5.8

1. Dec 2, 2017
    Disappointing adventure game. The original game is way superior.
    Clunky controls, so many loading screens, way too few puzzles, so few different locations, just inside the castle, garden, graveyard and some Stonehenge place, and way too short. Think I finished it in less than 5 hours.
    Story I liked though and was the only reason I finished it. Edit: Forgot to say there was also numerous
    Disappointing adventure game. The original game is way superior.
    Story I liked though and was the only reason I finished it.
    Edit: Forgot to say there was also numerous glitches where character got stuck after cutscenes and had to load from save game, plus also experienced 6 crashes of the game during its short play through.
    The original black mirror on pc is one of my all time favorites of point and click adventure games. Go buy the trilogy on steam instead of this game imo
  2. Dec 19, 2017
    Good graphics and storytelling, but the frequent loading screens break the game and make it a huge chore to complete. If they had ironed out the technical issues, loading screens, and bugs where you get stuck, it would have prolly been a pretty good game.
  3. Apr 25, 2018
    Well, it's a complete game. Solid music sets the backdrop for this should-be point and click adventure game that brings some solid gameplay elements to the table. However, the constant loading screens between rooms really puts you as a player at a loss for exploration, the "master key" puzzles can be irritating based off your perspective, and the control scheme can get wonky which is aWell, it's a complete game. Solid music sets the backdrop for this should-be point and click adventure game that brings some solid gameplay elements to the table. However, the constant loading screens between rooms really puts you as a player at a loss for exploration, the "master key" puzzles can be irritating based off your perspective, and the control scheme can get wonky which is a shame especially when towards the end of the game there is a "puzzle" that forces you to walk a specific path on the floor.

As I stated, it's a solid game and if you yearn for the feeling of an old school point-and-click adventure game, this should satiate you for roughly 5 or 6 hours.
  4. Dec 7, 2017
    Take a seat and get ready to play King Art Games Black Mirror on the PalyStation 4. Firstly you'll need a nice cup of tea, a large waterproof coat and most of all a note pad and pen, or pencil if you feel that rubbing things out is better rather than scribbling. It's been years, and I mean years since I've been playing a game and needed to write things down, cross things out then writeTake a seat and get ready to play King Art Games Black Mirror on the PalyStation 4. Firstly you'll need a nice cup of tea, a large waterproof coat and most of all a note pad and pen, or pencil if you feel that rubbing things out is better rather than scribbling. It's been years, and I mean years since I've been playing a game and needed to write things down, cross things out then write things down again. Black Mirror takes you back to the good old days of puzzling in the vain of Resident Evil, Silent Hill and the like. Puzzles that will really get the old grey matter turning cogs that you'd put to sleep with the many 'hold your hand' games out there. DON'T go on the internet and find the answers, you'd be gutted. Once you crack the clue you'll be made up.

Grab your coat, we're off to bonny Scotland.

Bonny but not Sunny that's for sure. You play as David Gordan a middle aged man, depending on what you consider middle aged, an Innocent clean cut fella who's just inherited a small family castle to whom the inhabitants are not exactly welcoming. I have to be very careful and quite vague about the games story. The thing is Black Mirror is a 3rd person adventure thriller rather than horror with a very good story and to talk about any aspect of the story could lead to big fat spoilers. In parts of the game you will 'interact', that is all I'm going to say, and some of these 'interactions' can lead to a life or death situation that is very well done if not a little confusing when you first have to react.
    In parts of the game you don't work alone, you're with another character following you lighting the way at night with a candle. A storm has hit the Scottish county side knocking out the power so in the night scenes your candle light dances off the walls leading your way in the hunt for clues.

This takes me to the graphics in Black mirror. The artwork in the mansion is brilliant, excellent texture work is complemented by the fantastic lighting engine. The light shines off every object casting pin sharp shadows that realistically move as you do. The woodwork that is virtually everywhere is carved to perfection. Flames lick at logs in the fire and moonlight pans through the windows as you walk by. What really impressed me most, that could as easily be overlooked was the rain running down the glass. Once I'd spotted it I couldn't help but stop every now and then to take another look. Anyone that has played the very first Resident Evil will smile when the game first starts inside. I hope you get the same 'deja vu' feeling that I had.
    Outdoors is a mixed bag. While for the most part it's very plain you will be drawn to parts of it that will make you look twice. At night it can be very pretty.

Sound is done very well. Footsteps ring out in the silence of the castle as you wander about searching for clues, candles burn and fires crackle as you walk by. The Scottish tones are done well and people in the US needn't worry as everything is subtitled. Hearing the rain against the glass is brilliant in 5.1 surround as does the lake water lapping at the edge of the land.

