5.9

1. Feb 6, 2020
    Game is unplayable in PS4. Need a patch ASAP. Loading times of 2 minutes in some areas. Its a shame cause its a very great game. I will wait for a patch and i will give it another try.
  2. Feb 3, 2020
    The game is heavily bugged and crashes all the time. Once again Versus Evil has rushed out a port with limited testing and again the professional reviewers haven't played long enough for the bugs to be noticeable. It's good when it works but honestly you should wait for the patch which if PoE 1 is any indication will take 4 months.
  3. Feb 7, 2020
    Started exploring the first town. Found the tavern, went into the tavern (waited for 30s loading screen), went upstairs in the little tavern (30s loading screen), found some stuff, went back down (30s loading screen), and when i tried to go outside the whole came crashed and made me do it all over again. GREAT.
  4. Feb 1, 2020
    This game has a game-breaking bug. When you try to load a save you get kicked back to the main menu and receive a message saying "there was an error loading the next map". Apparently, this bug existed when the game was released for pc in 2018 and wasn't fixed for the PS4 release in 2020. I'm 30 hours into the game and now, none of my saves work. I won't be purchasing any games fromThis game has a game-breaking bug. When you try to load a save you get kicked back to the main menu and receive a message saying "there was an error loading the next map". Apparently, this bug existed when the game was released for pc in 2018 and wasn't fixed for the PS4 release in 2020. I'm 30 hours into the game and now, none of my saves work. I won't be purchasing any games from Obsidian in the future. Expand
  5. Feb 7, 2020
    In its actual state, the game is completely broken on PS4, it crashe frequently (PS4 blue screen) or worst it completely freeze the PS4 (had to remove the power cable, nothing else is possible), there is frequent lag in the inventory or in the game...
    In two words don't buy it until they fix this mess, we (PS4 players) posted messages on Obsidian forum, but nobody answered us, i feel they will never fix it...
    So don't buy it unless you are prepared for hours of frustration.
    I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity (even if it had a lot of bugs) so i waited for Deadfire and got it Day 0, but now i am very frustrated, the game could be so good if only they fixed it, and if they speak to us about their future patch..
    No Don't buy it in the actual state, wait for a patch ...
    If one want to have an idea about the problems we have on the game, feel free to have a look on the forum : https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/113890-deadfire-ps4-bugs-and-known-problems-list-feel-free-to-add-yours/
  6. Feb 12, 2020
    I love this game but it's unplayable on the PS4. Load times are ridiculous and makes it unplayable. Hopefully they can patch it because I really regret spending $60 on this.
  7. Feb 4, 2020
    1. It should be noted that Versus Evil (who are in charge of this port) have been quite responsive to the complaints of numerous individuals who have mentioned issues I bring up in this review, and have done so politely (even when the people mentioning them have not necessarily been). As such, I plan to revisit and revise this review as this game continues to be patched - I personally1. It should be noted that Versus Evil (who are in charge of this port) have been quite responsive to the complaints of numerous individuals who have mentioned issues I bring up in this review, and have done so politely (even when the people mentioning them have not necessarily been). As such, I plan to revisit and revise this review as this game continues to be patched - I personally believe the company deserves that much.

2. It should also be noted that my review is specifically for the console (PS4) version of Deadfire, not the PC/Mac version, as there are several differences in quality between the two versions that I cannot attest to (as I have not played the PC/Mac version).

The simplest way I can summarize my feelings on this version of Deadfire is that in its current state, it is a tragedy. Even as someone who has found similar games (such as Icewind Dale) boring and underwhelming, Deadfire appealed to my desire for deep immersion, customization and a sense that I could inject my own personality into my character. Like its predecessor, I was drawn in by these aspects of the game, and few games can compare to it in this regard. What makes this version of the game a tragedy, however, is the multiple crippling mechanical issues that plague this game's console version.

On my standard-issue PS4, this game's load times are quite lengthy and frequent - this was an issue with the first Pillars of Eternity on console, and continues to be here as well. In comparison to the load screens of other console games, I don't find them overwhelmingly daunting - however, when considering that this game forces you to wait this long every time you either enter or exit a room (a frequent occurrence), this becomes an issue that detracts from the game's quality dramatically. When a bug in a video game alters the way in which it was intended to be played, I believe it is especially egregious. And to be frank, on its own, these load times were not enough to mar my experience with the game - sadly, they were only the tip of the iceberg.

