7.9

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2050 Ratings

1. Mar 25, 2019
    I consider this game one of the best in that janra. So in my opinion it is 10/10
  2. Mar 23, 2019
    The swordsmanship in Sekiro feels swift and powerful. The game gives the player immediate feedback using visual and audio cues. Winning a duel is always well-deserved and never just lucky. Deflecting attacks, jumping over sweeps, and quick-stepping into thrusts will reward the player appropriately. The large enemies aren't stacked with health points like in other games. They are dangerousThe swordsmanship in Sekiro feels swift and powerful. The game gives the player immediate feedback using visual and audio cues. Winning a duel is always well-deserved and never just lucky. Deflecting attacks, jumping over sweeps, and quick-stepping into thrusts will reward the player appropriately. The large enemies aren't stacked with health points like in other games. They are dangerous yet vulnerable. Stealth killing some of the tougher enemies is also possible if you prefer ninjas over samurai. Plus, the traversal around the diverse, beautiful world is fun thanks to the wall jump and grappling hook. Expand
  3. Mar 26, 2019
    Excelente juego, una obra de arte, algo que los viejos jugadores de demons, dark, blood y todos los juegos del estilo "souls", esperamos. El juego es un aprendizaje constante a las mecánicas de cada enemigo. Gráficamente estupendo, quizás en lo único que todavía no he disfrutado, personalmente, es la música. Veremos con el transcurso de las horas. Recomendado para los que buscan desafios.Excelente juego, una obra de arte, algo que los viejos jugadores de demons, dark, blood y todos los juegos del estilo "souls", esperamos. El juego es un aprendizaje constante a las mecánicas de cada enemigo. Gráficamente estupendo, quizás en lo único que todavía no he disfrutado, personalmente, es la música. Veremos con el transcurso de las horas. Recomendado para los que buscan desafios. Saludos Expand
  4. Apr 20, 2019
    Great game but not for mainstream players. No power leveling, no summoning, you need actual raw skill and reflexes to complete this game which many will find it so challenging even more than other From Software games. I give it 10/10.
  5. Mar 31, 2019
    I have completed Dark Souls 1-3 including DLC for each one, I beat Bloodborn and loved getting my behind kicked by all of them, but I DO Not like Sekiro. Sekiro is in my book not a 9/10 game there is simply to much repetetion and those quicktime inspired ripostes are horrible. I would imagine that the pc version runs much better than the night ps4 and I even have the pro, it is aboutI have completed Dark Souls 1-3 including DLC for each one, I beat Bloodborn and loved getting my behind kicked by all of them, but I DO Not like Sekiro. Sekiro is in my book not a 9/10 game there is simply to much repetetion and those quicktime inspired ripostes are horrible. I would imagine that the pc version runs much better than the night ps4 and I even have the pro, it is about time the fromsoft puts out a game that runs smooth either in 30 or 60+ fps, but without frame pacing issues and highly variable refreshrate. I played through the first two bosses, and I was done with the game I do not like the timings, the mechanics or the riposte annimations. I am sorry that I will never expeirience the story of the game, but it simply does not appeal to me, and I have an assumption that many have given in to the fromsoft hype, and given the game 10/10 wich is generally higher than DS1. Give me Bloodborn 2 cheers. Expand
  6. Apr 4, 2019
    Utterly amazing. At some point the combat clicks in your head, and the joy of deflection and careful negotiation of space provides an unparalleled feeling of satisfaction. I learned to watch the screen in a whole new way from playing this game.
  7. Mar 25, 2019
    GAME of the YEAR!!!!!!! Maybe the best PS4 Game. Thank you so much 4 this Game.
  8. Mar 24, 2019
    First: Ignore all red ratings. This reviews are made from stupid fanboys of the other games or from people which posted the review before even playing it. It’s a shame that a lot journalists can’t see what level of game this, rating it like Dmc5 what a joke enough. The worldbuilding, combat and story are clever interesting and absolut genius like always when FS makes a game. It’s harderFirst: Ignore all red ratings. This reviews are made from stupid fanboys of the other games or from people which posted the review before even playing it. It’s a shame that a lot journalists can’t see what level of game this, rating it like Dmc5 what a joke enough. The worldbuilding, combat and story are clever interesting and absolut genius like always when FS makes a game. It’s harder yes but never unfair. And nooo, the Second Life is not random^^. It’s the third life which depends on % chance Expand
  9. Mar 26, 2019
    People who are complaining about this game, especially in regards to it's difficulty are either bad at games in general, or are young and unable to remember a time when video games were heartless and unforgiving towards the player. I personally think that Sekiro is extremely difficult. This is not a bad thing. Simply put, Git Gud
  10. Mar 28, 2019
    Потрясающая боевка, отличный геймдизайн, проработанный мир игры, невероятный хардкор-все это про sekiro:shadows die twice. Игра настолько хардкорная, что я после прохождения бб и 3 дс-ов, страдаю от анальной порки от каждого бомжа, а про боссов я вообще молчу, на первого встречного мне босса (леди бабочка), я потратил 4 часа, я восторге, секира-божественна !Потрясающая боевка, отличный геймдизайн, проработанный мир игры, невероятный хардкор-все это про sekiro:shadows die twice. Игра настолько хардкорная, что я после прохождения бб и 3 дс-ов, страдаю от анальной порки от каждого бомжа, а про боссов я вообще молчу, на первого встречного мне босса (леди бабочка), я потратил 4 часа, я восторге, секира-божественна !
  11. Mar 25, 2019
    Awesome game. Like dark souls and bloodborne. Diffuculty is hard. Bosses are tough. Skills and upgrades are very innovative. 100+ hours playing time!
  12. Mar 27, 2019
    Different enough from From Software's last few releases to feel fresh, but similar enough to keep us crawling back for more. I don't want to spoil any game mechanics or progression like some of the other reviewers, but don't go into this expecting the exact same Dark Souls formula. It is very much a different game as far as progression is concerned. This game is focused primarily on combatDifferent enough from From Software's last few releases to feel fresh, but similar enough to keep us crawling back for more. I don't want to spoil any game mechanics or progression like some of the other reviewers, but don't go into this expecting the exact same Dark Souls formula. It is very much a different game as far as progression is concerned. This game is focused primarily on combat and exploration. You don't have to worry about finding sets of armor, new weapons, etc. You do however need to practice your combat skills until you feel comfortable navigating this treacherous world filled with supernatural creatures inspired by Japanese myths and lore. One aspect that I like is the removal of any online features. I always felt like summoning was a crutch for players that were too lazy to study each boss and figure out a proper strategy in order to defeat them. Bottom line, it is a great game. Expand
  13. Mar 25, 2019
    For me, this game is a love letter for adult gamers.
    For me, this game is a love letter for adult gamers.
    From Software got the essence of video games with this gem, and made it for the real gamers. Those who put hours on developing skills and trying to overcame what the game offers to you. It is a very HARD game, maybe the hardest I ever played, but is possible to beat it, you just gotta put some heart in it, and the game will stick with you for a very long time. Mark my words: the game will go how in history as a classic. Thank you From Software! You guys have courage, and we salute you!
  14. Apr 1, 2019
    One of the best games of this generation long side with God of War, Zelda BOTH, The Witcher 3, Bloodborne. Love it from start to finish.
  15. Mar 24, 2019
    I played every soulsborne game from ds1 onward and this is the best next to Bloodborne in my opinion. It's really fast pace and doesn't allow you to roll through attacks anymore as much as its predecessors did, but instead forces you to get good at the game. I died about 20 times to the first boss(ogre) and was about to get angry, but then realized you really have to change your playstyleI played every soulsborne game from ds1 onward and this is the best next to Bloodborne in my opinion. It's really fast pace and doesn't allow you to roll through attacks anymore as much as its predecessors did, but instead forces you to get good at the game. I died about 20 times to the first boss(ogre) and was about to get angry, but then realized you really have to change your playstyle (which is a good thing as its not dark souls anymore). Furthermore the graphics are great for this kind of game and the scenery is breathtaking at times. If you're a fan of difficult games, that reward you for good reflexes and observation go for it. It has to be said tho, for this kind of game don't be ashamed to look up guides if you struggles some enemies are a bit tricky. My complaint is, that you can't customize your charakter as much, I'd like to at least see some cosmetic la changes or new blades. Expand
  16. Mar 24, 2019
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice takes Hidetaka Miyazaki's signature world building and deliberate combat in an entirely new direction, ditching the RPG aspects present in the Souls and Bloodborne franchises for a more plot focused action game. While some may be upset by this, the trademarks of a FromSoftware game that have lent themselves to the global acclaim attained by Miyazaki's prior worksSekiro: Shadows Die Twice takes Hidetaka Miyazaki's signature world building and deliberate combat in an entirely new direction, ditching the RPG aspects present in the Souls and Bloodborne franchises for a more plot focused action game. While some may be upset by this, the trademarks of a FromSoftware game that have lent themselves to the global acclaim attained by Miyazaki's prior works are present in this game, arguably at their strongest implementation so far.

The vertical design of the world of Ashina allows for more in depth exploration than almost any other game, giving the player a variety of options for each encounter. Barge in, guns blazing, and mow down everyone who stands in your way? Sure. Want to sneak through the grass and stealthily take down hordes of enemies to prevent engaging the entire group? Absolutely. Use your grappling hook to soar between buildings and avoid confrontation all together? Sekiro allows that. Despite removing the RPG elements, the freedom of choice in how a player can tackle combat situations is more diverse than it's ever been. Freedom of movement also lends itself to this player agency, with the player's shinobi being able to parkour up walls, swing across canyons, and shimmy across cliff ledges.

