7.9

1. Mar 22, 2019
    I was definitely sure it would be a great game. From Software never fails. I took a few hours to play and that's what I expected. I am in heaven ! Everything is amazing.
    Great atmosphere, graphics and story. You can fell the soul of previous games. I was really missing this world a lot. Finally got it.
    Thank you FromSoftware once again ! You're the best in the world
  2. Mar 22, 2019
    Im amazed how much different this game is compared to other Fromsoftware games but it still has that nice and satisfying essence of souls game in it. Just buy and enjoy this masterpiece.
  3. Mar 22, 2019
    Another masterpiece from From Software. Epic gameplay and new revolution from dark souls.

Ingore the casual players rating this masterpiece whit 0-6....
  4. Mar 22, 2019
    Game of the year!!
    A perfect accompaniment to the SoulsBorne series, with plenty of unique ideas of its own and some of the best combat of the generation.
  5. Mar 22, 2019
    This game is a masterpiece...graphics are ok but gameplay wise this is a great experience... The whole posture mechanic set the difficulty bar over the top. A must have.
  6. Mar 22, 2019
    Top notch From Software release! Easily entitled for Game of the Year 2019! Sekiro is Rich it's Exciting and it's New. You can feel the soulsborne in the backbone, but everything else is stripped away and made new. Especially new movement, environmental exploration and freedom is so much fun to do and in combat it really works and gives you choices! Combat is fluid, challenging and itTop notch From Software release! Easily entitled for Game of the Year 2019! Sekiro is Rich it's Exciting and it's New. You can feel the soulsborne in the backbone, but everything else is stripped away and made new. Especially new movement, environmental exploration and freedom is so much fun to do and in combat it really works and gives you choices! Combat is fluid, challenging and it forces you to learn all the tricks of trade and implement your new skills in various different ways. Difficulty of the game feels similar to all soulsborne games, it's hard and sometimes feels impossible, but after trying and learning your enemies you will overcome and it's rewarding as always! Anyone looking for good action game and especially if you love soulsborne games Sekiro is your choice! 10/10 Expand
  7. Mar 22, 2019
    Where have I been? I was sad they had no plans for another Dark Souls, but this is pretty much another spiritual sequel that look pretty cool
    The way i see it. This game can go far and the way you play... ok
  8. Apr 16, 2019
    I am die hard souls veteren. I want to say I love Sekiro, I really do, it is fantastic brutal action game, but it has its own problems that drags the score down from perfection.
    Pro 1.Combat Mechanic is the best in the market right now. Posture system, Deflecting, Jumping, Unblockable attack and of cousre the Mikiri (Counter thrust by step on enemy's weapon) are what make the game
    Pro
    1.Combat Mechanic is the best in the market right now. Posture system, Deflecting, Jumping, Unblockable attack and of cousre the Mikiri (Counter thrust by step on enemy's weapon) are what make the game unique and full of excitement. It is much much better than any soul game I've ever played. I hope Fromsoft continue this system.

2. Scenary is very beautiful and colorful.

3.Story is fair, at least much easier to understand.
    Cons
    1. Skill moves and Prothestic tools are underwhelming. They are looked cool as first but once you play the gamethoroughly, you will come to the conclusion that those things are just small gimmicks. Especially the skill moves, all of them are hardly be said that they are better than your normal attack. (Except, the skill called icjimon double, that one may be only skill that can be very useful in some fights). On the top of that, you can equip only 1 skill move at time, you can't even quick swap skill move. What the heck is with that ? This is 2018, there are so many games that allows you equip 4 skills at the same time. It is 100% possible. Does Miyazaki think it will be imbalance to do that ? I don't really understand at all.

Prothestic tools, however, can be helpful but it has limited use. In the end, what you will do most is normal attack, which lead to the lack of diversity in this game, thus lead to less replayability than other soul titles.
    2. Stealth mechanic is too powerful. You can kill most of enemies along the way with stealh, or just sneak past them, which makes combat along the way become trivial. The game only hard when come to boss fight that you can't stealth kill. Even Minibosses, you can outright destory half of their hp with stealth . What is fun about that ?. This game shines most from combat mechanic, not stealth mechanic. However, because stealth has almost no risk (very easy to do) but get same reward (exp) like you fight head on, so why should I fight head on ?. Moreover, stealth mechanic in this game is very mediocre, you get behind enemy or jump from above, that is it. I hope stealth get nerfed hard. It is ok to sneak pass, but not outright kill high hg enemies or half minibosses hp, right now it is way too strong.
    3.No multiplayer ? admit it, this decrease replayability. Besides, without coop system, many people can't finished this game due to the sheer difficulty. I am fine but some of my friends will not be able to play it.
    That is all for Sekiro. Beating the game first time I spent 50 hrs (but I explored and farmmed a lot to test each skill, the actual time should be like 30 hrs ). I definitely buy Sekiro 2 or DLC but for now, I think the all skill moves need hard buffs. Prothestic tools needs to more love with the upgraded version. Please nerf the stealth kill. The game is great.
  9. Apr 15, 2019
    MINOR SPOILERS
    MINOR SPOILERS
    Though I found Sekiro's world slightly less immersive/interesting to explore than previous FromSoftware titles, notably Bloodborne and even Dark Souls III (it's close), it still had the developer's signature sense of atmosphere. The areas were a bit too similar in my opinion, minus two to three changes of pace (Senpou, Fountainhead, Hirata to a lesser extent), and there seemed to be less overall areas to explore. I found the "optional" areas to be somewhat lacking as well, as some of the optional bosses were just retreads of previous bosses with a twist and several of them took place on the same battlefield as a prior fight. Nonetheless, the boss fights in Sekiro are top notch. As far as overall consistency of quality, this is FromSoft's best effort to date. From the first main boss encounter on, each one (with maybe two exceptions) is a challenging and adrenaline-pumping clash of swords. Even the classic gimmick fight found in every SoulsBorne game is improved here in almost every level: the gorgeous visuals, enjoyment, arena, etc. Having a lone katana as the main weapon also allowed FromSoft to make their bosses as unique as possible, displayed in their fighting style as well as their design, without having to worry about what approach the player is taking (like the Souls series: spellcaster, dex, strength, etc.). The enemy variety was kind of bland, mostly humanoid, but narratively I understand that was kind of necessary. The mini bosses were also a nice break-up between exploring en route to the next big bad and offered vital rewards upon defeat, though there were far too many re-skins in this department and some of them were just a chore to to fight. Another highlight of FromSoft's last few games has been the excellent and riveting soundtracks. Having played Bloodborne and Dark Souls III nearing Sekiro's release, I found the soundtrack a bit underwhelming (which was my mistake of expectation). However, upon replays the music has really grown on me and definitely fits the world perfectly. Some tracks that stand out are CM, LB, ISS, O, and GA (boss initials). Final point of praise: the combat, once understood, is probably the most satisfying I've ever played in a videogame. Although it isn't quite the masterpiece I expected, it is definitely my early 2019 GOTY in an already crowded year and a game that was well worth the wait. Already itching to see what FromSoft comes up with next. 8.9/10.
  10. Mar 31, 2019
    Sekiro is a beautiful game, with "difficulty" at his centerpiece. In this it succeeded completely. Your typical gamesession is a brief exploring part (which is very well done) followed by either a mini- or a fully fledged boss encounter - that will take you easily 1-2 hours to learn.
    To get past those you have to learn all their moveset, and use the appropriate tool (fire, etc). And as every major boss has a different strategy, this turn into a long session of learning before you finally can kill the boss and proceed.
    Now this is the usual Dark Souls formula - but: no leveling up and no coop help. Which means the game is unforgiving forcing you to learn and execute everything perfectly (hence "difficulty"). And here is the problem, after the umpteen boss, faced with yet another 2-3 hours of learning and dying and repeating (and praying for luck), you don't feel the challenge anymore - you feel just tired of it. The "wow" moment after finally winning (which for me happened just once - and I'm at the last one) goes and is replaced by "i hope the next boss is not another slog".
    I can understand really hard-core gamers, the one loggin 12 hours a day in the first week, getting very good at this game - after all once you learn it it is much easier to play. But finding the motivation to invest 60 hours of time - of which 90% is spent learning/dying/repeating - is a bit hard.
    Specially considering that all your new skills are for nothing - there is no coop, no PvP, no fancy fashion souls. In the old games the prospect of helping other players or just bundling up to try and fight a boss together - the "jolly cooperation" - was a huge motivation. And very rewarding. This has been lost in Sekiro.
  11. Apr 8, 2019
    I went into this game expecting to be able to play through it without worries, since I played all 4 Soulsborne games. I was wrong ... very wrong.

The combat is punishing, requires you to constantly be aware of your health, posture and the health of enemies. It is like Dark Souls, but it isn't. The parkour and stealth aspects allow you to skip enemies if you please, or you can rush in and deflect your way through with fast-paced, intense combat.

Unlike Soulsborne, it also has a very vibrant colour palette to it. While there aren't many areas that stick out significantly, the various green and sometimes pink mixed into the gray, dark environments that FROM used to make really help motivate you to continue on, no matter how often you fail at a boss. And as usual, the end boss is really great.

However, I should point out that if you don't have a lot of patience, this game is NOT for you. Memorizing a moveset from a boss takes time and effort. And you will die a lot.

