7.9

1. Nov 20, 2019
    Had this been a traditional platforming experience (like Ratchet and Clank) without the forced check-pointing system and pseudo Sekiro combat, and mostly on rails pseudo platforming, this would perhaps make for a great game. But as it stands it takes too many cues from Uncharted and failed attempts to be like Sekiro (or Dark Souls), bringing it down to a an ultimately grating experienceHad this been a traditional platforming experience (like Ratchet and Clank) without the forced check-pointing system and pseudo Sekiro combat, and mostly on rails pseudo platforming, this would perhaps make for a great game. But as it stands it takes too many cues from Uncharted and failed attempts to be like Sekiro (or Dark Souls), bringing it down to a an ultimately grating experience that has some fun moments. Enormous potential but dashed in an attempt to follow trends and perhaps rush the release in time for the Mandalorian. You can't rate a game on what it could be, only what you have in front of you. Unresponsive combat, a lack of polish on certain environments, poor level design, and a boring protagonist only add to its irks. Positives are the poncho collection, light-saber and storm-troopers. The cut scenes are mildly entertaining with good framing/angles normally reserved for the theatre and some of the set-pieces make for a good view. The orchestral music occasionally reminds you that this is indeed a Star Wars game. Expand
  2. Nov 15, 2019
    Boring... the game is simply boring.
    Boring... the game is simply boring.
    It's neither RPG nor platformer. You spend most of the time backtracking to locations because you didn't have the right skill to unlock something or you had to travel through half of the section just to backtrack to go somewhere else in the world just to back track again to progress further. Whole exploration is just an illusion as you are railroaded into specific areas almost at every corner.
    The game is trying very hard to be a "Dark Souls" game with very poor results. Combat isn't rewarding and very quickly becomes annoying. Every time you rest it resets all enemies and with all the backtracking you have to do I quickly started to avoid combat where possible.
    Character progression is almost non existent and just boils down to some "skill tree" unlocks but you have plenty of customisation and skins for Cal, the ship and BD 1. All you do is collect journal entries and skins, no real upgrades for your Light Sabre that would make you mote powerful, just cosmetics.
    It's EA, so I won't be surprised if we will have MTX added in a couple of months.

And now the biggest problem with the game - controls...
    It's a PC (!) game that tells you right at the beginning to use controller. The controls on KB&M are clunky at best. A developer that can't be arsed to optimise controls for mouse and keyboard on their PC port just don't deserve the money.
    Camera movement is awkward and sometimes you loose control over it completely so you have to look in specific direction or on at a specific angle. You DO NOT DO things like that on PC. EVER!!!

I gave it 5 points. It's not a bad game but it doesn't deserve 9's and 10's. People probably set the bar so low for EA games that anything that isn't an utter crap will probably score a 9 or 10.

Don't buy it. Wait for a big price drop or do what I did, get the Origin Access thing. It will cost you way less (probably closer to real value of this game) and you'll have access to some other games to try out.
    I wasn't expecting much from this game but I really like Titanfall 2 so I thought, why not I'll give it a try.
    Well... Big disappointment or at least missed opportunity...
  3. Nov 18, 2019
    100/100 or 10/10? Really? So this is the perfect game is it?

That's absolutely hilarious. It's a clunky DS clone without any of the satisfaction and the level traversing has all been done before in Tomb Raider/Uncharted. There's nothing new here, take the Star Wars element away and there's nothing of any merit to mention. It's OK, average, what it tries to do it doesn't do nearly as
    100/100 or 10/10? Really? So this is the perfect game is it?

That's absolutely hilarious.

It's a clunky DS clone without any of the satisfaction and the level traversing has all been done before in Tomb Raider/Uncharted. There's nothing new here, take the Star Wars element away and there's nothing of any merit to mention. It's OK, average, what it tries to do it doesn't do nearly as well as the games/genres that it borrows from.

Again it's hilarious how someone can give this game 100/100, do these review sites have any credibility whatsoever?
  4. Nov 21, 2019
    If you give this Game a rating higher than 7 you really should consider getting your mind fixed.
    A really mediocre game. I like the fighting system, the story & the setting. But i really hate the fact that this is Tomb Raider with a Star Wars Skin/Theme. You cannot clear one Location until you have Ability X to unlock certain Areas/Crates. Always hated these things in Tomb Raider. Less exploring and more fighting would be way better. You have to backtrack alot and unlock shortcuts in order to complete one area. All collectibles are just cosmetic and you can't even have more than 2 lightsaber colors until you have progress very far into the game. Kind of a bummer to be honest. Glad i didn't pay a single cent for this Game - i'd hella regret that.

Not sure if i continue the Game or just uninstall and forget about it.
  5. Nov 15, 2019
    I was so hyped for this game and i am so disappointed in quality.....
    I was so hyped for this game and i am so disappointed in quality.....
    Lets take the sliding sequences for example. Because in these your camera is disabled(i f#ing hate disabled cameras like rdr2 trapped in your movie viewport) and on the second Planet you have to slide around an edge and jump right after it without using your vision at all! And if you are able to change your view during a jump what happens next? You are sliding directliy into this direction ignoring physics at its finest! I have started the game in hard mode with some really annoying tutorials which pop up in the middle of any fight and cancel your evade sequence leaving you dead for sure when every hit might kill you! When you want to jump right before clifs with a path leading downwards you tend to slide down because the terrain is so "detailed"! TOTALY UNPOLISHED and for that not worth its current ranking. Far behind any FROMSOFTWARE game so let the next one be made by them plz. So many flaws ripping you out of your immersion... It feels like a game made with frostbite not unreal engine....
    Oh and i forgot, what happens when you die ridiculously 20 times on a slide? RIGHT your checkpoint is floating mid air before it where you will never get it...
    AAAAAND don't forget the stupid rubberband effect i hate since need for speed.
  6. Nov 15, 2019
    Not impressed, decent little action puzzler, with bad controls, clunky game mechanics, okay story. Don't know how it is scoring so well.
  7. Nov 15, 2019
    I haven't played through the entire game, but if I waited for that to happen I would never be able to share my opinion. The game is a waste of a Star Wars franchise. It isn't particularly fun running around as the worst Jedi ever. It's a bad platformer in the style of Darksiders with Dark Souls -tyle combat that renders a group of swamp rats as a serious threat. I like the voiceI haven't played through the entire game, but if I waited for that to happen I would never be able to share my opinion. The game is a waste of a Star Wars franchise. It isn't particularly fun running around as the worst Jedi ever. It's a bad platformer in the style of Darksiders with Dark Souls -tyle combat that renders a group of swamp rats as a serious threat. I like the voice acting, but the graphics seem somehow shaggy and less than crisp. The soundtrack and score are shockingly poor, given the franchise. It's less Darl Forces: Jedi Knight and more The Force: Unleashed with worse music, worse force powers, and slow-paced combat unworthy of a Jedi. Expand
  8. Nov 15, 2019
    Getting stuck in repeated death loops by falling through the world is so much fun
  9. Sep 20, 2020
    PROS:
    + Gorgeous graphics
    + Great music which sets the just right Star Wars mood SOMETHING IN BETWEEN: / Combat is mediocre at best. I was thrilled by those 'Souls-like' tags which were really misleading. Yes, the combat can be challenging if playing on highest difficulty. No, there's nothing more soulsike in this game. The very essence of Souls-games, character building, is missing
    PROS:
    + Gorgeous graphics
    + Great music which sets the just right Star Wars mood

SOMETHING IN BETWEEN:
    / Combat is mediocre at best. I was thrilled by those 'Souls-like' tags which were really misleading. Yes, the combat can be challenging if playing on highest difficulty. No, there's nothing more soulsike in this game. The very essence of Souls-games, character building, is missing completely. Also some of the enemies are a tad hard to read and their attack animations a bit weird.

CONS:
    - Story was kinda boring and very predictable. I barely attached to any of the characters.
    - Performance issues

I hadn't experienced any good Star Wars game since The Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 and this seemed to have some serious potential. Especially after seeing it's gameplay being described as 'Souls-like' I was really hyped. Sadly it failed to deliver and it turned out to be more Tomb Raider than Dark Souls. Souls-likedness was really far fetched in my opinion, as the only thing even relatively close to Souls were the challenging combat. The very essence of Souls-games, the character building, was missing completely. Yeah, you do earn experience from combat which you'll use to unlock new abilities for combat. You'll end up unlocking them all by the end of the game though, so there's literally no different builds to play with. Also all the loot in the game is cosmetic which you'll barely even see (lightsaber hilt, your droid and your ship). Like really?

Game wasn't all around bad as it had really gorgeous graphics. On the downside the game had some random performance issues even after tinkering with my graphics settings for quite a while. Also the music was brilliant, which together with the great visuals really set up the good atmosphere for a Star Wars game.

I don't even have too much to say about the story. It was mediocre and very predictable. I could tell how the story is gonna end even before entering the final area. Also I hardly attached to any of the characters.

For me this game felt like it was wasted potential. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it but I think it could've been miles better if they took a different approach in designing this game. Don't pay the full price. This might appeal to you if you're a fan of the SW universe or if you like Tomb Raider -like cinematic games with little emphasis on depth of the gameplay. I might need to re-play Knights of the Old Republic to get my fix of a great Star Wars -game.
  10. Oct 5, 2020
    in a Star Wars universe a kind of FPS where there is lots of back and forth to acquire skills and kill things, rinse and repeat. It's like being on a rollercoaster and that's it. In this situation, the appearance, music and ambience are pretty much irrelevant. Not awful, but not good either.
  11. Nov 16, 2019
    Took me over 15 hours the whole campaign on Jedi-Master. Here are my thoughts.

Pro : - Graphics (they are good. Not Super but good enough to be in this section) - Free Cosmetics/Collectibles (which is not common for publisher like EA) - Story started interesting and i had some flashbacks when i enjoyed the star wars battlefront 2 campaign where you play the story of the 501st that
    Took me over 15 hours the whole campaign on Jedi-Master. Here are my thoughts.

Pro :
    - Graphics (they are good. Not Super but good enough to be in this section)
    - Free Cosmetics/Collectibles (which is not common for publisher like EA)
    - Story started interesting and i had some flashbacks when i enjoyed the star wars battlefront 2 campaign where you play the story of the 501st that had to go throgh a lot of stuff.
    - Castlevania Like was ok for this one
    - Single Player Game
    - No Microtransaction
    - You get the Deluxe Edition with Premier Access (around 15 bucks a month.)
    - Stunning panorama
    - A small amount of Characters are interesting
    - Characters Animation/Expression are good/ok in little scenes/sequences

CONS :
    They are the reason why this game has only a 7/10 and is closer to a 6/10
    - Combat System is horrible on Jedi Master and upwards.
    - Extremely dumb A.I.. they stop chasing you after you run out of their "spawn location" and as soon as you enter a new set of the map.
    - You can simply run through the map without killing any troops because they "don't matter". If you want to speedrun the campaign. But nothing will wait for you after the campaign. Nothing.. Legit.. Nothing.
    - The Story itself is completely obsolete if you think about Star Wars IV. Nothing matter at the end because Luke Skywalker is going to smack the Empire anyway. Or have you ever heard of a Jedi called "Cal" ?
    - Camera problems.
    - Most Characters lack personality or have seen only Screen time because "reasons" (Merrin is just there. Cool Character but i have no clue why this character is there at the end. It looks unfinished to me.)
    - The After-Credit Scene is one of the MOST IMPORTANT THINGS in a Single player, and they didn't use this at all.
    - 60€ for a 10-15 hour campaign/ Singleplayer is overpriced at this rate of quality but its worth for 15€ Premier Access. I would pay 40-45€ for the Game itself.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen order is a ok to almost good Singleplayer Star Wars Game. Im extremely interested in the Story itself and wish they would have gotten more in depth about the transformation from Clone Troops to Stormtroopers.. Republic to Empire. The First third of the Game is awesome.. the second half is more of a "I need to learn that and it feels like a Sekiro had sex with Castlevania" but the end felt a bit rushed and stopped with an open end but i had not the feel of "I WANT MORE" it left me with a lot of confusion. Unfinished. I want them to continue this Singleplayer and improve certain things. The most important part to improve is the combat system.
  12. Nov 18, 2019
    It's biggest offense is taking the elements from the later Dark Souls games that ruined it, and makes them even worse by not implementing what made Dark Souls work.

Meaning building a combat system that is designed around timed parries and 1v1 combat, and ruin it utterly by having a very narrow FOV and placing tons of enemies in cramped spaces. But without the invisframes, so if you succesfully enter a parry, some other enemy can just knock you out of it. Meaning there is no flow to combat. It's an extremely cheap way to increase the difficulty, because the combat system is working against you, and this also means that there is no graceful way to beat it. You just have to cheaply run around and cheapshot enemies.

That arena fight.. what where they thinking? There is literally no opening. Even Ornstein and Smough, or Throne Defender & Throne Watcher weren't this cheap.

Very bad game design, because what kept you playing in Dark Souls is gradual progression against a difficult moveset. However when two large enemies curbstomp you with no real pattern, that incentive is lost. And noone can tell me they felt a sense of satisfaction when they eventually beat it. Rather a distasteful "meh".
  13. Nov 28, 2019
    The beginning of the game is pretty epic but it falls short after that - a lot of repetitive elements. I like the characters but everything feels hushed and stretched at the same time. Hushed because of the progression of the relationship between the characters and their growth during the story. Stretched because of a lot of backtracking.

Traveling to different planets feels like it is

Traveling to different planets feels like it is only in the game to give some change of scenery. And the galaxy doesn't feel big but rather small because of the amount of backtracking. Everything you find in boxes is only cosmetical and doesn't make any sense.

The thing that annoyed me the most are the sluggish controls. At the end of the game, you have several force or saber powers. But even after trying very hard I failed to trigger them reliably. Like throwing the lightsaber half of the time triggers the other attack that brings you close to the enemy. So instead of fighting from afar, I am now doing the exact opposite.
    I died so many frustrating deaths because of the controls or while I (a Jedi) am being staggered to death by some enemy. Oh and by the way you cannot stagger them back.
    In most harder fights your powers are getting blocked or don't work at all. Which reduces the fight to evade evade evade attack evade evade evade attack ... for minutes.

I was happy when the game was finally over so that I could get away from it. I cannot leave a game unfinished but I was tempted several times to destroy something out of pure frustration.

it is not a bad game but just has some very annoying issues.
  14. Nov 17, 2019
    Not a bad game, but definitely not a 10, anyone that gives this a 10 has to work for the company, half your leg or your arm goes through the wall when you jump near it, you must wait for one animation to complete before changing your attack or blocking, one hit deaths and sometimes blocking you still die, this game needs a patch and quick, no wonder their was an review embargo.
  15. Nov 19, 2019
    Its a good game but it suffers from "We want to be Dark Souls but don't know how" like so many others.

