7.6

1. Mar 26, 2020
    Disappointing.

Nioh 1 was an impressive achievement for a first entry in a new series. It had a lot of problems, but the foundation was there. Unfortunately, to a large degree Nioh 2 is a copy of the first game, both in terms of design and content. Pretty much all the problems from the first game are still here. Extremely bland and unmemorable level/area design. A lack of sensible
    Disappointing.

Pretty much all the problems from the first game are still here. Extremely bland and unmemorable level/area design. A lack of sensible input queueing means needing to hammer buttons. Regular enemies having tons of HP makes encounters initially challenging, but once you learn the patterns it just makes for tedious fights. The delay between pushing the button to block and your character actually blocking combined with the generally high speed of swings from enemies results in many hits where you were holding the block button for what felt like the entire incoming swing. Too many ambush enemies, a bit too much useless loot and the odd system of "selling" loot to the kodama for elixirs.

Some new problems are added. Performing a burst counter will quite often result in both you and the enemy getting hit simultaneously which just feels wrong. Similarly, you don't seem to be protected at all when using soul core / Yokai abilities; triggering a "super" and transforming into a giant beast only to immediately die from being poked by a puny skeleton warrior also feels wrong. Finally, it seems every human boss can be beaten using the same very basic strategy.

On the positive side the cutscenes look really good and the game has plenty of moments when the combat flows really nicely. Having the three different stances is still good and somewhat unique. Some of the nonhuman bosses are fun and challenging.

I don't regret my purchase but I don't think the game is worth full price. This isn't so much Nioh 2 as it is Nioh 1.2. Definitely wait for a sale.
  2. Apr 1, 2020
    Initially, Nioh 2 seems like a natural successor to Nioh 1. I was really enjoying my first 10 hours with the game, but the realization that I had already seen all the good things the game had to offer started sinking in. The new burst counter mechanic feels really nice to pull off, and it's cool that you get so many different types of burst moves. It's just too bad that most of them putInitially, Nioh 2 seems like a natural successor to Nioh 1. I was really enjoying my first 10 hours with the game, but the realization that I had already seen all the good things the game had to offer started sinking in. The new burst counter mechanic feels really nice to pull off, and it's cool that you get so many different types of burst moves. It's just too bad that most of them put you into animation lock that will most likely be the death of you. And that's really all the game becomes, eventually. Conquering your death. You will die, a lot. And very often it's a single hit that does you in. You will most likely need to pop elixir as soons as you took the smallest of nudge, because if you're not in full health, the amount of attacks that will finish you off only increases (it seems a huge amount of different kinds of enemy hits take 80%-100% of your health), which kinda defeat the purpose of any health upgrades you may get. Or armor, for that matter.

You will notice that the hitboxes on certain moves are pretty bad. I got pretty far before I started noticing that I was nowhere near the hit enemy made when I took damage (this was especially apparent in a boss fight where said boss uses a laser. The hitbox is WAY larger than the actual laser on screen). It's a shame that your movement can't match the speed of most of your enemies, which seem to read your inputs and often are faster than you with their hits. It doesn't help that some enemies have excessively accurate lock on. The burst counter often results in you trading hits with the enemy you're facing, and sometimes, you will essentially stare down a red, rushing burst of energy at the speed of a bullet. Countering it is doable, but failing to do so may result in your death: I ran this issue with a certain huge boss in a pit, and in this case it was a move that is very hard to dodge unless you are very close to the boss. This is another unfair bit. There are times when you need to keep your distance, but this may trigger a move from a boss that you absolutely have no other chance to dodge than to burst counter it without getting hit. And as stated before you may very likely die from that hit, and you very often trade burst counter with the hit of the enemy.

Another new addition is the acolyte system. Basically, people can leave a blue grave of their phantom, controlled by AI (like the red graves in original), but these ones are NPC's of your own that supposedly assist you in battle. Unfortunately, the programming of the assisting AI works nothing like the red grave AI, which handles aggressive and defensive play quite well. You will find the acolytes either refuse to attack enemies, or despite having 10 chances to heal themselves at the brink of death, they will very rarely do it. They will be useless in boss battles, since they die pretty fast, but scale boss health accordingly because you're now facing the boss with 2 players, essentially. Another weird thing is that summoning acolyte can cost anywhere between 1-5 Ochoko Cups, a relatively rare currency, while summoning an actual human player as a visitor always costs only 1. I don't think I need delve any further to get my point across why this is a horribly implemented system: the AI just doesn't work, and the price for it is way too high. Never, ever resort to these in boss battles.

