7.9

1. Mar 20, 2020
    Going to give the game a 0 out of ten because there are some serious issues that should of been addressed before release and because this game is nothing but a stupid jumping simulator. 90 percent of the game the player is required to jump through this an that an swing around like a damn monkey. Just because you add a new feature to the game doesn't mean you should utilize it to the pointGoing to give the game a 0 out of ten because there are some serious issues that should of been addressed before release and because this game is nothing but a stupid jumping simulator. 90 percent of the game the player is required to jump through this an that an swing around like a damn monkey. Just because you add a new feature to the game doesn't mean you should utilize it to the point of overkill where that is all your players are doing. They dropped the ball massively here. I am playing on a 65" LG HDR tv not a cheap tv with the viewing set at 110 for the FOV on a brand new ps4 pro an I am constantly having stuttering in all of my lateral movements. This issue alone has cause me to lower the difficulty because the harder difficulty the easier you die an when you can't move an you are constantly being frozen for a split second here an there you just get killed because the game has a flaw in the movement. On top of that I cannot stand sh!ty pull this lever an you have a few seconds to get to this challenges more so when the movement of the character is flawed for whatever reason. On top of this their are way to many collectables in the game an I dont feel like being a damn acrobat to collect this crap, I would of preferred a more detailed environment that has objects hidden then trying to make the Doom slayer a circus preformer.

Don't get me wrong I love the Gun play but then when you have to constantly switch items by taking your thumb off the joy stick in order to tap on a analog this causes you to become dependent upon whatever you have equipped most of the time because you need to keep moving to stay alive. This probably is no issue for mouse an keyboard but on a controller its very flawed an I think had they thought about this when making the game they could of not added so many new items to make you like the predator with shoulder mounted grenades amd kept it simple .

Also the only things they seem to of done is nerf the doom slayer while boosting the demons by giving them bullet sponge health even after taking out their weak points, the shotgun is nerfed to hardly do any damage so it seems unless its to basic demons. They added a ton of abilities for guns yet on a controller their are to many to try an switch during combat to an effective way unless they greatly increase the slow time effect while choosing the weapon.

Its becoming rather boring already after about 12 hours in because its pretty much acrobatic BS to find your way around a level an to collect all the collectables so you can collect other collectibles.

I cannot say that I enjoy this game as much as I did Doom 2016 because they seem to of tried to add so many new things that it ruined it pretty much, had they kept the same gun play without adding in all these extra features to try an wow the players I think they would of done better but all things swinging around like a ape BS has me pretty much thinking the game is a steaming puke compared to the previous iteration. Fan boys will probably want to flame me but I was really looking forward to this game an I feel like it missed the mark because they didn't follow the KISS method of game development an they over thought it all so it doesn't feel like a doom game to me but a knock off of one.

I would say this is probably not a good game for people who have accessibility issues or arthritis.

For now I will leave my rating where it is an see if they fix the movement issue an for future iteration I hope they try not to mimic other games or scifi items.

The longer I play this game the worse it gets, the devs lack any ability to be creative with their enemy AI the best their dumb @sses can come up with it lets give everything a **** shield an make it move real fast an give the players no ammo. Going to to avoid ever bying another doom game again now way to go **** idiots.

The multiplayer is trash as well you can't use the same abilities as in the game the bfg does no dmg unless you score a direct hit on a player demon, then you start off with hardly any ammo while the player demons can constantly summon demons to attack you an since no one uses a mic even when you play as a demon the **** idiots get killed because they try to solo the slayer. All in all the game is **** all around just like hugo martins idea of being a swinging monkey.
  2. Mar 29, 2020
    - Unnecessary rock paper scissor mechanic in a shooter.
    - Always low on ammo in order to enforce the first point. - Infinite spawn of enemies in order to address the second point.
    - Unnecessary rock paper scissor mechanic in a shooter.

Essentially a mess of a game trying to create a “thinking man’s action game” (said by the lead dev) out of what should be adrenaline focused, fast pace action. Ultimately what comes down to is that it doesn’t accomplish its own objective either because you will be just memorizing weaknesses and prioritize the high targets while keeping few fodders around for ammo instead of killing them indiscriminately like a Doom Slayer should be. They created a terrible mechanic for a game that didn’t need it. And to create the said delusion, they limit your ammo and your freedom to play. And to solve the low ammo issue, they introduced another dumb mechanic of infinitely respawning enemies. This approach is akin to say, The Elder Scrolls Six game hypothetically forcing players to do the main quest line first in order to promote “story driven game” by devs—destroying what made the previous series great. 0/10 to balance the fanboys.
  3. Mar 21, 2020
    Meh...It hasn't impressed me much. If you are expecting as good or better than Doom 2016, this is not going to deliver. Very disappointed. Graphics are cartoonish, too much damn jumping. Ammo management was irritating, although not impossible. This was a waste of my Saturday and 60 bucks.
  4. Apr 3, 2020
    God. I hate this game so much. A game is supposed to be fun, not filling you up with rage and frustration, wanting to break the entire f**ing house.

