8.0

1. Dec 25, 2018
    after over a dozen hours I can say the game is painfully overrated. It has a very slow start with a crazy amount of very slow walking and talking. Even once the open world opens up to you... all you do is basic tasks with incredibly long trips. Ride 10 min to punch a guy who owes money once than ride 10 min back to camp. Then do that 3 more times! Ride 10 min to pick somebody up toafter over a dozen hours I can say the game is painfully overrated. It has a very slow start with a crazy amount of very slow walking and talking. Even once the open world opens up to you... all you do is basic tasks with incredibly long trips. Ride 10 min to punch a guy who owes money once than ride 10 min back to camp. Then do that 3 more times! Ride 10 min to pick somebody up to ride 10 min to drop them off then ride back to camp. Ride 10 min to a hunting spot than hunt 1 animal than ride 10 min back to camp. If you hated FF15 and it's car mechanic well it's the same here. Bad boring mission design in a shockingly empty open world. The experience is also hampered by terrible movement mechanics. You walk at a snails pace as if your in Gears of War 1 talking on the radio and you can hold the sprint button to speed up... but you go to full speed automatically and as soon as you let go you are a snail again. Some how there is no jog option so you end up running past things you want or crawling up to them slowly. Shooting feels awful made worse by a awkward implementation of a cover system and the poor movement controls. The game also never seems to remember what weapons I have equipped. It always takes my long arms off my body even though they are hanging on my back not just keeping them on my horse but removing them forcing me to reopen the horse inventory. Maybe the game will improve if the story picks up. But right now it's painfully boring with long drawn out conversations about nothing important with idiots who's names I can't remember. As for the supposed amazing graphics... the best way to describe the game is blurry very blurry.

I have now beaten the game. It will not be a game I remember fondly. There is only 1 mission in the whole game that I will remember and that was when you rolled up to that house to find the kid. I was really feeling that mission... too bad once you get there the shooting it terrible. I have serious problems with how nearly every single mission is designed and how almost all the story is delivered throughout the game. Everything is tedious without an upside after you bother going through it all. Less than half way through the game and I had all the money I would ever need and fully modified guns, horse, and clothes that I would never need to change. After that almost every side quest in the game was a absolute waste of time with a tiny bit of mediocre story that wasn't worth the travel time. I started to avoid everything and do a straight line for the necessary story line missions because I was done with the game but wanted to know the story. I wouldn't say it was bad but as it started to end I was disappointed with so many actions of the main character that I was totally taken out of the experience. In the rest of the game you can do whatever you want and totally create what type of person you are with your interactions with people. But in the main game I'm thinking "**** you shot that person I liked you are dead". I shoot him mission failed. You also have to just shake your head at how stupid the major fight scenes are. You get 10 hours of 100 people shooting at you as you guys barely move or slowly ride away completely exposed and not a single ****ing person can hit anybody or your horses. It's too absurd for my taste... they needed to design fights better but the AI is so simple they have to throw waves and waves of enemies at you to even force you to move your character. Nothing in this world ever reflects anything that happens. You kill 5 times a towns population and then return the next day and everybody is there. You fight a rival gang that apparently has 1000 men and you have 20. Nothing makes sense.
  2. Nov 4, 2018
    I've put about 20 hours into this game so far, but that's as much as it's getting. Red Dead looks amazing and is technically very impressive, but it is just utterly boring. It's bad enough that you have to bathe and shave, but why make it so painfully slow? Getting around the world is tedious, making even the otherwise fun activities like hunting a chore (you can only carry one carcass atI've put about 20 hours into this game so far, but that's as much as it's getting. Red Dead looks amazing and is technically very impressive, but it is just utterly boring. It's bad enough that you have to bathe and shave, but why make it so painfully slow? Getting around the world is tedious, making even the otherwise fun activities like hunting a chore (you can only carry one carcass at a time and have to drop them off at your camp,and you move glacially slowly around the camp). The controls are awkward and combat is weak. How it has 97 from the pro reviewers is a mystery, but it probably involved pots of money. This game is just a waste of your time, money and 100GB of disk space. A real shame because if you removed all the junk and tweaked the controls and combat there's probably a decent game in there. Expand
  3. Nov 12, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here's a brief description of one mission.

Your mission is to rob a train. First step is to steal a wagon with an oil barrel on back, which you are going to put on the railway and light on fire so the train will see it from far away and come to a stop. Then you can rob it.

So you look at your mini map and it tells you where to go to steal the wagon. You ride your horse there. This takes 5 minutes. Real world time. Just riding a horse. Along a road you have gone up and down probably 20 times already doing various errands.

The wagon is in an oil field where the workers shoot on sight. Because sometimes the game is realistic to a fault, and then suddenly it's not. You jump the fence, hop on the wagon, get shot a few times -- doesn't matter, you have at least 50 different healing items that restore full health pretty much at all times -- you repeatedly mash X to gallop away to safety. You ride for another 5 minutes to drop off the wagon where it's supposed to go. That was easy, though it did take me three times because once you get close to the wagon area, if you move away too far the mission fails. So my initial idea was to scope the place out, then take cover on some high ground, pick dudes off, lose them in the woods when they come after me, and then drop back into the oil field after drawing most of them out. But nope. So much for open world freedom.

You ride another 5 minutes back to home base to tell home boy you done your job, and he says "cool man." Then you have to complete another mission before you can continue. So you take a kid that talks like the worlds most generic child fishing, and he say's it's boring, and I wholeheartedly agree. Besides the boring nature of the game mechanic, what does fishing do for you? It gives you more health. I already have more health items than I can carry. It's not worth enough to sell, and I don't need money either. The only things to buy are clothing items, everything else the game gives you anyway...

So you do that stupid mission which, start to finish, will chew up twenty minutes in which you are basically doing nothing. Now, back to the train robbery. So you ride back to where you stashed the wagon -- 5 minutes. Then you watch a cutscene, then you got to ride with the gang to the ambush site. This is another 5 minute jaunt, but this time you got the crew trying their durndest to tell side-splitting funnies, but it's typical game dialogue that feels disjointed and unnatural -- like the voice actors recorded at separate places and times. And the dialogue can be ignored, because it's just banter -- it doesn't build characters or move story, it's just non-sense "tough-guy" talk, because everybody knows all tough-guy train robbers do is talk trash to each other constantly, and especially before pulling off a big heist.

Alright, so now, finally, it's train robbin' time. You're ready to get all sweaty palmed and squinty eyed, because you're here to do what you came to do. You've worked almost an hour doing monotonous crap to get to this point. The big dramatic train robbery! Now's the time when you don't mind that big, drawn out cutscene with the tense chord and the beady eyes twitching and the trees drawing long shadows as the train blares it's horn with it's headlight coming round the corner... hell yeah, you can feeeeel it coming...

But wait.. something isn't right. Remember the oil wagon you were going to set on fire? Well, they just put it on the tracks, and hero character stands on top of it with his rifle. What? That wasn't the plan. And the corner the train is coming around clearly isn't far enough away to give the train time to stop... Why did I steal this wagon again?

The other gangsters hide behind the trees, and then real sudden like a generic action track starts up, you get a real fast sweeping shot of the gang in the trees, then the train comes and see's the wagon all of a sudden and just stops. No squeeling brakes, no smoke plumes, no dramatics -- nothing. Then there is a bunch of yelling, and even though you are in charge of this heist somebody is hollering "hey arthur, come do this! Come do that!" So you try to hurry over, but the game has locked running for right now, so you have to walk slowly over to the guys shouting to hurry.

You follow behind your bro who is holding a goodie bag and demanding people to point money inside. Every third person says "no" and you press B when it tells you to punch them in the face. You can't do that or anything else until you are prompted to do so. So you do that for about a minute then the game tells you to go help somebody else. This time bad guys jump into the scene, you hold the trigger which auto-aims onto anybody on the screen, and you pull the other trigger to shoot them. You do that for ten minutes, then you go on another 10 minute horse ride. Mission over. What do you get for all of that? Money that you don't need.

I cannot recall a more poorly designed AAA game than this.
  4. Oct 29, 2018
    Where to start. RDR2 has some amazing things in it, but it is not a good game beacouse of it. While some things are amazing, others are among the worst i've seen ever in any game, genre or system.

The good: The world is amazing, I spent several hours just riding around, hunting, chatting with strangers and helping out people i met on the road. The story's good, not great, but

The good:
    The story's good, not great, but serviceable, as are the characters.
    Voice acting is impressive, but the random conversations you can strike up with anyone still sound weird, very much like how oblivions conversations between NPCs would sound.

The Bad: Controls are a mess, always have been in Rockstars games, appart from, for some reason, RDR1.
    It's buggy, Several times i've been unable to continue on in a mission, being forced to throw a dynamite at my feet to reset it.
    QTEs somehow made its way into the game, and it's worse than ever before, being that you don't even get told what button to press, nor does it make sense for the action you do with it. My most remembered case was a woman charging me with a knife while i was trying to lasso her. Instant kill. I reload and do it again, this time pressing block when she attacks. Instant kill. Last time, i got pissed off and tried to punch her in her face, and my character sidestepped her, tripping and disarming her. Bad design.

The UGLY:
    The bounty system is the worst i've ever seen in a game. The idea is cool, and when it works, it's amazing. You do a crime, someone sees you and they report you to the law, you can stop them by either threatening or killing them. Sounds good, right? Problem is, say you kill a guy on a road, you leave and someone stumbles onto the corpse. he then tells the law that he found a body and you INSTANTLY get a bounty on you. Despite being long gone when anyone showed up, despite never been seen there. Another example, you try to rob a train, you go there, start taking out the guards, having stopped the train in the middle of noware. Suddenly, there's lawmen there, having had the "Crime reported" as the games calls it. You get a bounty, roughly 200-300 dollars, for earning maybe 80. Here comes the worst part though. The only way to get ridd of a bounty is for you to pay it off. So, you rob a train, you get 200 dollars bounty and 80 dollars of loot, that's a loss of 120 dollars. It doesn't make sense. Even worse, is that if you have a bounty, you get lawmen or bounty hunters looking for you. If they kill you, they take some of your money (seems to be around 10%), you wake up.... and you still have the bounty. Say that you kill the lawmen or hunters? Well, your bounty goes up for each you kill, even if you kill every single one, so no one can report it back to them. As i said, the bounty system is the worst ever made. Fix that, and i'll raise my score to close to an 8
  5. Dec 2, 2018
    One of the worst games I played lately. I'll start by saying that I didn't finish the game. I really wanted to like it, but I lost my patience after around 20 hours of forcing myself...

