7.3

Mixed or average reviews- based on 1915 Ratings

1. Oct 26, 2019
    I would say decidedly average. I came into this game excited based on the initial 20min gameplay video thinking this would be on par with fallout writing. Coming from a respectful company who wouldn't be excited?

I gotta say though. That I got disillusioned pretty quick. There is a lack of overall art direction, interiors which could have had a more vivid inspired art style went with safe and functoinal. There's this weird mish-mash of different lifts from different video games.

Floating damage numbers from Borderlands? Check
    Robots/machines extolling virtues of a product in a Bioshock kind of way? Check
    Text selection almost exactly like Fallout (including the awful role-play tunnels of 1. Yea that sounds great 2. aw you shouldn't have! 3. Well, gee I dunno, I guess?

There's no option to be mean in some of the interactions! When you play the old fallout/crpg games, you could get in a whole lot of trouble over the things you said... in this one? You can almost spam any option and get to the end with no worries. It's too cookie cutter.

I gotta say the level pacing is too off kilter too. Getting a level isn't really a reward, it's more of a 'alright, more points time'.

I will say that I appreciated the setting and the premise for the story seemed promising, but I am having an awful time liking my companions and am not really feeling 'wowed' by the landscapes/graphics so far. It's a hard sell to continue! Makes me wish some of the good old crpgs came back but those were a product of their time/makers. Back when computer games were made mostly by the same demographic that played them. There's too much candy crap in this. I don't feel tough when I'm trying to defend someone's feelings in a video game and there's no real meat and potatoes to this.

I'd hate to give it a 5/10, I'd say 8/10 for overall premise but 5/10 for how I felt after a good amount of time in it. Meh.

In a 2019 game characters speaking with the visual quality of oblivion, or the weird janky art style that exists between
  2. Oct 27, 2019
    This is a strange one. It's different, not original, just different cause it's derivative of numerous other intellectual properties. It's clearly a Fallout 3/NV type of game, except instead of open world it's got hubs on various planets like in Jet Force Gemini, uh, I mean Mass Effect. The visual design takes some inspiration from Bioshock and No Man's Sky. A lookalike of Rick from Rick &This is a strange one. It's different, not original, just different cause it's derivative of numerous other intellectual properties. It's clearly a Fallout 3/NV type of game, except instead of open world it's got hubs on various planets like in Jet Force Gemini, uh, I mean Mass Effect. The visual design takes some inspiration from Bioshock and No Man's Sky. A lookalike of Rick from Rick & Morty is the first character we meet, and HAL 9000 is chilling in your ship. Obsidian makes it all come together due to a high level of polish and a determination not to take itself seriously.

This is a silly game. The story is about a cartoonishly evil yet wacky corporate dystopia in space where all the women look like boys. You can do basically anything with no consequences, which somewhat makes up for everything being very ugly and cluttered, so I don't even know what to say right now. It seems to have a shockingly adequate amount of stuff in it. It's barely an RPG yet there's lots of factions and dialogue. It hurt my eyes the first time I played but I'm ok now.
  3. Oct 27, 2019
    This is no where on par with New Vegas. It starts off setting up this detailed and immersive world, then just never delivers. I really wanted to love this game, but I couldn’t. World is bland and empty. You get the illusion of depth and content, but once you actually start exploring you realize there isn’t actually much there. Choices don’t actually matter. Companions are automaticallyThis is no where on par with New Vegas. It starts off setting up this detailed and immersive world, then just never delivers. I really wanted to love this game, but I couldn’t. World is bland and empty. You get the illusion of depth and content, but once you actually start exploring you realize there isn’t actually much there. Choices don’t actually matter. Companions are automatically loyal with little to no effort; this feels a bit forced. Armor and weapons look exactly the same except for the science weapons, which are a fun novelty for a few kills then get boring. The navigation map is a bit misleading. It looks like you have a slew of planets to explore but you don’t. They’re inaccessible. The “beating heart” of the colonies, Byzantine, feels empty and small. The story is way too short. I did almost every side quest, all of the companion quests, and am pretty sure I explored every building. I still got less than 25 hours play time. I don’t feel like I got something worth of 60$ at all. I’m still a bit shocked at how short it was. Suddenly I was on the last mission and I was so baffled. Graphics are okay to me. Decent. Voice acting is very good. Bugs are minimum. Very little technical problems, but the content is just completely lacking. Dialogue and in game messages can be pretty funny. Expand
  4. Oct 29, 2019
    This game is overrated. The main problem is the fact that it is extremely shallow. The world in which the game is set actually has a lot of potential but sadly most of that potential isn't realized very well. In the aspect of depth it doesn't match up well with games like Fallout NV. You can still have fun, especially if you like the overall setting, which I think is executed fairly well.This game is overrated. The main problem is the fact that it is extremely shallow. The world in which the game is set actually has a lot of potential but sadly most of that potential isn't realized very well. In the aspect of depth it doesn't match up well with games like Fallout NV. You can still have fun, especially if you like the overall setting, which I think is executed fairly well.

The people calling this a good RPG are in my honest opinion - delusional. As a game I can get away with calling it average, as an RPG however I have to say it is complete garbage. People who praise this as a good RPG must have never actually played RPGs beside heaps of burning trash like Fallout 76.
  5. Oct 27, 2019
    It is an interesting game. Starts out a bit clumsy but the middle parts were quite enjoyable. I felt at the end that I barely accomplished anything.

The writing and dialogs were great. Not too chatty, sometimes whaky and there was an option to my liking almost always. The companions were fun. Adding a face to the ship's computer was a great idea. The gunplay was okay, never felt

The gunplay was okay, never felt underpowered or overpowered as I played on the lowest difficulty for the story.

The game seems to generate a lot of guns, armor and helmets but I never cared for them much. One can "upgrade" existing items for a price. Also I never cared for the food and stim items (could be nice for a food build though).

There are choices, skill-based options but other than arranging an alliance between two settlements, one has to decide for one or the other side. I decided to talk most my way through.

The graphics was okay, but running with very high on my system frequently caused FPS drops at the bigger locations. Nothing devastating. The NPC faces were odd and felt very New Vegasy, even though the engines are completely different.

One disappointing thing was the price, €60 (which is quite steep considering exchange rates to my local currency) for a AA game from the Epic store with 20-25 hours of playtime. Were it like €45, no complaints.
  6. Oct 26, 2019
    Very, very average.
    Very, very average.
    The combat is mediocre and becomes very boring quite quickly. It's not really much of an RPG, it leans more heavily on being a shooter which is not good as the gun play is lackluster. All of the perks just give a percentage bonus and all of the non-combat skills just buff combat for some reason. The story is not very engaging. I wouldn't call this game bad, I just can't find anything to say about this game that stands out as good or great. It feels very dated and like something that would have come out early on for the PS4/XBONE, Wait for a sale if you really want to try it.
  7. Oct 26, 2019
    The Outer Worlds. I was expecting to live out my dreams pretending to be in Firefly. I ended up in SparkNat. I understand the appeal of this game for someone who is new to RPG's; but for the hardcore fan in will fall very short. Your skills are quick to develop, with little sense of achievement for hitting a Level goal (that you constantly seem to be ahead of anyway.) Combat that isThe Outer Worlds. I was expecting to live out my dreams pretending to be in Firefly. I ended up in SparkNat. I understand the appeal of this game for someone who is new to RPG's; but for the hardcore fan in will fall very short. Your skills are quick to develop, with little sense of achievement for hitting a Level goal (that you constantly seem to be ahead of anyway.) Combat that is painfUlly shallow, uncomfortable, and icelike, and a bloat of uninteresting dialogue. As well as dated graphics, and gameplay in general. There is definitely a good story in there. But it's buried under so much fluff, and out if place comedy. To the Skyrim fans out there, you'll love this. To people who are more partial to something like XCOM, or Kingdom Come Deliverance. You'll likely be very unimpressed with TOW Expand
  8. Oct 29, 2019
    Feels like a good Fallout 3d game. But it is too linear and just too short. Feels like you get rushed through the game halfway through.

Flow of the story feels like Dragon Age 2. Very linear but your companions regularly want you to revisit old places.

Paying 60$ for this game is too much. For the 1$ game pass it was a nice weekend distraction. But not the glorious comeback I expected
  9. Oct 26, 2019
    Disappointed. I will not be replaying this game, unlike similar games which I continue to go back to every so often.

The bads Its a good game but nowhere near what I thought it could have been. They have a beautiful world, they put lots of plants and other onjects into the game but dont do anything with them. 90% of the buildings you cant enter. Enemies are dumber than dirt, I have

The bads

Its a good game but nowhere near what I thought it could have been. They have a beautiful world, they put lots of plants and other onjects into the game but dont do anything with them. 90% of the buildings you cant enter. Enemies are dumber than dirt, I have this on the hardest setting and it was rough before I got my companion and a decent weapon but after that I stopped even using the slowmo abilty. Along with that when you are snipping enemies they will run after you and then stop halfway and run back, even when I am still shotting them they will run back to where they started. Was hoping this game was more Open World, once you realize that you are pretty much on a track its hard to get over. I have no problem with them park games, I actually use to prefer them but when you give the illusion that your game is Open World I want the game to be open world. Also the game is completely instanced which is just a slight disappointment ontop of everything.

The goods.

Now just because there is a lot of bads doesnt mean I dont enjoy the game. There are many things that I do enjoy. I enjoy that you can level up a single piece of gear the entire game to keep up with you, this is a great aspect of the game. I really enjoy this, I just dont understand the reason it cost bits and not armor and weapon parts, which you are breaking apart all the time if you care about that aspect anyway, but whatever. I love all the witty banter and team cohesiveness, companions actually seem to be decent in my opinion compared to other games I have played. I like the stat allocation part of the game which then go into just skills. Its an interesting way of doing things and it makes it easy, after you get skills to 50 it makes it kinda worse but its still not bad. The quests are short and fun, you dont even have to be on a quest to complete it which is nice, many games require being on a quest to pick up quest type items or information.

Honestly, I thought the good list was going to be much longer but I cant think of anything else I liked. The game had so much potential. Maybe with a few updates and DLCs it will be a complete game.
  10. Oct 27, 2019
    Amazing writing and story, plagued by a lack of game. It has to be said.

The good: -The story is incredible, the lore is fun to listen to and follow, I would have really loved to see more of it which is a big shame. -Mostly bug free, only had a few hiccups but nothing that caused me to CTD -Fun weapons, in my opinion the weapons are fun to use, sometimes feels a tad underpowered even
    Amazing writing and story, plagued by a lack of game. It has to be said.

The good:
    -Mostly bug free, only had a few hiccups but nothing that caused me to CTD
    -Fun weapons, in my opinion the weapons are fun to use, sometimes feels a tad underpowered even with upgrades.
    -Graphics are pretty good, turned to ultra, the environments feel "alive" and the towns feel detailed.

The Bad:
    -Role Play is meh, elaborating, it's too easy. You can just lie, persuade, and intimidate your way through the entire game. It feels like the game pushes you to be a "jack of all trades" and there's no pros, only cons, for building your character a specific way.
    -The perks are all boring, not to mention, when I completed the final quest, I was only level 29. Huge shame. I was incredibly disappointed to see that it was the final quest, and I felt like I wanted so much more to do. Compared to games that this is competing with, you are level 70 when you are nearing end game in the others. Level 20ish is supposed to be early game. Such a shame.
    -Armor is terrible, unmemorable. Nothing cool about them at all, some of them can't even take mods which is dumb.
    -Speaking of which, mods are also not that great, you can't stack them and the difference they make on guns is negligible.
    -The questing falls flat on it's face. If you pay attention, the main story line TECHNICALLY only has 4 long standing objectives. That's it. There's a few side quests I enjoyed, but some of them were also just basic fetch quests.
    -The game is just all around too short. The worlds feel way too small. There's no reason to return to them. Honestly if you really think about it. The main "meat" of the game is on Monarch. Terra 2 feels like a tutorial town. And was incredibly disappointed to find out that Monarch was "pretty much it". My advice, if you had about 5 or 6 Monarch sized planets, this game probably would have got bumped into 8/10. The length of this game is it's largest glaring problem and why it gets so many points taken off.

Overall: 5/10
    It pains me to say it, because I did in fact like the lore, I loved the characters, and I wish there were more adventures to go on, many more planets to visit, more towns to visit, and etc. If this game gives Obsidian the money to make a Outer Worlds 2, I hope they take what I, and many other "constructive critics" have been saying. Needs to be longer. Needs to be bigger. More things to do. Take this lore and expand upon it ten fold. But then again....kinda feels like a one off game. Storyline has a wrap up and everything, didn't really leave it very open ended at all. It's a big disappointment because you can see the potential in front of you, you can see that the game could have been something spectacular that would have shaken up the RPG realm. Unfortunately, we ended up with a miniature sized world, lack of leveling and RPG aspects, and some lackluster quest lines, but, with impeccable story telling and a lore that I just so dearly wish could have been more. :(
  11. Oct 25, 2019
    There's a lot of hype on here which is mostly hysterical excitement by the fact a game of this genre is actually trying to be an RPG again, which hasn't really happened since Obsidian's last effort in Fallout New Vegas. I am also excited by this but not so much that it'll blind me to the reality that it is a very mediocre game.

The pros: - Actual skills and perks that actually make a

The pros:
    - Actual skills and perks that actually make a difference to your conversations
    - Having charisma checks in conversation
    - Broad variety of weapons, armours, companions, enemies, and biomes.
    - Entertaining characters, with entertaining dialogue.
    - Doesn't take itself too seriously.
    - Is a complete game, not parts of a game gutted for DLC's sake.
    - Opening hour of the game is fantastic.

Cons:
    - Combat is uninspired, and weak. Gunplay is poor.
    - Choices don't actually matter, because you'll always end up in the same place everytime.
    - It tries a bit hard to be funny at times and misses the mark. Tries to be quirky for quirkiness' sake, rather than actually being legitimately quirky.
    - Not so much a con for me, but I can see people finding issue with it - it doesn't look like a game released in 2019. It'd have fared better in the early days of the PS4/Xbone generation.
    - It doesn't really do anything original, or standout.