Worst enemy and idea in the game: MARAUDER. Seriously just fire whoever came out with this guy.
  5. Mar 22, 2020
    Dear top Zenimax executives! Please fire those "genius" people who decided to strip Doom player of ammo, and force him to run after mobs with chainsaw to get some. This completely destroys the gameplay, this is anything but NOT a legendary shooter game any more. This is not a Doom which I enjoyed since 1994. I played Doom 2016 with pleasure but I can't play this Mario Doom any more, andDear top Zenimax executives! Please fire those "genius" people who decided to strip Doom player of ammo, and force him to run after mobs with chainsaw to get some. This completely destroys the gameplay, this is anything but NOT a legendary shooter game any more. This is not a Doom which I enjoyed since 1994. I played Doom 2016 with pleasure but I can't play this Mario Doom any more, and I'm going for moneyback. Expand
  6. Mar 29, 2020
    Boring, repetitive. Brain-dead game for brain-dead people. Another example of all hype and no substance. Casual game for Casual gamers.
  7. Mar 30, 2020
    Doom Eternal is the most disappointing game I have ever played. The platforming is a disaster, the UI is garish and counter-intuitive, the cutscenes exist, melee probably should have been removed if they were gonna make it this weak. The dash, while good in theory makes normal movement feel slow which is exactly the opposite of how Doom should feel. And finally, the ammo management.Doom Eternal is the most disappointing game I have ever played. The platforming is a disaster, the UI is garish and counter-intuitive, the cutscenes exist, melee probably should have been removed if they were gonna make it this weak. The dash, while good in theory makes normal movement feel slow which is exactly the opposite of how Doom should feel. And finally, the ammo management. The max ammo you can hold has been cut by more than half since Doom 2016. Insecure fanboys will shout (and I mean SHOUT) all kinds of justifications about this at you, but the fundamental issue is this: Doom eternal wants you play the game a very specific way. For all the talk about how it's "strategic" it forces you to adopt one very specific strategy--use all the ammo in all your guns then hunt down trash demon and chainsaw it for more ammo. There's two problems with this. First, I don't want to be forced into a specific way of playing the game. Second, the game does a TERRIBLE job telling you that that's the intended way to play and even worse job encouraging it. If you're going to make killing imps/possessed the name of the game, you should make it so they don't stop spawning until the big baddies are dead. And should make sure that they aren't on the other side of the arena than the mini-boss enemies. Having to turn around and sprint away from a mancubus so I can chainsaw an imp in some odd corner of the arena isn't just a limiting design decision; it's an objectively bad one and on that runs counter to the supposed "keep pushing forward nature of Doom."

Again, the fanboys who can't stand hearing their precious criticized will tell you that this is so you can't rely on one weapon, but you don't need an ammo limit to do that anyway. The devs did a great job ensuring that each weapon has it's uses, you can't ignore any of them. In fact, the ammo limit hurts here, because often you're forced to use less-than-ideal weapons simply because they're the only ones with ammo.
  8. Mar 23, 2020
    I started out having an absolute blast playing the campaign but as you get towards the end it becomes less and less fun and more of a trial. You’ll notice that as you progress and get more powerful weapons and upgrades, you somehow become easier to kill. The combat is so focused on forcing you to desperately need ammo, health and armor that the focus on Demon slaying takes a back seat andI started out having an absolute blast playing the campaign but as you get towards the end it becomes less and less fun and more of a trial. You’ll notice that as you progress and get more powerful weapons and upgrades, you somehow become easier to kill. The combat is so focused on forcing you to desperately need ammo, health and armor that the focus on Demon slaying takes a back seat and you just run around the map, plinking away at the bigger demons while searching for small ones to glory kill for health, chainsaw for ammo or burn for more armor. It gets to the point of just being stupid. I’m at the Taras Nabad level and it’s become so irritating that I’ve lost any desire to keep playing. This garbage mechanic carries over to multiplayer as well making it a cakewalk to win as a demon. I played 4 games. One as the slayer and the rest as demons. 4 games is a total of 12 rounds. In 12 rounds I only saw the slayer kill 1 demon and that slayer was me. Unfortunately you have to kill both to win a round.
    I’m done writing about this massive disappointment. I REALLY regret buying this.
  9. Mar 29, 2020
    I hate Eternal's design decision, which I will fully qualify as authoritarian, gamey and wooden. It feels like cheap design. There's no flow and by the time you get to the end of the game, you are cycling through the same stuff all the time anyway because there's no choice other than max out your dps and get armor in the process.

I loved 2016 and having finished Eternal, the gameplay

I loved 2016 and having finished Eternal, the gameplay isn't the only issue I have with it :

Invisible walls everywhere. The levels read horribly in that regard and the level design is as limiting as the gameplay.
    2016 got flanderized in Eternal. The story is a joke. The tone is one big fourth-wall break. 2016's story was far, far more powerful and its tone very successfully skirting the line between meta-commentary and subtle. VEGA being saved, the tension with Hayden, the absolute, rorschach-level slaughter of demons, all of it was amazing. Eternal feels like that cook that doesn't get that seasoning is all about restraint and having just the right amount and instead emptying jugfuls of salt and pepper onto it because "people liked it last time". They took the fun quip about "mortally challenged" and hammered it over and over, as if the writer was going "Hey, that was funny last time, right? Right?"
    Two third of the levels don't sell anything about the world, they make you feel nothing. The only ones that did anything were the ones in that elder-maykr-sentinel ancient thing-setting that only managed to be beautiful. Levels exist to be traversed in Eternal whereas in 2016 they elicited both story and a sense of place despite the comparatively much-more limiting Mars UAC setting.

And of course, the gameplay. I want to run and shot at stuff, and I balk at the defense of the new mechanics as "skill". Quake 3 didn't require a chainsaw to reload.
  10. Mar 26, 2020
    After the masterpiece that was Doom 2016, I've been positively rabid to get my hands on this game. My disappointment knows few bounds. When I play Doom, I want to, you know, kill tons of demons. Imagine my surprise when I'm spending my time in jumping puzzle after jumping puzzle with controls and traction ill-suited for the task. So I find myself slowly slogging through the game forAfter the masterpiece that was Doom 2016, I've been positively rabid to get my hands on this game. My disappointment knows few bounds. When I play Doom, I want to, you know, kill tons of demons. Imagine my surprise when I'm spending my time in jumping puzzle after jumping puzzle with controls and traction ill-suited for the task. So I find myself slowly slogging through the game for the story. That is, I would be had I not been utterly defeated by one of the jumping puzzles. A game with the name "Doom" shouldn't have the story as it's main feature, nor should a frustrating jumping puzzle be the end of the game for a (former) fan of the series. Sorry, Id, I'm just not impressed. Expand
  11. Mar 23, 2020
    Without a doubt one of the worst games of 2020 so far. Don't spend more than $20 on it. Seriously, it's really bad.
  12. Mar 25, 2020
    Do you want to become an expert in running out of ammo? Do you want to become the ‘god’ of looking for weak demons to perform lame glory kills on for ammo, whilst running away from demons who are supposed to be terrified of you. Do you want to go through the same challenges to get the same weapon upgrades for the same weapons as Doom 2016? Do you want to have sudden, and unexplained plotDo you want to become an expert in running out of ammo? Do you want to become the ‘god’ of looking for weak demons to perform lame glory kills on for ammo, whilst running away from demons who are supposed to be terrified of you. Do you want to go through the same challenges to get the same weapon upgrades for the same weapons as Doom 2016? Do you want to have sudden, and unexplained plot developments that just ‘happen’ because they need it to to have an excuse to move the story on?

