Aug 29, 2016
    Performance is terrible as in the most of the early access'es.
    Grabbed it for 5$ on humblebundle.

Not worth any more than that. Kinda disappointed, downloaded, installed, played for 5 mins and immediately uninstalled it.
  61. Jul 9, 2014
    It was kind of fun when it started but they started changing things in the game that didn't need to be fixed, added, or removed. First off for those who have never played rust, there is no singleplayer which if there was one I would have given this game a much higher rating. Every time you start up a new world it is the same as the last one you played so it can get boring after a bit. AlsoIt was kind of fun when it started but they started changing things in the game that didn't need to be fixed, added, or removed. First off for those who have never played rust, there is no singleplayer which if there was one I would have given this game a much higher rating. Every time you start up a new world it is the same as the last one you played so it can get boring after a bit. Also since it is multiplayer, most servers reset their servers like once a month so you lose your stuff pretty frequently which is pretty frustrating but some servers don't. I don't know if it was worth my money. Expand
  62. Mar 15, 2018
    Horrible experience. This is not a game, it's a grind simulator. You need friends to grind with you, who ever grind the most win the game. "Yay, I spend 24 hours a day so now I can make some C4 to blow up some base and screw someone up." Yay, so meaningful, so fun.

It's not meaningful, it's not fun, it's garbage.
  63. Jul 6, 2019
    This is a tough one to review. The game itself is quite beautiful and enticing, and was almost just what I was looking for; until I encountered "the game". Conceptually, I think this is a terrific game, but it attracts sort-of psychopathic/sociopathic people, and it ultimately descends into an immobile caste system of predator and prey.

The idea of pvp in a world of brutal survivalism

The idea of pvp in a world of brutal survivalism sounded great in theory. I bought the game for $9, which sounded like a deal. When I first started playing, it was the day before a server wipe, so I had a LOT of freedom and really took to the game. The next day, however, was just unplayable. The servers got wiped, and I spent the next few hours of game play unable to even get a base started from all of the people already killing me with guns. So now I'm hoping to get my $9 back. That's how miserable of a time I had after the server wipe. What would normally be considered disposable money, I want back.

So the game strikes me (after a mere 4 days) as fundamentally flawed. It seems to be fun for people who are well-coordinated with others and just throw unending hours at gameplay, who can then gear up and just slaughter naked people who can't even defend themselves, let alone run away. Conversely, people like me -- someone just trying it out without a network of people to coordinate with yet -- have a nudity simulator, where you get to see how many steps you can take off the beaches of Normandy before you get a bullet to the head.

Tragedy.
  64. Jun 17, 2014
    For what it sets out to accomplish, Rust Alpha is an incomplete yet enjoyable game. Starting out with a rock, a torch, and a respectably-large open world, players are pitched against nature and one another in an endless contest to survive—pants optional. Fair warning: savable progress is not a feature. In the likelihood that you find yourself on the wrong end of a gun or mauled byFor what it sets out to accomplish, Rust Alpha is an incomplete yet enjoyable game. Starting out with a rock, a torch, and a respectably-large open world, players are pitched against nature and one another in an endless contest to survive—pants optional. Fair warning: savable progress is not a feature. In the likelihood that you find yourself on the wrong end of a gun or mauled by radioactive bears, let's just say I hope you weren't carrying anything valuable. Now, onto the review.

Without a doubt, the allure of multiplayer survival feeds on human interaction. Encounters in Rust are, for lack of a better word, exhilarating. Will this stranger kill you and dash away hours of scavenging for hard-earned gear? Or will he fall to your gun, doubling your day's bounty as you loot his limp corpse? Perhaps he doesn't want to fight, and will just leave you in peace. Or maybe, just maybe, he'll reach out to you, and as partners you'll conquer more than you could possibly imagine. The thrill of running into (or trying to avoid) other players is not easily replicated; it's something you'd have to experience for yourself.

The survival-themed features of this game match its straightforward playstyle and down-to-earth feel. The items you gather can be used to craft shelter, armor and weapons, as well as food and medical supplies. Status effects are self-explanatory. If you're not wearing clothes at night, you become cold and burn calories quicker; if you take damage, you have a chance to bleed and lose more health over time. Most "man-made" structures (those not built by players but occurring naturally on the map) contain valuables but are guarded by radiation, indicated by a meter next to your health bar and a distinct Geiger counter sound; irradiated players die quickly. Crafting and construction makes Minecraft look difficult. The rudimentary characteristics make it easy to understand from the get-go, though this may prove disappointing for those seeking depth in a game.