Upon approaching the 40-hour mark in this game, my save file became corrupted (as has been the case with several other individuals, as Versus Evil's Twitter feed indicates). Though I still have a single functional save file, any save file made after this point becomes corrupted, and I am either returned to the main menu or left with a frozen load screen. On top of this, a slightly less crippling (though still ire-inducing) bug sometimes prevents the "Close" button from closing menus - the only way I have been able to resume playing is to reload a previous save. I dread to think about all the other issues I might eventually discover - that is, if I am able to muster the energy to begin a new playthrough after the disheartening experience of any further progression being prevented.

I have been told that the company who ported the console version of the game (Versus Evil, as I understand it) are working hard to rectify the issues I've mentioned, but selling this game at full price seems ridiculous when issues like this could prevent players from continuing to play it past a certain point. It is my sincere hope that they are able to quickly work through the issues that are plaguing Deadfire in order to bring it up to an acceptable standard, as they seem earnest and forthright in their desire to get the game up to snuff (though only time will tell if their actions are in line with their words).

Though I will admit that expressing the issues I've faced with Deadfire openly feels worthwhile and valid, it truly breaks my heart to admit that this game did not live up to my expectations. As a big fan of the first game's console release, I was willing to work with (and expected) long load times. However, game-breaking bugs make it hard for me to recommend the game in its current state. Though it will almost certainly be worked on in order to improve the issues I've mentioned, I cannot recommend it to any beyond the most persistent and hardcore fans of the first game, who might be willing to risk the possibility that their progress might be halted at a certain point in the game. And even among those individuals, I cannot rightly recommend the console version over the computer version, which I have heard performs far better.

If you plan to buy the console version of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire despite all I've shared, I urge you to wait until either the more crippling bugs are ironed out, or the price drops significantly (as the console version of the first game has).
  8. Feb 7, 2020
    Ok, First of all i would like to say Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire is the great rpg game, but this port is just unplayable!
    its always CE-34878-0 crash error. Most often it happens then you are at fight. Im playin in turn based mode. (dont khow how it works in real time option)
    i did reinstall the game, then i reinstall it to external hard drive, and then i made initialization for my ps4 pro deliting all data, but nothing helps! I've got no problems with other games.
    In Obsidian forum guys have the same problems and many more
    So many quests incompliteble becouse of it
    I just dont want to tell about the longest loading screans in my life
    Dont buy this broken piece of crap till it will be patched.
  9. Jan 28, 2020
    This and Divinity Original Sin 2 are the best isometric RPG there are. As a big fan there is only one rating i can give this and that is full 10/10 with high recommendation to any RPG fan out there.

Much better than first one. Fully voice acted, nice graphics and functional gameplay.
  10. Jan 31, 2020
    Loving this game, everything I want from a RPG. Immersive experience, full of great characters and tactical combat.
  11. Feb 10, 2020
    Очень хорошая игра и отвратительный порт на пс4. Если некоторую корявость интерфейса можно простить, все же порт с ПК, бесконечные вылеты и ошибки прощать как-то не хочется. К примеру происходит перманентый вылет при смене интеллекта ИИ в редакторе поведения.
    И все это на фоне чудовищно долгих загрузок, даже между небольшими локациями. Играть в это можно и даже возможно получать удовольствие, игра в отрыве от технических проблем великолепна, но лучше либо ждать патчей, либо играть на ПК. Ну либо ждать хороших скидок, чтоб не было мучительно больно и жалко)))
  12. Feb 15, 2020
    Frequent crashes, fps drops, controls randomly stop working, loading times are over a minute. Cherry on top that everything(caves, houses, even floors in the same building) has a separate loading screen. Cant recommend to anyone in this state.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 16, 2020
    While not being able to romantically replace the sleepless nights with friends, sitting around a table or on the floor and armed with paper, pens,dice, snacks and carbonated drinks harmful to health, Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire is one of the modern videogame experiences more akin a paper role-playing campaign, hands down.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Feb 9, 2020
    Yes, it’s clunky at times, but get past that and you’ll find a deep, beautifully written RPG set in a massive world heaving with treasure, monsters, and moral dilemmas. [Issue#172, p.83]
  3. Feb 7, 2020
    Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is an exceptional RPG, which respects its classic origins, without being afraid to adapt modern mechanisms. With a fresh combat system and a story worthy of the most famous D&D games, it is highly addictive for the fans of the genre, while being a friendly companion to those who prepare to embark on their first quest. If the issue with the way too long and frequent loading times will be fixed, it will be a must-play game.