Do you want to lose everything that made Doom 2016 amazing and keep everything bad about it, with some awful high speed additions? WELCOME to Doom Eternal, where you can do all of these. Eternal is one of the biggest letdowns I’ve ever had, and I played Fallout 76....

Glory kills are lame as can be and have no real ‘glory’ about them they’re literally just easy ways of getting ammo which is like gold dust, you’re CONSTANTLY running out. And I mean constantly. The super shotgun when fully loaded with fully upgraded ammo capacity holds 22 shells, the super shotgun fires two at once so actually you only have 11 shots. 11 shots on the most iconic gun in the game.....
    I cannot explain with just words and no video how lazy the designers have been with creating new glory kills and new equipment. The ‘flame belch’ which is about 1.5 seconds of fire with a 5 foot range is one of the most over-sold lame weapons I have ever seen. The grenades are now in the form of pointless frost Grenade, and moderately useful frag. Both of which aren’t thrown anymore just fired from a shoulder mounted cannon, all to make sure your hands are free to not-fire your guns because they’re all out of ammo.

All of the weapon upgrades are identical to Doom 2016, and have had no upgrades, updates or additional abilities. The challenges to get them are exactly the same. The ‘boss’ fights are again insanely dull, the ‘Gladiator’ boss? Seriously? You have the entire scope of demonic hellish creatures and you make a dull and lazy version of a character that’s been done in numerous other franchises? The ‘puzzles’ of movement and getting around aren’t as irritating as some are saying, but they’re not puzzles that require thinking and skill and trial and error, they’re puzzles that literally just take you trying and trying and trying to time the double jump or the boost. It truly is ironic that a game about hellish creatures, should itself be an absolutely hellish experience. I kept on playing and playing HOPING that maybe it will progress, maybe I’ll get new abilities and new guns, and maybe next level it’ll change, maybe next level and then it was the last level and it was over. What a letdown. Why they needed extra time to release this I am sure I do not know. It doesn’t take 6 months to press copy and paste. Doom Eternal is everything bad about Doom 2016 and nothing good. It’s guilty of an even bigger crime however. Doom Eternal, is just plain lazy.
    Mar 31, 2020
    What an absolute joke. This is 20 seconds of doom following by a game chase the imp so you have something to shoot. Terrible. 0/10
  14. Mar 20, 2020
    During arena battles you're constantly out of ammunition which puts the whole fight on pause. Then in-between those you're forced to do first-person platforming which basically interrupts you getting to the next battle (FPS platforming has never worked and never will). These two major design flaws combine into one horribly paced game. Not sure what happened here, the first one (Doom 2016)During arena battles you're constantly out of ammunition which puts the whole fight on pause. Then in-between those you're forced to do first-person platforming which basically interrupts you getting to the next battle (FPS platforming has never worked and never will). These two major design flaws combine into one horribly paced game. Not sure what happened here, the first one (Doom 2016) had it right. Expand
  15. L32
    Mar 21, 2020
    Beautiful graphics and excellent soundtracks, but core gameplay is simply not enjoyable for me.
  16. Mar 21, 2020
    Let me start by saying i loved Doom 2016 the story was great and left you asking many questions and excited for eternal to answer them....THEY DO NOT! Eternal is nothing but a mass shoot fest with a wish wash story that leave you with MORE questions and answered NOTHING from the 2016 game.

a few from 2016 are: -what happened to doom guy where did he get warped to? -what happened to

a few from 2016 are:
    -what happened to doom guy where did he get warped to?
    -what happened to Hayden when he walked away with your sword at the end.

and MORE added in eternal:
    -HOW THE HELL did u get a fortress
    -how did u get off mars
    -how and why is VEGA working in your suit n helping you?
    -how did the demonds get to earth
    -how and why is hayden split in two what happened!?!?!
    -where are all the people and ristance fighters?
    -how the hell did the deamonds build a huge ♥♥♥ fortess in artica in a matter im hrs!?!?!

I dont know what bathesda is doing over there but there past few games have been nothing but train wrecks...and for me this is the LAST nail in the coffin for me and there games...its obvious there lack of story telling the past few games fallout 76 and now this they dont give a ♥♥♥♥ about people who play there games for story....only the mindless shooter fortnite/cod/ playerbase.

game itself is not worth the price it is now...to me its a $20 game. no more no less...the gunplay is bland n boring click shoot, press e, chainsaw repeat...and when you get your sword that ADDS one more button press...v! The people complaining about ammo....i never had a issue chainsaw n bang! full ammo. Now dont get me started on the platforming...WHAT A STUPID addition! Most of the time i was raging just because i had to do this stupid ♥♥♥♥....

We all know Bathesda will be themselves and say "oh we had a overwhelming response to ppl loving this game!" just like they did with fallout 76...and to why i didnt write a review is because i dont own the game on steam. but i can tell u this now that i finished it i got a refund on it because it is not worth my money.
  17. Mar 20, 2020
    I loved doom 2016 but sadly, this does not feel the same, it's a shadow of its former self. It feels like it was made by fans rather than creators, and what's worse, seems to be following the trends of other FPS games, rather than making its own path like before
  18. Apr 2, 2020
    An Abomination..
    They screwed this one up badly. Many design choices the devs made here did not sit right with me at all. The flow and mechanics from the previous Doom have been almost completely ruined and destroyed beyond repair. Could barely even force myself to finish the game.
    An Abomination..
    The gameplay is tedious, slower movement, no crouch, monotonous and cramped arenas, constant -forced-teleporting to enemies to execute kills and refill ammo every few seconds. Badly designed platforming sections and vertical areas.
    The list goes on.. a story which they are trying to tell is told very poorly (as opposed to the much better minimalist approach from 2016), level and map designs are also a serious downgrade from 2016, graphics and artstyle , just the tone of the game in general are overly bright and cartoonish with hardly any convincing gore or horror elements to speak of. Garish and obtrusive UI. The music score.. as one of the only remaining redeeming features, still somehow never seems to match the schizophrenic pace of the gameplay.. this time around.

