6.8

1. Oct 8, 2017
    Solid, playable and fun RPG based on old-school mechanics. A little bit in the atmosphere of Bioshock, but it's finely adapted and immersed in steampunk. Game controls are very good and greatly improved from the classic ones. Excellent sound, graphics and level design.
  2. Oct 4, 2017
    In terms of old school RPG grid movement, Vaporum does a good job. I prefer the control scheme of Might & Magic and be able to turn with the mouse pointer. Using the middle roulette is kind of counter intuitive. One thing I did like a lot was the story, told by the main character, but also in audio recording and written notes. The combat was fun but even at Easy setting you will eventuallyIn terms of old school RPG grid movement, Vaporum does a good job. I prefer the control scheme of Might & Magic and be able to turn with the mouse pointer. Using the middle roulette is kind of counter intuitive. One thing I did like a lot was the story, told by the main character, but also in audio recording and written notes. The combat was fun but even at Easy setting you will eventually miss repair kits. So I played half at easy, half casual. The tech power are very unequal in terms of powers...some are very useful like poison, fire, restore...others are just a waste of time like better aiming, protection, force field, they do a poor job at it. You can equip new items and tech power. You get a lot of puzzles like switch, keys, teleport, combination, traps. They go from simple to hard. There are 3-4 of them who were too hard because they rely on guessing more then deduction or hints. They were really annoying. I found the level without weapon refreshing, and you had to think how to kill the enemy. I would have prefer another section like that then a bad teleport puzzle. So, Vaporum could have use some small hints here and there for some of the puzzles and direction. Nothing major but useful. Otherwise I liked it, more then Grimrock but less then Might and Magic X. I give it a 75%, and it should be play if you like puzzles and old RPG. Expand
  3. May 4, 2018
    Overall fun game. It did a far better job of capturing the old school RPGs than Legend of Grimrock and the story was predictable but entertaining. No bugs were found but there were some questionable design decisions.

The biggest issue I had was all the holes in the floor. It was like the devs had a fetish for it. Every area had arbitrary holes in the floor for you to fall through, especially during combat. Given the old school controls this doesn't work out so well. It also causes the immersion factor to drop since you couldn't imagine anyone working in such an area (for long) with holes without rails.

Another area of complaint is the continual reliance on locking you into an area with waves of enemies that could either hit you from any where in the room or simply corner you quickly. On more than one occasion combat simply boiled down to who could last longer.

Another complaint I had was the leveling was limited compared to the options made available. There were several interesting abilities I wanted to try but given the limited leveling you would have to almost completely focus on one area to unlock them. Given the options it seems like leveling could have been a little faster.

The last complaint is that the later puzzles are pretty much trial and error. Good game design says you should give the players some sort of hint on how to solve something either directly or indirectly. There was none here so you guessed on most things (and generally died) over and over until you figured it out. None of the later puzzles could really be solved logically.

Overall a quick, fun game. I hope they make another game similar to this but perhaps with some adjustments to the mechanics.
  4. May 24, 2018
    Wow, a complete rip-off of The Legend of Grimrock, only with more steam, less fun and no character. 90s dungeon crawlers looked better. I feel offended as a player.

1. Apr 24, 2019
    Vaporum is a well-crafted throwback that fans of the genre will surely enjoy. It doesn't do much to update a classic formula, but there is enough there to please a great group of players.
  2. CD-Action
    Dec 19, 2017
    A solid dungeon crawler (in the vein of Legend of Grimrock) that could have used some fresh, distinctive ideas. [12/2017, p.63]
  3. Nov 13, 2017
    Old and new merge in Vaporum: the result is an engaging game able to satisfy basically everyone.