4.5

1. Jan 12, 2016
    Go in blind, play the game. You won't regret it.
    Should I tell you anymore? No.
    Should you play Gone Home? Yes.
    Does this review have to be any longer? No.
    Should you play Gone Home? Yes.
  2. Jul 14, 2016
    This is my first review ever...

This is my first review ever...

I wish I would have taken a chance on this game on PC instead of getting it on PS Plus but I am so happy that I had an untainted experience while playing it. The designers and writers did a phenomenal job and I would highly recommend playing Gone Home. It is short but I think the people that are posting negative reviews do not understand this beautiful piece of art.

Absolutely loved the game! Downloaded for free on PS plus, had no idea what to expect. I am primarily a PC gamer and have seen a lot of positive comments about this game but I did not purchase it.

I received Gone Home via PS plus and don't have a lot of time to play games anymore. I was sick at home today and did not have a lot of energy so I decided to give this game a shot. I LOVED IT!!! I think the low reviews below are probably from the "young COD" crowd. This game requires patience, time and focus. It is like reading a really good book. Make sure you have no interruptions during your play through of this game, you will want to focus on the details or you will miss some of the story.

At first I thought it would freak the **** out of me but after exploring and taking my time, the game still gave me goosebumps but it didn't freak me out. It has amazing detail, and is a very casual experience. It should take you about 1.5 to 2.5 hours to finish the game. But once you finish you will want to play it again to explore into more detail and get a better understanding of the story.

I don't want to get into details about the game specifically because I don't want to give anything away but it is very "artsy fartsy" (which is awesome imo!). It gave me goosebumps, made me laugh, and it made me want to cry! The music was amazing! I loved both the game score and the garage band music! Plus all the punk references! (Social Distortion!)

The reason I did not give a 10 is because the game is short, if you do not have patience or time to play it again then read wikipedia to get a better understanding of the story. If the writers/designers were trying to scare the audience they did a great job but did not deliver the "scare factor". Exploration should be rewarded a little more as well as the entire game is based on exploration.

Overall, I had a wonderful experience playing Gone Home and I think anyone who received this game via PS Plus or at a discount on Steam should be extremely happy with the work the developers put into making this masterpiece!
  3. Sep 9, 2016
    Gone Home is exceptionally well written, cleverly designed and a very memorable experience that's deeply engrossing and just really beautiful. It is easily one of the best, if not the best, game of its kind.
  4. Jul 17, 2016
    Do point-and-click adventure games bore you? Is the term 'walking simulator' a slur in your book? Then you probably shouldn't buy this game. However, if you're interested in a 2-3 hour story that will draw you in with top-notch atmosphere and a beautiful story, I'd absolutely recommend Gone Home.

I don't believe I've ever played a game that was so subtle, yet so powerful. Within minutes it had me fully invested in the fates of these characters, Sam especially, and my interest in the story never faltered. Every discovery had meaning, and left me needing to progress further. My only complaint is with the ending, which I felt tonally came a bit out of nowhere, though it ultimately makes sense and will surely please many players.
  5. May 5, 2016
    I don't know that I'd say this game is worth a full $20 just because it is super short, but it definitely is worth playing. It's not a traditional game, but it is enjoyable. It's a simple little exploration set and it's fun to poke around in it. Best part about it was I found my feelings toward the house your exploring slowly do a 180 as you learn more about it.

If you want a pleasant

If you want a pleasant surprise, pick this up. But not at full price. Wait for a sale. It's worth $7.50 or so.
  6. Jun 8, 2016
    PS+ Freebie June 2016:

After completing FireWatch, I was immediately directed to Gone Home as a similar title. Firstly, if you don't like games who's sole purpose is to tell a story and pull you into the narrative, this game is not for you. There's no shooting, no conflict and you are basically left to explore. And explore I did. It's not a huge game, there's not that many rooms
    PS+ Freebie June 2016:

And explore I did. It's not a huge game, there's not that many rooms and not an endless amount to interact with. But what is there gives the gamer a real sense of a family that 'something has occurred with' ...no spoilers here!

With that, comes a real tenderness to the game. Early on you hear a disturbing voice mail, with thunder constantly giving the gamer a sense of dread and isolation, the remains of everything you find feels as melancholic and once-meaningful. There's an underlying heartache at the centre of the story that as it unravels, left a big impression on me.