Eternal is overflowing with unnecessary gimmicks. Quantity over quality.

After playing through Eternal, went straight back into the 2016 game to refresh my memory.. The difference is like night and day. Having played through 2016 multiple times, it is a far better game.

Doom Eternal is an average shooter, at best. I am struggling, reaching, to award it a 5 outta 10.. As they've ruined one of the greatest FpS's of all time. . its a Four! Absolutely appalling.
  19. Mar 30, 2020
    What did they do!?!?! Why. The ruined the best shooter ever. I'm so depressed over this.
  20. Mar 29, 2020
    Simply the worst game too linear as crapp old gaming style gets bored after 3 hours into the game dont buy itttt
  21. Apr 1, 2020
    A complete bastardization of everything that made Doom good. Cramped level design that impedes movement, ridiculously low ammo cap (less than 1/2 the ammo of 2016's Doom), teeeeeerrrrrible platforming, cutscenes (yes, really), melee that's worse than useless and the worst UI I've seen this year.
  22. Mar 20, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst than Doom 3 in my opinion, and Doom 3 is not even a proper Doom game, but I had way more fun playing it than this non-doom game.

Let's get the one good thing out of the way quickly: The graphics are stunning. Way better than Doom 2016, and the framerate is so smooth that I have to wonder how the hell did they pull this off. Hats off to whoever made the graphics and the game engine.

The music, is good also but none of the tracks has yet stuck to me. I couldn't get the music of Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 2016 out of my mind, I can't even recall the music from this one. Not bad but not very memorable for me either.

Level design makes ZERO sense: Two titans, which I don't even know what they are at this point, are frozen in place right before one killed the other. I have to find a battery to put into the spear of one of the titans so that the energy lance will active and tear the sternum of the other titan open (mind you both of them are just standing still, like buildings). Then once all the guts spill out, I will jump into the hole in the titan's chest, to go through the titan, exiting through his back (or maybe his butt, I'm not sure), to fall into a platforming section that looks like Goomba's castle from Mario, with spinning chains of fire, enemies all over the place, while you wadle though a swamp with completely hidden tentacles that jump out and hit you while you are trying to shoot at other enemies, cause aparrently players like getting hit by hidden tentacles when they are trying to do something else. Does any of this make any sense to you? Cause it makes no sense to me. This is graphics driven game design: we want two titans in an epic pose, we want Goomba's castle, and we want tentacles, now make a level that has all of these.

The fighting is simply annoying. I have to think: which weapon do I need to use to kill this enemy, where exactly should I hit the enemy (cause weakspots are fun in a doom game), when should I hit them in the weakspot perhaps they need to have their mouth slightly open or it doesn't work and you need to wait, do I have enough ammo to do that or will I run out of ammo at the worst possible moment (there is a serious lack of ammunition compared to every other doom game to force you to use all the weapons), oh and also check if you have armor, cause if you don't you should remember to set the enemy on fire before shooting them so that they drop armor shards for you. Oh and don't over-shoot enemies cause you'll easily lose the glory kill if you shoot them with two more bullets of the assault rifle (compare that with how lax Doom 2016 was when you overshoot a "blue" enemy). Also don't forget that you should not be very excited with the melee cause it sucks now. It's causing pretty much zero damage now unless you have done some glory kills when you get one strong punch that annihilates multiple enemies around you. So don't try to melee any low level creeps unless you are going for a glory kill, otherwise you'll lose that strong punch for no reason.

Gone is the "I'll wreck everything" style of Doom 2016. Not only because of how puzzley fights have become, or how much platforming it now has, but from the second level already, the "doomslayer" bends the knee to someone. What the.... the guy that did not care about a single thing in 2016, now decides to show respect to someone who is telling him off at the same time for caring about humanity. OMG what's next? Discovering that the doomslayer has a character and feelings? Am I still playing Doom here?

I'm not that far in the game but the lore has also gone off the hook. Not sure how they pulled that off but I constantly feel like I'm watching an episode of a series and slowly realizing that I must skipped over the previous episode. But I haven't, I played 2016, I read the lore, and I still don't understand half of what is going on. I'm being guided by green etherial dogs... I'm just lost trying to figure out what is going on when I should be running and gunning.

I'll put difficulty at the lowest setting to speed things up and try to grind through the unbearable fights only because I wasted money on this. Hopefully the lore will be worth it. I was so excited for this game, now I'm more excided about Doom64 that I got for preordering this.

Maybe you'll like this. Apparently many people like it. Just keep in mind that this is not Doom 2016. It is way more complex, you'll be thinking way more instead of enjoying raw violence. The similarities with Doom 2016 are: glory kills exist in both, it's the same universe (but I wouldn't say it's the same doomslayer), some demons exist in both games, and well that's all. The two games feel completely different. I was hoping for more Doom 2016, I got an annoying puzzle shooter.
  23. Mar 20, 2020
    Positives - Music, sound, graphics, mostly smooth gameplay from an 'engine' point of view.

Negatives - Launcher, gameplay itself, multiplayer? Too much platforming and inventory consideration even in the easier difficulty settings vs what Doom was essentially known for. I'd prefer to just get in the lift (ok, so everything is broken so are the lifts) to get to the next rather than

Negatives - Launcher, gameplay itself, multiplayer?

I'd prefer to just get in the lift (ok, so everything is broken so are the lifts) to get to the next rather than learn to do acrobatics or fail and fall to my death I mean lose 20 health err. what? Sure put it in as ways to hide specials/upgrades but not in the get between the current part and the next part of the game.