Sadly, one of the downsides is that this game lacks replay value. If you want to get all trophies, you will have to either play through the game 5+ times or grind. I felt like the NG+ and further became worse and worse throughout the series, with Dark Souls 3 only changing item locations. In Sekiro, it only affects items that can increase your health or healing items, the rest stay the same. This combined with the lack of different builds made me despise playing through NG+4 in order to get the last trophy needed.
  12. Apr 1, 2019
    A truly marvellous game. The lack of multiplayer and the greater emphasis on skill based gameplay over character stat development means that every victory is YOURS and not the result of an overlevelled character (well, unless you gain a certain object at least). No other game has had me yelling swears at my defeat and celebrations of joy when I finally won.

If I was to make a piece of

If I was to make a piece of constructive criticism I’d say that the penalty system (losing half of everything on a full death unless you win RNG) promotes grinding, I do worry slightly that Activision will start selling skill points given their record and the way this system encourages grinding exp in order to gain more skills and (ultimately) more attack power. The soulsborne system of regaining your experience if you were able to return to th el,ace you died was better as you could still progress your character despite death, whereas here I would be woefully lacking in skills if I hadn’t indulged in grinding certain areas.

So.... yeah. Buy this if you like a challenge. Might want to cut your teeth on soulsborne first though.
  13. Mar 28, 2019
    If you like samurai/ninja and Japanese lore as well as the Soulsborne games, then run and buy this. I have not been able to put Sekiro down. If you are new to FromSoftware's games then be prepared for extremely intense yet rewarding mechanics that you don't find in modern games. People saying there is no leveling up are not good enough to progress I assume. There is character leveling,If you like samurai/ninja and Japanese lore as well as the Soulsborne games, then run and buy this. I have not been able to put Sekiro down. If you are new to FromSoftware's games then be prepared for extremely intense yet rewarding mechanics that you don't find in modern games. People saying there is no leveling up are not good enough to progress I assume. There is character leveling, skill leveling and tool leveling. No, there is no difficulty setting (except a trick to make it harder) Yes, you lose XP and money when you die. Yes, you will die a lot. No risk, no reward. There are always systems in place in any Fromsoftware game and this is one of the most fast paced and intense game they have ever made. Highly recommended. Expand
  14. Mar 29, 2019
    While there are a far too many mini-bosses, the game-play and atmosphere is masterful. It's different enough from the Souls games, and a bit reminiscent of the Gaiden games. Players both old and new to From Software can enjoy this challenging, exciting, and at times frustrating title.
  15. Apr 3, 2019
    Sekiro is what you would come to expect from such a consistent developer, the world is a joy to explore, enemy design and animations are great and the difficulty is high (more than ever). Seriously, if you are interested in buying this game, know that some segments, specially bosses, can be soul-crushing at times. But then, overcoming this obstacles is just so satisfying and addicting,Sekiro is what you would come to expect from such a consistent developer, the world is a joy to explore, enemy design and animations are great and the difficulty is high (more than ever). Seriously, if you are interested in buying this game, know that some segments, specially bosses, can be soul-crushing at times. But then, overcoming this obstacles is just so satisfying and addicting, that you can only ask for more. The story is solid, with multiple endings as well, and gameplay feels very good to play. I'm not giving it a 10/10 only because replay value is not as high on this one as in previous FromSoft works. Don't get me wrong, you can easily sink dozens of hours in this game (your first playthrough you take around 30-60 hours, a hell of a lot more than the average game for sure!), maybe just not hundreds as it did in previous soulsborne games. FromSoftware set out to create an action game with RPG elements this time around, and they did a damn good job at that. Expand
  16. Apr 22, 2019
    I made an account just to review this game. Honestly one of the most satisfying games I have played because I could just feel myself improving. Yes, there are times when you will feel frustrated and would want to delete the game, but the send of immense victory you feel on overcoming a particular boss that has been giving you a hard time is unparalleled. Miyazaki has done it again!
  17. Mar 31, 2019
    Very few games nowadays dare to challenge players beyond their own apparent capacities. From the Posture System to the Combat Arts, FromSoftware developed a Souls-like game with a very unique identity. Mastering all its little intricacies is an absolute joy, and I can't remember any other game making me feel such a rush. Absolutely recommended..
  18. Mar 24, 2019
    As long time souls fan spanning from Demon souls to Blood born this game is truly a great successor of the souls franchise. I will say forget everything you know about combat in previous souls game in term of advanced combat. This game will completely punish you for even attempting to play it like any of the other souls game and teaches you a whole new way to look at combat allowing a newAs long time souls fan spanning from Demon souls to Blood born this game is truly a great successor of the souls franchise. I will say forget everything you know about combat in previous souls game in term of advanced combat. This game will completely punish you for even attempting to play it like any of the other souls game and teaches you a whole new way to look at combat allowing a new whole brand of skills to develop as you progress. Every time a new boss had appeared and i felt like i learned something new in combat without it telling me like how to space cretin bosses or learning how to make incredible high speed deflections. Every fight i felt like i was in so far i felt a real accomplishment and i love it. Expand
  19. Mar 25, 2019
    This game comes from a company that is notorious for making very difficult games and Sekiro is no different. In fact it is more difficult than their previous games like Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but don't let the difficulty push you away. Despite the title, I died a lot more than twice in my play through yet I almost never felt cheated. The game brilliantly balances fast, but methodicalThis game comes from a company that is notorious for making very difficult games and Sekiro is no different. In fact it is more difficult than their previous games like Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but don't let the difficulty push you away. Despite the title, I died a lot more than twice in my play through yet I almost never felt cheated. The game brilliantly balances fast, but methodical combat with stealth and rewards persistence. The only problem could performance on console with the frame rate staying at thirty frames consistently to take a sudden dive every so often. There are a few needlessly frustrating enemies and a couple minor issues that are far out-shown by the quality of everything else. I could go on for quite a while about its beautiful art style and great story, but the bottom line is that this game is well worth your time. That is, if you're up for it. Expand
  20. Mar 24, 2019
    Lots of bad reviews here because From Software didn't make the game the person wanted (i.e another Soulsborne game) rather than because Sekiro is a bad game. Sekiro is a VERY good game. Whilst it has some of the feeling of Souls game, it clearly is a different beast.

The combat system feels fresh, but is very difficult to master. It feels satisfying however when you get into a fight where you are blocking and scoring hits on the counter. It feels realistic. The movement is fluid and jumping over trees and buildings using the grappling hook feels very satisfying.

Whilst Sekiro doesn't have all of the customisation Dark Souls had, there is still enough to get your teeth into. With skill trees for both your character and your prosthetic weapon, it's not just a shallow action game with very little substance.

The game is hard. I mean REALLY hard. But it's also a great deal of fun. I'm a massive Dark Souls fan, but I appreciate that this is a different direction, and it's a game that Miyazaki and his team have done a fantastic job with. Don't be put off by people who are upset that it's not another Souls game or that it's single-player only. There is enough in this game to keep any Souls fan busy.
  21. Mar 25, 2019
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is, at it's core, an updated publishing of Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. I hesitate to even compare it to Dark Souls, because it is so, so different. However, I will since I know that is on everyone's mind - including my own. I have played all of the Dark Souls games and have thoroughly enjoyed them. When taken in it's own light, Sekiro it is fairly close to perfect.Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is, at it's core, an updated publishing of Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. I hesitate to even compare it to Dark Souls, because it is so, so different. However, I will since I know that is on everyone's mind - including my own. I have played all of the Dark Souls games and have thoroughly enjoyed them. When taken in it's own light, Sekiro it is fairly close to perfect. It does have some blemishes, but the luster is almost blinding at this point. I think if players can stop trying to shoe horn it into the Dark Souls catalogue, they will learn to love it.

Tenchu is one of my all time favorite games, it arrived on the market in 1998 for the PS1. To look at the graphics today and marvel at how it was even playable back then, is a demonstration of just how far game engines have come. Many games owe their success to Tenchu, being a pioneer of stealth tactical games. The unique play style is as engaging now as it was 20 years ago.

The level design is incredible. This is one instance where sharing resources with Dark Souls is not a bad thing. I've only been playing for a few days, and I have not cleared very much of the game, but the environment so far is breath taking. It begs to be explored, and there are a plethora of corners to find and inspect. That cliff dropping into the bottomless chasm has a shelf to drop down to, provided you figure out the path to it. That rocky outcrop that seems unreachable actually is, and getting there is half the fun.

I read so many complaints in this board that Sekiro is a poor excuse for a Dark Souls / Nioh love child. Yes, it is. However, that is not what this game is about. A Ferrari makes a poor work truck, and Sekiro is the Ferrari. I've played all the Dark Souls and I love them. They are great games. That doesn't mean this is a bad game. If you think it is a bad game because it's not Dark Souls, you're missing the point.

I noticed right away that the controls are lightning fast and responsive, but not squirrely. Playing Dark Souls, I always feel like I'm moving with drag, even if I'm skinny rolling. There's just so much weight to the controls, albeit with very concise feedback; well, not Dark Souls 2, feedback was horrible in DS2. Sekiro is about maneuvering into an advantageous position with speed and then executing that advantage. A purpose that is succinctly delivered upon. I get excited when I see the opportunity to chain the grappling hook action to "Spider Man" my way around the area, and I achieve a great sense of accomplishment from stealth take downs.

