8.0

1. Nov 11, 2018
    The Thronebreaker is an excellent witcher-world tale, a mediocre game and a disgusting business practice at the same time.

The story is at the level to be expected of a witcher game. The atmosphere of a war-torn world is so vivid and real, the backbone topics of treachery and retribution, crimes and the necessity of their punishment are so persistent, that it is a pleasure to make choices. The latter are accompanied by distinctive characters and brilliantly-written dialogues. All of these make the "witcher-tale" deep, mature and really enjoyable.

Production quality is also at the highest level. Every technical aspect of the game may be put in the range between "excellent" and "brilliant". Also I experienced no performance issues or bugs in the whole walkthrough.

The "Thronebreaker" starts to lose points when it comes to core game mechanics: combat, puzzles, exploration and "technology", Combat is based on "Gwent: the Witcher cardgame" and it is ridiculously easy, even on the highest difficulty. Every meaningful deck design beats any battle with an enormous advantage. The exceptions are the final battle and maybe a couple in the fourth chapter, where some minor deck adjustments are necessary. The supremacy turns combat into a boring, tedious, time-wasting chore. When you battle similar enemies in a short period of time the effect is felt much stronger.

With no real need to improve the deck, the necessity to invest into "technology" (camp investment) also loses sense. The latter makes resource gathering redundant. Thus, the exploration turns into the following: time-wasting battles, time-wasting scrapping, bright story moments and puzzles. So the game value per se drops to range between 5 and 8, depending on how much you like time-wasting and puzzles.

What really puts the "Thronebreaker" into red numbers, is the downfall of CD Project Red from the user-friendliest company (in the blessed times of Witcher 1 and 2) to standard industry practices. The game is just a piece of "Gwent: tWCG" content (much-needed content), ripped off and and sold for an AAA game price, the price that is higher than that of The-Best-Game-Ever of the very same developer.
  2. Nov 11, 2018
    This game is really bad. This is just using Witcher IP for selling the game.
    Card game mechanics are bad, rpg is bland it maybe buy it on 90% sale
  3. Nov 12, 2018
    Witcher 3 is meh, this is just bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Oct 25, 2018
    My previous review was flagged out of existence, so I'll keep this review as dry and impersonal as possible: I personally find this game to be dull and distasteful, and a blatant ripoff for its asking price. If you like it, good on you and I'm happy for you. For everyone else: spend your money elsewhere.
  5. Dec 24, 2018
    Overrated cash grab. With pixel hunting and bad puzzles.
  6. Oct 23, 2018
    I am unable to go to the main menu due to video black screen, audio and subtitles works fine.
  7. Jan 23, 2021
    Such a great game. Graphically it looks very appealing, story wise it's very intriguing, and the gameplay is awesome. Gwent is a great game, which is very easy to understand, but still manages to create plenty of depth to play around with. The only downside to this game is the ending, which was basically unbeatable for me because of a horrible setup in the game.
  8. Feb 20, 2022
    Not really GEENT at all when nearly every battle is a stupid "puzzle" which you can just retry over and over until you get it...this is not what I signed up for. I wanted to build a deck and grow it, but nope, that's not much of the game as you'll be hitting scores of 100 within an hour, which pretty much kills any sense of getting stronger.

Tiny little click and hold spots all freaking

Tiny little click and hold spots all freaking over...spoiler, not fun to harvest!

Only good parts are the dialogues. Glad it did bad so they can put their resources elsewhere since this was rightfully a flop and a half.
  9. Mar 10, 2022
    games out of politics, juegos fuera de la politica, jogos fora da política

Generally favorable reviews - based on 51 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Feb 13, 2019
    Thronebreaker is a feast for those collectible card games fans who don’t care for online play or tournaments and instead would like to follow a well-written story that introduces an array of vivid characters and presents you with tough choices. [12/2018, p.56]
  2. Jan 18, 2019
    Overall, Thronebreaker is a revolutionary game within the CCG genre, and I hope other companies take note. With a 40-hour story to support an engaging card game, there's nothing else quite like it, and its unique nature is to its overall benefit. It's made me realize how much I can and do enjoy card games when they're done right.
  3. Jan 2, 2019
    A singleplayer version of Gwent, that sounds boring, but it actually is amusing. It's written very well and tactical it knows how to challenge a gamer.