I heard a lot of comments against criticism of that game, basically saying, that if you don't like the game, it's because you are cod or fortnite fan, a child who needs constant action and simplified gameplay.
    I'm 30, been playing games since I was 5, growing up with nes and amiga 500. I enjoy slow paced games like dark souls, or strategy games like x-com where game's basically not moving forward unless you make a move, but red dead redemption 2 is simply casual to the point it's offensive.

When you make a truly big game like this, when you put huge money into development, you have to target it to the masses to make your investment pay off. The way it's done with RDR2, is no different than hollywood block busters - you make a product that is visually impressive, but in the most mediocre taste possible. Must be pretty, must be easy, must be for the masses. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but true.

Boring, slow story, awful quests. Sure - world is huge, and you often have freedom as for order in which you want to do some quests. But once you start doing them, they are very linear. Example. you'll ride 10 minutes to a place of a quest. You'll watch 2 minute cut scene. You will have to destroy some door/window than. the device to help you with that, will be standing literally next to the door. The game is open, but it tells you what to do constantly. You have freedom about where to go, but no freedom of how to deal with things. A lot of quests will force you to do boring mini games. Example - lift up the wheel holding 'up'. Now roll the wheel holding left. Now push the wheel holding 'right'. Now hit the wheel few times to attach it by pressing x.

Gameplay. Worst part of the game. Super casual, slow and unresponsive. No skill required. No point hiding behind covers - your enemies will die of age before your character will roll his ass behind cover. Aim assistance is so strong by default, that when aiming from behind a cover, game often was pointing at the enemy I was not even aware of. Just automatically aiming at the enemy without any assistance from me. Shooting feels bad, like in all rockstar games. Even worse than shooting, is the movement. Moving your character feels like rolling a stone up the hill. When you're running and you stop all of sudden, it takes your character around second to actually stop moving. Defenders of the game will justify it with realism but that's no argument. In reality if shot at, I would run to the cover and drop on the ground in a blink of an eye, In that game it takes forever. in reality you wouldn't be able to take few gun shots on the chest, and than just eat canned peach and be like new. You can't justify clunky mechanics with realism. The game doesn't even allow you to run in a lot of places, for sake of 'realism', but it's super unrealistic in other places.

Generally, this game is divided into riding a horse, talking and talking, cut scenes, poorly executed shooting, and mini-games. If you like playing with toys, you'll most likely enjoy that game. You can brew coffee, wash every limb of your body separately, pat your horse, feed your horse, brush your horse. You can dress up, and dress up your horse. Trim your facial hair. Basically sims. You can play the house. You can play tamagochi instead - similar experience.

I remember reviews praising 'alive' world and side quests. I've done 4 side quests. 2 of them, were like this - one a way from one location to another, I rode for like 5 minutes, met a women who's horse died. I helped her to lift the horse (little game called 'lifting a horse' that is about pressing x button), and than rode her back to the town I was just coming from. I don't know what kind of people find this fun, I don't. Other side quest was about chasing some animal, that stole some bag from some dude (I'll spare you details to avoid spoilers). Side quests and alive world is nothing but filler.

Advantages
    - Graphics. It's a fine game to watch, but no good game to play at all.
  6. Nov 1, 2018
    "A Masterpiece, a 10/10, a Perfect game"I need to get a hold of the drugs the reviewers/gamers must be consuming to give this average game that lacks any innovation a 10. Gunplay = Horrid for a game that has a core element based around gunplay. Menu system = Twister with my fingers, did they even bother to test this out before releasing it?. Realism = Lacks in areas it should be, but"A Masterpiece, a 10/10, a Perfect game"I need to get a hold of the drugs the reviewers/gamers must be consuming to give this average game that lacks any innovation a 10. Gunplay = Horrid for a game that has a core element based around gunplay. Menu system = Twister with my fingers, did they even bother to test this out before releasing it?. Realism = Lacks in areas it should be, but put into other areas that don't add anything to the immersion. Story = Average, it is just about non-existent. Graphics = Good but not the best on console by a long way. Music = Very average, not one track is memorable. Better than RDR1 = Nope. The fact that this game is so far from being a 10, really empathizes the corruption within this industry, and the mindless morons that will defend a developer because they made a game a few years ago that they really liked. I am really astonished at the number of people that are lying through their teeth about this game. Expand
  7. Nov 9, 2018
    Rockstar should stop pretending to be a game developer and just transfer themselves into the movie industry instead. The way missions are designed in RDR2 it isn't really a game at all but rather a somewhat interactive movie, with great emphasis on "somewhat". The player is treated like a mindless participant ushered along a prechosen path to the next cutscene, and not the main focus atRockstar should stop pretending to be a game developer and just transfer themselves into the movie industry instead. The way missions are designed in RDR2 it isn't really a game at all but rather a somewhat interactive movie, with great emphasis on "somewhat". The player is treated like a mindless participant ushered along a prechosen path to the next cutscene, and not the main focus at all. Most decisions are made for you whether you welcome them or not and the outcome of your predetermined actions is already decided beforehand. I would have paid a ticket to see this movie, but it was not worth the money buying this "game".

Also: Plus for great graphics a world well-drafted and rich on content plus the general atmosphere, the stories and the characters, but minus for pretty much everything in regards to gameplay.

Stop this nonsense and go make a movie already. It's obvious it's where you want to be ;)
  8. Nov 5, 2018
    I created an account just to post this.

I created an account just to post this.

I bought RDR2 Friday and played maybe 15 - 20 hours over Saturday and Sunday. Toward the middle of the day on Sunday the "new game"ness effect wore off, and it finally became apparent to me that this game just isn't very much fun. It's repetitive and tedious, and frankly kind of sucks despite the gorgeous landscapes and visuals. Don't believe the critics reviews. The negative and mixed user scores reviews are all spot on.

As many have mentioned, the controls are inconsistent and confusing. The main character's movement speed is sluggish. Simple actions like tying up your horse horse are annoying to perform. There are animation sequences you can't skip for many basic actions like skinning animals, which get old really quick. The intro is long and boring and doesn't do a great job of introducing you to core game mechanics. There's little replay value because it's so boring sitting through the intro all over again. Every mission is the same: spend 10 minutes riding your horse, do your task for 5 minutes, spend 10 minutes riding back. Want to hunt? Ride your horse for 10 minutes, hunt for 5 minutes, ride your horse 10 minutes back. I kept expecting more mechanics to open up that would make the game more enjoyable. It never got better. The game is just tedious and dull. It's not fun to do mundane tasks over and over. It's not fun to spend 10 minutes riding your horse to get somewhere, do a task for 5 minutes, and ride your horse back 10 minutes tapping X over and over again.

It's just not a fun game. Don't waste your money.
  9. sud
    Nov 8, 2018
    Gets Very Very Very Boring Riding a Horse.the Game mode is Fine,but. once that has been completed,the game gets Dull,unless you like a Horse riding sim. it seems ROCKSTAR is Herding up Some Cash Cows.you put the game on play it for twenty minutes,then turn it of. Cue the MICRO transactions.Gets Very Very Very Boring Riding a Horse.the Game mode is Fine,but. once that has been completed,the game gets Dull,unless you like a Horse riding sim. it seems ROCKSTAR is Herding up Some Cash Cows.you put the game on play it for twenty minutes,then turn it of. Cue the MICRO transactions. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Expand
  10. Nov 1, 2018
    it's boring as hell,too overhyped,it's not bad in terms of graphics,i played it for a week and nothing stands out,it took God of War 5 minutes to make me remember that first fight fight forever,played the first game and loved it,this is just ok game nothing more and nothing less,and i hate to watch skinning of animals,why cant i switch off that animation?my weapons and skins areit's boring as hell,too overhyped,it's not bad in terms of graphics,i played it for a week and nothing stands out,it took God of War 5 minutes to make me remember that first fight fight forever,played the first game and loved it,this is just ok game nothing more and nothing less,and i hate to watch skinning of animals,why cant i switch off that animation?my weapons and skins are disapearing all the time. Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2018
    The controls in this game may be the worst I've ever experienced in a "AAA" game - Arthur moves like he's stuck in quicksand and the menus are convoluted and fidgety.