After playing for a while you realise that you have to get the thing to glow orange and press the right key at the right distance at the right time so you can get the appropriate kind of 'confetti' when the monster dies so you don't run out of ammo/armour/health. I get what they were going for, but it seems more annoying than fun although there's still skill required to do so successfully.

It looks pretty, but some of the tradeoffs are you spend a while trying to work out whether you're meant to be able to jump/climb the thing or not. Some of the collision detection with the environment just seems awkward sometimes. That looks like a ledge I should be able to stand on but you fall off. Haven't played it enough and gave up on it, but got the feeling collision detection was a bit off at times as well.

I haven't played something in the Doom series itself for a quite a while but it seems overly concentrating on the over the top gore/animations because they invested so much in it forced them to change the gameplay to focus on that and therefore made it less fun to play overall.

Multiplayer seemed a bit narrow - no basic deathmatch mode, just a 2v1 specialised mode? It looked interesting but with a high initial investment. Can't comment on it yet. But no apparent way to leap in the action and have fun immediately in multiplayer. Err. What?

Maybe the younger generations are happy with it, it turned out not to be what i was hoping for.
  24. Mar 20, 2020
    This game is supposed to give you complete gameplay freedom yet restricts you so hard with it's lack of ammo and forcing you to use your chainsaw in order to fill up (and when your chainsaw is on CD, you just jump around like a clown waiting for it to refill). That and the fact that they changed the most badass OST of the QuakeCon 2018 showing (called BFG 10000 now) into a generic ear rapeThis game is supposed to give you complete gameplay freedom yet restricts you so hard with it's lack of ammo and forcing you to use your chainsaw in order to fill up (and when your chainsaw is on CD, you just jump around like a clown waiting for it to refill). That and the fact that they changed the most badass OST of the QuakeCon 2018 showing (called BFG 10000 now) into a generic ear rape metal track, is enough for me to give DOOM Eternal a glorious 0/10. People were looking forward to listening to that OST and those damn bufoons completely altered it. DOOM 2016 was badass, this one is trash. Expand
  25. Mar 20, 2020
    I don’t understand how THIS simulator of piano and ammunition collection can be called DOOM.
    No fun, no fun action game, you just run around and try to **** find bullets while the ****ing chainsaw is on cd.
    Absolutely unnecessary puzzle games that break the pace of the game, inadequate number of bugs and softlocks for AAA games.
  26. Mar 21, 2020
    This game is way overhyped. They overcomplicated the weapons mechanics. Constant resource farming is annoying. Demons are bullet sponges unless you aim for weakspots. The platforming is ridiculous, frustrating, and overused. They should've eliminated at least 50% of it before release. It's repetitive and boring after the first hour and the novelty wears off. It looks like a cartoon. InThis game is way overhyped. They overcomplicated the weapons mechanics. Constant resource farming is annoying. Demons are bullet sponges unless you aim for weakspots. The platforming is ridiculous, frustrating, and overused. They should've eliminated at least 50% of it before release. It's repetitive and boring after the first hour and the novelty wears off. It looks like a cartoon. In 2016, we got weapons in cool ways. In Eternal, weapons are floating neon green objects. There's no variety... platform to an arena, fight, platform to a secret, platform to the next arena. And repeat. Expand
  27. Mar 21, 2020
    Three points for the sound track.

They attempt to create a fast past game but end up hyper pacing you out. New area of the map, new enemies? We'll you're gonna face three of them in the same small area. After you die a few times trying to get the rooms rhythm down, and clear it using all the room resources, it re-spawns a number of those new enemies and some farm-able basics. So
    Three points for the sound track.

So you end up in the same room on repeat trying to get the timing just right until you get to a new checkpoint and repeat the same process. You spend more time at the loading screen then playing at each section.

A draw back at the face pace they want to apply and opponents weak spots is you have to constantly move to get swarmed, which increases the likelihood you miss.

So honestly the game is just you getting to a new area, dying until you get the area figured out then repeating the process, and this is on the normal level.

Trying to merge precision and a biz feel make the game play choppy and ruins the pacing. Zone 1, Checkpoint 1 I died probably six times because I couldn't get two seconds to breath to hit the 'weak point' of the enemy without it dropping heavy artillery on me and almost instantly killing me in one volley.

I am currently trying to get a refund.
  28. Mar 22, 2020
    Not for me! I just keep getting killed over and over, it is so frustrating that I have traded it in after 1 day. Game looks and sounds amazing and I get why some people have gave an awesome rating but unfortunately I am terrible at it. I completed doom 2016 and really dont know why I'm so bad this time round
  29. Mar 26, 2020
    Does not play like its predecessors or like Doom at all, for that matter. Looks good, but you will spend 90% of your time dying because you didnt time some multi jump trek across a chasm correctly, not because of combat. Save your money and download Super Mario Brothers for the same effecf.
  30. Mar 26, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible game complicated air maneuvers render the should be fun game irritating and rage inducing 0/10 because of this alone. I would get stuck for 10-30 minutes on jumping maneuvers and have to rely on YouTube to help me. I’m not a “Doom franchise” player but I have over a 4.0 kill death ratio in black ops 4 and am ranked top 3 percent on modern warfare for kills and score per minute. So I’m not an amateur gamer by any means, but this game is too hard for me on the eaziest mode. Ended up smashing my controller to pieces and deleted the game. NOT WORTH 60 DOLLARS!!!!!!! Expand
  31. Mar 31, 2020
    excess parkour
    toxic rainbow colors in a dark shooter
    the need to finish once every 5 seconds
    few rounds
  32. Apr 1, 2020
    Visuals are awesome, the gore side of the game is amazing, glory kills feels powerful but overall the gameplay, the enemies, the thought behind the platforming aspect of the game, the feel of movement, the lack of a crouch option is a HUGE deception for me. Even in combat the lack of ammunition compared to Doom 2016, the lack of speed while going forward without using the dash option thatVisuals are awesome, the gore side of the game is amazing, glory kills feels powerful but overall the gameplay, the enemies, the thought behind the platforming aspect of the game, the feel of movement, the lack of a crouch option is a HUGE deception for me. Even in combat the lack of ammunition compared to Doom 2016, the lack of speed while going forward without using the dash option that needs to recharge is disabilitating. Dont get me wrong some people might like the game, but I doubt this game is as fun and epic as the Hype that preceded it. Not the sequel to the Doom 2016 I was hoping for in any way. Expand
  33. Mar 21, 2020
    The gameplay I encountered was iffy, but I would've given it time. The mandatory jump puzzles, however, killed it for me. When the dash sometimes double-taps or doesn't recharge on landing, even well laid out platforming is difficult. When all the monsters, backgrounds, and jumps blend together so you can't even tell what's going on, gameplay collapses. Colorblind assistance, while a niceThe gameplay I encountered was iffy, but I would've given it time. The mandatory jump puzzles, however, killed it for me. When the dash sometimes double-taps or doesn't recharge on landing, even well laid out platforming is difficult. When all the monsters, backgrounds, and jumps blend together so you can't even tell what's going on, gameplay collapses. Colorblind assistance, while a nice idea, turns undifferentiated blobs into hideous undifferentiated blobs. Combined with bullet-sponge enemies, all these problems have killed the game for me. I'm sorry I wasted my money. Expand
  34. Mar 25, 2020
    I wanted to love this game I really did. Doom 2016 was one of the best first person shooters I've ever played and sits alongside the original Doom and Quake, so I was expecting big things for Doom Eternal. However what was delivered is honestly a mixed bag. (I played Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence)