Black Mirror is by no means a point-and-click game. In my opinion anyway. I'd say it's more of a interactive 3rd person action game. Sure you point and click in parts but for the most part it feels very 3rd person adventure so please don't be put off by the term 'Point and Click' that may come up in reviews as the game is far more than that.
    Black Mirror is a back to the old school adventure that will have you hooked after the slow start but once things get going you'll want to solve the mystery of the Black Mirror.
  5. May 1, 2018
    The plot progresses with further murder and an attempt to show the deteriorating sanity of David Gordon. But rather than arcane, unknowable madness we see more spooky ghosts than anything else. The voice acting was touted as one of the selling points of the game but after playing through it I’d hardly be bragging about the performances. They weren’t utterly dreadful and I did appreciateThe plot progresses with further murder and an attempt to show the deteriorating sanity of David Gordon. But rather than arcane, unknowable madness we see more spooky ghosts than anything else. The voice acting was touted as one of the selling points of the game but after playing through it I’d hardly be bragging about the performances. They weren’t utterly dreadful and I did appreciate the odd bits of Scottish dialect that were thrown in but by and large I was bored by this game’s characters. Ultimately, Black Mirroris a game with admirable aspirations but poor execution has made this a disappointment. Expand
  6. Dec 15, 2017
    I haven't played the original trilogy so please keep in mind that I'm writing this review without that bias. Overall I had a good time with the game and found it to be rather refreshing. When was the last time that a game made you pull out a physical piece of paper to jot down things and solve equations in order to solve puzzles? If you can get over the fact that there will be frequentI haven't played the original trilogy so please keep in mind that I'm writing this review without that bias. Overall I had a good time with the game and found it to be rather refreshing. When was the last time that a game made you pull out a physical piece of paper to jot down things and solve equations in order to solve puzzles? If you can get over the fact that there will be frequent loading screens and that this is not a AAA production, then you should be able to find some enjoyment in it! This isn't Uncharted... Nor is it Silent Hills PT. This game is not scary at all, but it sure has a hell of a lot of charm to it! It's short and sweet and you can platinum the game by simply finishing the story. Expand
  7. Apr 7, 2020
    Good story, some -few- good puzzles, great Scottish atmosphere, great indoor´s lightning, but a lot of technical issues to ruin the experience. Really a shame, it could have been so much better with a bigger budget, however, is worth to play it -you can get it for free with ps now- because is very short
  8. May 27, 2020
    uninteresting game in all aspects. A disappointing story, horrible gameplay, one of the worst I've ever seen.
  9. Apr 3, 2020
    The game was great! I honestly thought it was going to be bad but it ended up being the best game. I think it's because there was a lot of mystery and suspense. The only issue I had was the hinting. I had to figure out every part of the game and YouTube a lot of the part of the game to figure out how to beat it. Also the loading to every room was bad. Hopefully the next game is upgraded.
  10. Apr 23, 2020
    This game is perfect for all fans of lady Gordon’s private desk, which, though comfortable, would be improper to use. The Scottish dialect was flawless! My flat mates and I regularly say some of Rory’s token phrases like “canstna” and “doesna”. The rotating key mechanism never gets old! We found ourselves entertained for hours just turning the key parts over and over; oh how we laughedThis game is perfect for all fans of lady Gordon’s private desk, which, though comfortable, would be improper to use. The Scottish dialect was flawless! My flat mates and I regularly say some of Rory’s token phrases like “canstna” and “doesna”. The rotating key mechanism never gets old! We found ourselves entertained for hours just turning the key parts over and over; oh how we laughed when we found out we didn’t even have all of the necessary parts yet! Our personal highlight came as earlier when David/Edward/Andrew/John/Angus/Rory/Jim/Henry (or whatever his name was) swallowed a piece of paper with the satisfying noise: HAOMPH. Speaking of which all of the characters were memorable and had diverse name which we had no difficulties in differentiating between. We could not recommend this experience more, especially to all you Gaelic history buffs. Expand
  11. Apr 25, 2020
    This game just gets into a positive area for me as a review.

What this game ends up being is a very interesting story all wrapped up in a very technically flawed presentation. The voice acting and the fact they use proper dialect is very good, so is the story as a whole but what does distract from the experience is the fact that the game overall lacks polish. Where does it lack?
    This game just gets into a positive area for me as a review.

Where does it lack? The character feels like he is drunk when you move him, its the best way I could describe it but you would have to feel it to understand fully. Also as others have mentioned the loading screens and occasional freeze. I have also noted sometimes textures fail to render at some angles such as the main staircase in the hall if you walk up it sometimes you can see through the house and some fps issues here and there. I have also managed to get myself stuck in the initial "chase" scene on the side of the path. However, again if you look pas this you can find yourself an interesting experience and a solid story
  12. May 5, 2020
    A flawed horror game with few scares but plenty of B-movie appeal, it'll scratch an adventuring itch.
  13. Sep 28, 2020
    The best thing here is atmosphere. It is very immersive. Puzzles aren't challenging, but good characters do the trick.
  14. Nov 1, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There's a lot to love in this game; spooky premise, gothic setting, creepy characters and a subtle psychological suspense.

Sadly there's also a lot to dislike...graphical **** unexpected freezes, dialogue without moving mouths, and long (and frequent) load times.

But if you can see past the technical troubles there's plenty to enjoy about this mystery.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 31, 2018
    Black Mirror is a good story that suffers from a dated application of game styles. While this is interesting in a meta way, it is not much fun to play. The narrative itself plays out fairly successfully. but it is hard to recommend it for this alone.
  2. Jan 22, 2018
    Black Mirror has a lot of potential to be a good game with the story. There’s an interesting mystery to uncover that is compelling even if it isn’t real new. That potential is pulled short however by a lot of technical issues that can take away immersion and in some cases, ruin the game entirely.
  3. Jan 1, 2018
    Even as a hardcore fan of point & click adventures, you’ll still have a hard time adopting to Black Mirror. Broken gameplay and disappointing story is just a small part of its so many issues, and even as a fan of the Black Mirror franchise, playing over the original trilogy seems to be a better option.