Where Rust deserves criticism is in its inability to distinguish itself from its most similar competitor, DayZ., which boasts a greater world depth, crafting variety, and polished appearance. At just $10 less, I couldn't recommend going for a straight downgrade. I am worried that Rust was released too soon, and by the time the finished product is ready, people will have already lost interest. While many of us early adopters may appreciate its minimalist approach, things will have to change to keep it from growing stale over the coming months and years.

The game is remarkably well-optimized in terms of file space, taking up just 1.7 GB; however, a look at the graphics and you'll understand why. The options menu provides very little control over how your game looks, giving you a sliding bar for "render quality" and checkboxes for water reflections and VSync. Even at maximum quality, sharp polygon edges and reused textures are everywhere. There is a noticeable draw distance whenever you approach mountains or rocks from far away, and up close the object borders suffer from a real lack of antialiasing. DayZ looks comparatively beautiful. That being said, Rust will definitely play on setups that can't handle the former.

For $20, Rust is a hell of a ride. It is a fine break from the overwhelming complexity of AAA titles, and reminds players like me why we love gaming in the first place. The experience only gets better with friends playing. But for this game to become anything more than a flash in the pan, it will need to become something that sets itself aside from the now-better competition.
  65. Apr 18, 2015
    *This is a review of the remake, not legacy*

*This is a review of the remake, not legacy*

I like this game. It's fun, it's enjoyable, and it's the perfect balance of unique and classic. It blends traditional survival elements with newer ideas that many haven't tried. It's got your average survival progression: start with nothing, get wood, get resources, build a base, protect yourself. However, there are some fairly unique elements in play. For instance, airdrops. Every few in game days a plane will fly over head, dropping crates of goodies for anyone willing to grab it. It can bring tons of people towards a single location and can create thrilling and exciting firefights over some loot. Raiding is fun as well. Blowing up a person's wall and stealing their stuff can be very satisfying. Rad towns also add a new level of play, as they require you to essentially put yourself in harms way to get any loot. This mechanic can be annoying at times, but it can still be enjoyable.The community is divided, however. Some will want to find friends to work together with and build a huge city. Some, however, will prefer to work alone and kill as many people as they can see. I think this is great. It forces you to decide who to trust and how to plan out your attacks.

it has some flaws, however, such as the difficulty of actually getting anywhere. A lot of the time you'll spend hours gathering resources and collecting loot, only to be shot by a random player so they can take all your hard earned loot. It can also be riddled with hackers at times, and this can make the game very frustrating. It's also not very singleplayer friendly, as without a group you're basically defenseless.

Overall, I'd give this game a 7/10. It's unique and fun but can be irritating. It is definitely a game that you will unintentionally log a lot of hours into.
  66. Nov 1, 2017
    I can't think of anything good about this game, it's just plain awful.

The graphics are dated Interface looks terrible and seems really clunky. I was expecting the feeling I had when I first entered Ark. In Ark I was in awe, and loved the look and feel of everything, even the creatures that ganked me every 5 seconds, lol But nope, I materialised into this game and just felt meh,
    I can't think of anything good about this game, it's just plain awful.

The graphics are dated
    Interface looks terrible and seems really clunky.

