7.3

1. May 22, 2020
    At first i was afraid that this game would become uninteresting after a hour of playing. But, its really addictive and weirdly therapeutic. It's nice and simple. Also, the feeling of being a badass shark is great.
  2. Jun 30, 2020
    This is best GTA-clon ever, much better than stupid GTA5. It's allow shark to kill all humans and bit a whale. Well, its not perfect, but close.
  3. May 22, 2020
    At a lower price point, and therefore a lower expectation, this would be a decent game. The price is too high for the amount of content so far. Should probably be a 7 overall but rating it a 8 for chomping jetskiers mid air :)
  4. May 23, 2020
    Its another one of those tripwire games where you can just sit back relax and let your self go. The game does get boring after a while but it does have its great points starting and does refresh it's self time after time sure its not like killing floor 2 but for a shark game its amazing i'd say go for it but wait off for a sale if your not sure its one of those games you should keep on theIts another one of those tripwire games where you can just sit back relax and let your self go. The game does get boring after a while but it does have its great points starting and does refresh it's self time after time sure its not like killing floor 2 but for a shark game its amazing i'd say go for it but wait off for a sale if your not sure its one of those games you should keep on the shelves if you feel like letting loose at times! also Shark in the river and other game songs fit well sometimes you can mute the music play your own and just enjoy a ride with the environment being fun to explore. Expand
  5. May 29, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall my experience with Maneater, albeit brief was enjoyable. Watching your shark grow from a pup to a mega shark is pretty cool, including all the other upgrades Bone , Shadow and Electric. But I cant suggest people get this game until they fix the issues I’ve experienced, and I’m sure other people have as well. Frame rate : the frame rate dropped multiple times on my PS4 pro and it baffled me a little bit with other games, like Horizon Zero Dawn or Red Dead has no frame drop issues. Variety : this game is repetitive, very repetitive. I would have enjoyed some variety in the quests but I guess there is only so much to do as a shark.

Save files being erased : this was the big thing for me, caused me to actually uninstall it from my hard drive. They don’t have a save function, it only relies on auto save which I think isn’t the best decision.

First go around, I got to leave 10 got to my grotto saw the auto save going. Turned off my console. I come back to level up my super cool shark, and my game started over from the beginning. I was a bit ticked off, shrugged it off and played again. I just reached level 30 with almost max upgrades. Fire up my console to eat some people and destroy boats. And wouldn’t you know it. The game started over at the beginning! AGAIN! How do you have this critical of a bug on a game you send out to customers? Baffles me, they need to fix it. So I’d suggest saving your money. But that’s just my experience.
  6. Aug 14, 2020
    I would have giving it a 5 but the final boss fight made me very sour.
    I would have giving it a 5 but the final boss fight made me very sour.
    The controls are crap, the camera is even worse, it barely plays at 30 FPS, the narrator can be obnoxious, lastly the load time became a real problem at the end because there's no skip cutscene and you have to sit for 2 to 3 minutes, then another two just to get back to the boss. And this is all after its latest patch, if you have incredible patience by all means you might enjoy this but if you're anyone else best to avoid this mess.
  7. Jul 2, 2020
    Storytelling so much better than some highly rated triple A game. Revenge story with quality
  8. May 22, 2020
    Good game, it's fun and it has vey good graphics, it looks very polished and the controls are easy to learn. Very recommended for those who are looking for fun eating humans. It's the best shark game ever.
  9. May 26, 2020
    Came back to play after a long week of work to play and all my progress was deleted. Not worth 40 bucks.
  10. May 24, 2020
    It's a fun game but oh my god it needs fixing. Experienced so many frame rate issues while playing. I also encountered two game crashes and my save file got corrupted at about 80% completion. I lost all motivation to play it. And I know I'm not the only one as a few of my friends also the same, none of us can be bothered to start again. Do not buy this game until this situation is patched.
  11. May 22, 2020
    good game...great story and gameplay.good work tripwire interactive.amazing game ...oh,.and we need killing floor 3 soon pls.
  12. May 26, 2020
    I'm okay with repetitive games, buggy games, laggy games, that hinder overall experience but still, to a certain extent, playable and enjoyable. But unfinished product, riddled with gameplay-affecting performance issues, and worst of all, constant crash that lead to corrupted save data, forcing players, if they have to will, to start over over and over again. That's just unacceptable, man.
  13. May 24, 2020
    Trata-se de um jogo extremamente divertido, com alguns problemas de performance que podem ser eventualmente resolvidos em atualizações futuras. É uma boa chance se sair d mesmice dos RPGS com temática medieval e mergulhar - literalmente, em um mundo interessante de ser explorado, e diferente do que já vimos antes. Além de tudo, constitui uma nítida crítica à forma como os humanos seTrata-se de um jogo extremamente divertido, com alguns problemas de performance que podem ser eventualmente resolvidos em atualizações futuras. É uma boa chance se sair d mesmice dos RPGS com temática medieval e mergulhar - literalmente, em um mundo interessante de ser explorado, e diferente do que já vimos antes. Além de tudo, constitui uma nítida crítica à forma como os humanos se comportam frente à natureza, caçando, matando e poluindo como se não houvesse amanhã. Expand
  14. May 26, 2020
    There are many problems:
    I got to level 19, I had played a few hours, I turned off the PS4 and when I booted it back up my save game was corrupted/erased.
    The game had frame pacing issues. I have a PS4 pro and the fans spin faster than when i play something like God of War. Weird considering how bad the game can look. I would expect a ps3 to be capable of running it. The start of the
    There are many problems:
    The game had frame pacing issues.
    The start of the game is extremely boring and there isn't enough to do. There is a severe lack of variety concerning the fish, upgrades, enemies and environments to an extent.
    There are so many glitches, you will encounter many. One glitch sent me flying over a fence into a different area (was this the reason for the save corruption? Who knows).
    The shark itself controls horribly, combat is frustrating.
    The game is massively overpriced, currently £40.
    In the right hands this game could have been good but currently it's a train wreck.
  15. Jun 28, 2020
    çsajlodkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkogbosadfngbaosljudngbsdoingbaodsfighpoaujbgfnpoiusajdfghb
  16. Jun 6, 2020
    Great game! Exciting, Intense BUT repetitive side missions and frame rate when fighting the mako shark drops terribly. Hope they make another.
  17. May 24, 2020
    I play the game on a Playstation 4 slim and its really good it makes fun and for 40 €/$ its a good game
  18. Nov 7, 2020
    Spent hours grinding out the game, i was level 22. Took a brake and came back and i was back to level 11??? I can't get certain upgrades because they're locked behind collectibles but the game says i unlocked them.
  19. May 31, 2020
    it's an exclusive egs **** Don't bay that **** because it's **** o_O My raiting that **** is 5 from 10 because that ****
  20. Jun 30, 2020
    Better than The Last of Us Part 2.
    This is the true game of this generation.
  21. Jul 28, 2020
    Craps all over The Shambles that is TLOU2. Superior in every conceivable way.