Unlike Dark Souls, this game has a coherent story which unfolds as you play. This doesn't have an esoteric lore that will take a community of YouTube streamers 3 years to unravel by reading item descriptions and hyper analyzing the fleeting lines of speech from NPCs. Sekiro's story It's woven into the progress of the game, the story will compel you to reach just a little farther to get the next verse and learn more about the protagonist and his charge.

This game does share some common mechanics and story telling techniques with Dark Souls. I found it uncanny and unnecessary. There is a central hub where a female avatar will unveil story elements and upgrade your Sunny D, there's a crafts man who whiles away his time while you're not around by crafting items of his desire, there are fast travel points that act as leveling spots. These are all cosmetic, since the bedrock of Dark Souls is min - maxing your spec, playing fashion Souls and gitting gud.

Another place where this game suffers is the heavy reliance on "hit and run tactics". Unfortunately, the enemy placement seems at times to be inconsiderate of this. Or they expect an assassin to barrel head long into groups of enemies. It's just not practical to fight an enemy head on while two or more take shots at you.

Should you play this game? If you expect it to be Dark Souls and wont forgive it for not being so, then no. Save yourself the trouble. However, if any of what I've said sparks an interest in you, then yes, you should.
  22. Mar 29, 2019
    It's a great game. FromSoft managed to create something fresh while still keeping many elements that made their latest games so enjoyable. It's not perfect by any means, but people giving it low scores either don't understand how reviews work, or are just mad because they couldn't get past a boss fight. GIT GUD
  23. Apr 2, 2019
    Perfect balance, amazing fighting system, rich atmosphere make this game a pure brilliant
  24. Mar 30, 2019
    Only game from software has made thats better is bloodborne. Props to being a new IP and absolutely nailing the gameplay and story, despite trimming a lot of rpg stuff.
  25. Apr 18, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. fantastic atmosphere and world designs. as someone who's a huge Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne fan Ive had a truly hard time adjusting to the parry method rather than dodging method and have died many many many many many times, giving the rot to most of my available npcs, all before the first boss in the past when the estate was burning. Thats my fault though not the games but i cant help but to miss the gradual progression through leveling up. Expand
  26. Mar 24, 2019
    I am a souls veteran. All the way back to Demon souls. I love this game. It is awesome. The grappling hook adds a vertical element to the game that is unlike anything else. The game is fairly tough. I died a LOT at first. The mechanics of the combat are definitely its own. If you try to use the dark souls style to the game. It will punish you brutally. I would have given it a 10. ExceptI am a souls veteran. All the way back to Demon souls. I love this game. It is awesome. The grappling hook adds a vertical element to the game that is unlike anything else. The game is fairly tough. I died a LOT at first. The mechanics of the combat are definitely its own. If you try to use the dark souls style to the game. It will punish you brutally. I would have given it a 10. Except that there is no character customization. There is no online play. Of course these things could be added later. If you were a souls veteran who loved the sword builds. Congrats. This is truly the game for you. Expand
  27. Mar 29, 2019
    In a genre now becoming crowded with rip offs of the dark souls formula, Sekiro delivers a unique and unforgettable experience that takes the tropes of it and adapts them into something very new. The combat system will take a long time to master but when you have it is the most fluid and enjoyable combat in the menagerie of From Software games. My only complaint may be the slight lack ofIn a genre now becoming crowded with rip offs of the dark souls formula, Sekiro delivers a unique and unforgettable experience that takes the tropes of it and adapts them into something very new. The combat system will take a long time to master but when you have it is the most fluid and enjoyable combat in the menagerie of From Software games. My only complaint may be the slight lack of visual customization for sekiro hinself, but it serves as a reminder, that this isnt a Souls title. Its possible better. Expand
  28. Mar 24, 2019
    The game is good, good graphics, good mechanics, AI of the NPC good, is challenging, is not repetitive, does not have to spend 2/3 of the game doing side quests, fun and well done fights scheme. Sekiro presents several ways to accomplish missions, and brings the touch of FromSoftware in its great difficulty and punishing the player for his mistakes. But the game is not perfect. The cameraThe game is good, good graphics, good mechanics, AI of the NPC good, is challenging, is not repetitive, does not have to spend 2/3 of the game doing side quests, fun and well done fights scheme. Sekiro presents several ways to accomplish missions, and brings the touch of FromSoftware in its great difficulty and punishing the player for his mistakes. But the game is not perfect. The camera disrupts the player in small places, rendering occurring in front of him, some bugs mainly with NPCs. But do not take away the brightness of the work. I hope they are corrected. Expand
  29. Apr 1, 2019
    why the hell are there so many salty fans, who haven't beaten half of the game, reviewing this?? This game is a masterpiece. From softwares second best game all time, and possibly one of the top 5 games this gen. This deserves all the 9s and 10s.
  30. Mar 27, 2019
    Шедевральная смесь Тенчу и Душ, великолепный гемдизайн и боевка в частности! Оторваться от игры невозможно, в нее хочется возвращаться снова и снова, исследовать каждый уголок этого мира.
  31. Mar 26, 2019
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a fantastic game, that both previous and newcomers to the game’s style will be able to hop in and enjoy. The game is marked for it’s intense combat, strategic thinking, and beautiful world design, while only suffering from some minor polishing issues as well as a questionable amount of replayability.
  32. Apr 7, 2019
    Sekiro is a great game in a vacuum. Compared to the 5 previous Soulsborne games however, it falls short. My review is for people that loved those games, but haven't picked up Sekiro yet.

The biggest issue? Fromsoft took a cleaver to the amount of content they would usually include in the series. Co-op PvE, PvP, player messaging/bloodstains, character creation, character build customization - all gone.

Nominally it was done in order to create a 'more focused' 'action' game, rather then the 'action RPG' of other Fromsoft titles. The results are not worth the sacrificed elements. The new swordplay system is of course the biggest change, and it's not bad. Certainly faster, louder and more bombastic - but I would hesitate to call it better then the understated, slower, deliberate pace of Dark Souls. It is a nice change of pace in a game that plays quite similarly in other aspects to its fore-bearers.

The new grapple hook and jump mechanic are less of a success. Grapple is limited to very specific locations which are highlighted by a big green circle on the UI. It looks a bit messy, and the circle will frequently not appear when it should do, leaving you unable to grapple. The hook is supposed to open up the game world, but its mostly just smoke and mirrors - there is no more freedom then in previous games, fromsoft have just been a bit cleverer in disguising the boundaries.

The other big addition is the stealth mechanic. It isnt anything special. Imagine whats already in Dark Souls, add a UI meter telling you when an enemy will spot you and thats basically the gist of it. The enemy AI is essentially braindead, so do not expect any cool reactions to your characters sneaky antics like in MGS 5 for example.

So all those elements removed, replaced with a decent combat system and so-so grapple and stealth mechanics. The trade doesn't work, and a lot is cut for little given back.

Sadly these cuts extend to other parts of the game. It feels like the developers were working with a much smaller timeframe or budget then in the past. The size of the game world feels quite small, and you will revisit the Ashina Castle area of the map no less then 4 times over the course of the game. Another early portion of the world, Hirata Estate, gets retread in the late game as well. Much worse is the amount of content recycling when it comes to the enemies. Just about every 'miniboss' and a number of big bosses are reused. One of them no less then 5 times! A few others 3 times, and quite a lot twice. It feels like its all repeated in order to stretch out the play time, which leads into the difficulty.

Yes, Sekiro is a very hard game. Prepare to struggle through many of the minibosses, and really struggle with some of the big bosses (the last two boss encounters are extreme, even if one is optional). Whilst there is nothing wrong with hard games, there needs to be a balancing act between tough but fair and frustrating. For my own tastes, Sekiro really straddles that line, sometimes falling over it. I am a veteran of fromsofts work, I even remember the joy of buying Dark Souls on release day. For someone with less experience then me, the difficulty could be overwhelming. In my opinion the high difficulty level, like the content recycling, is another way fromsoft have tried to lengthen the game. The longer it takes to clear a boss the longer your playing, right? If Sekiro's difficulty level was down on the same level as Souls, it would feel pretty short. Really short if there wasn't so much recycling.

Despite not being up to the standard of previous games Sekiro is still very good - its just not quite up there with its predecessors. Here's hoping the numerous cuts made by the developers are in service of something greater - like programmers and modelers being taken off the project to work on Bloodborne 2.
  33. Mar 25, 2019
    Game is called shadows died twice, I have died at least 400 times by now. Extremely misleading title, but very good game.
  34. Mar 27, 2019
    if you dont have the brain capability to locate your guard button, this game might be very difficult for you.
  35. Mar 25, 2019
    Masterpiece! (From Software) did it again!!! this maybe the closest we will ever get to Tenchu For a While.
  36. Mar 24, 2019
    Total masterpiece. I see people complaining about lack of customization and RPG touch but I didn't miss them. This game doesn't need it and it works very nice. New combat mechanics are fresh and addictive, took me many deaths to get a hang of it but then I enjoyed it very much. Great way to reward more aggressive gamplay style. Visually beautiful.
  37. Mar 24, 2019
    Great game if you go in understanding there is some serious repetition.

Dying, yes; but chances are you'll be running back (and forth) to the "save statue" to rest, rather than dying, because you can rez once before you suffer and penalties. Of course everything respawns so you gotta fight ur way back. The jump+grab ledge function is flighty. I get that they want precision, but it
    Great game if you go in understanding there is some serious repetition.