But nope, I materialised into this game and just felt meh, then after a few hours I felt a big fat meh and killed the game's process. It wasn't even worth my time to wait for it to close properly.
  67. Mar 30, 2016
    Rust is very much a love or hate relationship. Taking a step away from most survival games but still being recognisable. The game has good systems in place and has evolved a lot since its first early access iteration. Still the community is salty and people who do not like so raw experiences should not buy this game.
  68. Jul 10, 2016
    Otro early access de supervivencia, pero a diferencia del resto, tiene una comunidad muy activa, es muy divertido con amigos. Muchos bugs, falta de contenido, desnivelado a los jugadores solitarios. Muchas cosas que mejorar pero es divertido.
  69. Oct 2, 2016
    I have a love/hate relationship with Rust. I've seen it change as many times as I've seen that Rusty sunset... Plenty of times and I can say you get some real intense moments in this game. You'll spend 25 minutes, prone on the side of a hill, waiting on the footsteps quickly approaching you. You'll also rage quit for weeks end on after having your home base raided while you we're gone...I have a love/hate relationship with Rust. I've seen it change as many times as I've seen that Rusty sunset... Plenty of times and I can say you get some real intense moments in this game. You'll spend 25 minutes, prone on the side of a hill, waiting on the footsteps quickly approaching you. You'll also rage quit for weeks end on after having your home base raided while you we're gone... Gone raiding other bases,
  70. Aug 30, 2017
    What could have been an amazing game was ruined by the slow progression and 90% chance to be killed in the first 5 minutes but the people with guns and gear, could be fun, but is ruined by the people who play it. :/
  71. Mar 29, 2019
    good idea but terrible execution.
    it has some good graphics and good crafting system with some decent goals, but its not optimized ( im talking about the memory leak it has that makes the game take 15gb of ram), and the AI is so messed up that i would rather the game have no AI at all.
    good idea but terrible execution.
    for the price that its asking, there are far more better games and in my opinion no one should waste its time on this game until the price goes down and it gets improved.
  72. Dec 28, 2013
    The game is great a combination of mine craft/dayz in one. Although the game does have its issues lag wise and server wise and currently under DDoS attacks by some players. It is in ALPHA. The game has much potential and am hopeful that it will go far.
  73. Jun 16, 2014
    GAMERS BEWARE!!!!!
    GAMERS BEWARE!!!!!
    The game is great but the game owners are CROOKS.. Gamers BEWARE.. After purchaseing the game and playing for 2 months I and 4 others got Band from the game RUST.. I heard of them doing this but I didn't believe them. The disclaimer does state they can ban you anytime from the servers if you hack or cheat. The thing they don't tell you is that they can BAN you without a reason or explanation.
    MARK MY WORDS.... AFTER YOU PURCHASE TEH GAME THEY WILL IF NOT YET BAN YOU EVEN IF YOU FOLLOW ALL THE RULES. THIS IS SCAM TO GET YOUR MONEY. Others have suggested to get the Hacked game but I don't know how to. Read the other posts of gamers regarding this scam happening. If this was legit they should give proof or a reason for there action. BUT THEY DON'T
  74. Oct 3, 2014
    The game have good potentials and concept, but an awful player base. Aside from the glitch and bugs, you can barely survive the death raids, or should I say, you can't. Lastly, the admins are pretty bad at their job.
  75. Sep 24, 2014
    Rust is advertsied as an Alpha - in reality it's a completed concept game - there is a new one coming, but what it encapsulates and what all the 'nay-sayers' are missing is the beuty and purity of the sheer brutality of this game.
    You start naked with a rock.
    You start naked with a rock.
    You need food to survive, but you don't have any. depending on where you spawn you could walk for days without seeing anything, and there's a pig....just one little pig....chewing the grass...minding its own business. You sneak up behind it and spend 5 minutes smashing it's little face in until you get a dead pig which you can then strip raw chicken breast from (yes that's right. The chicken breasts are just behind the pork loins."
    "Great!" you scream through the game's built in speech" FOOD! I can survive!" You eat the raw chicken get food poisonning and die.
    Then you respawn and learn how craft a fire to cook it on etc and so the crafting system starts to expand until you can make guns and C4 explosives, along with buildings which are rudimentary structures in wood or metal.

The potential screams at you in this game, and to top it off everyone's tryoing to gather and harvest so most of htep layers you come accross want you for your stuff - never trust a naked man - they always have a shotgun and will let it off in your face and rob you. You then start again with nothng.

When it happens to you you want ot break something in real life, when you do it to someone else it's the funniest and most rewwarding things that can happen in a game, and never before has Nerd-Rage becomes such a fundamental tennet.

It's true it's limmited.
    There is no map - but the map is not randomly generated - you learn landmarks, and where to hide. The first time you see the guy that shot you wander into his house and log out with a "ZZZZZZZZZIIIIP" of the sleeping bag and cave his door in to rob all his stuff is the day you realise what other games are lacking and that is the true freedom for moral choice. Not guided by queslines or picking yes/no answers but whether or not you will tolerate your fellow players to construct an impenetrable citadel or be a complete prick and kill everything on site. This version is limitted. Pay the £15 gladly in the knowledge that you will fund those who care about this to create more and realise the full potential.

I don't care what anyone says, yes it has its flaws, yes it can be better, but for it's sheer simple, brutal naked stripped down and bare essential gameplay, if you can find a crowded server with no hackers it will be a game you never stop playing. There is no other game that does this. DayZ does not do this.