It is a lot of fun albeit a bit repetitive. It’s an ot game full of blood, guts and lunacy. A silly good time that doesn’t force any sanctimonious SJW crap down your throat.
  22. Jan 30, 2021
    Ever since Steven Spielberg conquered theaters back in 1975 with the hit movie Jaws, the gaming scene has been in need of a good shark game. While there have been a handful of titles over the years that have let you take control of nature's most dangerous aquatic predator, some even bearing the "Jaws" moniker, none have really delivered on the full potential of the premise the way ManeaterEver since Steven Spielberg conquered theaters back in 1975 with the hit movie Jaws, the gaming scene has been in need of a good shark game. While there have been a handful of titles over the years that have let you take control of nature's most dangerous aquatic predator, some even bearing the "Jaws" moniker, none have really delivered on the full potential of the premise the way Maneater does.

As you grow from vulnerable pup to unstoppable ocean terror you'll battle your way to the top of the underwater food chain by eating everything in your path to gain experience points and valuable nutrients that will allow you to level up and upgrade your various body parts and abilities respectively. The ultimate goal being to escape the backwater bayou you're tossed into, reach the open ocean, and take revenge on the shark hunter who killed your mother. The story itself plays out as a parody of reality shows like "Swamp People" and features an ever-present narrator played by Archer's Chris Parnell who regularly delivers amusing quips about whatever you're doing, making it clear that the game never takes itself too seriously.

Things get over-the-top in best of ways as you can breach the water's surface to hunt humans on land and even mutate beyond what nature intended as a result of chemical pollution. This leads to a surprising amount of customization options for your shark that include things like bone armor and electrically charged fins.

The core gameplay loop revolves around entering new areas and engaging in a little bit of population control of the local prey to draw out the region's apex predator for a boss battle before moving on. It's definitely a repetitive cycle, but it never got old for me as there's a constant sense of growth. Plus, exploring every beautiful environment for collectibles and side-objectives is a blast due to the amount of diversity in the scenery and Maneater having the best swimming mechanics of any game ever. Combat took a bit of getting used to due to the lack of a traditional lock-on system, but once I got the hang of darting around and realigning the camera to find my target I felt as powerful as one would hope to when inhabiting the body of massive bull shark.

As far as flaws go, there aren't many. I did encounter pretty regular frame rate issues when swimming near the surface, particularly whenever boats were around, and one time I accidentally caused a boss to glitch out and not be able to fight back by knocking him from a larger body of water into a smaller one. All relatively minor things though that didn't really hinder my enjoyment, so I don't have much to complain about.

In fact, Maneater is simply the shark power fantasy I've always wanted. Even after unlocking the relatively easy platinum trophy I still find myself wanting more of its cathartic thrills and the strangely serene feeling I got from just swimming around the map. This has led to what should of have been a stupid, B-movie level good time at most unironically being one of my favorite games of 2020, if not my personal GotY, and I highly recommend that everyone check it out for it's originality alone.