It can't decide whether it wants to be Sekiro or DS right from the start. Then it does the typical: We heard DS is hard... so enemies do a lot a damage? Right? That's how you do difficulty, right...? While completely disregarding how precise From makes their games. The mark of DS is

While completely disregarding how precise From makes their games. The mark of DS is that its hard but fair. Once you figure out how an encounter works you will always be able to beat it with ease.

Ye that's not the case here. Do yourself a favor and treat it as a story first, gameplay second kind of deal. Had it on highest difficulty and lowered it and hour in. The game mechanics and enemies are just not well enough designed to make it fun like that.
  16. Nov 19, 2019
    Movement is awkward and combat is repetitive. Game is pretty, and the story is decent. NPC's are empty and stupid just like dialogs. Game do not offer anything new.
    Music is perfect :)
    For Star Wars fans.
  17. Nov 19, 2019
    Railroad-straight EA. From the beginning, i thought it is a great idea to take Souls-series battle mechanic to SW. But they did it all wrong.
  18. Nov 20, 2019
    Pro:
    + graphic
    + lightsaber customization + no masterpiece, but solid typical SW story + plenty skins for Cal, ship and BD1 + SW atmosphere + hard combat + no lootboxes and microtransactions Cons: - only poncho for Cal - console port - respawn npc after "save meditation" - backtracking,backtracking,backtracking location ...BOOOORING - artificially elongated playing length -
    Pro:
    + graphic
    + lightsaber customization
    + no masterpiece, but solid typical SW story
    + plenty skins for Cal, ship and BD1
    + SW atmosphere
    + hard combat
    + no lootboxes and microtransactions

Cons:
    - only poncho for Cal
    - console port
    - respawn npc after "save meditation"
    - backtracking,backtracking,backtracking location ...BOOOORING
    - artificially elongated playing length
    - too many "tomb rider and Dark soul" moments
    - short
    - linear story
    - no light -dark side choise

it still doesn't have the quality of the games like Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy or KOTORs .Golden ages before EA's and Disney's dark times.

Is entertaining to see how many new reviewers have signed up to date this game 10/10
  19. Nov 20, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is merely OK. While it is by far the best StarWars game in many years, that in itself doesn't make this game an instant 9/10, it only highlights how terrible those games are.
    The combat is good but nothing new, the progression systems are passable but quite limited and the story is OK.
    What is unacceptable are the collectibles/cosmetics which are boring and have no incentive to actually get them, and the number of boss fights which is utterly, disappointingly low. For a game centered around lightsaber combat and hopefully lightsaber duels, we got next to none.
  20. Nov 19, 2019
    I'll start off by saying I'm a massive Star Wars fan having grown up in the 70s & 80s.

This game is a terrible use of the brand. It's a boring slog that tries to do many things and ends up doing none of them well. The combat is repetitive and boring, the exploration is basic and sometimes feels tagged on, and the writing is tiresome. The game is made to be a little bit difficult

The game is made to be a little bit difficult but because the combat is so basic, you never feel like you are in a epic light sabre battle and just a block, roll and counter simulator.

I don't understand how, out of a universe of massive possibilities, Respawn managed to generate this generic trash.

If only Disney would allow CD Project Red a crack at an open world Star Wars, then we may see something worthy of the name.

If you must buy it, buy it on sale.
  21. Nov 24, 2019
    - price is HIGH; perhaps it's a regional-pricing thing, but it's really expensive in PLN. Way more than other titles that sell for 60USD... Than again, this seems to be some kind of a really screwy trend recently - same thing happened with Borderlands 3... Not cool, publishers!
    - Souls-like - I know that Souls games have a following, and the combat in this game seems OK...ish? But I, for one, hate games with respawning enemies - it feels like a chore, rather than fun, once you're dealing with the same group of enemies for the n-th time (especially since the game has all this backtracking)
    - minibosses are just regular mobs with damage output x10, and possibly a minor change to the attack pattern - not really inspiring
    - unrewarding exploration, with most of it giving really disappointing colour swaps; there are a few exceptions (bonus HP, bonus healing, bonus force), but these are few compared... on top of that, the ponchos look AWFUL (ALL OF THEM)
    - no fast travel - this probably ties in with the second point but this really feels like a time waster - go to planet, do your thing, then you need to trek all the way back to the ship... then you go to another planet (you've already been on) and need to trek to the one place you can now unlock... and so on; way WAY too much time is wasted on backtracking
    - performance is mediocre: 1070 with an i7 7700 and plenty of RAM to spare, and the game will often dip below 60 on a 1080p...
    That said, there are some good elements - the combat feels OKish (as mentioned), the visuals, while nothing mind-blowing are solid enough (really like the way planet-to-planet travel was done), sound and music are spot on, some pretty good voice work and facial animations as well. Still, with the above - I just can't see the justification for the price. :/
  22. Nov 20, 2019
    Game is good but have a lot of bug in the game . stormtrooper is very idiot in game. I dont like stormtrooper and bot .
    lightsaber enters the ground.
  23. Nov 23, 2019
    This game has some fantastic element but also has some pretty bad parts too.
    The music is near perfect. The gameplay is pretty great BUT it does seem sometimes that hits land when they shouldn't or don't land when it seem they should. The camera is often your biggest enemy, with it constantly colliding with walls/objects which then forces you to only see Cal's back.
    This game would be a
    This game has some fantastic element but also has some pretty bad parts too.
    This game would be a lot better with the ability to fast travel, at least back the your ship.
    My biggest issue with the game is FORCED DEATH/FAILURE. NO ONE likes a forced fail, it is annoying and incredibly overdone and lazy 'writing'. Multiple times in the game you are forced to fail, regardless of how well you played a fight, the game will force you to lose, it's honestly pathetic. The writing in general is rather weak and also seems like it was written before it was decided what the gameplay would be like. There are many time where Cal is like "we gotta get back quick!" which doesn't make sense given the gameplay which involves lots of dying and lots of backtracking.

BUT overall the game is good, if you have ever wanted to play a souls-like game and want something easier to get into the genre with, then this is fantastic.
  24. Nov 22, 2019
    Great graphics, written like a typical hero journey.

There's probably around 6 hours of gameplay and 12 hours of backtracking. Combat is boring on lower difficulty levels but the game breaks on higher. There are five different attacks enemies can use against you: a shot, short-narrow attack, wide attack, long attack and an area of effect. All of those can be dodged by staying close
    Great graphics, written like a typical hero journey.

There are five different attacks enemies can use against you: a shot, short-narrow attack, wide attack, long attack and an area of effect. All of those can be dodged by staying close and dodging to the side which means all ten or so enemies get old real fast. All enemies have some of the mentioned attacks. For example alien goat has long and wide attack but alien goat slug has wide and puke attack. Tiny crawly insect has the short-narrow attack and aoe but tiny flying insect has the short-narrow and aoe attack.
    Fights near the ledges like to end with falling down, respawning near enemies and falling down again.
    Every slap you receive interrupts your action, but plenty enemies have "armor" mechanic which makes them invulnerable to stun delay. Attack hit detection works in enemy favor so you will find yourself missing hits that you thought will connect, yet enemies will damage you even when they are not touching your character model. By the end of the game there's a sequence where you can die, but are unable to attack which makes xp loss permanent. I played on Grandmaster and combat system relies basically on dodging behind the enemy and slap his back. Dodge, slap, dodge, slap. Combos are pointless. All of this makes difficulty level feel as cheap as the forced backtracking.
    What the f*ck Stig?

When you are defeated you respawn along with the entire map and you need to backtrack to the NPC that killed you to reclaim your exp. It sometimes glitches or you die because of wonky camera or controls and you lose exp either way. Going to main menu to reload the game is quite often a valid option. It's a pointless system some poor people had to work on.

Gameplay has been already done in Jedi Academy and Force Unleashed. There are literally the same moves and upgrades you've seen before.

You can change your droid and space ship shader color and customize your lightsaber appearance which you don't really notice much during gameplay. There are seven laser colors which is nice I guess but five of them available only by the end of the game. I keep wondering why they didn't give an option to do a limited RGB saber color selection.

Everything glitches occasionally:
    - shadows and lighting can load late
    - physics can throw enemies up in the air
    - fall through models, kill through doors
    - healing sometimes does not work despite Cal speaking his line
    - dodging and blocking sometimes does not work
    - camera likes to point down forcing you to micromanage it, often in bad moments
    - targeting likes to break forcing you to micromanage it, often in bad moments
    - button responsible for camera is the same as switching targets which does not work well when you need it most
    - enemy collision detection is different than for a player. If you jump into empty elevator shaft enemies behave like elevator is present
    - cutscene scripting might not kick in properly or completely
    - enemy ai might not load properly leaving brain dead npcs
    - AI is basic, enemies kill themselves with their own explosives
    - if you slow down hazards those can still kill you, which looks silly
    - can crash and with the checkpoint system it means even more backtracking. The closer to the end the more often crashes happen.

Game clearly breaks with increasing frequency the further you go but that's something reviewers did not experience because all reviews are based on first two planets. Zombies on Dathomir are perfect example how terrible this game can look in motion and the bat thingy boss there is a pure clusterf*ck. It seems like they didn't even bother animate some of the late, unskippable cutscenes properly.

Planet complexity decreases with game progress. Game lures you and scams reviewers with plenty exploration in first two stages, only to cut the third and fourth in half, making last two essentially long corridors with very little to literally no branching paths. Last planet is just a corridor.

Iconic character makes an appearance by the very end but in a boring QTE sequence making it not menacing or dramatic but pointless. The ending is absolutely terrible. It's stated multiple times that you are lead by the force through entire game only to drop the macguffin "leaving the fate to the force". WHATS THE F*CKING POINT!
    Also the story could end in a single hyperjump if they decrypted droid's memory banks instead of backtracking through four different worlds.

Nothing can be really said about Empire characters except that they are stupid and evil.

There's essentially no ending and there are more words in ending credits than screenplay.

Decent Uncharted 2 clone. Could've rip off Revengeance combat system though. Despite all of that it's still the best game EA produced in a decade.

Edit: Plenty of edits.
  25. Nov 17, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OK, just wanted to wrap up my time with this game with a review to share what I think, and possibly warn someone who might feel just like I do. I just quit the game and I think I am about 60% through, but I feel NO interest at all in playing it anymore. I am bored of it, and I am disappointed, as this could have been SO much better.

Lets start with the positive stuff:

+ Looks great, it really does.
    Tons of SW-vibe. This really looks like the universe we like and love, they nailed that.
    Combat is fun, no matter whether you want a DS/Sekiro-type difficulty or want it easier to just enjoy the story with not too much difficulty with the fights. It can be challenging, it rewards tactic and reacting right while punishing button mashing.
    Some impressive vistas and locations.
    Some scenes are SO cool, like when you capture and use that AT-AT, but other than that...meh

Now, to the bad stuff:

Too much backtracking. This is LAZY. You first move to one planet. Some combat, then some long-winded riddles. If you dislike riddles and wish they were optional – too bad. You do them. You notice some doors/walls you cant open/break, and you know what it will be like. „Oh great, I cant go there. I will later aquire a new ability to open these. So I will come here again just to unlock more stuff“.
    Instead of giving us more variety in planets, they give us the cliche „Half of the map locked till later“.
    Too many riddles. If you dont like them, too bad. Theyre not optional. If you dont play Tomb Raider-games for that reason, you might wanna skip this. Wish these were optional, like to unlock some collectables like in the old AC-games.
    „Yay, a secret“... oh a tiny bit of side story that isnt very interesting. Yawn. „OH A CHEST“. Wow, cool... another cosmetic switch for my lightsaber. Yawn. It feels like you get a new cosmetic detail around every corner, and I stopped caring. You hardly even see those details on your saber anyway.
    Uninspiring skill tree. I stopped distributing my points. „More HP“... „Better heals“...“More force power“. Wow, how... nice. There are some new strikes/attacks, but you know what? I never felt that „OMG, this will be so cool, I cant WAIT to unlock this!“ feeling I had with other games.
    Story is cliché, and even though I LOVE lore and good stories, I actually stopped caring about it half way through.
    On rails/walking sim. Its ok for the intro/tutorial to be that way. But this is like the total opposite of any idea of „open world“. They didnt promise that, but it would be SO much fun if this was an open world game with those graphics and that combat. Give me something like Witcher 3 or the more recent AC-games with this „skin“.
    The only choice you get? „Do I go for this side-track to open another chest with yet another little cosmetic detail for my saber, or not?“
    Your „mentor“/companion is VERY „uncanny valley“. What's with those EYES?
    I have NO desire to continue playing. I was in the middle of yet another one of those long riddles, and I was like „You know what? This isnt FUN at all!“. I have been about 60% through based on a summary I checked when I stopped... and I hear people finish this after about TWENTY HOURS OF GAMEPLAY? At this prize? With that much backtracking, that much „Go back to planet 2 to unlock the other half now“? Sorry, not enough effort.

TLDR/Verdict:
    It pains me to say this, but this is a disappointment to me. The game LOOKS great, they really NAILED that SW-vibe/atmosphere, and the combat is great. But the lack of new locations, the backtracking, the amount of parcour/mechanism-riddles, the „on rails“ feeling you get just made me stop and deinstall it as I simply was NOT having fun anymore.
    And its sad as there is a lot of good stuff about this, and the atmosphere is great, but everything else is just... too restricted, too repetitive and too small. Sorry.
  26. Nov 18, 2019
    Fallen Order is the best single player Star Wars game since KOTOR 2, though that isn’t a high hurdle to clear. While it does nothing that other less Star Warsy games haven’t done already, & done better, it packages enough competent pieces together to make for an all-around decent Star Wars game. It certainly has its issues, but those didn’t diminish the quality of the overall experience inFallen Order is the best single player Star Wars game since KOTOR 2, though that isn’t a high hurdle to clear. While it does nothing that other less Star Warsy games haven’t done already, & done better, it packages enough competent pieces together to make for an all-around decent Star Wars game. It certainly has its issues, but those didn’t diminish the quality of the overall experience in my 30 hours played.

There’ve been comparisons to Souls games, and it’s no wonder why with the use of what are essentially bonfires and Estus, and losing progression when you die. That said, even these systems have been made more player-friendly – you regain XP by damaging the enemy that killed you, and on death you only lose the XP progress towards your next skill point, but you keep skill points you’ve already earned.

