• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Jun 21, 2019
8.4

1. Jul 11, 2019
    The minigames are horrible, the graphics do not make me happy, does not have HDR and in the sound part does not have Dolby Atmos. The game is very repetitive and annoying.
  2. Aug 18, 2019
    Hey, I've got an idea... what if we made a game which took all of Yakuza's problems but stripped out all the fun and goofiness that make the games so enjoyable, replacing them with a set of tedious "detective" mechanics which you can't possibly fail but which consume lots of time?

If that sounds like a great idea then I have some good news: Judgment is that game. If it sounds like a terrible idea then I've got some bad news...

Judgment takes us back to the same few blocks of Kamurocho that we know and love from Yakuza, now looking nicely shiny and HD but otherwise basically unchanged. It gives us a new player character, Ex-Yakuza, ex-lawyer private detective Tak ... great hair but zero charisma. Before long we're given a case to work, collecting evidence for the defence team in a murder trial. This mostly involves running across the city collecting clues, which the game leads you to and then pieces together for you. This is no puzzle game.

Every so often you get into a fight where much like Yakuza you're fighting the camera and the finicky controls as much as the NPCs. In Hard difficulty these are either so easy they're tedious (e.g. any street encounter) or so difficult the only way to get through them is repeatedly hitting pause to eat sushi (e.g. first proper boss fight).

I've only played about 6 hours of the game, so maybe it gets better, but since I haven't cracked a smile once in those 6 hours, or found any reason to care what happens, I can't see any good reason to keep playing on the off-chance it's going to improve.
  3. Aug 21, 2019
    Boring garbage. It would have been better to spend the resources wasted on this piece of garbage game on making proper Kiwami remakes of Yakuza 3, 4 and 5. Dumb developers don't even know what their fanbase wants. Yakuza is popular because of the characters and humor, you can't take that out and want to replace it with a boring detective drama with this tryhard character, absolute failure.
  4. Jun 21, 2019
    And again some poor choices for this series -- now they made minigames unavoidable again. Well, some of them o'k, but others (most Club Sega ones) are lame and SHOULD BE REMOVED.
  5. Sep 4, 2019
    Aburrido y lento, muy poca acción en este título, esperaba mucho más de él.
  6. Dec 6, 2019
    Absolute b grade trash, clunky, boring, horrible sound and graphics, it’s more talk then anything, and so much off it ripped out from the yakuza games, from the fighting animations to the whole map. Just trying to cash in from yakuza success.
  7. Sep 28, 2019
    Great story until you figure it out before the characters do, and when you're supplied with choices the most obvious and correct ones are omitted, which leaves your detective character feeling a bit slow and dumb waiting for someone else to figure it out and explain it to you. The combat is super clunky like the rest of the Yakuza games.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 83 Critic Reviews

1. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Aug 2, 2019
    It’s obvious the team didn’t have the budget of Yakuza 6 for this game. But that gives the game its own charm, like those criminal dramas on TV that you would never watch on purpose, but if you stumble upon one, you’re going to see it to the end. [Issue#239, p.52]
  2. Jul 31, 2019
    Whether you’re a long-time Yakuza fan or just coming to this series, Judgment is well worth the investment. Boasting a cracking story, oodles of content and a fantastic fighting system, this spin-off can keep you glued for days… possibly months.
  3. Jul 25, 2019
    Judgment is too afraid to let go of its defining "Yakuza" features, pushing detective gameplay to the side to let the combat mechanics shine. Its story is gripping and very enjoyable, running alongside the extra side content which is full of heart and entertainment. Give Judgment a shot, whether you're a die-hard Yakuza fan, or a newbie to the franchise.