7.4

1. Nov 9, 2016
    Fun bosses, but there are only two of them!! The new weapons are balanced and fun. Added much variety to the pvp. Arena also improved the pvp experience a lot, but then that's it.
  2. Oct 26, 2016
    It hurts me to give any Souls title less than a 9 or 10, but for hardcore fans this just won't be enough. I took my time, did everything, and it still only took a couple hours. And while one of the boss fights is pretty great, the other one is mediocre at best. Bottom line is when a dev gives you such stellar DLC as Artorias and Old Hunters, the expectations will always be high. Here'sIt hurts me to give any Souls title less than a 9 or 10, but for hardcore fans this just won't be enough. I took my time, did everything, and it still only took a couple hours. And while one of the boss fights is pretty great, the other one is mediocre at best. Bottom line is when a dev gives you such stellar DLC as Artorias and Old Hunters, the expectations will always be high. Here's hoping the last installment will be up to par. Expand
  3. Oct 27, 2016
    Mediocre at best. This should be a free patch, not paid DLC. This add-on offers not much entertainment and though 1 of the bosses is somewhat difficult - its not worth your money. Basically this dlc have 1 boss (second is just fruitless I can't call him a DS boss) which is fking similar to Lady Maria from Bloodbourne DLC. Even couple of her attacks are the same.

Altogether DLC doesn't

Altogether DLC doesn't add much to the table and that is the real problem there. Yeah the pvp arena is fun for an hour. But it comes nowhere near invasions. It doesn't have any random factor, no surroundings etc. (well it has pillars, but no corners, pits and that stuff)

New weapons are just meh.

Well now all we can do is wait for the next dlc in hope it will deliver at least something.

Last words: It took me 2.10 to complete the DLC though I wasted 1.10 on the last boss. NO TROPHIES FFS
  4. Oct 26, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well. I have to admit that I am totally disappointed. I love Dark Souls and played every titel. All DLCs where great. All DLCs but Ashes of Ariandel. So whats my problem with this one:

1. Too short. Seriously Fromsoftware, 6 hours? For 15€ I actually hoped it would last about 20 hours. But obviously thats not the case. 6 hours seems to me like a joke. Even more when its getting compared to other DLCs and Dark Souls in its whole. Oh and dont forget: You will only get to fight 2 (!) bosses!
    2. The setting. The setting its boring and lacks of ideas. Dont get me wrong, I love snowy landscapes. But in this DLC you wont see anything else. And thats disturbing when you compare it with all the other DS titels. Usually they are full of different ideas, different locations and different types of monsters.
    3. The DLC "goodies". 2 Amorsets (of wich 1 is really totally useless), around 15 weapons or so and 2 rings. Thats it. You just dont finish the game fast, but there is no reason to serach the areas for some hidden items as there are almonst none! Where is all the creativity gone that made Fromsoftware such a great developer. Even the way the levels are designed seems boring. Its missing the DS fealing in which you get lost and somehow come again to the place where you were starting. Seriously, even the last Bossfight doesnt even deserve the name "Boss". No intro movie, just a guy with sword and shield summoning a big wolf. wow.

Still its DS and I love DS. And still it makes fun - for some hours. Thats why I wont rate it even lower. But still - its a huge disappointment and everyone should rethink if its worth buying.
  5. Aug 11, 2017
    The Multiplayer arena is a nice addition and the last Boss is really awesome.
    The DLC is good, but way way too short, thus just a seven.

Just buy the Goty Edition of DS3 and play all stuff in one go. The second DLC is way better.
  6. Mar 13, 2019
    I quiet enjoyed this DLC even it wasn't that interesting like the rest of DS3. But the bosses were totally disappointing. A wolf with a random dude. And a girl with a scythe (so again a snow world in dark souls with a scythe-girl... i really don't understand the hype about this boss) to be honest father Ariandel was kinda cool but that's it.
  7. Jan 22, 2017
    Ouch, this one hurt a little bit. I am totally willing to give FS the benefit of the doubt, but I am not sure what they were thinking when they released this. It just doesn't fit the quality standards Dark Souls fans are so familiar with. I did everything pretty fast, and I was even being super thorough. I never thought I would live to see the day I would give something from DarkOuch, this one hurt a little bit. I am totally willing to give FS the benefit of the doubt, but I am not sure what they were thinking when they released this. It just doesn't fit the quality standards Dark Souls fans are so familiar with. I did everything pretty fast, and I was even being super thorough. I never thought I would live to see the day I would give something from Dark Souls anything less than an 8, but again I am willing to give FS the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they are stretched thin right now. We do know (at least I am pretty sure we do) that they are working on a new IP, so I could see them being tight with resources right now. I can't say that Ashes ISN'T worth your time because it is. I just don't know if it is worth it's current price point. Expand
  8. Mar 9, 2017
    Ashes of Ariandel is a short but sweet expansion of Dark Souls 3. It delivers a fantastic final boss and has a wonderful world to explore, but it is so short in duration and content that it makes questioning the talent of Fromsoft all the more important. I can say in confidence that out of all the Souls' DLCs, this is by far the weakest. This does not mean it is bad, but it is a hardAshes of Ariandel is a short but sweet expansion of Dark Souls 3. It delivers a fantastic final boss and has a wonderful world to explore, but it is so short in duration and content that it makes questioning the talent of Fromsoft all the more important. I can say in confidence that out of all the Souls' DLCs, this is by far the weakest. This does not mean it is bad, but it is a hard bargain to recommend if you are not a Souls fan or think $15 bucks is okay for this (which I will admit it is not). Expand
  9. Jul 15, 2020
    DARK SOULS III: ASHES OF ARIANDEL
    .........................................................................
  10. Jan 31, 2019
    I do not want to write a great review for this DLC. Just want to say that the location itself is pretty interesting. For the winter did many times in past games of the series. There are two bosses here, one boring and easy. The second interesting and very difficult. Personally, I liked this DLC less than Ringed City, but still I advise this DLC to those who liked the original game and want more.
  11. Jun 24, 2019
    Kind of a cool world, but kind of not. The story of the area is interesting but nothing amazing. None of the characters really stand out as special to me. The final boss is a really cool but extremely frustrating encounter. The other boss is pretty lame, though the area you fight in is beautiful. The new weapons and stuff are pretty cool. Overall really meh for a Souls game.
  12. Aug 27, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its a nice little add-on, and provides some more depth and lore to the main game. However there really isn't that much content. The bosses are interesting too, but really only Sister Friede stands out, and is easily one of the most hardest bosses ive versed in the souls series ever. This dlc at least ties into 'The Ringed City DLC,' so that and Sister Friede make this DLC relevant, however the price could make you think twice about purchasing it, as it is way to high for this little content Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 26 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 31, 2017
    In the penultimate addition to the Dark Souls series (the next DLC will be the last, and thus, the end of the series ' sure.. sure it will be'), we see From Software's usually brilliance peeking through, but the Painted World of Ariandal, while worthy of the Dark Souls name, just isn't their best work. I don't doubt for a second that the final DLC will knock the series out of the park in legendary fashion, but this first Dark Souls III expansion feels a little lost in the blizzard.
  2. CD-Action
    Jan 12, 2017
    It saddens me to see the game that stole more of my time than I’m willing to admit turn into a self-parody. Ashes of Ariandel is like a covers playlist prepared by someone who has never heard the original recordings. Its only truly valuable moment is the wonderful last boss fight. [13/2016, p.48]
  3. Games Master UK
    Jan 1, 2017
    It feels like From Software phone this one in. As DLC for the Souls series goes, this is a disappointment. [Christmas 2016, p.69]