The voice acting, alike Firewatch, is excellent. It feels unscripted and natural, like any old family. This is such a huge part of the immersion of Gone Home.

This game won't be for everyone. I completed it in just over 2 hours and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think Firewatch is still the better game, as the character interaction / script is even better. But the sense of dread, loss and melancholic bliss I got from Gone Home will sit with me for a long long while.

Those people rating is ZERO just didn't read up on what the game was pre purchase, it is what it is, I don't buy NFL games and cry that it's not FIFA, read before you buy people!!!
  7. Apr 4, 2016
    This game is fantastic, it's a great story, with great sound and overall atmosphere. But, don't go in expecting some RPG god. It's a narrative experience, if you want that, then it's absolutely fantastic. But if you need action or "game play" to be entertained, this isn't for you.
  8. Mar 14, 2016
    Honest review 8/10. Felt the need to raise this bar. To the 49 reds - research games before you dive in. Video games, music, movies, TV...All entertainment offers many roads to enjoyment. Some people get off on Marvel movies, some people don't. To score this game 0 shows a complete lack of credibility. That being said I hope you're enjoying *insert random AAA garbage here*
  9. Jan 18, 2016
    This was one of my favorite games of 2013. The game relies entirely upon atmosphere and its interesting take on story telling and it excels on both fronts. It is a short experience, taking about 2 hours or so to take in all the details and finish the game, but I feel like buying this game is like buying a good movie; an experience that is so enjoyable that you can view it again and again.This was one of my favorite games of 2013. The game relies entirely upon atmosphere and its interesting take on story telling and it excels on both fronts. It is a short experience, taking about 2 hours or so to take in all the details and finish the game, but I feel like buying this game is like buying a good movie; an experience that is so enjoyable that you can view it again and again.
    If you feel like some of the best moments in games can come from finding scattered notes or if you are just a fan of riot grrrl punk music then get this game.
  10. Feb 6, 2016
    This seems to be a divisive game, so it's not for everyone. It's an empathy game, like the Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, or The Beginner's Guide. If you haven't tried any of these, then this is the perfect entry to try out this new genre of gaming.

This kind of game is for someone who loves strong narrative and exploration because it offers little else. The game is full of wonderful artifacts that let you get to know the characters in the game better than you would your closest allies in a game like Mass Effect. If that sounds like a good idea to you, then you must buy it. If not, then definitely find something else to play.
  11. Mar 2, 2016
    I felt the game was definitely too short for a $20 price tag, but that doesn't mean it's not worth playing. It's an exploration based first person game about a girl who comes home from college and finds no one is home. You explore the house and try to figure out where everyone is, all the while discovering all sorts of great 90s references and Easter eggs (X-files on VHS, the JFKI felt the game was definitely too short for a $20 price tag, but that doesn't mean it's not worth playing. It's an exploration based first person game about a girl who comes home from college and finds no one is home. You explore the house and try to figure out where everyone is, all the while discovering all sorts of great 90s references and Easter eggs (X-files on VHS, the JFK assassination novel, etc). It's better to go in knowing nothing about the game, as I did, but you will still enjoy it either way. $20 is a little steep and it doesn't have a platinum trophy but if you can get it on sale, I highly recommend Gone Home. Excellent writing, atmosphere, solid graphics and sound design, and a very personal story. If you like games like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Firewatch, or Dear Esther, this game is of similar style and quality.

Don't listen to the bad user reviews. I have a feeling it's all the same guy because he keeps talking about how "social justice warriors" are the only people who like it. WRONG! He also is an idiot because he gets the plot twist all wrong. No spoilers, but the game's narrative is about your sister, he thinks it's about you, which leads me to think he either wasn't paying full attention or just skimmed a plot summary online without fully absorbing it.
  12. Mar 11, 2016
    Gone Home is a light RPG experience about a young woman coming home from college trip to Europe, only to find her parents' new house empty. The place is unfamiliar, the phones are out, she's all alone, and it's a stormy night. Where are mom & dad? Where's her little sister?