Literally half the game is riding from point A to B on your horse, and the side activities feel pointless - you can completely ignore bathing, hunting, weather. Completely superfluous. How can people give this game

How can people give this game perfect scores when there is so much to tear apart? The "critics" are useless.
  12. Oct 31, 2018
    A technical masterpiece, an absolute work of art... but just not a good game. No matter how beautiful the world is, it doesn't matter if playing in it is no fun. The gameplay is antiquated, the characters are dull and there are some pretty stupid gameplay design choices that frankly make me wonder if anyone actually playtested this mess. I'm not talking about bugs, there are hardly any,A technical masterpiece, an absolute work of art... but just not a good game. No matter how beautiful the world is, it doesn't matter if playing in it is no fun. The gameplay is antiquated, the characters are dull and there are some pretty stupid gameplay design choices that frankly make me wonder if anyone actually playtested this mess. I'm not talking about bugs, there are hardly any, but about the way the game just keeps trying to make playing it a chore. I'm not sure what to think about the 10/10 reviews by professional critics. Maybe they expected us to love the game and were afraid to be the one reviewer who points out all the flaws of this game. But one look at the User Score here clearly shows that this Emperor has no clothes, and there are a lot of kids here pointing this out. Expand
  13. Nov 10, 2018
    This is one of those big beautifully boring games that has 1 source of accomplishment, Realism, and it's not fun. the first 5 minutes of the game is watching a cut-scene and riding through a blizzard. The rest of the story is alright. The game is absolutely gorgeous to look at, scenery is drop dead amazing. The gun-play is meh, we are still stuck with console controllers. maybe when the pcThis is one of those big beautifully boring games that has 1 source of accomplishment, Realism, and it's not fun. the first 5 minutes of the game is watching a cut-scene and riding through a blizzard. The rest of the story is alright. The game is absolutely gorgeous to look at, scenery is drop dead amazing. The gun-play is meh, we are still stuck with console controllers. maybe when the pc release arrives ill change my mind. i think thats it, when AAA developers stop getting creative the modders will flip the game to make it more enjoyable. when gta 5 released on pc 2 years after the 360/ps3, people were enjoying it from all the exciting stuff people added. Now my copy is about to collect dust. Expand
  14. Nov 1, 2018
    its an ok game the 10s are paid reviews this game is not a 10 there is not much to do in this game but ride on a horse and shoot people i dont like having to bath eat and sleep in this game they should let people turn them off i also dont like having to look after my horse by feeding it brushing it and patting it that also should be able to turn off gun play is gum but is to easy i hadits an ok game the 10s are paid reviews this game is not a 10 there is not much to do in this game but ride on a horse and shoot people i dont like having to bath eat and sleep in this game they should let people turn them off i also dont like having to look after my horse by feeding it brushing it and patting it that also should be able to turn off gun play is gum but is to easy i had issues when the screen went pops out its more walking in missions and by Chapter 3 you have to much money its impossible to die they need to update the game to let people turn off the Horse care and Caring for Aruther off then i will give it a 6 out of 10 until then im keeping this score Expand
  15. Nov 1, 2018
    I was excited when I picked this game up brand new for only (AUD)$64.. my excitement was short lived however as after dozens of hours invested, I feel.. disheartened by the whole experience.

The story line and characters are easily forgettable and carry no emotional weigh whatsoever.. I honest don't care about any of the character in game, not a single one. The constant glitches and

The constant glitches and bugs are at best laughable from a game that seems to take pride in realism.

Although of all theses problems by far the worst critic on the game itself is definitely the button mapping which clearly was designed only to frustrate players.. it's really a shame that this is the best they could come up with..

The graphics and environment in game is sub-par to be honest especially when games like Horizon Zero Dawn look just as good despite being launch almost 10 months earlier.

I'm simply don't understand the high 90's scores this game is a serious let down.. I find it a chore now just to do simple main story quests in the game.

All that being said it's a sold 4/10 for my $0.02
  16. Nov 7, 2018
    Pros: Very good visuals. You can sell the game if you have disk version.
    Cons: Extremely boring gameplay. Only reason I played through (yes I did) was the story which I wanted to know. After that there is no reason to replay. So in the end (after selling it) it cost me 10€ for the playthrough what is kinda ok.
  17. Nov 7, 2018
    OMG this game is not as good as RDR1, is overhyped and overrated, famboyism and marketing is real.
    Gameplay is slow and can't enjoy it that much.
    Controls are bad, a game can't have 97 rating with theses issues are you kidding me and thats not all but I have no time for this joke, not bad as some claim but not awesome either.
  18. Oct 30, 2018
    For a game based around a gunslinger, it seems odd that the gun play mechanics are just awful. it is most likely that the developers have never shot a gun in their life, because what has been created here, is a joke. Combined with the equally awful control system structure, it hurts this game big time. It's time for consoles to look at developing a better method to control characters,For a game based around a gunslinger, it seems odd that the gun play mechanics are just awful. it is most likely that the developers have never shot a gun in their life, because what has been created here, is a joke. Combined with the equally awful control system structure, it hurts this game big time. It's time for consoles to look at developing a better method to control characters, because the game pad just doesn't work with these type of games. This should have been ported to the PC, and would would have been a far superior game. When the core components of the game are borderline un-playable, it detracts from the overall experience. Expand
  19. Oct 30, 2018
    I'm beyond frustrated with the horrible controls. Whenever I get into any "action", the game is basically over - not only is there no fine control, there's basically no control whatsoever - just button mash and hope for the best. But hey, the game is beautiful, right? But I'm afraid I'll never get to enjoy it - after I spend 3 hours or whatever traveling around, I end up almost literallyI'm beyond frustrated with the horrible controls. Whenever I get into any "action", the game is basically over - not only is there no fine control, there's basically no control whatsoever - just button mash and hope for the best. But hey, the game is beautiful, right? But I'm afraid I'll never get to enjoy it - after I spend 3 hours or whatever traveling around, I end up almost literally ripping my controller apart every time I get into a gun fight. For me, that's the opposite of fun - wish I'd saved $60 and just watched the YouTube videos for the graphics. Expand
  20. Oct 28, 2018
    It's beautiful, atmospheric, and cinematic... but I don't want to watch a cliche-ridden Western serial. The controls and gameplay are clunky. Inventory management is a chore. A lot of design choices feel half-baked such as the slowness of grabbing items, the messiness of horse controls and having to constantly holster your weapon, or having people continuing to talk to you even when you'reIt's beautiful, atmospheric, and cinematic... but I don't want to watch a cliche-ridden Western serial. The controls and gameplay are clunky. Inventory management is a chore. A lot of design choices feel half-baked such as the slowness of grabbing items, the messiness of horse controls and having to constantly holster your weapon, or having people continuing to talk to you even when you're reading something. Not to mention R*'s practices of overworking their employees... I don't know what went wrong, the first RDR was a masterpiece... Expand
  21. Oct 30, 2018
    What the hell is this Rockstar? Because it is not the Red Dead game that I was expecting...

Sure the graphics are great, but just about everything else sucks. And I mean it sucks! It might have a nice polished shell on the outside with amazing graphics, but on the inside there is a lack of content and it just isn't fun. It feels more like a chore. Apart from the main story, the open world just feels kind of empty and boring with too many mundane tasks. Having to feed your camp each day, polish your gun and collect cigarette cards is boring.

After playing AC: Odyssey for over 130 hours during the past 3 weeks (which I loved), having to switch to RDR2 now feels like a massive step down. The whole game feels kind of slow and boring, like it is a chore. The controls and whole combat system are absolutely awful (and where it really loses me) and it clearly needs reworking, and the open world actually feels quite empty. It's just not immersive beyond the graphics. How it took them 8 years to come up with this is beyond a joke. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed with it.

There are a number of other issues that are frustrating me - like being forced to walk around camp constantly, or the fact that the weather goes from foggy to clear in the click of a finger. Or rainy to sunny in an instant. Literally in the click of a finger. And it switches from dark to light in an instant and vice versa. Literally in the space of a second, rather than gradually changing. The bounty system is stupid as well and excessive, which becomes very frustrating very quickly. There's hardly any guns as well which really sucks. And not much to discover in the map. Looting people gets you like 40 cents, so you never have much money. There's just a lack of content in general and a lack of stuff to unlock. I wonder if Rockstar are saving it all for the online launch, when they can charge us more money for it...? Either way it's annoying.

Sort it out Rockstar!
  22. Oct 28, 2018
    I really appreciate the effort Rockstar put into this game. I was looking forward to spending endless hours and hours on it and was blinded by the hype.
    BUT sadly, it's not worth my precious time and money.
    Here's why: Rockstar screwed up the gameplay. It's so BORING. This game should be called Red Dead Slow Motion. Gameplay/Controls: Everything Arthur is doing, it's done so
    BUT sadly, it's not worth my precious time and money.

Gameplay/Controls:
    Everything Arthur is doing, it's done so slowly. Walking like a turtle, looting is a never-ending nightmare (you need to search every corpse in the same stupid way: kneeling down, groping the body, standing up again), aiming with your rifle is like lifting weights.
    Controls are too complex and clunky, not intuitive at all. You often fight more against your controller than the enemies. Remember fighting with Aloy against a Thunderjaw? Or mashing Sigrun with Kratos? Do you feel the flow? That's perfect gameplay which you are not going to find here.

Instead, in the very first chapter you will be riding bloody slowly behind some retards for hours and just pressing one button. Feels like horse simulator redux.

Graphics:
    The landscape is very beautiful and populated with wildlife. It's true eye candy. BUT the faces, oh boy, look at the faces. It's not '18 standard, it's last gen. The facial expression seems like the only thing where the devs didn't care about realism. And they did include shrinking horse balls!!

Story:
    I'm honest. I didn't make it very far. I quitted in the 2nd chapter. I was hoping for a story hook like in The Last of Us (similar case: mediocre gameplay, amaaazing story) but I was disappointed.
    The story starts with a boring prolonged tutorial containing riding, **** small talk, a little bit shooting, riding and more gossip. Your pals are so dull you can't even remember their names and they talk and talk and talk and can't stop talking.