The jump+grab ledge function is flighty. I get that they want precision, but it really translates in to just not feeling great or natural. Of course after you (irl) start to fatigue after hours of repetition these jumps to ledges start getting even more difficult and add to a mounting frustration level.

Lastly, there are the annotations when you are being attacked. See, the game is dependent on these "worded" ques from semi-bosses. They tell you- when your enemy is about to thrust his weapon at you, or is about to perform a sweeping attack; in which there are very specific ways to counter each move. You get this information in two ways. One, the actual motion of your enemy, who will telegraph his strike type for maybe a second in real time. Which is pretty quick for most of us, considering the "mental stress of battle." The second indicator, is a word, which would be great, except it's in Japanese, and that's a problem if you don't speak Japanese. You may have to memorize the actually move that the blocky red and orange Japanese phrase means. So this weird symbol mean he going to "thrust attack."..etc. This could add hours of repetition if you don't take the time to do so.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it's certainly not for everybody. The repetition is a bit mind melting.
  38. Mar 22, 2019
    as expected sekiro is another great game by fromsoftware which seems they cant make a mistake with their games . The game has some elements which reminds dark souls though with many new ideas overall . I cant say it is better than dark souls or bloodborne though it is almost an entirely different game so no one should compare them directly and it is also a great game in its own unique wayas expected sekiro is another great game by fromsoftware which seems they cant make a mistake with their games . The game has some elements which reminds dark souls though with many new ideas overall . I cant say it is better than dark souls or bloodborne though it is almost an entirely different game so no one should compare them directly and it is also a great game in its own unique way and style . In general it has a pretty enjoyable and complex combat system , it gives you more freedom on how you want to approach with jumping and parkour around and it also offers a way better stealth gameplay than any of the soul games . Of course it has a great design with some amazing graphics combining with an interesting scenario . Overall yet another great game for 2019 and we have not even reach the half of it . Expand
  39. Mar 23, 2019
    Amazing graphics with a good story, and combat with a high skill cap but so satisfying when you for the first time beat a boss without taking damage.
    The only downside to it is also why the game works, there is few controlled rpg elements but this stands so u cant cheese tactics and abuse bosses in an unintended way
  40. Apr 1, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played this game so many hours in the last 3 days and i'm going for my fist review now.

As a Dark Souls and Bloodborne-player I thought: Ok, this one will be though but I already have beaten the other FromSoftware-titles so i will be fine. I was so wrong. This game is so far the most difficult one. At least till now. I needed around 10-15 hours to fully understand everything new in this game. At least I can say after after all the learning (and of course dying) the combat is mostly awesome! Blocking in time with the sword to get through the enemy's defence is so much fun! Sekiro also looks so damn beautiful (at least for me who is interested in Japanese culture and history). Exploring the world is also cool.

The one thing I don't like so far is, you can easily get one or two shot by some enemy's. Don't get me wrong it's ok that they are strong but sometimes you cant block in time after dodging them.

There is another point which give me trouble so far: Dodging unblockable moves. I really love the mechanic. and it works quiet well vs. the "zombie-coach" but in fights against tough enemy's or bosses it's so hard to guess for which move they are going for. The time-gap is so damn little that i get hit by nearly every attack of those.

Hopefully it's just me (and not the game) who needs to improve and get better, that i can give this game 10/10 points.

-Edit-

So far, so good I think i did (and beat) everything possible in this game exept the final endboss (Ishiin).
    I indeed got better in this game after beating the first 2, 3 bosses i also got (at least a bit) better in dodging unblockable moves. I also realized the umbrella-tool helps a lot when it comes to this.
    The fast two-shotting was still a problem for me but i got used to it.
    So these problems got solved, unfortunately other things still bothered me.

The first thing is the enemy-variety. It looks like From Software got really lazy at least when it comes to the minibosses in the game. It is really sad to see some of them multiple times in the game on non-special places... It's ok to face some big Samurais (they may belong to a noble-guard or something) but for the others it's really sad. I only count 2 unique minibosses (O Rin and the armored knight on the bridge).
    Second: The manifestation-enemys (or minibosses if you want). They are by far the worst thing in the whole game. 5 Headless and 3 Shishimen-warriors. NONE of them was not even nearly fun to fight! During the midgame i try to face them sometimes but I got killed instantly. So i faced them in lategame with full attackpower and health and they die very easy with no special tactics just hit them without pause with your "divined-konfetti-katana". I expected more from FromSoftware, than this ****

At last i will come to the main-bosses in game. Also in this category they were a bit lazy. The most of them are really great in design, super-difficult and interesting like it should be. But some of them also got reused later in game like the Monk (for which i was really glad, the true monk was one of the best fights in the game), the headless ape (still creepy but kinda boring to fight in the second time) and also genichiro (which was too predictable).
    Talk about Genichiro, it's really hard to push myself to fight him in the end. Why? Because of 4 damn phases..... I immediately got annoyed after beat Phase one when I saw another 3 Phase-Points. Like I said before it's totally Ok when they are strong but i don't wanna fight one guy for 20 minutes! I'm a patiently person but also my patience is limited. I prefer one or two healthbars with a difficult moveset over this guy.

So sadly I can't get higher than 8 points but let me tell you it was a really great and fun experience so far which is totally worth playing. But compared to Dark Souls it has not that high replay-potential i think.
  41. Mar 22, 2019
    jogabilidade excelente e fluida, from software acertou novamente
    Só a parte gráfica que não esta tão forte, mas não atrapalha em anda a gameplay
  42. Apr 3, 2019
    Brilliant game, nothing shorter than of what you come to expect of a From Software title these days. The biggest criticism I find of this game from players is when they compare it with the dark souls games, or bloodborne for that matter. Thing is, this is not a bloodborne nor a dark souls, and the game is very well aware of what it is and what it's not. It is a game made by the sameBrilliant game, nothing shorter than of what you come to expect of a From Software title these days. The biggest criticism I find of this game from players is when they compare it with the dark souls games, or bloodborne for that matter. Thing is, this is not a bloodborne nor a dark souls, and the game is very well aware of what it is and what it's not. It is a game made by the same studio, applying many of the soulsborne mechanics but also introducing new ones. A lot of criticism is about the game only providing you with one way of playing it, which is partially true and partially not. Compared to dark souls it is definitely true, but that is not really a big flaw, most games does that. People who went into this game expecting a new dark souls-experience might be disappointed, but you must learn that if you want to jump into something to get your expectations met, buy the latest assassins creed or some other AAA mainstream title. If you want something fresh, innovative and exciting buy Sekiro, Jumping into this game with an open mind, and big scoop of determination you will likely have one of the best gaming experiences for years. Sekiro is one of those rare games that will consume you even when you're not playing it. You will find yourself contemplating on what path you should be investigating, what technique to use on the boss you're stuck at, what things you might have missed in your play through so far, and what secrets lying in store. Expand
  43. Apr 17, 2019
    This game is just as difficult as the dark souls games but it doesn't have the crutches. There are no cheap or OP weapons because the game has been balanced around only one. There is no summoning, so YOU have to be good enough to beat the bosses, not someone else. Leveling is dependent on game advancement, so there is no farming to over level and make the game easier.

This game takes

This game takes my favorite thing from DS - difficult bosses/gameplay to conquer giving huge accomplishment - and gets rid of all the extras. Instead of swapping in gear to help against fire like in Dark Souls, I'm spending all of my time thinking of new, improved, or perfected strategies. In DS the boss strategy often came down to just hanging back, learning attack patterns, now dodge and pick away. In Sekiro sometimes you have to be on the defensive, sometimes you have to be full offense, and everything in between. Super satisfying and HARD.
    9 for now, I expect a 10 when I'm done.

Update: Instant classic, easy 10. The game is even harder than I thought it was halfway through. Even after beating everything else the final boss feels like an insane difficulty spike. This game is not for everyone, but if you're up to the challenge I can't recommend it enough.
  44. Mar 26, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At first glance the gameplay may seem extremely basic, just one attack button and one guard button after all. But the amount of timing, prediction, and skill needed to succeed in battles is so much more in depth. You can't just learn boss patterns like in Dark Souls, because timing is so much more necessary.

Those that continue to try and think of this game as Dark Souls are guaranteed to fail, because this is nothing like dark souls and there is no reason why it should be. Whats the harm in FromSoftware branching out and succeeding so wonderfully after all?

If there is any issue I ever have with the game, it stems from momentary frustration due to my own ineptitude, and is easily remedied by me thinking back on my mistakes. Once I realize what I did wrong it is easy to remedy and try something different. Bosses like Genichiro or Lady Butterfly can't be fought defensively, meanwhile bosses like Guardian Ape or Corrupted Monk can't be completely offensively. Yes, both need offense and defense in specific balance, but it becomes easy to tell simply by how the enemy moves and attacks.

Simply put, I fail to find much fault in this game overall, it simply accommodates with so much of my preferences in games. It's skill based and fair, but punishing if you get even slightly too cocky. The bosses all have simple ways to win, but it takes a while to figure it out if you aren't paying attention. And the story, oh god the story and characters are just fantastic-.

