6.5

1. Jun 2, 2016
    What can I say its good to be back on the island even though old problems are gone and new ones have popped up its still enjoyable as it was back in 2011 so let get on the cruise and head to Banoi shall we?

Story: NO SPOILERS the story for both Dead island and Riptide where never that big of a deal or that complicated you wake up with the worst hangover and suddenly the whole island is overrun by the undead and you have to find a way off. The story wasn't the main focus on the games and you'll see it when you play but there are a few heart pullers in their just not as much as I would have hoped for. Most of the quests are fetch quests and protect quest but for me its still very fun.

Gameplay: Best part of the game by far. You have 4 characters to play as each with their own special skill trees adding an RPG element to each character the only problem with the 4 character is that 1 character is specialized in Guns and in the game guns are very rare and hard to come by and so a character specializing in Guns really wasn't the best choice in my opinion. There are lots of weapons on the island which you can use from rusty pipes to katanas and with blueprints that you acquire over time you can upgrade them to do special damage such as a flame mod which adds fire damage to a baseball bat and so on and so forth. The gameplay is what you'll be coming back for because its so much fun just to bash all the skulls in.

Performance/Graphics: Both games run at 1080p 30fps and its very stable I know alot of people would have preferred that it be 60 fps but honestly I can play games that are both 30 and 60 the only thing i care about is if its stable and it is so im happy with it. Now on to the bad stuff the game still has glitches and bugs and i hope in the future they will patch them out. The most annoying of these issues is the audio problems in Co-op the audio shorts out to where you can only hear music and no sound affects also the cars you drive are now lacking tire screeching noise like they did in the original so the driving sounds really weird. When you kill a zombie they have no facial expression this might be a personal thing but I just find it weird and also every time you behead a zombie the zombies head will go bald even if they had hair prior to the beheading. A couple of beachballs are scattered around the resort but for some reason have been nailed to ground even though in the original you could kick them and could cause damage to the undead. I just hope in time they patch these out, none of these are game breaking but they are just annoying at least to me they are. The graphics are more beautiful and realistic then ever before and you'll see it as soon as you hop into the game though what they did to the water is up for debate.

The beginning of a Legend:Now alot of people compare this to dying light and rightfully so they were all made by the same developer and Dead island and riptide were both their first major releases, But too often people say that dead island suck and to just get Dying light instead well im here to say that Dead island does not suck at all and is a very god game, Dead island came out in 2011 and riptide 2 years later, they took what they learned from dead island and made dying light which is an awesome game but dead island doesn't deserve all the hate is gets because without dead island dying light would have never happened. There are a few things I enjoy more in dead island that I did in dying light but both offer something unique and I love them both.

Personal Thoughts/Verdict: Even though the game still suffers from bugs its still good to go back to the roots of a legendary game that made headlines and ive enjoyed my time back on the blood soaked island my final verdict is a 8 out of 10 hopefully they patch out the remaining bugs but until then ill have fun just like i did many years ago in 2011. I hope my review was helpful to you have a nice day
  2. Jun 4, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i really like this game , i dont have play dead island on ps3 but i can say , this is a very fun game , the graphics are really great the gameplay is extremely soft . it is a big game , you can spend a lot of hours since you can do endless upgrades on your skills and on your equipment . it is really look like like dying light but for me this is better because it has not so many conversations , it is more about killing and action . i dont believe this game deserve just a 6 and is really sad for me to realise that people dont give a **** about any game , people just go with the famous brands like call of duty or battlefield or any game created by a well known developer and honestly this games goes worst and worst especially call of duty and trust me they sell millions , black ops 3 was the worst on reviews and the best seller game of 2015 at the same time , i mean this is ridiculous. it is a shame for real.. i give just an 8 because i expect a 10 for the dead island 2 which is coming soon . Expand
  3. Oct 18, 2018
    Maybe that's not remastered well, however this is amazing game anyway, and by the end of the day that is most important. 9,5+/10.
  4. Jun 2, 2016
    If you liked dead island on last gen, you'll like it on current gen, it really boils down to that. The graphics are substantially improved and the game is nice to look at, but that's all that has really changed.
  5. Jun 1, 2016
    A download code for Riptide - really? My internet connection is pathetic so downloading this game is not an option for me so I paid for one game technically speaking. Not impressed deep silver because you should have included 2 discs instead of one if space was an issue. Lame lame lame.
  6. Jun 3, 2016
    This was my absolute favorite game (till dying light)! I have to say with the new release for the PS4 I was excited to play again as my xbox is very old. I noticed some small changes, graphics are much better, but the main thing is I can't believe they changed my favorite weapon from a "kick@#$ home run baseball bat" that makes the zombies fly, to something that barely moves them andThis was my absolute favorite game (till dying light)! I have to say with the new release for the PS4 I was excited to play again as my xbox is very old. I noticed some small changes, graphics are much better, but the main thing is I can't believe they changed my favorite weapon from a "kick@#$ home run baseball bat" that makes the zombies fly, to something that barely moves them and just makes the zombies light up.......so beyond disappointed. I kid you not, that weapon......made the game for me. Expand
  7. May 31, 2016
    esta buenisimo, lo unico mejor que este juego son los videos de dos perritos bien curadas y coquetos llamados max y rocko, los pueden encontrar en youtube. max rocko .
  8. Jan 31, 2018
    Dead island is one of those games i loved while knowing its pretty average,but hey ,it's my opinion and that counts!
    positive
    + pretty nice graphics + combat feels good + good characters which have skill trees that are pretty nice worked out + overall really fun to play + you can upgrade weapons ,which is cool + cheap for its amount of content negative - boring story which i
    positive
    + pretty nice graphics
    + combat feels good
    + good characters which have skill trees that are pretty nice worked out
    + overall really fun to play
    + you can upgrade weapons ,which is cool
    + cheap for its amount of content
    negative
    - boring story which i didn't care about
    - the game does get repetitive after a while
    - i feel like the zombie ai could have been done better
    conclusion:
    don't expect a last of us kind of game ,but expect a fun dying light kind of game where you don't give a damn about the story but care about the fun
  9. Oct 11, 2016
    Very well done. Riptide is BAD, but this one is really well done and fun. They improved performances with better hardware, so we don't have poor performance parts like on PS3. Everything else is made OK. Platinum does not require too much coop which is good.
  10. Sep 9, 2016
    Sure, it may not be as scary as it was on release, but it is sillier than ever, and extremely fun, do you want to run around as a black dude bashing in zombie brains? Go for it! Wanna bring 3 friends along who all coincidentally all choose Sam B, the black dude in the original game, go for it!