Conclusion:
    This game is JUST OVERHYPED. It's a real life simulation where doing tasks feel like a chore. Boring, uninspired, clunky, slow-mo gameplay. Completely off the subject: Instead of focusing upon a fluid and interesting gameplay they wasted everything for endless, negligible, synchronized dialogues. PLEASE give me my money back!
  23. Oct 30, 2018
    I 100% completed first game and I had high hopes for this one. In a nutshell; gunfight gameplay is terrible, Arthur is way too slow it's not even realistic, 80% of the game is chores, honor system wants you to be a good guy or it will ruin your game experience. I used to love hunting in the first one, it has become boring as hell in this one because of sloooowww movements. Story is boringI 100% completed first game and I had high hopes for this one. In a nutshell; gunfight gameplay is terrible, Arthur is way too slow it's not even realistic, 80% of the game is chores, honor system wants you to be a good guy or it will ruin your game experience. I used to love hunting in the first one, it has become boring as hell in this one because of sloooowww movements. Story is boring too, nothing really happens. No thrilling mission. Yeah nice graphics though. But it's not even funny to look at the beauty of the nature because it's so long to go from point A to point B you don't want to go anymore. Expand
  24. Oct 27, 2018
    Massively disappointed with the visual quality on PS4 Pro. The game looks worse than any other game I have played on PS4. It is without a doubt the absolute worst looking game on PS4 Pro to date, that I have seen.
    And HDR is completely broken. And controls are buggy and unwieldy. And lighting on NPC characters look terrible.
    I would have expected this from an indy studio have their first
    I would have expected this from an indy studio have their first crack at making games. NOT from R*, the Kings of game development.
    Sure, the game underneath is probably a masterpiece, but I have to sit and look at it and it looks like absolute GARBAGE.
  25. Oct 26, 2018
    This, of course, is a very beautiful thing. There are many details in it. The world of the game is big and rich. BUT. But it's more like a movie. Very unhurried. There is not a lot of basic gameplay in it. It is clearly better than the first part. In which in general 90% of the time there were dialogues and movement from point A to point B. And then again conversations. Two or three shots.This, of course, is a very beautiful thing. There are many details in it. The world of the game is big and rich. BUT. But it's more like a movie. Very unhurried. There is not a lot of basic gameplay in it. It is clearly better than the first part. In which in general 90% of the time there were dialogues and movement from point A to point B. And then again conversations. Two or three shots. And the successful completion of the mission. In this series of gameplay more. But it is still not enough. Expand
  26. Oct 29, 2018
    In trying to create a deep world, Rockstar has outdone itself in the worst possible way. At its surface, the game appears to have everything promised to fulfill a glorious sequel to Read Dead Redemption: beautiful landscape, rich lore, and endless unscripted fun. Instead, Read Dead Redemption 2 takes itself too seriously. Cinematic for the sake of cinema. It begs the question: In all ofIn trying to create a deep world, Rockstar has outdone itself in the worst possible way. At its surface, the game appears to have everything promised to fulfill a glorious sequel to Read Dead Redemption: beautiful landscape, rich lore, and endless unscripted fun. Instead, Read Dead Redemption 2 takes itself too seriously. Cinematic for the sake of cinema. It begs the question: In all of the countless hours it took to create this game, did anyone bother to actually play it? Games, after all, are supposed to be play.

The controls of RDR2 may be the biggest surprise that I have experienced so far. If you think you are familiar with Rockstar controls after playing GTA V (and prior releases), think again. There is a lack of intuitiveness that can result in undesired consequences. In order to compensate for the overly complex controls that would be cumbersome, if not impossible, for one to fully grasp, there is an overlay that details different button actions.

The potential issues with controls are amplified by relatively slow and arduous animations. At times, you are restricted in motion (i.e. unable to run, unable to pull out gun, etc.) and it is not clear when/why this occurs. There are numerous instances where the game resets (weapons, horse hitch location, etc.) that result in the player needing to constantly micro-manage inventory and re-adjust.

The world is stunning at first glance. Graphically it may represent the peak capability of this console generation. The old adage “looks aren’t everything” comes to mind, because while the beauty will surely captivate you for hours, like all things it will begin to lose its charm in due time. The trees and the shadows cast from them are glorious — until your horse runs into them after you say ‘hello mister’ to a passing stranger and the camera’s re-direction causes you to instantly veer in the new direction. Try saying ‘hello’ to folk in town and see how straight you can maintain your horse. In stark contrast, consider Until Dawn, which maintained directional input through camera cuts, that is until a player stopped input all together, triggering the game to smartly re-adjust to the new orientation on the fly.

It is a cumulation of oversights and questionable development choices that undermine a monumental creation. Just how many hours is a player expected to spend in doing mundane tasks such as shaving, bathing, and brushing the horse. How many times must you pick up your hat? How many times must you watch the same looting animation? Or eat the same meal (stew) at the same interval (god forbid you have seconds).

The bounty system discourages, or even prevents, players from engaging in criminal activity. Yes, you are in a criminal gang. No, you may not gain money from doing things a gang typically does. Take for instance, looting a train. You may earn $100 from looting it. But you will have lost $200+ in the growing bounty that you must pay. Red Dead Redemption 2 takes it one step further than student loan debt in the U.S. - your bounty will actually carry through past your own demise - It only is resolved once the debt has been paid in full. The unbalance between reward & risk creates a sense of morality that Rockstar intents to bestow upon its gamers. Pick the role of noble Arthur, lest you find yourself a poor destitute as you bounce between cities getting killed or hauled away by bounty hunters.

High on the heels of success in GTA V Online, Rockstar intends to re-capturing the elusive lightning in the bottle of substantial micro-transaction purchases on the backs of loyal gamers. Despite its lack of availability upon launch, make no mistake, this feature will surely become a primary focus for Rockstar and its parent company Take-Two Interactive. After all, there are executives with a fiduciary responsibility, and shareholders that want a return. The absence of any “Season Pass” or bundled DLC at a flat rate is striking considering the Ultimate version comes in at $99 MSRP.

Ultimately, Red Dead Redemption 2 falls flat. It fails the simple test of: Is it fun? For those willing to overlook the numerous frustrations that could have easily been avoided, there lies an open-world Cowboy Western genre with no other competition in sight. For an average gamer looking for play, consider watching a Western movie, reading a Western book — you will have saved yourself 50 hours from a cinematic horse simulator, complete with a compelling cast & environment, and crippled gameplay mechanics.
  27. Oct 31, 2018
    Disclaimer here, I did not finish the game, I made it a bit past 10 hours in, but could not take it anymore and dropped it.

Red Dead Redemption is tied for my favorite game of all time, and very well could be. I played it a few months ago during my hype and anticipation for this game, and it has still held up incredibly well and was an absolute blast, I have probably beaten it 4-5 times total and have enjoyed it every time. Needless to say, I was hyped for RD2, and picked it up on opening night, planning to lose many hours to this game.

Well, that didn't happen. This is the most disappointing game that I have ever played.

Let me start off by saying that the production values, plot, voice acting, and environments are phenomenal. The world is truly beautiful, and attention to detail exceptional. The plot and characters are mostly excellent as well.

But my lord, the gameplay is bad. The control scheme is horrific and extremely outdated, where you still have to smash X to run instead of clicking L3. There is an input lag of one to a few seconds, so you rarely shoot or reload in the way you want to. Taking cover often doesn't work or happen, resulting in you potentially climbing over objects instead. Picking up guns, clothing, or items have three different buttons, resulting in frequent confusion. Knowing which weapons you have on you, switching weapons, and trying to use supplies buried in menus is often confusing.Arthur runs slowly, and your horse is also slow.

Moving around your camp is super slow, and the camp system is not good or cool at all, the bond between you and your gang is not well established. The systems shown in tutorials are not often how the game actually works (for example, you hunt and bring a live deer to a guy at your camp in a tutorial, but this is not how you give the guy hunted animals going forward). I would spend upwards of 20 minutes walking because you can't call your horse if it is too far away.

Interacting with the world around you is also super slow, it can take up to 10 seconds to examine items around you, and you will often be tasked with searching for every item in an entire building.

And, accidentally committing crimes is WAY too easy. A drunk guy stumbles in front of your horse and you run him over: the whole town starts shooting at you, wanted level is $20, have to surrender outside of town. Abysmal. Certain items can only be sold at certain shops, resulting in you spending too much time running to each different shop.

This game is just a shame. In the original Red Dead Redemption, the combat was quick and responsive, the world around you had attention to detail, intense gunfights, the ability to travel quickly, and selling all of your items at most shops. RD2 adds much more nuances and systems to create a more realistic experience, but this harms the experience mightily, resulting in slower gameplay all around: movement, combat, interaction, exploration. It is a video game, I understand creating a time period environment, but is realism the only thing that matters?!

Sorry for my long review, I was just more excited for this game than any other in a very long time, probably none since Zelda BotW, and as I mentioned, the original is my favorite game of all time. But this game is flat out boring and slow, and I do not understand the critic review, perhaps the hype has them inclined to leave a positive review?? Either way, I had said God of War PS4 is my most overrated game of this generation: no more. Red Dead 2 takes the cake.
  28. Oct 29, 2018
    Is this a Rockstar game? Where's the fun? Where's the humour?

Controls are a mess. Characters are boring and miserable. Game feels so and clunky, kinda reminded me of The Order 1886 and The Evil Within 2. User interface is terrible. What the hell are those itty bitty black and white icons? My health? Dead eye meter? No idea. The game doesn't want you to have fun. You have to do
    Is this a Rockstar game? Where's the fun? Where's the humour?

The game doesn't want you to have fun. You have to do what the game wants you to do how the game wants you to do it, which usually involves chasing after someone and tying them up or shooting them before they run away otherwise you are punished with game over and long boring re-load screen.

So much busy work. Everything feels like a chore.

Mediocre graphics, good but very underwhelming.

Anything good? Big open game world to explore with lots of detail and things to see and do but the game is ruined by focusing on dull simulation instead of fun gameplay.
  29. Oct 31, 2018
    For me, it's overhyped... While playing Witcher3, after 10 hours I don't wanna turn off console, wvery day after work playing to 2-3 am, every day thinking what I gonna do in game...
    In RDR2 after first 4 hours I was tired, 2 days later another 4h and again stopped playing.
    Now I'm after ~20h of game and it's little bit better, but still for me Witcher is 10/10, and this game? max 6/10... Maybe if I will finish game It will be higher, will see.
    + world, world in this game is AMAZING, it's true, simply beautiful.
    - controls... omg sometimes I was feeling like I need to one more finger on my hand... or spamming X X X X X X X to ride horse fast... like many people said: it's Horse Riding Simulator.
    - game is very slow in case of action... sometimes after 2h playing I realized that I did nothing, visited 2-3 places, found map, hunted deer, done, 2h lost :D