If the second iteration of this game is realised - and it's being developed as we speak, there is a glorious golden-zen age of gaming coming, where whiners have their houses broken into and all their stuff nicked, apart from some rocks, which can be left as a souvenir, like a horses head on the pillow next to you in the morning....
  76. Jan 27, 2017
    you can play enjoyable survival and crafting game with your friends. This game in most played steam games. But you can't play alone. If you play single , boring.
  77. Dec 18, 2013
    For an alpha release this game is great. It has quite a bit of potential. You can build and fortify you base. You can friend other people in the server and form alliances, or go solo and most likely die. The key to this game is grouping up with others.

Great game overall a lot of fun!
  78. Apr 30, 2014
    Stay as far away from this game as possible. First i wanna make perfectly clear that this is not a game you should be playing alone at all. Everyone will probably shoot you on sight without any reason and even if you are a newbie and still learning the game. This is early alpha stage and is full of bugs and glitches and then the developers decided to make it even easier and they removedStay as far away from this game as possible. First i wanna make perfectly clear that this is not a game you should be playing alone at all. Everyone will probably shoot you on sight without any reason and even if you are a newbie and still learning the game. This is early alpha stage and is full of bugs and glitches and then the developers decided to make it even easier and they removed only enemy type that was dangerous and that is ZOMBIES. There is no enjoyment getting killed over and over again. You have no protection anywhere and you can be killed and looted even when you leave the server, which is outright annoying and idiotic.

DO NOT BUY IT
  79. Jun 20, 2014
    I bought this game yesterday, and it seemed fun and it was. But there's a lot of problems with the game.
    The first one I found is creating a base usually takes a long time, and after you do, you need a place to put storage in and that's your base, but wait, your base can be destroyed when you're offline and you can't even defend it, that's amazing! I joined a server I liked, had a lot of supplies in it, went to sleep, when I woke up and checked my house someone broke into it and stole all my supplies, I'm back at scratch. The 2nd problem is too many bandits, I try to help people on this game sometimes but most likely they just shoot you afterwards, this game is really hard to get started if you're a new player. This game is usually fun if you play with friends. But the communities suck ass, that's why I avoid any players I see because they are just going to kill you, and when you die you lose everything and start all over, not much of an enjoyment to waste 20 minutes to build a stone hatcert which usualyl takes 2 minutes to build. It has great potential, until than, I'll give it a 4/10.
  80. Dec 26, 2013
    I had to make a metacritic account just to review this game.

I had to make a metacritic account just to review this game.

This game has alot of potential and is the most fun I had in a game for a very very long time. It is really really exciting to hoard stones and build guns to defend bandits. Mining out on the field cautiously as you can be killed from behind at anytime. My friends are I, are having a blast. Best $20 we have ever spent. The possibilities of this game is endless. We find ourselves saying things like "I'm starving", "In real life or in the game?" "In the game".
  81. Dec 27, 2013
    This game is not for people accustomed to being spoon-fed by developers. Read that twice, so it sticks.

If you can deal with the fact that there are consequences for dying, for losing, for being targeted, then play this game. It's old-school, it's fast-paced, and it has more potential than you can shake a hand-made stone hatchet at. Raiding, defending, gathering, zombie-hunting,

Raiding, defending, gathering, zombie-hunting, the paranoia of not knowing other player's intentions, Rust will make you feel like you're a survivor. Or it will send you crying back to games where you're told where to go, what to do, and when to do it.
  82. Dec 22, 2013
    A fun game with a ever expanding selection of things to build and create. The game is just like day z combined with minecraft and sped up a little, so lots of fun.
  83. Jun 15, 2014
    Rust is yet another early access survival game that everyone has jumped on the bandwagon to. Sadly it is a large portion of this community that has essentially ruined what is already quite a fragile and easy to destroy concept.

The reason I write this review now is largely down to the progression of development and how torrid the game has become. Updates are horrifically slow and glaring issues which should be getting ironed out are being overlooked. It may be an alpha but there seems to be a real lack of dev support for them to justify a price of £15.