The game’s 4 difficulty modes are welcome, especially since they don’t inflate enemies' health bars. Padawan difficulty might allow you to stand still for 30 seconds getting smacked and not die, while at the opposite end of the spectrum there are a handful of things that will one shot you if you haven’t collected most, or all, of the health upgrades in the game. In 30 hours playing on Grand Master difficulty, I died at least a hundred times. Most of these deaths are reasonable, though they occasionally feel like the game being cheap.

The combat emphasizes well timed counters and evades, and perfectly timed parries often throw you into an execute animation. While these are fun, and the sound effects that accompany them go a long way towards selling the lightsaber combat, on occasion they can make you vulnerable when you’d rather not be.

Movement and control is acceptable, with the main exception being anytime Cal is on a sliding slope. This was shown in demos for the game and looked like a lot of fun, but it’s nearly impossible to control the player character while he’s sliding and kills the enjoyment of what could have been pretty fun, albeit short, gameplay sequences.

Enemy variety is good – I counted 31 distinct non-boss enemy types scattered across the game’s four main planets, split around in half between wildlife and Imperial troops or droids. In addition I counted 11 distinct bosses, four of which are optional elite versions of a planet’s local megafauna and are tied to an achievement. Three more distinct bosses are bounty hunters, reused many times starting about halfway through the game. These bounty hunters are placed seemingly randomly to surprise you during your backtracking across all four main planets. The other four bosses, those that are truly unique, are where the majority of my deaths occurred and grinding these encounters out to learn them was my favorite part of the entire gameplay experience. The only negative here is that I don’t think there are enough of these unique and interesting boss encounters.

While enemy variety is good, enemy AI is a major weak point. On Grand Master the enemies are plenty aggressive, but most of them are also on a leash. It takes very little effort to find their maximum leash distance, past which they won’t pursue or attack you – enemies literally go from running after you with weapons ready to turning around and walking away. This allows you to, if you want, leash certain enemies with a lot of HP, including certain bosses (the bounty hunters, specifically) then jump in, do a small amount of damage, then jump out and whittle them down this way. These enemies, like most others, are also very bad at navigating stairs and elevation changes, and even the least clever players can easily exploit this. I also witnessed several enemies get hung up on walls or other items, or sometimes be unable to find and attack me despite me standing directly in their line of sight.

Sound, graphics, and world design are all good and all feel authentically Star Wars. Certain details make the devs love for the source material and games that have come before quite obvious.

Exploration is enjoyable, with the primary reward for finding secrets being optional progression, health, and Force upgrades. There are also many chests in the game that contain cosmetic appearances for the player character, his droid, or his ship. Since the chests contain only cosmetic items and no progression aids, it’s hard to justify going to find all of them unless you want to 100% the game anyways.

Puzzle platforming is solid, with the several tombs in game feeling quite Zelda inspired and a fair chunk of the platforming having nonlinear distractions to mix things up, especially if you’re looking hard enough.

Despite any gripes, I thoroughly enjoyed my time playing and did wind up 100% completing on Grand Master. All in all, this is a game that does few things incredibly but almost everything acceptably. If you’ve got an itch for a Star Wars video game that doesn’t plunder your wallet, look no further.
  27. Nov 23, 2019
    Nice and almost good game. Almost -- because it to bugy, There is a lot of bugs, but, happily, nothing blocking walktrough. And final boss is absolutely fantastic.
  28. Apr 14, 2020
    Минусы:
    1) В игре отвратительные сражения на мечах и посохах. Пытаешься аккуратно все делать, ставишь блоки, пытаешься ловить врага на контратаках и все бестолку, по роже получает именно Кэл. Врагов можно разве что замедлять и бить, по-другому просто невозможно, хотя, как ни странно, даже не задевая врагов мечом они все равно умирают. Логики просто 0, и это самая легкая сложность.
    2) В
    Минусы:
    2) В игре отсутствует быстрое перемещение. Это БОЛЬШАЯ проблема, локации здесь просто огромные, и если ты не дай Бог забыл какой-нибудь ящик "вон с той стороны", тебе придется полчаса пердолить до нужного места, повезет если не заблудишься.
    3) Периодически ловишь баги.
    4) Частые просадки FPS, которые рвут картинку на части. Плавности можно добиться разве что поставив ограничитель кадров на значение 30.
    5) Сохраняет от балды! Думаешь ты засейвился перед выходом из игры? А хрен там!

Из хорошего:
    1) Графика классная, все очень кинематографично и атмосферно.
    2) Одна из лучших игр по вселенной Звездных Войн в последнее время.
  29. Nov 26, 2019
    All in all, the game seemed pretty good actually. It had good graphics, though not epic. Sometimes the graphics didn't seem optimized though, and caused slight shutter, though it was forgivable. Mine is a high end gaming PC, so it wasn't perfect software optimization.

Maybe I was misled by video ads and other reviews, or by peers that were also purchasing the game. I am mostly into RPG, or even light RPG such as AC Odyssey, etc. I was led to thinking that, yes, it is an adventure game, yet had skill trees, and yet also was led to believe that exploration was a huge part of it. This got me thinking that it was a bit heavier in RPG and customization than it was. The skill trees are pretty light, though what got me was that it isn't so much as an exploration game, as it an obstacle-based game. There's lots of jumps, climbs, perfectly-timed wall runs, etc., that require a lot of controller acrobatics. Otherwise you fall down the cliff.

Falling down the cliffs bugged me a bit. The character won't even stop, he'll just run right off a cliff to his doom. This reminded me a bit of the old Sierra games, coining the term "Sierra death", which seems outmoded. I realized the game would be a constant frustration of trying to navigate obstacles acrobatically, or watch Cal continuously fall to his doom.

For what the game actually is, its really good. But it isn't an exploration game, its an obstacle-based game that places obstacles and very guided paths to discover the maps.

Good game, and the combat was fun, though I felt it wasn't advertised for what it is. I'm not much into obstacle games, since I find them frustrating, but if you are into navigating labyrinths and deadly passages, then it's for you. I was looking for a bit more RPG elements, more open-world exploration vs. obstacle/closed-based exploration. There is also no real gear customization that has an impact on the game.

If it was presented to me in a better way, or if it fit my genre better, i.e. RPG or action-RPG/shooter-looter, it'd get a green. Instead, a high yellow.
  30. Dec 1, 2019
    Meh. At least it's pretty.

Meh. At least it's pretty.

Which is about all that can be said for this mediocrity. The game suffers from terminal consolitis. Be prepared to watch the same animation sequences hundreds of time...this is Cal walking through a tight space...here's Cal slowly climbing up a cliff...here's Cal swinging from a rope...watch as Cal watches his droid jump into a "treasure" chest... oh, did you die? Lets watch it all again!

The Pros:
    -It's pretty. Very pretty.
    -The voice acting is not bad at all. (But the script needs work.)
    -Cute droid.

The Cons:
    -Combat. Challenging sword combat has been done well in the past (see Witcher 3 for example.) But this is just...clumsy. And repetitive. And annoying.
    -The story is...a big trite MacGuffin. You will not care about the characters. You will yawn at the ending.
    -Repetitive, mindless platforming...is mindless and repetitive. (But pretty. For the first hour.)
    -24 hours for a near-completionist first play-through on Jedi Master difficulty is above-average length for an EA snooze fest, but is otherwise pretty pathetic in terms of content. Especially since at least half of that 24 hours was devoted to watching my screen re-load and watching Cal do the same run and jump sequence over and over again. Second play-through? Not likely.

Bottom line: buy it on sale and don't expect much. By no means should you blow $80 on it.
  31. Nov 27, 2019
    Disappointing. Was expecting something more like the KOTOR games. The sliding sequences, the puzzles, the platforming and the story are all pretty uninspiring.
  32. Nov 24, 2019
    The only pro is the story and characters, everything else is..my God... (main menu theme is also pretty good).
    Worst level design i have ever seen in any game. This game offers nothing original first, + game-breaking bugs that often happen.
    The story and characters really got me into the game, but couldn't continue because of the other things.
  33. Nov 15, 2019
    If you haven't played Tomb Raider or a Souls game, you'll enjoy this; however if you have, it will seem like a disappointing mix of both. The graphics, environment, combat and overall atmosphere of the game are lacking and it ultimately feels unpolished and less enjoyable than it could have been.
  34. Nov 19, 2019
    The story is ok, but the game it self is awful. The only thing that saves this game is the star wars theme. Combat system is ok, force could be way more fun, maps are ok to see ONE time, but they make you go round and round on an uninteresting map just to get skins for lightsaber and clothes. Omg it gave me a hell of a headache. Anyway, I will finish just to watch the story and use cheatsThe story is ok, but the game it self is awful. The only thing that saves this game is the star wars theme. Combat system is ok, force could be way more fun, maps are ok to see ONE time, but they make you go round and round on an uninteresting map just to get skins for lightsaber and clothes. Omg it gave me a hell of a headache. Anyway, I will finish just to watch the story and use cheats to unlock the skins. Not worth the money. Just check the story on youtube maybe. Expand
  35. Mar 20, 2020
    This game is something like:
    Dark Souls **** Tomb Raider and their child got autism
  36. Nov 20, 2019
    Game runs like trash on consoles. Game design is annoying. Overall not that good if you are not that interested in the Star Wars aspect.
  37. Nov 23, 2019
    Игра не настолько хороша как хочет показаться.Плюс за русскую озвучку это всегда приятно.А в целом ... Гемплей продлевается за счет хождений туда обратно, по нескольку раз, это выматывает.Почему враги оживают не понятно.Когда прилетаешь на планету Зефа и видишь как твари жрут десантника уже пятый раз... Боевка унылая она не цепляет как в Секиро (по факту заимствованна от туда), нетИгра не настолько хороша как хочет показаться.Плюс за русскую озвучку это всегда приятно.А в целом ... Гемплей продлевается за счет хождений туда обратно, по нескольку раз, это выматывает.Почему враги оживают не понятно.Когда прилетаешь на планету Зефа и видишь как твари жрут десантника уже пятый раз... Боевка унылая она не цепляет как в Секиро (по факту заимствованна от туда), нет расчленения людей нету крови или нечто подобного.Едем далее,ящики и прочий кастомный бред , какой в нем смысл если на игру это ни как не влияет бегаешь ты с мечом цвета меди или с позолотой, одежда одна и таже разница только в цвете, ни одной детали другой не меняется.Сюжет до жути банальный,одно и тоже в который раз Ко всему прочему управление на пк кривое, кто додумался сделать уворот на "z" ?! Что действительно расстраивает так это,что нет выбора сюжетного, нет выбора морали, линейная игра в которой нет смысла. И за нее еще просят 3500 тысячи ?! Серьезно?! Не советую ее покупать кому бы то нибыло, посмотрите игрофильм на ютуб. Сэкономьте свои деньги, и время . Expand
  38. Nov 24, 2019
    So I wouldn't exactly going to give it a 7 but around 7.5.
    So I wouldn't exactly going to give it a 7 but around 7.5.
    The game itself is rock solid good but not great. Music is the best thing is this game. This game has severe technical problems. I'm not saying it doesn't run great or anything but how the game animation/AI can sometimes lead to game breaking or unintentional bugs. It does feel like they hand picked aspect from like Dark Souls, Tomb Raider, Sekiro, etc and then they're not polishing the game enough it feels clunky.

Anything beside that this game reminds me of Force Unleashed 1 in a good and bad way. The good is that the game is just that there is no gimmicky stuff that publisher/developer add into the game. The bad however is the game feel like it's last gen game, every collectible excluding HP/Force/Stim increase in the game doesn't give you anything beside purely cosmetic . And acquiring that sometimes required massive back tracking and the cosmetic is just skin, different texture with the same model and it's really ashamed because TFU they have a unique costumes and they have story purpose as well on how you wear on a different planets.
  39. Nov 22, 2019
    Coming from 100 hours of Sekiro, for me Fallen Order is merely a poor imitation. The combat system is clumsy with inconsistent parry window, and enemy tracking is so damn accurate you might as well give up dodging. The dev definitely realized that, so they fill the rest of the game with so much boring platforming that adds nothing to the story. This is not Tomb Raider or Uncharted godComing from 100 hours of Sekiro, for me Fallen Order is merely a poor imitation. The combat system is clumsy with inconsistent parry window, and enemy tracking is so damn accurate you might as well give up dodging. The dev definitely realized that, so they fill the rest of the game with so much boring platforming that adds nothing to the story. This is not Tomb Raider or Uncharted god dammit, no one expects to boot up a star wars game and find themselves doing platforming 70% of the game.

This game could use a bit more time in the oven. But still, this is a good sign that EA is willing to make solid single player rather than easy cash grab through loot boxes, let's keep it that way
  40. Nov 15, 2019
    "Competent" is the word I'd use to describe this game overall. Competent combat, competent story, competent mix of elements from other games that work well enough together. Polished and well optimized, super smooth on 1440p max settings on a GTX1080, looks great, sounds great. It is rather short and there's a lack of variety in its skills and collectables, but this is a 15-20 hour game,"Competent" is the word I'd use to describe this game overall. Competent combat, competent story, competent mix of elements from other games that work well enough together. Polished and well optimized, super smooth on 1440p max settings on a GTX1080, looks great, sounds great. It is rather short and there's a lack of variety in its skills and collectables, but this is a 15-20 hour game, not some mega-RPG. Overall satisfying. It brings us back to an era when good Star Wars games were being made, when you could expect some standards when you bought a Star Wars game. Other than that, it's not gonna light the world on fire. It's definitely the best Star Wars game in many many years, but that bar was set pretty low. Definitely worth a month of Origin Prime to play through, but I'm hesitant to recommend it full price. Still, I hope it does well and that the developers get a chance to expand on their ideas some more. Expand
  41. Nov 15, 2019
    Pretty mediocre game trying to be both souls-like hard but casul easy same time. Developers think you are dumb. Tutorials are annoying. Combat is ok, cant say much about plot yet but it feels too naive at this moment.
  42. Nov 24, 2019
    Tomb raider with light saber well…, it should be ok with an exception that game is very boring.
    Good optimization and AAA graphics
    Sound is mediocre The game itself is some kind of slasher with tomb raider style puzzles and if last thing is pretty good the fighting part is hard for player who likes star wars universe and don’t spend a lot of time in fighting and slasher type games and
    Good optimization and AAA graphics
    Sound is mediocre
    The game itself is some kind of slasher with tomb raider style puzzles and if last thing is pretty good the fighting part is hard for player who likes star wars universe and don’t spend a lot of time in fighting and slasher type games and one more thing RESPAWN, its cheapest and most stupid way to make tension, hate it and because of it I stopped playing.
  43. Nov 24, 2019
    Overall the game is pretty ok, good maps, the metroidvania aspect is good, climbing is straight from Uncharted 1/2 and not much better. The """Dark Souls""" part of the game is not perfectly mastered yet its acceptable. The thing is this, apart from the game art desing which keeps you going, the game is a sum of multiple early 2010 games for its gameplay, nothing is innovative here. IOverall the game is pretty ok, good maps, the metroidvania aspect is good, climbing is straight from Uncharted 1/2 and not much better. The """Dark Souls""" part of the game is not perfectly mastered yet its acceptable. The thing is this, apart from the game art desing which keeps you going, the game is a sum of multiple early 2010 games for its gameplay, nothing is innovative here. I would have expected far more, especially when you know games like Jedy Academy exists and are more developped and go further with force, lightsaber fights and gameplay. Maybe for the next one ? Expand
  44. Dec 6, 2019
    This game is like vanilla ice cream, it's good enough and does little wrong. But it's also a bit boring, predictable and formulaic. The combat looks impressive in demo videos but it's actually pretty mindless and not very deep. Not only do you have limited amount of control over the lightsaber combat but there's a very limited set of force powers on display too. If you came here expectingThis game is like vanilla ice cream, it's good enough and does little wrong. But it's also a bit boring, predictable and formulaic. The combat looks impressive in demo videos but it's actually pretty mindless and not very deep. Not only do you have limited amount of control over the lightsaber combat but there's a very limited set of force powers on display too. If you came here expecting something like the fluid and dynamic combat in Jedi Academy chances are you'll be disappointed.