I've rated it 7/10. It's still amusing but I expected more from Obsidian. Definitely worth a play at least.
  12. Oct 26, 2019
    Was hyped about this game, but... It's just not that engaging...
    Many are saying it's what new Fallout should be - no it shouldn't. I got a lot of fun with Fallout 4 right from the start. And with this game I have very mixed feelings.
    Graphics quality is tolerable for a AA game, but it's priced as a AAA, so I expect it to at least not stutter... Worth a try with an Xbox Game Pass, but
    Was hyped about this game, but... It's just not that engaging...
    Worth a try with an Xbox Game Pass, but definitely not for a full price.
  13. Oct 27, 2019
    A good writing and voice acting, not so good everything else.

A good writing and voice acting, not so good everything else.

Lets start by stating, that good writing doesn't make it a good game on its own for me, because game has so many more elements to it that add up to overall experience. I will also note, that there will be lots of references to Fallout games since these games have a lot on common and are very alike in many areas. Oh, and it's relatively bug free. I've had to reload only one quest.

Having that out of the way, lets start from good stuff, which is as I already said is just writing and its expression thru voice acting. It is very well done for the story as well for the character and voice acting is extremely good. The dialogues are well put together and there are so many options within them and ton of them are not quest related - you can talk about opinions, you can talk characters past, etc. It's just solid in every way and I don't think many people will be disappointed with the writing.

Now sadly, it's where the good thing end. I will start from least bad things and progress as different game aspects get worse and worse.

Role play is really bland for me. Sure you can shoot everyone you please and be done with that character, however - if you're solving matters in more civil ways - it all kinda falls apart because how easy is to pass all checks if you smartly place skill points and balance companions. You literally become god of all trades: lie - no problem, persuade - no problem, charm - no problem, use medical expertise - no problem, etc.. You pass the check for every single character trait and because of it, it doesn't feel like you are building a unique character and what's worse - with how the game and everything play out - game puts strong incentive to be all around character. For example, if you rush persuasion to 100, all you'll do is wasting skill points, because such high persuasion won't come into use until last parts of the game.

Then we have combat and gear. Armors and weapons are quite dull and boring for the most part. There is no excitement in finding basically anything. Then the gunplay is just barely okayish, shooting feedback and how guns sound are just mediocre at best and while time slow feels better and more interesting than VATS, rest of the gunplay is really worse than Fallout, especially worse than Fallout 4 - which is like 3 years old game by now. It's not the worst I've seen but definitely one of the worst in a game with 60€ price tag (I know you can get it on MS game pass, but the retail price is still 60€).

Now a bit about the quests. Some are great, most are good, but there are also typical fetch quests that lack any substance and any feeling of importance whatsoever and this is very disappointing honestly. It really does fill like filler content at times - it's like "oh, this area feels a bit empty in activities, lets throw in some generic quest to fill this gap" and this really distracts from otherwise great writing and good story progression.

Finally we a arrive at graphics and overall - it looks dated, very on budget and rather bland in general. Now the best in all of it are settlements, some look pretty good and the building interiors look alright. But boy, when you go outside into wilds (or how do I call it) - it's nearly dreadful. It literally feels like No Man's Sky - from terrain, thru vegetation to animals. Especially animals are so ridiculously bad, almost like those toys you people buy to swimming pool (funny looking purple reptile and similar nonsense). It's just bad and it gets even worse with the extreme color palettes - on one side it's very tiresome on your eyes because of extreme levels of saturation and on the other side it blends everything - especially humanoid enemies. And if that's not enough - with how mediocre and dated it looks from graphics perspective - it also has some severe performance issues - from certain areas heavily tanking your average fps by significant margins to occasional stutters on any hardware (even top end PCs) and in some rarer cases persistent micro-stutter.

Summing up - if you can ignore most of the game aspects quality and are able to focus purely on writing - go and buy it, but if you value all game aspects being on pretty good level - you may be very disappointed, because it's just not that good as some praise it to be. Also, I feel like this game lacks unique identity, because too many times it just feels way "too Fallout". 6/10 is top I can give and even that is pretty generous with all the critique I've put up.
  14. Oct 26, 2019
    This game isn't that good, and in terms of an RPG, it's rather lazy in it's delivery. Hacking just requires you to hold down a button, same as lock picking. If you juice up dialog skills you always get what you want. If you get caught stealing, you just say F off and the characters just accept that. Xray vision is always on and the A.I is average to bad.

The game is not bad, its just

The game is not bad, its just mediocre/average in every element. The fact that people are praising this game as great, says more about the current state of the games industry than the actual quality of this game. Gun play is average, A.I is average, the worlds are way to small (more like levels) and there is very little to explore, zero innovation, you can max out your character to be good at everything which defeats the purpose of it being an RPG, and the quests are boring generic fetch quest after fetch quests. It's 2019, can no one come up with any ideas to make missions in games more than go here, pick this up, bring back to me I am glad I only paid $1 for a one month xbox pass, as it's not worth $90.

Fallout New Vegas kills this by a long way, which is odd as New Vegas is over 9 years old. Get it on a cheap xbox sub, but don't pay AAA prices, it's not worth it.
  15. Oct 26, 2019
    Lackluster.

A good word to describe this game. It creates an amazing atmosphere and world but completely ruins it but using weak characters and not fully fleshing out other aspects of the game. Your choices dont really matter, and dont really effect much in reality. Theres only like 10-12 different guns you can actually use and only 3 different ammo types. The characters are
    Lackluster.

A good word to describe this game.

The characters are very uninteresting and i didn't care for a single one of them.

The atmosphere and the world building is great but its worthless if i dont like the people in it, or atleast find them interesting.

If you want a poorly executed Mass Effect / Fallout clone, this is it.

So much missed potential, its a shame.
  16. Oct 26, 2019
    We're gonna show you how to make a real scifi RPG, they said. It's going to be nothing like Bethesda games, they said. Yeah, okay, true dat, with all the looting-shooting, tired jokes, emotionless NPC faces, crap visuals (try to make a bad looking game with Unreal Engine, that's some real talent here) it feels like Borderlands. I don't get all the people who gave this a 10/10 just to stickWe're gonna show you how to make a real scifi RPG, they said. It's going to be nothing like Bethesda games, they said. Yeah, okay, true dat, with all the looting-shooting, tired jokes, emotionless NPC faces, crap visuals (try to make a bad looking game with Unreal Engine, that's some real talent here) it feels like Borderlands. I don't get all the people who gave this a 10/10 just to stick it to Bethesda, Bioware and the likes, trust me, it's not worth your time or money more than F76 or any other recent AAA scifi RPG f-up. Expand
  17. Oct 25, 2019
    In one word, average. The game is not bad, but it is definitely not great. There is nothing here that particularly stands out or attracts you by presenting something that is unique to itself. No, instead the graphics are average, the writing is average, the story, gameplay, atmosphere, sound, everything is just average. In an age where the old-school RPG genre is finding itself a littleIn one word, average. The game is not bad, but it is definitely not great. There is nothing here that particularly stands out or attracts you by presenting something that is unique to itself. No, instead the graphics are average, the writing is average, the story, gameplay, atmosphere, sound, everything is just average. In an age where the old-school RPG genre is finding itself a little barren, this game may very well seem like a beacon of hope, or a pillar of video game craftsmanship. Unfortunately, i do not find this to be the case.

My largest issue with the game, however, is not the graphics per se, but the art direction itself. The game does not try to adopt any sort of idiosyncratic look. It takes on the color palette and style of No Mans Sky. This issue is further exacerbated by the terribly lackluster character creator that has every character looking either generic or just ugly. This point made ever more salient by the fact that every female character looks like she manages a blog for a living. For example, there are 30 hairstyles, shared across both sexes, and only 2 of which are medium length, none of which extend past shoulder length, and all remaining 28 are either short or pulled up hairstyles. Yes, very progressive. Can't have objectification via long-hair or attractive people in a fantasy sci-fi video game.

Now, a game does not need good graphics to be good. I do not subscribe to this belief, but it must have some sense of style that does not seem to pander to the "woke" narratives that Western game developers fixated upon.

For you Xbox GamePass players, give it a try. It is an okay RPG that is reminiscent of what feels like a lost genre. For everyone else, I would not spend the $60 on the game.
  18. Oct 26, 2019
    While interesting at first the social dialogue 'save the people from the corporations' type thing gets a kind of tired after a while. Dialogue and writing is a bit too cute at times and there is no real choice only to use your special skills/traits for certain options. Listening to NPCs without a cancel button can get a bet tedious at times, although it is necessary because the game isWhile interesting at first the social dialogue 'save the people from the corporations' type thing gets a kind of tired after a while. Dialogue and writing is a bit too cute at times and there is no real choice only to use your special skills/traits for certain options. Listening to NPCs without a cancel button can get a bet tedious at times, although it is necessary because the game is essentially on rails. No really memorable characters, even the old guy I forgot the name of already. Combat kind of sucks, the open areas and monsters are a bit generic. The graphics have this awful haze-like quality like you're looking through a camera. I like the load screens (my favourite part is the load screens actually) and the opening cinematic is quite good. Not quite the Fallout alternative the Bethesda hate train will tell you it is. I'm glad we finally got this one out of the way. Enough of the hype! Expand
  19. Oct 25, 2019
    People are hyping it abit more than what it deserve.

People saying choices matter, it really don't. You will have around 3 choices in each interaction and all choices always ends up with the same outcome. Pretty much all quests are fetch quests. World is small and instanced and npcs static (they don't go on about their daily lives to create the illusion of a living world) If you
    People are hyping it abit more than what it deserve.

People saying choices matter, it really don't.

If you just focus on the mainstory it's around 10h long with sidequests/exploration to push it to around 20-25h max.

It's a 7/10 game from a small studio.
  20. Nov 11, 2019
    As a long-time fan of Obsidian (and Fallout) games, I came into this with very high hopes given the generally very positive reviews, including several glowing ones. Boy was I disappointed.

The game really drops the ball on several key components of a great RPG, and in the end, seems like it was rushed out about two years too early. The story is okay-ish; I'm not even bothered by the

The story is okay-ish; I'm not even bothered by the fact that "dystopian future run by corporations" is a bit of a cliche at this point. It's a big part of the zeitgeist of my generation and, let's face it, probably going to happen. The problem is that neither the overarching plot nor the side stories are developed at all. Several questlines that seem promising resolve themselves in one step by basically confronting somebody and deciding whether to kill them or not. Choices don't really seem to matter much; for example, you might pick one side over another on a certain planet, or reconcile them. But the planet doesn't change much either way, and in any event, there's no reason to ever go back to that planet to experience the "new" version, under new leadership etc. Part of the problem is that the game is less than 30 hours long, but still contains several major planets with numerous quests on each one. So each quest tends to be very short. They are also not interconnected in any meaningful or very satisfying way. The most involved quests are probably the companion quests, which basically involve planet- and fast-travel-point hopping to fetch this or that or talk to somebody, and your enjoyment of those will depend greatly on whether you like that companion.

The dialogue itself is kinda hit and miss, there are some clever and/or funny bits, but there are also some cringe-worthy lines that would never be spoken by a real human being. I may be being a bit harsh here, but again it seems disjointed and rushed, even if there is some good writing to be found in spots.

Another key RPG component is player progression, and the game misses pretty badly in this department. You never get new abilities (well, maybe with the exception of being able to hack robots, which I never used). Basically everything is a passive upgrade. I never felt more powerful on level-up; it's more like bumping up the numbers to be able to pass more skill checks. Never felt like I needed to just get two more levels for some sweet, fun ability. Boring. Also, you can basically put plenty of points into everything, unless you want to be great at both melee and ranged weapons (I went ranged).

In a similar vein, there are no classes and very few possibilities for different builds. I went conversation-and-tech-skill heavy and still had plenty of points to put into guns. I could do a second run as melee bu that would be the only substantial difference, and the thought of doing the whole game as only melee is...not enticing. You would think there might be a stealthy build, but not really. Someone else might have a different experience, but the levels are just not designed like Deus Ex or Dishonored, with vents you can crawl through or alarms or traps you can shut off. Although I didn't try particularly hard to be stealthy, after a few failed attempts, it really seemed like the game was designed with "guns blazing" in mind. As a result, replayability is very low, unless you wanted to do something like a "kill literally everyone" run.

Combat is ok, in the exact same way that combat from Fallout 3, 4 and New Vegas is ok. The shooting is not as good as a true shooter, nor does it allow you to use and customize extra abilities like, for example, Mass Effect.

Crafting and itemization is also only ok. On the plus side, you can change the damage type of any weapon you find, which makes for some nice freedom and interesting combinations. There are also a good number of weapon types, and most seem effective. However, most of the other crafting you can do just makes the weapons or armor slightly better. Also, you have access to almost every weapon type very early, and then later you just get "Shotgun 2" or "Assault Rifle 2."

Finally, while I liked the art design, the graphics are very dated from a technical standpoint. Like 2011 kind of dated. Something like Borderlands 3 gets away with that (also on the Unreal Engine) by going full out cartoony, but Outer Worlds still tries to look semi-realistic. Notably, fabrics on characters' clothing look great in conversation closeups, but environments look very 2011.

Anyhow, while the game is decent enough for a single run through, especially if you go in with low expectations, nearly every aspect of the game seems half-baked and could have used a LOT more time in development. It's like they took the skeleton of a game that should have covered 90 hours and tried to fill it with 30 hours worth of content.
  21. Nov 7, 2019
    I already knew it would have been a small project, not a very long main quest line, not a lot of content in general... Ok, I am fine with that. The real problem (at least for me) is its core gameplay : in just one word, BORING. I was expecting instead more creativity and fun mechanics to play around, but no. Basically you can just slow down time and that's it. And it's not even that usefulI already knew it would have been a small project, not a very long main quest line, not a lot of content in general... Ok, I am fine with that. The real problem (at least for me) is its core gameplay : in just one word, BORING. I was expecting instead more creativity and fun mechanics to play around, but no. Basically you can just slow down time and that's it. And it's not even that useful either.
    I appreciate restriction based on a level cap, but I am not really impressed with quality and quantity of the perks system. To cut it short, there is not enough variety to me for justifying making another character, so it falls short of the definition of being an RPG.
    Yes there are a lot of beautifully written scripts and conversations.
    Yes there is a lot of stuff to loot around.
    BUT I still couldn't bring myself to play for more than 5 or 6 hours because the game it's just super boring.
    Come on Obsidian, you can do way better than this.
  22. Jan 18, 2020
    TL;DR - A refreshing game in a while considering I'm not really someone who enjoys playing Open World Heavy RPG games. The Witcher 3 was the last RPG game I completed and even though the writing and mission flow never really reached that level of depth; there are some really good beats sprinkled throughout.
    Strong start, a meandering mid and a slight let down for an ending The Outer
    Strong start, a meandering mid and a slight let down for an ending The Outer Worlds manages to be a competent game that is a good experience but would be an excellent one if you can get it during a sale. The endless replay-ablility of the game including all the difficulty levels and multiple ways to go about the missions almost makes it worth full price.