The game works as a period piece, evoking the ethos of mimeographed 'zines and mixtapes in the early 90's. It works as a mystery, as you rummage through your family's belongings, piecing together who these people are and how they treat one another.

It's an exploration game and a narrative experience, with no fast action. You wander the house, rummage through drawers and cabinets, looking for clues and solving a few light puzzles. The graphics are technically competent but not compelling. The audio fares better, and the voice acting is great.

If piecing together an unfolding story from various notes and recordings is your kind of game, you will be richly rewarded. The characters are fleshed out, the story is evocative, the sense of place and time is well-established, and the conflicts have high stakes for those involved. The more you learn, the more the story changes.

Unfortunately, because the plot of the game deals with some particular themes, and because the game has a slower exploratory pace without a fixed scoring system or any traditional action mechanics, Gone Home has become a lightning rod for the Gamergate crowd. They've tried to turn it into a symbol for their cause instead of just accepting that some art isn't for everybody, and constant vote brigading of Gone Home on various online forums is common. This forum appears to be no exception.

Believe the professional reviews on this title: If the game as described sounds like something that might be up your alley, then Gone Home will richly reward you. If that's not your thing, then look elsewhere.
  13. Nov 27, 2016
    A game that gives you a chance to become Sherlock Holmes
    A game that gives you a chance to become Sherlock Holmes
    One day, our English teacher told us “we are going to play a computer game in class”. I was so surprised. Computer games to me is just either one of these; guns and knives flying around with glamorous fighters or building a town and collecting items by repeating particular steps. However, the game called ‘Gone Home’ was totally different. I would like to write a review about this creative, sensational, and fantastic game for those who didn’t get a chance to play it yet. And don’t worry, there aren’t any spoilers that can bother you enjoying the game.
    As we can infer from the name of the game, we explore a house where Greenbriar family lives. As a user, you become Kaitlin Greenbriar, who is the oldest daughter of the family. Kaitlin returned from her one-year Europe trip but nobody is in the house greeting her. Her parents went on a vacation and her younger sister, Samantha is not in the house for some reason (you must find this out while you are playing the game!). There are pictures and many evidence that you can guess the personality, appearance, hobbies of the family members and you would feel like they are people in reality. The evidence are very detailed which make you think that actually the Greenbriar family exists and that they had experienced the situation described in the game. I was also very impressed by the realistic details hidden in the house and also the clear graphics helped me when searching for clues. Moreover, the dark, raining day made the mood of the game very calm and depressed which indirectly implies the reason why Sam ran away from home.
    You will easily be ‘addicted’ to this game, in other words, you can’t stop this game until you finish it because it stimulates your curiosity. ‘Gone Home’ is just like a crime scene where the evidence are hidden and users get a chance to become Sherlock Holmes. Not only the items with clues can be zoomed in but we can also click the ones that are unrelated with the theme such as water bottles, deck of cards, tissue boxes and so on. Moreover, you can’t get the full map of the house which means that you have to make your own way to find secret passages and unrevealed places. This game is even more challenging because all places are dark until you find and turn on the lamp. I think making all places dark is a fantastic feature of this game since it makes the players feel like they are pioneers or explorers. As more and more items or journals are founded, you will become more curious about the theme of the story, which is one of the reasons why I love this game so much. All clues are linked to a whole big mysterious story which explains why Sam ran away from home. At first, each clue seems nothing to do with other clues however, as you play the game, you will realize that there is a well-designed plot. I am sure that you will also feel some kind of pride as you get closer to the truth that the game is hiding. Furthermore, even if you finished the game (you will get the sign if you finish the game) you will probably want to go back and play again since now you know that there are secret passages. Also, even if you finished the game, you might not have all the clues because you can finish the game without knowing the whole truth. This will also act as one of the reasons why you might want to go back and start again. And the most important thing is that this game’s theme is not limited to families but is deeply intertwined with the social atmosphere in the 1990s. This meaningful theme makes ‘Gone Home’ an educational game which is often used as a class material.
    You can use functions such as ‘crouch’ to see things under your eyes. You can also zoom in and take a closer look of an item that you want to get information about. You can also collect the evidence as well as the Sam’s journals, and see the map of the house. With all of these operations, you can move freely in any direction. Also, I strongly recommend this game because it provides high-quality graphics. Low-quality graphics often makes users frustrated since it distracts users when they want to concentrate on the game.
    At last, there is one weakness of this game; spoilers are poisonous. When you are playing games such as Sudden Attack, Overwatch, or League of Legends, even if you know all information about the characters and techniques, without practices those information are useless. However, in the case of ‘Gone Home’, if you know the theme, secret passages, evidence and so on by spoilers, you curiosity will be diminished which will greatly reduce your interest in this game. That is why users who want to enjoy ‘Gone Home’ must be extremely careful not to click on spoilers.
    To sum up, I strongly recommend this game for those who want to be Sherlock Holmes, know about the teen culture in the 1990s, and their creativity and curiosity to be stimulated. Just avoid looking at spoilers, then you will definitely enjoy the game as I did.
  14. Mar 5, 2016
    "the only reason why it got good reviews from Critics was because Social Justice Warriors wanting to promote themselves".. Jesus... the BS you read on the internet... Good game. Trust the critic reviews on this one.
  15. Jun 9, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To all those that have given this a low rating it is a story based game you are playing for the story which was a good commentary on the 90s before the western world was as accepting of gay relationships add in the creepy house and storm outside and you have a good atmosphere to go with a good story.