There are a few high notes for the game, but the overall experience was pretty unpleasant. While you do learn the bosses eventually, and find them to be much easier later on, the process is filled with poor game design and Ki mechanic that doesn't follow the same rules for you and the enemies. You might have easier time in Co-op, and I gave it a try. For me, it worked pretty badly, and the enemies either didn't take the damage that was given to them, they teleported all over the place or simply immediately regenerated the damage that wasn't given. It's hard to say whether this is connection related, since I seem to have no issues with other online games.

Some people will find this kind of challenge appealing, and will think that the game is good as it is. I find these things to be issues that cannot be overlooked. It would be a much better game if the mechanics worked as perfectly as they seem on paper, or if the enemies were a little bit less punishing with their damage. It is kind of silly that a 90 foot demon hits you with an overhead hammer hit for the same amount of damage as a small, little pesky runt slaps you in the face with their most basic hit (I am not kidding). Every hit was designed to be able to kill you very easily, and I do mean EVERY hit. If this isn't the kind of thing that bothers you, then you will find a game with lots of content and tons of challenge. While my 60 hours have almost resulted in a platinum, I will not return to the game of Nioh 2, and I cannot recommend this over the better examples, like Dark Souls series or especially Bloodborne, which does difficulty miles better.
  3. Mar 18, 2020
    I'm glad to face the challenge in any 1 on 1 fight with a strong enemy. But in this game, only the intense BOSS fights could give me good feelings. NIOH 2 lacks new designed enemies, but embedded too many conspiracies. Always surrounded by the enemies that I have fighted many many times. Nothing changes since NIOH 1. Nothing changes in level design. Far behind Soul's series, notI'm glad to face the challenge in any 1 on 1 fight with a strong enemy. But in this game, only the intense BOSS fights could give me good feelings. NIOH 2 lacks new designed enemies, but embedded too many conspiracies. Always surrounded by the enemies that I have fighted many many times. Nothing changes since NIOH 1. Nothing changes in level design. Far behind Soul's series, not interesting at all. Expand
  4. Mar 15, 2020
    Too much of the same from first game. And what a great idea to add one attack kills to almost every enemy. I am not stuck but have very little will to continue playing.
  5. Mar 14, 2020
    It's difficult for the sake of being difficult.

It's difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Nioh 1 had its challenges as well but it felt like you could actually progress and become powerful. Here? Not at all. I enjoy a good challenge but the game is poorly balanced. Weapons feel underwhelming, skills are still mostly useless. The suggested level for missions is pointless as even if you are more than double the level, you will still get destroyed by damage sponge enemies that deal ridiculous damage to your over-leveled and over-armored character. The NPC summons are more often than not useless as well unfortunately. They only serve to be a enemy distraction for a short period of time or to help clear out some of the weaker enemies while you endlessly grind in hopes of finding something that will actually make a difference. For any of the more dangerous enemies, its over quickly. Again, even if they are overleveled. Finding actual players to summon becomes difficult in later levels as it seems not many people have been able to make progress to those levels.

You can block basically everything without consequences except for grapples which takes away from the combat but its required since enemy tracking is often excessive which makes dashing/dodging a game of rng at best. Every encounter with yokai becomes a battle of attrition and drags each mission into excessive lengths of time for how small the maps actually are.

Apart from the imbalance, combat/controls are fast and responsive. Customization is fairly in depth and the soundtrack is pleasant to listen to. The story isn't great but it isn't terrible either, though the voice acting choices for some characters are a bit distracting. The new systems, such as the yokai shiftling forms are a great addition to the formula but felt like they could have taken them a little further. Only a couple new weapon types but they add some new flare to the game. Technically, it is a well made and polished game. No bugs, frame rate drops, or crashes have been encountered thus far.