9.2/10
  23. Jul 29, 2020
    CONTROLS ARE AWFUL..
    Esp the annoying animations that lock you into a move or thrust..
    Jumping outta the water wshoulda woulda coulda been soo much more echo the Dolphin like better.. or a quicker animation where you aren't locked into the lunge... ~~Also,,you can spam dodge and that was kinda lame... ~The positives ~Being a shark ~Eating everything ~Layout/ui This reminds me of
    CONTROLS ARE AWFUL..
    Esp the annoying animations that lock you into a move or thrust..
    ~~Also,,you can spam dodge and that was kinda lame...
    ~The positives
    ~Being a shark
    ~Eating everything
    ~Layout/ui
    This reminds me of the recent 'Vampyre" game..
    It was hyped into being something uber awesome & fun but wasw a on rails bore fest not worth even bothering etc...
    I didn't buy Maneater i gamefly rented it but wanted to buy if it we're awesome via the "Keep option".

The game has promise but it coulda be so much more fun had the controls been tighter/crisp..
    Im going with a 3 because i made to 1 full session 6 hours long and couldnt takes no mores....
  24. May 29, 2020
    If you are looking for a fun mindless video game, give this title a try. Large enough open world to explore, with good RPG elements to it. It is not an AAA level experience but a really good AA single player experience. It can be repetitive but you are a giant fish. What else can you do besides eat anything you come across? It is cartoonish, and over the top at times which adds to theIf you are looking for a fun mindless video game, give this title a try. Large enough open world to explore, with good RPG elements to it. It is not an AAA level experience but a really good AA single player experience. It can be repetitive but you are a giant fish. What else can you do besides eat anything you come across? It is cartoonish, and over the top at times which adds to the fun. I have not experienced any glitches so far, at the half way point in the story. You are a shark, have fun and cause havoc! Expand
  25. Jun 6, 2020
    was really looking forward to this game.
    but buggy and glitchy, save corruption and loss. CONTROLS ARE HORRIBLE !
    for claiming to be a rpg yet there is NO constant map on screen, no lock on. pre order tiger skin was handled very poorly, punishing pre orders unless you bought PHYSICAL at two or three different stores. so they apparently dont appreciate digital supporters of their game,
    was really looking forward to this game.
    but buggy and glitchy, save corruption and loss. CONTROLS ARE HORRIBLE !
    for claiming to be a rpg yet there is NO constant map on screen, no lock on.
    pre order tiger skin was handled very poorly, punishing pre orders unless you bought PHYSICAL at two or three different stores. so they apparently dont appreciate digital supporters of their game, and only part of physical buyers.
    very let down. 6/10 (minus 1 point no constant on screen map, and one for horrible dlc handling, 2 for save loss and glitches)
  26. Jun 8, 2020
    This game delivers on its promise. You are a shark that eats everything and evolves throughout the game. But due to being underwater, and being a shark, the controls are unintuitive. If ya wanna play this game be ready for a heaping dose of clunk, because combat in this game can be a nightmare. I can't tell you the amount of times I have yelled "NO! I DON'T WANNA GO THE SURFACE! I CANT SEEThis game delivers on its promise. You are a shark that eats everything and evolves throughout the game. But due to being underwater, and being a shark, the controls are unintuitive. If ya wanna play this game be ready for a heaping dose of clunk, because combat in this game can be a nightmare. I can't tell you the amount of times I have yelled "NO! I DON'T WANNA GO THE SURFACE! I CANT SEE NOW!" This is a great game, and idea, but is ultimately held down by several flaws, and bad controls. Also update before playing. Several glitches were in the 1.0 version that stopped autosave from working, meaning that if you died, you better be ready to start all over. Also, if you're deaf, be careful. Dialogue goes fast, and the subtitles are tiny. Expand
  27. Jun 6, 2020
    PS4 PRO version is unplayable right now. The console is regularly overheating and the fan noise is simply unbearable. (I have cleaned it last week and i haven't encountered this issue with my other games)

Otherwise the game seems fun at first sight, but after 2 hours the gameplay loop is already looking pretty repetitive. Also, i think $40 is way overpriced for this kind of little game.

IMO game worth a 6/10 so far, but i put a 0 until they fix this overheating issue.

EDIT 05/29/20 : I wanted to play a little more today, but my save has just disappeared...