And, I dont understand so many 10/10 scores (also 0/10), there is 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10!!!! Think about it, be objective...
  30. Oct 29, 2018
    Completely oversold by "professional reviewers". Game would not be great even 5 years ago, let alone today. Gameplay is 10 years behind current games while story is boring and uninspired. And 60+ hours gameplay number comes from being forced to travel for 80% of the time.
  31. Oct 27, 2018
    Gorgeous game that I have waited for forever but I am let down. I love the slow pace but there are times when you want to go. You cannot. I saw a random crime taking place and jumped off my horse - got the gun ready and watched behind a rock (25 feet from my horse) they started to ride off quickly and i wanted to follow, kill or whatever -- call my horse it takes me literally 50 secondsGorgeous game that I have waited for forever but I am let down. I love the slow pace but there are times when you want to go. You cannot. I saw a random crime taking place and jumped off my horse - got the gun ready and watched behind a rock (25 feet from my horse) they started to ride off quickly and i wanted to follow, kill or whatever -- call my horse it takes me literally 50 seconds to get on my horse and start past the carriage I was watching that was feet in front of me. They were long gone. Things like this happen alot. The game controls are clunky and counter intuitive. Its a Rockstar game so I get the hype but this game is seriously in need of polish. No way that this game should be in the same breath as games like AC Odyssey, GOW and Spiderman. They are worlds better than this in every regard. This will look great but how long does that hold you? I want great game play - fluid controls. Forget a shootout where folks are behind you. I have been in three so far and have nearly killed myself or my horse while doing so. You cant keep moving tapping some silly button and focus on shooting while you fall off a cliff you cant see because you are aiming or trying to. Its a mess. This game for me is a 4 max. Everyone of my friends who game actually took time off with anticipation for this game like many people around the world did out of the 6 that did only one guy actually likes the game. That is shocking. Highest rating is a 5 because it looks so nice the rest is crap. I will finish the story but never touch this one again there is no need its a hot mess once you get over the visuals. Expand
  32. Oct 29, 2018
    Incredibly dull. Graphics on the landscapes are excellent. Graphics on the characters is terrible.
  33. Jan 6, 2019
    Game filled with tons of unnecesary details,plays nearly exactly like it's predecessor,mediocore shooting and painfully slow gameplay.Everyone on the internet be like "BEST GAEM EVUR DON'T HATE ON IT".If anything this game highly overrated almost as much as GTA V the most overrated game in the history.
    Can't wait for some fangirls from other sites to start screenshot me and other people who disliked this game to start attacking everyone who disliked this.But hey why would you act like a mature person and respect other peoples opinions when you can act like a literal baby and just start attacking people for having different opinions?
    Edit: Just finished the game, honestly one of the most average mediocore pieces of video game lately.
    Edit: Don't you guys love all those biased opinions? Almost everyone will tell you how awesome the game is, giving you petty reasons why game deserves 10/10 instantly, they'll be like "CUZ IT'S ROCKSTAR IT MUST BE 10/10" or "MINOR UNIMPORTANT DETAILS ARE SO C00L".
    Rockstars logo gives games immunity from criticism,don't believe me?Check out positive score.There is a huge gap between people who actually realize the game isn't perfect and people who blindly give it 10.
    And will let you guess which one is overwhelming,but by now it should be obvious.
    Edit: I'm lowering score from 4/10 to 2/10 because the community of this game is definitely something...
  34. Oct 26, 2018
    How did this game get such great reviews? The graphics are great but they have stripped all that was the original Red Dead Redemption out of it. Rockstar has added so many BS features it reminds me of GTA San Andreas with the stamina etc and the story and gameplay are so slow, even the basic items like riding your horse and getting to where you need to go are snail nut sack slow. I am aHow did this game get such great reviews? The graphics are great but they have stripped all that was the original Red Dead Redemption out of it. Rockstar has added so many BS features it reminds me of GTA San Andreas with the stamina etc and the story and gameplay are so slow, even the basic items like riding your horse and getting to where you need to go are snail nut sack slow. I am a huge fan of the last one but this one pisses me off in so many ways. After this many years I expected a more enhanced Red Dead experience only to be let down in an epic way! For those of you that enjoy this slow trash cheers to ya but this.......... Expand
  35. Oct 26, 2018
    Yes it looks like quality. It's detailed(visually).

But the gaming industry needs a slap in the face. This is just another Open-World Fetch quest but newer graphics and coboy skins. Wasted 80$Cad thinking this was going to be heaven's gift to mankind based off all the reviews. Never again! Looks like reviewers are given free copies in exchange for their "cooperation". No way in
    Yes it looks like quality. It's detailed(visually).

No way in HELL this game is 9.7/10 .

It's not bad. But if you played Witcher 3, GTA 5...etc You've played this game! Go fetch this and come back here. Go there save this guy, okay come back. Is this games nowadays??
  36. Oct 26, 2018
    kill 3 guys
    ride horse for 15 minutes kill 4 guys ride horse for 15 minutes kill 2 guys you get the point. its a bit boring to me how wide everything is but i do have to compliment this games great depth and huge amount of content. the wild west isnt just a backdrop but actually integrated into the game and fluently incorporated the aesthetic. the music was
    kill 3 guys
    kill 4 guys
    kill 2 guys
    you get the point. its a bit boring to me how wide everything is but i do have to compliment this games great depth and huge amount of content. the wild west isnt just a backdrop but actually integrated into the game and fluently incorporated the aesthetic. the music was pretty generic, it didnt accomplish much or do anything innovative but it still sounded like what you would expect from a huge budget game like this so idk what these 10/10 reviewers are talking about with the soundtrack being out of this world. wasnt for me, pick it up if you want, but i was just bored as **** by the down time in the game
  37. Nov 7, 2018
    I CAN'T BELIEVE I PAID $60 FOR A HORSE SIMULATOR. Pretty to look at, but it is a chore to play. The gunplay is clunky. Searching things is wonky (you will miss a lot of searchable items). Approaching people is hit or miss. I approached a lady stuck under a horse, lifted the horse off of her, and then hit L2 to talk to her like I had been doing with all other NPCs in the game. Instead itI CAN'T BELIEVE I PAID $60 FOR A HORSE SIMULATOR. Pretty to look at, but it is a chore to play. The gunplay is clunky. Searching things is wonky (you will miss a lot of searchable items). Approaching people is hit or miss. I approached a lady stuck under a horse, lifted the horse off of her, and then hit L2 to talk to her like I had been doing with all other NPCs in the game. Instead it interpreted L2 as ASSAULT THE LADY. And you want micromanagement? You've got it. If your f'in horse is DIRTY it tires more easily? How about just letting me PLAY the game? My entertainment time is too valuable for this. I want to play a game, but this feels like work. Hey Rockstar, once you have ONE HEALTH METER, get rid of the STAMINA stupidity (for horse AND main character? Really?), and bring back the stuff that made the previous title great I may repurchase. I LOVED RDR, I'd rate it a 9/10. This is just tedious. I'd rate it lower if I could. I bought this yesterday, played for 8 hours, returning it tomorrow. This game sucks so bad that I created a metacritic account for the sole purpose of writing this review. I've never been so disappointed in what had the potential to be a great game. IT'S JUST NOT FUN. I wrote a complaint letter to Rockstar. I've never written a complaint letter to anyone for anything. I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. It seems they forgot what makes video games fun. Expand
  38. Oct 27, 2018
  39. Mar 23, 2019
    I do not play games to feel the monotony of life. The aspects of games that are fun are the aspects that consist of the fun portions of real life without the tediousness of picking up a freaking jar or a box off of a desk or opening a cabinet to loot it ONE AT A TIME in the slowest loot animation on the planet.

I do not like not being able to RUN IN MY CAMP or being BOTHERED BY SOME

I do not like not being able to RUN IN MY CAMP or being BOTHERED BY SOME NAGGING CHARACTER that slows me down further from just getting the hell out of there.

You wanna know why people haven't done what you have before? Because they came to the correction conclusion that too real, ISN'T FUN. You have taken aspects of many popular games that were successful and then added a tedious monotony thinking it would be fun and unique. Its not. Its slow, boring, and a waste of my time. You thought you were going to set the bar with a game by making it closer to REAL LIFE?! - REAL LIFE IS BORING!!

Your forcing me to be completely reliant upon my horses inventory is annoying. The inability to fast travel is annoying. The inability for your game to remember my weapon load out once I leave my horse is ... well.. just plain stupid.

Your open world is plain and its tired. This isn't new. None of its new. They didn't set the bar, they set an example that everyone before them already knew what not to do and, in their arrogance, thought they were being unique.

Oh, and the controls are clunky slow garbage.

Otherwise, Great game! - Hunting is fun - Story is interesting - Graphics are excellent.

Would not buy again.
  40. Nov 9, 2018
    There is no possible way Rockstar didn't pay for these rave reviews. The game is a boring and tedious simulation game that niche gamer will love and the rest of us will find unplayable. It is essentially a 60 hour interactive movie (90% of which is riding around on your horse or listening to dialogue) with horribly unresponsive controls and terribly slow pacing. If you love details andThere is no possible way Rockstar didn't pay for these rave reviews. The game is a boring and tedious simulation game that niche gamer will love and the rest of us will find unplayable. It is essentially a 60 hour interactive movie (90% of which is riding around on your horse or listening to dialogue) with horribly unresponsive controls and terribly slow pacing. If you love details and tediously realistic simulation gameplay like having to manually keep your character fed and bathed, then you will probably enjoy this game. For the rest of us expecting an action / 3rd person shooter, this is a boring and incredibly overrated pile of garbage. I've never gotten burned worse than this on a preorder. Expand
  41. Oct 29, 2018
    This is the most overrated game ever.
    What's bad in Ubisoft open-world games are even worse in RDR2.
    First of all, the controls are bad, it feels really clumsy. I couldn't believe this is a 2018 game. When you push your left stick, the character won't immediately move. Whenever I wanted to interact with something or somebody, if you are not perfectly positioning yourself, you will not
    This is the most overrated game ever.
    What's bad in Ubisoft open-world games are even worse in RDR2.

Whenever I wanted to interact with something or somebody, if you are not perfectly positioning yourself, you will not be able to succeed.
    So you want to do some minor adjustments about your positioning or facing direction. Then you realize that the clumsy character won't move or just moved too much.
    There are actually two sets of controls you have to learn, or you'll get into big trouble. When you have your gun in your hand, you have to be very careful because pressing L2 means point your gun to someone, not to interact with. So you'll get yourself wanted very fast.

You are going to do a lot of fetch quests in which you have to ride your horse by constantly pressing button X, and you just kill/chase one or two bad guys and go back. This is no better than any other open-world games, and not even remotely close to those fun quests in BOTW.

And you're about to do a lot of chores in RDR2, which actually is not fun. I do not understand why anybody could think it fun.
    I even expected to wash my plate after the first time i've eaten something, while Rockstar didn't give me this option.