Wanna play Riptide? Never played it, but it's probably fun if it's dead island. Seriously

Wanna play Riptide?
    Never played it, but it's probably fun if it's dead island.
    Seriously I'm not spending $20 on more recent nostalgia (nostalgia because I can no longer play it on my 360 due to a broken disc reader) for a game I never played.

But at least get Defenitive edition, if you're feeling particularly saucy, get the whole Definitive Collection, which also includes riptide.
    But at least get the DI:DE, best experience ever, plus it includes all previous DLC so you don't need to pay to access the arena, you can play Ryder White's campaign, and have the DLC content from the original game.
  11. Jun 7, 2016
    My review of Dead Island Definitive Collection for the PS4

Pro Fun “Guilty Pleasure” Gameplay - Like Dying Light before Dead Island Definitive Collection is a fun open world game. I definitely like the action RPG & experience-based gameplay. I also like how the game focuses on melee weapons and not so much on firearms. The stamina bar add a new twist to this zombie game because every
    My review of Dead Island Definitive Collection for the PS4

Pro

Fun “Guilty Pleasure” Gameplay - Like Dying Light before Dead Island Definitive Collection is a fun open world game. I definitely like the action RPG & experience-based gameplay. I also like how the game focuses on melee weapons and not so much on firearms. The stamina bar add a new twist to this zombie game because every time you run, jump, or swing your melee weapon you stamina bar drains (it refill automatically when your not doing the three things I just mention). I also like how you have to keep an eye on your melee weapon because every time you use them (when you hit an zombie) it wears out and it won’t be effect so you will be repairing them a lot (they can also be upgraded and you can add modded to them like nails or even poison).

All Three games - One this I like about the collection is that you are getting three games in this package You’ll get the first Dead Island game, the follow up Dead Island Riptide and a fun side-scrolling game called Dead Island: Retro Revenge> so for a package its not that bad considering that both Dead Island and Riptide have plenty of content along with all of it’s DLC.

Cheap - Not bad price for this collection. Its about $40 and if this is your first time playing the Dead Island games (like me) then it’s worth taking a look at.

Cons

Dying Light Is Better - Although I did enjoyed Dead Island Definitive Collection (and I still do). When compare to Techland new game Dying Light I have to say Dying Light is the better game because of it improve gameplay, leveling up system and visually speaking Dying Light look way better then the Dead Island games (the definitive collection doesn’t look bad but it doesn’t look as good as Dying Light).

Sloppy Remaster - I don’t know if this apply to the Xobxone version but as far as physical copy goes I know the PS4 version has only the original Dead Island on the disc. The other two (Riptide & Retro Revenge) you get from a downloadable code that come with the game. This seen really odd (and downright lazy) considering that Deep Silver (they owns the rights to the Dead Island series) release a game called Metro Redux Bundle 2 years age that had both Metro 2033 & Last Light on one disc.

Overall - Dead Island Definitive Collection is a fun guilty pleasure of a game. It may not be as strong as Dying Light is but an enjoyable game. If this os your first time (like me) playing the Dead Island games then its worth taking a look at considering your getting $40 worth of content. However the way they handled the PS4 port might turn some people off (where you have to use a downloadable code that comes with the physical copy in order to play Riptide and Retro Revenge).
  12. Jun 11, 2017
    Play it co-op. If you don't have buddies to play with, don't bother.