EDIT 06/06/20 : A new patch is now available and seems to fix the most problematic issues
  28. Jun 2, 2020
    Maneater
    a swimmingly good time
    Maneater is an 8 hour long action rpg where you play as a shark, to prevent spoilers ill just say this is a revenge story… A revenge story that is told through a reality tv style… here you swim the swamps and oceans on your quest to become a mega shark.. and really this is just a game about dumb fun, eating other animals, battling your way up the food
    Maneater
    a swimmingly good time
    A revenge story that is told through a reality tv style…
    eating other animals, battling your way up the food chain, completing quests and finding collectables to progress through the story…
    And again this is just a dumb fun game.. it’s a nice distraction.. as maneater overall is pretty repetitive and tedious after a while… a game that’s more fun with breaks in between a new rigion… I never really found the exploration to be fun or even aquring new skills or leveling up the different equippable upgrades.. this game is simply swim and either take on a hunted animal in that region, take on an apex animal which is a regions boss fights, do some population control or eat some humans… rinse repeat all the way til the end of the game..
    Maneater is its most special during its first few hours as youre flaing with all the cool things you can do.. hopping on shore to snack on some human flesh.. antagonizing bounty hunters to come out and play so you can eat them and aquire a new upgradable item to increase your stains or gain a new ability… all of this is a blast… but it remains a blast to the past afterwards as maneater doesn’t really do much to keep you entertained beyond those first few hours..
    eventually it just feels like a map cleaning game..
    Ultimately though maneater is fun distraction… despite the tedium I thankfully had a revenge story pulling me through, and a progression system that actually felt like It mattered..
    I give maneater
    a 7/10
  29. Jun 30, 2020
    Stunning game, excellent storytelling that builds upon the unforgiving ocean. Top notch gameplay for its genre. Another masterpiece by Tripwire Interactive.
  30. May 27, 2020
    this is a fun unique game that does a great job of not taking itself seriously. the environments are cool, the controls are solid, and the game play is fun. i can see it getting a little repetitive over time, but I've been playing it in 30min to 1 hour chunks and i'm still having lots of fun. more than anything else its super refreshing to play a game with a different perspective andthis is a fun unique game that does a great job of not taking itself seriously. the environments are cool, the controls are solid, and the game play is fun. i can see it getting a little repetitive over time, but I've been playing it in 30min to 1 hour chunks and i'm still having lots of fun. more than anything else its super refreshing to play a game with a different perspective and setting. Big props to Tripwire for making this happen. bottom line, if you are looking for a fun distraction or want to be a shark for a wile, then this is your game! Expand
  31. Feb 6, 2021
    I got this game free as a PS Plus member and was thoroughly entertained whole I had it installed. The mechanics are good in my opinion, and the swimming seemed very natural as opposed to many other games where the swimming doesn't seem as thought out. During my playthrough, I didn't have to use any guides as the game is very self-explanatory and I was able to enjoy it more because of that.I got this game free as a PS Plus member and was thoroughly entertained whole I had it installed. The mechanics are good in my opinion, and the swimming seemed very natural as opposed to many other games where the swimming doesn't seem as thought out. During my playthrough, I didn't have to use any guides as the game is very self-explanatory and I was able to enjoy it more because of that. Once you reach level 30 though, your main goal is simply to advance the story, collect all the variations of the shark, and trophy hunt. Speaking of the trophy hunting, this was one of the easier Platinum trophies I had achieved as the majority of achievements are completed to advance the game anyway. The reasons I'm not giving this a higher rating are that once the game is completed and a Platinum trophy is easily achieved, there is very little replayability. You can of course go around as a shark eating all the humans, but it gets very repetitive after a short time and doesn't create the sense of desire to start again from scratch like classic games. The short nature of this game makes it feel like a visually and mechanically remaster of a PS2 era game, which isn't bad, but with the amount of potential this has and the current era of gaming we are in, it seems like it was pushed out. If DLC does get released, I will most definitely purchase, especially because I got this game for free. Expand
  32. Jun 7, 2020
    This review takes in account experiences made on a PS4 Pro with SSD and patch version 1.04. For me this game is fun-wise a 10 but it lacks variety and even after some much needed patching the game does not run perfectly smooth. If you are fine with button mashing and kind of repetitive open world gameplay you are up for an amazing ride, lots of fun and a not so serious story that will haveThis review takes in account experiences made on a PS4 Pro with SSD and patch version 1.04. For me this game is fun-wise a 10 but it lacks variety and even after some much needed patching the game does not run perfectly smooth. If you are fine with button mashing and kind of repetitive open world gameplay you are up for an amazing ride, lots of fun and a not so serious story that will have you laugh.

Earlier versions of the game suffered save game corruption and worse performance issues, so 1.04 was the moment I decided to buy the game (still for full price). You start as a small shark and basically eat and explore your way up to the top of natures food chain. Gaining experience, new mutations so you can be poisonous, electric or just brutally strong. Unlocking mutations is done by progressing and unlocking the world or fighting shark hunter bosses.

Whatever you kill gives you ressource on 4 different ressource pools that you need to upgrade secondary skills or mutations. If you do a thorough playthrough (aiming for 100%) you will most probably never be in the need to explicitly farm for ressources. Have a bite here and there go for story missions and cash in sub-quests for a constant flow of ressources. If you upgrade and pick the correct secondary skills you benefit from more ressource income while healing yourself. Every area will have you find collectibles, ressource treasures, fight special shark bosses and climax with a story progression fight. Thats the basic game loop you will progress over multiple areas.

The world and atmosphere is well done. The shark feeling and immersion is fun and well installed. The beginning feels a little bit bothersome but oh well which early steps in life are easy. If you can get beyond the first area the game takes a big leap and also the scenery gets way more interesting. Sadly the game does not look as beautiful as on PC but it still has some amazing moments. Some regions suffer lack of detail in my opinion and could need a wider horizontal view. I can only think of performance reasons behind this.

Controlling the shark felt a little bit confusing at the beginning. I have to admit that I had to take small breaks at earlier stages because camera swaps are hefty but it gets better when you know what you have to do. There is no real target lock only a target view, which might be the better choice but it is something you have to get used to and also get into some serious button mashing.

Overall I had so much fun with this game that I would ve never thought of. It was this "only one more boss, only one more area, only one more upgrade" and in the midst of the night I had nearly 80% of the game done. Even going completionist the game will (depending on your personal skills) probably only take around 10 to 14hrs which is a little bit sad. The developers missed some opportunities to make the game more worthwhile and last longer. I think more variety in quests and extended sub-stories would ve helped. The game is still very fun. 40 bucks is the full price, maybe you want to wait for a small discount but the game is still fun after all so why wait if you are truly interested.