Similarly if you were expecting a well written RPG with twists and turns like KOTOR 1 or 2 you'll likely find the game severely lacking here too. There really aren't that many RPG elements, or important choices, at all really. The game plays very linearly and with very limited room to really express your own take on the character and story. Honestly, the last Tomb Raider game had better character customization and more important choices.

So what we're left with is a pretty linear and mindless hack n slash game with a very minimal set of RPG elements and with a pretty formulaic story. The only people who should be impressed by a game like this are those who are so young and impressionable that they yet haven't gotten around to trying Ben & Jerry's.

I will also say that I'm not a fan of the healing system, if you're going to make this kind of mindless middle-of-the-road-take-no-chances kind of game just give it automatic health regen and be done with it. You're not going to make it into Witcher 3 or Dark Souls by having an awkward healing system.

Lastly i will say the average user score for this game is suspiciously high, I suspect EA has been in here meddling.
  45. Apr 14, 2020
    Much like most of the star wars movies from the past 30 years, this game falls short of greatness on many levels. It could have been amazing but a lot of poor creative choices (most likely to reach a wider audience) were made so it is just slightly better than mediocre. Had this not been a star wars game and had I need grown up steeped in the original trilogy, I would have stoppedMuch like most of the star wars movies from the past 30 years, this game falls short of greatness on many levels. It could have been amazing but a lot of poor creative choices (most likely to reach a wider audience) were made so it is just slightly better than mediocre. Had this not been a star wars game and had I need grown up steeped in the original trilogy, I would have stopped playing it about 10 hours in. It's a crappy imitation of metroidvanias, soulsborne games, and, weirdly, the uncharted/tomb raider series.

It started out great. The 1 on 1 combat works well and some of the platforming sequences are breathtaking. But, after a while the fact that one still has to put effort into killing all but the lowest enemies becomes immersion-breaking. I mean I have a laser sword that can cut through anything and melee units can block my attacks with stun batons? Also, dismembering humans would have made the combat more satisfying but I get why they would leave that out, ratings and all. But, how does it fare in its aspirational categories?

Metroidvania: definitely lacking. They clearly want you to revisit areas but most of the stuff you find is cosmetic upgrades that are underwhelming. Who cares how my saber hilt is arranged? I can't see it during game play and there is gameplay benefit. Furthermore, some sections become locked forever after platforming or quick-time events, therefore, keeping one from collecting anything. And, the gating is artificial. It's obvious that areas cannot be reached without the double jump, which you do not get until quite far into the game. And what's behind this invisible wall? Probably some boring lore thing or cosmetic nonsense. It seems they want you to revisit areas and explore but they also punish you for doing it.

Soulsborne: very poor imitation. it is clear that this game takes a huge amount of inspiration from from software games, sekiro in particular. But, there is no stealth. There are also no I-frames, meaning that you can be damaged by a trash mob while trying to execute another trash mob. Further, rather than introducing interesting enemies with different combat mechanics, they just make them sabersponges and put dozens of them in a room. After a certain point in the game, it turns into a series of arenas, which seems against the spirit of a soulsborne game and is just busy work. Finally, it seems they decided to give a difficultly slider to make the game more accessible but then also did not polish the combat, because, hey, you can just turn the difficulty down.

The combat gets CLUNKY and CHEAP a few hours in. I turned the difficulty down it all the way down to get past a couple of particularly cheap bosses and I just did not feel invested enough at that point to learn their dance. And, as the protagonist grows in power it almost makes more sense to turn the difficulty down. Can a jedi knigh seriously find himself in a bind against two or three melee troopers? How the hell are they resisting my force powers?

Fights with other saber wielders are really rare and are all boss fights. There could be some rank and file sith to chop into bits but I guess that goes against the whole theme of redemption. That actually poses another ethical point: what are storm troopers but just soldiers that signed on to fight in the army? Why is it cool to turn them into chopped liver when force users deserve redemption? It's a difficult line to straddle, maybe there is no solution.

Uncharted/tombraider: here the game is pretty strong. There is lots of stuff to discover and the levels can have a lot of verticality. But the worlds are rather lifeless. There is only so much learning about a poorly fleshed out minor culture in the star wars universe I can take before getting bored.

Ultimately, I wound up forcing myself to finish the game and then deleting it. I hope to forget it soon.
  46. May 9, 2020
    This review is hard to write, because while I love Star Wars, I don't love this game.

My friends played this game and loved it, and once the price dipped below $30, I bit. So far I've played about 5 hours, and for now at least, I'm done. No more, and good riddance. Why so? Is the game not satisfying? In many ways, it is! The graphics are good (not amazing, but not worse than say, the

In many ways, it is! The graphics are good (not amazing, but not worse than say, the Witcher w/o mods or patches). The story is, from what I've got so far, pretty fun and solid. The characters are interesting both visually and as people. But the gameplay... oh, the gameplay!

For me, the combat is essentially fine, even on Jedi Master. It's hard, but that's OK. What's not OK? I've hit the block button and had nothing happen repeatedly, leading to a one-shot kill. I've walked up to a pipe to traverse a gorge and had Cal walk off the edge of the cliff, sometimes catching the pipe, sometimes plunging helplessly to my doom. And I've dodged attacks only to be hit by them. In general, the combat system feels clunky and imprecise to me. I've used special attacks only to whiff because I wasn't locked on to a target, etc. That's on me, but in general, it feels unresponsive and like I'm walking with my boots stuck in the mud.

And nevertheless, in general I enjoy the combat alright - leaving aside the non-registered button-presses and the like, it's do-able. Worse than some, better than others. But the first thing that really steamed me was the hard reset to the last save point on death. Sometimes, this point would be mere seconds away from where I died, so no problem. But often, it would be several areas away. On death, this would not only necessitate a tedious slog across ground I've already covered, but up to 30 seconds or more of loading. Usually around 20 seconds, and this from an m.2 SSD. Death, wait. Death, wait. Death, wait. This was less pleasant. A game can be difficult, but preferably not tedious, and for me, this was very tedious indeed. Now that I advanced a bit and gained some new abilities and more health, I'm doing much better, but I'm finding the most effective strategies are some combination of dash in and slash, block the almost universal immediate counterattack, then roll and kick/stun to attack until dead. Not much thinking, but it's working for me. I was hoping for a little more strategic depth and thought.

The next annoyance is the platforming, including in particular the hill-sliding sections. For starters, sprinting doesn't seem to add much distance to your jump, which is strange. Second, which involves the level design component of platforming, it's hard to tell which things can be interacted with and which not. The wall-running is well-marked, but many boxes and ledges that should be climbable or Cal should be able to grasp he simply can't because he's not supposed to. Trust me, after playing a game like Middle Earth: Shadow of War or Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, I think you'd agree the traversal mechanics, and even the feel of them is more pleasant and positive. I had more trouble judging distance of jumps and direction, and I've had more missed jumps in this game than any other game in memory, including some of the more challenging ones like the original Mario Bros. Rarely in Assassin's Creed have I just missed a ledge on a side-jump, but here it's happened more than I'd like to admit. It's VERY sensitive to your position and jump range.

All of this is unpleasant, but then I entered sliding hell. One portion of a planet forces you on a long, twisting slide coupled with jumps to ropes between sections of slide. Simple? It should be - left joy con and jump is all you can do, you can't even slow yourself or speed up as far as I can tell. Sometimes the first turn would simply throw me off. Other times, I'd jump to catch a rope, but miss it by anywhere from 90 to 10 degrees. Sometimes I missed the rope, but my character caught it, surprising me. After about 20 runs, I somehow made it, and the main problem is this: I don't feel like I learned anything, or got better. It might take me another 20 runs until I accidentally succeed. Mercifully, when falling, they plunk you down near the start of the slide with an HP penalty until you die after many falls. I can play racing games and IMPROVE. But I have no Earthly idea what mechanic is governing the sliding portion, and I was just glad to pass it.

After gritting my teeth and getting through that, I came upon a puzzle. I wasn't in the mood for deep thought (or any thought) at 1 am, so anything requiring both thinking and timing just isn't in the cards right now. Maybe later, but like I said, I'm done with this game for a long time, I'd say. I'm not interested in tedious puzzles, i wanted challenging combat.

Then there are the bugs. 6+ months after release, I've walked onto a pipe and started quivering for 30 seconds, then it stops. Weird.

Would I buy the game again? Naw, I'd just watch the cutscenes for story on **** or YouTube.
  47. Apr 30, 2020
    Good story driven game.
    Find all the collectibles like in tomb raider to satisfy that 100% OCD.
    They dont actually matter, most of them are just lightsaber parts that you dont see because a lightsaber is really small. Basically filler customization. More lightsaber styles would have been nice. Sekiro style combat but you can actually bruteforce through your enemies. Kinda dumb. Low
    Good story driven game.
    Find all the collectibles like in tomb raider to satisfy that 100% OCD.
    Basically filler customization.
    More lightsaber styles would have been nice.
    Sekiro style combat but you can actually bruteforce through your enemies.
    Kinda dumb.
    Low enemy variation.
    Lackluster boss design.
    Metroidvania elements are nice but also not enough.
    No post game content.
    No or very little optional secret areas, just hidden rooms.
    Takes 20h to complete.
    Good game.
  48. Apr 21, 2020
    A rushed product to save face.
    A rushed product to save face.
    The graphics are what you expect from triple A games, simply gorgeous, almost everything looks amazing, the rocks, the plants, the creatures, the characters, the ships with some damn impressive facial recognition technology. In the graphics department, almost everything seems to be pretty ironed out. The music is a mix of Star Wars classic, and some new music that meet the exact location you are, this actually improves quite a bit the immersion, the sound of blasters, lightsabers, force powers is what has already been established in millions of other games, so fine.
    The game is a lot of fun, the combat is really good, the variety of enemies keeps you making different decisions, trying to remember old ones, and the game never stops being challenging, some bosses can be not so hard as others will take several attempts, this is not a super punishing game, but it resembles one.
    The really bad part in all of this is the story, what should drive you forward. Filled with clichés, right from the start and a lot of relationships feel incredibly rushed, some character reveals are mind boggling as a twist with even a slight pause to a name we never heard before, making it seems that some part of the story was cut for time, you get to backtrack some planets but it is felt that there should have been more planets and backtracking would be reserved for completionist, but again cut for time.
    The game is not bad, but it feels that EA needed to save face quick, IMO they started a path towards that.
  49. Apr 16, 2020
    It's well made. Plays nice. Lightsaber fights are cool I guess. But to hell with this god damned backtracking. It's boring because of it. I had some fun but didn't finish the game. Baddies are lame.
  50. Nov 22, 2019
    Игра подражает играм серии ДС и Секиро, но это какая то шутка. Серия ДС и Секиро это прежде всего Максимум серьезности, чувства безисходности и немного пафоса. А в этой игре мы наблюдаем историю какого то юнца.

Несмотря на некоторые сравнения боевой системы этой игры и Секиро, я скажу так: В Секиро бои напряженные, В каждом бою ты слышишь отличный музон и чувствуешь напряжение схватки. В этой игре такого нет, ни запоминающийся музыки, не напряжения, а всего лишь изумление от процесса. Вся боевка одинаковая, нанес 2-3 удара, ставь блок либо увернись от неблокируемого удара. Врагу глубоко пофиг на то что его рубят световым мечом и вместо внятного блокирования твоих ударов, он просто бьет тебя в ответ.

Лица персонажей. Они ужасны! Если я захочу посмотреть на уродов, я выйду на улицу (хотя таких ужасов я даже у себя в городе не наблюдал).

80% вы будете не сражаться, а применять свои джедайские штучки на объектах окружения, чтобы решить очередную головоломку и пройти дальше по сюжету, или чтобы добраться до ящика, где вас будет ждать головка от светового меча или пончо розового цвета.

Мало способностей Силы. В том же старом Force Unleashed доставляло удовольствия использовать Силу на врагах. А в этой игре вы даже не отпихнете простого бойца ближнего боя.

Рекомендованная цена игры 20 $.

ПС: Да когда ж этих жадные ублюдки из ЕА обанкротятся наконец...
  51. Nov 15, 2019
    For me, almost one in one like the Prince of Persia: the sands of time (in other parts that came out later, not played). We climb, jump, walk through narrow pipes, slow down time, chop down adversaries, exploring. Very handy map. Good combat system. The usual plot. Normal dubbing. AND
    pleasant attitude to the player - you can change the size of the subtitles, put them in the background, reconfigure buttons.
    From games like "souls" there is only a conditional bonfire - meditation and maybe a little more complexity. And experience lost, but not forever, even if you die several times. You have to go kick at least once the one who killed you. There is no death or loss of health from falling from any height, only if in the abyss. Streaks of endurance or the like do not - run, beat as much as you want.
    Platinum does not depend on complexity, but it is necessary to collect tons of everything, return because of this to visited planets.
    There is a bunch of makeup that can be found on the levels (sword, Cal's clothes and her coloring, coloring robot and ship).
    Disadvantages: periodic twitching animation, uncritical bugs (such as failed in the texture and
    you can immediately get out - once it was and once I was thrown high up for no reason).

