6.8

1. Oct 16, 2014
    I understand all the bad reviews regarding this game. It is very very linear, shallow combat, and repetitive combat ( and the glance of microtransactions gives me the creeps )
    Reviews are subjective matter.
    First of all, I am a big fan of movie 300 and Spartacus tv Show, so it is natural that i find this game desirable. From the moment it started, when i saw the first scene i knew
    Reviews are subjective matter.
    From the moment it started, when i saw the first scene i knew that i would like it.
    Graphics as expected are sky high when the game comes form Crytek. Production is very very rich, level design in aesthetic not so much in functional way is astonishing throughout the whole game. Atmosphere is very rich and sound and acting are incredible. Very immersing experience. In moment when commander Vitallion comes to Marius and says that hi will provide him a lot of cinematic slow-mo combo that produces a lot of blood and gore and tones of dead barbarians behind him, i knew that i would be a true Roman ;))
    Another thing are animations and armor phyzics while Marius is moving and lip sync is incredible.
    Now i know that all those pluses that i mention are regarding the form not the matter, but that combat was not so bad after all, reviewers were too harsh, than every now and then it breaks the pace with formations and managing scorpions and giving orders to archers.
    I found story interesting enough, even if predictive I was thrilled.
    And to mention , this gorgeous game ran on my gtx 770 2 gb without supersampling almost all the time in 60fps while preety ugly ( comparing to this )The Evil Within gives me the hick ups.
    I give this game 9/10
  2. rev
    Oct 23, 2014
    Graphics and voice are amazing, combat is well done. The game is repetitive, yes, but also short enough for the repetition not to become a bore. Two evenings well spent.
  3. Oct 16, 2014
    The game looks Fantastic and i do not know why so many people think the combat is so bad, QTE is weird at first but you get used to it. The combat is satisfying and brutal to me. Not sure why they still used colors for the Xbox Buttons on the PC version though.i guess for anyone using a Xbox controller on their PC its fine. But without one it may be confusing for some to remember whatThe game looks Fantastic and i do not know why so many people think the combat is so bad, QTE is weird at first but you get used to it. The combat is satisfying and brutal to me. Not sure why they still used colors for the Xbox Buttons on the PC version though.i guess for anyone using a Xbox controller on their PC its fine. But without one it may be confusing for some to remember what button on the keyboard is for what color.

If you think QTE is repetitive, well you can say the same for any Hack and Slash game out there, or any shooter where you are just mowing down stuff all day with guns. People using the repetitive excuse in these reviews are just lazy reviewers repeating the critics main grips. At least make your own observations people.
  4. Oct 21, 2014
    Great graphics. Good plot. Good characters. Great animations. Great combat but it gets a bit repetitive but it is so great looking that you would still look at those animations a thousand times. For a sequel we would need more variation in combat without ruining the great feedback and power of each blow and more enemies 3d models.
  5. Oct 25, 2014
    Well, though mostly dislike it, I personally think it's quite a good game...especially the graphics..the control a bit confusing though, but this game has a good campaign overall..
    i guess if the developer make it more serious like they did with Crysis, it would boom and loved even more.
  6. Oct 26, 2014
    What the f**k is wrong with people? And critics? GTFOoH! Seriously! This IS a great game. Sure, it has its ups and downs, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. Pretty short, yes, but at least it doesn't have a moment of dullness. Storywise it's also good enough, Not the greatest, but good enough. Graphics is gorgeous, really, sometimes even breathtaking. Though the gameplay and combat system couldWhat the f**k is wrong with people? And critics? GTFOoH! Seriously! This IS a great game. Sure, it has its ups and downs, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. Pretty short, yes, but at least it doesn't have a moment of dullness. Storywise it's also good enough, Not the greatest, but good enough. Graphics is gorgeous, really, sometimes even breathtaking. Though the gameplay and combat system could use some polish, it is very fluid and enjoyable, fits the setting and story.
    If you like the Roman setting, a pinch of mythology, intense, satisfying close combat and good story, don't hesitate, GET THIS!
  7. Oct 24, 2014
    Love it. Has the right difficulty, great cut scenes, most beautiful graphics, and a very good story. I loved the fight, it was a little bit repetitive, but i could not get bored of it.
  8. Oct 14, 2014
    A visually sumptuous game. Showcasing what graphics can look like if that is the only aspect that you concentrate on, which unfortunately they did.A shallow game with basica fight mechanics. However a very rewarding experience and a short play through. Will take around 10hrs to complete. All action gameplay, which there is a market for, but I think PC gamers want more. Pick up and playA visually sumptuous game. Showcasing what graphics can look like if that is the only aspect that you concentrate on, which unfortunately they did.A shallow game with basica fight mechanics. However a very rewarding experience and a short play through. Will take around 10hrs to complete. All action gameplay, which there is a market for, but I think PC gamers want more. Pick up and play carnage is only fun for so long and they capture that length well. The game benefits immensely from the locations and themes in this game. A few interesting twists and a good story. Worth a play through. It has the feel of an Uncharted game. A rollercoaster that lets you ride the tracks, you may fall out but you hop right back in where you left it. Expand
  9. Oct 13, 2014
    I give it a score of 9 out of 10