The positives: -At times some of the most intense, fast paced FPS action delivered in

The positives:
    -At times some of the most intense, fast paced FPS action delivered in years.
    -Amazing visuals, level design, great sound design.
    -Some great homages to the original Doom games.
    -Glory kills.

The negatives:
    -The MARAUDERS. Easily the most frustrating and game breaking enemy I've ever had the displeasure of battling in a game. When you encounter one as a boss you think that's it but these guys later show up as regular enemies in the game. I have beaten Doom 2016 on Nightmare, Metro Exodus on Ranger Hardcore, Devil May Cry on Dante Must Die mode and none compare to the sheer frustration of encountering a Marauder on Doom Eternal. A Marauder makes almost every weapon in your arsenal almost useless and he can block a BFG blast. That's right. A NORMAL non-Boss enemy in a Doom game making the mother of all guns the BFG useless. Expect to die at least 10 times plus whenever one of these Marauders shows up. Expect to have your progress halted and the entire fast paced, fluid flow of Doom Slayer chaos reduced to a stall. The demons are supposed to fear the Doom Slayer yet I honestly end up fearing the Marauder for the frustration he is about to bring upon my game. That's NOT what Doom is supposed to be about. I replayed Doom 2016 several times, sadly I will not be replaying Doom Eternal, mainly because of these game breaking Marauders. Whoever thought the Marauder was a good idea was wrong. Easily the WORST enemy in a Doom game period. Fine for a boss, terrible for a regular enemy.

-Platforming. Is this an Doom game or a Crash Bandicoot game? At times it feels more like the latter with multiple platforming sections which again slow the game to a stall, become frustrating and involve no demon killing. I want to shoot demons not swing on poles and climb walls. I wanted a First Person Shooter not a platformer. Some mild platforming is fine but Doom Eternal has too much.