Now, I'm very nearly finished with the game (At the Isshin fight going for the Severing of Immortality ending.) So it isn't like i'm completely talking hot air.
  45. Mar 22, 2019
    Bel gioco, grafica discreta e difficile all'ennesima potenza.
    Resta che ti tiene attaccato allo schermo per il forte senso di competizione che si instaura. Inoltre i combattimenti sono difficili, ma mai punitivi con l'impegno superi sempre il boss o miniboss di turno. Da comprare al day one!!!
  46. Mar 22, 2019
    Don't listen to people comparing this to Nioh because they're nowhere identical. Sekiro is extremely technical game that emphasizes raw skill with some light RPG mechanics. I applaud From Software doing something entirely different and being successful at it. You will think the introduction of the resurrection mechanic will make the game "easier" compared to previous titles, but if youDon't listen to people comparing this to Nioh because they're nowhere identical. Sekiro is extremely technical game that emphasizes raw skill with some light RPG mechanics. I applaud From Software doing something entirely different and being successful at it. You will think the introduction of the resurrection mechanic will make the game "easier" compared to previous titles, but if you aren't at the top of your game, than you'll easily find yourself beaten down by a simple thief. If you are looking for an action game that really tests raw skill to something that a game like DMC focuses on, than Sekiro will be your game. The lore is rich enough to keep you engaged, but far less cryptic than the Dark Souls games meaning you don't have to watch a gauntlet of youtube videos to really know what's going on.
    World design is really neat offering higher vantage points to really plan your routes offering a little more flexibility in how you engage enemies compared to past titles.

Yea the graphics aren't exactly amazing, but honestly who really cares if the gameplay is good. Occasionally frame rate drops, but nothing major and something can be resolved easily with a patch. The addition of the mechanical arm is a nice introduction as it functions similarly to the trick weapons of bloodborne but has very specific uses and can be upgraded to increase its utility. You won't be disappointed with this title and anyone who gives it below an 8 because of graphics and frame-rate is just ridiculous.
  47. Mar 26, 2019
    Amazing game, it's not Dark Souls, it's not Bloodborne, this is Sekiro. It has a lot of the DNA of Souls games, but it is a different game for sure. It's difficult, but it's not unbeatable, just don't give up and leave a salty review on metacritic, just because you are bad. The negative reviews are a joke, especially the one claiming it's ripping off Nioh.....Guess they never knew thatAmazing game, it's not Dark Souls, it's not Bloodborne, this is Sekiro. It has a lot of the DNA of Souls games, but it is a different game for sure. It's difficult, but it's not unbeatable, just don't give up and leave a salty review on metacritic, just because you are bad. The negative reviews are a joke, especially the one claiming it's ripping off Nioh.....Guess they never knew that Nioh came after the Soulsborne games, or that Tenchu was a From Soft title, and this game is 100% From Soft, not Nioh at all...

Whatever, point is, the game is fantastic, could easily be game of the year so far, but I doubt it will get the media appreciation it deserves. Great game, runs fantastic on PC (no ultrawide support and locked to 60fps, so I docked 1 point), other than that I get steady 60 fps at 1080p, and 1440p on a gtx 1070 and a 6600k. Beautiful, amazing level design, very fun, and challenging boss battles, with normal mobs that let you feel like a bad ass again after getting beat down by a boss for a few hours. Highly recommended, and to the idiot saying it's "QTE" combat..... I'm really not sure what game he's playing, you can break an enemys posture and do a death blow, but it's not straight forward to get to that point, Soulsborne games always had a finishing move after parries, or backstabs....this is the exact same thing, and nobody claimed those were QTE's, and just like in those games, you need to either parry, more than once on later mobs, to even get the deathblow, so it's not like you're just pressing A to one shot everyone.

Metacritic should really prune the reviews that exist just to trash a game, without a basic understanding of it. There's just no way anyone in their right mind could rate this lower than a 6, even if they couldn't get passed the first boss, you will still experience enough of the game to appreciate what is being done here, and that it was your own ineptitude that kept you from proceeding.
  48. Mar 24, 2019
    -great world/level design and enemy placement, this is incredibly important in a game where you die a lot
    -cleverly placed items that encourage you to explore or lead you into traps
    -grounded combat (as opposed to hack n slash games like dmc) with similiar, simple inputs like the Souls/borne games, but with new options and more fancy looking abilities and animations -challenging and
    -cleverly placed items that encourage you to explore or lead you into traps
    -challenging and fair difficulty paired with the "face to face" combat makes beating (mini)bosses really satisfying
    -beautiful art design that overshadows the underwhelming graphics
    -and most importantly, the shinobi prosthetic is awesome

From Software did it again.
  49. Mar 26, 2019
    I took 3 days off to play this game and man I wish I took a whole week. Sekiro is amazing and I’m so happy! Thank you From Software.
  50. Mar 26, 2019
    Sekiro is fantastic. It feels familiar to souls fans but it also manages to feel completely different. It has its own lore that is actually easier to understand than the souls games because there are many avenues to actually get some lore. The main bosses are all unique and offer many phases. The bosses will kill you a lot but like any good souls game from the past, conquering that bossSekiro is fantastic. It feels familiar to souls fans but it also manages to feel completely different. It has its own lore that is actually easier to understand than the souls games because there are many avenues to actually get some lore. The main bosses are all unique and offer many phases. The bosses will kill you a lot but like any good souls game from the past, conquering that boss that has killed you for hours will feel amazing and will give you a rush that simply cannot be felt from many other games. Where Sekiro falls a little short for me is with its prosthetic tools. A lot of them are far too situational and some are just not really worth using as it may get you hit if you try to use one and when you get hit you lose a lot of hp in this game. Overall the game is fantastic and worth picking up. There are 4 different endings and a new game plus to keep people playing even after the credits roll. Expand
  51. Mar 25, 2019
    I am terrible at this game. I have played probably 4 hours. I have died almost a hundred times. But it's beautiful, holds me accountable, and I love it. This is my first From Software game, and I went in with the expectation that I would die a million times and might need to restart the game because of how terrible I would be at it. I think if you go in with that mindset, you'll becomeI am terrible at this game. I have played probably 4 hours. I have died almost a hundred times. But it's beautiful, holds me accountable, and I love it. This is my first From Software game, and I went in with the expectation that I would die a million times and might need to restart the game because of how terrible I would be at it. I think if you go in with that mindset, you'll become addicted to the exacting and exciting gameplay and alluring world. Wish me luck. Any advice on how to be better at this would be appreciated it. Gave a 9 cuz it's too hard, but it also gets a 9 cuz it's so hard. Expand
  52. Mar 22, 2019
    I love it. Finally is the first title from software that I am able to play . The combat system is awesome, with bloodborne I could play , too slow to attack, this one is faster and really reflex skill based , obviously technically is not the best as FS always been. But the gameplay is just nice.
  53. Mar 23, 2019
    Ok so first off I don't like Dark Souls or Bloodborne. I like them from the outside (as in I think they look like great games in terms of environments, bosses etc.) but when I gave them a go I hated the repetitive corpse runs, rarity of checkpoints and lack of story focus. I know hardcore fans love all that but it felt tedious to me and I was always disappointed that I couldn't get intoOk so first off I don't like Dark Souls or Bloodborne. I like them from the outside (as in I think they look like great games in terms of environments, bosses etc.) but when I gave them a go I hated the repetitive corpse runs, rarity of checkpoints and lack of story focus. I know hardcore fans love all that but it felt tedious to me and I was always disappointed that I couldn't get into them (I got as far as Father Gascoine in BB).

Despite all that I still pre-ordered Sekiro because it looked amazing when watching the trailers and gameplay videos. I'm happy to say that I have finally found a From Soft game that I can actually enjoy. This game is hard AF but it's so good and when you die it doesn't feel unfair or cheap. The combat is fast and fluid and the movement feels unrestricted and free (can actually jump and climb!). The skills tree is way better than having a list of stats as well, and after each boss you get a prayer bead, once you get 4 you can unlock a health & posture boost. This takes away the grinding element as you can't just grind to improve health or posture before a boss. This probably makes it harder in some ways but I prefer it.

The story is also a lot clearer (although you still have to piece things together) and a proper protagonist is much better IMO as it gives some purpose to what you are doing. I haven't completed it yet I've just got past the poisonous drunkard boss from the trailer but so far I'm loving it.

If you like action adventure games then you will definitely love this as it's incredible. Even if you don't like soulsborne games give this one a try as it's a lot more accessible than previous titles. The combat and general movement are more fluid, the checkpoints are spread out more sensibly, and there is much more overall polish in terms of final product.
  54. Mar 24, 2019
    I had to come to grips with the lack of RPG mechanics, but I think From have created a masterpiece. The game being based on a specific character / weapon allowed them to make something incredibly focused while retaining signature From oddness, ambiguity, and intricate world design.

People saying the combat is just about parrying now have not mastered the combat. In practice, deflection works pretty differently than parrying in Dark Souls. There's so much more nuance to the combat now, from crowd control options, when to jump, dodge, block or deflect, move interruptions, combat arts, combos with prosthetic attachments good against certain enemies, etc. The posture system alone makes it completely different than Dark Souls. You can not play it like those games even if it seems like you can get away with it. If you're playing well you will be aggressive, attacking often and performing very deliberate moves against specific enemies.

Once the combat clicked I was amazed at how fluid and fun it can be, and that a lot of tough enemies can be taken down pretty quickly if you play well. One thing it does have in common with Souls is that the longer a boss stays alive, the harder it is to deal with. And like Dark Souls it's a difficult game because it wants you to learn how to play it right, and execution in Sekiro is even more challenging, and even more satisfying than From's other games.
  55. Mar 23, 2019
    After the SoulsBorne series it was apparent that Sekiro would deliver a quite different experience. Although some features are pretty similar such as the estus flasks for healing. Besides that the new fighting system is quite interesting but to me personally disappointing. It does not feel very appealing sometimes even more mashy although the 60fps combat itself is amazingly fluent.