What can one say about such a game? It a lot like a movie and that what ya get is nothing short of amazing, from the stellar music, good ol classic story of revenge with great characters, good fighting system "though not the best" and above all some of the best graphics ever seen to date. I knew this game would have some bugs at first and that's why i
    I give it a score of 9 out of 10

What can one say about such a game? It a lot like a movie and that what ya
    I knew this game would have some bugs at first and that's why i didn't buy it on day one.
    Saw that there were some issues and it looks like the devs got right on it so that made believe in it.
  10. Oct 23, 2014
    Pros:Graphics,Ending,story
    Cons:gameplay battle system

This is the best game of crytek ever made.....................................................
  11. Nov 1, 2014
    I enjoyed this game a lot. I have heard a lot complains of fighting system, but in my opinion it is close to the perfect. Since it is Roman soldier with sword and shield he can't do much more what he already does in this game. Story and graphics are amazing and gameplay is good. Campaign is too short and there is none re-play value. I would suggest to buy this on sale, but not for full price.
  12. Jun 21, 2015
    I Love this game . People which critic this game so hard perhaps havent finished it . If more i play this game then more i love it . Its something differrent than positive criticed games
  13. Oct 13, 2014
    I like this game because it's Crytek. Because here cinematic graphics, medieval Rome and there are no elves. But it seemed short game. Probably because it was interesting.
    Don't die, Crytek.
  14. Oct 11, 2014
    Love this game, something different from usual FPS and 3rd person game. Most games have same/similar story and can be boring. People do say that Ryse is repetitive but are not all the other games repetitive? E.G shooting enemies in different maps. People are annoyed because of short campaign but like all of the crytek games have short campaigns.
  15. Oct 13, 2014
    What I don't like is when game is getting bashed for being repetitive...

WHAT GAME ISN'T? GTA, Assasin, Max, Oblivion...any game out there is REPETITIVE!!! Difference is - what game makes it feel great. Well, this game sure does. Visuals are superb in all manner - from pure techical detail to visual style and art in general! Audio is excellent. Gameplay, yes...it is
    What I don't like is when game is getting bashed for being repetitive...

WHAT GAME ISN'T?

GTA, Assasin, Max, Oblivion...any game out there is REPETITIVE!!!

Difference is - what game makes it feel great.

Well, this game sure does.

Audio is excellent.

Gameplay, yes...it is repetitive...but then it feels so great and it is intuitive and overwhelming.

Action and story is on par with every blockbuster out there.

ONLY thing that could be better, in my opinion, is skill trees and execution upgrade. Feels kinda irrelevant.

Oh yes, and "on the fly" booster selection is awesome gimmick.

ALL IN ALL.

This is a great title that deserves much more credit.

Especially when some hyped titles get great scores they do not deserve.

This is a good step forward in gaming history!
  16. Nov 12, 2015
    Story is great and unexpected.

Graphics are WOW

Gameplay is Fun and Cool .
  17. Oct 12, 2014
    Amazing game, loved it from start to end. Great action, great story, great graphics, alot of playtime and I would love a second part. Been wanting this game since it came for XBox, it is totaly worth a try.
  18. Nov 1, 2014
    This is without a doubt the most beautiful game ever made. And not only beautiful, but detailed, animated and presented. Everything is dynamic, lighting is awesome, level design and architecture are perfect work of art. Running the game maxed out on a GTX970 is pure orgasm. The gameplay is admittedly simple, but still thigh and reactive. The shield wall formation portions are something newThis is without a doubt the most beautiful game ever made. And not only beautiful, but detailed, animated and presented. Everything is dynamic, lighting is awesome, level design and architecture are perfect work of art. Running the game maxed out on a GTX970 is pure orgasm. The gameplay is admittedly simple, but still thigh and reactive. The shield wall formation portions are something new and very nice, but for the rest I agree it's missing some diversity. The finisher moves executions are probably the worst part of the game. While the animations are very nice and diverse, the slow-motion/stop others enemies from moving and press the correct corresponding color button get old very fast. This is the only reason why the game did not get 10/10. If this is a glance of what the future of video game is, things are looking quite bright ahead!

I'm disappointed at the current low score this game have, gamers seriously don't know what's good for them.
  19. Jan 21, 2015
    The best graphics ingame of the history. I don't know why is so low the score because it's awesome, fantastic an very funny. Only the duration short, but for me it's a fantastic game.
  20. Oct 11, 2014
    Game is awesome! It has a Batman-like combat system just like Sleeping Dogs, Shadow of Mordor and other new third person games. Graphics are incredible (better than Metro Redux) and plays with +30 FPS on R7 260x + i5 4430. The story is interesting, the action is really immersive and intense and the soundtrack really sets the mood.

No complaints.
  21. Sep 9, 2016
    One of the most underrated games of the generation. Shows you what a joke is "gaming journalism". This game is one of the best hack and slash games i have ever played.

It has incredible graphics and is extremely optimized, has nice keyboard and mouse controls, satisfying and gory combat, and a nice story. It is not very long, but it is replayable. Sure, this game is no masterpiece,

Sure, this game is no masterpiece, but it is one of the best on its genre. You don't do much, just hack and slash increasingly more difficult enemies, and proceed to the next corridor. But 99% of the modern AAA games are similar, yet no one complains. How come God of War can get stellar reviews and this was buried by the same reviewers? Same on you, "professionals".

