7.7

1. Nov 30, 2017
    The game itself is a solid 7/10, some poor design choices (for example, levels where you run a straight line...but holding the stick straight makes you run into a wall, have to run diagonally) and tedium get in the way of it having a better overall score. I personally didn't care for the general cutesy atmosphere, idiotic main protagonists, and excessive use of bad puns...but that's moreThe game itself is a solid 7/10, some poor design choices (for example, levels where you run a straight line...but holding the stick straight makes you run into a wall, have to run diagonally) and tedium get in the way of it having a better overall score. I personally didn't care for the general cutesy atmosphere, idiotic main protagonists, and excessive use of bad puns...but that's more taste than quality of the game itself.

However, the PC port is riddled with extra problems. No key remapping, no support for my controller (xpadder fixes this), FPS lock and FPS drops, (locked at 30...drops during cutscenes and summons to about 15), invisible textures (water in the water level, lava in the lava level, the staircase to the crystal tower, piece of Shiva's face are all invisible). Game doesn't fit into a window properly (shiftwindow fixes this).

Basically you have to use external programs to make the game playable, because Square Enix once again shows a complete lack of care for their ports and for the PC audience.
  2. Dec 30, 2017
    I got into the game blind, considering I had some fun with Final Fantasy 10, 8, not so much with 10-2, I figured I'd give it a go. At the opening cutscene I was immediately hooked... after that everything just went downhill very slowly. For people who didn't know, this game is a Pokémon clone and not a very good one. The way they tried to put elements in there you'd expect from a FinalI got into the game blind, considering I had some fun with Final Fantasy 10, 8, not so much with 10-2, I figured I'd give it a go. At the opening cutscene I was immediately hooked... after that everything just went downhill very slowly. For people who didn't know, this game is a Pokémon clone and not a very good one. The way they tried to put elements in there you'd expect from a Final Fantasy game like big broad characters and cutscenes just worked against them. I stopped playing about half an hour after the tutorial because I just go frustrated with the game. From tedious puns that just get really annoying to outright dumb characters and more. From the moment I started actually PLAYING the game (which took 2 f***ing hours) I felt like the game was that annoying teacher that insists on teaching you basic primary school maths for three weeks straight and the only way out is with an F-grade or by changing schools. It tried to teach me to play a game that I had been playing for 14 years straight if not more, which is fine if you're someone who never played Pokémon before, but considering you CANNOT turn tutorial notifications or cutscenes off you're in for a very frustrating ride. The game tried to teaching me how to do puzzles by solving the first puzzle for me as if I wouldn't know how to do that. Oh and did I mention that you can't skip overworld dialogue nor progress unless that dialogue has resolved? The thing that Pokémon did way better is that NPC's only speak to you when spoken to and that when someone does spontaneously starts talking to you you could've seen it coming from a mile and it usually turns into a rival battle or acquiring a key-item you need to progress the game. In WOFF, these dialogues happen at set locations on the map, cannot be canceled nor skipped and add NOTHING to your progression, it actually holds you back since you can't progress unless the dialogue has resolved (as stated above). These dialogues aren't only 2 sentences either, they are like full minutes long and they break the flow of the game very frequently. Imagine playing Pokémon Yellow again, but instead of Pikachu talking to you when necessary or when spoken to he will stop you every **** 5 steps to give you a 10 minute rant about cheese and how much he loves it. That's World of Final Fantasy for you.
    Rarely do I ever get so frustrated with a game that I immediately return it for a refund, but this game just got me howling in anger. The way the game treated me like a toddler playing their first game, but lacking the ability to turn this off so I just have to sit there and take it, the annoying characters, the never ending dialogue that adds nothing but wasted time to my adventure and the fact that I had to wait 3 **** hours of time just to play a game I had already played a million times before but still treating me like I was a retarded piece of utter **** just made me want to punch the guy that thought this was a good idea in the balls... furiously. Do yourself and your loved ones a favour, do NOT buy this!
  3. Feb 22, 2019
    im never buying another final fantasy until they change there writers. the main reason people buy final fantasy games is for the plot and rpg game play. Have you ever talked to a crazy homeless person that spouts non-sense, that's the same feeling i get when i listen to tama one of the main characters. Hiroki Chiba was a great event planer but is not qualified to be a writer for the franchise.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 20, 2018
    If you can get over the fact that the presentation of the PC version isn't that much better than the PS4 version, you'll find World of Final Fantasy to be a very good RPG for all ages. It maintains a delicate balance between being simple enough to understand while also having the necessary depth for players who want it.
  2. Jan 8, 2018
    Spin-off or not, and not going into long-winded arguments for and against, the game does some things better than some of the latest main series entries. The turn-based combat is not only welcome, but it’s implemented on a level that surpasses the nostalgic legacy of it. Also, the writing is worth of a praise. As one half of the twins myself (with a brother though, not a cute thing like Reynn!), I really appreciate the banter between Reynn and Lann. It’s so fun, acute and savvy! World of Final Fantasy might be a bit of a slow burner, as it takes some time to get familiar with it, but when it opens up, you’ll be lost in the beauty of it, hunting mirages and resolving the mystery of the twins and the world around them.
  3. Dec 11, 2017
    World of Final Fantasy has some great gameplay design that honors the traditional turn-based role-playing game structure. The additional Pokemon elements of capturing and cultivating the mirages creates motivation to keep the ball rolling, even if you’re grinding out the gameplay a bit. The gameplay certainly isn’t perfect, as the younger audience that Tose and Square Enix are trying to reach rears its head in the gameplay structure once in awhile through the game's flow and simplicity, but World of Final Fantasy is diverse and deep enough to keep the excitement going from beginning to end. Just come prepared with a good GPU to push it on the PC.