Picked this up on PS Plus i was considering passing on it but I am very glad if did not very enjoyable.
  16. Jan 13, 2016
    Gone Home is a must-play game. Period. Do yourself a favor and play it right now. Do not look anything up for the game, just go for it. The game keeps you guessing around every corner and turn, and the brilliance in story-telling here is something you won't want to miss. Steve Gaynor and team brought a master-piece to the gaming world a few years ago on PC, and bringing Gone Home toGone Home is a must-play game. Period. Do yourself a favor and play it right now. Do not look anything up for the game, just go for it. The game keeps you guessing around every corner and turn, and the brilliance in story-telling here is something you won't want to miss. Steve Gaynor and team brought a master-piece to the gaming world a few years ago on PC, and bringing Gone Home to consoles for more to play makes me so happy. PLAY IT!

9.0/10
  17. Apr 6, 2016
    I don't understand how people seem to keep buying games without realizing what they are first. Unless they are just reviewing this game without actually having played it because of its "Liberal Agenda". Reaching.
  18. Jun 10, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Being a teenager, I constantly feel as if no one understands me, as if I was a maze that needs to be understood, discovered. The game Gone Home, due to the situation I mentioned above, made me feel quite engaged with the game. The story in this game revolves around Katie Greenbriar, a young woman who is returning to a new home after a year of traveling around Europe only to discover she is alone and her younger sister, Sam Greenbriar, is gone. As you go through the house, which you know nothing about because Katie has been gone for a year and has never lived in the house, you discover that you must find what happened to Sam. Just like my constant feeling of “being a maze”, you have to travel through the house and discover different clues about the Greenbriar’s new life. Gone Home is an interactive game in which you discover different clues, presented through Sam’s journals.

However, Gone Home is not like most video games. It does not hold many fantastic or aggressive elements, mostly because it is a narrative game. Through out the game, you discover Sam’s story, attempting to discover why she left. The use of Sam’s journal entries as “achievements” helped developed an emotional tie with a character you never met, creating a more engaging experience with the player.

Yet, one of the most interesting characteristics of this game is Sam’s story. Sam is a teenager that is new in town, constantly left alone, constantly ignored since her confidante, her older sister Katie, “left” her. However, regardless of the cliché of finally finding love, shown through Lonnie De Santo to rescue her from her solitude, Sam allows the game to be interesting and constantly keeping you on your feet, not knowing where you would find the next part of her story. Just like most teenagers, Sam is in a constant fight with her family and her feelings, making her story highly relatable, mainly because it shows that one’s journey to self-discovery is not all roses and rainbows. Sam’s road to herself is much represented through the house, that seems unorganized and old at first glance but then becomes a mess that just needs some tender love and care. As Sam’s story gets more complicated, so does the path you have to follow. Gone Home uses Sam as a representation of life, since she had to go through hardships and obstacles to find her happiness, even if it is momentary.