The game itself is like any other in the growing genre except it can be manipulated with cheats, bad admins and people that are just out of grief/troll. The community is immature and horrible most of the time and it just diminishes the concept as PVP overrides the survival aspect. You can spawn; be killed in seconds and then have to start over. This can happen frequently and even when you finally get some items together and focusing on surviving; you run into hackers which plague the game. The inventory system is quite neat and easy to use but the combat is incredibly ropey along with the engine. Visually the game is bright and pleasing on the eye but the landscape textures are very bland and it's all very copy and pasted. The setting may seem large but it's very repetitive in time.

Too many people are giving in 10/10 within the first 10 minutes of playing thinking it is the best game ever created. This is a bug-ridden alpha that's probably 3 years of completion and even then; I can't see how they can prevent the community from delivering the final nail in the coffin.

DayZ may have a catalogue of woes itself but it is probably the best in the genre at this stage. Rust is not unique in any way; it's just a first-person survival game with glaring technical and concept issues that are years from rectifying. For £15 I do not recommend this and in all honesty; even as a F2P game; it wouldn't even be worth your time.

A horrible experience.
  84. Jul 14, 2016
    The game is still in early development thus having small bugs is okay. As for the community, it's pure cancer. There is very high possibility to get killed on sight. Large groups of players have a lot of advantages over solo players, making the game very hard for the lone wolves. I do not recommend playing this game alone as it will be extremely hard to keep up with other players.
    The
    The game has a great concept and good building mechanics, you can gather resources, unlock stuff, craft them, gather more resources and build a base.
    There still is more room for improvements, the game is still in early development and its getting weekly updates.
    This game is not for those who want to have fun (unless you like to get killed over and over and over again).
  85. Jul 17, 2016
    Rust has potential to be one of the BEST games out there, and I have high hopes it one day will be. But for now Facepunch is doing there best to develop the game and it is in early access. Yes, there are glitches. Yes, all your favorite game features aren't implemented yet, but one day when the game is finished I will gladly give Rust and 10.
  86. Oct 9, 2016
    Rust is a really good game with it's nice graphics, UI, building mechanics and crafting, but the only reason I gave the game a 9 is, because of the animals that are still buggy, no real AI threat besides the helicopter that shows up every 24-48 in game hours and the fact that getting your base destroyed with c4 and rockets is too easy.
  87. Feb 18, 2018
    I would not recommend getting into rust as it currently stands (febuary 18th, 2018). while the concept is great and I admit to having several fun runs on various servers the game is overall enjoyable. right now there is FAR too much grinding, blueprints give clans massive advantages and a large minority of players are super experienced 1000+ hour tryhards who steamroll anyone who doesn'tI would not recommend getting into rust as it currently stands (febuary 18th, 2018). while the concept is great and I admit to having several fun runs on various servers the game is overall enjoyable. right now there is FAR too much grinding, blueprints give clans massive advantages and a large minority of players are super experienced 1000+ hour tryhards who steamroll anyone who doesn't know all the workings of the game.

pros:
    -if you can get a team together it can be very rewarding
    -survival mechanics can be interesting.
    -you can get creative and build interesting bases.

cons:
    -many players are 2000 hr+ tryhards. they genuinely ruin the game.
    -playing solo is next to impossible after the BP and upkeep updates
    -grinding is very extensive and unfun, you will be grinding 90% of the time
    -EXTREMELY hostile playerbase & community, expect very few positive encounters
    -resets at the end of every month wipe all progress.
    -nights are pitch black, meaning you will be stuck in your base half the time doing nothing.

no one I know wants to play rust anymore because they are burnt out from how unrewarding it is as a game.
  88. Sep 24, 2018
    Dead game roleplay **** dont buy really really reallly **** :) blblblbbbbbb
  89. Dec 25, 2013
    I don't see why people are rating down the game due to the community. Sure, most of the people who play this are utter c*nts, I agree, but the gameplay itself is fantastic for an alpha, and will continue to improve when worked on to the potential that it has. Find an empty server and mess around with it, build a massive base with some friends, practice and get to know the place before youI don't see why people are rating down the game due to the community. Sure, most of the people who play this are utter c*nts, I agree, but the gameplay itself is fantastic for an alpha, and will continue to improve when worked on to the potential that it has. Find an empty server and mess around with it, build a massive base with some friends, practice and get to know the place before you join a PvP server with hundreds of people and quit after ten minutes. I love this game, spent 16 hours on it within the first two days of purchase not time wasted. Expand
  90. Jan 4, 2014
    Rust currently is somewhat buggy and still lacking features however it is still currently a great game.
    It has it's flaws like occasionally crashing (more on Mac, but I am testing both Mac and PC to get a good idea and to hopefully help the dev's), but those are to be expected during Alpha.