The death system is very well executed, to an extent. Too many revivals will cause any characters you've interacted with to fall ill with Dragonrot, preventing interaction with them until one returns to an Idol and heals the characters. The downside of Dragonrot rears its ugly head with the Unseen Aid mechanic: A random chance that the downsides of player death (losing half of the current experience and currency) will be avoided that decreases with each instance of Dragonrot caused. While a viable way to punish a player for abusing the revival mechanic, having this potentially grind-saving skill left up to random chance is sure to cause frustration with multiple players.

In addition, some items crucial to boss battles are hard to come across and very limited in how many the game will allow a player to access. This can lead to increased frustration upon a failed boss attempt or misuse of an item.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is undoubtedly one of the best games of the current console generation. Yes, it's got flaws, but high paced combat, a gorgeous and well developed world, and versatile combat make it an experience that is not to be missed.
  17. Apr 1, 2019
    I've played Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, and Bloodbourne and they all have one thing in common: I've never finished any of them. I simply get bored of the combat which comes down to three tactics: Block and poke, dodge and poke, or circle the enemy and poke in the rear. Sekiro trims away the dross and option anxiety of upgrading the character, upgrading the armor, blah blah, and instead givesI've played Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, and Bloodbourne and they all have one thing in common: I've never finished any of them. I simply get bored of the combat which comes down to three tactics: Block and poke, dodge and poke, or circle the enemy and poke in the rear. Sekiro trims away the dross and option anxiety of upgrading the character, upgrading the armor, blah blah, and instead gives you robust combat system where enemy knowledge is essential. My only criticism is that the engine and graphics are a little tired. Simply put, it's the one From Software game that stays compelling.

P.S. One reviewer below claims that no game can be a 0 or a 10. Sez who?
  18. Apr 4, 2019
    AMAZING but very very HARD ! .. if you arent ready to rage and yell you wont enjoy this game , i for one loved it a lot , its different from the DS & BB series and much more adventure oriented , Bosses are great and challenging even mini-bosses are fun, areas are beautiful and the lore is rich .. i loved more than anything the abilities you have or gain , didn't even think they'd make itAMAZING but very very HARD ! .. if you arent ready to rage and yell you wont enjoy this game , i for one loved it a lot , its different from the DS & BB series and much more adventure oriented , Bosses are great and challenging even mini-bosses are fun, areas are beautiful and the lore is rich .. i loved more than anything the abilities you have or gain , didn't even think they'd make it this detailed and complex , the least thing i liked was the main character tho , its the first time we get one that is fully written and we cant make .. the rest is perfect IMO .. 10/10 i have high expectations from FS but this game was a sweet surprise ! Expand
  19. Mar 28, 2019
    Fun game with balance issues.
    Posture gimmick defeats the purpose of a health bar. Build it up and watch 100% of their life drop to zero in a devastating death blow attack.
    You're going to need to get used to this as your sword is inferior to plastic knives in terms of damage. When it comes to dealing damage enemies might as well have lightsabers. You can do a 10 hit combo and if
    Fun game with balance issues.
    When it comes to dealing damage enemies might as well have lightsabers.
    You can do a 10 hit combo and if you're lucky the enemy MIGHT notice a slight itch going on only to find you struggling to do any kind of damage.
    Why the player has a posture gauge is beyond me.
    Attack the enemy 50 times you'll get about 50% of the job done.
    Get hit once by the enemy and you'll slip into a small seizure party.

If you're looking for a hardcore blocking simulator this game is for you.
    It's a fun game but hardly in the same league as Bloodborne or any other souls game for that matter.
  20. Apr 8, 2019
    Game of the year!!!!! a masterpiece from From Software. Its difficult in a beginning, but when you understand the mechanic of the game, its just another souls games. I love it.
  21. Mar 27, 2019
    Brilliant game but won't please everyone.
    Level design excellent, I would say probably the best within from software games.
    Story and characters are also good, I would prefer to see a bit more interaction with some NPCs and some side quests fell short but in general quite satisfactory. Game Play is a bit disruptive from previous from software games but very well balanced, stealth
    Brilliant game but won't please everyone.
    Game Play is a bit disruptive from previous from software games but very well balanced, stealth mechanics are a good addition but sword clashing and grappling hook for exploration is where the game play shines.
    World and atmosphere are mix of beauty and mystery, it's really well done however there's not a lot of variety through the game, I guess is matter of quality over quantity.
    There will be a lot of frustrating moments, specially on boss fights and if attempting a boss 20 times it's a deal breaker for you then this is not your game.
  22. Mar 31, 2019
    Sekiro это не игра, это искуство и отсееватель казуалов из Dark Souls. Это доказательство что хардкор жив и актуален!
  23. Mar 26, 2019
    I registered just to rate this game. The visuals, the combat flow and the setting are so god damn good. While I find the game to be challenging, there is something so immensely gratifying when you beat a boss or when you're in the middle of a bunch of enemies, dodging, striking, dodging, parrying and then retaliate in one motion, it is just so awesome. First game in years I've reallyI registered just to rate this game. The visuals, the combat flow and the setting are so god damn good. While I find the game to be challenging, there is something so immensely gratifying when you beat a boss or when you're in the middle of a bunch of enemies, dodging, striking, dodging, parrying and then retaliate in one motion, it is just so awesome. First game in years I've really enjoyed. I feel like a lot of this game reminds me of dancing and the most memorable moment is when I found myself on lady butterfly for what had to be the 30th time, when I realized I was playing solely on instinct. I wasn't thinking, just watching and reacting to her moves -- dodge, strike, parry, shuriken, then strike, it was like a choreographed drance. When I killed her I had only been hit one time.

The grinding in this game is different from other games. You're not grinding levels or points really, you're grinding your own skills. If you enjoy games that challenge you and reward tight game play this is game you will like.
  24. Mar 26, 2019
    Alright if I see one more of these negative reviews comparing Sekiro the Soulsborne series and criticizing Sekiro based on how non-similar it is to the Soulsborne Series I'm gonna explode. People who do this need to get it through thicck skulls that THIS IS NOT A SOULSBORNE game, there for should not be treated as such. It is a entirely different game with different focuses and concepts.Alright if I see one more of these negative reviews comparing Sekiro the Soulsborne series and criticizing Sekiro based on how non-similar it is to the Soulsborne Series I'm gonna explode. People who do this need to get it through thicck skulls that THIS IS NOT A SOULSBORNE game, there for should not be treated as such. It is a entirely different game with different focuses and concepts. It is is a good game in its own way. Expand
  25. Apr 13, 2019
    Loved and enjoyed every single From game before this. Was excited for Sekiro. But it is deeply flawed, poorly tuned and an exercise in frustration. From took a giant dump on their fans here, and I will not be buying anything from them in the future.
  26. Mar 24, 2019
    I really love the atmosphere and setting, it feels like it could of been a next gen Tenchu game, which would of been awesome.

Overall it's Dark Souls-esque without the RPG elements or any sense of variety. If you're a fan of Nioh or Bloodborne, this game is for you, because the combat borrows elements from both. I feel like the game would of benefited from adopting a similar vein to

I feel like the game would of benefited from adopting a similar vein to early FROM games such as Otogi or Tenchu - i.e levels rather than a pseudo-open world that you teleport around in.

I can see why people like it and it's great to have some more single player games on the market - but I personally couldn't get into the game due it's parrying/combat mechanics (something that turned me off the likes of Bloodborne and Nioh), lack of variety or levelling system and the fact that bosses get all their health back after you kill them.
  27. Mar 26, 2019
    First of Sekiro is not a RPG game in the sense that you are not in control of your looks, weapons etc. So 99% of the bad reviews are Souls players who are angry they cant run with a huge axe and a stupid looking hat, the last 1% of the bad reviews just need to learn to play.

The story is decent, the combat is fun and a refreshing way to play compared to the somewhat stale souls series. The verticality and general flow of combat is great.