I

I encountered some frame drops but as it was always on the same screen positions I think it is just a minor optimization problem because besides that the game runs smooth. The graphic is at times beautiful and sometimes a bit disappointing. It lacks details of other current gen titles of that caliber which is not that bad but I feel it still has to be noted because it is noticeable. The soundtrack is good but does not get me driven as other titles aswell. Yet it blends in well with the general theme. The loading times are okay. Strangely they seemed to get better after I was playing for a while, maybe I just got used to it. It is not as bad as Bloodborne was but still there are noticeably loading times when using the fast travel. Besides that the interconnected world has no loading sequences which is nice.

The enemies are okay-ish. I cannot pinpoint describe what is lacking but they do not feel as detailed and charming as other games that FromSoftware delivered. The variety is also a little bit weak. Main and sub bosses are again a hard competition but the posture system feels weird at times when facing them. Also sometimes it feels more like defendin for huge time while dealing 1-2 slashes and wait again. This of course might be intended but to me feels less entertaining.

I want to re-visit this review after more play-time as games such as DS or Bloodborne also took some time to get going but the first impression is, that the game was pretty hyped, delivered well but it is certainly not the awaited next prodigy from FromSoftware. Thats at least my personal opinion.

Interested people should wait for a price drop. I do not see the launce price tag fitting, yet.
  56. Apr 6, 2019
    If the game is hard, git gud. Stop crying about it in your review that you gave a zero because, once again, you should probably just git gud. Do people really complain about how many GB's the game file is....c'mon dude git gud. Are people ACTUALLY saying this game ripped off Nioh??? Nioh OBVIOUSLY copied FromSoftware's games that's why it was a good game, so get it straight, oh and gitIf the game is hard, git gud. Stop crying about it in your review that you gave a zero because, once again, you should probably just git gud. Do people really complain about how many GB's the game file is....c'mon dude git gud. Are people ACTUALLY saying this game ripped off Nioh??? Nioh OBVIOUSLY copied FromSoftware's games that's why it was a good game, so get it straight, oh and git gud. In closing, stop crying, git gud and have a lovely day.
    P.S. Slant Magazine is absolut trash. Their game reviews are click-bait and their reviewers need to git gud.
    P.S.S. To all the "soulbourne veterans" who had the audacity to complain about difficulty in a FromSoftware game, you frauds need to go down to the store and pick up a big bottle of maximum strength GitGud.
  57. Mar 23, 2019
    Great game! I had high expectation and am not disappointed. Maybe I'll love it more than RE2. Too early to say. But it's definitely worth it.
  58. Mar 22, 2019
    A really great game that starts to expand what the soulsborne franchise made, and creates something new altogether
  59. Mar 23, 2019
    Miyazaki did it again.

Froms come back wit a new ip setting in an amazing Mystical Japan. The game is hard but very satisfying, Art and map design are very inspired, but the very core of this game is the amazing gameplay. From improve the sword combat of the old souls, with some good stealth mechanics and cool finisher moves. So far a truly masterpiece...maybe not for everyone.
  60. Mar 22, 2019
    Mil vezes melhor que o repetitivo Nioh..

Quem jogou Tenchu? Esse jogo é um Tenchu + DarkBorne

SENSACIONAL!!!
  61. Mar 22, 2019
    A better game than expected.
    The From software succeeded the gameplay of the Soul series and Blood Borne, but made a nice IP game with a new attempt. The manipulation of the battle unmistakably provides the thrill and thrill that has never been seen before.
  62. Mar 22, 2019
    From software has done it again
    Sekiro shadows die twice isn't just brutally difficult, its brutally amazing
    Everything about this game oozes quality and finesse. This is a game crafted with love and care and I can't recommend it enough. Even if you don't like the souls games, i still absolutely recommend it. Its gameplay is drastically different from souls or bloodborne and thats
    From software has done it again
    Sekiro shadows die twice isn't just brutally difficult, its brutally amazing
    Everything about this game oozes quality and finesse.
    This is a game crafted with love and care and I can't recommend it enough.
    Even if you don't like the souls games, i still absolutely recommend it.
    Its gameplay is drastically different from souls or bloodborne and thats what makes it awesome
  63. Mar 22, 2019
    One of the Best game this year! If you like Tenchu and Dark souls this is a perfect game for you!! Punishing gameplay as expected from Fromsoft. Definitely not for casual gamers out there.
  64. Mar 22, 2019
    Great game, combat is fluent, the difficulty is there, its a nice tenchu souls blend of a game im too lazy to write a whole review so there thats all you get
  65. Mar 22, 2019
    Sekiro is a great game with great graphics, they are the best this generation of consoles has seen, but it still is a sight to behold. The game play is top-notch, as expected from From Software, and the implication of the grapple in the wide world is amazing. The combat is also another splendid feature that shows this is a From Software game. I highly recommend playing this game.
  66. Mar 23, 2019
    For an old school Tenchu fan like me, this is the game I was waiting for.
    For veteran SoulsBorn fans, it might take time to learn the new combat system, but once you master it, you will feel like a god.
    For an old school Tenchu fan like me, this is the game I was waiting for.
    You can pause, you can swim, you can jump, and while you have more freedom of exploration and movement than ever, the combat's steep learning curve can really punish you early in the game.- The progression is cruel, but fair and extremely satisfying. It is admittedly a hard game, but if you stick with it, you will love it.
  67. Mar 25, 2019
    My first impression of this game was a bit "meh." I'm a soulsborne vet and I love things about those games that were clearly not a part of Sekiro (obscure story, collecting armor, lack of explanation about anything, creepy vibe).

However, after giving it five hours, I am convinced this game is yet another masterpiece of From's. Is it my favorite of theirs? No, it's going to take a lot to beat BB and DS, but it belongs and I know I'll be playing this one through many times.

If you're on the fence, take it from me and from other reviewers: you need to give it several hours before it "clicks." Get past some of the mini bosses, and the first main boss Gyoubu. Look up tips on how to beat him if necessary because it'll inform how to beat other bosses.

I'm an explorer and love finding secrets. Trust me, there are tons of those as you progress and you're rewarded for going off the beaten path.

Enjoy, use the wiki/youtube if you need, and give it a solid chance before giving up!
  68. Mar 23, 2019
    Just like bloodborne, this game is another From Software masterpiece! I wish all games could be this polished and be created with this level of passion!
  69. Mar 23, 2019
    Just awesome.
    I love Souls series. But this is something else.
    When Dark SOuls meets Tenchu & Ninja Gaiden.
    Incredible level design.

No more words. Just play this game.
  70. Mar 22, 2019
    Aquela sensação de medo e de não saber o que te aguarda que a fromsoftware faz com maestria, simplesmente incrível, cada cenário cada inimigo tudo jogão
  71. Mar 24, 2019
    Literally pay no real attention to 70% of the negative reviews. Sekiro is on a class all on it's own and From Software has said countless times that it was targeting pure action, rather than anything you would consider "deep" like countless RPG elements. Sekiro is an Action-RPG and that last part is because of the utility offered by items, prosthetic tools earned throughout the game (whichLiterally pay no real attention to 70% of the negative reviews. Sekiro is on a class all on it's own and From Software has said countless times that it was targeting pure action, rather than anything you would consider "deep" like countless RPG elements. Sekiro is an Action-RPG and that last part is because of the utility offered by items, prosthetic tools earned throughout the game (which are essentially like spells or weapon morphs in Bloodborne), and other stat related enhancements and even deadly. Sekiro is not Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, SoulsBorne, wtf-etc! It's masterclass enemy design, animations, stealth, action mechanics, unique NPC quests, and it's "lovely" killer roosters :) not to mention some of the best fuc*** boss battles I've played in a video game! If you don't like sekiro, sekiro doesn't care... you already 死 Expand
  72. Mar 25, 2019
    This game is NOT for the filthy casuals (APEX, Madden, Fortnite, NBA2K) and the salty complainers about the game's difficulty.. or Please stop writing negative reviews since you are NOT qualified to play this game. This game separates the men from the boys.. The Dark Souls & Bloodborne fans assume this will be similar, but has a rude awakening - ITS NOT! This is a game that requiresThis game is NOT for the filthy casuals (APEX, Madden, Fortnite, NBA2K) and the salty complainers about the game's difficulty.. or Please stop writing negative reviews since you are NOT qualified to play this game. This game separates the men from the boys.. The Dark Souls & Bloodborne fans assume this will be similar, but has a rude awakening - ITS NOT! This is a game that requires a lot of concentration, patience and perseverance. If you don't have the patience to die 100X to learn how to defeat some of the toughest bosses then this game is NOT for you.. This game is designed specifically for intelligent gamers that have refined tastes.

I have put in about 15hrs+ and so far I would give this 9.5 overall. It's an absolute fantastic game! The story is absolutely memorizing and the battles are intense.. You have to be patient, smart, and just plain "git gud". The graphics people complaining about seems pretty pathetic.. The GRAPHICS ARE GREAT! I would give it a 9/10.. Is it God of War graphics good no, but its not freaken PS2 or PS3 quality.

The music and the ambient effects are great! I love the boss battles so far and the learning how to combo and parry in this game.