The Good
    Art Style was really interesting, beautiful sky-boxes littered through out do a good job making you feel you are in the far flung parts of the Universe. My favorite part of the game's writing was the Companion Story Lines, I finished the game with just 4 Companions but every story-line succeeded in making me feel for them as a part of my crew.
    Gun-play/Mechanics was decently varied with light RPG elements, this kept me going through with relative ease and enjoyment at Normal difficulty with only a few deaths in early stages and one or two near the end; altogether a very breezy and fun play-through. One of the least-glitchy games I have played in a while and I really appreciated it, aside from a few small ones the game was smooth. Mission Flow could have used a little more attention and polish but still do a good job of interlinking the Main Plot with smaller side jobs effectively negating that feeling of stopping the flow of the story to do a side mission.

The Bad
    Sadly a lot of small things here and there start building up, the perk system, two limit companion on missions, the weird skill point system managing to be confusing as well as overly simple at the same time, enemy variety, melee game mechanics; all these things and then some could have used quite a bit of polish and finesse .
    Even though the Main Story line on paper seems like you are changing the fate of your Star System playing through does not really feel like it, it lacks a sense of enormity and weight of your gameplay decisions.
    A meandering middle section of the story where the pacing seems to slow down but then all of a sudden you realize that you are actually near the end. The final few missions were a little bit of a let down. I was so sure that there was some major twist coming in the story since the story really stays a little bland and simple throughout, this could also be because of The Witcher 3 and the intricacies and excellence of the Story/Mission flow has probably ruined other games for me.

A good competent game nonetheless despite all of it's middle of the road choices.
  23. Jan 6, 2020
    Очень быстро приедается из за "рельс" по которым приходится бегать между заданиями.
  24. Feb 12, 2020
    Скучно, вторично, безвкусно. Изо всех сил пытался получить положительные эмоции, но не смог, хоть и поначалу были какие-то надежды. Это не уровень Obsidian, это проходной продукт с целью заработать денег под брендом Obsidian. Больше говорить не о чем.Скучно, вторично, безвкусно. Изо всех сил пытался получить положительные эмоции, но не смог, хоть и поначалу были какие-то надежды. Это не уровень Obsidian, это проходной продукт с целью заработать денег под брендом Obsidian. Больше говорить не о чем.
  25. Jan 26, 2020
    Nista posebno cak na trenutke izuzetno dosadno. Kraj je uzas Bozji bukvalno oruzjan nisu orginalna ni najmanje itd. uglv nikad vise
  26. Apr 18, 2020
    This game is pretty good, but to me, it is a bit over-hyped.

--Some things I like about the game are-- Has a good dialog system (How a dialog system SHOULD be) Has very decent graphics and cool things to check out and see Time dilation mechanic is awesome. Has a good level and perk system, although a bit LESS customizable then i'd like --Some things I don't like about the game
    This game is pretty good, but to me, it is a bit over-hyped.

--Some things I like about the game are--
    Has a good dialog system (How a dialog system SHOULD be)
    Has very decent graphics and cool things to check out and see
    Time dilation mechanic is awesome.

--Some things I don't like about the game are--
    Kind of trying to be like Boarderlands a bit too much.
    The enemies are SO dumb, is almost not even fun battling them.
    A lot of the women in the game are trying way too hard to be men.
    Pretty simple and linear quests.
    Npc's are a bit bland, and the voice acting is sub par.
    Feels like they were going for a little kid demographic.
  27. May 21, 2020
    I was really excited about this game, as Fallout New Vegas and KOTOR 2, both from Obsidian, are two of my all-time favorite games. And boy was I disappointed! It is a poor imitation of New Vegas, in space. In bullet points:
    - The inventory system is horrible. Midway through the game I stopped swapping the weapons and armor of my character and those of the NPCs and I stopped opening any containers for loot. Also, every nook and corner in the game is full of loot containers, it is crazy.

- The story is bland. You can still get a taste of the good writing Obsidian is known for, but the overall story so uninteresting and your protagonist is so lacking in background that you simply don't care. The NPCs were also mostly one-dimensional caricatures: the sweet, insecure engineer, the drunk boisterous hunter, the swashbuckler doctor and so on. There wasn't a single piece of dialog with them that interested me. Compare this to the NPC interaction on KOTOR 2 for instance.

- The combat is in a CRPG for me very secondary, however I still found it extremely tedious here. You keep on fighting three types of enemies, they all have similar tactics, you only click the left mouse button....

- The gameworld (physical interiors and exteriors plus politics, belief system etc.) is very shallow. Except for some colorful exteriors all of the graphics seemed to be copied from KOTOR. The socioeconomic and political structure is one-dimensional. All your decisions as the protagonist fall somewhere within this single dimension.

- The abilities you and the NPCs obtain are, in my opinion, pretty much irrelevant to gameplay. I spent some points on speech skills early on, afterwards starting distributed them randomly. The perks are basically useless. I never used a single companion ability.

Overall, Obsidian simply repeated itself instead of coming with some innovative and new concepts, regarding storytelling, game design, role playing, player advancement etc. It is a pity that in 15 years they did not move the bar one bit.
  28. Jun 6, 2020
    An interesting idea, gameplay, but a terrible and very short story, unfortunately 6.
  29. Nov 5, 2019
    The first world was interesting, the RPG stat systems robust, companion stories written with care, and enough mystery to keep me intrigued. However, what you're going to read here is that there was a TON of things in this game that became increasingly more annoying the longer I played.

The camera. This was the very first thing that I didn't think was a big deal at first bothered me more and more the farther along I progressed through the game. What was the point of all the gear I upgraded and looted if I can't admire how badass my character looks (Even if the same armor models are reused/reskinned a ton)? That's kind of part of the whole RPG experience. The decision to exclude a third person camera is puzzling.

Character models. Again, at first I thought this wouldn't be a big deal, but it bothered me more and more as I progressed through the game. The lip synching is near non-existent, the character animations are stiff and unrealistic, and for the life of me I can't bring myself to ever like the appearance of anything I've made through the character creator. And it's not for a lack of trying, I spent hours trying to make my ideal character before just giving up and settling for my best effort. Which to my dismay was meaningless, because THERE'S NO THIRD PERSON CAMERA. At no point did I ever get to have a glimpse of my character that I spent so much time creating. Even FO4 got this part right, and their character models were BARELY acceptable then (Which was FOUR YEARS AGO)

The loot. Every weapon was decently cool the first time around, until I realized that I was basically reusing the same weapon and armor models throughout the entire game. Progression through numbers and not appearance is wholly dissatisfying to me, especially when I got to the point that the gear I was using was better than everything I looted, which made me wonder if there was any freaking point. You get a bunch of crap that is just fodder for breaking down and repairing your vastly superior weapon, I could barely bring myself to spend any time scouring every nook and cranny for loot at the end.

The dialogue. Oh my god, the dialogue. At the beginning I was taking my time reading through everything with hopes that I would be immersing myself in the lore of the world, but jesus christ I felt like I was spending more time reading through pointless dialogue than actually playing the damn game. It doesn't help that it feels like the lore building of this game seems like it was more of a proof of concept for a starting point where things would be expanded later. I found myself skipped most of the dialogue in the later half of the game simply because most of it wasn't actually telling me anything useful.

Sound design. Primarily with the weapons. This is a little bit of a nitpick here, but again, it bothered me more and more as I progressed through the game. My weapon category of choice was long guns, mainly an assault rifle and deadeye assault rifle. It's not as noticeable with the single shot weapons, but fully automatic weapons sound like the audio of the weapon runs completely independent of the animation of the gun itself. Even when firing off single shots by tapping the trigger, it sounds like it's just about to fire that second shot before abruptly cutting off. This made my fully automatic weapons feel like they had absolutely no weight to them.

World design. Outside of the predetermined waypoints given to you by the game, there is literally zero reason to explore. The world has NO STORY to tell you outside of what it guides you through, which makes exploring entirely pointless. Even with the smaller maps, the worlds feel bland and empty.

No new game plus, no post main story content. After finishing the main story, I'm at a complete loss of words for this one. Pretty much EVERY RPG that has come out in the last year has had SOMETHING to keep you playing after you completed the game. This game has absolutely nothing, and since the dialogue system was such a slog on the first playthrough that I'm really not interested in doing it all over again, even with the different choices I know I could have made.

While the game is mostly solid with a few bugs here and there, it still feels like a half-baked product that could have used another year or so of development for a larger quantity of content before release. As it stands right now, my $60 feels wasted; not that I hated the story, I think the writing was mostly pretty good. It's just pretty much everything else in the game got old really fast, and there simply isn't enough content to garner my interest for another playthrough.
  30. Nov 5, 2019
    Assuming I don't like arrogance, I found the entire Outer Worlds marketing campaign a little too over the top, in a negative sense.
    This is not an heir to the old Fallouts, it doesn't come close to New Vegas or even the third. The fourth really amused me more.
    I was bothered by many things in the game, first of all the fact that I find the whole design is anonymous, flat, boring. The game didn't make me fall in love with the characters or even the setting. It almost seems that they have built an action fps rpg on the lines of a classic rpg but forgetting that a rpg in the first person needs one thing: the immersion and beyond the roleplay you can do in the dialogues is not present this factor.
    I don't even want to talk about the shooting which is horrible but I wanted to dwell on the tedious and lazy character editor:

15 face preset with ugly face and perhaps the worst choice for hair, which really looks like plastic (like the rest of the game, by the way). I wasn't even able to make a character that I liked! Also 15 presets for all the npc of the game.

The plot? I don't really care and it didn't excite me

is a real step backwards for Obsidian (I loved Pillars of eternity saga 1-2 and especially Fallout: New Vegas).
     I hope for a better future sequel thanks to the acquisition of Microsoft

Final comment: thank goodness there are the mod
  31. Nov 4, 2019
    Just thought I would give my two cents. In a nut shell, Meh!. I really had high hopes for this game but honestly, it didn't really stand out. It was a good game, but nothing that made it stand out as a great game. As for the game itself, it was polished and well made. I ran into no bugs or crashes or anything like that.

Obsidian seemed to rest in their laurels and stick the familiar

Obsidian seemed to rest in their laurels and stick the familiar instead of taking chances. This game has so much potential that they just let slip by. The leveling wasn't anything that excited you (after the first few levels). The skills were standard and the perks didn't really seem to make a difference in overall game play. So, after a few levels it was more a chore than a gift to level. I even found myself continuing to play on well after gaining a level and not bothering to go in and assign my skills/perks..

The weapons and armor are sparse, no real variety, no real "uniqueness". Likewise, the "special" weapons were far and few between and again, didn't really offer anything unique. Overall, I ended up picking a weapon I liked and just kept Tinkering it up (you see if you play the game). Likewise with weapon/armor mods. No real variety. The same mods applied to the same armor whether it was Heavy, Medium or Light armor.

Dialog and characters were pretty much standard and derivative. Again, forgettable for the most part. And I developed no real attachments to Companions. They were alright, but nothing special. In the end, they were mostly there to draw aggro for me.

The world was well done, but too similar between different planets/locations. And, just for the record, this isn't an open world game in the sense as say the later Fallout games. It's zones/maps (which makes sense as it's built on the Unreal engine) and a handful of planets/locations, which are the size you would expect for an Unreal Engine game.

And short! I finished the game in like 20 hours (on normal). I was kind of shocked when I reached a point in the game and was like "wait, this is the end battle already?". It came up quick. Now that said, I didn't complete every little side quest, but I did complete the companion quests and a bunch of the side quests in addition to the main quest. Also, I see nor real replay-ability in this game as well.

My verdict, wait until it goes on sale, or, if you have an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription (like I do) you can play it on Xbox or PC (I played it on PC) without buying it, per se. I'm glad I did play it on Game Pass instead of buying it outright on Steam (like I originally planned to) because that would have capped off my disappointment of this game.
  32. Nov 5, 2019
    I've now completed the game and the best way to summarize it is: competent, yet average.

After the hype surrounding the comparisons between Bethesda/Obsidian, I was hoping that The Outer Worlds would be healthy competition in the open-world RPG landscape. Unfortunately, this was not to be. Pros: +Looks stunning on the PC +Adequately polished game play (and seemingly bug free)

Pros:
    +Looks stunning on the PC
    +Adequately polished game play (and seemingly bug free)
    +Passable story-line
    +Humorous dialogue and good voice acting

Cons:
    -Lackluster characters and development of said characters
    -The end of the story seemed to be a huge afterthought (rushed)
    -Variety of enemies and NPC are limited/bland
    -Uninteresting weapons variety
    -There are consequential actions, but these actions mostly don't effect the environments/towns.
    -Not open world

I'd say it's worth a play through, just don't expect anything groundbreaking.
  33. Nov 25, 2019
    Writing in general is fine and you kinda have freedom of choice, but there is no spice in dialogues. Everything feels too safe. Sexual stuff is a no-no, everyone's too polite and conserved. It's filled with strong females, guys here almost always either corrupt or dumb or gay. SJW agenda all over the place. No shockers, no surprices. The only surprice is how unintresting the game isWriting in general is fine and you kinda have freedom of choice, but there is no spice in dialogues. Everything feels too safe. Sexual stuff is a no-no, everyone's too polite and conserved. It's filled with strong females, guys here almost always either corrupt or dumb or gay. SJW agenda all over the place. No shockers, no surprices. The only surprice is how unintresting the game is considering such high praise and scores. It feels like creators were beeing overly cautious about what they say and what they show, and that's boring. Sometimes art should be provocative and uncomfortable. Expand
  34. Nov 15, 2019
    Honestly, it's boring. I was a big fan of Fallout 3 back in the day, less so Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4, Fallout 76 didn't interest me. I jumped into this expecting a better version of FNV and I guess that's what this is, but the thing is - this game plays exactly like a game from 2008.

The combat is boring, enemy AI is as simple as see enemy>run towards in most direct route>attack. The AI perception is god-awful. I was sprinting around in full heavy gear and I could walk right up within 15 feet of an enemy without stealthing as long as they were facing the other way. Gun mechanics are bland and most combats are ended quickly with good aim, usually within seconds.