Overall i like this game, iove that its not a Souls game again, i love they removed the RPG and grinding to overpowered level if something was to hard, i love they removed the awefull character generator, i love that this is more Tenchu than bloodborne. Dont get me wrong i love bloodborne one of my all time best game, but i really didnt need more of that in a ninja world, so what we got here is a more fresh and fun game.
  28. Apr 5, 2019
    Yep, it's another DS try. I'm just frustrated how rewarding system works and there is no fun in this game. It's just constant learning of enemy attack patterns, and I kind a lost my will and satisfaction to play this game. Maybe the most annoying thing for me is the rules - you're suppose to do what game tell you to do, otherwise you'll be punished. To conclude, I never enjoyed playingYep, it's another DS try. I'm just frustrated how rewarding system works and there is no fun in this game. It's just constant learning of enemy attack patterns, and I kind a lost my will and satisfaction to play this game. Maybe the most annoying thing for me is the rules - you're suppose to do what game tell you to do, otherwise you'll be punished. To conclude, I never enjoyed playing this game, it's a constant learning of patterns with no satisfaction at all... Expand
  29. Apr 21, 2019
    Has a nice elegant series of attacks, dodges, and blocks, and then interjects grab attacks with no counter. A major failing the game's part.
  30. Mar 26, 2019
    The game is a mix of the fast pacing and bloodshed of bloodborne, while keeping the epic and dramatic fights of dark souls, all at the same time being a completely different game.
  31. Apr 27, 2019
    I wanted to like this game. I like the idea of it, a stealth-action game more focused on swordplay than the dodge and roll mechanics of its predecessors. But the execution, for me, was a failure. I understand why some people like this game, and normally, I enjoy a challenge. But I found this game so demanding that it was no longer fun for me. While I was able to progress, I never felt likeI wanted to like this game. I like the idea of it, a stealth-action game more focused on swordplay than the dodge and roll mechanics of its predecessors. But the execution, for me, was a failure. I understand why some people like this game, and normally, I enjoy a challenge. But I found this game so demanding that it was no longer fun for me. While I was able to progress, I never felt like I was getting good at the game, I never felt like I was improving. The game was so difficult that when I did manage to beat a boss it felt more like getting lucky than anything else. This sucked the joy right out of the experience for me, and it became more frustrating than rewarding to play. This may be the right game for some people, but if you're not a masochist, be warned. Expand
  32. Mar 24, 2019
    Normally I wouldn't bother leaving a review on a game but the fact that Sekiro is currently scored higher than Demon's, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls III is just a factually wrong statement. You can see plenty of evidence for this if you just look at the userscores to be honest. Demon's, DS 1 & 3, and Bloodborne are all 8.8-8.9 on userscore which is accurate. They're great games but they'reNormally I wouldn't bother leaving a review on a game but the fact that Sekiro is currently scored higher than Demon's, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls III is just a factually wrong statement. You can see plenty of evidence for this if you just look at the userscores to be honest. Demon's, DS 1 & 3, and Bloodborne are all 8.8-8.9 on userscore which is accurate. They're great games but they're by no means flawless. Meanwhile Sekiro and DS II are barely floating over an 8 on userscores so clearly there's a significant number of people that disagree with the critic scores. Gonna be honest, I'm not a reviewer so don't expect me to give some amazing review just enjoy the thoughts of a Soulsborne fan that was severely disappointed with Sekiro.

Anyways, the game itself is fine. The combat can be fun and enjoyable but for a game that's supposed to not be a Souls game it is too similar to a Souls game without retaining the same things that make a Souls game fun. To name a few of the removed things weapon and armor variety as well as being able to create any kind of character you want. Instead you're given a singular weapon and what is more or less just a normal Souls item in the form of the Shinobi Arm. At the very least the first couple are just a throwing knife and the Souls kick that breaks the guard of enemies using a shield. The axe is more permanent as it actually breaks the shield but it still does the same job of breaking their guard and opening them up to a Riposte/Deathblow which are basically the same thing as they typically kill the enemy using the shield unless they're special in some way.

The same Bonfire/Enemy Respawn mechanic is back again and you still have an Estus Flask albeit with a different name. The only real difference here is the grappling hook and ability to jump and crouch. Some would say Stealth as well but you can stealth Souls games to some degree and I wouldn't exactly call Sekiro that different. Sure it works great sometimes but sometimes the enemies are just placed in a way that you can't just stealth the area much like normal Soulsborne.

The last and biggest complaint I have here is ironically about the same thing that From is known for doing well which are the bosses in the game. Soulsborne bosses have always been somewhat grand encounters which stand out significantly from the rest of the gameplay. In Sekiro, they've literally just been normal people that just don't die and can kill you in 2 hits regardless. I was honestly questioning if what I was calling bosses were even bosses as they're just laid out in the level like normal enemies just with multiple health bars so your instakill move doesn't instakill them. They're not especially memorable either and of the first 6 I know at least 2 are basically identical samurais with big katanas. The difficulty is all over the place but an average person has basically no chance of legitimately beating a boss without a lot of deaths which is only further dampened by the fact that the game penalizes you for dying too much. As for what that penalty does exactly, I don't know. I got tired of the game and quit playing after around 6 bosses so I never found out. Not that it really mattered to me anyways as I didn't care about the characters in the game as they're not especially interesting.

I honestly wish I could say the game was better but it's just not that great. It's not a bad game exactly but it's basically crippled in my eyes due to its standing as a From Software game much like DS II. I'd honestly recommend Nioh over it as Nioh at least has a lot of combat and enemy variety.
  33. Mar 22, 2019
    This game is a masterpiece,I applaud From Software doing something entirely different and being successful at it
  34. Mar 28, 2019
    Has some pretty sweet game play, but the difficulty coupled with the penalty of losing money and xp when you die has made it almost completely unenjoyable. This is the only FromSoft game I won't be finishing. It's exhaustingly difficult.
  35. Mar 26, 2019
    Sekiro was very much the game I looked forward most to in 2019 but also my greatest disappointment so far. I'm almost 40 hours in and at the end stretch of the game. Every time I played, I hoped for it to click, thinking that it may be something wrong with me. The glowing critic reviews left and right didn't help either. To summarize what I think is wrong with the game, it's the overallSekiro was very much the game I looked forward most to in 2019 but also my greatest disappointment so far. I'm almost 40 hours in and at the end stretch of the game. Every time I played, I hoped for it to click, thinking that it may be something wrong with me. The glowing critic reviews left and right didn't help either. To summarize what I think is wrong with the game, it's the overall interaction of it's (stealth / combat) mechanics that encourages you to play in a very specific way.

For example, a large percentage of the minibosses have entourages that are designed such that the safest / most rewarding way to go about those engagements is to:

1) Stealth kill a minion
    2) Run out of aggro range
    3) Wait a minute for remaining enemies to disengage
    4) Repeat 1 to 3 until you can fight the miniboss individually

immersion issues aside, doing the above can take up to 15 minutes per "run"
    and if you die - which always will happen because you have no idea what the new boss' moveset is, you have to repeat the process all over again. The major bosses are also designed to be impossible to defeat the first time through because you have no idea what the exact timing is for all their strikes and combos and this meant you can never reliably parry their attacks which is also the singular way to win.

The whole game is akin to doing tiresome dance rehearsals repeatedly until you get a waltz down the way your instructor wants it to be, except he doesn't tell you what he wants in the first place and you have to be beaten into knowing. This wasn't a problem with Dark Souls because caution could always bring you far and there were plenty of alternative solutions to the same puzzle.

By the end, Sekiro felt easier and more manageable when I could play by it's set of rules but that's because it forced me to play the only way it wanted to be played and the lack of player agency left a bad taste in my mouth.

My conclusion at the end is this - Sekiro was overdesigned and has an identity issue. It wants to be a little bit of Tenchu, but doesn't do it well. It also wants to somewhat be Dark Souls, but doesn't do that well either. It definitely wants to be Onimusha / Bushido Blade but is also halfhearted about that. I have little doubt that Sekiro will not be looked upon favorably years after the hype has gone. But still, plenty of love to players who had a good time with it.
  36. Mar 25, 2019
    I don't see what Sekiro does better or unique compared to other action games or even From's own franchises. The game reminds me of Nioh but nowhere close to being as fun.. Why? Because it's not as deep mechanically as Nioh, has no gear/weapons to get throughout the game and my biggest issue of all, it forces you to play with a certain style.

If you don't force yourself into learning how

If you don't force yourself into learning how to parry, then you're not gonna have a healthy experience with the game. Dodging isn't as safe as it felt in other FromSoftware games and blocking is just a waste of time since 9/10 enemies will continue to swing their weapons relentlessly until they brake your guard. Same applies for your prosthetic tools.. There will be many times where you NEED to use them otherwise the game will screw you hard. Lastly, stealth is pretty much mandatory for the majority of the game. It's a good addition....when it works. I can't count how many times I've died because I jumped into an enemy and the assassination mark didn't trigger.

Moving into visuals and performance... Again, not impressed. I don't pay attention to graphics much, but I do value framerate. It's 2019, FromSoft is a company that bathes in gold from the sales of SoulsBorne games and you're telling me they can't provide a proper fps boost on PS4 pro? The framerate is uncapped but almost never goes above 40. Reminder that GoW 2018 was a much prettier game, with the same semi-linear structure and had a respectable 45-60fps experience.

Closing this review with a personal statement.. This "hard but fair" debacle needs to go away IMO. The game is as fair as a fight between me and a Sumo wrestler. When the enemy needs 25hits to take down while I die in 1-2, is not fair, especially in Sekiro where most of your hits end up being blocked. It's a hardcore game yes, but not "fair".