This game is a 8/10, giving it a 10 to counter the retards.
  22. Dec 17, 2017
    I was trying a bunch of games tonight on my new gtx 1080 and this is the one I enjoyed the most. I think it would be great to have an option so it's a bit less violent (blood, sound) but otherwise the graphics are nice and the combats are fun, so far. At full price, I can understand the bad reviews for 6 hours of campaign but for 10-20$, I think the game deserves at least a 7.
  23. Oct 31, 2016
    Ive red some of the reviews and I think people forgot that this is a slasher... They expect some miracles in the field of combat which is anyway pretty good. Story line its interesting and graphics are beautiful although FPS drops happens so thats -1 from the perfect 10. Its a good SLASHER game.
  24. Apr 3, 2016
    I bought Ryse: Son of Rome with discount for EUR 5 on Steam. For that money I got around 7 hours gameplay for singleplayer campaign. And that I think is what one should expect from the game: simle action game to play instead of going for a movie.

The game features superb graphics I caught myself looking at some of the vistas for some time. It a dynamic combat system based on attacks and executions similar to games like Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor or - to some extent - Dying Light. But the comparison ends there as Ryse does not have the sandbox mode that the aforementioned games have.

In general the gameplay is smooth and fun on PC and I would consider it as a good port. You cannot map controls but since you really only need 7 keys (four movement keys, dodg, block and execute) the standard WSAD + LShift + E + Space worked fine for me.

So all in all given the low price of EUR 5, Ryse was a good purchase for me and I recommend it to anybody who loves this type of game. However I can totally understand people who bought the game for full price rating it lower or even giving it sub 5 rating if their expectations were much higher.
  25. Feb 25, 2015
    At a price point of 15-20 dollars, this game is criminally underrated. Gorgeous graphics (hard to believe it was on that peasant console) and entertaining combat, despite the repetition. Story and voice-acting are very well-done, which is a breath of fresh air from the recent games that had pretty crappy stories. I can see why people would get angry if they paid 40-60 dollars for thisAt a price point of 15-20 dollars, this game is criminally underrated. Gorgeous graphics (hard to believe it was on that peasant console) and entertaining combat, despite the repetition. Story and voice-acting are very well-done, which is a breath of fresh air from the recent games that had pretty crappy stories. I can see why people would get angry if they paid 40-60 dollars for this since it is short. Wait for a steam sale and enjoy the 5-6 cinematic beauty this game throws you into. Shame there won't be a sequel but I'm glad they ported it over to the rightful platform. Expand
  26. Dec 25, 2016
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a very interesting game, that although for some would seem short, it comes packed with the potential to make every single hour you invest in it worth it an enjoyable.

Some things I really liked: - Graphics - Plot (Although it could have been better) - Characters are vivid and you feel identified with them - Gameplay: Exterminations and Tactic oriented combat was

Some things I really liked:
    - Graphics
    - Plot (Although it could have been better)
    - Characters are vivid and you feel identified with them
    - Gameplay: Exterminations and Tactic oriented combat was interesting.

I was not appealed by:
    - Skill systems and upgrades: Feels somehow short
    - The collection systems: Picking up scrolls and the likes did not add aggregate value to me.
    - For some the game combat can become repetitive.

I would definitely give the game an 8/10. Enjoyed it a lot!

I did not try the multiplayer, so cannot comment on it.
  27. Feb 8, 2015
    Game is perfect example of masterpiece in any way it could be. Astonishing graphics, strong story, cool effects, great combos & gameplay. I can't think about any minuses of this game. It's just awesome. If you're fan of old wars, gladiators, Rome theme, if you like the movies like "The Eagle", "Gladiator" & "300" then this game is for you! I'm giving this beautiful piece of art 10/10.
  28. Mar 27, 2015
    Ennesimo gioco bistrattato dalla critica che a me invece è piaciuto moltissimo..... insomma, non dico sempre, ma ogni tanto trovarsi di fronte ad un gioco che punta tutto sulla sceneggiatura fa piacere.
    E' vero, il gameplay è un tantino ripetitivo.... ma la campagna progredisce così velocemente che difficilmente ci si ferma troppo a pensare al combat system, anzi tutt'altro... la voglia di addentrarsi sempre più nella trama alla fine riesce a far dimenticare certi difettucci.
    Insomma niente da ridire su questo gioco, durata nella norma (per la tipologia), storia interessante, grafica e combat system sono logicamente pensati per garantire un certo impatto visivo all'utente... e così è.
  29. Dec 25, 2015
    EXECUTION TIME!

EXECUTION TIME!