Overall, a decent game but the difficulty spike will probably keep it from being a fully enjoyable experience for many new and old players.
  6. Mar 15, 2020
    Yeah, i can't do this anymore. I loved Nioh, love souls games and beaten the nine, I've played except for Dark Souls 2. This is another Dark souls 2, they took the difficulty to far it looses the fun factor but not only that, it's often cheap. The systems are a bit over involved and the story is weak but there is a good game under here somewhere, it'll just take the insanely dedicated toYeah, i can't do this anymore. I loved Nioh, love souls games and beaten the nine, I've played except for Dark Souls 2. This is another Dark souls 2, they took the difficulty to far it looses the fun factor but not only that, it's often cheap. The systems are a bit over involved and the story is weak but there is a good game under here somewhere, it'll just take the insanely dedicated to find the full breath of it. 12 hours gameplay and i can't find fun past the difficulty but I can respect how well the game is made and how great everything feels. I just can't be bothered inching my way through it. It's hard to score the game as i've not finished it so take it for what it is worth. Expand
  7. Mar 18, 2020
    Its basically Nioh 1 with some new bosses... the game is flawless and without bugs simply cuz its the same game. People saying its groundbreaking and stuff like that are just frontin. Menu, gameplay, graphics, AI, level design, items, ⅔ of the yokai are the same as the first game. Its one giant DLC. Still had fun but cmon... thats why they made it that fast ...
  8. Mar 19, 2020
    The game is visually great and the gameplay feels even smoother than in Nioh 1.

However, a lot of the bosses feel really cheap. They have respawning minions that attack you, which is super annoying. Especially, since the bosses are super easy without the minions. Furthermore, the introduction of the dark world does also not resonate well with the games chore mechanics. In this
    The game is visually great and the gameplay feels even smoother than in Nioh 1.

Furthermore, the introduction of the dark world does also not resonate well with the games chore mechanics. In this condition of the world your stamina (Ki in Nioh) regenerates much slower. However, you also lose ki, when you are getting hit. So in the dark realm you can get in really big problems regarding your ki. Not too mention that there is a boss that spawns a minion in his dark world phase that shoots projectiles that drain your ki.

Overall the game is not bad, but far away from the FromSoft games. Also the whole design feels sometimes very much like DS2, where hoards of high damaging enemies are thrown at you, just for sake of artificial difficulty. What makes it worse are the grab attacks from Yokai that often one-shot you from full or nearly full health. Sometimes Yokai also use these grabs in their attack combo. That makes the game unnecessarily frustrating. Additionally, the grinding for gear is as annoying as in Nioh 1.

I am now at the final boss and there the games flaws come even more apparent. The final boss has an attack that can easily one shot, if you don't burst counter it. Something like that is just frustrating and not a good boss design. Besides, in the final chapter are no Kodama (the little creatures that you need to find to get more elixier at the shrine). So after too many tries, you are stuck with just 3 elixiers or you need to farm them.

Developers please adjust that nonsense.
  9. Mar 14, 2020
    Nothing has really changes from the first chapter. This should have been a dlc
  10. Mar 15, 2020
    Graphics: The amount of Fog,blur,film filter and draw distance is just awful for a sequel of nioh 1 that came in february of 2017.

Gameplay: almost identical to nioh 1, no improvements. The only good thing worth mentioning is skill tree. Not like nioh 1 with some random scroll picture on every skill. I will give it 5* only for the respect of nioh1, they should just release another DLC

Gameplay: almost identical to nioh 1, no improvements.

I will give it 5* only for the respect of nioh1, they should just release another DLC instead of a new game.
  11. Mar 13, 2020
    Its pretty much the same as Nioh 1, with few changes here and there. Nioh 1 was disappointing for me, this is the same, so i give it one less point for lack of originality and the same flaws as before, not addressed at all.
  12. Mar 13, 2020
    i was very excited for nioh 2, since im a huge souls like fans and not just the souls fan, so i was waiting anxiously for this one. and oh boy was i in for a disappointment. The game is decent but some of my problems is the new yokai world. It is a terrible way to improve the difficulty. You are forced to play defensive with this feature and thats especially annoying in boss battles.i was very excited for nioh 2, since im a huge souls like fans and not just the souls fan, so i was waiting anxiously for this one. and oh boy was i in for a disappointment. The game is decent but some of my problems is the new yokai world. It is a terrible way to improve the difficulty. You are forced to play defensive with this feature and thats especially annoying in boss battles.