Overall the game is a big meh, doesn't do anything better than previous SoulsBorne games or Nioh and the fact that it forces you into a certain playstyle is a big turn off for me.
  37. Mar 24, 2019
    If this was a EA/BioWare game it’d be getting 3/4 out 10. Sekiro has no customisations, it’s basically 2 click attack, which is mostly just spamming the attack button, a broken parry system, that only works sometimes, which is typical for from software games, a grapple that just plain annoying at times, maybe the worst ai in gaming history, still trying figure how you can land multipleIf this was a EA/BioWare game it’d be getting 3/4 out 10. Sekiro has no customisations, it’s basically 2 click attack, which is mostly just spamming the attack button, a broken parry system, that only works sometimes, which is typical for from software games, a grapple that just plain annoying at times, maybe the worst ai in gaming history, still trying figure how you can land multiple “deathblows” when you think it’d only take one, horrible clunky combat, with slow unresponsive character movement, but the souls, bloodborne fan boy brigade would give anything released by from software a 10/10, this will easily be 2019 most overrated piece of pure trash. It’s basically a poor mans version of dark souls. Expand
  38. Mar 23, 2019
    As someone who has achieved platinum trophies in every Souls and Soulslike(Nioh,The Surge,etc), it tears me apart to have to post this score but in the games current state, it’s absolutely infuriating to play...and not in the good “Souls” way. With the game relying so heavily on the timing of blocks, counters and dodges I would think that From Software would want to have the mechanicsAs someone who has achieved platinum trophies in every Souls and Soulslike(Nioh,The Surge,etc), it tears me apart to have to post this score but in the games current state, it’s absolutely infuriating to play...and not in the good “Souls” way. With the game relying so heavily on the timing of blocks, counters and dodges I would think that From Software would want to have the mechanics dialed in at release. I can’t tell you how many f’ing times I’ve dodged a grab, just to watch the enemy animation lock on to me mid-dodge. The same with other combat mechanics. This screwed up timing has also happened when the red deathblow prompt appears. I go to finish off an enemy, hit the attack button and nothing happens. This kind of garbage happens WAY too often for a game that’s combat relies completely on timing. It makes for way too many deaths that have happened because I’ve been killed by the games poor mechanics and not having to “git good”. My hype and excitement for this game have gone down the toilet. As it stands, I’m going to stop playing and hope that they fine tune the mechanics in future patches. I’ll come back and update my score if it gets fixed. Expand
  39. Apr 6, 2019
    In no means this title is a "must play".
    forcing players on a certain playstyle is bad enough but than choosing one of the worst ones is a big yikes. Souls was always able to offer a variety of different playstyles but sekiro is forcing you to play picture frame perfect like they want and its tedious and boring af.
    You do not get to choose the style of combat or how you will fight.
    In no means this title is a "must play".
    You do not get to choose the style of combat or how you will fight. Follow their style, or die. Do not think for yourself and respond how they want you to, or die.
  40. Mar 26, 2019
    Ojo no es para todos !!! no comprar sin jugar antes

Ojo no es para todos !!! no comprar sin jugar antes

Es un juego complejo ,profundo sin apenas instrucciones o guias y de elevada dificultad . Si eres un jugador casual que busca divertirse sin mas , este no es tu juego , no vas a encontrar graficos punteros , es mas parece de Ps3 . Yo tras unas 15 horas lo he abandonado porque requiere de muchas horas y esfuerzo que no tengo ni tampoco ganas la verdad porque al Red Dead Redeption 2 le he didicado mas de 100 horas y sigo cabalgando ...... pero es que RDR2 es espectacular solo verlo , este no lo es , asi de simple . Advertido quedas , juega antes de comprarlo o puede que malgastes tu dinero .
  41. Mar 28, 2019
    the best thing about the souls games is leveling up and getting better gear, this made it really addictive for me.. but you won't get this with this game, not being able to level up and make your character stronger with better weapons leads to a lot of frustration and in the end it's just not fun to play..
  42. Mar 24, 2019
    Parts of the combat system are very unreliable, and it seems they needed more refinement on their new system. This is too bad because the exploration is excellent.
  43. Apr 5, 2019
    Frustratingly difficult, even for soulsbourne vets. Fairly bland world without much variation. No gear drops, no way to change appearance. Why am I playing this? Oh yeah, gourd and bead drops. Maybe it's time to reconsider.
  44. Apr 14, 2019
    The best parts of this game are when you are exploring environments, dealing with regular enemies.

The worst parts are the innumerable mini bosses with multiple health bars that you barely do any damage to and can take you out in two hits. In fact, I find these mini bosses to be so overwhelming that I instantly look online for a strategy. I've never felt so little about cheesing a game as I have for Sekiro, because Sekiro is just too much! These mini bosses are brutally unfair - spamming with damn near unavoidable moves. Each time I see one my heart sinks as I anticipate the coming war with this damn thing.

From software makes technically poor games. Their design and premise is good, but they're rife with technical flaws that have been with us since Demon's Souls and really should have been fixed by now. Input lag, bad lock-on, superfluous loading, attacks through walls, poor AI pathing, misleading conversation prompts, bad inventory management and so on. The point is, that if the design and balance isn't good then the game comes out very poor.

It's all about balance. Whilst not a souls game, Sekiro clearly uses a modified version of the same engine behind bloodborne and DS3, and as such retains a lot of "soulsborne" feel whilst dropping a lot of the RPG mechanics of prior games - leaving the combat as the main focus of the game. This leaves you with only one way to "do" things - the way from intended - if you try your own strategy against a boss then you're just going to be punished. You have to deflect this guy or counter that guy, but you cannot dodge or run around as they have moves to punish that. So the entire game ends up being a parry fest, and you eat death after death until you find out the pattern for this boss and then do it all over again half an hour later.

Excuse me for finding this infuriating.
  45. Apr 9, 2019
    I don't think Sekiro is bad, I just beat the game, but... I can't give it anything past a 6 simply because it's.... well, mediocre (for FromSoft). As much as I wanted to fall in love with this game I have to admit that Bloodborne is better in almost every way. The story was extremely predictable though I won't explain exactly why b/c I don't want to spoil it for you. It's basically theI don't think Sekiro is bad, I just beat the game, but... I can't give it anything past a 6 simply because it's.... well, mediocre (for FromSoft). As much as I wanted to fall in love with this game I have to admit that Bloodborne is better in almost every way. The story was extremely predictable though I won't explain exactly why b/c I don't want to spoil it for you. It's basically the equivalent of mario trying to save/protect the princess. The game just didn't captivate me... like at all. I never had a sense of wonder and excitement or FEAR in seeing what's next like I did with BB. The fear is artificial. It's "oh great, another tedious battle". I remember when people were speculating that the game would have a crazy horror twist and that got me excited, unfortunately the game has none of this. Only 1 enemy in the whole game was a little creepy. The combat, while fun for a while, becomes boring. You're given ONE play style for the entire game. You get prosthetic tools but, honestly... you DON'T REALLY USE THEM. Parrying is what you'll be doing 99% of the time. I almost never used prosthetics or items the entire game.

As far as the difficulty goes, a lot of it just comes from learning how to block/parry and timing. If you suck at reflexes this game you will struggle. But you WILL get better (if you want to progress). In fact I found the game to be in general EASIER than BB or DS. The ONLY area that is harder are certain bosses which took me more tries than some BB or DS bosses. Regular enemies and mini-bosses become trivial once you learn how to parry, block and respond to perilous attacks. There were a lot of poorly designed bosses... really glaring ways to cheese but also repetitive in nature. You will fight the same type of "boss" multiple times throughout the game. Also, Mini-bosses get in the way of the suspense and build up to a big boss. A lot of times you fight a mini-boss RIGHT BEFORE a big boss. But it just feels like 2 boss fights in a row. And all the bosses have a lot of health, which just FEELS tedious, but again... the game really isn't that hard, just reflex-intensive. So you will be doing constant parrying and attacking along with quicktime-like events for perilous attacks.

Sekiro overall feels uninspired. Like it was lacking the soul that DS and BB have. Part of the reason for this is they reused so many elements from BB and DS that nothing seemed new. The only new aspect was the combat. Many enemies and locations are direct re-skins of previous enemies/locations in other FromSoft games. The story reuses certain plot-lines and styles.

What bugs me the most is that very little is "memorable". The NPCs and their quests, the boss fights, the locations, or the atmosphere. It's all just mediocre, feels too safe. And I hate saying this b/c the game is automatically better than most games, b/c it is a FromSoft game afterall. But don't we want something that will blow us away like Bloodborne? BB was a perfect example of how to keep the Dark Souls formula but mix it up with genius storytelling and exciting gameplay in a new dark/mysterious universe. Unfortunately, Sekiro just doesn't match this "leap" as well.

OK so what do I think they could have done to improve this? Allow us to loot weapons/armor. Add more RPG elements. Give us the ability to change how or character looks, what they wear. Adding multiplayer or something chalice dungeons to help replay-ability. Give us REAL reason to use prosthetics and weapon arts. The weapon arts and prosthetics are rarely used aside from early on in the game on rare enemies. Create a story that is more subtle/interesting/creative/unique. Make the story darker, more gritty; improve the atmosphere. That said, i don't think it's awful. It's still better than a TON of games out there. But it really doesn't meet the quality that Bloodborne put out there. And that's the big problem in a nutshell.
  46. Mar 27, 2019
    Thank you, From Software. It was truly amazing. Last boss broke my heart, but after 87 tries I beat him. It was the best feeling ever. Thank you for this masterpiece.
  47. Mar 30, 2019
    Sekiro > Bloodborne > Dark Souls 2 SOTFS > Dark Souls 3 > Dark Souls 1 > Demon's Souls
    The reasons why scubs review this low:
    Can't cheese bosses with max range caster.
    Can't outgear bosses and watch netflixs while you turtle shield.
    Can't get carried through bosses in a single player game.
  48. Apr 15, 2019
    There is a lot this game does great. World, exploration and progression is amazing. Shame the boss fights are so out of tune in terms of difficulty. They are relentless and unforgiving making it an enjoyable experience for selected few. I wanted so much to finish this game, but could not, despite the hours spent bosses with little to no progression. Not fun to be charged for a game only toThere is a lot this game does great. World, exploration and progression is amazing. Shame the boss fights are so out of tune in terms of difficulty. They are relentless and unforgiving making it an enjoyable experience for selected few. I wanted so much to finish this game, but could not, despite the hours spent bosses with little to no progression. Not fun to be charged for a game only to make it impossible to complete. I do not recommend a purchase until a system to reduce difficulty of bosses is implemented. Shame. :( Expand
  49. May 10, 2019
    I was expecting this long time and thought From Software cannot fail. But I was wrong. Now when I'm on last boss in the game cannot find nothing else but regret time invested in this. This game looks like fast created without much effort presenting all bad things as "something new". What's the point fighting same boss few times during game? Ogre 2 times, Owl 2 times, 7 spears 2 times, MonkI was expecting this long time and thought From Software cannot fail. But I was wrong. Now when I'm on last boss in the game cannot find nothing else but regret time invested in this. This game looks like fast created without much effort presenting all bad things as "something new". What's the point fighting same boss few times during game? Ogre 2 times, Owl 2 times, 7 spears 2 times, Monk 2 times, Drunk guy 2 times, purple fellow probably 5 times. Luck of inspiration and copy-paste bosses?