Для меня почти один в один как Принц Персии: пески времени (в другие части, вышедшие позже, не играл). Карабкаемся, прыгаем, ходим по узким трубам, замедляем время, рубим супостатов, исследуем. Очень удобная карта. Хорошая система боя. Обычный сюжет. Нормальный дубляж. И приятное отношение к игроку - можно изменять размер субтитров, ставить их в фон, перенастраивать кнопки.
    От игр аля souls тут только условный костёр - медитация и может чуть больше сложность. А опыт теряется, но не навсегда, даже если умрёшь несколько раз. Надо пойти пнуть хоть раз того, кто тебя убил. Смерти и потери здоровья от падения с любой высоты нет, только если в пропасть. Полоски выносливости или подобного нет - бегай, бей сколько хочешь.
    Платина от сложности не зависит, но надо собирать тонны всего, возвращаться из-за этого на
    посещённые планеты.
    Есть куча косметики, которую можно найти на уровнях (меч, одежда Кэла и её раскраска, раскраски робота и корабля).
    Недостатки: периодическая дёрганая анимация, некритичные баги (типа провалился в текстуру и сразу можно выбраться - один раз было и один раз меня без повода закинуло высоко в вверх).
  52. Nov 17, 2019
    I JUST FINISHED THE STORY, HERE'S A HONEST REVIEW.
    First of all, I would like to say THANK YOU to the developers to release a game singleplayer without microtransactions and other kinds of **** That is extremely rare these days and much appreciated.
    I JUST FINISHED THE STORY, HERE'S A HONEST REVIEW.
    Well, let's talk about the game. It's been almost 10 years since the last good 3rd person single-player Star Wars game (Force Unleashed 2). We felt left behind since EA got Star Wars game rights, and since they never invested in a good single-player game so far.

GRAPHICS: Graphics are great, you believe in that universe when you're playing, even it's not an open world, it's noticeable that it was made with care. SCORE 9

PERFORMANCE: The performance for PC is not great, a LOT of framerate drops ( I have a 2080TI), the game goes from 120fps to 30fps without any reason. I believe it needs work. I updated my graphics card driver and problems persisted. Sound is glitchy and buggy sometimes, I had to restart the game several tomes: SCORE 5

PLOT/STORY/DIALOGUES: Even though I loved the characters, the plot isn't that great, I understand it's a filler between movies, but I would expect something more epical like The Force Unleashed was. the plot is very cliche, and predictable and obvious. SCORE: 7

CHARACTERS AND DESIGN: I really loved the characters of this game, especially BD. I just didn't like the 9th sister design. it's meh. The spaceship is awesome. The art team did a good job. I would expect to know more about these characters, but everything is so superficial. SCORE: 9

COMBAT: Cleary inspired on GoW and Dark Souls the combat is great and require you to think, and train to develop a strategy, it's not just advance and press X. You need need to know what you're doing. I think the skill tree is too small, and the character targeting system sometimes feels broken, I also feel the character slower, the jumps are clumsy, and you constantly miss the wall jumps because your character just jumps to the wrong side, and in the end, the WORST thing, THERES NO BLASTERS, at some in the game you lost your lightsaber and everything you can do is run like an idiot: SCORE 7

LEVEL-DESIGN: That's somehow bittersweet. I loved how they look b, but some levels are too repetitive. The planet Zeffos is very boring, too much repetition. The map is very confusing and hard to follow sometimes. In the end, you will have fun but it's far to be the best Star Wars level Design of all time: SCORE 7

CUSTOMIZATION: Well it's not an open-world game but I would expect more customizations. I would expect more RPG elements, like an upgrade lightsaber in a way that influences your battle style, or a Jedi robe or vest that can increase the force, or resistance, etc. All Customizations are ONLY visual, and worse, it only changes the colors, the Pilot Outfit is exactly the same as the Scavenger one with just different colors, that's DISAPPOINTING. Even though the Lightsaber customization is cool, it's just skins. I belie the team left to pass a huge opportunity to do like God of War did with the Gear. Gear in this game is worthless. SCORE 6

GAMEPLAY: That's my biggest complaint, the Gameplay IS TOO SHORT. I have finished the game in probably 15 hours. After beating the story there's nothing else fun to do. I don't feel that this short campaign worth 60 dollars, honestly. SCORE 5

Well, Overall it's a Good game, but that's it, just good, not great, actually far from Great. I would like to congratulate the devs to not put microtransactions and paid content, I really would like to love this game, I swear I wish but I didn't love it. I believe they miss an opportunity to do an awesome game and make it more complex and fun like GoW, the game is too short, and the story is too linear. In the next one, I would expect more RPG elements and at least 40-60 hours of gameplay ( I believe that's due to the lack of experience with RPG-like games. Respawn only make shooter games)
    This game is not good as The Force Unleashed is, even though the combat system is better. Respawn developers, if you're reading this, please, try to make something inspired in KOTOR, next time. That's what we would love to see.
    OVERALL SCORE: 7 ( truly it would be a 6 or even 5, but the lack of microtransactions make me like this game a little bit more).
  53. ket
    Feb 7, 2020
    Fallen Order is a fantastic game with a true Star Wars story, that said however there are some nagging smaller things which prevent it from reaching greatness. Much of these things are small but all combined have an impact that is noticeable and detracts from the experience, my experience is based on playing the game on Jedi Master difficulty. Negatives first;

- Lightsaber combat is all

- Lightsaber combat is all but broken, the Lightsaber itself feels like it could do with a +10% reach, the kicks you can do felt like they had more range.

- Basic combat is slashes and a kick at your disposal however relying on these alone will see fights becoming very long and drawn out, the problem comes when utilising heavy Lightsaber attacks, they drain the "Force" meter just as though you were using a Force move such as push or pull. I understand Respawn wanted to make the combat more challenging as you do need to take a Souls-like approach to it however having two completely different things rely on the same meter is just completely arse backwards what Respawn should have done (and MUST do in future FO games) is have heavy Lightsaber attacks use a stamina meter.

- The game tries to encourage you to mix up your moves but again with two completely different things relying on the same meter this is not a practical way to play, at least on the harder difficulties.

- There is no New Game+ for you to enjoy the game with all of your abilities unlocked to get better at using them nor is there a training arena for you to practice moves despite there literally being a training arena you have to fight through toward the end of the game. Surely Respawn could have easily taken that section and turned it in to an isolated training arena outside of the main game.

- Boss battles feel very bad often I would have to cheese a combination of moves rather than use everything at my disposal because your character has such a long wind up period for better moves which the bosses handily exploit.

- Bugs. I'd find myself falling through parts of a level inexplicably which ended up being the result of something ridiculous like double jumping when you can make the jump with a single jump and enemy attacks that are meant to be blockable just clean going through my block (yes I had plenty in my block meter) on harder difficulties the latter of those issues is particularly aggrivating.

- BD-1s upgrades. Seldom will you find BD-1 upgrades organically through the game most of them are obscurely hidden. This is just another reason why a New Game+ is needed in FO your game design has failed if you can miss 70-80% of a characters upgrades through your playthrough on a game with no New Game+

- My last criticism would be with the levels, they are all pretty much constant mazes with heavy platforming elements there are no cities/hub locations you can visit to help immerse you in the universe or story nor are there many different alien species to encounter.

- You can't rebind keyboard and mouse controls on PC, what the hell Respawn?!

More positively however all of the characters in the game are superbly developed, the story is very Star Wars, gameplay is fun even though the planets you visit feel somewhat empty with nothing to flesh them out beyond "the mission" and BD-1 is both awesome and cute, he kicks arse. As a single player game FO is great, but replayability is zero with some unbalanced nagging issues. If Respawn can sort these things out in a sequel then it will be a game of the decade contender, at the very least game of the year contender. Thoroughly enjoyable despite some shortcomings.
  54. Nov 30, 2019
    Most likely the best SW game ever done. However, for some reason the developers think that a jedi should be jumping around from pipe to pipe, doing tomb raider stuff, and sliding in ice... I dont know what movies they saw, but definitely not the official ones. The game has some tedious parts in the beginning. Long unrewarding puzzles, Timed jumps. Even some unfair enemies if you play inMost likely the best SW game ever done. However, for some reason the developers think that a jedi should be jumping around from pipe to pipe, doing tomb raider stuff, and sliding in ice... I dont know what movies they saw, but definitely not the official ones. The game has some tedious parts in the beginning. Long unrewarding puzzles, Timed jumps. Even some unfair enemies if you play in harder difficulties... Some enemies dont look to be there to guard an area, but seem to be waiting specifically for you and placed so that is hard for you to reach them ... In short... The devs seem to try their hard so that you dont feel like a jedi. So bad for a game with so much potential.
    Apart from that, the game has cool tense moments, awesome music, great acting and voicing... basically all the other not-so-important parts of the game are great.
  55. Nov 18, 2019
    Save point is too far, lot of times I feel really annoying.
    Interactive actions and combat is not well crafted. Only visuals and narrative is aaa.
  56. Nov 21, 2019
    I have waited such a game for years, and I'm glad to see that such a company like Electronic Arts did a good game. Not the ideal one, but I have not seen any Star Wars-like game for a few years. Hope they plan to release a new one someday. I put 8 of 10 due to fps ranges, glitches (npc, monsters falling, stuck under the textures), etc. Don't know why so much hate about souls-like mechanicsI have waited such a game for years, and I'm glad to see that such a company like Electronic Arts did a good game. Not the ideal one, but I have not seen any Star Wars-like game for a few years. Hope they plan to release a new one someday. I put 8 of 10 due to fps ranges, glitches (npc, monsters falling, stuck under the textures), etc. Don't know why so much hate about souls-like mechanics in this game. I liked it anyway. And it was a big surprise for me to see a black Jedi. You serious ?
    And more one things - combat system. Many movements there are useless or require u a ton of luck if u plan not to take hit first. It makes my SP investments really disappointing matter.

And in the end, I would like to express my gratitude for the russian localization. That's great!
  57. Dec 24, 2019
    This game has everything I hate:
    1. riddles, hidden passages and generally spending most of the time figuring out where to go to, instead of "why to go there"
    2. shallow storytelling - it starts great and then slows down exponentially 3. no real choices 4. no fun in having your own spaceship - you can't fly it, it's way smaller than in Mass Effect series and it's really ugly 5. no
    This game has everything I hate:
    2. shallow storytelling - it starts great and then slows down exponentially
    3. no real choices
    5. no fast travel and a complicated labyrinth style map design - there are no words describing how irritating this is
    6. you cannot save whenever you want to
    I have LOST hours of my life finding my way in the game and it's NO FUN for me. You see, I prefer the plot, the choices, good action and lots of immersion. (I loved Mass Effect 2.) It's not here.
    On the plus side: awesome graphics 10/10, surround sound, general Star Wars feeling, which is fine, but I am more of a Star Trek fan. The combat is unforgiving, but fortunately you can change difficulty any time you want. I would give a better rating if the game was shorter and I wouldn't have to waste my life finding my way in the game. At the 5th chapter, when I got to the Jedi temple I got so frustrated that I decided I would watch the rest of the story on YT. It was a good choice.
  58. Nov 25, 2019
    Purtroppo il gioco non è un "action-rpg", ma un vero e proprio puzzle game con qualche combattimento qua e là. Per carità, non è assolutamente un gioco brutto, anzi lato artistico e di complessità degli ambienti è veramente bello, sono rimasto fermo ad ammirare alcuni scorci con la bocca aperta, e se me lo avessero venduto come "puzzle game" a 29€, avrei dato 1010 e mi sarei tolto ilPurtroppo il gioco non è un "action-rpg", ma un vero e proprio puzzle game con qualche combattimento qua e là. Per carità, non è assolutamente un gioco brutto, anzi lato artistico e di complessità degli ambienti è veramente bello, sono rimasto fermo ad ammirare alcuni scorci con la bocca aperta, e se me lo avessero venduto come "puzzle game" a 29€, avrei dato 1010 e mi sarei tolto il cappello. Il problema è che se tu me lo piazzi come "action-rpg-soulslike", non ci siamo proprio. Un Sekiro ha una personalizzazione irrisoria del personaggio ma un combat system mastodontico e divertente ( seppur con qualche lacuna ). Questo invece ha una personalizzazione esclusivamente estetica ( banalotta ), ed un combat system povero, ma approfondiamo il tutto. Palesemente richiama Sekiro, con un attacco standard, una parata, e qualche skill ( un secondo attacco pesante che richiede stamina ma inutilizzabile essendo troppo lento e non così potente ). Il problema fondamentale è che la parata è impensabile, e non parlo da neofita, parlo da appassionato di questo genere di giochi e che ha concluso poco fa Sekiro. Semplicemente molte parate sono imprevedibili, perché un mostro che in un millesimo di secondo passa dalla guardia ad un morso, è semplicemente imprevedibile, riflessi o no. Molte animazioni non hanno quel caricamento più o meno lungo che va visto per effettuare una parata. Il problema principale è che non avendo quella profondità e quella precisione di parata di un sekiro, non può il combat system basarsi su questo, e deve essere integrato da abilitàcombo. Questo è avvenuto splendidamente con i vecchi star-wars, a partire dal vecchio "la vendetta dei sith" ai vari "il potere della forza 1 e 2". Su questo fallen-order invece non avviene, perché non ci sono abilità, oggetti, nulla di nulla. Le uniche abilità sono: una che rallenta il nemico, una che lo spinge via, ed un'altra che lo tira a sé. Nei vecchi Star Wars vi erano dei poteri che si integravano con le combo, c'era una profonda complessità ( andate a vedere le combo di spada possibili su un star-wars la vendetta dei sith ) che consentiva una "spettacolarità" che qui non c'è.
    In sostanza per riassumere, il combat system è un Sekiro con un sistema di parate peggiore e molto meno profondo.
    Ritornando invece a quel che funziona, parliamo dell'esplorazione. I poteri si integrano perfettamente con il movimento del giocatore, e man mano che avanza il gioco è possibile ripercorrere zone già scoperte per raggiungere posti prima inaccessibili. Se a questo leghiamo un reparto artistico di pregio, è facile arrivare al fatto che questo aspetto del gioco sia stupendo. Fantastica anche l'idea di integrare alcuni degli "upgrade" di movimento tramite un robottino che ci seguirà in tutto il gioco. Purtroppo però manca anche quella gratificazione dell'esplorazione, non essendoci qualcosa di veramente raro da trovare. Aggiungendo ad esempio un intero set di equipaggiamento, e qualcosa che influenzasse veramente la spada laser ( danno, velocità, danni magici, e parecchi altri parametri possibili ), si sarebbe data una complessità al gioco che avrebbe fato una spinta notevole al tutto.
    Riassumendo, avremo un continuo sviluppo delle abilità "della forza" del personaggio, e "meccaniche" del robottino ( ad esempio scalare in salita i cavi o attivare determinati circuiti ) che permetteranno il proseguimento della storia.
    In sostanza, purtroppo il gioco pecca nell'aspetto più importante, e si arriva a percepire i combattimenti come una stucchevole parentesi tra un'esplorazione divertente e l'altra. Questo ovviamente è inammissibile in un action-rpg...
    Peccato perché veramente, sarebbe bastato qualcosa in più per tirare fuori un capolavoro. Invece è un semplice puzzle game esplorativo, che non vale assolutamente 60€, e probabilmente non so quanto senso abbia di essere giocato. Nota divertente: non esiste alcun tipo di viaggio rapido ( se non tra pianeta e pianeta una volta ritornati alla nave spaziale ), proprio perché gli sviluppatori hanno capito che il percorrere la mappa e scoprire nuovi percorsi, è una delle parti più divertenti del gioco ( e forse l'unica )...
  59. Apr 12, 2020
    I'm basing this off six hours of gameplay, but I feel confident enough in saying that Dark Star Souls Wars is fantastic. It's a complex, meaty fighting system that truly feels like swinging a lightsaber, a great feeling of progression throughout, graphically competent and totally lacking in traditional EA greed. There's a passion in this game from the developers that oozes out of everyI'm basing this off six hours of gameplay, but I feel confident enough in saying that Dark Star Souls Wars is fantastic. It's a complex, meaty fighting system that truly feels like swinging a lightsaber, a great feeling of progression throughout, graphically competent and totally lacking in traditional EA greed. There's a passion in this game from the developers that oozes out of every pore.