I would rate this game a 7, but I have to give it higher to counter the noobs who rated it red. The game is short, there is not much to it, but graphically it is without equal and the gameplay (oh my, the executions!!!) only begins to wear out it's welcome at the end of the short 5 hour "story". It's a Xbox One tech demo. Expect that. Do not expect a full fledged ARPG.Pay $10 or less and you should not be disappointed, especially if you like God of War type games or roman type settings.
  30. Jul 13, 2016
    I'm a massive classical antiquity buff, fan of Greek/Roman lore. So perhaps that makes me a little biased, however I have to say this game is absolutely incredible for it's genre! Having played and really enjoyed other games such as Lord of the rings; this game is likewise amazing. It not only has the best graphics I have ever seen in such a title, but every little detail has beenI'm a massive classical antiquity buff, fan of Greek/Roman lore. So perhaps that makes me a little biased, however I have to say this game is absolutely incredible for it's genre! Having played and really enjoyed other games such as Lord of the rings; this game is likewise amazing. It not only has the best graphics I have ever seen in such a title, but every little detail has been painstakingly molded. It seamlessly transitions from the story to the game-play, the story-line is fantastic, very well acted. Amazing animations. Oh and really enjoyable combat. Then it also has multiplayer.... Cannot fathom why anyone would give it less than 8.. Expand
  31. May 2, 2017
    My Opinion of Ryse: Son of Rome - 8/10

Difficulty: Centurion When I first started this game, I was already amazed by the power of CRYENGINE, I've always known the engine's capabilities and it's reputation, but Ryse: Son of Rome looked visually absolutely stunning! The animations, camera movements, lighting..everything felt lifelike, which gave me an immersed feeling while playing.
    My Opinion of Ryse: Son of Rome - 8/10

Difficulty: Centurion

When I first started this game, I was already amazed by the power of CRYENGINE, I've always known the engine's capabilities and it's reputation, but Ryse: Son of Rome looked visually absolutely stunning! The animations, camera movements, lighting..everything felt lifelike, which gave me an immersed feeling while playing. The combat however was a little repetitive, though the executions looked awesome and had a 300-like style, it felt very repetitive because of the same way you have to deal with enemies and the same way you kill them over and over again, this game is very focused on it's combat but I think that could've been done better. The story however is a big plus for me, I always get attracted to games with a good story and this is certainly one of them, I agree however that some characters could've been better developed as in that we know very little of them while we'd like to know more. Aside from that the overall storyline was really great and felt like I was truly a Roman. The only thing I do not like is the fact that everything is linear and scripted, no dynamic changes into the story or environment. Would've loved to explore more of Rome in this game, especially with those stunning visuals.

Pro's:

Beautiful environments powered by the stunning visuals and audio of CRYENGINE
    Amazing storyline
    Lifelike and immersive cinematics and cutscenes
    Time setting and location

Cons:

Repetitive combat
    Short campaign (would've liked to see more)
    Undeveloped characters
    Everything is linear and scripted

Conclusion:

Ryse: Son of Rome is certainly a game worth playing with stunning looking visuals and lifelike cutscenes & cinematics. The story is very good with the feel of being an actual Roman, though the campaign is very short and linear, it is very enjoyable as well. The combat feels a bit repetitive and not much variety in both enemies and kill actions. I would recommend this game for people who love the Roman history, along with some action, a good story and amazing visuals.
  32. Sep 3, 2016
    Great game, great story, great soundtrack, great gameplay especially with a controller and the most beautiful feature of this is the astonishing graphics. On the other hand it is a little bit too violent and I think this is making the game to departure from reality NOT to get close of it. Worth to give it a try. (75/100 for me)
  33. Mar 18, 2016
    * The game has great graphics, and many characters are perfected polygons
    * cut scenes are great and animation is excellent looks like real
    * story line is good and interesting * Field of view is narrow while running, * The way the character moves while running and annoying dodging camera, should be better, * Hit and slash again and again is annoying little bit, but fighting is brutal
    * The game has great graphics, and many characters are perfected polygons
    * cut scenes are great and animation is excellent looks like real
    * story line is good and interesting
    * Field of view is narrow while running,
    * Hit and slash again and again is annoying little bit, but fighting is brutal with nice cinematic scenes,
    * If the game was more to adventure or finding secrets, and exploring places would be perfect,
  34. Oct 17, 2015
    Ryse is a story driven third person, action adventure game with a heavy focus on melee combat.

Visually it's absolutely spectacular, it very much left me in awe on the same level as The Order 1886 did. The in-game facial expressions are the best I've ever seen, when you're fighting enemies you can see the fear in their eyes, and the pain on their face as you kill them, it's really amazing. The cut scenes are also really well done, and the little cinematics are great as well but I would have liked more of them.

To go along with the top notch visuals the audio is also really top tier, with quality voice work throughout. The characters are really brought to life by these exceptional performances and the whole game feels like a well made film that you're directing.

Gameplay wise it's solid as well, you have your standard weak attack, strong attack, block and dodge. What makes the combat so great are the slow motion execute moves, they're absolutely brutal with limbs flying off all over the place, and swords being plunged where they shouldn't be plunged. They're glorified QTE's with the enemies glowing either yellow (y) or blue (x) but you don't care because they're so satisfying. There's a unique mechanic where you can gain either health, XP, focus or damage when performing an execute move depending on which one you select (can be changed freely with the D-pad if you use a controller).

The one area the game falls is the performance, it's not optimised well at all. I spent a lot of time on Google trying to find fixes and optimal settings and even when using them the game still dropped frames fairly often, massively so in a couple of areas. It was not uncommon to go from 100fps to 20 - 30fps for a split second. I managed to mostly eliminate these huge drops with a little tweaking, but nothing I did removed the small dips.

The next time this is on sale I would highly recommend buying it, it's only 6 - 7 hours worth of content so bear that in mind, it's maybe not worth £25 but it's definitely worth the £8 I paid for it.
  35. Dec 23, 2014
    Such a gem of a game! Amazing graphics and awesome story. Taking control of a legion is so awesome!

