8.3

1. Jun 15, 2013
    Good concept, but bad execution for the PC release. For the iOS version, the only practical controls were a button to move left, and a button to move right. That's fine.

But when the game was released for PC, no mouse support was added. I've seen reviews saying this game is "fiendishly difficult" and hard, but it's artificially difficult because the controls are garbage. They are too sensitive, so fine tuned movements are difficult. Also, if you even slightly overshoot/undershoot how long to hold the buttons to move, you die.

Adding mouse controls would make this game far less frustrating and less "fake difficult", since you can focus on pattern recognition and skillfully weaving your movements with a mouse instead of dying because you held down the "move right" button a quarter second too long. I would think such an implementation to be fairly simple, and it's lack of inclusion makes for sub-par gameplay on a pc.

I can't recommend this game in its current state. It's just not fun dying all the time because of poor controls
  2. Nov 28, 2012
    Potentially addictive game, horrible controls. I can see how this could have done well on the iOS. With a touchscreen, the controls would've been very intuitive. On an xbox 360 controller and/or keyboard, the controls are sloppy and you are often extremely underestimating or overestimating how far you have to move the triangle you are controlling and you die not due to a mistake inPotentially addictive game, horrible controls. I can see how this could have done well on the iOS. With a touchscreen, the controls would've been very intuitive. On an xbox 360 controller and/or keyboard, the controls are sloppy and you are often extremely underestimating or overestimating how far you have to move the triangle you are controlling and you die not due to a mistake in calculations, but due to sloppy controls. This could easily be patched though, so i will amend my review upon fixing. Expand
  3. Nov 28, 2013
    I don't see why this game is so highly rated. I love action games, puzzle games, and even some very difficult games like VVVVVV, but this game rotates the screen just to be difficult. Perhaps if this mechanic was added later in the game to increase difficulty, it wouldn't be such a terrible design decision, but the game is immediately retardly difficult for no discernable reason.I don't see why this game is so highly rated. I love action games, puzzle games, and even some very difficult games like VVVVVV, but this game rotates the screen just to be difficult. Perhaps if this mechanic was added later in the game to increase difficulty, it wouldn't be such a terrible design decision, but the game is immediately retardly difficult for no discernable reason. Minimalistic games can be phenomenally fun, even when difficult, but this game's design is just lazy. Obviously the masses love it, so maybe it's just me. Expand
  4. Jan 13, 2014
    Save your money. This game is horrendous. If you survive past 5 seconds great job. I really wish I saved my 60 cents and bought a McDonalds ice cream instead.
  5. Apr 6, 2014
    Super Hexagon can best be described as a twitch rhythm game where you dodge increasingly complex line patterns spawned off screen, flowing inward to your hexagon. While I love the music and the concept of the game, I had a hard time even playing it because of graphical issues. With V-sync turned on the whole screen seems to "move" and caused me motion sickness very quickly (something ISuper Hexagon can best be described as a twitch rhythm game where you dodge increasingly complex line patterns spawned off screen, flowing inward to your hexagon. While I love the music and the concept of the game, I had a hard time even playing it because of graphical issues. With V-sync turned on the whole screen seems to "move" and caused me motion sickness very quickly (something I don't have a problem with in any other game). With V-sync off there was constant screen tearing, sometimes occuring multiple times a second in multiple parts of the screen, which gave me headaches.

I think this game would be a great party game, something to pass the controller around while everyone takes their 10 sec-1 min turn attempting to pass a level. However I felt physically ill trying to play it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone considering I haven't had issues with motion sickness in a video game before.
  6. Aug 6, 2017
    I enjoy it, great time saver! Not much more to say about it, your a triangle that dodges incoming hexagons type lines. it's a relatively simplistic but fun game!
  7. Nov 1, 2015
    Rotate the environment in order not to hit the barriers. Nice background music. Nothing more. There is very, very little in this game, it can absorb you for a short time, depending when you get bored of dying continuously.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 4 Critic Reviews

1. Pelit (Finland)
    May 13, 2013
    Super Hexagon is not a game you'll play for months on end. It's not a significant step in the evolution of games as an art form. But damn if it isn't astounding that a game this simple can be such a joy to play! As a small-scale time waster it's pretty much perfect. [May 2013]
  2. Dec 27, 2012
    Fast, minimal and fun: Super Hexagon is the new Terry Cavanagh triumph.
  3. Dec 6, 2012
    A frenzied, elegant action game that pulses with great music and demanding thrills, for only £2/$3.