I'll come back to this to review in full detail, but it gives one hell of a first impression.

EDIT: After beating the game, I've had to drop the score down a few pegs. Sadly, the first impression doesn't hold up, because it never changes its' pace or tone. You do roughly the same thing over and over again until it comes to a fairly abrupt conclusion.

The gameplay loop isn't bad; it just becomes monotonous and there's a lack of adventure the further you go that I honestly didn't expect from the first few hours. A shame - a good game, but a shame because it could have been tremendous.

So a 9 for the first few hours drops to a 7 overall. Lesson learned - don't just a book by its' cover, or even its' first few pages!
  60. Nov 17, 2019
    Note: This $60 title does not have any Steam achievements. But you do earn achievements through the 'Origin' client which is... Odd. Somehow they couldn't do both?

If you ever wondered, what if STAR WARS could take the mechanics of Dark Souls and turn it into a game, Jedi: Fallen Order is that game. I have a love/hate relationship with this game. Tip: Keyboard and mouse players? You

Tip: Keyboard and mouse players? You should really use a controller, this game caters to that more.

I personally don't mind the somewhat open worldness to this game, it reminds me a lot of Dark Souls and Tomb Raider. Just like Dark Souls in this game you have "meditation circles" which work exactly like "bon-fires." They reset enemies and your health pods (Stims). The character mechanics isn't Assassin's Creed like you always have to be pressing 'E' in order to grab onto ledges or else he'll lose grip, also the character can't jump for nothing. What a lackluster and disgrace Jedi.

The XP lost is where I hate this game. There are times where I lose all my XP due to a very powerful mini-boss, I try to get it back, I get it back, then die again and along the way and lose all my XP. I wish there was a way to turn this mechanic "off?" If you do lose all your XP and can't somehow get it back, you can't level up which means you can't get more skill points (you get these by leveling up) and this all comes down to being underpowered later on which you don't have set skills (which you could have had if you didn't lose all your XP). I personally think this XP lost ruins the game, I would rather take a Tomb Raider like experience where if you die you don't lose all your XP or have it where you tie the XP lost mechanic to harder difficulties.

I first started playing this game on the second hardest difficulty, 'Jedi Master.' I later on dropped it down to 'Story Mode' difficulty (the you're trash at the game difficulty) because I was getting my butt handed to me on KB&M later on in the game when I found mini-bosses. Even though I'm trying to complete this game with a KB&M, when I'm trying to fight mini-bosses, I will mostly lose so I have to repeat these battles multiple times in order to win. Even then there is bug where it resets your difficulty if you did by chance change difficulties during the game (so keep can eye on that if you keep losing battles). I feel like difficulties don't even lower the mob animations, no matter what they just hit harder and harder without missing, it's pretty annoying. Another annoying thing is randomly out of nowhere where animals aren't supposed to be, Tomb Guardians, Jotaz‎ and another creatures appear. It seems like Respawn ran out of enemies or content to give you in specific areas, so they're like "oh, here's things to fight."

Performance wise, I haven't had any crashes yet, but FPS does dip to low 51 with a 3900X and a 1070 FTW.

In short, Fallen Order is horribly imbalanced, every word that describes unbalanced this is the game. It's a lot of dodging and parrying, backtracking and repetitiveness. If you like that type of thing, get it. If not, good luck playing it.

"The goats (Phillaks) are the real threat of the galaxy." - Summit1G

Personally I only recommend this game due to the fact that the graphics, lore, the campaign and gameplay are pretty amazing, something that you can't get out of the Battlefront series. For an single-player only game though with no online at all, it's a tough sale. Is it worth $60? No, but I do think if the game was priced at $30 that would seem more reasonable and worth a buy at $30.
  61. Nov 29, 2019
    crappy controls, weak story. typical EA game with thousands of cutszenes
    not recommended
  62. Jan 20, 2020
    It's not a very good game on PC with certain hardware. The specs don't seem to matter no matter what you do. It's a fun game if you are able to play it.
  63. Feb 25, 2020
    Pro
    -Amazing combat system (well it is literally Sekiro Combat for the most parts but adding force power to mix)
    -Beautiful graphic and environment

Con
    - FPS Drop many area (but not in between battle fortunately)
    -Too much climbing and jumping
    -Too complexed map design, easily get lost.

Overall, the game is Ok fun for 20hrs, but don't expect too much. Replayability is very low.
  64. Feb 21, 2020
    Pros:

* Exceptional Graphics & lighting system. * Mostly fluid combat system with good parrying / countering / finishing animations. * Very cool Force abilities that are well-implemented in combat. * Multi-GPU support which functions spectacularly - able to run the game in 4k / 60fps with (2) 1080 Ti cards and the game runs absolutely fantastic with beautiful visuals and smooth
    Pros:

* Exceptional Graphics & lighting system.
    * Very cool Force abilities that are well-implemented in combat.
    * Multi-GPU support which functions spectacularly - able to run the game in 4k / 60fps with (2) 1080 Ti cards and the game runs absolutely fantastic with beautiful visuals and smooth performance.
    * - there's a point in the game where you have to climb an AT-AT Imperial Walker and that is a pretty neat mission. They did a really nice job rendering the Walker itself as well as just the whole scene. It was a neat way to change up the pace of the game while capturing the accuracy of the Star Wars assets like the AT-AT Walker.
    * Can upgrade to a dual bladed light saber like Darth Maul uses in Episode 1. Very cool combat animations with it.
    * The final boss fight is very well done. I won't spoil any of it with details, just will say it's very well done and true to the lore, the devs did a nice job with it.

Cons:

* Combat is very difficult and unforgiving. I had to play most boss fights on easy, and I'm generally pretty good at combat in these types of games.
    * Further building on the combat - I've seen some references on the Steam store page compare some of the combat to "Dark Souls" which IMO is not a favorable comparison - games where you have to die a bunch of times to figure out what you're supposed to do is not something I'd ever enjoy or recommend as it kills immersion. Teach me how to use the combat system and then let me become a master at it - this game does go over-the-top in some areas where you will face an opponent who you have to die a time or two to learn their moves which is an absolute immersion killer.
    * Seems to be no way to really descend if you want to climb down somewhere - just have to jump and pray you don't die.
    * A lot of instances during the story flow where Cal will just fall to his death - many of these instances are sort of like QTEs where you have to jump in or at a specific spot with exact precision while moving at high speed in order to not die which is a bit of an immersion killer as you cannot always see where you're going and it's a lot of guesswork. This is another situation that I'd say crushes immersion because you have to constantly die and try again in order to know where to go.
    * Like other similar games with similar mechanics, a lot of collectibles will be located in locations early in the game where you can't get to them, forcing you to have to backtrack - I always find this mechanic to be a bit tedious.
    * EA's Origin Client as a requirement even on Steam - this is the key reason I won't buy a personal copy of this game yet. If they remove the Origin Client requirement I'll buy it immediately on Steam.
    * Character development is kinda "meh". Cal is an ok character, but a lot of the people he meets along the way aren't really developed all that well individually or in regard to their relationships with Cal - not saying it's awful, but it could have been done a LOT better as a lot is left up to assumption - for example he'll have only a handful of actual conversations with certain people, if that, but later in the game certain conversations will imply he's really close buddies with those people - overall in this regard it just makes the game's relationships with each other and the protagonist not feel all that thoroughly developed when compared with a game like say The Witcher.
    * Jumping system as far as navigation is pretty bad. Lots of deaths from simply my character not jumping very far on the first try, etc. in areas where you're having to jump through the trees and land exactly right when it's tough to land at all if your character doesn't jump far enough - it's just like an aforementioned bullet point where the movement system is just too unforgiving.
    * Too much "exploring" and just navigating the maps like Tomb Raider...I didn't mind that in Tomb Raider because that's the point, but this game needs a LOT more combat and less just wandering around - because of these types of mechanics, stretches of the game can be very boring.

Other Commentary: I'd like to get another one of these games, and hopefully some of the cons will be addressed. Would love a smoother combat system with bette responses and parrying precision while not making it so difficult that you have to die at least once every boss fight in order to learn the enemy's moves. I'd also like to see, if they do a future game with Cal Kestis, him doing his thing in full Jedi robes as he never gets them in this game as they are on the run for most of the game to deal with their mission and the Jedi are on the run anyway. It would just be cool to be wearing a Jedi robe like Obi Wan & Anakin while fighting with a light saber.

Overall Rating: 7/10 - solid, but definitely some areas of improvement. I'd recommend the game at $20 or less.
  65. Feb 2, 2020
    Comparing this to Jedi Academy, the combat is boring, graphics aren't great, it's a PC hog and the story is mediocre. The bosses have to be hit 1000 times with the lightsaber to be killed, while you, on any decent difficulty, can't take more than ca 4 hits during the entire fight.
    First time I played it, I got to 52% and the game suddenly wiped all my files and I had to start over. The second time I played it, I got to 57% and got a white screen bug and I had to start over. Needless to say I haven't played it the third time. It's not worth the money.
  66. 4y4
    Feb 15, 2020
    The story is great in my opinion but the Jedi powers and the lightsaber feel too powerless and nerfed.
  67. Feb 21, 2020
    Beautiful game, getting towards the amazingness of Jedi Outcast from decades ago, but hampered by boring repetition and by me not being able to find my way back to the goddam Mantis spaceship, ever
  68. Jan 19, 2020
    decent game, first time playing or watching anything related to star wars, gameplay is oki, fight system was a bit weird to me, i gave it 7 for the music and visuals
  69. Feb 19, 2020
    finally very good game located in Star Wars word, but graphics could be better, and game should be more shooter and/or RPG like.
  70. Oct 3, 2020
    Nice metroidvania in star wars universe. But combat is not great and the plot is not interesting.
  71. Dec 23, 2019
    Fallen Order looks great, sounds great and plays great. I liked every aspect of the gameplay. The combat has complexity to it and fun learning curve if you play on higher difficulties. Boss fights did what they were supposed to do. I wasnt blown away, but they didnt disappoint. Platforming even if unoriginal was fun and even the puzzles were enjoyable to figure out. And searching forFallen Order looks great, sounds great and plays great. I liked every aspect of the gameplay. The combat has complexity to it and fun learning curve if you play on higher difficulties. Boss fights did what they were supposed to do. I wasnt blown away, but they didnt disappoint. Platforming even if unoriginal was fun and even the puzzles were enjoyable to figure out. And searching for collectibles and lore didnt feel like a chore. However the customization is limited to your poncho and droid (the ship also, but who cares) and the lore pieces are not as extensive and deep as I would like them to be. So you might stop looking for them halfway through the game. I did a 100% run, but if I ever play it again, I will focus only on the main story, I know that for sure. The backtracking however is as annoying as you would expect, I dont understand why sp games still do this.

Playing as one of few surviving jedi after order 66 sounds amazing, the premise is epic. The execution not so much, the story is probably the weakest part of the game, its competent enough and gives reason to the places you visit and things you do, but its not something that would keep me playing if the gameplay wasnt as good as it is. The characters are a mixed bag, some are interesting, but mostly I didnt care. However there are some great moments, mostly to the end of the game. The ending itself made me little mad, but it makes complete sense, it would **** up continuity of the main saga if it ended differently.

Overall this is a very competent AAA game with great gameplay and audiovisuals, but mediocre story and few questionable mechanics, mainly all the backtracking.
  72. Dec 3, 2019
    Way too consolecentric for a PC game. It has very limited graphics tweaks, so even if you're rocking a high end gaming system that flies at 1440p 144hz on Ultra settings, you're still locked into XBox/PS4 meh graphics settings and chunky hair, even on "epic".

The biggest issue though is the abysmal checkpoint save system, which goes ridiculously too far between checkpoints. I'm not a fan of checkpoint save systems to begin with, but if they are frequent and close together, like in Tomb Raider, they are at least tolerable, although still aggravating and just... why?? In this game the checkpoint saves are far too infrequent though. There is nothing more aggravating that playing for 25 minutes and progressing far through an area with difficult timing puzzles/opponents, with clunky keyboard controls, only to die and respawn back at the beginning, with it all to do all over again. I'm doing my best not to rage quit the game, because the worlds and story are interesting. This save system though.... ugh!

The game does a pretty lousy job of indicating where you need to go next to progress the quest as well. Maybe I'm too used to Witcher 3 and Ghost Recon type games, that give you a good map with trail markers to your quest objective. This game though goes the polar opposite. No direction at all, other than BD-1 sometimes jumping off of you and standing in a spot, indicating you may want to go vaguely in X direction. Way too vague and confusing at times for my liking.

As for the people claiming that it's too easy and boring, I would say that they are clearly boasting for attention, or they need to get a life and spend less time gaming. There is nothing easy about this game. Maybe I'm not as crisp as I used to be, but twas a time when I was top 100 in CS, and I've been gaming for 30 years and played about everything you can think of. I don't suck, and I am struggling with this game. Probably primarily due to the crappy save system.