Anyone looking for a good Roman times game and immersive combat should play this. Don't believe the reviews.
  36. Dec 21, 2016
    Ryse is amazing game. Very fun, crazy graphics one of the best of all time and good story. I hope for ryse 2. Please crytec dont leave this excellent game
  37. May 29, 2015
    I am delight of this game! The masterpiece of game industry has come! Impressive! So good. I haven't gone it at all but almost. The script looks like the Hollywood's film. Good slasher and interesting as well.I don't understand people who write that the game has bad gameplay, short, etc. Can't, just can't put this game lower than 10.
  38. Apr 5, 2015
    Je to nářez maximální :) Bavilo mě to každopádně celou hru, ... ta hra nedá moc vydechnout ... komba jsou skvělé, nenudí a neomrzí ... divim se nízkému hodnocení této pařby.
  39. May 11, 2015
    Um dos jogos fotorealistas mais incríveis de todos os tempos que traz consigo um modo multiplayer ( Gladiator Mode ) tão sensacional quanto aquele filmaço homônimo dirigido pelo mestre Ridley Scott que fora vencedor do Oscar de melhor filme no ano de 2001!

Ignore os críticos e compre esse jogaço e lute pela Glória de Roma!!!

Roma, Victor!!

Força & Honra!!
  40. May 15, 2015
    Absolutely GOTY!

I seriously cant understand the low score. Game is 10/10 gorgeous! As for the gameplay: AMAZING and addictive! Only downside i can find is: Not long enough! It has for about 10/15 hrs of gameplay WITH decent replayabilty. A serious 9/10 you can rarely find! Performance: Really well optimized on 4770k, GTX 780. Which is my setup= ran WITHOUT any problem on
    Absolutely GOTY!

I seriously cant understand the low score. Game is 10/10 gorgeous!

As for the gameplay: AMAZING and addictive!

Performance: Really well optimized on 4770k, GTX 780. Which is my setup= ran WITHOUT any problem on HIGHEST graphics WITHOUT SMAA, for obvious reasons, SMAA is OP. ABSOLUTELY no aliansing issues AT ALL! This is like a first game in forever wthout aliansing issues, using temporal aliansing(Nvidia TXAA).
    I did have LOTS of framedrops on a bit open and graphics demanding areas. Those framedrops usually fell down to 30 at minimum and usually stayed at 45. Otherwise it was a CONSTANT 60fps...
  41. Oct 18, 2015
    Excelente game, uma pena não ter jogado antes, Bons gráficos, trilha sonora e jogabilidade. Só faltou ser mais longo e menos linear. 100% Recomendado!!!
  42. Nov 6, 2015
    RYSE SON OF ROME best ever storyline and stunning amazing graphics and voice. we need ryse 2. crytek never made dissappointing to its gamers fan. pleaseee second hack and slash title.
  43. Apr 18, 2016
    I understand many of the bad critics made for this game, most of them talk about the simplicity of the combat system, a restricted area for playing and historical mistakes (I got a bit angry myself when I first saw the colosseum, wasn't built yet by then). All that may be kind of true, but, this game was not made with the purpose of giving awesome combat, immersive open world or historyI understand many of the bad critics made for this game, most of them talk about the simplicity of the combat system, a restricted area for playing and historical mistakes (I got a bit angry myself when I first saw the colosseum, wasn't built yet by then). All that may be kind of true, but, this game was not made with the purpose of giving awesome combat, immersive open world or history lessons; this tgame is not even a game, is a film about a DIFFERENT Rome in which you can interact. Yes the Emperor is called Nero and Boudica existed, but apart from that everithing is part of another reality (Armors, characters, elephants in Britain, legend of Damocles...). I really enjoyed the game and its plot, full of great interpretations, good cutscenes and better dialogues.
    It has also some cons though, almost all the enmies look the same, there's very few variation on their looks, and the fact that you cannot customize the controls is quite annoying. To sum up , if you play this game dont expect too much liberty or historical accuracy, you're playing a fiction film!
  44. Jul 7, 2016
    What is great about Ryse: Son of Rome, it's graphics. It is extremely cool when we're talking about graphics. You will see high-quality textures, good lighting, etc. I was amazed with quality, really. Moreover, there's an interesting plot and pretty good gameplay. Recommended, but remind that it's only for one completing.
  45. Jan 28, 2017
    NICE GAME with amazing graphics and voice actor. The story is also interesting and will make you curious what will happen next. game mechanics is repetitive, but it is covered by amazing story and graphics. Great for you who only wants a nice graphic with hack and slash action
  46. Sep 8, 2018
    The game starts out and it immediately feels like its trying to be cinematic. You start out in a location and then it cuts back in time to show you how your character got to that point. The intro is fine but a lot of times thats to create ambiguity and you feel curious but this game didn’t do a great job of peaking my curiosity. I kept playing because the combat seem fun and eventually theThe game starts out and it immediately feels like its trying to be cinematic. You start out in a location and then it cuts back in time to show you how your character got to that point. The intro is fine but a lot of times thats to create ambiguity and you feel curious but this game didn’t do a great job of peaking my curiosity. I kept playing because the combat seem fun and eventually the story did intrigue me but it did not get its hooks into me initially.