The NPCs are bland and boring, they simply stand around and wait for you to interact with them, completely ruining immersion. It's like something out of Morrowind!

The soundtrack is also boring, you'll basically be hearing long, slow drones repeating in the background constantly.

The story so far is uninteresting, I find myself avoiding interaction with NPCs in favour of wandering the wilderness and seeking out combat and loot. I was able to skip a portion of it by travelling a "dangerous" planet by foot to the other side, at least that was fun - finding loot 10 levels above my own.

Everything in this game feels like it was designed to be "safe" and to not take any risks. In other words, not to deviate from FNV in any significant way.

I got this game via game pass, but if I paid full retail for this game I would be mad. It's worth trying on game pass since it's so cheap but I cannot explicitly recommend it.
  35. Nov 5, 2019
    This is not the game you probably anticipate if you played previous Obsidian games. It's not bad, but it's not good either - it fails to meet the high bar previous games have set, it's short with uninspired locations, subpar characters and absolutely no discovery. There aren't any good looting mechanics either, there aren't any challenge and the quest lines are somewhat average in writingThis is not the game you probably anticipate if you played previous Obsidian games. It's not bad, but it's not good either - it fails to meet the high bar previous games have set, it's short with uninspired locations, subpar characters and absolutely no discovery. There aren't any good looting mechanics either, there aren't any challenge and the quest lines are somewhat average in writing quality.

The saving grace of this game is a very good menagerie of options in the quest lines, and some-what successful world-building.

It's biggest sin is removing all wonder you feel when exploring, providing you with absolutely linear experience.

The inevitable DLCs may make this game better, but as it is right now it's painfully average.
  36. Nov 2, 2019
    This is a game that seems to want to be a combination of Borderlands, Fallout, and old-school Obsidian RPG. It's fine. It's not amazing. There's nothing particularly bad about the game, but there's also almost nothing particularly great. The overall story is decent, though not terribly good. The characters are cliche and interesting, when they're not outright annoying. The one bright spotThis is a game that seems to want to be a combination of Borderlands, Fallout, and old-school Obsidian RPG. It's fine. It's not amazing. There's nothing particularly bad about the game, but there's also almost nothing particularly great. The overall story is decent, though not terribly good. The characters are cliche and interesting, when they're not outright annoying. The one bright spot is the brilliant voice acting, which should come as no surprise with the likes of Ashly Burch on the roster. The decisions made during the game don't feel all that impactful, aside from epilogue at the end of the game.

The aesthetic of the game overall seems a bit lost and confused. It looks like it wants to be Borderlands, but it lacks any real direction or cohesion, and struggles to really find its own identity anywhere. The character models are simultaneously good and awful. Good, in the customization options and attention to detail, but awful in how stiff their animations often appear, and even worse in color options. Everything is dark, and limited to a very narrow range of appearances.

For game mechanics, the gunplay feels good. Everything else is bland and uninteresting. Want to hack or pick something? Just walk up and hit a button. The perks are uninteresting and very poorly balanced; some are obviously and massively superior to others, but most seem so insignificant they hardly seem worth the time even assigning points. Consumables are nearly meaningless across the board, at least on normal difficulty. I never needed to buy ammo (I ended up accumulating almost 7,000 heavy rounds, despite consistently using an assault rifle for nearly half the game), never needed to dismantle guns for repair parts, and never needed any kind of buffs. I just kept tossing all my health consumables in a box on the ship, (including basic healing adrenos) just to reduce my carry weight. The equipment upgrade system is uninspired where it is not outright annoying.

The weapon selection is beyond terrible. People complained about lack of selection in FO4, but that game had vastly more useful weapons than this one does. Science weapons, which could have helped here, are vastly underpowered by the end of the game compared to anything else, and by the end the only guns that are really worth using are the top tier assault rifle, light machine gun, and shotgun. Everything else is vastly inferior in damage. And to make things even worse, of the limited selection that exists, many are just version 2 of a previous lower-level weapon.

Perhaps the biggest reality check for me was about halfway through the game when I realized I really didn't care about any of the characters and wanted it to just be over.

Overall, this is a fine game, but IMO not at all worth $60. If it had a retail price of $30, it would feel a lot more compelling. Even then, I would've wanted to buy it at a pretty steep discount myself. Thankfully, I hadn't yet used my $1 xbox pass on my PC, so I used that to play through this game in a few days. That was sufficient for me, as I have no compulsion to replay the game. I'd rather just go back and play through FO4 again.
  37. Nov 6, 2019
    A solid basis for a game that is let down by absolutely ham fisted writing without a hint of subtlety.

There are no nuanced choices. Either you choose the moral option or you take the most absolutely evil route possible (for no reason at all). In previous Fallout games you often had to make the choice between the lesser of two evils, you had to weigh quest rewards and the ease of completing a quest against the consequences of your actions. Now you just say "save everyone because I'm nice" or "Murder all the children because I am evil". No reason for either other than that the option is there.

This game is trying too hard to be Borderlands. There is no tension or immersion because everything is painfully self aware and ironic. An RPG where you don't care what happens because nobody seems like a real character. Just a stereotype of one.

If you want borderlands with some more dialogue, go for this. If you're expecting Fallout among the stars you will be disappointed.
  38. Nov 7, 2019
    Games looks polished, has not bugs. and no micro-transactions. But the gameplay and the story its just...not good.
  39. Oct 31, 2019
    Average game, nothing really special. I had a lot of hype before playing but after finishing it .. im kind of dissapointed.

Good points> -Dr Welles main character of the history is very charismatic -The initial cinematic -The lore of the corportations Bad Points> -Graphics: I'm not very picky with graphics in games but jesuchrist.. this game looks worst than Oblivion. And art

Good points>
    -Dr Welles main character of the history is very charismatic
    -The initial cinematic
    -The lore of the corportations

Bad Points>
    -Graphics: I'm not very picky with graphics in games but jesuchrist.. this game looks worst than Oblivion. And art direction is kind of a disaster, lot of shiny colours everywhere but there is no one landscape you will stop to watch because of their beauty.
    -Lazy level design, bullets everywhere even in places it makes no sense.
    -Lazy item design: all items are all the same with very little different options to customize
    -Lazy character design & skill tree
    -Duration, very short. When you finish it is like.. what? this is just starting and.. it finished?
    -Companions has little charisma..not interesting enough and no romance options.
    -Final boss battle is a joke..literally 2 seconds and its over.
    -No improvements for your ship.. only cosmetic items that you cant even choose where to place it.

Dissapointed...
  40. Nov 6, 2019
    To start of positively, The Outer Worlds has an interesting setting and story, with several likable and intriguing characters, and some arguably tough choices to make. In comparison to Fallout 4, the game provides much more room for actual role playing.

But the game is first and foremost a first person shooter game, and it's disappointing how weak the gun play feels. In the modern Fallout games, you start out pretty weak, having to rely on sneaking, careful planning, and trial and error to survive the combat in the game.

In this game, being a sneaky sniper, picking out enemies one by one (my preferred way to play) really doesn't feel like an option. You either sneak and talk your way past, or go in guns blazing. The combat never feels tough in a rewarding way, and because the enemies are just bullet sponges, it just tedious after a while. This might not be a game as focused on survival as the Fallout games, but I felt the game was weaker because of it, and a bit too easy on hard difficulty.

The perks in this game also feel pretty useless. They have some impact of course, but I never looked forward to the perks, it was more of a headscratcher to pick which one of the bad perks should I pick now, because I don't strongly wish for any of them. There's also a "fault" system in the game, where you can choose to accept a negative trait relating to your current situation in the game, in order to pick a perk. The trade-off is almost always so horrible, that there is no point in accepting the fault.

Because of not having to actually avoid head-on combat because of your weakness, and virtually zero useful or exiting perks, the game doesn't really give you a sense of progression. It feels more exactly like you strive to get bigger numbers for your damage output to kill enemies with big numbers for health bars quicker.

The third act of the game is very brief and ends abruptly, so it feels pretty rushed and unsatisfying. When I gave the game credit for allowing for tough choices, there's still really only two main endings to the game. There's the good ending and the bad one, so it's ultimately very black and white. The choices for the main storyline felt like they had their strengths and weaknesses, and it's sad that impact of the big choices had little nuance.

I see plenty of potential in the game though, and I have a feeling it could've been much better with a bigger team on it. It's not perfect, but worth playing with the XBOX game pass, maybe I'd buy it for 20$ on steam. Full price is definitely not worth it, there's not enough content nor quality to justify it.
  41. Nov 17, 2019
    Not a bad game but boring. A lot of dialogs and repetitive environments. Thanks is for free in game pass
  42. Nov 2, 2019
    Overhyped, boring, shallow and uninteresting. I absolutely loved Fallout new vegas, this is nothing like it. It has very little depth, only 20ish hours of gameplay and none of the magic from new vegas. The gunplay is truly meh, the skills incredibly uniteresting, NPCs all have completly dead eyes and very little personality.

The game feels empty, cities have very few places to go, no

The game feels empty, cities have very few places to go, no interesting charachters or laughs along the way as in new vegas or other fallout titles.

It's honestly a letdown and i had to force myself to push through to the end.
  43. Nov 4, 2019
    Hyped as the spiritual successor to Fallout New Vegas yet no where near as interesting or compelling, Outer Worlds fails to deliver an engaging story or memorable characters. The game's character progression and companion systems ultimately make trying to create a unique build or adhering to a certain play style a futile experience.

Visually, the game looks good and performs well but

Visually, the game looks good and performs well but the writing and dialogue of the characters is simply awful. It all feels like a western themed reject episode from Futurama. Attempts at 'quirky' humor fall flat and only irritate. There is incredibly little variety in NPC faces and hairstyle. Many NPCs have brightly colored hair (blues, greens, purples, etc) to mask the lack of varying hairstyles.

Outer Worlds is not a open world game and is instead hub based. You can travel to different planets/stations in a single solar system. Some locations have more than one area to visit. Locations have incredibly small open world areas. To say you explore them would be a stretch. Most quests are fetch quests or 'do this one favor first' quests before the story advances further. This gets old fast.

At first, character creation at first appears decent. You choose a couple attributes to boost (strength, intelligence, etc). Then you choose skills to specialize in. So far, similar to past Fallout games. Where it's different is that skills are groups into categories based on which attribute governs them. Each level up you invest points into these categories boosting every skill in that category. Companions provide bonuses to certain skills. One might boost engineering, another hacking, a third speech, etc. By focusing your level up points on 2 - 3 categories you can fill in the rest with the two companions you can choose to bring with you. This effectively makes you able to do everything at least moderately well enough to never feel like your choices are restricted or never feel like you're making a difficult meaningful decision. A side effect of this is going into the game with a build or play style in mind and then never needing to adhere to it because companions are filling in the gaps for you.

Only good things about the game are the sometimes multiple ways to solve certain quests and the combat being basically the same as prior Fallout games. Game is the definition of mediocrity. Nothing leaves a lasting impression because it's bogged down by crappy character progression and bad writing.
  44. Nov 3, 2019
    Was terribly excited when I saw Obsidian doing their own fallout-esq open world game. After spending a considerable amount of time with it, I am pretty disappointed.
    * It's not really open world to me, it's a handful of semi-well crafted zones that are incredibly small by comparison to even their last epic adventure in fallout new vegas. Independent exploration is not going to be at the forefront of this game and the furniture/backgrounds are rehashed a lot.
    * The quests (probably the most important) are pretty lackluster, there are a few that are interesting in the choices/outcomes presented (although cliche's abound), but most are glorified fetch quests with minimal substance, and what it does have is often presented in the form of reading snippets of logs strewn about after the real excitement went down.
    * The companions so far have not grabbed my interest either after having found all but one. I've done some portions of their personal quests, and while they have some flavor, it's to be seen if they do more than change some dialog at the endgame. I also find it surprising that despite some progressive approaches taken with their quests, they excluded main character romances entirely. I can see no reason to have done so aside from a minimalist approach which doesn't do much for game immersion.
    * The combat is incredibly easy. I wish I started the game on the maximum which is only available if you start with it and not change it (IE dumb). Like many I assume, i started at the normal setting, and up'd it to hard almost immediately to still be met with no challenge.
    * The equipment while providing for some customization is awkward. Named weapons, usually better starting than their counterparts, are not customizable or are considered already so and regardless will all need leveling with bits (money sink) to keep them competitive until they become too much so as the costs get much higher with each upgrade. Requiring replacement as the game goes on.
    * The skill system took a page from fallout 4's dumbing down of skill systems. While you have skills and perks. The skill points you get you put into a field that improves an entire set of related skills, while this seems intuitive, it means you never really have to make a choice about what you want to be good at. You can just be good at everything really. I almost never met a skill check I couldn't pass. Need to make the right choice to bypass some "dangerous" areas ? Nah, do what you want. You could murder everything, turn off the robots at a console requiring a low skill check, or sneak past them with ready made air vents everywhere. The choice of approach is nice, the lack of difficulty is not.
    * The world they craft is pretty standard stuff as far as corporate dystopia's go. One of the few standouts in the game is the voice acting. The brainwashed drones in the game really sell their jingles and the ones looking to fight the man sound convincing. The character models as usual are rehashed though with minimal changes of hairstyle and melted facial expressions. Pretty much the same can be said of the armor and outfits. Combined with the minimal map sizes it falls short in immersion.
    * The skinny is it appears to be a budget open world game with poor execution that will not be remembered alongside the epics it hoped to emulate.
  45. Nov 5, 2019
    I can't really understand the hype about this game, it is at max mediocre. The dialogue system and the different quest resolutions are great, they are, but the rest is just a 1:1 copy of Borderlands 2. Nearly everything regarding the actual gameplay is directly stolen from Borderlands. The elemental weapons and effects (including the barrels that explode), map design (including the lazyI can't really understand the hype about this game, it is at max mediocre. The dialogue system and the different quest resolutions are great, they are, but the rest is just a 1:1 copy of Borderlands 2. Nearly everything regarding the actual gameplay is directly stolen from Borderlands. The elemental weapons and effects (including the barrels that explode), map design (including the lazy and repeating positioning of packs of enemies), loot distribution (meaningless ammo boxes are EVERYWHERE), enemy types (Primals are Bullymongs, those dogs are Scags, etc.). Tjose things are okay for apure FPS from 2014 (i LOVE B2), but are completely improper for a "RPG" that wants to be the new Fallout.