I hope they gonna do some DLCs or Maneater 2. I can see this franchise having a bright future and I reallly would want to see an extended update for upcoming consoles to enjoy it once again with even better graphics and details.
  33. Oct 26, 2020
    I don't think I've ever experienced quite as much intense frustration and disappointment from a game. I played it for only a couple of hours but found myself getting so constantly annoyed and angry so I gave up to salvage my losses and trade the game in.

So where does Maneater go wrong? I want so say almost everywhere, but I'll focus on primarily the controls and the camera. The

The camera is your worst enemy in this game. Why the hell didn't anybody realise a hard lock-on was necessary? There were so many times where I launched at an enemy and went straight past it because the arbitrary lock on didn't detect it. Eventually I learned little tweaks of the controls to manipulate things into balance a bit more, but this was effort to overcome a barrier that should not have been in the game. When you launch past a powerful enemy by accident, you leave yourself wide open to their attack.

And so rarely do I encounter a game with such unfriendly controls. They are incredibly jerky and nowhere near fluid or smooth. The controls make combat and traversal a real pain. Who the hell decided that mashing R2 is a good way to consume prey? It's literally painful as I can feel repetitive strain injury building up. The shark literally can't do anything smoothly. A lot of the time I'm fighting against the game to get it working. Many of the movements seem to respond randomly, with button-bashing sometimes working best and methodical tapping working best at other times.

The menu schemes are like something out of a free to pay game on a smartphone. I expected to find microtransactions due to the design but fortunately did not come across any, unless they are very subtle. A less cartoon-ish menu would be more inviting and less of an eyesore.

I get the game isn't meant to be taken too seriously - that's why I bought it. However I would have expected development to be taken seriously, which it doesn't seem to have been. At the very least I was hoping for a swim in the seaside to gobble up tourists, and the game lets you do that right at the start before taking you away to dump you in a swamp that is a disgusting combination of colour palettes, vacuity and grinding. Yes, swamps are ugly, but you're trying to keep me engaged in the game and a pleasant or varied environment helps. Save the swamps for mid-game diversity.

Overall, this was a maddening experience, worsened by the realisation that there would be huge amounts of repetition to eat fish to grow and power up. I cannot recommend this game without some substantial improvements being made to it, especially at the current prices.
  34. Jun 11, 2020
    Maneater is an ok game, but sadly it is just ok. The graphics and world design are fantastic and both the the underwater world and above look great. The basic gameplay is not bad at all either and the missions start out a lot of fun but then get VERY repetitive, even to the point that you are actually just repeating the exact same mission several times over just to progress the story. AndManeater is an ok game, but sadly it is just ok. The graphics and world design are fantastic and both the the underwater world and above look great. The basic gameplay is not bad at all either and the missions start out a lot of fun but then get VERY repetitive, even to the point that you are actually just repeating the exact same mission several times over just to progress the story. And it's this feeling of relentless grinding that really brings the fun factor down. The story elements of the game are very short and not a great reward for the masses of grinding in between. The other problem with this RPG grinding system is the progression cap. We all know how RPG mechanics work, you grind, level up and get more powerful so you can defeat higher level enemies as you go. In maneater you get to level 30 and that's it. Leaving you with enemies that will always be considerably more powerful than you can ever be (i encountered up to level 65 enemies) Why implement an RPG grinding system if you are going to cap the players progress that low?!

Once the game is over there really isn't much left to do and you get nothing for completing the game, which means there is no real replay factor other than wanting to chomp some stupid fat humans (which is great fun!)

What this game really needed was a more involved story, with some proper side missions with story, and more thought put into the RPG elements of the game. Some of the mechanics are just lazy game design where they have just copy and pasted the same missions (kill 10 hammerheads 3 times)

There are also several known bugs and random loading screen issues, but i'm sure patches will fix those. But ultimately the studio needs to add some content and fix the very disappointing progression system. And give players a reason to come back to the game when they complete it. (some kind of after completion content)
  35. May 30, 2020
    I never knew this game existed until it launched and it was all over YouTube. This game is unique, creative and a blast to play! I can't put it down and am pleasantly surprised. I highly recommend you check it out
  36. Sep 29, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maneater is one of the most fun and funniest game that I've played this year. Who though that playing bull shark who causes havoc and rampage would be so much fun? Its one of those games that you can just sit back and play casually since the game is not hard (it's only hard if you try to go up against a predator that is many levels higher than you when you're still a low level shark since this game is an rpg). Great gameplay and good graphics. Great sound design and great soundtrack.