To boil the story to its most simplistic, it ends up being a boiler plate revenge story. Which I found to be incredibly disappointing, you’re in Ancient Rome but you don’t really take advantage of it. Its a story that could fit in almost any era and thats a bummer.

What ended up carrying this game for me personally was its combat. Its not a combat that you want to engage in for a long time but for the games 7-8 hours, its the perfect amount of time to have enjoy the combat but not get sick of it. The combat really kind of reminded me of Shadow of Mordor, its very mashy and beat em’ up where you attack, counter and then go back to attacking. Eventually you wear down the enemies to the point where you can finish them off with a special kill move. The animations took a little longer than you would want but atleast there were quite of few different killing animations so atleast they felt somewhat fresh.

I did enjoy my time with the game, this is one of those games where I bought this game for cheap and enjoyed it. If I spent $60 on the game, I would probably have a different outlook on this game. It definitely wasn’t worth the $60 but if you can get it under $20, its not a bad game to sit down and play through some weekend.
  47. Dec 26, 2016
    Its really hard to judge this game, because it won't get high score if you judge it against all other games overall, but if you judge for what it is, short but very intensive and emotional experience, it is great and does its job very well. Depends of what you expect. I played it through 3 times in 2 years and liked it every time, not really caring about how it compares to other gamesIts really hard to judge this game, because it won't get high score if you judge it against all other games overall, but if you judge for what it is, short but very intensive and emotional experience, it is great and does its job very well. Depends of what you expect. I played it through 3 times in 2 years and liked it every time, not really caring about how it compares to other games overall, not really looking into details and flaws so much, which I normally do and this makes it hard to get into the games with some major flaws, so it means that Ryse is very engaging if it managed to make me ignore the flaws and enjoy the game, 3 times. Expand
  48. Jan 15, 2017
    Ryse: Son of Rome is different but enjoyable third person shooter game.
    Movement combinations just a little hard but you take
    pleasant when you learn.
  49. Apr 16, 2018
    Fantastic game. Story is extremely compelling and graphics are amazing. Combat can become a little stale but overall does not diminish from the games integrity.
  50. Sep 3, 2018
    Juegazo, muy buenos gráficos, buena jugabilidad, historia algo corta. Muy recomendable !!!
  51. Jan 7, 2015
    ok, so this game was both good and bad!
    the game play was so poor and and it didn't have any cool moments
    the levels were so boring that i wanted to sleep so if i want to judge till this part it would be 50/100 But the final 3 levels were actually really really good they were nearly perfect. i can say that the last 3 levels were a good 90/100 and the graphics were really really good
    ok, so this game was both good and bad!
    the game play was so poor and and it didn't have any cool moments
    the levels were so boring that i wanted to sleep
    so if i want to judge till this part it would be 50/100
    But the final 3 levels were actually really really good
    they were nearly perfect. i can say that the last 3 levels were a good 90/100
    and the graphics were really really good and without any serious bugs and the frame rate was fixed on 30 so it was 79 or 80 overall.
  52. Nov 10, 2014
    Believe me, This is the first game in years that made me spent more than 25 minutes playing it without getting bored i'm actually almost done with it, and i have almost 200+ games in steam.

Graphics are kewl, gameplay is repetitive but hey, what can i say after the good old days of grinding in Silkroad. One of the best ports to date. And hurts to say it is a port, thank the greedy

