7.8

1. Nov 15, 2013
    Firstly I'd like to state my experience with fighting games. I only play SF4 and done all trials on SSF4 so I know the game mechanics of that game very well. Coming to Skullgirls, it was a pleasant change to see a fighting game have an extensive tutorial. Everything from movement, blocking, blockstun and recovery concepts, high and low attacks, combo chains, air combos, the differentFirstly I'd like to state my experience with fighting games. I only play SF4 and done all trials on SSF4 so I know the game mechanics of that game very well. Coming to Skullgirls, it was a pleasant change to see a fighting game have an extensive tutorial. Everything from movement, blocking, blockstun and recovery concepts, high and low attacks, combo chains, air combos, the different attacks, throws and techs, infinite breaker etc. Every aspect of the game is perfectly taught in the tutorial. Each character also has their own specific tutorial explaining their moves and how they should be played. So very impressive stuff. However, there are no combo trials like in Street Fighter, the final boss in story mode is really cheap and there are no animated cutscenes or voices so story is literally just text. But what really puts me off this game is not these things, but the characters. The game mechanics are excellent and don't have things tacked on for the sake of it like Street Fighter x Tekken, but the characters don't really suit the game. I don't mind that there are only 8 characters and they are all REALLY DIFFERENT from each other, but none of them seem to play how you'd expect them. They have crazy moves which seem like gimmicks and these playstyles are very unconventional compared to other fighting games. However, I do like that you can choose to play as up to three characters, with the trade-off of choosing less being more health. But I dislike all the characters and their moves lists and their jumping range and everything else. It's hard to tell what's going on because of all these gimmicks and flash on screen. Comboing is pretty much like Marvel vs Capcom 3 where there is no timing involved it's literally do each attack straight after the other no timing to master like Street Fighter. My recommendation is that if you want a fighting game which is less about grounded fundamentals and more about craziness like MvC3 then get this. If you like Street Fighter it's probably not for you. Expand
  2. Nov 17, 2013
    Tried this on free weekend on Steam. Not a bad game, really. But I doubt this franchise will last long, specially with import (japanese) fighting games which are way much better than this.

The characters are obviously too surreal and has no "cool" factor like those in the bigger franchise such as Tekken and SF. They are adorable and sometimes disturbing too. But I admire the creativity.

Character roster are too small, compare to KOF XIII (which has released on steam)

If you want to go surreal with "cool factor" try Guilty Gear.
  3. Nov 17, 2013
    Skullgirls is nothing revolutionary. It's a slightly annoying if otherwise polished fighting game. If you're looking for fluidly drawn fighting fighting breasts then Vanguard Princess is a better bet. If you're in it for the gameplay and enjoy fighters then you'll probably enjoy this but just don't expect anything special.
  4. Sep 24, 2013
    well, its a nice game but it kinda get very monotonous after you are done with the story mode...but its also very challenging.And considering the fact that they are only girls ;)...its not that bad
  5. Dec 17, 2016
    Hát nem tudom, hogy ki hogy van vele, de ami 2D-s grafikára épülő verekedős játék az nálam csak jó pont. Hozzáadva egy beteg, koponyalányokkal teli, ám gyönyörű stílust és máris imádom.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 6 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 30, 2013
    A sharp, snazzy and accessible fighting game, held back by the unnecessary sexualisation of its antagonists.
  2. CD-Action
    Oct 16, 2013
    A fighting game that should appeal to everyone regardless of their experience with the genre. Friendly to newcomers (but it does not reward button mashing) and deep enough for the seasoned enthusiasts. [11/2013, p.82]
  3. Sep 13, 2013
    An atypical fighting game, but one of the best that you can play to introduce yourself to the genre.