Additionally, the game is way to easy and way to short. 22 hours of gameplay (and i'm a kind of completionist) for 60 Euros is abysmal, especially when the replay value comapred to e.g. Fallout 4 is way lower due to the lack of really distinctive builds (doesn't matter for 70% of the game if you are using long guns, heavy weapons or pistols/revolvers).

If this is the savior of RPG gaming i don't want to be saved. I mean, it is ok to be low budget, but you don't have to see and feel this in every minute of the game (even though there are not many of those minutes to play). The game is not bad, but nowhere near as good as most of the people are making it, typical hypetrain. It is a snack for people who love a short action-RPG, and should be handled as one.
  46. Nov 8, 2019
    Coming from such a respectful company it's sure to get a lot of 10's just from the anti-Bethesda crowd. I too love old Fallout games (especialy 2) and I despise what Bethesda did with the series.

And yet, when playing Outer Worlds I couldn't help but think that I'd rather be playing Fallout 4 instead. Can't believe I just wrote that, I hated that game, but here we are. Outer Worlds ain't a bad RPG by any means - It's one of the most solid RPGs out there. The problem is that nothing, absolutely nothing about it feels exceptional, in the end making the game feel like a chore. Even the writing, the one thing I counted to be superb coming from the makers of the good Fallout games, feels like stale bread. Add "meh"-level gameplay, oversimplified player progression and some truly out-of-date technicals and you get the most lukewarm fun you can have in 2019, and this is the year we got Rage 2 for crying out loud.

If you want a good, deep RPG with perfect writing, Disco Elysium is a truly tranformative title for the entire genre. And let's not forget more standard (but much better than Outer Worlds) titles like Divinity: Original Sin 2, Wasteland 2, Atom RPG and the like. And if you want enjoyable FPP exploration with lite RPG elements, Fallout 4 is a much better choice in this regard. Or the Mass Effect series for an enjoyable space opera.

Not that you can't play The Outer Worlds instead and have some mediocre fun but... Why would you?
  47. Nov 5, 2019
    Muy disfrutable, pero no me dejó ningún momento memorable, no destaca en nada, cumple con su objetivo, pasar un buen rato, pero hasta ahí.
  48. Nov 6, 2019
    Pro+
    -decent story
    -solid gameplay -no microtransactions -unique world Cons- -bugs -mimics- my face is tired -simle lockpicking and hacking - no minigame only press F -character designs - all must dyed hair and clothes -i feel SJW agenda > no romance-is not an option for companions, as developers felt it could limit player choice ,asexual Parvati,all colonist are good and all
    Pro+
    -decent story
    -solid gameplay
    -no microtransactions
    -unique world

Cons-
    -bugs
    -mimics- my face is tired
    -simle lockpicking and hacking - no minigame only press F
    -character designs - all must dyed hair and clothes
    -i feel SJW agenda > no romance-is not an option for companions, as developers felt it could limit player choice ,asexual Parvati,all colonist are good and all corporation capitalist are bad,very bad

not have glorious quality story fallout new vegas ,but its solid rpg
  49. Nov 16, 2019
    It's kinda funny how this game criticise capitalism and human greed but the company developing it decided to get cash from the chinesse and release it only on their launcher now thats pretty ironic.This game is a little bit above average.The world felt really bland and the characters felt like they were copy pasted and barely had any charm.The gameplay was average with very fewIt's kinda funny how this game criticise capitalism and human greed but the company developing it decided to get cash from the chinesse and release it only on their launcher now thats pretty ironic.This game is a little bit above average.The world felt really bland and the characters felt like they were copy pasted and barely had any charm.The gameplay was average with very few interesting weapons.The choices that you make in the game barely feel like they have any weight in them and the world just looks bland and uninteresting.There are barely no original or creative world building ideas in this game.One of the few positive things about this game was definitely the humor and the jokes maybe obsidian should start doing stand up comedy from now on.If you were expecting an amazing game like Fallout New Vegas i suggest you look somewhere else since this is not the worse or the best that obsidian has created.It is just the most average that they made. Expand
  50. Nov 11, 2019
    Who did they pay to get this high a rating?

Yes, graphics are nice. Voice acting is good, a modest rpg at best. But freedom of choice? I did two full playthroughs, a mister nice guy play through and one where i just blatantly kill everyone. To be fair, the 2nd one was more enjoyable only because it skipped allot of useless dialog. Endings where the same regardless. Worlds feel
    Who did they pay to get this high a rating?

Yes, graphics are nice. Voice acting is good, a modest rpg at best.

Worlds feel empty, no side stories or mediocre ones at best, want to be bad guy? Not in outer worlds you are not.

Just... **** it, 6 at best, not worth triple A price.
  51. Nov 14, 2019
    A very well executed RPG as far as graphics, play, and game systems. 10 hours in and I feel like I still don’t care about the characters or anything that’s going on. It’s pretty boring story wise. Questing isn’t exciting, it’s very old WOW model. Talk to this person. Gather that. Go here. Do this. And the NPCs are pretty uninteresting and dumb.

I wanted to love this. I’ll play a few more

I wanted to love this. I’ll play a few more hours and if I’m still waiting to be hooked, I’m out.
  52. Nov 26, 2019
    The Outer Worlds isn't a bad game, but it's just not exciting either. There is nothing new or ground breaking here.

For me, a major failing of TOW, is that it was marketed as an RPG, yet it lacks a great deal in actual role playing. Look at character customisation as a start. Your choices are limited to gender/face/hair, and then in-game, armour and clothing is limited to a handful of meshes in different colours, with steadily increasing stats. Variety is clearly not Obsidians spice of life.

Mechanically the game is very basic. Which is nice from an accessibility standpoint, but a bit boring for the player looking for a customise-able, role play game. You wanna be an assassin type character? Wear light armour that boosts sneak. You wanna be a heavy shooter, wear heavy armour that perks shooting. It's really that simple.

Some of the games functions likewise are lacklustre. The V.A.T.S.....err, sorry, I mean the time dilation function for example, may as well not be included. I used it for the first five minutes and then pretty much forgot I had it.

Graphically the game is just OK. It looks nice enough. Character animations are solid and it generally looks good, but given this is a 2019 title, you would have expected WOW! Colours are a little gaudy and there are occasional low texture moments. I could have forgiven all this, had it not been for the performance issues I suffered. My PC isn't top, top, TOP of the line anymore, but it's still much more powerful than an XBone, or PS4. My PC hasn't broken a sweat on any other titles, unless I heavily mod with 4K textures etc. Yet here it stuttered noticeably.

An issue I really felt while playing, was the repetitiveness. Every world you visit has the same handful of alien species, all of whom aren't all that inventive. (think, big lizard monster, big mantis creature, alien dogs etc.) The landscapes are also a little samey.

A particular low moment was finally visiting the corporate capital city of Byzantium. A gleaming opulent beacon of consumerism and greed....turned out to be about 5 streets of dull buildings and a handful of uninteresting NPC's standing about.
    It reminded me of playing the Witcher Wild Hunt. The moment when you first arrive in the city of Novigrad. A TRULY sprawling medieval city, packed with noise and bustling crowds. Even thinking all the way back to 2012's Mass Effect 3. The fairly empty Crucible felt strangely more alive than this.
    Speaking of those two games, leads nicely into the story. Games like The Witcher, Mass effect and Fallout NV showed us what exploration and role play in a busy living fantasy world could feel like. Sadly those games just prove how hollow The Outer Worlds really is.
    Story wise, it's fun enough. Immoral corporations versus plucky freedom fighters, but the whole thing lacks complexity. On my first and so far only play through, I got the "best" good guy ending possible. Now this isn't a boast. It's just very easy to see what route you need to take to get what result.

Mass Effect took team bonding to a whole new level. By the time the big finale was upon you, you really cared about your crew (hell, you were probably having an intimate relationship with one or more of them) and this really lent weight to decision making and choosing crew for missions. Likewise dialogue was interesting and you wanted to get to know your crew and help them out with their problems.
    This is where the Outer Worlds really lacks. Your crew are generally quite boring. With the possible exception of Parvati and Ellie. Parvati is sweet and likeable which makes you care a little more about her. Ellie at least has some back story of vague interest and has the air of lovable rogue about her. On the other hand, Vicar Max is tedious, and his existential crisis sub plot is uninteresting. Felix is a total non character. You literally only hire him because he is unemployed. That's it. No desire to save the universe, no fleeing a dark past. He just got fired and had nothing better to do. Which I suppose makes a nice change, but not a very interesting one. Nyoka is fine, but she is very two dimensional. Mean streets, yadda yadda. Probably the biggest waste of a character though, is SAM. The ships cleaning robot, come killing machine. So much humour could have been packed into a cleaning robot turned war machine, but all he has is a few limited lines and no side quest.

Speaking of comedy. The games trailer eluded to a lot more than there actually is. There are some funny lines here and there, particularly at the start, but the writing tails off as the game progresses.

As for positives, the combat is nothing new, but it handles well. It's responsive enough and there is a limited, but decent array of weapons on offer. It's just a shame they didn't play around more with the idea of science weapons. Some of them are fun.

As a shallower, story driven action game, it's not bad. as an RPG it's seriously lacking
  53. Nov 2, 2019
    I really tried to like it. Because, of course, like everyone else I expected a sort of rpg jewl
    If we're sincere...it's average compared to all the "titans" before him.
    I even enjoyed the last mass effect (andromeda - which had a lot of problems at all levels) more than this "boring adventure". Lack of atmosphere, mediocre music, questionable art talent, reasonable script, not so
    If we're sincere...it's average compared to all the "titans" before him.
    Lack of atmosphere, mediocre music, questionable art talent, reasonable script, not so interesting fighting and evolution tree.
    It does excel at dialogs/conversations...I think much of their efforts landed at this area - this kept me playing it for aprox 10 h just hoping that the same quality will be found in the next stage of the game....-
  54. Nov 20, 2019
    Not quite fallout in space like has been hyped. Plagued by technical issues: textures and audio take way too long to load, even on a SSD. Many times I try to talk to a NPC they will stand there and stare awkwardly at me until all their textures and audio are loaded, which sometimes takes up to 20 seconds for some reason. Opening the map has the same issue, it will sit there with a loadingNot quite fallout in space like has been hyped. Plagued by technical issues: textures and audio take way too long to load, even on a SSD. Many times I try to talk to a NPC they will stand there and stare awkwardly at me until all their textures and audio are loaded, which sometimes takes up to 20 seconds for some reason. Opening the map has the same issue, it will sit there with a loading circle for many seconds before it shows up. The story is.. eh. There's a lack of conflict and urgency in the context of your character. You're just unfrozen and go around doing things for people. There's no big villain, no impending doom, etc. There is a main goal of unfreezing other people from your ship, but after 16 hours of playing so far, nobody else in the game world is trying to stop you, or even acts like they know about the quest to begin with.

edit: I've found a workaround for the technical issues: turn on vsync. apparently my framerate was too high for audio and textures to load properly, which of course makes absolutely no sense...
  55. Nov 9, 2019
    The story at the ending is nice but bland uptill the point.
    The game does a lot of world building but forgets to put quests and plots that are interesting.
    The quests feels like a chore, even though the choices matter, you generally don't care about them and they are generally presented emotionlessly.
  56. Nov 14, 2019
    TL;DR: The Outer Worlds reminds me more of a Borderlands/Bioshock mix, than a Fallout tribute. It's much more "shooty" and much less "ar-pee-gee" than you'd think. It's not great, but not terrible.

PROS: - Fun gameplay - Humor (dialogues and writing) - Story's decent enough to keep the player entertained - Good and diverse companions with a character of their own CONS: -

PROS:
    - Fun gameplay
    - Humor (dialogues and writing)
    - Story's decent enough to keep the player entertained
    - Good and diverse companions with a character of their own

CONS:
    - Outdated graphics: I mean it's the end of 2019, and the game looks much more like Fallout 3 than Red Dead Redemption 2. Let's face it, on the outside the game's dated right from the start. It's not a deal breaker, but all those generic faces and interiors get dull pretty quick.
    - Boring quests: most missions in The Outer Worlds are classic fetch-quests, and not of the good kind. Almost every mission seems to follow the same pattern: receive a quest, go somewhere to shoot things, come back withe quest item and/or knowledge. It gets old pretty damn quick, and if it wasn't for the fact that shooting stuff is actually quite entertaining, the game would be a drag.
    - Bad pacing: it's almost always the same; you come across a new area, you gather all the quests you can, then you solve them, and move on to another area. There is no grand scheme of things that would push you forward. It almost seems like a linear shooter with just a tinge of RPG, and that's a definite con. And it's all pretty slow.
    - Poor equipment and character options: this game will seem quite easy even for an average player. It doesn't matter what kind of character you create. The same goes for your equipment. You can use whichever armor and guns, it hardly matters. This ain't no Fallout.

IMO, The Outer Worlds got published a few years too late. Had it been competing with Borderlands 2, for example, it would have been a close call, but in 2019 it's just a pretty shallow action-RPG that only aspires to be a Fallout successor. In truth, though, it's much more an impostor. Wait for a sale, because it's not a bad game, just not one you NEED to play at the earliest convenience.
  57. Nov 25, 2019
    Mediocre game.
    Decent for a First Person Shooter.
    Bad for a Role Playing Game. One of the factions aggro'd me for stealing BTW you can get caught stealing only once! even if you bribe or persuade the npc the second time you steal the whole faction starts shooting at you, anyway then my companion shoots back and kills one of them and starts yelling at me that I murdered their boss...
    Mediocre game.
    Decent for a First Person Shooter.
    Bad for a Role Playing Game.

One of the factions aggro'd me for stealing BTW you can get caught stealing only once! even if you bribe or persuade the npc the second time you steal the whole faction starts shooting at you, anyway then my companion shoots back and kills one of them and starts yelling at me that I murdered their boss... WTF

A npc is hiding in a hospital and pretending to be very ill and not allowing ANY visitors I literraly needed to break in just to be able to talk to them when I come back to complete/ turn in the quest the NPC is already outside in the lobby waiting for me. WTF

The very first main story related quest has multiple solutions and you can basicly change your mind of which NPC/Faction you will be siding with untill the very last moment. Unfortunately the very last main story related quest does not come with these options. I was forced into a bad ending because of a bad choice i made somewhere earlier on.
  58. Nov 24, 2019
    Not going to lie: if RPGs weren't so close to dead currently, I'd probably give it less.