One of the best ports to date. And hurts to say it is a port, thank the greedy companies that forgot about the real gamers (PC GAMERS)
  53. Nov 15, 2014
    I was not expecting this game to be so much addictive, the graphics are really appreciable, the game is well optimized. The Story was so addicted that i played this game so quickly that i wanted to see the end.The combat system is not hard, a noob can easily end the game. I really enjoyed the game so i hope you will too BUT there is one more thing the game is quite short, so use your moneyI was not expecting this game to be so much addictive, the graphics are really appreciable, the game is well optimized. The Story was so addicted that i played this game so quickly that i wanted to see the end.The combat system is not hard, a noob can easily end the game. I really enjoyed the game so i hope you will too BUT there is one more thing the game is quite short, so use your money carefully Expand
  54. May 12, 2020
    I love this game! Seriously play this game! I don't understand why it has 6.7 metacritic score. Very good story, very violent and bloody game, to my liking. It has also upgrade tree which is very helpful via exp, VERY BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS 4K 60 FPS its gorgeous, the actors play very awesome and finally very good optimization! The only bad thing in this game is the 5-6 hours story! I hopeI love this game! Seriously play this game! I don't understand why it has 6.7 metacritic score. Very good story, very violent and bloody game, to my liking. It has also upgrade tree which is very helpful via exp, VERY BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS 4K 60 FPS its gorgeous, the actors play very awesome and finally very good optimization! The only bad thing in this game is the 5-6 hours story! I hope microsoft to make Ryse: Son of Rome 2!, but its difficult. Expand
  55. Sep 27, 2020
    After all the bad press received for this game it’s actually a really decent game. It’s a basic hack and slash with a decent Single player and Co-op modes, with good replay ability in the co-op mode if you play with a friend, and unlike the Xbox version there’s no micro transactions. I would recommend getting it on sale though.
  56. Sep 18, 2021
    ====================IIIIIIIIII GAME SCORE : 75 IIIIIIIIII====================
  57. Sep 28, 2019
    For what the game attempts to be it succeeds. It is a fast paced combat game which requires good graphics as a selling point. It does have good graphics and an intense combat system. It isn't anything original or groundbreaking but I liked it.
  58. Feb 7, 2022
    I miss 3d combat games like this. Playing games like AC Origins and Shadow of Mordor with looting mechanics and a large open world map gets tiring. A short but combat heavy game like this is a gem. I don't mind the so called repetitive combat cause literally every combat game has this. Also, love the ancient roman setting. Not 10/10 cause the story is very cliché and the characters feelI miss 3d combat games like this. Playing games like AC Origins and Shadow of Mordor with looting mechanics and a large open world map gets tiring. A short but combat heavy game like this is a gem. I don't mind the so called repetitive combat cause literally every combat game has this. Also, love the ancient roman setting. Not 10/10 cause the story is very cliché and the characters feel one-directional. Expand
  59. Aug 16, 2020
    Когда узнал, что Crytek выпустила игру Ryse: Son of Rome про древний Рим, то очень удивился. После фар края и крайзисов вдруг: во первых игра от третьего лица, во вторых слэшер, ну скажу так не совсем то, что я привык видеть от Crytek! Очень захотелось посмотреть, но в 2013м году игра оказалась эксклюзивом XBox One. Пришлось ждать до 2014го, когда состоялся выход на Windows 10. Каково жеКогда узнал, что Crytek выпустила игру Ryse: Son of Rome про древний Рим, то очень удивился. После фар края и крайзисов вдруг: во первых игра от третьего лица, во вторых слэшер, ну скажу так не совсем то, что я привык видеть от Crytek! Очень захотелось посмотреть, но в 2013м году игра оказалась эксклюзивом XBox One. Пришлось ждать до 2014го, когда состоялся выход на Windows 10. Каково же было моё удивление, когда игра выдала, на моём "двухъядерном монстре" GeForce GTX 295, 15 кадров в секунду на самых низких настройках! Ёлки, пришлось ждать ещё почти год до покупки GTX 960. И вот на этой карте игра раскрылась на все 100%!
    Ну, что можно сказать. Красота неимоверная (только на самых высоких настройках), картинка сочная, стильная и плавная, Crytek всё таки. Анимация на высоте, многим современным играм до такого расти и расти!
    Боевая система не совсем обычная, чем то похожа на боёвку из Batman: Arkham Asylum. Все удары завязаны на четыре, разноцветные кнопки. По началу непривычно, но когда я привык.......на экране творился какой то кровавый хаос, кишки, головы, зубы, отрубленные ноги, руки, огуречик, разлетались в разные стороны! Короче красота!!! Только есть одно условие: играть надо только и исключительно на геймпаде от Xbox 360, у меня к счастью такой был. Кто не играл, мой совет: ни каких клавиатур! Игра просто потеряет 70% своего очарования. Скорее всего низкие оценки связаны именно с тем, что в Ryse: Son of Rome пытались играть на клаве или на другом джойстике. Даже не пытайтесь! Это тоже самое, как если бы какой нибудь Maserati GranCabrio заправить дешёвой соляркой и удивляться: "А чой то он ни едит не хрена, а?"
    Теперь о сюжете. Ну меня он просто порадовал. В меру драматичен, есть элементы интриги, предательство, месть.
    Спойлер.
    Что самое главное нам дадут всё таки отомстить, а не как в давешнем The Last of Us Part II! При том в этой игре мы играем за настоящего мужика, а не за трансвестита, девчонку, или бесполую бабищу! Кстати дадут набить морду страшной тетке! Теперь таких игр не делают. Никакой толерантности!!!
    Игра не такая уж длинная, но захватывает достаточно большой промежуток времени. Надоесть не успевает. Есть элементы прокачки, но совсем не замороченные, вполне хватает до конца игры.
    Чего в игре нет так это открытого мира, она сугубо линейна, хотя может это даже плюс. Вокруг тебя всегда, что то происходит и ты всегда в центре событий.
    Ещё один плюс, это конечно полная локализация, иногда есть рассинхрон с губами, но в целом очень качественно.
    Даже не знаю, почему ставлю ей не высший бал, наверное из за врагов. Они какие то однообразные. По сути дикари-британцы и гладиаторы в конце. Хотелось бы побольше мистики, что ли!
    Жаль, что игра получила достаточно холодный приём. Может в 2014м, мир ещё не был готов к таким экспромтам Crytek? К сожалению сиквел ждать не приходится. А жаль!
  60. Jan 12, 2021
    Desde que lançou esse game não joguei por que a galera na net criticou muito por ser um game linear e curto.
    Resolvi dar uma chance e me surpreendi muito.
    A historia é muito boa, modo de combate incrivel principalmente as finalizações.
    Recomendo, bom game pra zerar.
  61. Dec 13, 2019
    This game is just pure fun . Tactical sword play , you can switch between , health , damage , xp and focus abilities. The executions are brutal spectacle. PC port wise it runs ok on my Intel card. 8/10
  62. Apr 15, 2020
    Даже спустя столько лет игра способна дать фору многим современным играм. Великолепно.
  63. Apr 27, 2020
    Es un juego con graficas excelentes, el diseño de niveles está bien pues todo apunta a vivir la historia de marius y cada escenario es variado y con mucho nivel de detalle, el sistema de combate es desafiante al principio, luego te adaptas y es relativamente sencillo, en cuanto a la dificultad de los patrones de combate de los enemigos siento que hubieran podido mejorar un poco más, esEs un juego con graficas excelentes, el diseño de niveles está bien pues todo apunta a vivir la historia de marius y cada escenario es variado y con mucho nivel de detalle, el sistema de combate es desafiante al principio, luego te adaptas y es relativamente sencillo, en cuanto a la dificultad de los patrones de combate de los enemigos siento que hubieran podido mejorar un poco más, es decir más variedad de enemigos, en cuanto al diseño de los enemigos deberían haber agregado mas diseños de rostros, puesto que prácticamente en todo el juego los enemigos tienen las mismas caras, los combos de asesinato hubieran podido ser mucho más variados, la pelea final no presenta un reto demasiado exigente puesto que solo basta observar el patrón de ataque unos segundos para descifrar todos los movimientos, aun asi no le quita lo divertido, la banda sonora es maravillosa, el diseño de los personajes principales está muy bien trabajado. Expand
  64. Jun 29, 2020
    Muy buen juego, buena historia, el combate aunque las mecánicas son algo repetitivas es bestial.
  65. Jun 22, 2020
    good game. the story is interesting, though it could have offered more lore.