Hunting is fun, but rewards are little and I won't bother doing this much. You can't hunt while doing a quest 'cause you'll lose things you hunted.

What's even worse about this game is the bounty part. You get yourself wanted usually because of : 1. clunky control (run into someone with your horse or accidentally pressing wrong buttons resulting in shooting someone) 2. self-defense. If you kill, your bounty goes higher even if nobody saw it; if you don't, you'll get killed.

Do yourself a favor to not buy this game, or at least read more honest reviews before buying the most disappointment probably in your gaming life.
  42. Oct 26, 2018
    Very pretty game with an extremely generic open world and bland combat. If you thought cowboys didn't have a whole lot to do, then you were right.
  43. Oct 27, 2018
    Game is slow, controls are complex and clunky, character faces look blurry on pro it feels like Mafia 3... wait, other than the eyes(Mafia 3 eyes look really creepy), the face actually is blurrier than Mafia 3... the horror. Horizon zero, Odyssey, Spiderman, or even AC origin look better.

And frame rate problems right at start it cannot keep a stable 30 fps. There is also no fast travel. Would give a solid 6.5 but no such opinion.

Edited: After several hours of further playing, I decide this game doesn't deserve 6.5

It's still using an outdated faction system that is roughly 20 years ago like BG2.

When a lich or some rando casts arcane spell, the mage guild gives not a damn. When you cast it, they teleport to your face right away.

It's the same with RDR2. There're hundreds of ways getting you become wanted. You may fight back against some hostile mob then become wanted in town. Shoot some bandits or lion in wild and you become wanted. It's skyrim chicken and horse reporting the dragonborn all over again.

At least in Oblivion, npc would become criminals when they commit a crime. RDR2 is basically Skyrim where guards don't do nothing against thugs.

Mask doesn't work well either, the faction armor in New Vegas was way better.

And skyrim with *low end enb without texture mod" actually looks better than RDR2...

But the immursion, horse testicle shrink! You get to do hundreds of chores just like real life!
    I've enough, walking in camp is atrocious. RDR1 was better than this.
    It's like forcing skyrim frostfall, ineed and some other immursion animations mod for every action unto a huge open world where walking is insanely slow.

3.5
  44. Oct 26, 2018
    Player movement is really killing this game for me' slow and clunky. Looks nice though.
  45. Oct 31, 2018
    RDR2 leaves gamer bored after few hours. Story and its characters lack the interesting profile the prequal had. Game is pretty and map is big but the almost empty wasteland is just way too uninteresting to be explored. There are few laughs here and there but most of these are just meme worthy jokes.
  46. Oct 27, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jugando el Juego en PS4 PRO le falta mejor definición Gráfica y tiene bajones de fps. Por lo demás Bien Expand
  47. Oct 27, 2018
    Looks great, characters are interesting, but the gameplay... I played the first one, but had to quit rdr2 after 8 hours cause it felt like it was just wasting my time. I think I'll replay the first one.
  48. Oct 26, 2018
    The first time i booted up the game on ps4 pro my heart sank. I had such high expectations for this game in the graphical department but what a letdown! 20 hours in and the game is good no doubt! Controls are a little clunky but what Rockstar game isn't. But, in this age of graphics WARS, when people WANT TRUE 4K!!!!!!!!! Rockstar games should know better then to put out a game for nextThe first time i booted up the game on ps4 pro my heart sank. I had such high expectations for this game in the graphical department but what a letdown! 20 hours in and the game is good no doubt! Controls are a little clunky but what Rockstar game isn't. But, in this age of graphics WARS, when people WANT TRUE 4K!!!!!!!!! Rockstar games should know better then to put out a game for next gen that looks like past gen...way past gen! Expand
  49. Oct 26, 2018
    Just like most open world games, the novelty wears off and the world feels dead. It has nice gunplay but it gets repetitive fast and its story is its only saving grace.
  50. Oct 26, 2018
    I don't know but something is off in this game, game play is meh, the graphic are great, but not that great. Story is so so.... IT IS NOT THE BEST GAME EVER...FOR sure. It remember me Mass Effect Andromeda so yeah I'm comparing this game to Mass Effect Andromeda.
  51. Oct 31, 2018
    The feedback with the character It is not well achieved at the controls level. the complexity is good except when you sacrifice rhythm and fun.Bad game
  52. Oct 26, 2018
    Can't even begin to explain how disappointed i am, i almost dare to say it's the most boring game ever made in my 30 years of gaming, ok the scenery is nice, like most recent next Gen games nothing more nothing less, but the faces of the characters are so last Gen it hurts my eyes lol.. And every time the game speeds up a little bit couple seconda later u get slowed down again due toCan't even begin to explain how disappointed i am, i almost dare to say it's the most boring game ever made in my 30 years of gaming, ok the scenery is nice, like most recent next Gen games nothing more nothing less, but the faces of the characters are so last Gen it hurts my eyes lol.. And every time the game speeds up a little bit couple seconda later u get slowed down again due to another boring conversation or a cutscene or deep snow or pick your reason.. Looting a corpse takes 3-4 seconds wtf and looting in general is so much pain in the *ss as u barely notice where to loot I'm the first place, all the actions u have to long press to waste some more time I'm not surprised this is a 70 hour game lol..
    To end my disappointment auto aim shooting, fishing and hunting all at a senior pace I rather play Tetris, I hope the online gets better or i wasted some more money to loadstar, no slowstar :) slow ass redemption 2 big no for me :(
  53. Oct 26, 2018
    Grand Theft Auto V DLC mixed in with Assassins Creed 3. That's what i've gotten from this after 10 hours of play. Won't bother finishing it as i'm bored now. Too grindy and not much going on other than the usual stuff that we've already played in a Rockstar game a million times over already. Runs poorly with bad frame rate dips and clunky controls. Just watch someone stream it.
  54. Oct 26, 2018
    Extremely slow, with tons of unnecessary additions that only worsen the game.
  55. Oct 26, 2018
    Game graphics seems a bit blurry on PS4 Pro and it doesn't run as well as what i was seeing in the videos they showed leading up to the release.
  56. Oct 26, 2018
    Overhyped by the gaming media. Not to be trusted. Paid reviews. The game is more or less another generic open world.

The amount of so called “details” or “animations” are the result of overworking their employees to death. If they are going to do that anyways at least design a better inventory system and open world instead of focusing on minute details that don’t really add anything to the gameplay itself.
  57. Oct 26, 2018
    Very overdone game. media has given too many points. the game is very heavy and seedy. but the graphics are nice. There is nothing else beautiful.
  58. Oct 26, 2018
    Honestly, really disappointed with this, it seems like GTA V was Rockstars last hurrah. This game doesnt improve on GTA V, not even graphically.
  59. Oct 26, 2018
    I might change my outlook later but I went in expecting it to be on Nintendo’s level of quality but it wasn’t. I just stopped playing after getting it at midnight so it’s good for a long play as I’m not finished but so far it’s very repetitive and very slow. I don’t recommend it until a price drop later on.
  60. Oct 26, 2018
    It crashed multiple times on PS4 Pro even after downloading 3 patches. As for the game itself it is very boring and clunky. The character movement is not natural at all. Regarding the story mode it looks like it was a rushed release like God o War: out of place cutscenes and out of place missions
  61. Oct 26, 2018
    Vejo que não evoluiu como devia, além de ter várias partes repetitivas e cansativas, não se mostra superior a GTA 5 e não entendo porque existir um jogo assim tão ''Chato''.
  62. Oct 26, 2018
    Bored ananistic gameplay.
    I do not like westerns. Infinite sandbox, no active gameplay.
    **** for consoles.
    The worst gaming experience in the last few years.
  63. Oct 26, 2018
    This game is bland, generic and offers nothing new to the genre. It had the potential to be a great game, but ended up with as much substance as a coleslaw.
  64. Oct 26, 2018
  65. Oct 26, 2018
    Just a horse riding simulator. Ride horse, shoot something get bored. How can all these people give it 10 when it's been out mere hours.. No better than the original borefest of horse riding.
  66. Oct 26, 2018
    Симулятор лошади езди езди езди езди ничего интересного тут нет
  67. Oct 26, 2018
    This game is good at graphics and atmosphere as western, but its operationality is very poor and we have to learn too many things to play well.
  68. Oct 26, 2018
    The game looks like GTA 5, sometimes it seems that this is it, only with mods. Rockstar had a good advertising campaign, but I personally did not like the game. At the beginning, she tries to seem interesting, but these are just scripts to start the game.
  69. Oct 26, 2018
    плюсы игры - графика и проработка. Минусы - скучно, растянуто, делать нечего, мало событий, много езды на лошади и болтовни. Подойдет тем кто в восторге от вестернов и разговоров в играх, так как по сути это просто игровой фильм. Остальным скучно и покупать не советую!!!плюсы игры - графика и проработка. Минусы - скучно, растянуто, делать нечего, мало событий, много езды на лошади и болтовни. Подойдет тем кто в восторге от вестернов и разговоров в играх, так как по сути это просто игровой фильм. Остальным скучно и покупать не советую!!!
  70. Oct 26, 2018
    The first thing to not is that this game is huge, it takes a lot of space on the drive and is a massive memory suck. It's really clunky. I'm running it on a brand new ROG power laptop and the lag is fierce. The game play is also problematic, I've only played for a couple of hours and the missions have become repetitive and tedious. There is no doubt that it's pretty, and the imagery holdsThe first thing to not is that this game is huge, it takes a lot of space on the drive and is a massive memory suck. It's really clunky. I'm running it on a brand new ROG power laptop and the lag is fierce. The game play is also problematic, I've only played for a couple of hours and the missions have become repetitive and tedious. There is no doubt that it's pretty, and the imagery holds out the promise of something better, but the gloss comes off pretty quickly. Expand
  71. Oct 26, 2018
    The worst game I've ever played. Completely overrated due to its graphics and visual effects
  72. Oct 26, 2018
    A game with great potential ruined by a terrible company. Hope rockstar learns one day.
  73. Oct 26, 2018
    I have been waiting for this game for quite a while. I have to say I am disappointed. 1. Just because you play GTA5 doesn’t mean you know how to work the controller. Some people are new to gaming and a how to would be awesome. ONLINE PLAY?????????not available until maybe November 2018??? Wish i would have know that, I would have not bought the game until the beta was tested, and itI have been waiting for this game for quite a while. I have to say I am disappointed. 1. Just because you play GTA5 doesn’t mean you know how to work the controller. Some people are new to gaming and a how to would be awesome. ONLINE PLAY?????????not available until maybe November 2018??? Wish i would have know that, I would have not bought the game until the beta was tested, and it was working. This is only a single player game, and honestly i am disappointed. Rockstar should have done a better job at saying NO online play until way later,,,, but they are i the business of making money, and by admitting the truth, that would not have money in their bank accounts. Expand
  74. Mar 22, 2019
    This game is not even fun. At all. I'd rather just live real life. I'd rather go to work than play this game. I literally fall asleep with controller in hand, lol.
  75. Feb 18, 2019
    For Genre: Action Adventure - RDR2 is boring as hell !!! Fortunately, I didn't buy it as preorder.
  76. Jan 29, 2019
    4/10 because of SO much wrong with this game.