Graphics: The game itself looks pretty okay. Nothing special, and by no means visually stunning, but thanks to the pretty detailed - if not somewhat small - areas, lots of stuff scattered around it feels somewhat more alive than for example Fallout 4. Characters: Almost all characters are just

Characters: Almost all characters are just vessels of archetypes, nothing surprising there. Credit must be given where it's due though: the conversations with them are slightly better written than their backgrounds. It can be entertaining, but the characters won't entice you.

Conversation: The options and dialogues are well-written, but they can be misleading sometimes. The skill checks are painfully simple. The "motives" and characteristics of more and less important characters are also shallow, superficial.

Combat: While the game starts out moderately difficult, like most other FPS RPG games it soon becomes too easy. You save up a lot of bullets, you get some teammates, and you are free to rain bullets wherever, while also heal self if by mistake you are in harm's way. Hard (3/4) difficulty becomes basically afk one hand brainless massacre before you get midgame. There are like half a dozen of weapons overall with their superior versions altogether, save for a few unique ones (which you will probably use until it's time for the "next tier normal weapons"). After a short while it becomes tenacious if anything when you get a new weapon and have to do the very limited crafting / modding. Damage type is just stupid rock-paper-scissors too; besides damage modifier it doesn't change how they function, don't allow you to develop different playing styles, they are just there to make you swap weapons every now and then. So - dead boring. I wonder why devs ignore to add unique weapons and the like which can be done in a flash and shake up the game so much in a "0.01 percent extra content for +100 percent game versatility" way. Skills and perks are also superficial, you notice them if you pay attention, but that's the depth of it; they add nothing more than just making you a few percents stronger. The whole "teammates fall in battle, but revive when enemies are gone" concept also adds to the good old feel of "safe boredom".

Character development seems promising at first, but soon turns out they are basic as they come; a few very basic skill checks, percentual boost to teammates' health, and the "hacking" abilities. I'd say it would makes a good first base of a 5 level skill pyramid, if there were such a thing in this game. The overall RPG development options are worth a single mention, really; they could have made you have a single weapon and no skills which would just power up as you progress, and you basically wouldn't notice.

It feels like "the choices you make affect the plot" is only there to check that one off. As per standard, you can choose to make some "I'm a douchebag, I hurt people" decisions and one that makes you the typical good guy, rarely any more depth to it.

Overall it has the basics I want to play an RPG for, just the implementation went very bad. I'd wager to say with an excess 10 percent effort would have easily made this game twice as good; and am also cautiously optimistic if it ever receives a sequel it'd finally "arrive" there. But this game as it currently is is what I call "boring after 10 hours", with no redeeming story telling, characters or combat - a cheap, mass-produced, safe piece of manufactured game.
  59. Nov 9, 2019
    Honestly, its better if Obsidian just stops making RPGs and try their luck with FPSs with good stories. They just cannot make a great RPG because the company itself is insincere as always. And everytime they fail, it damages the entire genre.
    I'd give the vanilla game 8
    After it has been polished and edited to readiness by an Obsidan executive:4.5 final score: 6 Um and don't forget the
    I'd give the vanilla game 8
    After it has been polished and edited to readiness by an Obsidan executive:4.5
    final score: 6
    Um and don't forget the unbelievable racism. They should at least tone it down a bit since these games get released worldwide not just in US.
  60. Nov 9, 2019
    Минусы: Minuses
    Баланс сломан. The balance is broken.
    Сложность сломана. Difficulty is broken. Экономика сломана. The economy is broken. Боевой стел сломан. Combat stealth is broken. Диалоги однообразны, надоедают уже через часа 2-3 чтения. Dialogues are monotonous, annoying after 2-3 hours of reading. На всю игру не больше 10-15 моделек нпс. For the whole game no more than 10-15
    Минусы: Minuses
    Баланс сломан. The balance is broken.
    Сложность сломана. Difficulty is broken.
    Экономика сломана. The economy is broken.
    Боевой стел сломан. Combat stealth is broken.
    На всю игру не больше 10-15 моделек нпс. For the whole game no more than 10-15 NPC models.
    Очень коротко, чтобы открыть буквально все, нужно не более 8-10 часов Very short, to open literally everything, it takes no more than 8-10 hours

Плюсы: Pros:
    Интересные второстепенные квесты. Interesting background quests.
    Стелс. Stealth.
    Багов почти нет) There are almost no bugs)
  61. Nov 11, 2019
    I'd describe Outer Worlds as fine. It is the worst game Obsidian has made since Pillars of Eternity, but it was okay. Unfortunately, the majority of the game felt like a slog through nigh identical tasks assigned by nigh identical NPCs, shooting at nigh identical goons who stood there waiting to die. The action in the game was sub-par, the gear was uninspired and the crafting was tediousI'd describe Outer Worlds as fine. It is the worst game Obsidian has made since Pillars of Eternity, but it was okay. Unfortunately, the majority of the game felt like a slog through nigh identical tasks assigned by nigh identical NPCs, shooting at nigh identical goons who stood there waiting to die. The action in the game was sub-par, the gear was uninspired and the crafting was tedious and silly. The setting and story were nice, and I loved the environments. Here's hoping for a pirate-free Pillars 3. Expand
  62. Nov 11, 2019
    I got this game thru XBOX Game Pass for PC (got 3 months free for buying a Ryzen 9 3900X) for free.

I can't recommend buying it full price (80 CAD) for the following reasons: - Game is too short (went thru the campaign + side quests in about 12 hours of gameplay) - Not much variety in weapons/armors - While the character and monster models are great, the saturated palette quickly

I can't recommend buying it full price (80 CAD) for the following reasons:
    - Not much variety in weapons/armors
    - While the character and monster models are great, the saturated palette quickly becomes bothersome.

Once price drops to around 40 CAD, I'd gladly recommend it.
    - The storyline is well written.
    - The choices have a real impact (sooner or later)
    - The gunplay is good
    - You'll definately fit with at least 2 companions (Nyoka and Parvati in my case) either for character build reasons (stealth / tech) or personalities (interactions between an extrovert and introvert).

Great game... but sold at a AAA price, it's a 6/10
  63. Nov 21, 2019
    It's basically a Fallout game dashed with some Mass Effect flair. It's real decent. Must check for sure, but not necessarily a must have.
  64. Dec 26, 2019
    Much hype about nothing. I would concur with people who think the game is average.

The presentation is good but after the first few hours of play, you realise it is a shallow, redundent and poorly written game that was much over hyped. The game made me feel like playing a Snes JRPG. You have a party, maps to explore and dialog but it's mostly just going from place to place,

The game made me feel like playing a Snes JRPG. You have a party, maps to explore and dialog but it's mostly just going from place to place, following the nav beacon and killing off the same ennemies over and over.

There are some cool quests and characters and the world is nice but it's nothing new and not very exciting.

The levels are quite flat. The challenge is thin as ice and I found a lot of the features were very superficial.

I almost finished it but gave up at about 75%.
  65. Oct 29, 2019
    People saying this is the best rpg they’ve played are either delusional or new to the genre. Most people are giving this game glaring scores because they’re upset with Bethesda. Let me make something very clear: this is not a top of the class rpg game. It’san average serviceable game at best. Everything is average in this game, from the art direction, the story and characters, the gunplayPeople saying this is the best rpg they’ve played are either delusional or new to the genre. Most people are giving this game glaring scores because they’re upset with Bethesda. Let me make something very clear: this is not a top of the class rpg game. It’san average serviceable game at best. Everything is average in this game, from the art direction, the story and characters, the gunplay and the progression and skills. I had to stop after 8 hours as it became tedious and boring. There is no sense of discovery and reward, no real immersion in the game. It’s repetitive and dull. Expand
  66. Oct 29, 2019
    Like others have said this game is way overrated because of Bethesda's nonsense lately overall the game feels like a huge fetch quest simulator with stuff you might find interesting in a novel when you’re 14. Every character either drones on about the board or some personal nonsense that sounds like teenybopper drama. The combat is as bad as fallout 3 in a fallout 4 skin i honestly cannotLike others have said this game is way overrated because of Bethesda's nonsense lately overall the game feels like a huge fetch quest simulator with stuff you might find interesting in a novel when you’re 14. Every character either drones on about the board or some personal nonsense that sounds like teenybopper drama. The combat is as bad as fallout 3 in a fallout 4 skin i honestly cannot see how anyone can give this higher than a 6 at the absolute best unless you are seriously easily entertained Expand
  67. Nov 5, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. started with such promise and was delighted to get it on game pass which I paid only 2 euro for for two months.

Then I started playing! oh brother cringe! despite the nice RPG elements and graphics the game falls square in the current PC/woke BS brigade and you can see it in the characters. Almost every character except your ships engineer is this WOKE short haired purple or blue streaked gruff man hater. Its hard to feel any connection with the settlements as your character is little more than a woken up (excuse the pun) visitor. After a few hours of play I cared little for the dialogue and skipped almost all as missions are just a rinse and repeat affair in little more than different pretty yet boring locations. After a while you just dont care for the underlying story and if anything I would prefer to have all the SJW type characters in the game loose to the big bad corporations and myself care little for the frozen many and take my ship and bugger off to a less PC side of the universe.
  68. Oct 31, 2019
    The game isn't bad - plays like Fallout, has some Borderlands-like gags. The freedom to help or shoot whoever you like seems interesting at first, but pretty soon you find out that the game is fairly dumb. People hardly notice what happens around them. You can commit mass murder at one end of the street and still have a conversation with people on the other end, provided your standingThe game isn't bad - plays like Fallout, has some Borderlands-like gags. The freedom to help or shoot whoever you like seems interesting at first, but pretty soon you find out that the game is fairly dumb. People hardly notice what happens around them. You can commit mass murder at one end of the street and still have a conversation with people on the other end, provided your standing didn't change too much. It doesn't stand out as much from titles like Fallout 4 in that sense and it doesn't meet the expectations rave reviews may have given you.

Technically, it is good-looking, plays fairly fluently although the performance is underwhelming given the specs of the hardware I've played on, but certainly not terrible. It is very buggy however, in ways that are so obvious that it's clear this is yet another case of the deadline being more important than the quality.

Characters suddenly disappearing, but still shooting you from nowhere, until you move and they reappear. Characters stuck up to their waist in furniture. I've even had the game hang twice, with the entire system locked up for about 30 seconds before unfreezing. Weird mechanics like literally crouching in front of someone and robbing them blind, without a peep.

There's plenty to point out that should have been caught in play-testing and fixed before release, but we're once again tricked into paying $60 for the privilege of play-testing a "triple A" title.

It's not a bad game, but I regret paying full price - I should have waited for a final edition down the line and picked it up for half the price.
  69. Oct 29, 2019
    Игра отличная, но не лишена проблем. Система диалогов приятная, квесты интересные, но твисты легко угадываются, если до этого играл хотя бы в New Vegas. Стрельба пластмассовая, оружие выглядит и ощущается как игрушечное, но привыкнуть можно. Система напарников с их квестами не плохая, да и состав принёс мне достаточно лулзов. Три девушки разных рас, из них одна лесбиянка, плюс робот и плюсИгра отличная, но не лишена проблем. Система диалогов приятная, квесты интересные, но твисты легко угадываются, если до этого играл хотя бы в New Vegas. Стрельба пластмассовая, оружие выглядит и ощущается как игрушечное, но привыкнуть можно. Система напарников с их квестами не плохая, да и состав принёс мне достаточно лулзов. Три девушки разных рас, из них одна лесбиянка, плюс робот и плюс один белый гетеросексуальный мужчина. Программа по уходу от претензий меньшинств выполнена. Основной сюжет в целом не плох и не прямой как палка, но финал подкачал. Широкого разнообразия врагов в игре нет, что обидно, но допустимо. Игра старается быть лутинг шутером, но ввиду однообразности арсенала и обилия хлама, разложенного по локациям, превращается в симулятор межгалактического бомжа. Картинка в игре выглядит приятно, однако от обилия красок порой натурально болят глаза. Плюс с чисто технической точки зрения игра отстала от индустрии лет на пять. И пара слов о производительности. На систеМе r3 2200 + 1650 с 8gb оперативной памяти игра на ультра настройках работает в 60 fps С периодическими фризами примерно раз в 20 минут независимо от сцены. Expand
  70. Oct 30, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's baffling to see how many people say that this game is better than Fallout 3, NV, or even 4. The game is pretty lackluster in every dimension. For instance, I thought that the story was pretty cool and was looking forward to meeting a revolutionary, anti-corporate forces (and you eventually do meet a large one in the form of the Iconoclasts), however, upon meeting them, I found their cause to be rather lackluster and uninspiring. The same is true of the world, the characters, the quests, the weapons and armor, etc. It's a real shame since the potential is DEFINITELY there, but it seems like Obsidian made a sort of half hearted attempt at remaking Fallout: NV rather than going full force like they did with Pillars of Eternity 2, of which you can certainly see their devotion to quality and expansiveness over the first one. The game also has NO THIRD person - unacceptable for any RPG of this type and I'm not buying their lame excuse of "we couldn't afford it."

Apparently, the game is very short, which is pretty disheartening as well. I'm on Monarch and I've read that this is really where the bulk of the game happens, yet this far in in ANY Fallout, and I'd have hardly scratched the surface. I had little hope for this game and thought from pretty much the day that it was announced that Obsidian should stick to isometric CRPGs, and the outcome of this game has really reinforced that view. I'm sure that they've made a good profit off of this game because the one thing that it did manage to do very successfully was create hype. Hopefully those profits will go into making a huge-budgeted Pillars of Eternity 3, since their work on that series compared to the Outer Worlds is miles apart.
  71. Nov 4, 2019
    First off, I actually like this game, but it feels like its trying to take the best elements from three different games (Fallout, Rage, and Bioshock)... and water them down. Look, its good, don't get me wrong, but its not a game I feel I would play through again. The graphics are amazing, the worlds lore is kind of... honestly generic. The characters are actually interesting, so are theFirst off, I actually like this game, but it feels like its trying to take the best elements from three different games (Fallout, Rage, and Bioshock)... and water them down. Look, its good, don't get me wrong, but its not a game I feel I would play through again. The graphics are amazing, the worlds lore is kind of... honestly generic. The characters are actually interesting, so are the worlds. The gameplay and loot system feels similar to rage 1, but locations are a bit more akin to fallout.