I don't hate the game, and I want to like it, but this is not a good PC port and it is as aggravating as it is fun as a result.
  73. Aug 17, 2020
    Completed Star Wars Fallen Order - This is a game that's classic EA and not in a good way.
    Pretty decent idea for a story, on the run Padawan, last hope to rebuild the Jedi Order etc. No spoilers here btw.
    As you play through, the game starts out pretty interesting, introducing new and interesting characters and some famous faces of great actors to boot. Sadly though, as soon as they appear they are gone, leaving holes in the game and you end up wondering what was the point...The cynic knows the answer to this and that is the point was to be able to put them in the trailer for the game...
    Then the ideas run out...the game is padded out by Tombraider/Uncharted/Assassins Creed-esque climbing and platforming around a limited number of predefined levels across 4 different planets (5 if you include the short final level. One planet is so not Star Wars that you wonder what game you're playing! And some of the interesting characters you enroll on your journey are not used in the game and relegated to just mere cameos.
    Just as the story is getting good again ...Bam! it's over so abruptly that you watch the credits roll in disbelief.
    Game mechanics are ok, a bit too binary and not as smooth as Assasins Creed or Horizon Zero Dawn but passable all the same. Camera angles can be sloppy but it's not often and the animations are average except the lightsaber fighting which is EXCELLENT!
    Overall, you are left with the same old feeling that EA directed the studio to make a game on the cheap, "but must look great on trailers and the first hour must be good for early reviewers".
    The game is ultimately shallow, a waste of the IP and the assets that a Star Wars license provides. 5/10
  74. Dec 3, 2020
    This game is both disappointing and somehow at the same time managed to exceed everyones expectations. I think the latter achievement can be explained by the fact that nobody expected an EA published Star Wars game in 2020 to not be an incompetent cash grab. That it isn't.

I still feel like this game could've been so much more. The graphics are its best quality, stunning in places. The performance of the game and the technical aspects leave a lot to be desired however. The game, to this day, does not run very well even on extremely modern hardware (in my case, a 3080). This is forgivable however, because the game is far far away from being unplayable.

It's very playable, and at times can be a challenging and satisfying experience. That being said, the problem lies with how safe it all feels. The game doesn't really manage to do anything all that original, and has quite obviously taken a lot of inspiration from other game formula that are already tried and tested and proven to work. This isnt inherently a bad thing, in fact, i attribute this to be the main reason the game isn't a failure.

While the game is made better by its copied ideas and gameplay loop, it also ends up feeling extremely safe because of it. The game does absolutely nothing in the way of breaking new ground or creating an original experience. It suffers because of this.

So while the inspirations the devs have taken into account when designing the game certainly help keep it from being a bad game, they also are its biggest problem. Technically, this game is better on almost every level when compared to The Force Unleashed, yet, i had more fun playing through TFU. This game has far more depth than TFU, and yet i was more interested in the main character in the latter game.

This is telling of how safe this game has played it. Where TFU was extremely experimental and arguably unfinished in places, it was also extremely fun and succeeded in fulfilling the power fantasy a lot more than Fallen Order has.

"Playing it safe" applies to Fallen Order in more ways than just game design. Although it may seem like a small detail, the lack of dismemberment in the game is extremely revealing and telling of just how safe this game needed to be. It shows that the creators of the game are willing to sacrifice something that has been part of the franchise and something that is logical, just to achieve a wider audience. They chose to hurt the gameplay just for more sales. This sucks.

Again, the dismemberment point is seemingly small and inconsequential to some people, but when you consider it in the grand scheme of things, it becomes a much bigger problem than when taken at face value. The power fantasy is suddenly extremely damaged, lightsaber feels like you're beating people with a powerful stick rather than a white hot futuristic weapon. There are more domino effects that come of this safe decision. I wont get into them here.

After TFU, the force powers here feel extremely underwhelming and while i understand that TFU is no longer canon and was definitely OTT, i feel like Fallen Order could definitely have had a little more fun with its force powers.

In conclusion, all of this adds up to a very competent and deliberate package. A laser precise design, crafted to be experienced just how they want you to experience it.

I could go on for hours about how safe every aspect of the game is, up until the end when something actually fun and cool finally happens. But ive already written enough..

Safe is the best word i can think of when describing the game, and its the one i will stick with.

Safe/10
  75. Dec 3, 2019
    This game is essentially a mid-grade platformer combined with a mid-grade 3rd-person action game. Not bad, not exceptional, just somewhat above average, mostly due to very polished character design. You are not the hero of the galaxy, you are not vader's asssassin gone rogue, you are an everyday padawan with an amusing gimmick who would do well as a detective but fares poorly as a jediThis game is essentially a mid-grade platformer combined with a mid-grade 3rd-person action game. Not bad, not exceptional, just somewhat above average, mostly due to very polished character design. You are not the hero of the galaxy, you are not vader's asssassin gone rogue, you are an everyday padawan with an amusing gimmick who would do well as a detective but fares poorly as a jedi hero.

The level design is the biggest failure here. These levels look pretty, and are well drawn, but are convoluted and poorly thought-out messes, very easy to get lost in, and often without any clear objective to deal with, going for a very cramped, tiny aesthetic with lots of sliding-down-ramps and tomb raider-esque shenanigans. You still have a lightsaber, this magic sword that can cut through anything; but the only things it can cut in these levels are nonhuman opponents and ropes.

If you're a huge fan of tomb raider and thought the Force Unleashed was too over the top and needed a weaker cast of characters, this would be the game for you.
  76. Nov 30, 2019
    disappointed but not surprised.jpeg
    the game tries to be a sekiro with lightsabers and fails.
    disappointed but not surprised.jpeg
    the game tries to be a sekiro with lightsabers and fails.
    it also tries to make you feel powerful (trough trailers, mainly) and fails too. because the blood/souls genre is not made for a jedi. you want to feel almighty, you want to freaking cross the battlefield throwing force and lightsabers (and even a blast of gun here and there if possible) against your enemies, you dont want to parry like sekiro (actually a lot worst and less efficiently than sekiro).
    and i'm not talking about difficulty level, i'm fine with higher difficulty levels, as long as it still manages to make you feel powerful (in a SW game, specially).
    i almost can't believe this game is licensed. Alright, there are lightsabers, and some clones, but you'll mostly fight against wildlife. and none of this wildlife was known nor 'star-wars-like' to me. i honestly didn't buy the idea of being in a SW game. it felt like a poorly copied sekiro with a lightsaber mod. And plotwise i have mixed feelings, not terrible, not great either. it seems rushed. Like, 'let's finish it up, guys, we gotta launch this before the next movie and mandalorian series'.
    it's not like it's the worst game ever, but it did disappointed me a lot.
    it is cool to deflect blasts with the saber, its cool to force push/pull some enemies (even tho Control made me feel more like a jedi than this game, freaking CONTROL, a FBI-ish-action-with-monsters-third-person-shooter) and some lightsaber duels were really great, specially the ninth sister battle, but it failed miserably to deliver those I'MA FREACKING BADASS JEDI that i (always) wanted.
    even by the end of the game you'll feel weak, slow, you dont jump high, you have a disgusting FORCE METER, WTF?, you cant even defeat one clonetrooper with a taserstick without getting hit, imagine more than one, plus a bunch of poison spitting spiders. frustrating as hell.
    if they had to copy a fightstyle from another game, i wish it had been the spider-man/arkhan batman/freaking middle earth shadow of war, etc.

ps: the endless backtracking with this **** as hell map system is disgusting. and those sliding segments, ma mens??? why? did ANYONE in the offices, while making the game, said "WOW, THATS COOL" ??? because its not. at all
    how the user score is set to 8.2 is way, WAY beyond my comprehension
  77. Aug 7, 2020
    It's a good graphic, but graphic impact is only in the beginning. Exploring maps and finding path are too boring. I gave up this game.
  78. Dec 19, 2019
    So... Wasn't too sure of this, Star Wars is always a delicated matter, but i get into it thanks to my friends...

Gameplay: The Game is Easy, for someone like me that have completed easily Sekiro, and has a similar gameplay with some differences in power ups, and parry windows, but overall i found the gameplay funny and good for my standards. Graphic & Performance: Nothing fantastic

Graphic & Performance: Nothing fantastic here, it is quite standard for 2019, problem is the really bad performance drops due to maps loading and physics which is, well, funny, it remembered me of Skyrim, anyway in all the story i found myself trapped inside of textures two times, and was able to excape without exiting fro the game.

Story: It's an original one, with some characters taken from the film's Trilogy, and it's "good", it's enjoyable but nothing special, that', together with performance and graphic led me to the "7" i gave.

To sum up: Easy and funny game, with an enjoyable story, nothing special but surely better than the last SW films. Hope for a sequel, 7/10.
  79. Dec 5, 2019
    Really good game! Week ago i bought Premier pass for new NFS and SW. Played about 3 hours and was only few graphical glitches. Game have good graphic, combat is ok, sound nothing special for SW)) Only thing I don't really like is faces (only few girls OK :) ) and can't play with my switch pro controller. Hope game will be patched and for now I enjoyed and have fun hours. Absolutely worth 1Really good game! Week ago i bought Premier pass for new NFS and SW. Played about 3 hours and was only few graphical glitches. Game have good graphic, combat is ok, sound nothing special for SW)) Only thing I don't really like is faces (only few girls OK :) ) and can't play with my switch pro controller. Hope game will be patched and for now I enjoyed and have fun hours. Absolutely worth 1 month of subscription to play this game, but i don't like most of vault EA games.
    PS: completed game and don't like to visit same places again and again. Also don't like harder difficulty - it's not challenging, mostly annoyng. BTW i can recommend it to complete story on medium difficult, for me it was optimal and good.
    may the force be with you! =)
  80. Jan 4, 2021
    Recommended only for Star Wars and typical adventure games fans.
    Visuals - 8/10,
    Combat - 6/10,
    Plot - politically correct stamped soap - 4/10,
    Novelty of the gameplay - 1/10.
  81. Dec 4, 2019
    Decent and solid action platformer with good Artwork and Music that pulls you straight into the Star Wars Unniverse. Linear Jedi-Level-Path with Jumping, Crawling and fighting with your Light Saber - No Blasters for you Kid. Level Design is Ok- the virtual Map is quite useful. There are also some Puzzles. Gametime is about 10 hours in Story Mode - which I choose for a ralaxed gameplay.Decent and solid action platformer with good Artwork and Music that pulls you straight into the Star Wars Unniverse. Linear Jedi-Level-Path with Jumping, Crawling and fighting with your Light Saber - No Blasters for you Kid. Level Design is Ok- the virtual Map is quite useful. There are also some Puzzles. Gametime is about 10 hours in Story Mode - which I choose for a ralaxed gameplay. Save Points are good and the game is not at all frustrating if you miss jump or fail a fight. Expand
  82. Jan 14, 2020
    Pros:
    - Beautiful graphics.
    - Fun to explore the planets. Cons: - Shallow and boring story typical for the Star Wars universe. - Unresponsive combat system (feels like you're playing with high ping). - Little to no flow in the combat for the first half of the game (strike dodge repeat). - The majority of the bosses are health sponges that you can only hit twice before you have to
    Pros:
    - Beautiful graphics.
    - Fun to explore the planets.

Cons:
    - Shallow and boring story typical for the Star Wars universe.
    - Unresponsive combat system (feels like you're playing with high ping).
    - The majority of the bosses are health sponges that you can only hit twice before you have to roll away.
  83. Jan 12, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is... okay. A really high quality game with immediately forgettable characters you can’t sympathize and a mundane story. I enjoyed some of the mechanics and certain planets/levels, but overall this was quite a disappointment considering the initial hype. Many say that you need to love the Star Wars universe in order to fully enjoy the game, but I believe that a good story is a good story regardless of how familiar you are with the franchise. Fallen Order just doesn’t have it.

- Level design is great up until you get to the monkey planet the second time, where it becomes slightly ridiculous.
    - You can’t upgrade your sword, and there are no ranged weapons (you can throw a sword late in the game, but it’s quite useless), meaning that you have only one way to play. There are only a few useful skills since at the end of the day it’s about parrying and dodging.
    - You would expect a jedi to be a little bit more powerful - basically, you can only perform a few special attacks at the beginning of the game. - All enemies are pretty much the same, and, as you probably know, you can’t slide’n’dice human enemies. Seriously?!
    - The lore... Well, it’s really shallow. You find some short notes and clues, but they all feel AI-generated, something along the lines of “there was a lot of suffering here”. It doesn’t enrich the story or provide any further explanation to your pointless quest.
    - Bosses are neither interesting or hard. That guy on the red planet? He doesn’t even play any significant part in the story, they could easily replace him with a giant spider (for example).
    - Finally, the ending... Seriously?!
  84. Dec 1, 2019
    My totally subjective review: Game is fun as hell to play. But not cause the game is fun to *play*. The world feels so star wars that to me at least it makes me want to keep playing. but i would argue the mechanics are just bad. In a game like this every skill should feed into the next. Increasing the length of your combat flow as the game progresses. And this just doesnt. I had access toMy totally subjective review: Game is fun as hell to play. But not cause the game is fun to *play*. The world feels so star wars that to me at least it makes me want to keep playing. but i would argue the mechanics are just bad. In a game like this every skill should feed into the next. Increasing the length of your combat flow as the game progresses. And this just doesnt. I had access to everything i needed to win at the end that i had at the beginning. The skills dont make you more powerful per se. They just gate keep "puzzles". Saber Customization is fab. Love that. Wish the customization had some gameplay effects but whatevs. Saber use is stupid. Seriously. Dual ends do nothing to change how i play. And when i finally get dual sabers it adds *one* **sub attack**. Love the companions. All of them. Theyre perfect. But holy **** Cal is a blank white piece of paper. Nother hot take. This story was boring as hell. Like thats TOTALLY subjective but honestly i feel like it went nowhere. The whole game feels like a large prequel to me. **Final verdict:** Play this game. Seriously. Do it. The world is SO much fun youll stay engaged. And the side chars are charming af. But as a *game* its a slog and a half. **gimme a better sequel please.** Expand
  85. Dec 3, 2019
    Хоть заимствование и плохо, но меня как поклонника Souls like игр приятно удивило наличие очередной игры на просторах гейм индустрии, так еще и по вселенной Star Wars. Жаль конечно, что реализовано это было из рук вон плохо.
    1. Сюжет.
    1. Сюжет.
    История банальная, но не считаю, что плохо пересказывать уже известные истории, жаль конечно, что нас не порадовали чем-то новым, но если не сравнивать игру, то получилось приятная история, во многом благодаря внешности ГГ, если конечно закрыть глаза на некоторые аспекты Актера.
    2. Механики и управление
    Механики слизаны Солс Лайк игр и на этом их плюс заканчивается, т.к. реализованы они к сожалению криво, уворотом пользоватся неудобно, управление тяжелое и мешает вместо того чтобы помогать, не чувствуется гибкость мастера джедая, камера вечно наровит куда-то смытся. Точки медитации работают как-то странно, то забываешь нажать на отдых и спавнишься бог знает где, то даже не садишься за точку, а она запоминается почему-то
    3. Дизайн уровней и решения связанные с перемещением по карте.
    Это наверное самый жирный минус в этой игре для меня. Дизайнер уровней в этой игре постарался сделать всё возможное, чтобы испортить жизнь людям, которые зашли в эту игру. Если в ДС ты мог с удовольтсвием открывать для себя невероятное удобство путешествия по миру, и даже не пытатся гуглить путь к тому или иному месту, шорткату или частичке фляски (стиму в ЗВ), то в этой игре это просто ужас. Мало того что сама карта ужасно реализована и становится понятна только через часа 4-5 игры, так еще и шорткаты реализованы ужасно и бесполезно, по факту половина шорткатов не нужны, а те которые нужны ты еще и не замечаешь, потому что они выглядят либо как неюзабельные двери либо как обычные двери и так со всем что есть на локации. Дизайн мира местами красивый, а местам не приспособлен к удобному геймплею.
    5. Остальное
    Можно было бы расписать еще что-то о древе навыков, о косметике и крафте меча, но это всё смешно этого считайте что и нет. Древо навыков нету смысла называть древом навыков, потому что оно таковым не считается. Если бы все эти навыки давало просто вместе с остальными возможностями силы, которые открываются по мере прохождения, то никто бы и не заметил разницы. Потому что дойдя до конца игры я и так прокачал абсолютно всё, что там было. Косметика жалкая и никчемная, можно не переодевать персонажа и опять сильно никто бы не расстроился, с мечем та же история.