And the problems Judas said aren't fixed either. Skills must be better balanced. The original hioh game had a better skill tree, nioh 2 is an improvment from the previous game but the skill tree in nioh 1 is so much better than nioh 2.Sure it looks cool but to me it makes discovering new skills a fair amount more difficult. There’s something to be said for simplicity when there’s that much information to take in and constantly review. I do like the changes to the way they’re handling / breaking down skills and points but the way it’s displayed is tough to get used to. Some of the new prerequisites make absolutely no sense in my opinion also add to that the fact that Can't we just go back to being a human breaking yokai horns and finishing them off that way instead of having to use a tokai form to counter. Some problems that Nioh 1 had persist in Nioh 2, namely how obviously useless a lot of skills are, and no doubt the game will devolve into spamming 1 move over and over later on.

I also dislike how endurance and HP stats are (still) tied to weapons. Always makes me feel like a point in those stats is semi wasted because I'm not taking full advantage of its benefits if I'm not using the appropriate weapons.
    Maybe i expected too much. But ill say this , the game is a huge improvement from the first game but it could have been so much better and some obvious problems with the first game could have been solved or atleast improved.
  13. Mar 22, 2020
    This game is Nioh 1 all over again with a character creation menu. Big whoop. The gameplay is exactly the same with the exception of the yokai power, and the graphics are frankly terrible. Antialiasing, pop in, bad lighting, and at best 720p at 45-60 fps. All they did was put the storyline back 300 years and instead of William you're some new random dude -- there's no story to it at all. IThis game is Nioh 1 all over again with a character creation menu. Big whoop. The gameplay is exactly the same with the exception of the yokai power, and the graphics are frankly terrible. Antialiasing, pop in, bad lighting, and at best 720p at 45-60 fps. All they did was put the storyline back 300 years and instead of William you're some new random dude -- there's no story to it at all. I had to turn it off after the first 20 minutes because it looked so bad. Expand
  14. Mar 29, 2020
    Man I want to love this game. But there are problems. The customization is wonderful, forging a character to fit your style of play is always rewarding. But many of the failure of the first game are here and worse. The combat has gotten, and I don’t know how this is possible, loose. For a game that plays on split second timing and near pinpoint
  15. Mar 24, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. cups do nothing in this game to help you pass bosses so you can get further in story. - Another game broken by **** instant kill moves from third snake boss (the second boss hand an instant kill move too). - I understand its patterns and attacks and wasted 9 cups on people who do nothing to help and are actually more of hinderence then help but the snake often clips you regardless with charge, tail whip or instant kill. Bad game for people with disabilities. Most likely forced to grind to a stupidly high level for no purpose now to beat the boss. Its a shame after 20 or more tries they don't put up tips or reduce the damage slightly of these bosses and adjust to a level where its stlll challanging but not impossible. I like games like this but really wish bosses where fairer. The snake has the following attacks (Tail sweep always clips you for damage unless dodged but its not telgraphed well when close.) , hand snake forward 3 times, hands forward together and pull in , posion circle breath attack , hand snake detachment in yonkai Snake charge forwards (can't be burst countered) snake circle around you and do instant kill attack by grabbing and stabbing.) , snake hands going into ground and hitting you from below, Snake hands going into ground while your stand in front of boss and instantly rising, snake body slam, snake mid range circle tail whip a slightly different tail whip from the longer range one. I wish status effects where easier to apply and that you could take arrows etc as a ninjitsu or something so you always got some. I wish games like this would have a level to gauge your skill at these sought of games then adjust to a fair level based on how much damage you do before getting killed by a boss. Honestly you sometimes press defense and dodge at the right time but the game itself seems to say you didn't press it in time when you did. Nioh 2 feels like its going backwards not forwards also the adorable komada voices don't sing when you are nearby now to let you know its there. I still like this more than seriko however as least here you get free bombs or items to use and you can grind up to get a little better. I really do wish weak points where weak points and actually did something rather than remove the artificial armor in games like this. Expand