No respawning enemies which is nice, and not so nice at the same time. Means you cant level as quickly as I would prefer; but apparently it doesn't matter since the level cap is 30. The amount o content is enough to make me content with the purchase, but I don't feel its worth full price. Maybe a 30 dollar title at MOST.

Before I bought the game, I asked several friends if it was worth a full price purchase. Every single one of them responded, "I am still trying to decide if it is [worth full price]" If its that level of borderline, then it probably isn't. Once again, its fun, but I doubt I will play through again. I stand by my 7 out of 10.
  72. Nov 22, 2019
    It is an ok game but found it very bland, when I compare even the dialogue in fallout 2 this one is miles away from it, I made a character with maximum charm as it was my best play-trough in fallout 2 with Chitsa, the conversations we're always turning on her beauty, she could obtain anything she wanted, become porn star and so on, it was amazing. In the Outer World none of this exist it'sIt is an ok game but found it very bland, when I compare even the dialogue in fallout 2 this one is miles away from it, I made a character with maximum charm as it was my best play-trough in fallout 2 with Chitsa, the conversations we're always turning on her beauty, she could obtain anything she wanted, become porn star and so on, it was amazing. In the Outer World none of this exist it's like charm just works to persuade or lie and have better prices that's it. very disappointing.

Combat and world didn't impress me either, I find it extremely overrated but I am happy that I was able to play it for free on gamepass, oh and I gave up after +- 20 hours. I was unable to reach the end because of boredom. it isn't even close to New Vegas.
  73. Nov 13, 2019
    I would say this is better than fallout 4 with the RPG elements added back in with the speech which I was happy with the opening of the game was good however the game doesn't seem to be all that long and there was many moments where the a lot NPCs seemed to be heavily SJW themed and all similar 'funny' characters also the main story while decent did really leave me wanting more. I feelI would say this is better than fallout 4 with the RPG elements added back in with the speech which I was happy with the opening of the game was good however the game doesn't seem to be all that long and there was many moments where the a lot NPCs seemed to be heavily SJW themed and all similar 'funny' characters also the main story while decent did really leave me wanting more. I feel like the theme of the game while different just made me miss fallout more there was not enough lore or in game characters that made me like the world itself even minor things like radio is appreciated Expand
  74. Nov 6, 2019
    Ok.I start from the very beginning and admitting i was a little hyped, I was missing in those years such solids game like fallout (76 doesn't exist for me), another tes or games like this.
    I'll have to wait more for them.still.
    I'll have to wait more for them.still.
    Outer worlds it's a pretty funny, solid RPG. Standalone. It's not an open world. The combats are pretty flats and the "final boss" well... i discovered it was the final boss when the game ended.
    Don't miss-understand me. I liked it, but it's a 25h game. I won't restart from the beginning to see the "other" ends, it's senseless. It doesn't worth 60 bucks/dollars/eur/caps. it's enjoyable but not the masterpiece i was hoping. I liked the arts, the sound and some characters even if not all the npc are memorable.
    And no, i won't buy any dlc they will ever done. A good game, flawless and unbugged, to play relaxed in a couple of weeks.
  75. Nov 8, 2019
    I`ve just finished Outer Worlds. I did all the side quest but got a bit bored at end so I didnt finish few last ones. Generally game is descent but not really all that interesting story-wise. World and characters are interesting enough but nothing as memorable as for example in the fallout games. I liked that many situations could be resolved by using talking skills like lie/persuade orI`ve just finished Outer Worlds. I did all the side quest but got a bit bored at end so I didnt finish few last ones. Generally game is descent but not really all that interesting story-wise. World and characters are interesting enough but nothing as memorable as for example in the fallout games. I liked that many situations could be resolved by using talking skills like lie/persuade or other character skills (hack,science,engineering etc).

Graphically this game looks pretty descent but nothing awe-inspiring, optimization isnt perfect at times but I didnt experience any major slowdowns on i7 with 1080 ti in 1440p ultra.
  76. DDP
    Nov 10, 2019
    Good game, good ideas, not that long and not that incredible as it is pictured. Better than fallout for sure, still lacking stuff to do. 30 hours in and I managed to finish it, not sure of how many quests are left. A game to have? Maybe. At full price? Not sure.
  77. Nov 12, 2019
    + Art style is somewhat acceptable
    + The script although short, but is inspired by some "real deal", these guys read some "people"s stories and handled our not-so-far future very well in manner of story-telling
    + I was able to play the game with my XBOX Game Pass for a very very reasonable price + Vicar character is a very well written one. The psychological analysis and crafting on
    + Art style is somewhat acceptable
    + Vicar character is a very well written one. The psychological analysis and crafting on that character is one of the best in the industry I've ever seen
    - The game atmosphere is uninspired.
    - Story is too short
    - The gunplay is too shallow, nearly no item diversity
    - Nearly no armor diversity
    - The side missions are too little in numbers
    - The game scope is microscopic when compared to Skyrim, Oblivion and alike
    - You cannot "own" your character

Verdict: If you are expecting a long, deep, atmospheric RPG game, don't waste your time. If you expect a game with a short play time, some cool action and some RPG mechanics you can give it a try. But like I said, don't expect anything like Elder Scrolls or Fallout level.
  78. Nov 10, 2019
    Нет, это совершенно заслуженная крепкая твердая пять. Это история которую очень интересно завернули, рассказали, провели. Но меня весь игровой процесс терзало ощущение что это просто удачно изуродованный налётом фоллаута ребенок Масс Еффекта часть 2! Это было на каждом шагу миссий, разговорами с персонажами - соратниками, во всем я видел старину МЕ2, который прошел раз 20. И это уже минусНет, это совершенно заслуженная крепкая твердая пять. Это история которую очень интересно завернули, рассказали, провели. Но меня весь игровой процесс терзало ощущение что это просто удачно изуродованный налётом фоллаута ребенок Масс Еффекта часть 2! Это было на каждом шагу миссий, разговорами с персонажами - соратниками, во всем я видел старину МЕ2, который прошел раз 20. И это уже минус - я знаком с механикой и она была старой уже лет 5 назад, а сейчас я хотел увидеть что-то интересное. Оказалось там хлам, заполненная хрен пойми чем аптечка в инвентарь, и условно "опенворлд" которые переехали из фоллыча. В общем пять. На один раз . Переоценено 100%, я даже жалею о покупке немного. Expand
  79. Oct 29, 2019
    Look....it's okay, but it's just okay. There are positives and there are negatives. I had some fun but I wasn't ever hooked. I am disappointed that it wasn't more in depth as an RPG as this genre is right up my alley.

PROS: + Generally good artistic atmospheric graphics, was No Man's Skye-esque + Good use of skill checks in conversation + Varied item pickup, although most are useless

PROS:
    + Generally good artistic atmospheric graphics, was No Man's Skye-esque
    + Good use of skill checks in conversation
    + Varied item pickup, although most are useless
    + Side character development adds variety

CONS:
    - Story is lacklustre for the most part, and conversation gets lengthy
    - Battle tactics are non-existent, with most enemies behaving the same way
    - Gunplay is very simple and not varied enough - the same few weapons exist but are 'Mk II' and 'Ultra' versions when you level up. There are no throwables.
    - Graphic textures are strange and fuzzy, although this might be the art style
    - Buildings on different planets are copy/pasted and they're all pretty similar and clinical
    - There's no incentive to loot houses/buildings as loot isn't important and there are no interesting discoveries which is what made exploring the open world of Fallout so appealing
    - RPG leveling is extremely basic
    - Game only lasted 16 hours including side quests, and there's no endgame continuation possible.

Overall, an average game that doesn't make any groundbreaking additions. It's a combo of FONV/Mass Effect, but not as good.
  80. Nov 2, 2019
    Nice story, new ideas, good dialogues and manhy options but when it comes to gameplay - a piece of wood.
  81. Nov 12, 2019
    An average game at best that has only had any real fanfare due to the mess that Bethesda have created with Fallout 76.

Negatives: Bland looking world and characters Missed a trick with gun customisation as it could have been so much better Too easy Uninteresting story line and lack of exploration options Lack of choice when it comes to gear Positives: Gun play is good Some

Negatives:
    Bland looking world and characters
    Missed a trick with gun customisation as it could have been so much better
    Too easy
    Uninteresting story line and lack of exploration options
    Lack of choice when it comes to gear

Positives:
    Gun play is good
    Some occasional funny moments in the dialect
    Skill tree shows promise

Overall it just feels unfinished and a bit misguided. After getting about 3/4 of the way into the game (and completing every side quest) I just gave up reading the conversations anymore and just wanted the game to be over.
  82. Oct 31, 2019
    Sad to say but there isn't any magic here. Very cookie cutter, with simplistic environments, dull characters and boring combat, plus too much inventory management. I started to lose interest after a couple of hours. This game gets boring.
  83. Nov 15, 2019
    This game is the definition of mediocrity and the devil is in the details.

Starting with average gun/melee-play, where you may feel the kick of your weapon, but enemies certainly don't. And both of you move, like you have no weight. Good old Fallout 3 style. And you spend a lot of time fighting. Except for Phineas Welles, there are really no memorable characters. Companions are meh,
    This game is the definition of mediocrity and the devil is in the details.

Except for Phineas Welles, there are really no memorable characters. Companions are meh, but you need them for skill checks, that give you... experience? Great. Ah, and invest i tech skills. Might sometimes get something usefull out of conversations.

But the thing, that really kills me is that no one... moves. They are always in the same place, no matter the time of the day. Breaks immersion.

And the choices. Will you support an corporation, or an idiot. A corporation, or a murderer. Corporation, or ... you get the idea. And why are all the planets the same? I mean, a bit different shade of stones, but the gravity is the same. Ship is static and boring. Cliche's like cannibals? Check.

If this game premiered 4 years ago, I would give it an 8/10. But today... games moved on.

Now for a good part. Lore is indeed fun and interesting. Characters, while bleak, have good stories to tell. It has some holes, however, it's enjoyable non the less. Guns and melee weapons are interesting, especially science weapons. Quests are okay, however mainly consist of - go fetch me something.

Overall - average. But if you just so happen to have windows gold subscription, you might just as well play it.
  84. Nov 8, 2019
    This game is totally underdeveloped in its graphics, weapons and quests. It looks rushed, and apparently several planets featured on your map are never used, probably cut to be sold seperately later. I really liked this game in the beginning but quickly discovered that it became a boring slog shortly thereafter.
  85. Nov 8, 2019
    Achei bem mais ou menos. Não me empolgou, não me importei muito com o que aconteceria na história e achei a imagem bem ruim.
  86. Nov 18, 2019
    I think the game is good and fun to play but that's about it nothing really special or new for me. It doesn't introduce anything new/original but it uses a good formula and uses in a new context which is the space colonization. Although nothing new in terms of the gameplay or storytelling i quite like the world/universe building and actually would consider to play new games in the same universe.
  87. Nov 22, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played through this game a few times. It feels like an amazing RPG to most people only due to Fallout 76 being an extreme letdown. This game is good however. It's got the usual Obsidian grey line decisions where nothing is truly the right or wrong decision. The humor was well balanced in this satire game about what happens when you have Capitalistic Oligarchy without rooting out corruption in it. The companions are pretty well made but some of them and their quests seem less invested than others. Like Parvati's quest in accepting to be herself to be happy with the woman she liked was cute and all but It was as much of an epic as Vicar Max's quest to truly find himself as he almost like Equilibrium was suppressing his emotions and himself trying to be someone he wasn't. Then Ellie's is my parents thought I was dead so they claimed my life insurance policy.
    The overall plot is ok. Basically just trying to show the propagandized people of Halcyon that the Board isn't want it peddles to be and save the Colonists of the Hope to save the colony itself from inner turmoil. Basically will give some Fallout New Vegas vibes. Combat is well rather fallout like. even has some form of V.A.T.S., guns are cool, melee weapons are solid. Enemies can be tough in beginning but at certain point the game is just easy to play and combat is sorry nonchalant and boring. All in all? Is it fun, yes? Is it a game of the year worthy game? no it is not.
  88. Nov 3, 2019
    Pros:

* Good performance * Nice visuals * Feels very polished in genral * Voice overs are very good * Very fast loading times Cons: * The world is very small with only 2 planets plus an asteroid. * The enemy variatey is severely lacking * The weapon/armor variaty is severly lacking * The game is quite short with the main story taking only around 8 hours to complete.
    Pros:

* Good performance
    * Nice visuals
    * Feels very polished in genral
    * Voice overs are very good
    * Very fast loading times

Cons:

* The world is very small with only 2 planets plus an asteroid.
    * The enemy variatey is severely lacking
    * The weapon/armor variaty is severly lacking

Verdict:

The game is very polished compared to Fallout 4. However the game is very small, with very few areas to explore. It feels like the game is over before it even starts. It is much smaller in scope than Fallout, which is to be expected considering it's been developed by a small team. I thought it would be bigger with more planets, more areas to explore, bigger variatey of weapons/armor and more interesting enemies, so it is a bit of a dissapointment. Hopefully they get a bigger budget so that they can fully realize the games potential in a sequel.
  89. Oct 27, 2019
    Game is far too short, and the crippling lack of build variety means there is not enough replay value for such a short, small game. Nowhere near worth a full $60. This should have been a $40 release, and even that is a bit pricey. The writing is good, the combat is fine, and most of everything else is decent enough to pass, but it's just too damn short.
  90. Nov 7, 2019
    It's space fallout with no third person mode. And it actually isn't a buggy mess made by an incompetent company. The Outer Worlds is what Fallout 5 should strive to be. A polished well-rounded open world FPS-RPG. You can see that Obisidian did well on their New Vegas experience and made something with impressively similar vibes.