Despite Sam’s story being the protagonic storyline, it is not thee only one in Gone Home. The story of Oscar Masan, Mr. Greenbriar’s uncle who left the Greenbriar family the house where the games takes place, is one of the parallel stories of the game. Mr. Masan was a lonely man living in a mansion away from town, seeming social and capable of having a fun time with everyone in the community, yet being truly and completely alone. You never truly know the story behind Mr. Mason’s solitude, and if he is truly a ghost within the house like Sam thinks, however, the various clues scattered around the house make me believe that the reason why Mr. Masan was so lonely was because the house was his only true, constant companion, making him completely absorb himself within the house, and, in some way, making him be consumed by the house.

Moreover, Mr. Masan’s story is not the only parallel story in Gone Home. The story of the Greenbriar family, specifically the relationship of the Greenbriar parents Janice and Terrence, is another important secondary element of the game. Terrence and Janice Greenbriar are a couple that seem to struggle in their relationship and I infer it has to do with the fact Terrence is a not so successful author, making Janice work harder, increasing the distance between her and her husband and, consequently, with her daughter. Again, we are able to see just how everything seems to turn to Sam and her story; however, the constant mentioning of the conflict between the Greenbriars is another fuel to the story that makes Gone Home even more relatable to modern audiences, since, sadly, parental conflict seems to be more and more common.

Lastly, another important factor of Gone Home is the aesthetic of the house. The enormous house in Gone Home is dark and empty, two characteristics you wouldn’t normally associate with family homes. However, these two characteristics really play with the game, since this video game constantly highlights the emptiness in Sam’s life and the darkness that suddenly surrounds it. The aesthetic of the house represents Sam by being that factor that everyone can tell is wrong, since Sam often hid her true feelings, something the house can’t do. Also, the aesthetic of the house aids the fueling of the parallel stories. For example, Mr. Masan died in the house all by himself, not having anyone, in the dark emptiness of his home. Similarly, the Greenbriar parents constantly argue and suffer difficulties in their marriage, represented by all the packed boxes since they don’t talk about their problems and repress them, like the boxes do.
  19. Jun 7, 2016
    Amazing but short experience! Fantastic story telling and clever design, this is a game not only for those 'old' enough to have experienced the good old point and click adventures, but also for fans of exploration or just a good mistery story. The only negative aspect i see is it's length.

Unless you are one of these kids who think Playstation invented videogames and call 'walking simulation' to every game without killing and shooting, i would highly recommend you to try this game.
  20. Jun 8, 2016
    Gone Home is a perfect (not near perfect) experience.Reviewing it as a game in the game section is unfair to the game and the audience. It is not really a game. It's not really an interactive novel. I'm not sure what to call it, so I will call it an experience.

The experience works because of the well crafted environment, strategic placement of clues, excellent writing, wonderful audio, and immersive sounds and music. I really do believe the negative reviews of Gone Home are morally wrong. Gaming isn't about twitch shooting or platform jumping. It's not about managing stats and collecting upgrades. Gaming is about having experiences. Gone Home provides the kind of experience few games offer. My PS4 needs more works like this.

As noted above, I really do not want to consider Gone Home a game. There are no points. There are no branching paths. You are literally let loose in a house to explore at your own pace and make your own conclusions. Imagine if Gone Home were not a game, and instead you paid admission to rummage through a house looking for clues as to why no one is home. Gone Home is the digital version of that kind of experience.