If you enjoy this game, it would be graphics and story. I hate this game to the point that i wish i didnt purchase it in the first place. First of all, the horse sucks. It looks pretty but it SUCKS. You constantly trip over rocks, crash onto trees and things dont really feel right with them horses running on the map. Especially when you
    4/10 because of SO much wrong with this game.

If you enjoy this game, it would be graphics and story.

I hate this game to the point that i wish i didnt purchase it in the first place. First of all, the horse sucks. It looks pretty but it SUCKS. You constantly trip over rocks, crash onto trees and things dont really feel right with them horses running on the map. Especially when you have to ride them for 10-20 minutes to almost every mission pointed destination, which leads to the second biggest issues of this mediocre game. In what way it makes sense to you that fast travels are only located in towns and camps while most of the time you're nowhere near them? And why would it be fun that almost every time you go to a mission it literally takes a more than 10 minutes ride while the horse controls are so terrible that you crash and fall over every possible objects in the way. Cant take off your goddamn mind for a second with the horse things. Extremely annoying. Last but not least, the gunplay and mission freedom are so outdated and limited. If you played other open world games in 2018 or even 2017, you know what i'm saying. I dislike GTAV and i thought this would be different but what a lesson have i learned. Same terrible gunplay and limited mission freedom. You must do EXACTLY whatever the missions tell you or it fails, accurately(i wish the horses have that accuracy so it wouldnt be that pain of an arse).

However, I must be fair, there's one thing i particularly like about this game - hunting. The hunting feels very good and i think its the only thing that makes me less angry with the game. Story is OKAY. Graphics are impressive but a good game is never about graphics.

Totally not recommended. If you're on the fense, i suggest you wait for sale, get it at around $20.
  77. Dec 6, 2018
    RDR2 is incredibly gorgeous and a technical marvel but I really didn't have very much fun with it. I logged over 60 hours and I played through the main story- I feel like of those 60 hours I probably had fun for less than 5 of them. If you had asked my opinion around the 10 hour mark I probably would have given the game a near perfect score. But as the game kept going, and going, and goingRDR2 is incredibly gorgeous and a technical marvel but I really didn't have very much fun with it. I logged over 60 hours and I played through the main story- I feel like of those 60 hours I probably had fun for less than 5 of them. If you had asked my opinion around the 10 hour mark I probably would have given the game a near perfect score. But as the game kept going, and going, and going I found myself becoming progressively more annoyed by the clunky mechanics and repetitive mission formula. The gunfights happen frequently and they all feel exactly the same. There's no progression in the mechanics and the enemies never change. The story mode gives you plenty of money so there's no real reason to do the side quests, plus there's really nothing worth buying anyway. I wish I had never bought multiple guns because all they do is take up inventory slots and make switching between them a chore.

It's hard for me to give the game a bad score because it's such an impressive open world- but really it wasn't much fun and my 60 hours would have been better spent doing something productive.
  78. Jan 6, 2019
    This game is shockingly boring for long stretches. It's not just the time spent riding from one place to another that's boring, most missions are a grind that are barley padded by hack-y dialogue as well. The shooting mechanics are impressively clunky as well. Unless you have endless time to waste in order to be genuinely entertained 5% of the time, you should save your time
  79. Dec 16, 2018
    Incredibly easy and repetitive. Just walk around tapping aim and shoot, everything dies, no need for taking any cover. Graphics are par at best compared to other new releases. Incredibly buggy.
  80. Feb 23, 2019
    I won't repeat what has been said already about the controls, clunky mechanics, chore like gameplay, generally boring, insane bounty system etc.

What I have not read is how badly this game suffers with a lack of any kind of motivation system or character development. You are given everything you need from the beginning and do not develop after this point. All the weapons are essentially the same and the upgrades are extremely limited. There is little to no point in doing anything. No point in doing any of the side activities as there are no decent rewards that make the game any more enjoyable. Where are the special weapons? Perks? Infinite ammo? Enhanced abilities? Anything at all besides slightly increased cores which are meaningless seeing as you have a thousand healing items on you at all times anyway. Besides advancing the story there is no reason to invest time into this game, it simply disappears down a black hole. When you can have the exact same experience with a game that you can have watching it on YouTube, you know something is very wrong.

Another personal gripe is the lack of enemy variety. It's only ever guys with guns and a couple of wild animals. I get that it is wild west realism but there is no requirement to approach any situation differently. All shootouts always play out in the same way (and the shooting is horrible). Where are the heavy guys or wagons with Gatling guns or steam powered giant spiders? It's all just so tedious and uninspired.

Other people have already written about the multitude of things wrong with this game better than I ever could so I will conclude with this: RDR2 is the gaming equivalent of apple Hubba bubba. Great for that first fleeting hit and very quickly dull and disappointing. The praise this game has received is nothing short of baffling and a sad indication of the wider population's inability to think independently or critically.
  81. Nov 29, 2018
    Horribly clunky controls paired with overly hostile npcs that punish you for defending yourself makes for an unenjoyable single player experience. The multiplayer is ruined by E.A grade greed the same as gta . Don't give these jokers any money if they just want to be EA clones.
  82. Dec 20, 2018
    The game is amazingly boring. You move at a pace that is roughly 7/10s the speed of a normal human in all situations except for the 1 second gunfights where you apparently take all that stored speed and stop time to kill 9 people in a fraction of a second. The entire game is basically following someone on a horse at walking speed while they tell you stories you probably aren't going to listen to
  83. Nov 15, 2018
    I was excited for the prequel given that I'd played the first a number of times. Unfortunately I am not impressed. The controls are old and sluggish, the loading times obscene and the game completely devoid anything you could call fun or engaging. I agree with others that RDR2 feels more like a movie you should watch than a game you can play. After an hour to install and patch, i spentI was excited for the prequel given that I'd played the first a number of times. Unfortunately I am not impressed. The controls are old and sluggish, the loading times obscene and the game completely devoid anything you could call fun or engaging. I agree with others that RDR2 feels more like a movie you should watch than a game you can play. After an hour to install and patch, i spent another hour holding X and listening to plot. When i tried to save my progress it refused (FYI the missions can be long and you cant save during) so i was forced to replay the first hour again before finally being set free. After I'd spent 3 to 4 hours having zero fun and listening to folks bang on about a bad heist I gave up. FYI Rockstar: no one ever has described the notion of getting food, changing clothes, washing yourself and your horse as "fun".

It is however a gorgeous looking world and i suspect there's a good plot in there somewhere. Unfortunately 4 hours of not fun is enough for me Im afraid. I might pick it up again one day when its in a bargain bin and i consider picking out hats to be a fun and engaging activity.
  84. Dec 25, 2018
    boring long horse-riding simulator
    instead of telling 20 hours story, they forced you to ride horse 25 hours and there we have a 45 hours of story content.
    gunfight is super lame, clunky and animations are worst of 2018 games
  85. Nov 14, 2018
    DE LONGE um dos piores jogos que joguei nesta geração, controles confusos e sem resposta, história rasa, personagens sem carisma, mundo pobre. Esqueça esses críticos que deram nota 10, se deixaram levar pelo hype. Quase dormi jogando, o jogo é uma tortura psicológica, e sobre o realismo? O jogo se auto sabota MUITAS VEZES nesse aspecto, só é real QUANDO ELE QUER,. Eu jogo para sair doDE LONGE um dos piores jogos que joguei nesta geração, controles confusos e sem resposta, história rasa, personagens sem carisma, mundo pobre. Esqueça esses críticos que deram nota 10, se deixaram levar pelo hype. Quase dormi jogando, o jogo é uma tortura psicológica, e sobre o realismo? O jogo se auto sabota MUITAS VEZES nesse aspecto, só é real QUANDO ELE QUER,. Eu jogo para sair do mundo real chato e monótono, não para entrar nele novamente (e de forma piorada). Horse Simulator define esse jogo. Expand
  86. Nov 29, 2018
    Sorry but I have to give this the lowest score.
    I was hunting for 3 hours, and on my way back to town and I get jumped by a rival gang. For some reason the character randomly put away ALL the weapons I had equipped so before I even got a chance to flee, I was dead. This happened frequently. Hunting takes a while. It's fun but getting **** on the way back to town is not.
    When you die the
    Sorry but I have to give this the lowest score.
    When you die the game takes away ALL your pelts and reloading an earlier save does not get them back.
    Not to mention "Dead Eye" works when it wants to. I rarely bothered with it because it rarely worked. I remember I had to restart the console during a main story mission just because it wasn't registering me mashing R1.
    Also your character is a klutz, I have never played a game where I accidentally robbed someone while trying to mount a horse.
    On the topic of crime, why do NPCs randomly shoot at me unprovoked, but when I shoot back it's a crime? Another thing happened where I literally walked by a corpse(no guns equipped and no mask on) and was reported for murder. Also, the game won't let you carry more than one bear pelt for realism, yet the moment you commit a crime the police arrive in seconds. That's **** ludicrous. It's a game, let me carry at least 3.