In conclusion: A mixed bag. At times Doom Eternal feels like the best of Doom and Quake 3 mashed together which is simply amazing yet it is too punctuated with enthusiasm killing enemies (MARAUDER) and platforming sections for Doom Eternal to rise to the top and reach first person shooter nirvana. Don't believe all the paid critic hype. Play for yourself and see.
  35. Mar 25, 2020
    I give this a 2 for two reasons. 1 being the guns are great and 2 being the demons are great. Other than that Doom Eternal disappointed me big time. This game could qualify as a platform game like Mario. I understand that there was going to be platforming in this game but not as much as this. The mechanics are also ass, I have ‘missed’ a ledge or monkey bar not because I wasn’t close,I give this a 2 for two reasons. 1 being the guns are great and 2 being the demons are great. Other than that Doom Eternal disappointed me big time. This game could qualify as a platform game like Mario. I understand that there was going to be platforming in this game but not as much as this. The mechanics are also ass, I have ‘missed’ a ledge or monkey bar not because I wasn’t close, because the game just didn’t work. I died about 30 times trying to activate that 3rd ring right before the Khan boss fight. Why in a game that is known for ripping and tearing do I have to constantly platform idk why. To add to that, mostly every encounter is based on platforming as well. The battle areas are small and you HAVE to use the monkey bars , jump pads, and portals to move around. I tried to just play in the ground and I just get mauled. I personally hate games that require a bunch of maneuvering like that. The main reason I fell in love with doom 2016 was because the ground gameplay was so smooth and well rounded that I was able to perfect it and move onto more harder difficulties. Back to the battle arenas, the khan mayker battle is so stupid. The arena is so small that you have to make an actual effort not to fall off. Also I mentioned earlier the mechanics were buggy, well during this fight you have to use the meat hook on the Khan and as you close in you have to blood punch her. 5/10 my punched acted Like I punched the wall and not an enemy, I was furious. I’m facing the icon of sin rn and if I’m being honest I’m not gonna finish it cause it’s the same bull crap. Small map that constantly makes you move. The game forces you too move around way to much taking away from what makes the game fun and different, rip and tearing demons apart. Just regular encounters you have to constantly be moving around using the whole environment, and it’s too much movement. Half time I’m trying to avoid being hit I walk onto a jump pad that launches me half way across the map. Very few times can you just go toe to toe with the demons and your guns without having the annoyance of platforming. I was so excited for this game but now it’s just a disappointment. If I can take the gameplay of 2016 and mix it with the demons and guns in eternal, I would cause to me that’s a perfect game. Not saying it’s a bad game but not the game I was expecting. If you Arnet a big fan of platform games, than don’t waste your money. Expand
  36. Mar 20, 2020
    I hate this game. I feel like this game is fanboyed a lot because of Doom 2016 was such a great game. Doom 2016 was good in fact I'd say best game on the new systems but this game is trash (not because I'm not good or died just now (fanboy kids excuse to defend games that are trash) but because I have made it almost to the end of the game and I paid $90 for this trash and ofc can't returnI hate this game. I feel like this game is fanboyed a lot because of Doom 2016 was such a great game. Doom 2016 was good in fact I'd say best game on the new systems but this game is trash (not because I'm not good or died just now (fanboy kids excuse to defend games that are trash) but because I have made it almost to the end of the game and I paid $90 for this trash and ofc can't return it so may as well beat it). We seem to be riding this trend of making these games hard as possible for esport players = good in the past 4 years. Why make it so hard? put more difficulties for those no life esport lovers but make it the same as doom 2016 difficulty for the normal difficulty. It was perfect the way it was (Why change what is not broken). Making games to hard for ppl makes ppl not buy the next one because it limits ppl that have jobs and don't have time to put into these games. I won't be buying the next game and I'm about done buying games all together if this trend don't end. Dif not buying new systems either. If you esport tryhards wants a game they need to make their own ******* games and systems. Games are not careers for the majority of gamers. If you want games that is for ppl with careers than make your own ******* systems to play on. Sorry for the rant I'm just so tired of games being made for these no lifes. Casual gamers can't even get a single player game anymore because it's got to be so balanced and difficult for these COD, Fortnight, and League of legend multiplayer fanboys to have fun playing a dif game for once. One last thing I want to mention is jumping. Why is there so much jumping in this game like it's a platformer. This is Doom I want to shoot and run and that's it. If I wanted to play mario or halo I would buy those games. This is why games as a whole has lost so much from it's fanbase and most ppl has stopped playing games. Stop catering to these loser YouTubers and Esporters and make games for your fans. Your wasting money paying them to play it and say good things about it because ppl are figuring it out. That don't care what these youtubers or esports losers thinks about your games that are trash! Expand
  37. Mar 21, 2020
    This is Doom in name only. Not a patch on the 2016 reboot. I've refunded my copy. Uninspiring combat and cartoony graphics/secrets.
  38. Mar 20, 2020
    This game is vile, when I had a birthday, my friend gave Doom enteral (I love shooters and the favorite game is Darkness 1-2, my friend knows everything that I love). When I started playing, I did not like the main character - he is not. The plot was not very impressive to me (you can say clichéd since I watched a lot of mystical and fantasy films). The gameplay is not bad, but after twoThis game is vile, when I had a birthday, my friend gave Doom enteral (I love shooters and the favorite game is Darkness 1-2, my friend knows everything that I love). When I started playing, I did not like the main character - he is not. The plot was not very impressive to me (you can say clichéd since I watched a lot of mystical and fantasy films). The gameplay is not bad, but after two hours I began to feel sick from jumping and shooting. It’s a pity to kill even demons, the enemy should look scary, but I don’t even want to kill these demons, but caress them.
    In general, I am disappointed, and did not find anything that praised her so much.
  39. Mar 24, 2020
    The game is way too hard with a PS4 controller even on easy setting. Advising not to buy the console versions.
  40. Mar 24, 2020
    2 point because I don't want to play Mario game in Doom. Why I must jump in whole the game like in Mario. What the reason? What if I am good enough in shooting but I hate jumping on platforms? ....
  41. Mar 24, 2020
    La consola se calienta mucho cuando estoy jugando y se me apaga, tienen que arreglarlo.
  42. Mar 24, 2020
    I was hoping it would be a continuation of Doom 2016 and it left me disappointed. I hate overcomplicated games there is a button for everything and the low ammo doesn't help. I really regret buying it.
  43. Mar 24, 2020
    On PS4 the game is way too frantic, even on the easy setting.

If you enjoy games with a moderate pace, then this is not for you. Previous Doom games allowed to select your pace - from frantic to moderate. However, Doom Eternal gives you only one option - frantic. It locks you in a room after room with 20 monsters with no way out, and it forces you into a chaotic action. I loved Doom
    On PS4 the game is way too frantic, even on the easy setting.

If you enjoy games with a moderate pace, then this is not for you.

I loved Doom series, but this game on PS4 just does not do it for me.
    It became way too boring even before finishing the first level.
  44. Mar 25, 2020
    I really enjoyed the game until the Marauders. Maybe I'm just really bad at the game but I feel that they ruin the entire flow and feel of the game for me
  45. Mar 21, 2020
    I was so hyped for this game, the 2016 game was great, i still play it. The combat takes a little getting used to, there are more mechanics than other FPS games, still fun. After every fight, i end up standing and looking around, trying to find what stupid platform to jump on to get to the next part. I don't mind exploring when i'm trying to find a hidden item, but i probably died justI was so hyped for this game, the 2016 game was great, i still play it. The combat takes a little getting used to, there are more mechanics than other FPS games, still fun. After every fight, i end up standing and looking around, trying to find what stupid platform to jump on to get to the next part. I don't mind exploring when i'm trying to find a hidden item, but i probably died just as much missing a double jump as fighting. Not fun. More than half the playing time, you're completing frustrating jumps, not fighting. Probably won't even finish the game, super dissapointed. Expand
  46. Mar 22, 2020
    "All you do is paa pew baam boom! What's the point? It's waste of time!" is what my father used to say about shooters when I was a kid and I would always have argument about there being more than that but if he said that for this game I'd have to agree because DOOM Eternal is just another mind-numbing title in DOOM series.
  47. Apr 5, 2020
    Overrated as hell, the shooting feels floaty, the bullets has no impact and kind of just clips through enemies, it's also a little repetitive with no stories, and the music is too damn loud, although that's just me not liking metal.
  48. Mar 27, 2020
    Single player is what you'd expect, personally I preferred doom 2016.

Single player is what you'd expect, personally I preferred doom 2016.