Caveat on price: I downloaded this game for "free" through PS Plus. (I used quoates because PS Plus ain't free). However, knowing now how wonderful the experience is, I would have paid $10 to play it. The experience is really that good. This is one of those quality versus quantity experiences. Do yourself a favor and reserve a couple of hours for this gem of an experience.
  21. Jun 9, 2016
    Ok, if you expect this game to be a horrorgame, then you shouldn't play it. I got it for free due to my PS plus account. Starting the game, I thought I was in for some scary moments. To my suprise, I nice story was unfolding which kept me playing to the end because I wanted to know how the story would end. This game is not about action or graphics. It's about exploring to find out whatOk, if you expect this game to be a horrorgame, then you shouldn't play it. I got it for free due to my PS plus account. Starting the game, I thought I was in for some scary moments. To my suprise, I nice story was unfolding which kept me playing to the end because I wanted to know how the story would end. This game is not about action or graphics. It's about exploring to find out what happened with the people who seem to have left in a hurry. Play it with an open mind. You will be suprised. Expand
  22. Jul 5, 2016
    Gone Home is a thoughtful experience and a great piece of art. It shows how the medium can be used to tell an interesting story in a unique way.
    To me, this story would have been way less interesting, had it been told in the traditional form of a book or a movie. The experience of actually walking around a house, uncovering and theorizing about what happened between the people who live there made me care about the protagonists, their story and the outcome.
    Players with an open mind will be rewarded.
  23. Jul 6, 2016
    A sensational game, that is beautifully crafted to allow you as a gamer to go on a different kind of journey that does not involve the gore and action-packed standard most developers find themselves forced to produce today. Rather Gone Home walks you through an emotional and atmospheric story which if you allow yourself to become emotionally involved, you will play through one of theA sensational game, that is beautifully crafted to allow you as a gamer to go on a different kind of journey that does not involve the gore and action-packed standard most developers find themselves forced to produce today. Rather Gone Home walks you through an emotional and atmospheric story which if you allow yourself to become emotionally involved, you will play through one of the most heart-wrenching stories out there. Expand
  24. Mar 23, 2016
    10/10. It was my GOTY when it was released on the PC a few years back. I hope developers continue to make games like this one. If you love games like Dear Esther or Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, then you'll love this game.
  25. Mar 28, 2016
    Lots of dumb people reviewing this game. Don't listen to the dummies. If you are looking to murder thousands of people that dont look like you, try another game. If you dont get out much and blame other people for your own inadequacies and failures in life, dont play or review this game. If you masturbate too much and get bored really easily, dont play this game. Otherwise youre gonna love this.
  26. Mar 15, 2017
    This game was truly an amazing experience. One of the few games (the souls games come to mind) able to tell so much about their story simply through their environments.
  27. Jun 29, 2016
    From my review at Pop Culture Beast:

From my review at Pop Culture Beast:

"I really loved Gone Home. A lot of the strengths of the gameplay experience lie in the player not knowing too much about the game before beginning; that is how I experienced it, actively avoiding too much information about its story. Because of this, if you think you will enjoy Gone Home at this point in my review then I would recommend stop reading now, play it, then come back. What I loved so much about it is hard to explain without spoiling anything, but I will do my best.

The game starts with very little information given to the player. You are presented with a black screen while you hear the protagonist’s answering machine message to her family. She, you, say that you’ve decided to take the cheap flight home from Paris so you would be arriving after midnight and would get a shuttle home. The scene fades in. You are standing on the front porch of a large, beautiful yet cryptic house while a storm rages on around you. There is a note on the front door from someone named “Sam” who you come to learn is your little sister. It is hard to parse out what exactly the note means at this point, but you are soon presented with your first puzzle as you notice the front door is locked when you try to enter. Once you find the key (it’s not too hard) you enter the house and it is now time to start piecing the narrative together..."

Visit PopCultureBeast (dot) com/gone-home-review/ for the full, in-depth review.
  28. May 30, 2017
    Gone Home is going to be a game you either love or hate, it is as simple as that. The best thing you can do is go in blind, experience it fresh otherwise it will take away the impact the story can have. Do not expect fun and amazing gameplay because you will be disappointed. Gone Home is all about the story and discovering the truth of what happened in the house you are exploring. For meGone Home is going to be a game you either love or hate, it is as simple as that. The best thing you can do is go in blind, experience it fresh otherwise it will take away the impact the story can have. Do not expect fun and amazing gameplay because you will be disappointed. Gone Home is all about the story and discovering the truth of what happened in the house you are exploring. For me personally, I went in blind. I started playing it expecting one thing and got a completely different experience. But that is what made the game so amazing and memorable for me. It surprises you in its overall premise which is why it is so important for you to not let it be spoiled. If you enjoy discovering clues and great stories in games then definitely try Gone Home. Expand
  29. Aug 13, 2016
    I played this game as part of PlayStation Plus. I knew nothing about Gone Home other than the fact that It was considered "good" by some critics. Going into this game with few expectations allowed me to let the game speak for itself. Gone Home is fantastic! It is environmental story telling at its best; it alludes to events and allows you to piece everything together through discovery. TheI played this game as part of PlayStation Plus. I knew nothing about Gone Home other than the fact that It was considered "good" by some critics. Going into this game with few expectations allowed me to let the game speak for itself. Gone Home is fantastic! It is environmental story telling at its best; it alludes to events and allows you to piece everything together through discovery. The main narrative is spelled out clearly through journals you find strewn throughout the house, but there are plenty of other interesting stories tucked away in nooks and crannies. No game in recent memory has elicited such a range of emotions as Gone Home did. I cannot recommend Gone Home enough! Expand
  30. Mar 3, 2017
    Gone Home is an beautiful piece of art you should not miss if you are into so called "walking simulators" or openminded enough for games far from the mainstream gaming industry in general. Gone Home tells a very thoughtful but also heartwarming story which is definitely the main reason for playing this game.
  31. Oct 13, 2016
    Good game which tells a nice story if you pay attention.