Может показаться, что мне не понравилась игра, но это не так. Просто я не считаю, что если у нее будет продолжение, то оно должно быть таким же как эта часть. Я не считаю, что за те деньги, что запросили ЕА, мы получили то количество геймплея и возможностей, что дают другие игры за похожие цены.
  86. Dec 14, 2019
    Fun game. Great location and level design (except getting back to your ship on Zeffo.) but mediocre characters and story plus being so railroaded made for a decent, but but not great game. Better than most Star Wars games though, which is a plus. Made me miss Force Unleashed.
  87. Dec 12, 2019
    A very fun experience even if it is a little too familiar. Respawn copies a lot of great games and makes all the different elements fit together well even if they didn't expand on any of the mechanics that they copied. Still this game gets points just for being very fun and not having any annoying things in it.
  88. Dec 4, 2020
    Le tenía muchas ganas y al final me lo dieron con la suscripción de EA normal.

Tengo sensaciones contradictorias con este juego. En primer lugar, me parece muy aventurado decir que tiene toques de souls. Vamos...eso son palabras mayores. El combate con los soldados imperiales me me ha gustado, no tanto contra los bichos y contras los jefazos de forma muy desigual. Los hay muy
    Le tenía muchas ganas y al final me lo dieron con la suscripción de EA normal.

El combate con los soldados imperiales me me ha gustado, no tanto contra los bichos y contras los jefazos de forma muy desigual. Los hay muy asequibles tras unos intentos y otros que se hace muy muy cuesta arriba.

Lo que no me ha gustado absolutamente nada es cómo te mueves por el escenario, sobre todo cuando has completado la misión de cada planeta, por mucho mapa que haya. Tremendamente pesado.

Pero bueno, como nueva IP de Star Wars puede ser un buen punto de partida para una segunda entrega.
  89. Dec 14, 2019
    Graphics are impressive and audio is solid. Didn't like all the backtracking even though map is 3D it's still confusing to get back. Story is not really interesting, it's just a reason to fight. Some puzzles and sliding are little bit a chore.. Overall it's solid game, not bad not great.
  90. Dec 15, 2020
    The first 45-60 minutes seemed so promising, but the more I played of Fallen Order, the less I could be bothered to keep going. This game throws together concepts we've seen many times before, from Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Soulsborne and the like, but somehow manages to make all of these elements feel inferior and less fun compared to where they were clearly borrowed from. It's notThe first 45-60 minutes seemed so promising, but the more I played of Fallen Order, the less I could be bothered to keep going. This game throws together concepts we've seen many times before, from Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Soulsborne and the like, but somehow manages to make all of these elements feel inferior and less fun compared to where they were clearly borrowed from. It's not necessarily a *bad* game, just so uninspired and unremarkably average that I really don't understand where it got all its praise from. The only things that stood out positively to me where some of the visually impressive set pieces, the characters' faces / facial animations and their decent voice acting.
    There's also a range of technical issues, so that certainly doesn't help. Overall just a very generic and forgettable action adventure, which I'd assume only got so much traction because it has the Star Wars license tacked onto it.
  91. Aug 12, 2020
    Buen juego y buena apuesta al futuro de este título nuevo de "EA Star Wars", la verdad esque Respawn ha hecho un buen trabajo con este juego pero se queda en poco ya que parece que todos los aspectos del juego, los cuales muchos vienen de referencias y otros títulos de la actualidad están bien llevados y se sienten bien... pero todo parece estar hecho a corre prisa, da la sensación de queBuen juego y buena apuesta al futuro de este título nuevo de "EA Star Wars", la verdad esque Respawn ha hecho un buen trabajo con este juego pero se queda en poco ya que parece que todos los aspectos del juego, los cuales muchos vienen de referencias y otros títulos de la actualidad están bien llevados y se sienten bien... pero todo parece estar hecho a corre prisa, da la sensación de que todas las mecánicas, mapas y sobretodo el tema de colecciona-bles se quedo a mitad de fuelle por meter prisa y salir con el estreno de la última y horrible película de star wars.

El juego tiene referentes muy claros y el más obvio es Dark Souls, y he de decir que en combate casa perfectamente, las peleas entre jedis son impresionantes y muy cinemáticas, mientras que contra criaturas y otros seres vivos molaría pulir lo más, ya que aveces se siente extraño.

En combate me alegro que hayan tomado como referente a Dark Souls, pero el sistema de enemigos y "hogueras".... creo sinceramente que no pega nada con Star Wars, ni con el ritmo de aventura que lleva el juego al estilo Uncharted, te saca mucho de la experiencia que los enemigos simplemente hagan POP en sus respectivos sitios al levantarte de meditar.

Más allá de gameplay hay que decir que la historia esta bastante bien, es interesante, los personajes son buenos, con trasfondo y en general no hay ninguno que no tenga importancia o no sientas interés por él, no es nada del otro mundo pero es bastante entretenida.

En resumen me parece un buen título y espero que EA siga apostando por los singleplayer como este, y si su idea es hacer una saga de este título hay que decir que tienen muuuucho que mejorar, pero como un inicio esta bastante bien.
  92. Dec 6, 2019
    Just finished the game, it was Very good game in SW universe, but way to short. Would recommend this game on the discount, but for the full price right now it is not worth due the lenght of the game :/
  93. Aug 9, 2020
    after playing it for 5 to 6 hours I came to conclusion that this game wasn't worth it to play any further.

- it has good graphics, animations, voice acting etc. but that doesn't make it a good game - too much backtracking for its own good - enemies respawn immediately if you die. It would be okay if they respawned after you revisit the planet not after you die. - often times

- too much backtracking for its own good

- often times you have no idea where to go. the map is just a **** like a 3d scan of an ant hill. You will get lost a lot !

- too much idiotic puzzles relying on trial & error with absolutely 0 hints what to do. Its like a puzzle & maze game.

- Theres a path where you can get stuck easily. You have to slide the ice down then jump and walk on the 2 walls and catch the rope that is so far away that I managed only to do it a single time after maybe 30 attempts to catch that stupid rope.

- level design is subpar as often time you would think that some places & paths are reachable or accessible only for you to fall into the abyss.

- You'll be spending most of your time just trying to figure out where to go, and what are you supposed to be doing.

- whats the point of lightsaber customization apart from color if you can't even see it while playing.

- You will die a lot especially in boss battles and those most deaths feel cheap unlike in Dark Souls

- No beheading or dismemberment of stormtroopers.

- Jedi abilities feel limited. Theres only so much times you will use until you get tired of it.

- artificial blockers you can't get past until later in the game because you don't have double jump or whatever the ****
  94. Sep 5, 2020
    This game had/has so much potential, but there's just too many overlooked/unpolished flaws to where I think 7/10 is being generous. I did enjoy it overall.

Pain in the ass startup time. Even on an SSD the startup times and checkpoint loading times are frustratingly long. There are also long elevator rides where you're just standing there for 30 seconds... Do not like the

Do not like the checkpoint/save method. It's tedious. The boxes take annoying long to open. His repetitive speech to his robot companion is annoying.

In most fights you can't attack, block, and dodge quick enough. Your character is extremely slow to respond. Trying to make up for those deficits by using the force isn't viable or enjoyable. You're supposed to be a Jedi, yet your character is slower than a normal person. You can hit all the right buttons but it seems like a majority of the time they don't result in your character taking the corresponding action, and you just have to sit there and roll your eyes while he dies and you have to do it all over again. Because of this, I highly recommend using a trainer with this game - even just for unlimited force.

Even then I came across an enemy that is designed to be defeated by the force, and which I previously defeated many times, yet this time for some reason is totally immune.

Also, you can't interrupt most enemy attacks by hitting them, but they can interrupt yours by hitting you.

Very glad they have a variety of difficulty levels to choose from, which includes making blocking timings less important. But even on the lower difficulties they still have annoying bosses that take forever to kill, where you pretty much get one attack and then have to dodge 3-4 attacks/times, attack once, dodge 3-4 times, repeat 10+ times till the boss is dead. That's so annoying.

There are some areas where only a really specific and precise movement combination will get you past the point. But it can be so ambiguous and exact that it can leave you confused about what you're even supposed to do, and thus have to look up a playthrough to watch what you're supposed to do.

I like the general movement idea. It's similar to Titanfall 2, and some other games. Just worse implementation.

They did a pretty good job with the map. Though it can get overwhelming once you explore enough of it. Also, it's the type of game where there are places and things you can't access till later on, and you have to remember where they are because they're not marked on your map. That's terrible IMO. You also can't open your map when underwater, so you have to constantly get to the surface/land then back down again. Or just not explore underwater.

You have to run back through the same areas multiple times, and even though some shortcuts are opened afterwards they're not short enough. Also, there are nonobvious triggers, such as stepping onto an elevator, that unlock shortcuts. And if you don't know about that particular unlock then you have to travel back a super long way when you revisit the area. Due to this issue, and others that I've listed, I find it necessary to use a video walkthrough for this game, which I really don't like, since it breaks immersion.

There are many times where something seems like it's not doable or not meant to be done yet, but there actually is a very esoteric method of doing it that you would have to watch a playthrough to learn how.

It seems to be designed around console/controller use. Even though it's playable with KB&M there are still a few annoying and unpolished things, including the mouse movement and menu.

There are times where you have to grab things and accurately throw them long distances, yet it give you no way to aim them. So you have to do it over and over every time. Sometimes it's part of a puzzle, which makes it even worse, since you have to try something a dozen times just to see if it's what you're supposed to do or not. Then it might turn out in the end that it was only to unlock some useless skin.

There are so many instances where the mechanics of the game simply don't work. IE: you're supposed to pull a rope toward you to swing on, but it just doesn't work, and you fall to your death. Your character is supposed to grab onto a ledge, but doesn't, and you fall down a level and have to run all the way back. You press a "use the force" button and it does nothing. You slow an enemy, get behind them, then attack them and they still hit you. You're pressing a key to do whatever, but it doesn't register.

Graphics to FPS cost ratio isn't great. There's something similar to a fog that degrades the visuals.

Bizarrely, and seemingly incredibly lazily, they only have people voice the first few sentences of things, and then make you read the rest. And even then, you can't simply listen to the first part and read the 2nd part because the option to open the text is timed, so by the time the voice is done the option will be gone.
  95. Dec 10, 2019
    Its nice game with nice story and characters. Little boring we can visiting only 3-4 locations . Every single planet has the same schema. New opponents, new Jedi power and at the end new Boss. Music is nice
  96. Nov 25, 2020
    ok for the first 10 hours or so,fight and puzzle,gameplay itself it's just repeating,half way through the game,i just wanted to beat it and get over it
  97. Feb 4, 2020
    Amazing combat with mixed with great story, unfortunately drag down by boring platforming and uninteresting loot which discourages from exploring.
  98. Dec 2, 2019
    no microtransactions, safe to buy, story is what you would expect from a star wars but the gameplay is really good.
  99. Dec 6, 2019
    Fallen Order is basically a Starwars ripoff of Sekiro. Its attempts to implement most of the major features: Parrying; Posture bar; Underwater breathing; blah blah blah; etc... Its doesn't quite achieve the same heights in my opinion. The parrying is a bit weird. It's sort of timed from the moment the enemy swings, rather than the moment of impact. The boss fights can be a bit gimmicky andFallen Order is basically a Starwars ripoff of Sekiro. Its attempts to implement most of the major features: Parrying; Posture bar; Underwater breathing; blah blah blah; etc... Its doesn't quite achieve the same heights in my opinion. The parrying is a bit weird. It's sort of timed from the moment the enemy swings, rather than the moment of impact. The boss fights can be a bit gimmicky and just don't have the same 'oomph'. Overall, the game is too short. It also overdoes it a bit with the cut scenes. Despite all this, however, it's a good game and I recommend it. But I can't help feeling they should have taken inspiration from the Jedi Knight game's with their fantastic free form combat system, rather than make a Sekiro copy. Expand
  100. Dec 6, 2019
    I find the Fallen Order to be a decent single player experience, though I was always left wanting. Growing up with Jedi outcast, battlefront II (2005) and Bounty Hunter I felt that this game, while good is more reflective of the game industry bas a whole with decent single player experiences being rare.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 32 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Jan 10, 2020
    Fallen Order is a must have for Star Wars fans and the best Star Wars game in years. Both literally and figuratively: the Force is strong with this one. [01/2020, p.42]
  2. Dec 19, 2019
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order gives its best on PC, delivering an awesome experience in 4K and 60 frames per second with advanced visual effects.
    An excellent entry into the new Star Wars canon.