Many people may not like this game due to the PvP nature of it. Starting out you will find it very hard to survive as you need to get wood, food and preferably cloth all before being killed by somebody.
    Upon logging out your character will lay on the ground asleep and you can be killed during this time so if anyone has enough C4 you are pretty much guaranteed death while offline unless you have a great base or amazing hiding place.

There are however servers hosted by players in which they can toggle PvP off (I myself have not played one of these yet as I don't find it appealing without the PvP aspect). They can also toggle off things like when you go to sleep your body will not be on the ground which can be good but at the same time you feel like it can make it a little easy in later stages of the game.
    I highly recommend finding people to play with as by yourself it can be extremely hard.

Rust has so much potential and I expect we will see great things come from it because it is still so early in its life.
    If you aren't ready to drop $20 on Rust yet I would say you should check back in a couple of months and see how far it has progressed as I imagine it'll have a whole lot more by then.

TL:DR: Rust is a great game with heaps of potential, but currently it is lacking features and does have the occasional bug as it is in Alpha. Saying that, it is still a great game so far.
  91. Dec 23, 2013
    This is a gritty survival minecraft fps game. Players are so ruthless they will kill you for the food from your mouth so they don't starve. Some people will hate this but I love it!! There have been several times I've been startled so much I jumped and I find myself spinning around to see if I'm being chased by a zombie or player at the sound of my own footsteps. I find myself beingThis is a gritty survival minecraft fps game. Players are so ruthless they will kill you for the food from your mouth so they don't starve. Some people will hate this but I love it!! There have been several times I've been startled so much I jumped and I find myself spinning around to see if I'm being chased by a zombie or player at the sound of my own footsteps. I find myself being totally silent so I can hear people's whispers off in the distance and it's only alpha!! Some people will complain that other players are mean and that just adds to the fear of the game. The players who hate this game are ones who are unable to solve their problems. Sick of getting killed on the road? Sneak through the grass. sick of getting your door kicked in? Builds a stronger door or hide your base in the mountains. Sick of attracting attention at night? Put out your camp fire. This game has a place for all types of gamers as long as they enjoy a game which requires the player and not the developer to overcome their problems! Expand
  92. Jul 17, 2015
    This game will get your heart pumping. You will experience emotion - good & bad. Hours, and hours of loving it, and hating it.

All that, for the price of a movie.

And Garry cares about his games... you know Garry's Mod _still_ gets updates?
  93. May 1, 2014
    Personally, I love this game. I have given it only 8/10 for several reasons though which I will list below.
    There is a huge learning curve that accompanies this game, for the first hour or so you may be completely confused on how to play, but that is the same with most games. If you do figure out how to get started quickly, it can take you maybe 30 minutes to get well established with a house etc.
    This game is very dependent on a number of factors, including server, friends, and overall attitude.

Some servers that you get on in the game have more hackers than others as indicated below. It is sometimes a challenge to find a server with good staffing and admins, but once you do, this problem is almost non-existent. If you continue to have issues with it, do some research to find a good server, and try to befriend an admin or two so you know when they are on.

This game is also very heavily group-based. If you find yourself a good set of friends to play with, it deters a lot of people from attacking you, as well as making starting off easier. Try to find some people to play with and your game play will increase tenfold.

I also put attitude here, because you have to be okay with dying. If you have a problem with that it's not the game for you. People try to kill you. That's it. The game is kill or be killed, or hide long enough to get settled. If you cannot get started easily, try to find a friend or two to play with and it makes dying not as unbearable. Also, the friendlier you are to others, the friendlier they will be back to you (usually), with this in mind you can make allies and trade with others, but it all depends on what your mindset in-game is.
  94. Oct 20, 2015
    I have to give this game a solid 10/10 great game-play fun with friends, but the only thing is if someone haves higher gear then you, you're head and hackers are a problem to if you pick a great server to find them to ban them great game to buy with 20 dollars.
  95. Jan 4, 2014
    This game is a perfect survival game anda perfect with a political reference, is hardcore, but have noob players rating the game! i have 250 hours in game and dont want stop of play this game!
  96. May 26, 2014
    It's a must have game. My spider senses are always dingling during my gameplay, the thrill of danger it's always near.