  16. Mar 29, 2020
    One of the better Souls clones out there. The fighting mechanics can match anything From Software games came up with so far. Customization and the amount of content also are strengths. But pretty much every other aspect of the game severely lacks behind, so it's a good game overall, just nothing special.
  17. Mar 27, 2020
    Sorry Nioh 2, I wanted to like you. But you are frustrating, tedious and grindy. The showering of loot becomes a irritant as you constantly have to tidy up after yourself and upgrades feel meaningless. This is game is a chore, and without any meaningful narrative hook, whats the point?
  18. Mar 29, 2020
    There are many problems with this game that were not perfected prior to launch. The addition of the new burst counter, as well as Yōkai shifts in general, ultimately is unwelcome. The original game didn’t need them, and their inclusion simply makes the combat feel less precise and more spammable. Disappointed.
  19. Apr 5, 2020
    Nioh 2 has only one significant and another slight improvement over the previous one - they tried to make better maps this time and the level up system is much better; the disadvantages are - 1. extremely boring and contrived bosses you don't even feel like defeating, 2 - basically it feels like the same old Nioh visually, 3 - very generic music I muted right after the first boss.
    The
    The so-called souls games never boasted a traditional storytelling, but Nioh 2 is boring even by Nioh standards.
    Just another cash grab and disappointment. Looking forward to Ghost of Tsushima.
  20. Apr 6, 2020
    They upgraded the movies and character design. Some horrible lag. Bosses have way to much health sometimes so you have to grind. A bit better then nioh not much
  21. Mar 27, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Das spiel hat mich überzeugt und ich liebe es, gute kämpfe, gute story und es macht spass, yokais zu töten,und auch das neue yokai gimmick ist wirklich gut gemacht ebenso das man einen eigenen charakter erstellen kann ist top! Natürlich hats noch verbesserungspotenzial, z.b das der eigene schutzgeist wie bei anderen charakteren in cutscenes zu sehen ist oder auch das eigene schwert und kein voreingestelltes. Was mich auch nervt, ist das neue fähigkeitskostensystem, die fähigkeiten wie schutzgeisttalisman kosten einfach masslos zu viel, 9 kapazitätspunkte für 3 talismane oder die fähigkeit magie schneller zu wirken, weil teils schnelle bosse dir nicht die zeit geben um magie zu wirken, da ist das schnell wirken essentiel für mich, im 1 teil ging das auch noch, aber jetzt wurde es als geheime technick eingestuft und somit erst gegen ende lernbar, dann brauchst du es praktisch auch nicht mehr, im ersten teil gings ja auch, warum ändern, dasselbe für die oberfläche der skillbäume, warum ändern, es war doch gut so, auch die preise der schmiedin für ein upgrade der waffe, übertrieben hoch. Das wars so in etwa, aber trotzdem ein gutes soulslike spiel Aber ansonsten ein guter nachfolger. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 76 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 30, 2020
    Nioh 2 takes the formula laid out by other soulslike games and manages to improve it at almost every turn. The game is both uniquely challenging and while still having the same addicting quality of other games in the genre. The addition of mechanics like the Yokai Shift manage to set Nioh 2 apart from the pack and add a layer of combat not seen in similar titles. Veterans and newcomers to the soulslike genre alike will get be able to squeeze dozens of hours out of Nioh 2.
  2. Mar 30, 2020
    With most games I have enjoyed, I have had no problem taking breaks and doing other activities, but all I ever wanted to do since picking up Nioh 2 was play Nioh 2. For a game with this much customization and depth to have all of its parts work so seamlessly together is a feat worthy of the highest praise. The only thing holding Nioh 2 back is the mediocre soundtrack and thin veneer of a story. I cannot wait to get lost in the DLC to come. Kudos to you, Team Ninja, for building intelligently on what you created in the first Nioh.
  3. Mar 27, 2020
    Nioh 2 offers best in class combat but suffers from an overwhelming number of upgrade systems and a story that is utterly incoherent.