All things which need tuning and effort was putted out of the game. Multiple characters, multiple weapons, armor, unique bosses (few bosses copy pasted), upgrading weapons.

Only advertising was done right when they presented all bad thins as intentional and "something new".

Hope they will not ruin Bloodborne 2 like that. BB was probably best game ever and deserve good sequel!
  50. Apr 8, 2019
    How to enjoy Sekiro:
    1. Deflect
    2. Deflect 3. Realise that this is NOT a soulsborne game 4. DEFLECT As a huge soulsborne player, after Dark Souls 3 I was actually aching for something new by FromSoft, and that's what I got. Sekiro takes the learnings from the recent FromSoft games and makes them into a classic stealth-action game with a twist. It repeatedly puts the player in
    How to enjoy Sekiro:
    1. Deflect
    2. Deflect
    3. Realise that this is NOT a soulsborne game
    4. DEFLECT

As a huge soulsborne player, after Dark Souls 3 I was actually aching for something new by FromSoft, and that's what I got. Sekiro takes the learnings from the recent FromSoft games and makes them into a classic stealth-action game with a twist. It repeatedly puts the player in positions where you feel absolutely hopeless in defeating a boss/miniboss, but through trial and error and not giving up (and 'getting gud') it is eventually possible, and success feels like sweet sweet FromSoft goodness. Graphics and designs are top notch of course.

Why is this not a 10? Music is a meh. I was hoping for a lot more replayability. Sadly there are not many varieties to play Sekiro in terms of builds etc. Combat arts would have potential for this, but sadly they are mostly underwhelming.

FromSoft shines when they make a new type of game, new world, new IP. We saw it with Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne and now we're seeing it with Sekiro. Great game.
  51. May 25, 2019
    It's ok if you want to make a hard game, but when you do make sure you give players the best tools so we can do the job fairly. This is not the case with sekiro. This is the game where the developer still want your money and do whatever they want to players without consent. I know you can deflect, parry and dodge the attacts, but pretty much most of times it's about rock paper scissors.It's ok if you want to make a hard game, but when you do make sure you give players the best tools so we can do the job fairly. This is not the case with sekiro. This is the game where the developer still want your money and do whatever they want to players without consent. I know you can deflect, parry and dodge the attacts, but pretty much most of times it's about rock paper scissors. Most tools and moves are pretty much useless too, only some of them are useful, and i don't understand why a badass shinobi like wolf/sekiro needs 3-5 second pause to drink his potion while the enemy in front of him is going haywire. Also some technical issues like camera and unresponsive control {PS4 version played), especially when you fight a boss in a confined space the camera just going haywire and i don't even know the position of the boss is, next thing i know i got slashed from behind and walah...DEAD. I clocked this game for 70 hours and i spent most of those hours on bosses. Yeah yeah i know you the badass gamer will say "You suck man", But you probably don't have family or a job, but i do. The reason i played this game is because of the hype and i don't want to waste money on the game i already bought. Lastly this is gonna be the first time and the last time i play fromsoftware game. Thanks fromsoftware for wasting 70 hours of my time. Expand
  52. Jun 1, 2019
    Terrible. They took out all customisation of weapons and outfits, no magic, no multiplayer. So you get 25% of the content for the same bargain full price.

Just parry, more parry and when you are sick of parrying? Well suck it up buttercup you play how we tell you. The bosses are dull in comparison to anything in DS, DS3 and BB. The difficulty is what it is, we all buy these for the

The difficulty is what it is, we all buy these for the difficulty.

There's 4 different endings but who cares, this is a one and done game. Never to be played again, even streamers have abandoned it after a month or two which is incredible considering how popular DS3 and BB still were 3 and 4 years later.

Looks beautiful though so have 2/10 for the graphics.
  53. Apr 5, 2019
    Sekiro is a challenging game, and as such isn’t a game for everyone. If you think you’ll fly through this game because you're a Soulsborne veteran, or if you think the combat is something easy to pick up, I advise you to readjust your expectations. This is a brutal game, one that will be challenging for veterans and newbies alike. However, if you have the motivation to persist, I thinkSekiro is a challenging game, and as such isn’t a game for everyone. If you think you’ll fly through this game because you're a Soulsborne veteran, or if you think the combat is something easy to pick up, I advise you to readjust your expectations. This is a brutal game, one that will be challenging for veterans and newbies alike. However, if you have the motivation to persist, I think you'll find that Sekiro offers one of the most fulfilling and diverse gameplay experiences in modern times.
    The area design of Sekiro is absolutely brilliant. The world can be broken down into central hubs that each interconnect and branch out into other areas. There is a vast world to be explored, and each distinct area is equipped with its own atmosphere, level layout and enemy types. Moreover, there is a new dimension of verticality introduced into the area design, meaning players can not only explore on a planar level, but also can move upwards and explore that way as well. All this creates an exploration experience that is quite engaging.
    Sekiro boasts a new combat style focused on aggressive gameplay and deflecting enemy attacks. I’ll say it now: if you play the game like Dark Souls, you won’t get far. This is a new system, and that’s perfectly ok because this game isn’t Dark Souls and doesn’t want to be. Truth be told, when I started out the game I was frustrated that I couldn’t get a handle on this combat system. I was ready to put down the game and call it quits. But after my second or third boss, the combat finally clicked and I started to have fun with the system. And it’s quite an intricate and fun combat system, probably as good as Bloodborne’s combat in my eyes.
    To top it all off, bosses and minibosses are the most engaging they’ve been. Some of these bosses have become my all time favorite bosses in gaming history. Although there is the occasional cheap fight, I’m impressed by how the game from start to finish is able to churn out incredibly different and challenging bosses.
    Sekiro is a VERY strong 9/10. I can’t really consider it a 10/10 because it does have its fair share of flaws. One of these flaws is the storytelling; Sekiro attempts to tell a more structured narrative than that of Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but unfortunately it fails to be coherent. It seems those involved with the storywriting couldn’t tell if they wanted the story to be more ambiguous like in DS/BB or if it should be clear-cut, so they just opted for both; as such, the story feels somewhat befuddled and confusing at times, with no rhyme or reason to why events occur or why we should care.
    Another flaw would be the lack of diversity in the skill trees. A lot of these skills, maybe half, don’t really help that much in combat. Out of all the skill trees, only one has skills that all are useful; the rest have maybe 2-3 useful skills and then 7-8 useless skills.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is quite an achievement. It had a lot to live up to, and boy did it surpass expectations. This is a game that takes some of the best aspects of the Soulsborne series and revitalizes it in a refreshing, innovative way. Those who invest in the game will find an incredibly rewarding and fun journey, but unfortunately there are those who don't want to invest the time and would rather criticize the game as unfair and a 0/10 without understanding how the game and its underlying combat mechanics work. Sekiro is a strong 9/10, and since FromSoft has never disappointed with its DLC, I expect in the near future we’ll get some more great Sekiro content that will elevate the game to 10/10.
  54. Apr 27, 2019
    Fantastic experiance with really great controls that only from soft would have the balls to let users mess around with, its difficult, like really difficult but by the end of the game you really do feel like youve gotten so much better and can breeze through the earlier levels that took you so long the first time, a lot of people will complain that there is only 1 way you can play the gameFantastic experiance with really great controls that only from soft would have the balls to let users mess around with, its difficult, like really difficult but by the end of the game you really do feel like youve gotten so much better and can breeze through the earlier levels that took you so long the first time, a lot of people will complain that there is only 1 way you can play the game unlike other souls games, but i think its fine for them to hone you down to this style so that you can only focus on getting good at parrying and knowing your timing windows. In this it succeds. Although i will admit there isnt really much in replay value once youve mastered its controls as it starts to become really easy to fly through the earlier stages. But im fine with a just a one time experiance that was captivating from beginning to end Expand
  55. May 7, 2019
    All the rpg elements have been stripped out of the game leaving a action game which you can acquire new attacks in. The boss fights are overly difficult compared to bloodborne or souls because many of the battles rely on you have very good timing to parry attacks. And it just becomes annoying unlike previous games where if you died it felt like your fault, and you could go away and levelAll the rpg elements have been stripped out of the game leaving a action game which you can acquire new attacks in. The boss fights are overly difficult compared to bloodborne or souls because many of the battles rely on you have very good timing to parry attacks. And it just becomes annoying unlike previous games where if you died it felt like your fault, and you could go away and level up or get new weapons or shields and etc and come back. Here you just have to keep bashing your head against the wall and hope for the best. The parry and break stance mechanic you need to beat bosses just feels cheap and annoying because there is no way most bosses can ever be beaten on first try like in their other games and it takes so long to wear some of them down and then a lot of times that can one hit you and you have to start over from a spawn point that takes 5-10 minutes to reach the boss again.. I just could not be FD after about 10 hours in and moved on to other games that are actually fun to play. Its a shame as there was massive potential here if they just spent time balancing the boss fights and adding a character build system to give players options. Expand
  56. Jun 8, 2019
    I cant finish that **** ,saint ashin is insane , hitboxes in that games so broke i cant even do **** !
  57. May 2, 2019
    Honestamente no entiendo tanta nota de 10, ni de lejos es perfecto...repetitivo,con un sistema de combate que consiste en morir hasta memorizar los patrones de ataque de un boss tras otro, lo que alarga artficialmente la duración de un juego que si no fuera por eso sería corto.
    En cuanto a la dificultad en realidad yo diria que su dificultad es no perder la paciencia con Bosses que te matan de un golpe, hitboxes imposibles y tracking descarado lo que convierte el combate en bloquear secuencias de golpes que memorizas a base de repetir y golpear cuando termina .Fin
    Los gráficos no son nada del otro mundo y la historia tampoco destaca.
    Si, es Fromsoftware y si,tiene su dificultad pero ni de lejos es un 10
  58. May 9, 2019
    A very disappointing game. The game started very good but the further I progressed the game just became a kill boss after other boss game. They could have created just a arena and fight 53 bosses in a row and you would hardly know the difference. I seems that they have rushed through the game development and just threw in some bosses (and several times the bosses are exactly the same). IA very disappointing game. The game started very good but the further I progressed the game just became a kill boss after other boss game. They could have created just a arena and fight 53 bosses in a row and you would hardly know the difference. I seems that they have rushed through the game development and just threw in some bosses (and several times the bosses are exactly the same). I hope their next game will be from the same quality as Bloodborne again. Expand
  59. Mar 31, 2019
    How to....
    Sekiro.
    1. Take Dark Souls. 2. Tell everybody that its absolutely not a Dark Souls. Attention: dont explain why, because it is still Dark Souls. 3. Rip off: - character customization. - tons of equipment. - no, all equipment!! - fashionsouls. - 4!!! different magic schools. - possibility to play in different styles. - replayability. - cooperative. - pvp. -
    How to....
    Sekiro.
    1. Take Dark Souls.
    3. Rip off:
    - character customization.
    - tons of equipment.
    - no, all equipment!!
    - fashionsouls.
    - 4!!! different magic schools.
    - possibility to play in different styles.
    - replayability.
    - cooperative.
    - pvp.
    - exploration rewards.