The people in RUST are as realistic as they would be if it was real life, I already found people who run away from everything, people who beg for theire lives, people who will shoot you on sight, and people who will want to join you. It's at Alpha but the game

It's at Alpha but the game already has a decent playable content and a huge player base. Developers are pretty active and they give news about new implementations every week.
  97. May 30, 2018
    most boring game ever.
    it is like Minecraft survival but in real life and the only thing you have to watch out for it bears
  98. Dec 31, 2013
    This game is everything you could want in a real apocalyptic survival game. First and foremost, it is in beta, any complaints about lag, glitches and the like are just silly because that's the whole point of a game going through alpha/beta, otherwise it would just be called released.

Second and what should be more important: gameplay. The concept is basic but great, you wake up with nothing (realistically no stat pants couldn't hurt haha) and every piece of resource you need you have to gather. One issue on some servers is that resources aren't spawning quickly enough or at all from what I hear, but that's because the game is in alpha... aside from spawning rates resource execution is great, maybe in the future they will reskin some rocks to look like discarded metal for realism, but as far as gameplay goes it's all the same. In a real survival situation you wouldn't find piles of a variety of resources naturally, just some wood and minerals. Animals are scarce in some areas and that's completely realistic too, unless you're on a farm, if there was real life apocalypse you would not see bears and boars walking around main paths constantly.

The sleeping bag is a great feature. You can save a spawn point and use a metal door to hopefully keep your things safe. This allows you to actually form alliances and make friends, but doesn't add a "haven/neutral" point in the game which makes it so much more exciting.

Lastly community discussion. Yes, the people are mean and vicious, and perhaps they are kids (I like how that's become an insult these days, it's a videogame for Christ's sake!). This is what makes this game great. Who expects there to be tons of people out there willing to help others and extend trust and a welcoming hand to total strangers in an apocalypse? Most people you run into will be desperate and selfish, some well run the other direction because they are scared, lots will become bullies because they can and a few will begin to band together in these beginning stages of hard times. This is what I've come across so far playing the game, and this is what makes it pee your pants scary...what I assume you were looking for when you bought this game.

For anyone who wants a nice community with easy to gather resources and mobs that hit you for 3% of your health, play minecraft. For those who played for 30 mins or an hour and got tired of crap server lag and crashes, and glitchy gameplay just keep in mind it's in alpha and will get better. If you don't have the patience put it on the backburner for later enjoyment!
  99. Jan 16, 2014
    Rust is a fantastic game. These 16 reviews are from people that don't understand what an alpha is. The dev's are trying to see what works and what doesn't! There is a disclaimer before you buy letting you know this, so don't buy the game if you cant handle an unpolished title. For those of us that enjoy being a part of the process to making a great game, Rust is an absolute gem in theRust is a fantastic game. These 16 reviews are from people that don't understand what an alpha is. The dev's are trying to see what works and what doesn't! There is a disclaimer before you buy letting you know this, so don't buy the game if you cant handle an unpolished title. For those of us that enjoy being a part of the process to making a great game, Rust is an absolute gem in the making. The crafting options and capabilities for an alpha are extensive, and the amount of different things you're able to do to improve yourself and your base are vast. I'm glad that zombies aren't a big part of the game, but I was quite surprised with just how well the radiation towns are balanced. They give you enough time to get in and out before death, but you can't stay long without pills or anti-rad clothing.

WARNING: at this point there are plenty of exploits as IT'S AN ALPHA! Meaning, there are a lot of hackers and it can be really annoying when you are heading to an air drop and are suicide hacked, losing everything you're carrying. So be careful when going on long adventures until some of these hacks are rooted out. Aside from the hacks and the annoyance of trying to get a good thing going with lots of shoot on sight kids, this game is absolutely great. The only reason I'm not giving it a 10 right now is because I think there is lots of improving to do before the final release and I can't wait to see that product.
  100. Jan 5, 2014
    Amazing game after patched. Servers for both PVP or just building etc. Remember it is Alpha but I already feel that I've gotten my money worth. Very unique. Mixture of Minecraft and DayZ.

1. CD-Action
    May 16, 2018
    Despite having spent four years in Early Access the game is still very far from being finished. [04/2018, p.65]
  2. Mar 1, 2018
    PvP-heavy survival game for gamers resistant to frustration, with weaknesses in construction and discovery.
  3. Feb 23, 2018
    For competitive players who want a mix of survival and crafting, Rust is the best there is; for everyone else, there are plenty of other games.