Some of the flaws with this game is that due to to the fact that you play as a shark, you are very limited with what you can do . You can bite, thrash prey, do a tail swipe, dodge attacks, and that's about it. Due to this, the game can get repetitive after a while, but fortunately, it doesn't overstay its welcome as the game is anywhere between 15-25 hours long. The story is just ok, nothing really special, you play as a female bull shark who has to get revenge on a hunter named Scaly Pete who killed her mother and disfigured her when she was just a pup and you do eventually get revenge at the end, but at the cost of her life.
    Another thing that I found disappointing with the game is the AI behavior of predator animals. In other open world games like Far Cry, you see predators attacking other NPCs. In this game, predator only attack you when you get too close to them and that's about all they do. They don't try to attack and eat other prey animals, other predators, or humans. Due to this, don't be surprised if you find yourself getting double or even triple teamed on by predators of different species, which is just stupid.
    The game also has issues with performance as the frame rate can drop to the low 20s on both PS4 and PS4 Pro during intense fights with shark hunters. The game has also crashed on me like 3 times during the 23 hours I spent playing it and it crashed when I obtained the platinum trophy.
    The asking price of $40 is a little too high IMO for the amount of content in the game. I waited for a price drop and its a good thing I did, I got it for only $30.

All in all, Maneater is a solid 8/10 and maybe its not game of the year material, but it still is a very fun game that I recommend if you're looking for something that a bit different.
  37. Jun 19, 2020
    Of course "Maneater" is more trashy and very powerful. Especially the violence provides the fun and the attraction of the title in the course of the game. So the further development of the shark is really fun and motivates especially in the first hours. The developers' ideas are successful and always drive you through the different missions. The graphical presentation gives you a decentOf course "Maneater" is more trashy and very powerful. Especially the violence provides the fun and the attraction of the title in the course of the game. So the further development of the shark is really fun and motivates especially in the first hours. The developers' ideas are successful and always drive you through the different missions. The graphical presentation gives you a decent performance. The sound also rounds off the positive atmosphere. Thanks to the numerous updates the title finally becomes playable and will bring you a lot of joy with the shark if you get involved.

(https://www.playmoregames.de/post/maneater-ps4--xb1--nsw--pc-im-test)
  38. May 23, 2020
    This game is exactly what the world needs right now! Old school, pure fun.
  39. May 24, 2020
    Absolutely loved this game, a breath of fresh air and a step in the good direction for the gaming industry overall. I had a blast growing and swimming through the swamp, then lakes, then ocean of the vast map. Contrary to what I’ve read, I did not find this game that repetitive and when I finished it I wanted more. The great shark customization and progression keeps you hooked and givesAbsolutely loved this game, a breath of fresh air and a step in the good direction for the gaming industry overall. I had a blast growing and swimming through the swamp, then lakes, then ocean of the vast map. Contrary to what I’ve read, I did not find this game that repetitive and when I finished it I wanted more. The great shark customization and progression keeps you hooked and gives meaning to the quests. Again, I loved this game and almost can’t say anything bad about it except for some performance issues when my shark was boosted and swimming really fast (have to say I am on first gen PS4). This is a must play for anyone that likes RPGs or anyone that wants a unique and fun experience. I would 120% buy a DLC where you get to play as a crocodile, an alligator or whatever mutant beast they’d like to throw at us ! Huge thanks to Tripwire, first time that I take the time to write a review after completing a game and these guys deserve it. Expand
  40. May 28, 2020
    I really enjoyed this game. Free-roam where you unlock multiple smaller areas that intertwine with plenty of collectibles, missions and unlockables for your character. I really enjoy the progression, where you do missions for one specified area to unlock the next area. Though all of the pre-mentioned can get a little repetitive, it still feels nice to explore a new underwater area, up andI really enjoyed this game. Free-roam where you unlock multiple smaller areas that intertwine with plenty of collectibles, missions and unlockables for your character. I really enjoy the progression, where you do missions for one specified area to unlock the next area. Though all of the pre-mentioned can get a little repetitive, it still feels nice to explore a new underwater area, up and down! You can even go on land briefly. There are basically only 3 “classes” you can chose from, once you unlock them piece by piece. There is a leveling system that will keep you killing to see what your shark will turn into next! Very easy to 100% the game and get all of it’s trophies Expand
  41. May 31, 2020
    Really enjoyed the game. I already Platinum it. I love the cutscenes of the game, they're quick enjoyable and sometimes funny. There's a ton of collactible to get in each of the 7 zones. The landmarks are amazingly designed and some easter eggs and found within them. I like the customization we can do with the evolution progress. I really hope DLC will be added to the game. I expect newReally enjoyed the game. I already Platinum it. I love the cutscenes of the game, they're quick enjoyable and sometimes funny. There's a ton of collactible to get in each of the 7 zones. The landmarks are amazingly designed and some easter eggs and found within them. I like the customization we can do with the evolution progress. I really hope DLC will be added to the game. I expect new regions, new evolutions lines and an higher max level. I though it was underwhelming to see some ennemies with a way higher level than a megalodon. Maybe we could see once all the collectible obtained, a second upgrade to the megalo size since there will not be needed to go in really small place anymore. Make it huge! If the DLC comes to life, I think its important to add amore variation of ennemies. In the game, each zome has some unique ennemies but they can be count on a single hand. I'd like to see a giant octopus. Seeing our shark bite away tentacles after tentacles would be awesome. Also maybe an artic zone with narwal, polar bear etc. To resume, the game is great, deserving a 7/10 but there's plenty of work to do on the game to increase this score. Expand
  42. Jun 28, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let’s not beat around the bush here: sandboxes are everywhere. I mean cover yourself in glue and sprint into an EB games while blindfolded and you'll come out with at least one sandbox ( bonus points if it doesn't have a Ubisoft logo.) But the concept of an underwater open world, an "open sea world" if you will, is an avenue that hasn't had its fair shake; especially one where you can play as a one shark Sharknado. so for that reason, I played Maneater and in short: it's good for as long as the spectacle of chowing down on humans like sentient chicken nuggets last, but spoiler it doesn't stay exciting for 15 hours.