Gameplay - in absolute 10 -

Overall - This is just a masterpiece. Absolute enthralling battle and action sequences. The story is very interesting and its for true gamers are willing to accept the toughest boss and game challenges. For the casuals and madden/nba2k gamers stay away.. This game was not designed for low IQ.
  73. Mar 22, 2019
    Sekiro Fantastic!!!!
    Following Bloodbone, created a masterpiece.
    But the difficulty is really difficult.
    FromSoftware g.o.d!
  74. Mar 22, 2019
    I'm absolutely amazed by how different this is compared to other FromSoftware games!
    Fantastic combat with a great design and thrilling boss fights
    Hands down, worth a shot ;)
  75. Mar 22, 2019
    Отличная игра с отличной боевкой, разрабам удалось переместить все самое лучшее из серии Souls и сделать это еще лучше, отличная графика а анимация всего, что только можно перечислить, настоятельно советую играть с Японской озвучкой.
    И если не сможете убить первого босса с первой попытки, пожалуйста не ломайте
    монитор, ему тоже больно(
    И если не сможете убить первого босса с первой попытки, пожалуйста не ломайте
    монитор, ему тоже больно(
  76. Mar 22, 2019
    diferente a la saga souls pero su escencia esta ahi, juegazo por donde se mire...
  77. Mar 24, 2019
    Strong GOTY contender.
    I highly recommend it to everyone that is looking for a challenging but rewarding experience.
    Strong GOTY contender.
    The combat is great and never gets old, the music is original and adds more atmosphere to it's impressive areas, the bosses are unique and some of the best I've ever seen in any From Software game and the addition of mini bosses lets you practice and test your combat skills.
    The game may be challenging at first but mastering it's mechanics is incredibly rewarding gameplay wise.
    And for people that might think Sekiro is just a soulsborne game they're totally wrong. It does have some similarities but it has it's own identity, combat and way of telling it's story.
  78. Mar 24, 2019
    Instant game of the year contender. From Software's Sekiro shows why it was going to be a Tenchu game. It's lineage is undeniable but this is the most hardcore Tenchu game you've ever played. It's without a doubt easier and harder than their previous souls series. The general enemies are easier then they have ever been because you can stealth kill everybody in the level if you soInstant game of the year contender. From Software's Sekiro shows why it was going to be a Tenchu game. It's lineage is undeniable but this is the most hardcore Tenchu game you've ever played. It's without a doubt easier and harder than their previous souls series. The general enemies are easier then they have ever been because you can stealth kill everybody in the level if you so choose. But then the mini bosses and actual bosses come along...

They aren't the most difficult bosses but they are very challenging and there are very few options to power up and brute force your way through a boss. You can farm xp and money to buy new skills and other things but you can't raise your base stats. If you aren't sure of yourself or willing to improve you could hit a brick wall after a few hours and give up.

If you can make it past the first mini boss and main boss then you are set. When going through the game the path you are on may not be the lowest level/easiest way and there is no way to tell so if you get stuck just try a different path in the world. This will help you gradually improve your character as you find beads in chests, from vendors, or from any mini bosses you manage to kill.
    These gives you extra HP and stamina to block with. If you manage to kill any main boss you get a permanent damage boost. You may also stumble across the more than a dozen weapons you can equip on your shinobi arm. Find one that really makes you more comfortable when you play is a huge benefit.

Combat is very responsive and nearly all the problems like phantom hits, delayed actions after button presses, and unresponsive controls from the souls series have been fixed. On my 1080ti at 4k I get a solid 60fps on a mixture of High and Highest settings so the game runs well also much better than previous From games.

Try not to get too angry when you sit back and enjoy ancient castles, bamboo forests, acid swamps, mountain side temples, forsaken villages, and more in this gorgeous modern Tenchu game. #gameoftheyear maybe
  79. Mar 24, 2019
    This game is fantastic, taking the genre up a notch! If you do not like difficult single player games, do NOT play this. And please do NOT give it a rating, wouldn't be very fair to this gem. This game is absolutely kicking my butt right now, but I'm loving ever second of it. It's like Ninja Gaiden/Shinobi and the Soulsborne series studied real sword fighting and then had a baby and taughtThis game is fantastic, taking the genre up a notch! If you do not like difficult single player games, do NOT play this. And please do NOT give it a rating, wouldn't be very fair to this gem. This game is absolutely kicking my butt right now, but I'm loving ever second of it. It's like Ninja Gaiden/Shinobi and the Soulsborne series studied real sword fighting and then had a baby and taught it everything! Great and rewarding experience. This will test your gaming mettle, so be prepared and know what you are in for! Expand
  80. Mar 22, 2019
    I'm not far into the game, but so far I'm find it extremely enjoyable. The controls felt a bit uncomfortable at first, but Sekiro allows the player to customize the button mapping almost any way they want. The story so far is engaging and has me on the edge of my seat to see what happens next the gameplay is perfect especially for those that enjoy styles similar to this. the combat is veryI'm not far into the game, but so far I'm find it extremely enjoyable. The controls felt a bit uncomfortable at first, but Sekiro allows the player to customize the button mapping almost any way they want. The story so far is engaging and has me on the edge of my seat to see what happens next the gameplay is perfect especially for those that enjoy styles similar to this. the combat is very fluid and there's even a shinobi who lets you practice techniques on/with him so if you're struggling with combos, defense or whatever. you can "git gud." on the Ps4pro graphics and sound are stellar in my opinion. finally I only took one point away because of the initial control frustration Expand
  81. Mar 23, 2019
    If you love soulsborne series you’re going to love sekiro shadow die twice....with mor engaging combat than previous miyazaki games,satisfying stealth mechanics,spectacular bossesand easier story telling methods this game take the formula to another level !
  82. Mar 23, 2019
    Say what you will about Sekiro: Shadows die twice. The game can be summed up in two words: Unapologetically difficult. A fantastic romp through 1500's japan, this work of fiction is a fantastic entry in the gaming zeitgeist and a worthy successor to dark souls.
  83. Mar 23, 2019
    Sekiro is a fun challenge with fast paced combat and From Software's usual grittiness.
  84. Apr 25, 2019
    My review contains some kind of spoilers...

Game is actually good. But it has few serious problems, it is reason why my personal score is not 10/10. Actually I voted as "5/10" before but I've changed my opinion. Game is good especially after some point. So: + gameplay. When you understand how to play in right way you will love fight system and gameplay. + atmosphere. I don't know
    My review contains some kind of spoilers...

So:
    + atmosphere. I don't know to describe it, but I love this world. I want to return to this world again and again.
    + Bosses. Not mini-bosses. Almost all "big bosses" are good. I've got too much fun from fighting with them.

- Boring game beginning.
    - Chained ogre from game beginning is too powerful and HAS TERRIBLE hitboxes. I just spent too much time here. Hard bosses is not bad but I'm not sure that add such bosses in beginning of game is good idea. 90% of players don't have understanding of gameplay when they meet him. And bosses have to have non-broken hiboxes
    - Areas after Blazing bull: AshinaReservoir and Ashina Castle are terrible. They have terrible mini-bosses, boss-fight arenas, pathes to mini-bosses. I wanted to delete game when I was there. Small room as boss-fight arena in game with terrible camera... Are you serious? Developers know that camera in soulsborne games are not really good. I;m sure they know but they use small room as boos-fight arena!
    - Fight system. Not the combat system itself because it is good but fact that you have no choice. You cannot be a cliric, a mage, an archer. You have only one weapon. There are no Threaded Cane, Rakuyo or Saw Cleaver. It's so annoying
    - repeating of bosses/min-bosess. Some mini-bosses are repeated 4-5 times!!! if you thought that Dark Souls 2 has a problems with bosses repeating I can say - no. DS2 has unique bosses if we compare it with Sekiro!
    - There are too few interesting items which you can find in the wold. Game has no weapons, rings(runes), armors. 90% of items which you can find in game are consumable items.
    - Boring way to Platinum achievement.

But after 2 walkthroughs I can say that game is really good. I hope that the developers will make work on the mistakes and we get 10/10 Bloodborne 2 or Sekiro 2. But now only 8/10
  85. Mar 24, 2019
    Sekiro is not for everyone, but what game is? This is the perfect game for the perfect audience. Bloodborne was my favorite game of all time in terms of gameplay and Sekiro is fighting for that position, as well as giving me a compeling story in a world that is absolutly mesmerizing and inspiring. Sekiro is gameplay porn. 10/10.
  86. Mar 23, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Мне игра очень понравилась. Сетинг Японии довольно редкий. Даю игре 10 из 10. Expand
  87. Mar 23, 2019
    Sekiro ha dado la vuelta a la tortilla , innovando algo que parecía imposible ya. Después de jugar a toda la saga souls y a bloodborn no esperaba algo grandioso. Aquí premian mucho más la habilidad del usuario en el juego (eliminando el chinofarmeo de xp para mejorar tus atributos de los souls) e incita al mismo a seguir intentando si muere, puesto que no podrá mejorar a su personaje y enSekiro ha dado la vuelta a la tortilla , innovando algo que parecía imposible ya. Después de jugar a toda la saga souls y a bloodborn no esperaba algo grandioso. Aquí premian mucho más la habilidad del usuario en el juego (eliminando el chinofarmeo de xp para mejorar tus atributos de los souls) e incita al mismo a seguir intentando si muere, puesto que no podrá mejorar a su personaje y en muchos casos avanzar.
    En definitiva, uno de mis juegos favoritos de 2019, superando incluso a los souls
  88. Mar 25, 2019
    First off, and this is important, this is NOT a souls game.