The game can be finished in less than 60 seconds but that's if you miss out 99% of the content.

It is NOT a horror game and everyone thinks that it is since it's dark most the time.
  32. Sep 17, 2016
    A beautiful story, captivating and moving. I see a lot of negative reviews saying this is just a walking simulator but that's so inaccurate. Some people should stick to COD. If you want something more than blowing stuff up, something with real substance, this is an incredible experience.
  33. Sep 8, 2018
    What Kind of Adventure?

Graphic Adventure Was it fun? Yes, its a very interesting story. Are there any similar games? For what ever reason, while playing the game, all I could think about was Life is Strange. Even though its a completely different story/game. Would you play it again? No, this is the type of game thats one and done. Not much replayability at all. Any
    What Kind of Adventure?

Graphic Adventure

Was it fun?

Yes, its a very interesting story.

Are there any similar games?

Would you play it again?

No, this is the type of game thats one and done. Not much replayability at all.

Any Complaints?

Yes, it felt a little too short. I would’ve prefered a couple more hours and more character development with all the characters.

How many hours did you play it?

The whole game took about 3 hours to beat.
  34. Nov 27, 2016
    When you first start the game, I can assure that you will be seriously bored, apparently that you are in the house alone with bunch of scraps of paper and letters filled with useless stories. But don't finish it there, or you will surely want your money back. But listen carefully to what journal says, and find the details of the letters and evidences. It may be random and strange to read,When you first start the game, I can assure that you will be seriously bored, apparently that you are in the house alone with bunch of scraps of paper and letters filled with useless stories. But don't finish it there, or you will surely want your money back. But listen carefully to what journal says, and find the details of the letters and evidences. It may be random and strange to read, but as soon when you start to realize, you will feel that these little evidences are puzzles which are coming together to make a magnificent piece of story that you will never expect. Normal the house looks, mysterious the family members are. Story is well written, and story will not follow your expectations. More you witness as you walk around the house, more you will understand. Not only the storyline, graphics are well done too. Nice textures and motions of the character which makes the player feel more like I am the protagonist of the house! The rain and thunder sound effect are great too. Try yourself, be like protagonist, wander the house and find evidences of mysterious background stories of whole family and the house. What are you waiting for? Dive in to the house full of intriguing stories NOW! Expand

1. Apr 21, 2016
    Gone home is a beautiful story told with talent. The total immersion and storytelling brings a sense of renewal in the world of video games. Unfortunately, its lifespan is too short: two hours are enough to see the end. This console port is, by the way, excellent.
  2. Apr 9, 2016
    It’s a shame that Gone Home is a bit of a non-starter. It has a lot of potential; the game is genuinely captivating whilst you’re playing it – it’s just unfortunate that it leaves you so disappointed once you’ve reached its conclusion. The human story it tries to tell is relatable, but it’s a story that’s so ordinary it’s barely even worth telling. By all means, play Gone Home for the exploration; for the 90’s nostalgia and for its down-to-Earth quirks, but don’t go into it expecting anything mindblowing. Expect a grounded story about a typical family and you won’t be disappointed, but anything else will leave you feeling rather underwhelmed.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 31, 2016
    Don’t look at its brevity with a frown: Gone Home is a hugely important game with something meaningful to say. [April 2016, p74]