All this sounds amusing, until you realize this happens CONSTANTLY. It's funny the first time it happens, but gets old fast. I broke 2 controllers playing this game and I have NEVER done that before.
    Rockstar damned near killed their staff making this game but for some reason I am not allowed to keep my pelts when I save the game? How on **** earth is losing 3 hours of progress because the game rolled the dice fun? That's simply bad design.
    There was another game I wanted to play this week, and I wasted a week of my annual leave playing this trash heap. I simply refuse to play again.
  87. Nov 16, 2018
    Wonderfull world, weather effects, sunsets, sunrises, birds, horses, foxes etc. But this is not a fun game, this is interactive boring movie with animal reference guide and awkward controls/inventory/crafting.

P.S. I'm a big fan of RDR. But this game is a great disappointment.

P.P.S. It's necessary to eat, but it's not necessary to go to the toilet, this is strange. Waiting for patches.
  88. Nov 14, 2018
    I can't understand how anyone could give this game a positive review. I guess if you like riding your horse or wagon endlessly to repetitive musac; or listening to dull cowboy dialogue; maybe crappy, clunky controls are your thing? This is like playing a CGI movie where you push a button every so often to make sure you're still paying attention like a defensive driving class. I justI can't understand how anyone could give this game a positive review. I guess if you like riding your horse or wagon endlessly to repetitive musac; or listening to dull cowboy dialogue; maybe crappy, clunky controls are your thing? This is like playing a CGI movie where you push a button every so often to make sure you're still paying attention like a defensive driving class. I just finished Odyssey and it was incredible... RDR2 is just bad all the way around. Expand
  89. Nov 15, 2018
    I'm torn with this game on some parts it's brilliant but in other ways it's tedious. The mechanics feel old and annoying as do some of the quests I felt it should have been called Red Dead Rescue instead. Trying to seletct a weapon from your horse is such a joke that the game wheel should have been redesigned. Still prefer overall the previous Red Dead as it's central character andI'm torn with this game on some parts it's brilliant but in other ways it's tedious. The mechanics feel old and annoying as do some of the quests I felt it should have been called Red Dead Rescue instead. Trying to seletct a weapon from your horse is such a joke that the game wheel should have been redesigned. Still prefer overall the previous Red Dead as it's central character and story was better done. 2018 is for me the most overhyped year in games by going with a lot of the scores games got this year. Expand
  90. Nov 24, 2018
    this is in no way a masterpiece not even by a long shot. except for good graphics, there is nothing master or enjoyable, absolutely overhyped trash or the critics were paid off by rockstar. I will never trust the likes of IGN anymore
    -The gameplay is horrible and tedious.
    -gunbattles are trash -bad and sluggish controls -nothing enjoyable about the missions -80% of the game is just
    -The gameplay is horrible and tedious.
    -gunbattles are trash
    -bad and sluggish controls
    -nothing enjoyable about the missions
    -80% of the game is just riding on the horse doing nothing
    -a lot of cliche one-liners
    -when you move Arthur in a house or at camp. he moves like a very old man. Not fun!
    -no proper fast travel
    -Terrible health setting!
    -there is no emotional connect with the main or any side character, in fact, you will barely remember any side character.

Don't go by these so-called critics, all Bull!
  91. Jan 19, 2019
    Graphics are good..well, that's it basically. Highly overrated. Red Dead redemption ONE is much much better
  92. Mar 25, 2019
    Sry this is not a Game where you Can have fun with it. it is a Movie. Graphic is good but the gunplay etc. is Bad.
  93. Mar 21, 2019
    Good:
    + stunningly beautiful
    + great voice acting
    + open-world
    + single player game

Bad:
    - extremely slow walking speed makes it impossible to enjoy the game
    - clumsy combat
    - controls and movement much worse than in average FPS games
    - hundreds of cutscenes
    - mostly a horse riding simulator
    - slow pace and boring
  94. Mar 11, 2019
    You know the game's gonna be great when majority of positive reviews are basically people praising the game for minor details such as size of horse genitals.
    The game starts slowly, while playing you'll realise how slow and dragged on the game is, game takes about 20 hours to finish, but let's be real for a second, if it wasn't so slow anyone could finish it in less than 10 hours.
    The
    The story is nothing special, basically Red Dead Redemption 1.5.
    People seem to praise graphics but they're just blurry.
    Hype over actual content and quality of the game, that's basically all Rockstar games made after GTA IV.
  95. Nov 13, 2018
    First of all, this is a excellent game in terms of tech, but when we dive in the the game design, it's a mess. Simply too many regressions.
    I have give RDR 2 score 3 out of 10 for the following reasons.
    I have give RDR 2 score 3 out of 10 for the following reasons.
    First of all, the control is simply dispointing. It takes forever for the character to respond to my control input. When trying to fire your weapon quickly. I need to pull trigger twice, first was for fireing, seconds was for reload the second round. I can't reload last check point if I didn't commit suicide. The save game and load game options are so hidden in the menu. I can't remember how many time I need to call my stupid horse so I can fetch weapon, since getting off horse doesn't gurantee the weapon is with me. The list goes one.
    Second, this game is advocated for being realistic. I don't see a lot realism in the game. Let's take a look how stupid the lawman is in this game. If I ran into others on the horse, the law man shoots me. If ganster shoots me, lawman ignore. If I figth back, lawman shoots me. If lawman is fighting ganster and gets killed, other lawman saw the body of the lawman. Yes, you guess it, they will shoot me. And in this wild west, it seems lawman has telephones and portal so once I became wanted, they can be emerging from anywhere from the maps. Are you kidding me? I can't tell how many time I have been chased out of Saint Denis for those morrons, so I wouldn't be able to start a mission. And I can't buy a weapon in the store because they are locked? That's the realism I got, even I am rich as hell.
    Third, the horse is stupid as stupid. I have to get the horse brush through main mission, otherwise I can't even brush my stupid horse? That's really nice design there, especially considering the pace of the game is so slow. And the only reason the horse can be killed, is very apparently that, it will be needed in the end game. So they can bring more sentimental thing in the game.
    Four, I found it very hard to justify for the cost to develop this game. 8 B and 2000 people worked on it for eight years? That's what we got? Not happy about that. It's still very hard for me to believe to add the black border like a movie, they have been over work for a few monthes, and redid all the cg. Because the design team feels like it. That's the feel of movie? That's ridiculous to me.
  96. Nov 14, 2018
    Ironically unoriginal and disappointing. If this is your first time playing a Rockstar game, then have fun. For those who have played the original, at least, there's no innovation here. Tedious and dull.
  97. Nov 16, 2018
    the laggiest game ever atm. greedy publisher. plastic world. stop feeding the rockstar troll.
  98. Nov 12, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILERS AHEAD! so i got caught out, I did all the treasure hunts and gold generating methods i could find (excluding cheating) during the story. Then as the people who have finished will know Arthur dies and you then play as John. When Arthur dies, even though Arthur hands John his bag you will loose any contents Arthur has (for me about 15 gold bars among other valuables). This also means you cant go redo the any of these hunts. After contacting Rockstar support asking if this is by design, they confirmed yes it is and your not supposed to retain anything you've worked for before Arthur dies. So for a game that's pushing the story mode you get screwed over when you finish. You are far better off by not finishing the game.

snippet from rockstar support "I understand you are disappointed with the ending of the game. I know that the fact that you cannot play Arthur anymore didn't bode well with many players. However this is as per game mechanics and we have no control over it. We do appreciate an honest feedback from our players. Thank you for it.

If you are disappointed with RDRII's ending I would suggest you to please play Mass Effect 3."
  99. Jan 17, 2019
    this is my message to Rockstar:

this is my message to Rockstar:

I just purchased the Ultimate Edition of RDR2 and I'm extremely dissapointed in the graphics of this game. Had I known the game was going to look like this (not even close to GTA5) I would have never purchased it. After spending hours trying to get HDR to work, I finally went online and saw the issue isn't isolated to me. So I followed others advice and disabled HDR in the game.

This did help the game's graphics a little, but it seems like it's blurry, too dark at many times, has a layer of graininess, and the motion blur or whatever that's going on seems to make things worse.

I can't believe the step down from GTA5 graphics. This game was built for this gen platform yet it seems like many steps backwards.

Are you guys trying to fix this, or is this what I'm stuck with. The game play seems to be fun, but these graphics literally hinder me from seeing animals, sometimes people, etc. and truly make this a very unpleasant experience.

There response and closed the ticket as resolved:

Thank you for contacting Rockstar.

We understand you are still experiencing graphical issues with Red Dead Redemption 2. I completely understand your frustration with this issue since the game is newer than GTA V and should have updated looked graphics with little to no issues.

We are aware of players experiencing issues with HDR and graphics with the PS4 and are currently looking into it. We sincerely appreciate your patience while we look for a solution to this hindrance.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us again.

Best regards,

Keelia K.
    Rockstar Support.

This response was on 1/16/19

Nearly 3 months from the release date. Pretty much every review site says this is the greatest game for the ps4. That's a big fat lie. I have spent more time adjusting display settings than actually playing the game.

It would be nice if game reviews were honest and quit misleading people.

Yes, the gameplay is fun, when you can see what you're doing. And on the ps4 PRO that isn't a whole lot.

Or maybe Arthur is half blind and I just haven't made it that far in the game?
  100. Nov 26, 2018
    Literally one of the worst games I've ever played. Got bored of this **** game after a day of playing. If this is truly the best the industry has to offer, the gaming industry is in gigantic trouble and needs to gets its head of its own ass.

Played on Xbox One X.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 31, 2018
    Amazing not only for Western lovers. No other game has probably offered so many options to express yourself in the open world, and at the same time did not have such an interesting, rough and moving story. A magnificent experience, with a slightly slower start. [Issue#291]
  2. Nov 30, 2018
    The first new game from Rockstar for this generation of consoles doesn't disappoint, it is as impressive as you hoped it to be.
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Nov 21, 2018
    It’s astonishing how many animations, dialogues and scripted behaviors were made for this game, and how well they work with each other to create such a complex, immersive world. [Issue #233, p.38]