Unfortunately, it also suffers the same downside Fallout

Unfortunately, it also suffers the same downside Fallout New Vegas has, which is a disappointingly mute character; and naturally a simplistic stealth and combat gameplay that plagues the entire franchise ever since Bethesda. Similarly, it doesn't let you play at the end of the game, finishing in a rather disappointing ending after obvious black and white choices.
  91. Oct 28, 2019
    It's Hard to evaluate a big and story-branching game as Outer Worlds in such a short time, but we can already tell that it's hard to get a grip in this world. Of course choice system is ripped straight from fallout nv, but all of the characters are somewhat cartoonishly good or bad. I think it's all have to do with the fact that the big arch in this game is fight against giantIt's Hard to evaluate a big and story-branching game as Outer Worlds in such a short time, but we can already tell that it's hard to get a grip in this world. Of course choice system is ripped straight from fallout nv, but all of the characters are somewhat cartoonishly good or bad. I think it's all have to do with the fact that the big arch in this game is fight against giant corporation/government and there's no solid arguments in real life for supporting big business with all of the corruption surfaced just in a past decade.
    In any case, the world is big and beautiful, the shooting part feels good even tho the game is converted to bullet sponges-fest closer to the end, so it's really playable, but it's not really that grounded to reality rpg/fps mix that previous obsidian's game of the same genre was (nor that it claimed to be, even tho it heavily borrows from it).
    TLDR: Better then fallout 3 and especially 4, but not as good as brilliant Nev Vegas.
  92. Nov 1, 2019
    Honestly, I don't see what the fuss is all about. Sure, I expected a lot out of this one but it has nothing to do with my disappointment.

The game is bland. The loot is overwhelming and boring. You simply pick everything, all the time. - RPG Elements are bland and barely impact the game as my 9/100 "Long guns" character was melting everything on his way on the hard difficulty with a

- RPG Elements are bland and barely impact the game as my 9/100 "Long guns" character was melting everything on his way on the hard difficulty with a simple and very common assault rifle.

- "Supernova" difficulty is a chore. Not challenging, just bad and near impossible to play with companions as they keep dying.

- The quests are all alike, they feel like MMO stuff. Uninspired and forgettable.

- The choices don't really have any consequences unless your choice is to murder every colonist. Then maybe...

Seriously, are you guys giving this one 10 just to prove a point to Bethesda because, I got to admit, even Skyrim and Fallout 4 did a lot things better than this one...
  93. Nov 14, 2019
    The writing is mostly great, and different ways in which some of the missions can be completed is clever and refreshing. The combat is decent, and the world is interesting enough, but after a while the game feels a bit one-note with the themes and gameplay.
  94. Oct 29, 2019
    Obsidian developed Fallout: New Vegas and this game unquestionably has similar aspects to F:NV but the comparisons are misleading. Core game design is very different. Unfortunately, not for the better.

First, the game is not open world. Each planet - and you are mislead that there are a dozen to explore when there are really just a few - is more like a hub or level and that hub/level is actually quite small. Furthermore, unlike F:NV, there is no desire to truly explore them. They are sparsely populated and there are no "empty" areas. Every location coincidentally has a place in your, or your companions', story-line. In contrast, in F:NV there are many homes that you can enter and where named NPC's reside but that... do nothing. They serve only to flesh out the world or add color. In TOW, literally most homes are inaccessible with convenient "Evicted" or "Quarantined" signs posted to explain away why you can't interact with them. As a result, the world doesn't feel like a real place or a place that you want to explore (not that these hub/levels actually could afford it anyway).

Persuasion matters, which is refreshing. But it's far too easy and OP. You can apply skill points to parent skills that govern child skills (e.g. Dialogue governs Persuasion, Lie, and Intimidate) and all child skills get leveled-up by placing points into the parent skill until the child is over level 50. in dialogue, you'll need one of the three child skills during discussions. You won't be sure which but only a couple skill checks, even towards the very end of the game, require these to be over 50. And, you can increase them another 15 percentage points with easy-to-find armor mods or using companions.

The game is far too easy on Normal difficulty. Period. Just to add to Gamespot's comments on this, your skill points are always ahead of curve so every Persuasion/Lie/Intimidate or Hack/Lockpick skill check is a breeze. And with combat being as easy as it is (more on that next) why not throw your skill points here?

Combat is repetitive and boring. The enemies aren't diverse (e.g. requiring shock on one enemy type, corrosive on another) so there is no need to vary your tactics. There may only be a half dozen enemy types in the entire game and aside for 1, their critical hit locations don't vary (i.e. aim for the head). It's sad then that loading screens display enemies their anatomies but that info doesn't matter. At all. Just pump 'em full of lead. Combat is so brain dead.

Lastly, faction points just don't matter. I've been caught stealing a dozen times, completed what felt like were significant faction quests (some of which were terminal to the faction) and yet nothing in the world noticeably changed. I could still come and go to all locations without any effect. F:NV actions actually felt more impactful to the world.

Ultimately, while this is from the dev's of F:NV and it takes aspects of that game (e.g. "VATS" slow-mo, RPG point progression) it's a much shallower game. The writing and story, while fine, aren't enough to justify purchasing this game or even spending your 25 hours playing it to 100% completion.
  95. Oct 30, 2019
    This game could have been much more but it's not even better than Fallout 4, the only things they did better with this game than Bethesda does with their games was make the game run better with barely any bugs and having skill checks of their own categories (Which barely matter in this game) but other than that, meh. People like to pretend that this game is 80+ hours long, but that onlyThis game could have been much more but it's not even better than Fallout 4, the only things they did better with this game than Bethesda does with their games was make the game run better with barely any bugs and having skill checks of their own categories (Which barely matter in this game) but other than that, meh. People like to pretend that this game is 80+ hours long, but that only happens if alt tab and go do something else with your life or go around aimlessly doing absolutely nothing inside the game, which can be done in any game.

People made fun of Fallout 4's story for being "Find your son" but in TOW is "Find dimethyl sulfoxide" as part of one of the most uninteresting stories of any RPG that I've ever played. The skill checks barely matter, there are no big consequences to anything outside of killing people which makes their faction hostile, but other than that, certain decisions only made someone angry at me. The only "consequence" that I found was the big decision in the first planet, but I didn't really have to do anything there again so it didn't matter at all.

Companions don't seem to care about what you do unless you kill someone close to them and I don't even know if this applies to all of them. Their side quests are boring and one of them in particular is very cringy.

Character creation is pointless because you don't get to see your character outside the inventory menu or when you go idle. Equipment in general, from armor and weapons is lacking, all the corporate factions have the same exact uniforms, just in different colors, the non-corporate factions have one outfit with the exception of the Iconoclasts and the Marauders. Perks are very uninteresting, I ended up taking the more carrying capacity as soon as I could because nothing else seemed too interesting.

The world is so small and empty without any interesting in it whatsoever that Fallout 76 does a much better job at it. There's nothing interesting to find, no multiple side quests, no random encounters and locked rooms where I needed high lockpick to gain access to ended up having just a handful of bits, some consumables and maybe a weapon. NPCs are for the most part static, they don't have daily schedules and just stand in the same spot you find them, with a few here and there just moving from A to B and then maybe to C and then repeat. Some of the NPCs don't even acknowledge changes within their own faction.

There's a lot of loot but a lot of it is nothing but clutter, plenty of consumables that give you some buff for 30 seconds or 2 minutes, very short time that made me ignore 95% of the loot I found.

Many of the quests seem to be straight out of the MMORPG playbook, go here and kill this enemy, kill 10 of these, 3 of these and 1 of these, go here and click this, go there and click that, go fetch this and bring it to me/to someone else, etc and you get a thank you and here's some money for your troubles.

Combat is the same as every first person shooter ever, but with less weapon variety. Enemies are also lacking in variety, once you reach Monarch you would have seen all of them.

It took me around 31 hours to beat the game with the Phineas good ending without the use of fast travel and completing almost every quest in the game, perhaps I missed one or two but it wouldn't have given the game even another hour.

Some people have said that this is the perfect combination of Mass Effect and Fallout, but that's an insult to those franchises, even considering that they have Andromeda and 76.
  96. p_l
    Oct 29, 2019
    5 stars for a functional game, +1 for witty dialogue. More like half a point because the actual story writing is a complete snooze.

The game over-advertises its scope (many of the planets on the map can never be accessed, likely they chopped them from the game to sell as DLC later, and most buildings and NPCs can't be interacted with). Despite some funny conversations, is boring boring boring to play. I did finish it but the ending wasn't really an ending, more like the game just stopping (if anyone remembers how stunted F:NV's vanilla ending was, it's essentially like that).

Items are everywhere, but picking them up is boring because they're all essentially the same and none of them are useful.

The game is not open world. It is linear. You cannot progress to new areas until you complete stages in the main quest. The zones you progress to are hilariously small and are all carbon copies of each other (one large corporate town with a store, a clinic, a workshop, and a palace, with a few pointless buildings outside the town and a couple locations for quests to send you to). This is a linear game with backtracking for fetch quests.

Fetch quests.

Even the main story is 99% fetch quests. In fact, the whole premise for the story is a fetch quest, and the game abruptly ends when you complete that fetch quest.

The combat is very barebones. If you get sent to fight anything, it'll be a group of 3-5 generic mobs that you've seen before, and then the quest is over and it's time to go back to the NPC. There is only one boss in the entire game.

The extensive character trait and skill choices make promises they can't keep. There's no point taking stealth because every quest just hands you a disguise that lets you walk, in plain sight, past guards and enemies. I had a stealth of 3/100 and still beat the game without killing anyone in cities (except those I explicitly chose to murder). I would say that with the exception of the dialogue and gun skills, none of the skills make a difference to gameplay at all.

Without the humor, this would be magnificently bland as a whole. The game seems to realize this because it injects goofy one-liners into every conversation to the point where I couldn't tell characters apart anymore. Everyone spoke with the same snarky voice, my character included.

This would be a decent game to pick up for $20 once there's a Complete Edition for 70% off, play for a weekend, then forget all about it. At its current price it's an absolute joke, and the worst Obsidian game I've played.
  97. Aug 31, 2020
    This is not a bad game but this is not a super game, I would prefer to play fallout NV or fallout 3 / 4 over this.

It has a very short story with a lot of side missions what felt like main part of this game, It had no characters what gave any lasting impression, But the combat is fun you can do a lot of the game just by talking your way through what is a nice change and the story is just good enough to make me keep going to the end.
  98. Oct 29, 2019
    A good game. Graphics can be nice, but quite muddy. The planets are incredibly bland and not at all beautiful or atmospheric. No bugs. Most characters are trash and lack the interesting depth you find in games like DA Inquisition amd ME Andromeda. Combat is a bit plain, but it works. There is not a lot of content, I could easily need a couple of more planets. It's very similar to a bugfreeA good game. Graphics can be nice, but quite muddy. The planets are incredibly bland and not at all beautiful or atmospheric. No bugs. Most characters are trash and lack the interesting depth you find in games like DA Inquisition amd ME Andromeda. Combat is a bit plain, but it works. There is not a lot of content, I could easily need a couple of more planets. It's very similar to a bugfree FO4 only in space. Cant remember much of the music and there are too few cinematics. Also the ending feels like a midgame hurdle, rushed and not good. A mediocre game, 6.5/10 Expand
  99. Nov 2, 2019
    This game has definitely been overrated as a result of the recent Bethesda nonsense. It is a wholly average game once the novelty of it washes away. The world is quite beautiful but there isn't much to explore. The skills and perks are just okay. There are a lot of fetch quests. The gun play is fine but limited in choice as there is only 3 ammo types which means many of the guns you areThis game has definitely been overrated as a result of the recent Bethesda nonsense. It is a wholly average game once the novelty of it washes away. The world is quite beautiful but there isn't much to explore. The skills and perks are just okay. There are a lot of fetch quests. The gun play is fine but limited in choice as there is only 3 ammo types which means many of the guns you are using pull from the same ammo stock. The modding system is boring to use and you can forget its even there. One thing I did find pretty good was the writing, but it's too bad that most of the characters are uninteresting. You can persuade, lie, etc. and there's no real consequences to your actions.

In short, it's an average RPG that doesn't live up to the Fallout of old.
  100. Oct 29, 2019
    My god, what a mess. It says something about the state of RPGs if this gets such high praise.

This game is a pale shadow of Bioware/Obsidian greats like KotoR, Fallout NV or even Mass Effect. - Setting: very inconsistent, it starts out genuienly funny in a sarcastic/dark humor sort of way but then turns into a semi-serious sci-fi setting with some very shallow social commentary.

- Setting: very inconsistent, it starts out genuienly funny in a sarcastic/dark humor sort of way but then turns into a semi-serious sci-fi setting with some very shallow social commentary. Corporations = BAD mmmkay?

- Visuals/art direction is so hilariously bad you wouldn't believe it's an Unreal Engine 4 game. Character models/animations are straight from 2010, the colours are all burned out and there is a heavy post-process filter that makes it all blurry and washed out on to of assets simply being ugly.

- Itemisation/character progression: as boring as it gets. There are maybe 4 or 5 basic weapon types and everything else is just better versions or different damage types. Damage types are simply annoying, you see an enemy of type X you have to use damage type Y. Add to that that light ammo weapons are pretty much useless and all you have to do is cycle between an assault rifle and an energy weapon. Weapon and armor mods are even more boring and can safely be ignored. I don't think I've ever used a consumable other than the healing thingies because they're all so worthless.

- Combat: very basic first-person shooter with few very tactical options. 99% of the time you just mindlessly shoot the same 4-5 enemy types over and over.

- Quests/choices: inconsequential. Quests are all go to a navpoint kill/fetch something. There was a point at the start of the game where a very kind/good character follows you and you can just walk in and murder her boss in cold blood and she will help you without batting an eye, then will randomly go "OMFG you psychopath what did you just do???"... but 10 seconds later she's like "lol nvm can I come with you pretty please?".

The game sometimes does things for you that you don't mean to. In particular there is a quest where you have to recover research data from an overrun research facility (fetch quests...) and you technically have a choice to keep it for yourself, but half of the dialog options will simply give it away to the NPC when you absolutely don't mean to.

In 2000s this game would be absolutely panned, but I guess compared to what goes for an RPG these days (cough cough Bethesda cough) you at least have some dialog choices and skill checks?

Generally favorable reviews - based on 29 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 9, 2019
    An excellent effort from Obsidian, and though The Outer Worlds doesn’t surpass its predecessors by offering a world worth visiting over and over, the adventure it presents is more than worth the time spent.
  2. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Dec 6, 2019
    Usually, a planet has just one or two settlements and a bit of wildlands to explore. But that’s for the best – instead of exploring miles of filler content, Outer Worlds keeps you moving from planet to planet, from one tense situation to another. [Issue#241, p.34]
  3. Nov 27, 2019
    The Outer Worlds is an RPG with an incredible amount of choices to make, to the extent that it can sometimes feel more like an adventure game. While it becomes more linear near the end, there are few games that give the player this much freedom of choice.