7.4

1. Sep 17, 2017
    Wasn't to sure about this going in to be honest, after playing witcher, dragon age, Skyrim etc, but wow it had me hooked almost instantly! Loved it, very tactical, can also be very punishing but not make you rage quit punishing, story's great, voice acting great, locations very cool, I even love the art style, genuinely can't fault it, if graphics are all that matters ( which is to me aWasn't to sure about this going in to be honest, after playing witcher, dragon age, Skyrim etc, but wow it had me hooked almost instantly! Loved it, very tactical, can also be very punishing but not make you rage quit punishing, story's great, voice acting great, locations very cool, I even love the art style, genuinely can't fault it, if graphics are all that matters ( which is to me a big issue nowadays, people let it go, if it's a good game it's a good game simple as that, get over it fickle children) then maybe pass, I think it looks and plays great. Do yourself a favour, if you like rpgs give it a try, you won't regret it! Expand
  2. Sep 11, 2017
    This is a wonderful old-school isometric RPG. Love it!
    I can imagine it's not for everyone, but if you like old-school RPG (Diablo, Baldurs Gate, Divinity etc.) this is a must have.
  3. Sep 22, 2017
    This is a game in Old-school ISO-metric gfx (similar to: Baldurs Gate, Diablo, Icewind Dale, Fallout 1-2 etc) is an outstanding RPG very complex and deep, that has a great story to be told, with interesting characters. It has good voice-acting, but those moments are rare, since this game is a very text-heavy tale, so if you despise reading your stories this RPG might not be for you.

Was

Was a bit sceptic at first, since on PC there is so much mouse-clicking, and menus that it simply seems so much better suited for a PC, but it makes me happy to say: this port from PC to console is surprisingly good. Though, not sure if they patched it, but the loading times is horrible, sure not at first, but the longer in you progress, the longer the loading times.

Despite this, this is a game I'd warmly recommend to any person who is fond of a text-heavy ISO-metric RPG.
  4. Apr 24, 2018
    This is a very hard game to review. On one hand it was intended to be a retro style game...and on the other hand it's current generation....so what to pick on? Almost everything I want to say bad can be argued good and vice versa. In the end I guess I'm gonna say this is a game that offers a lot of user options and customization but is a bit on the boring side considering what options haveThis is a very hard game to review. On one hand it was intended to be a retro style game...and on the other hand it's current generation....so what to pick on? Almost everything I want to say bad can be argued good and vice versa. In the end I guess I'm gonna say this is a game that offers a lot of user options and customization but is a bit on the boring side considering what options have been provided. Gameplay can be tragically slow...pause, command. Instant pause, target unpause..game pause...re-enable..pause-attack....rinse-repeat..you get the picture. Maybe too much pausing wasn't meant to be cuz honestly it really numbs all the immersion the game could of made u feel. That said full player control is appreciated. This truly is my dilemma with this game. I'm not sure without fully random loot drops I'm willing to play this game over and over without micromanaging every battle swing. In essence my ability to pause the game at any given moment allows me to "attrition" the game at the cost of me enjoying the real time fantasy version that would surely be an unplayable difficulty but beyond awesome fantasy. Somehow xcom enemy within succeeded with this concept whereas this game didn't. That's not to say I don't really enjoy this game, I actually really do but it feels somehow broken by not allowing the brilliant lore to critically percolate through me....it's just a graze. Expand
  5. May 5, 2018
    Amazing game, should be played by anyone who likes these kinds of games. Deep story, deep combat, cool characters. Definitely reccommend buying it
  6. Feb 14, 2018
    I just started playing this game a couple of days ago and have put in 8-10 hours already and it is quite challenging. After reading reviews of this game, I have to be honest I am every bit satisified so far. The are a lot of combinations of races, social economics, and character classes to weave your character into. I have to be honest, I didn't know if the PS4 would get some of the reallyI just started playing this game a couple of days ago and have put in 8-10 hours already and it is quite challenging. After reading reviews of this game, I have to be honest I am every bit satisified so far. The are a lot of combinations of races, social economics, and character classes to weave your character into. I have to be honest, I didn't know if the PS4 would get some of the really good cprg's for the system, but they seem to be getting them. It's a throwback to PS2 in my opinion. This game has ported over nicely from the computer. The game is challenging not to the point you are so frustrated that the game collects dust. Having a stronghold and building it up is awesome, it reminds me of the Suikoden series. Side quests are varied which is nice. Expand
  7. Feb 26, 2018
    Here lies a wonderful hark to RPG's from yesteryear which mimics the playstyle of games such as Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Champions of North etc. which is sadly marred by a few bugs.
    If you have played the games mentioned previously then you will know what to expect: an isometric, party based RPG with a combat and magic system which is deep and rewarding and an element of loot grinding. Much of the system is heavily borrowed from Dungeons & Dragons with spells and abilities renamed so as not to encroach on any copyrights. If you know that system of RPG then the learning curve is significantly easier than if you don't.
    The story is Pillar's best asset and your actions within that affect things which come to pass later which is not to put down any other gameplay element. It's weakest asset? Bugs. I experienced myriad crashes, mainly when loading an area, which caused the game to crash to the dashboard and even once had a corrupted save file due to a crash that occurred during saving the game.
    If you can get past the game issues and don't mind reloading the game (a bit too often to be honest) then 100+ hours of RPG heaven is right here. I would have rated this at around 92/100 if it wasn't for those bugs.
  8. Apr 18, 2020
    It's been a long time since I've played a game like Pillars of Eternity. A deep role playing game with great tactical control, and amazing magic and combat leveling. One of the biggest selling points for me is always the story, and this game does not disappoint. The idea of children being born without souls, and the impact it would have on society is well explored here. The characters areIt's been a long time since I've played a game like Pillars of Eternity. A deep role playing game with great tactical control, and amazing magic and combat leveling. One of the biggest selling points for me is always the story, and this game does not disappoint. The idea of children being born without souls, and the impact it would have on society is well explored here. The characters are fleshed out well and the story threads all weave in nicely to form an overall great experience. Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2019
    An old school top down RPG, giving everything you could ever want in a RPG, even things you didn't think you wanted.
  10. Mar 2, 2019
    Este juego es la mar de dibertido me gusto descubrir un mundo nuevo, experiencia que no tenia desde e DA origins. Un sistema de combate Clasico y de alguna forma actual que no se siente que me mima ni me retiene, es como si dijera aqui estan tus armas tus conjuros usalos como mejor quieras. Historia completamente genial y ORIGINAL, yo no soy un erudito pero hasta el momento es una de lasEste juego es la mar de dibertido me gusto descubrir un mundo nuevo, experiencia que no tenia desde e DA origins. Un sistema de combate Clasico y de alguna forma actual que no se siente que me mima ni me retiene, es como si dijera aqui estan tus armas tus conjuros usalos como mejor quieras. Historia completamente genial y ORIGINAL, yo no soy un erudito pero hasta el momento es una de las pocas historias originales y bien ejecutadas de el genero Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 25 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 23, 2017
    Not for everyone but if you can see past its issues, herein lies a phenomenal old school RPG.
  2. Oct 16, 2017
    Although the porting issues affect the experience enough to bog it down a bit, they're not so extreme as to ruin it. PoE is that rare game where each of its components, from the story and writing to the audiovisual aesthetics, are individually exceptional yet manage to combine into something greater still. It presents a level of immersion that leaves a lasting impression, and you owe it to yourself to experience it firsthand.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Oct 15, 2017
    A love letter to old-fashioned RPGs, but like all passionate romances you'll need to take the rough with the smooth. [Nov 2017, p.92]