Play it co-op. If you don't have buddies to play with, don't bother.

This game is silly fun, but only when you have others with you to share the frustrating aspects of it all. Firstly, it's absolutely riddled with bugs, where you might suddenly die for no reason from full health, weapons disappearing if your inventory is full, graphical glitches, and getting stuck behind obstacles and NPC's.

In the multiplayer mode, there are a bunch of silly design flaws that are just frustrating. Taking up and finishing a quest is not shared between all players, and you have to communicate verbally what you did. As above, trading an item with full inventory will result in that item being destroyed back to ether. Waypoints are not shared between all players, and so forth.

Lastly, the abysmal frame rate in the remake (30fps I believe) combined with the screen blurring when running gives me a headache after a while.

Bottom line, there are better single player zombie games out there, but for the price this collection is at, it is a very decent co-op venture.
  13. Jun 5, 2016
    Honestly, the game is not that bad. I can see how the PS3 version was bad with its technical flaws. I like that you can pick between characters. I love the location but I hate having narrow passages.

For the price, I think it's worth picking it for fun. Especially if you never played Dead Island and you enjoy Dying Light. Not as good as Dying Light but it's alright on a free time and for those of you who like zombies and RPGs.
  14. Jul 24, 2019
    The original was no exemplar of fun gameplay and this "Definitive Edition" is no better. In fact it somehow manages to be worse because they altered some things that made the original at least tolerable, so it ends up being even worse somehow. If they'd just left it at porting it with literally no changes then I'd at least understand that, but Deep Silver seemed determined to outdoThe original was no exemplar of fun gameplay and this "Definitive Edition" is no better. In fact it somehow manages to be worse because they altered some things that made the original at least tolerable, so it ends up being even worse somehow. If they'd just left it at porting it with literally no changes then I'd at least understand that, but Deep Silver seemed determined to outdo themselves in making digital garbage. I'm only glad I got this trash for 5 bucks instead of the insane 30 they'd normally ask for. Expand
  15. Feb 13, 2019
    Still the same dead island I remember, fun with friends and also solo. Riptide is still the same, which is very bad.
  16. Nov 2, 2019
    One of my fave games that got a lazy remaster and still seems as bug filled as the original versions (on 360/PC). The story tries to be serious, but always came across as cheesy with poorly developed characters. Graphically still looks nice for a old game. Yeah some nice lighting, particle and weather effects.

The melee and ranged combat still as fun as ever and more satisfying than

The melee and ranged combat still as fun as ever and more satisfying than it's spiritual successor Dying Light. The ability to mod and use weapons with elemental effects never gets old. The survival mechanics are a still basic and the near instant respawn of zombies/loot is constantly immersion breaking. So leave the brain off when playing this one. Dumb over the top fun for sure.
  17. Nov 14, 2017
    This is a good remastered version of Dead Island on ps4 and xbox one, The graphics are a lot better and the gameplay is fun solo and co-op. the performance is a lot better than on the ps3/xbox 360 and the leveling/upgrading is very fun. I think it is one of the best zombie games available for next-gen
  18. Mar 6, 2018
    The original game was one of my favorites when it released but the remaster adds nothing to the game with very little graphical upgrades. For new players, the combat is fun but the characters and boring and generic.
  19. Oct 1, 2019
    eh i mean its good but at the same time it needs a bit more updates..........
  20. Jun 21, 2020
    I must admit for all of this games glaring flaws I love this game, it's just dumb fun... I love zombie games and this one ticks a lot of my boxes.
    An ok story that holds itself together enough to limp the game along, it's the gameplay that makes the game enjoyable, I had it on the 360, then steam and now ps4...
  21. Aug 16, 2020
    لعبة عادية قصتها مكررة ومستهلكة فهي لم تقدم جديدا فلو نظرنا إلى لعبة ذا لات أوف أس فهي لنفس الموضوع وهو الزمبي لكن اللعبة الأخيرة استطاعت أن تقدم قصة جيدة على عكس هذه اللعبة
    ونظام اللعب بها ينقصه الكثير مثل تفادي ضربات الزمبي بالقفز وغيرها من الأمور
    ونظام اللعب بها ينقصه الكثير مثل تفادي ضربات الزمبي بالقفز وغيرها من الأمور

Mixed or average reviews - based on 32 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Aug 24, 2016
    Do the right thing and get spiritual sequel Dying Light, plus all its DLC, instead. [September 2016, p75]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Jul 17, 2016
    A festering corpse given an unnecessary kiss of life. [Aug 2016, p.93]
  3. Jun 21, 2016
    A competent collection which vastly improves the two Dead Island games included, adding a third game which can be fun in short bursts. Both Dead Island and Dead Island Riptide never looked better, with a slew of technical enhancements and solid performance which makes revisiting both titles quite enjoyable. Most the gameplay issues, however, haven't been addressed, so those who couldn't stand the original releases won't change their opinions with the remastered releases. Solid games, for sure, but not for everyone.