4. Add:
    - jumps
    - true character with personalty (who is unnamed shinobi without a past and 95% of his answers is "hmmmm...." and "silent starring")
    - hook?.. Oh, dont forget to rip off all ladders!
    5. Repeat again that Sekiro is not a Dark Souls!
    6. Sure that you ripped all variety. Better - do it twice.
    7. Publish.
    Hooray, Sekiro is done!

And now - seriously. Souls games was beaten by me atleast three times each. In DS3 was spent about 200 hours, even now you can see tons of videos about this game, interestin mechanics and tactics, different ways to play, mods. Sekiro was frustrated after 25 hours of gameplay... They are ripped off too many things to vary gameplay in different ways and game became too bland, i dont wait anything new after first half of game. This is first From's game which i dropped unfinished.
    Anyway, Sekiro still a good game. It was an interesting experience (atleast until all tools was collected). Yes, at this moment i'll vote for it as GOTY and give 7 of 10, but... Why only 2? For me, Sekiro is not way forward, its a step back - we are lost too many great things...
    So, as looking at many overhiped reviews, i still should hope that their next game wont be a 10 hours dash through the straight gray corridor, filled with 5 phased one shoting enemies. Or, something like a Sinner........
  60. Mar 24, 2019
    This feels like the game FromSoft should've made BEFORE Demon's Souls. An average, rough-around-the-edges project with a sparkle of potential, but it's not, it's their newest game. It is severely lacking content and features compared to previous titles, and a narrative seems to have developed where comparing Sekiro to Dark Souls or Bloodborne is taboo. Thing is, it IS Dark Souls, all theThis feels like the game FromSoft should've made BEFORE Demon's Souls. An average, rough-around-the-edges project with a sparkle of potential, but it's not, it's their newest game. It is severely lacking content and features compared to previous titles, and a narrative seems to have developed where comparing Sekiro to Dark Souls or Bloodborne is taboo. Thing is, it IS Dark Souls, all the major hallmarks are there, but with a different coat of paint. You have shrines instead of bonfires, but they serve the same purpose. Enemies respawn if you die or rest, even the item descriptions and the wording of those descriptions is almost identical to items from Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Comparison is inevitable and it works to Sekiro's detriment as it simply does not measure up.

What I absolutely despise about this game is the extreme narrow approach to play style. You have one weapon, a few gadgets that serve VERY specific purposes and some special moves, none of which have been terribly effective so far. I'll admit I never really got "gud" at the Souls games, I enjoyed playing them with my friends, I enjoyed co-op, strength builds, miracles, playing my character my way. But not Sekiro, oh no. You must parry. It is the only way to play the game. I've never been a big fan of parrying, the PVP community from the Souls games absolutely soured me on the whole mechanic. I think it's cheap, dishonest and essentially shuts out any alternative styles.
    Sekiro suffers from it's lack of leveling up. In Dark Souls, if you were struggling, you could grind a bit, increase your health or your strength or pump your spells a little more. You could upgrade your weapon, or try a different one. Sekiro has no options. One build, one weapon, one technique, rinse and repeat. It's dull, it's not challenging it's just tedious, more about rote memorisation and pattern recognition than adapting.
    Plus, the game doesn't play by its own rules. Early on, I came across a...mini-boss maybe? A big samurai guy that needs TWO death blows to kill. I figured I could get the first one with a sneak attack, and after trying and failing a couple times to fight him face to face I thought I'd just grapple away, wait for him to stop aggroing and sneak attack him again for the second deathblow. But no. He regenerates completely. The game has just said "No, play it OUR way". Even though Wolf is a sneaky shinobi man who uses trickery and subterfuge, except don't use trickery or subterfuge, just parry you scrub.

So that's why I'm giving Parry Souls: Shadows Parry Twice a 4/10. This might be a 5 or 6/10 if it was a different studio, but FromSoft can do and have done better. This is a step in the wrong direction for them. I refuse to praise this stripping away of content and options as "trying something new". New isn't always good.
  61. Mar 24, 2019
    Fast enemies + slow controller signal (for such a game) = hours of pain and suffering. I think this game is not for PS4. I hardly jump, not to say about the fight with the bull.

But the game is good.
  62. crs
    Mar 30, 2019
    Takes a bit of getting used to but when you do it’s a lot of fun.

Didn’t like it at first but persevere with it and it’s awesome.

A great experience from the guys at from software.

Although I must admit it thought you had messed up and deserted your fans at first.
  63. Apr 16, 2019
    This game is very hard and has been very annoying and also the ending was not that good.
  64. Mar 23, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Making a game hard does not make it good.
    Some games are good DESPITE being hard.

Sekiro is a good game overall but it's finished with piss.

The ambience is great and the difficulty is high, and the fights are somehow rewarding, like in DS.
    However, if you're not good enough the first levels, the game puts you in a deadlock.

I died multiple time trying to hone my skills, because I was willing to get this game better.
    By fighting one of the first bosses with clever use of fire tools, I realized these consumables slowly got depleted after each of my rebirth, with got me at 0 charge and made the already tough bass impossible for me to beat.
    The only way to by these are with money, and dying removes your cash.

So when your only option to progress is to start another game, that's when you realize this game is just broken.

I know I'm not the best at these kind of games, but I'm not a dimwit either, and after spending 70€, feeling the game spit at my face just makes me want to puke.
  65. Mar 28, 2019
    Another over hyped game from From Software. Boring world with tedious game mechanics. Give me Wither 3 anyday to this.
  66. Apr 3, 2019
    This is not fun. I am a fan for hard games. I loved Nioh which was hard as hell, but it at least gives you a sense of success and improvement. But Sekiro is boring-hard. It is not combat, it is domination and humiliation of a boring shinobi by ugly, repetitive enemies. You don't get the chance to perfect your combat because there is stealth, but you use stealth so much that you become tooThis is not fun. I am a fan for hard games. I loved Nioh which was hard as hell, but it at least gives you a sense of success and improvement. But Sekiro is boring-hard. It is not combat, it is domination and humiliation of a boring shinobi by ugly, repetitive enemies. You don't get the chance to perfect your combat because there is stealth, but you use stealth so much that you become too dependent on it. That's why they put Hanbei the Undying. Graphics are not what they should be today and even on PS4 Pro the fps is so low, it does not satisfy. World is just too shallow. Game doesn't give you much, skills do not feel like you are getting better at things. Deflect just doesn't work, it feels like it's random. If you are not a game-zombie who spends hours and hours on every unnecessary game, then you won't like Sekiro. Expand
  67. Jun 7, 2019
    Tedious. Plodding. Punishing. Arbitrary. If any of these descriptors get you excited to drop $60, go for it. If not, I'd advise a rental first.