If you are looking for the kind of depth and customization you would find in Souls and Bloodborne, you’re on the wrong track. You’re going to end up with a souls-lite experience. Now. Let’s judge it for what it is: Sekiro is a brilliantly crafted, brutally challenging, utterly enthralling ACTION game with some
    First off, and this is important, this is NOT a souls game.

Now. Let’s judge it for what it is:

Sekiro is a brilliantly crafted, brutally challenging, utterly enthralling ACTION game with some ‘souls-like’ elements.

Leveling up isn’t the focus here. Instead, the real skill is put on the player in a way I haven’t experienced in a video game for quite some time. Becoming a master of your simple skill set is such a rewarding journey, I am stunned at how meticulously crafted it is. Every experience teaches you and gradually hones your skill. None of the game can be surpassed through over-grinding or leveling up some magical weapon you saved up for. You need to listen to the NPCs, you need to grow with the game, you need to practice your actual gaming skill. As a result, the entire experience is one of the most rewarding I have ever felt playing a game. When it clicks it feels so so good. You feel like a superhero.

The visuals are some of the strongest I’ve seen from From Software and the world is gorgeous. The entire aesthetic of the game is slick and elegant. The story is really fantastic as well. I was impressed with how deep it was, given how few RPG elements there were.

Overall, this is already my game of the year. It will take a great deal to knock it off it’s throne. I have played all souls games, but I am by no means a From Software junkie or die hard fan. I expected an interesting experience with Sekiro, but I never imagined how swept away I would be.
  89. Mar 23, 2019
    This game gave me the most best time on the first 10 min. Never was a Game so easy to pick up. Not because its easy. The game is more challenging than the souls series. At lest for me. No. The game is easy to pick up is because its so much fun. 10/10 for the combat alone
  90. Mar 24, 2019
    Playing this on PC. The controls are tight and responsive that leads to a difficult but fair and very satisfying gameplay experience. Its extremely atmospheric, it always has a surprise up its sleeve and it actually has a story and an antagonist. Its simply a terrific game, much less iterative than the previous efforts From Software has published before. I feel their work has finallyPlaying this on PC. The controls are tight and responsive that leads to a difficult but fair and very satisfying gameplay experience. Its extremely atmospheric, it always has a surprise up its sleeve and it actually has a story and an antagonist. Its simply a terrific game, much less iterative than the previous efforts From Software has published before. I feel their work has finally reached a point of polish that deserves wide spread appeal and recognition. Expand
  91. Mar 26, 2019
    As a longtime souls fan, I was hyped for this game but did not expect to be so blown away. The combat is absolutely genius and fair. The music score is absolutely beautiful and tense. The level design is perfect and really might be best in the series. Can't recommend this enough.
  92. Mar 28, 2019
    STICK WITH IT. It's not a Souls game but it is made with the same level of dedication. It's only "hard" because you have to educate yourself and learn how to play it. That takes time. Whatever you do, don't give up on it. I broke through the frustration wall and now I'm absolutely loving it. The game mechanics seem confusing at first but you get muscle memory after a while and then itSTICK WITH IT. It's not a Souls game but it is made with the same level of dedication. It's only "hard" because you have to educate yourself and learn how to play it. That takes time. Whatever you do, don't give up on it. I broke through the frustration wall and now I'm absolutely loving it. The game mechanics seem confusing at first but you get muscle memory after a while and then it turns into a total blast. Again, keep going! Expand
  93. Mar 25, 2019
    so far amazing, about 8 hours in, a mixture of different games in one, but holds a unique feel and is hard but rewarding just like others from software games. graphics are breathtaking but the gameplay is where its at , a learning curve required but if you go in thinking its not souls youll be fine.
    Amazing
  94. Mar 24, 2019
    absolute frikin masterpiece what a game wow. mechanics are solid and the atmosphere is unlike any game i've played in a long time.
  95. Mar 24, 2019
    Fantastic, spectacular, amazing, difficult, crisp, fresh, electrifying, superb!

Fantastic, spectacular, amazing, difficult, crisp, fresh, electrifying, superb!

The game is everything I hoped it will be, but above all, it bring a fresh, demanding combat system for anyone who wants to push their limits and be challenged! No longer you can fall back to always safe methods like spamming rolls, or cower behind the shield. In the spirit of samurai classics like Go Rin No Sho or Hagakure, Sekiro wants you to face the danger head on - unflinching, with straight body and alert mind, depending on your well honed defensive reflexes to push on attack until you break the enemy's posture and score a deathblow, brushing aside attacks and tricks of your foes as you go. The feeling of accomplishment after defeating a boss in this game is unrivaled.

Compared to tired, formulaic "triple A" games-as-service like Anthem or Assassin's Creed that offer only ego pampering and boring routine sprinkled with a few trinkets from lootboxes, Sekiro does not want to scam you for extra money with lootbox lottery, does not want to hook you up for boredom shifts that resemble work, no, Sekiro is a honest, purely single player game cooked with raw difficulty, solid, well thought design and thick, immersive atmosphere we know from the Souls games.

Congrats, From Software, you have conquered the gaming world again!
  96. Mar 24, 2019
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an action game that strong mix-up of Tenchu and Nioh.
    The plot takes place of the fantastic sengoku era of Japan. Controlling a sole protagonist one-armed ninja who fight against demons and their minions. The main character “Okami” will be facing with numerous strong enemies, such as: giant snake, golem-like undead samurai warriors, ogres, kunoichis and lots of inhuman beings throughout the game.

Comparing to Dark Souls series, Sekiro is a quite different game. You can either finish off your opponents by full stealth technique or one vs all melee combat style. You can sneak on the ledges, roofs, hills or hiding in the bushes, inside of the walls (just like Tenchu series). Our main character can learn new techniques and collect many new items, power-ups in addition to to his sub-weapons. The combat is heavily based on “sword on sword” gameplay. You can also use your “grappling hook” a lot along with the other gears you have. Unlike the Souls series, you have to be capable with one single character and his skills. Battle and dodge system is perfect despite some difficulties you have to struggle with, at the beginning.

I can clearly say that boss battles so tough yet super fascinating (sometimes frustrating). So therefore, game gives you a ressurrection option whenever you beaten up. Not to mention this is a fast paced game.

There are some similarity between the Souls game and Sekiro since it’s the spiritual successor of Souls games. Boss fights, bonfires and estus-like potions just some of them. The campaign has influenced by Souls/Bloodborne theme. The atmosphere is so epic, especially during the boss battles. Surprisingly some clashes are harder then any normal boss battle.

Visuals are gorgeous but i can’t say the same for the frame-rates. Even PS4 Pro and Xbox One X can’t handle with the stable frame rate at lower resolutions (it barely hits 45fps). This is a big flaw of the game unfortunately, i hope they fixed it with a proper patch soon. Sounds, voices, soundtrack, they all awesome and you can feel the heat!

From Software did a great job on this game. Along with DMC 5, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twices is one of the best action-adventure game of 2019. Highly recommending this game for all DS and epic journey fans. Play on.
  97. Mar 25, 2019
    Great game all around, 20 hours in I found myself googling the actual story length, I just don't want it to end anytime soon.
    Combat system is truly revolutionary in its complexity and variability. Exploring for new tools adds a new kind of character building level, when missing single one of many prosthetics means missing a whole new mechanic you can utilize in your combat and therefore you just can't allow yourself to go past any kind of tiny secret path on your way.

To mention some minor letdowns for me so far:
    1) OST is not that atmospheric and haunting, especially compared to previous From's titles;
    2) level design is a bit too open for my taste - with this much of options to proceed I feel lost out of story progression sometimes and stressed with guessing things like "should I even be here fighting this thing at this point?". Having 2-3 paths to move on is fine, but currently I have like 5 different ways to go further at once and I am not a big fan of this simultaneous levels availability, I'll probably forget about 2 of them by the time I finish writing this.

Other than that I am so happy with how things turned out with Sekiro. Can't wait for DLC announcement
  98. Mar 25, 2019
    GAME of the YEAR!!!!!!! Maybe the best PS4 Game. Thank you so much 4 this Game.
  99. Mar 24, 2019
    Jogo do ano! Ação e combates excelentes com uma jogabilidade fluida. Ninja Gaiden, Tenchu e Soulsborne, combinação perfeita!
  100. Mar 26, 2019
    yes the game hard even harder than the souls series .. but it is balanced and very rewarding and require skills and passion , i love it and i don;t want it to end but everything good has an end

1. May 15, 2019
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an enjoyable, yet deeply challenging game. It's not really a Dark Souls with samurais game, but whether or not you enjoyed the difficulty level of the battles in Dark Souls will be a good benchmark in gauging how much you'll like Sekiro. If you're persistent, up for a challenge, and don't become frustrated easily, then Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an easy game to recommend.
  2. Apr 28, 2019
    Though Sekiro feels impossibly hard at times, the level of euphoria you experience when delivering a death blow to a tricky boss or when you finally clear a castle grounds of all enemies is almost unparalleled.
  3. Apr 27, 2019
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice succeeds in its incredibly visceral combat and stealth all while being set in an engaging game world. However, its linear character growth options and repetitive combat begin to dull the experience after you get over the initial hump.