You play as a baby bull shark that starts off eating small fish and avoiding alligators, till you eat enough to grow into a teen shark, to a great white and then into a megamouth megalodon with electric powered fins and stone-like armour. How does that work I hear you ask? Good question... no freaking clue. Game progress is somewhat world of warcraftie because missions consist of you eating 10 of something and for you to grow and become more efficient at eating more groups of 10. The game comes more into its own with its Apex Predator missions when you take on the great bosses of the sea. That’s where the game comes into its own and presents some satisfying challenge where you need to time your dodge and bite down at the right moment. But then I killed off the final predator that was a Sperm whale... (There’s a dirty joke in there somewhere), and all that is left are the shark hunters and they were about as challenging as devouring a bag of chips after the blunt you where smoking kicked in.

You eventually have a boss fight... well, boss fights with the shark hunter who killed your mother, who by the way, a shark hunter I felt more sorry for than anything; yes he's a stereotype if there ever was one but he comes off pretty human for this game as we rip him apart limb from limb. Which brings me to the theme: it’s portrayed as a shark attack comedy, hence Jerry Smith's voice actor on commentary, but is it a comedy if it doesn't make you laugh? Because he's material doesn't even reach entry-level Dad joke territory. All he does is keep reminding me how much I eat every god damn minute…. YES I GET IT JERRY, IM A SHARK, ALL I DO IS EAT, I'VE ONLY BEEN DOING IT FOR THE LAST 10 HOURS!!!!

I still found myself going back to Maneater because it was good for a relaxing collect-a-thon... there wasn't much else to do after I eat every bit of challenge the game had. but even as a mindless collect-a-thon, I've played better games that combined challenge with the joy of discovery. the maps were well thought out and I loved the work the developers put into the atmosphere, but even tracking down licence plates and radioactive treasure becomes trivial really quickly; in saying that, it didn't stop me from 100%ing the game and getting the platinum trophy because it was dangling in front of me like a chocolate sundae on a fishing line so I guess we will call it even Maneater.
  43. Jun 20, 2020
    Fun game, enjoyed the story can't wait for some DLC. Did crash for me a couple times but other than that had no problems
  44. Jun 23, 2020
    Story 6/10
    Gameplay 9/10
    Graphics 9/10

I really enjoyed this game the controls are solid, and the game play is fun.
  45. Jun 20, 2020
    Have you ever wanted to go on a rampage as a shark? This is a really weird game to review. There are some pretty basic sidequests and I experienced some glitched. But it is so much fun swimming around as a shark and going on a rampage! The story is a weird mix between an 80s horror movie and a nature show. I love it
  46. Jun 28, 2020
    Thia game is awesome! Its the only one ive ever gotten platinum trophy becuz i just kept playing and playing
  47. Jul 1, 2020
    This game fills with awesome carnage and fills out the desire to play as a frickin shark and has become my favorite game 10/10
  48. Jul 9, 2020
    This game is genuinely great fun, a breath of fresh air compared to the last of us part 2 which really disappointed me. Maneater is a concept that shouldn't work but it just fits and provides hours of fun starting to restore my faith in the gaming industry.
  49. Jun 26, 2020
    So, I wanted to love this game, I was expecting it, after all, playing a shark can be so fun. But in the end, this 12 hours adventure became quickly boring. 8 zones basically, and each time, you do the same things again and again. Eat some humans, eat 10 fishes from that species, find collectibles, find the big hunter of the zone, and here you go, next one. The first hours were fun toSo, I wanted to love this game, I was expecting it, after all, playing a shark can be so fun. But in the end, this 12 hours adventure became quickly boring. 8 zones basically, and each time, you do the same things again and again. Eat some humans, eat 10 fishes from that species, find collectibles, find the big hunter of the zone, and here you go, next one. The first hours were fun to play. Easy gameplay, graphics are ok, but when you notice there is nothing more to do, to learn, it becomes boring. Shame. Expand
  50. Jul 1, 2020
    The campaign was a bit silly, but exactly what you would've wanted from a game about playing as a giant shark. The $40 price tag plus a pre-existing love of sharks since i was very young made this an easy decision and delightful surprise. The game starts off with you setting up the revenge story as the antagonist kills our shark's mama, and marks the protagonist shark with a scar so he'llThe campaign was a bit silly, but exactly what you would've wanted from a game about playing as a giant shark. The $40 price tag plus a pre-existing love of sharks since i was very young made this an easy decision and delightful surprise. The game starts off with you setting up the revenge story as the antagonist kills our shark's mama, and marks the protagonist shark with a scar so he'll be able to identify the shark "When i see her again." The game then drops you into a bayou filled with catfish, turtles and groupers to feed on, as well as predatory muskellunge and very difficult to topple alligator. As your shark grows, you gain evolutions allowing you to do unnatural abilities for a shark, my favorite being a lightning evade where the shark literally turns into lightning and dodge incoming attacks.