is not long but neither is short. has some good collectibles (comics and texts) which, if you want to read them all, you certainly will have to replay most missions at least a second time to find them all. so take your time to explore your surroundings and don't forget to look behind you. and when you are at
    good game. the story is interesting, though it could have offered more lore.

and when you are at the beach make sure to find all the skulls, it gives you a nice easter egg.
  66. Apr 11, 2022
    A masterpiece has been created according to 2013. The story of the game is very good, I liked it very much. I would recommend it to everyone.
  67. Jul 14, 2020
    My only complain is that the game is a bit short and there is a lack of combat and enemy variety.
  68. Aug 26, 2020
    La jugabilidad es muy repetitiva pero eso no significa que esta mal solo tienen que agregar algo como mejores armaduras, tipos de espadas, misiones buenas y el sigilo seria excelente! Es buen juego este juego merece una segunda entrega.
  69. Dec 19, 2020
    I really liked this game. Very interesting and exciting plot, with no less interesting gameplay. BUT there is one minous. Very short game. If i wanted to get through the game quickly, i would have completed it in 6 hours at the maximum difficulty level.
  70. Nov 24, 2020
    ........... kk... kkkklööösldldkkfkkdkskkskakslhdlehşşeşheşheşle şheşegşhptwpnpw
  71. Feb 18, 2022
    An absolutely amazing experience and the most underrated game ever made! Totally recommend it! I've already done 2 playthroughs and I still to do one or many more because of how satisfying the combat is, it is simple but it is really fun. Totally recommended
  72. Jan 26, 2022
    Attention: That's just my opinion!

Ryse: Son of Rome - War between Barbarian So I played single-player, I liked the story and gameplay of the game the most, the combat system and mechanics were the best. The story of the game is very interesting about the Roman Empire and architecture with a different story about interesting military and characters, the story of the game is such that
    Attention: That's just my opinion!

Ryse: Son of Rome - War between Barbarian

So I played single-player, I liked the story and gameplay of the game the most, the combat system and mechanics were the best. The story of the game is very interesting about the Roman Empire and architecture with a different story about interesting military and characters, the story of the game is such that the Roman Empire fights the barbarians, the game itself shows what a war is and how spoiled emperors are. I personally liked the characters in the game, because the game shows the story of the characters not only, but also allows you to get used to the character. The game's fighting system is brutally impressive, with so much mechanics and killing animation. The game's graphics look impressive, even on low graphics it looks very nice because the textures don't blend and don't look like PlayStation 1 graphics. The enemies of the game were also fun with a few different soldiers with different skills and tactics, but I wanted more different soldiers with different skills. The music in the game is very great and good, very satisfying in the action of the excitement. In the game you can upgrade your character with certain skills and in the game you can look for an interesting collection, but they will not give you any skill.

The game is truly awesome and worthy of attention with a fascinating story and architecture, not only but the characters are cool, interesting and the most fighting system and mechanics are very amazing. I would rate this game 9/10.
  73. Jun 18, 2021
    + Combat
    + ROOOME
    + Graphics

- Performance

ROME WILL NOT FALL! this is an absolute masterpiece of a game and the most underrated game i've ever played :(
    SOLID 10/10

Mixed or average reviews - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 15, 2015
    If you are in the mood to spend a weekend enjoying some graphic ultra-violence with your brain turned off, then Ryse: Son of Rome should make a nice addition to your library, especially if you can find it on a Steam sale.
  2. CD-Action
    Jan 9, 2015
    It treats players like drooling idiots that expect games to play themselves. [13/2014, p.62]
  3. Nov 11, 2014
    Ryse is very simplistic, but at least it’s beautiful to look at. No wonder Microsoft made it a launch title for Xbox One – it is an ideal introduction to slashers. Unfortunately, if you have played other, better-designed games, Ryse will quickly disappoint you.