Bear in mind - particularly you knee-jerk "git gud" apologists - I am a HUGE From Software fanatic. I've played everything since Demon's Souls (including DLCs) to completion. I *like* difficult games. But let's put a little more thought into this - difficulty is not the only measure of a game's quality.

To be fair, we were all aware that this wouldn't be a Soulsborne sequel. But its being a From game, I remained optimistic. What's been delivered falls short of expectations. First criticism: it's extremely one-note. It's a parry/riposte game at its core, and that's about all it is. If you don't dig that one mechanic... well, you do now, because it's what you WILL be doing for the next 60 hours or however long it takes. Oh by the way, frame rate is a little dodgy on PS4, so this timing-intensive mechanic will be routinely undermined by... um, timing. There's also a stealth component for those of you who like crouching in grass and moving very slowly.

From's siren song of "hard but FAIR" cannot be sung for this game. Fans may tell you otherwise, but the game is frequently arbitrary, and never in your favor. E.g. In the middle of a boss battle, if you stray a few feet too far, the boss might lose interest in you for a moment, and magically regain all of his health and "deathblow" points. (I'm not talking about posture, which enemies regain as a matter of course when you're not engaged.) Your own health and resurrection points? Yeah, not so much. tl;dr - the game cheats. It's already hard as nails; it really needn't cheat.

Finally, there just isn't enough variety here to make it worthwhile. I happily endured all of From's previous games because, in between the steep challenges, there was such a thrill in unfolding the world and all the RPG systems. Well, this isn't an RPG, and in absence of RPG incentives, the world feels kind of empty. You flit about with your grappling hook - novel at first, but eventually this undermines any sense of structure or mystery. Skill trees offer some interesting upgrades, but also a lot of obvious filler. ("Ooh instead of carrying 15 of these items, I can now carry *16*." I am not making this up. Minimum amount of flair.) The boss to non-boss ratio is much, much higher than in Soulsborne, or in fact any game I've ever played (excepting Shadow of the Colossus, which was famously all-bosses.) If you enjoyed the exploration and slow burn of Soulsborne as much as (or like me, more than) the boss battles, then Sekiro is going to bore you to tears. Graphics are a mixed bag. The writing and voice acting are quite dull.

In summary: not feeling it. Except for the tendinitis, arthritis, etc.
  68. Apr 22, 2019
    The game is way too difficult. The story is quite boring. I finished Bloodborne with DLC, it was hard but rewarding. Sekiro is just too hard with almost no reward. Frustration is enormous.

Don't do that to yours nervous system. After every session of the game you may feel like a zombie or a person after a brain damage of some sort. Milliseconds count so if you have any casual TV,

Milliseconds count so if you have any casual TV, don't even start to play. When you attempt to move, you will die before it will take an effect on the screen.

I'm quite upset that From Software waste this game to pleased just some freaks out there. Some say that this is just a "freedom" of artist to create their work. That's true, but thanks to the mutual freedom - now I know that I will think twice before I consider to buy any new From Software game.
  69. Mar 28, 2019
    Если коротко, ждал DS3 про Японию, вышел Hitman's Creed may Cry с примитивным стелсом от ребят, которые полжизни делали souls-игры (отсюда и "костры", и кастрированные "души", и немножко интерфейса, и разбросанные по миру подсвеченные предметы). На убийство боссов максимально пофигу (в souls-like игре-то!). Переоцененная поделка, совершенно не ясно, за что получившая такие высокие баллы.Если коротко, ждал DS3 про Японию, вышел Hitman's Creed may Cry с примитивным стелсом от ребят, которые полжизни делали souls-игры (отсюда и "костры", и кастрированные "души", и немножко интерфейса, и разбросанные по миру подсвеченные предметы). На убийство боссов максимально пофигу (в souls-like игре-то!). Переоцененная поделка, совершенно не ясно, за что получившая такие высокие баллы. Хотя, если людям от Sekiro нужен был рескин костров из DS, наличие боссов и Миядзаки-сюжет, то конечно это для них 10/10. Для меня же это как если бы взяли DS3 и вырезали из него половину того, за что я его полюбил. Expand
  70. Mar 26, 2019
    Sekiro is a great addition to Bloodborne and the Souls series. Mastering the combat and stealth system is fun. Thanks to FromSoftware for this wonderful masterpiece, Sekiro is awesome!
  71. Mar 29, 2019
    Pre-release promotion material and official change of genre somehow enwrapped me into believing that Sekiro might indeed be something different from Souls series. Thankfully it was an illusion: like predecessors, Sekiro is all about combat and exploration. Though not in classical ratio.

The genre is ‘action-adventure’ now but there are some important remnants of RPGs. ‘Souls’ are now experience and money. Half of the both exp and money is irreversibly lost upon death. Exp goes into skill points needed to buy abilities: passive, conditional and active. Money is needed to trade and to upgrade prosthetic arm. Prosthetic arm is fitted with multiple tools that have numerous upgrades costing randomly dropped materials, so we can label prosthetic arm as a loose imitation of equipment progression. Character development simplified into two stats: vitalily, upgradeable by Prayer Beads found in the world, and attack power, increased upon defeating bosses. The last part is ‘healing gourd’ aka estus flask, serving and upgradeable in absolutely same manner as in DS2 and DS3. As you can see, aside from lacking of character builds, Sekiro is as RPG as DSs were RPGs (can DSs be called RPGs is another question), especially given the fact that Sekiro is still about that “think up the story yourself”, weird oddities and hidden pseudo quests.

The problem is that the journey of taciturn shinobi Wolf in service of young lord Kuro, whose blood can bestow immortality, is plainly *less* that of any soulsborne game. It comes from two objective factors. First, and more crucial one, is limitation of the setting. It is totally understandable but still regrettable that feudal Japan, XVI age, cannot provide the same grandiose and contrast locations that purely fictional world can. I mean, typical Japanese castle filled with typical japanese houses? Snowy mountains leading to them? Grass fields? Sakuras? Too *plain*, especially compared to DS1. The only two locations that surprised me were Sunken Valley and Ashina Depths. And not because it was something unseen before, but because it was unexpected. The second factor is above mention lack of material gain in exploration. Prayer beads, gourd seeds, 8-9 tools and occasional story item is comprehensive list of worth finds. How much shorter is it compared to predecessors? (Well, note for the new players - it’s still better than countless generic text/audio logs or coins/vases/masks/ships/cups/..., which is somehow predominant gameplay device nowadays). But still, the world is seamless, big and beautiful, all in good old traditions. The ability to fall from high heights and hook oneself to distant cliffs is breathtaking. From Software was afraid to fail vertical level design but they managed it well. So is it worth exploring? Yes. Is it good? Yes. Is it the best? Not at all.

Now for the funny part: combat. Let’s lay bare few bitter truths first: combat arts are useless, prosthetic tools are useless, stealth is a joke. By useless I mean low percentage of useful tools/arts, and complete unnecessity to use them. Stealth is helpful (especially as a first strike to mini-bosses) but secondary: if they removed it, no one would have noticed. It all comes down to deflections. You and your opponent have posture bars that is filled upon taking damage, guarding (blocking) or when your opponent timely guard your attack aka deflect. When enemy’s bar fills up shinobi is allowed to execute deathblow which instantly decacipate opponent (bosses requires several deathblows). When shinobi’s bar fills up he is stunned briefly. You still have your dodges but they will do you much less good than in DSs. Well, actually dodges is essential part of hit’n’run tactics to kill things (which is, by the way, the only path to success on higher difficulties) but my point is that deflections are the bliss. Miyazaki stated his intention was to capture the feel of "swords clashing" and it’s right here, just as he said. You attack and you deflect. Yes, it’s reflexes, yes, it’s QTE, like many player already drew comparison, but damn it’s beautiful. The feel is here and it's awesome. The mobility of Sekiro is awesome too. The great three (attack, deflect, dodge) creates a real martial flow.

And yet we cannot toss this sad fact about Sekiro aside: most of the bosses are a reflex trainers. There are no strategic approaches, no use of head brains (unless you’re a hit'n’runner). From Software clearly intended to create a “difficult” game and wasn’t really creative about it. Some bosses are pumped with ridiculously high amount of posture/health and design of some of the others is outrightly horrible (hello, Long-arm Centipede Giraffe). The percent of useless mechanics in the game is unbecoming.