I felt this game delivered exactly what i wanted it to deliver when firing it up. Let me be a shark and do ridiculous shark things, whether thats infiltrating an orca enclosure at Water Park, or literally flopping up on land and attacking the humans who couldn't react quick enough. Chris Parnell was perfect for this, and the only thing wrong was that there wasn't enough of him. He definitely helped give this game a nature channel show vibe and the back and forth between Scaly Pete and the cameraman was very entertaining in the limited cutscenes. Another major plus was the Apex Predator fights, where your shark goes toe to toe with a variety of unique versions of the natural wildlife ( the orca had the Free Willy fin, which i found hilarious). These typically occurred when you cleared enough of the side quests in a given area to unlock the apex. I also really enjoyed the location hunting, which saw your shark biting street signs that immediately led to a very short scene of the location and a witty description from our narrator Chris Parnell. A fun example was "Longest First Date" which was a sunken rowboat with two skeletons that was not cleaned up due to jurisdiction issues between two areas police departments.

As far as downsides go, I was unfortunately one of the folks who was affected by the corrupt save issues, finishing 2/3 game at 100% and then having your save corrupt was mind numbingly frustrating, but I felt as if I had enough game left to go to be able to jump back in. Credit to Tripwire, who were open to the issues and clearly outlined them as they fixed them. The campaign is not terrible long, and completing the entire game 100% only took me about 20 hours. (please note there are $60 games that don't have campaigns that long.)

The camera was very wonky at times, and i wish the camera was easier to lock on opposing creatures and ships while in combat, but overall not game breaking. The missions did get a bit tedious, and honestly I'm not sure there are any sea turtles or seals left in the Caviar Key after all those population control missions.

Overall, this was a blast. Tripwire absolutely nailed the feeling of being an oceanic god.

Positives:
    - Just an absolute blast, expect a silly fun campaign and you will not be disappointed
    - Chris Parnell's narration
    - Tons of customizable ways to play your shark with the evolutions
    - Apex Predator fights

Negatives:
    - SO. MANY. ALLIGATORS.
    - Wonky Camera
    - Corrupt save issues
    - Tedious side missions

51. Jul 2, 2020
    Generally a really good game and a really fun gameplay.
    I would recommend it. I give it a 9/10
  52. Jul 13, 2020
    Simple but really fun game. I had a blast with it!
    It reminds me of a GTA but with sharks if it makes any sense xD
  53. Jul 21, 2020
    Game is easy to platinum and can be beaten in less then 15 hours. The game had some performance issues on the base ps4. Sometimes if you got going to fast the game would get super blurry and i would say a quarter of the time it would crash. I liked the shark week style story.
  54. Jul 26, 2020
    Good game, friends ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  55. Jul 29, 2020
    This game surprised me on how good it is, upgrade system is good, swimming around as a shark can be cool sometimes.
  56. Dec 9, 2020
    a fun concept ruined in the final minutes by bad controls and an overly hard final boss fight . the bad controls aren't an issue until the end, but once you get there it is a glaring weakness. a classic example of a dev substituting difficulty for substance. It starts off fun, but gets repetitive fairly quickly. the commentary is hilarious and i liked finding the land marks, but thea fun concept ruined in the final minutes by bad controls and an overly hard final boss fight . the bad controls aren't an issue until the end, but once you get there it is a glaring weakness. a classic example of a dev substituting difficulty for substance. It starts off fun, but gets repetitive fairly quickly. the commentary is hilarious and i liked finding the land marks, but the last battle really ruined the game for me. still have yet to complete it. Expand
  57. Jan 5, 2021
    Excellent game albeit repetitive. Tremendous amount of fun though story is fine for what it is
  58. Jan 29, 2021
    This has similarities with Jaws: Unleashed (ps2) but this includes obvious improvements and a better upgrade system. This was good fun but a little short. The major drawback is it's total lack of replay value. No DLC and no multiplayer really make it limited. The trophies are also easy and getting platinum is no problem. It's a good laugh, but only worth buying at reduced sale price.
  59. Feb 14, 2021
    Lots of fun! Playing and exploring from the shark point of view! Controls are solid. Graphics are good.
    I wish the game is longer, a bit too short.
    Meanwhile never have any problem losing levels or game crashing on PS4.
  60. Mar 6, 2021
    Great commentary and can be fun for the first hour or two, but after that there isn't much calling you back the story is weak, the side activities are all the same.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 34 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 13, 2020
    Unfortunately, Maneater does not have very much post-game content or replayability, but it’s a tremendously epic, over-the-top open-world action RPG where you dominate the ocean as an apex predator, gaining new and improved bio-adaptations as you rank up. Kindly do yourself a favor and play it!
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Jun 26, 2020
    A heck of a catch. There’s plenty below the surface: this shark RPG isn’t afraid to comment on cycles of violence and pollution, while also being a gleefully good time. [Issue#177, p.145]
  3. CD-Action
    Jun 25, 2020
    The quests are painfully repetitive, you wouldn’t also call them creative exactly. But throughout the 15 hours of gameplay the ‘one more mission syndrome’ was more than apparent. [07/2020, p.44]