The online.. I purchased this to have some fun with friends, in a arena setting... Well I got my arena setting with the worst online multiplayer experience I've had in my life. The concept is terrible, the map is small and repetitive. Apparently this was invented because no one like the last online experience... Well I purchased this game for that online experience and returned it for a full refund after playing this one. Play Friday the 13th, Dead By Daylight or the new Predator game if you want to play Badly matched games where the human player wins way more often then they should. Wouldn't recommend purchasing if you want a online experience
  49. Apr 1, 2020
    Loved Doom 2016 -- this game (Doom Eternal) on the other hand was a huge let down for me. I hate the lack of ammo, the platforming they added, the story they added, the cartoon-ish looking graphics. The atmosphere that the original PS4 Doom had is totally gone; doesn't put you on edge. It just doesn't feel like Doom to me. Hated it.
  50. Mar 25, 2020
    Lack of ammo and weapon management is awful. Got the "super" weapon for six keys and used it zero times, because it uses bfg ammo. Marauders mechanics are very bad, sometimes you shoot through them without dealing any damage and since you have only 12 shots on powerful shotgun it breakes the whole fight.
  51. Mar 26, 2020
    Very bad . Max 5. Эта игра очень мультяшная . Она прям кричит увлекись и пройди еще испытаний . Это не продолдение Doom,это продолжение Doom Arcade =(
  52. Mar 22, 2020
    Ты теперь не думгай ****, ты супермарио с 2 патронами в обойме.
  53. Mar 25, 2020
    Casual gamers wanted a casual game.., and they got their casual game.., which is full of platforms.., fire bars.., which move to the best style of a classic MARIO game, and the player also obtain coins from its enemies, but in the form of AMMO, ARMOR, and HEALTH. A gameplay of a generic first person shooter, but in the style of a METROID + GEARS OF WAR (Yes..! Is very ORIGINAL..!!), AndCasual gamers wanted a casual game.., and they got their casual game.., which is full of platforms.., fire bars.., which move to the best style of a classic MARIO game, and the player also obtain coins from its enemies, but in the form of AMMO, ARMOR, and HEALTH. A gameplay of a generic first person shooter, but in the style of a METROID + GEARS OF WAR (Yes..! Is very ORIGINAL..!!), And bullet-sponge DEMONS.., which look like CARTOONS.. for children of 6 years or under... (YIKES..!). ¡"DOOMETROIMARIO" is born..! ¯_(ツ)_/¯ Expand
  54. Mar 22, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Играл 4 года с 2016го, буду дальше играть. Доставило буквально 1 час игры, что бы с топа (по началу) к дерьму слить ожидание последних годов. Добавлять ничего не буду, id software молодцы за перезапуск DOOM 2016! :) Expand
  55. Mar 30, 2020
    2 out of 10: They amped up the difficulty to unreasonable levels, turning this into an unfunny slaughter-fest. You can't survive attacks because you're in the middle of an unblockable crossfire every time combat starts, and they've hosed the player by not providing nearly enough health, armor, and ammo considering how many monsters they pour at you through a firehose. I played this game2 out of 10: They amped up the difficulty to unreasonable levels, turning this into an unfunny slaughter-fest. You can't survive attacks because you're in the middle of an unblockable crossfire every time combat starts, and they've hosed the player by not providing nearly enough health, armor, and ammo considering how many monsters they pour at you through a firehose. I played this game for five hours and quit, realizing there's no curve for improvement -- only frustration. You need to be a 13-year-old Ritalin freak to excel at this boondoggle. Bethesda ruined a fun game, for no discernible reason. I'm the fool who paid for it before deleting it, so I guess they win in the end. Expand
  56. Mar 25, 2020
    Soy muy fanático de Doom desde la Pc, me encanto el remake del 2016 fue genial, pero este Doom es muy inferior al ultimo, realmente una decepción en todo momento. Poca munición y enemigos con una IA horrenda, poca creatividad en los escenarios y acción que se ve interrumpida constantemente por la munición escasa y enemigos que solo te brinda salud a medias, plataformas al estilo TombSoy muy fanático de Doom desde la Pc, me encanto el remake del 2016 fue genial, pero este Doom es muy inferior al ultimo, realmente una decepción en todo momento. Poca munición y enemigos con una IA horrenda, poca creatividad en los escenarios y acción que se ve interrumpida constantemente por la munición escasa y enemigos que solo te brinda salud a medias, plataformas al estilo Tomb Raider que se sienten innecesarias y ridículas en este juego. Pedi el juego en preventa y ahora me arrepiento, es el peor Doom que he jugado. No vale la pena. Expand
  57. Apr 7, 2020
    Most garbage game ever it maybe great graphics but this is not doom whatsoever.

Whoever thought it was a great idea to have battle mode (most likey same guys who thought it was a great idea to have abilities in quake) must retire or find a different genre like RPGs or something. Campaign was average Multiplayer was pure garbage trash its so stupid. (Lag of the servers just prevents you
    Most garbage game ever it maybe great graphics but this is not doom whatsoever.

Campaign was average Multiplayer was pure garbage trash its so stupid. (Lag of the servers just prevents you from killing a demon and getting resources automatically just kills you with them
    Would have been better if they had instagiv, tdm, dm all the regular doom modes not slapping something with a label of doom and offer no deathmatch GTFO

Request refund

#NotMyDoom

Generally favorable reviews - based on 44 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 4, 2020
    DOOM Eternal exceeded expectations, both where difficulty and enjoyment are concerned, and while not without its faults, it feels like a must-play game for FPS players. It knows exactly how hard it is but doesn’t shame players for choosing whatever difficulty they want, and with how many collectibles there are to amass, it offers a surprising degree of replayability.
  2. Apr 2, 2020
    DOOM Eternal follows in the footsteps of a storied gaming lineage. id Software has done an incredible job at putting care into this series since it was revitalized in 2016. Any player who considers themselves a fan of first-person shooters will immensely love DOOM Eternal because it pays tribute to the genre’s roots and how it has grown over the past three decades. Though it may feel brutal, smearing the entrails of thousands of horrifying hellspawn with a powerful arsenal is one of gaming’s best rewards. Don’t hesitate on this one.
  3. Mar 31, 2020
    Doom Eternal does its legacy proud. Unabashedly difficult, frantic, and single player-centric, it knows what it is…and does it well.