Sekiro is “git gud” game. Exploration is still fun but locked behind reflex combat. Don’t try to be a Shadow unless it is exactly what you are looking for.
  72. Mar 31, 2019
    Hitboxes in this masterpiece pathetic. I expected a little more From the Software, everything is in accordance with the classics of dark souls, I'm just tired of running with one sword, of course, there is an additional weapon, but it is still a small variety.
  73. Mar 26, 2019
    I cannot begin to describe how disappointing this game is. Sekiro is a game that gets worse the longer you play and goes for quantity over quality and it shows. the bosses are either forgettable in terms of ease or design, or so frustratingly RNG that it not even worth fighting them. Despite the emphasize on the prosthetic tool the need to grind out items in order to use it makes usingI cannot begin to describe how disappointing this game is. Sekiro is a game that gets worse the longer you play and goes for quantity over quality and it shows. the bosses are either forgettable in terms of ease or design, or so frustratingly RNG that it not even worth fighting them. Despite the emphasize on the prosthetic tool the need to grind out items in order to use it makes using any tools on anything other then a mini boss a complete waste of time and resources. The stealth however is phenomenal, as is the level design, unfortunately with nothing to look forward to this game is a waste of time at best, and a complete ripoff at worst. honestly just buy dark souls 2 if you want 101 bosses , at least some were good in that game. Expand
  74. Apr 7, 2019
    Im a huge from software fan. finished all souls titles and bloodborne on ng+. so i pre-ordered. but sadly i have no fun with this game at all. it feels unbalanced and rushed. the other negative voters describe my own problems with this game rather well. i dont like the fighting system a bit. difficulty is on a simply frustrating level. bosses are bland - as is the world building. none ofIm a huge from software fan. finished all souls titles and bloodborne on ng+. so i pre-ordered. but sadly i have no fun with this game at all. it feels unbalanced and rushed. the other negative voters describe my own problems with this game rather well. i dont like the fighting system a bit. difficulty is on a simply frustrating level. bosses are bland - as is the world building. none of the from software mystery at all. rent before buy. i think about 2% of the world population might enjoy this. the rest wont. its not a masterpiece by any means. dont be fooled. its from software's worst title by far. i cant even believe that its the same team of people who did this and masterpieces like bloodborne. Collapse
  75. Mar 24, 2019
    To be honest, I loved Sekiro's setting, but that is not enough to make me liking this game. I played this game in about 11 hours until I randomly stoped playing, why? The difficulty destroyd my enjoment, aswell my progression was lost all the time when I died. I hate that when you die in the game, it has a impact to the world around you. Is 90 hour game full of frustration really worth theTo be honest, I loved Sekiro's setting, but that is not enough to make me liking this game. I played this game in about 11 hours until I randomly stoped playing, why? The difficulty destroyd my enjoment, aswell my progression was lost all the time when I died. I hate that when you die in the game, it has a impact to the world around you. Is 90 hour game full of frustration really worth the money? I don't think so. This is the last time I buying from devolper (From Software). Expand
  76. Mar 24, 2019
    Eh, I was waiting this game for so long. IMHO, but Sekiro is very boring game and I'll explain why. Locations are of the same type, too many enemies per square meter, constantly knocking at the enemy block to riposte him N-times - it's so bored.
    P.S.
    Sorry for my bad english.
  77. Apr 20, 2019
    Not a game for everyone for sure - you need to be willing to spend hours and hours trying to understand how each boss works and how to overcome them. And do not even try to ask for help in the community, they just mock you and tell you to "git gud". Luckily I did not waste any money on this, but if I listened to all the 10/10 reviews game critics gave this title I'd be just anotherNot a game for everyone for sure - you need to be willing to spend hours and hours trying to understand how each boss works and how to overcome them. And do not even try to ask for help in the community, they just mock you and tell you to "git gud". Luckily I did not waste any money on this, but if I listened to all the 10/10 reviews game critics gave this title I'd be just another frustrated player with 60$ less in my pocket. Expand
  78. Mar 27, 2019
    If I wanted to spend hours of my time suffering without results, I would get a second job in retail, at least I'd get paid. This game is crap compared to other Fromsoftware titles. Very disappointed in the lack of balance in this game. First off, you can only possess one main weapon in the game, so you cannot play the way you want to like in Dark souls or Bloodborne. Secondly, boss fightsIf I wanted to spend hours of my time suffering without results, I would get a second job in retail, at least I'd get paid. This game is crap compared to other Fromsoftware titles. Very disappointed in the lack of balance in this game. First off, you can only possess one main weapon in the game, so you cannot play the way you want to like in Dark souls or Bloodborne. Secondly, boss fights are extremely difficult, long, and unforgiving. They demand perfection during the entire match -you slowly chip away at their health, while one slip up from your character often results in a one-hit-kill. Expand
  79. Apr 15, 2019
    Everything around bosses is cool, the learning, the environment exploration the artistic direction.

But bosses are way to hard and not much people will see half the game. I like dark souls 3 and bloodborne but here there's no way to pass some bosses, no multiplayer, no tricky things. just paring and hitting again and again because, bosses' bars of stun is drained by time. They forgot

They forgot that it's a game and not sure AAA will remain with that kind of standard.
    Most people (probably not the kind who could read this) will never make a third of the game, so they will dislike it.

Give-me a "pass that boss" button and I may finaly enjoy it. but for now it goes on sale.

Remind : most people speaking about games and coming here are hardcore gamers or geeks so notes are mostly biased.
  80. Apr 13, 2019
    Once you get past the fairly above-average art direction, this game is nothing more than Simon... with a flashier outfit. The combat system forces you into very restricted playstyles, and there's not much variety or replayability.
  81. Mar 26, 2019
    very disappointed.
    stupid artificial intelligence, auto closer strikes enemies, too much damage and life. At the same time, the protagonist, master of shinobi, falls from one or two missed punches. Dodges are useless, the enemies get you through them. Same locations. It is not clear what to explore. The game is about nothing at all.
  82. Apr 14, 2019
    I wish I never played this game. I have over 1000 hours in From Soft Games, and this game crushed me, and I am currently recovering from the experience that was this game.

The gameplay and action were great, the story was good. All very true to the spirit of their games. I struggled my way through this game, hoping I would feel great when I beat a boss, or farming for more strength. Instead, I struggled through every boss and area, and felt more and more defeated as I barely beat each boss or challenge.

I had no way to share my struggles with friends, no way to ask for help from others. This game made me feel more lonely than I have in my life. I couldn't chat with friends while I played, or I would die. I couldn't help other friends with their game, because there is no multiplayer. Everything that made all the other From Soft games a great experience, was tossed out the window for this game. You don't feel like you are growing as a skilled gamer, because each new boss is just different mechanic you have to find out how to beat. You spend hours and hours watching what others did to beat a boss, or hours and hours reading how to get every secret in the game. At the end, what are you left with? You don't get to play around with friends, invade other worlds, help other people overcome their current struggle.. All you did was beat a game... In that time, you could have been interacting with family, making yourself better or smarter. Instead, I spent 100 hours figuring out how to click which button at the right time, based on which boss I was having to spend 10 hours learning. I gained no "life meaning" from this game, except that life is a struggle, and when you feel good about beating one part, get ready to feel bad for 10 times longer while you figure out the next part.

From Software is free to do what they want with their creative vision, and I respect that. But this game was 10 parts struggle for every 1 part feeling of success... and at the end of it all, I just realized I could have been doing something so much greater than putting myself through that pain. I will never make the mistake of playing a game in the hopes that I will feel very accomplished after beating it. This is a fool's hope, and I really wish I had my 100 hours back, not to mention I had to pay for the honor of torturing myself.

I love you, FromSoft, but I wish I never played this game. Hopefully one day I will look back and see that this was a growing experience for me. I stopped talking to a lot of friends, put aside other probably important responsibilities, all because I did not want to back down from the challenge that was set before me.
  83. Mar 23, 2019
    It is trying to be too many things at once and doesn't do any of those things justice which sucks hopefully their next game refines what they have done here but this was worth a rental not my 100 bucks.
  84. Aug 17, 2019
    Ok, so the game is beautiful. I loved the game for a few days. Until I got up to about the Hirata Estates. I then realized that I hated it. Yes, Sekiro tried something new and I do not like the changes to the game. The prosthetic arm, for example, is underpowered. Many enemies are overpowered for no reason. And your reward for defeating them? Well, not much. I've read many reviewsOk, so the game is beautiful. I loved the game for a few days. Until I got up to about the Hirata Estates. I then realized that I hated it. Yes, Sekiro tried something new and I do not like the changes to the game. The prosthetic arm, for example, is underpowered. Many enemies are overpowered for no reason. And your reward for defeating them? Well, not much. I've read many reviews that sum up how I feel this game a lot better than anything I can say. It's too difficult and not fun. I don't enjoy this game like I did the SoulsBorne series of games. It is missing the RPG element of the game and it really takes something out of the game . Big step backwards for me. And why am I fighting giant roosters?

Also, I think the rating system was hijacked to give this a 9. There is no way this game deserves a 9. Especially when one of the first boss battles is literally unwinnable and forces you to lose in order to progress the story. Ridiculous!

Level design is repetitive and blocky. Get used to Japanese pagodas in every area. No upgrades, no armor, use the same sword the whole game! What? Ok, you get to eventually upgrade your prosthetics, but it isn't all that helpful.

If you want to play a fun, Souls-like game, try God of War from 2018. Yes, this game really deserves a 9 or 10 out of 10. Unlike Suckiro. How is this even in the same league? FromSoftware and Cracktivision, take notes. This is how you make a fun yet challenging video game. You owe me $60 punks.
  85. Apr 2, 2019
    Not feeling it. It's nice that it is a fresh game from the Demons' Souls/Dark Souls creators, but I don't feel rewarded or satisfied playing this game at all. Most new games that do not offend players with poor performance get a review score bonus simply for being a mediocre, playable game with something marginally "fresh;" I think this is another one.

My advice: wait for Ghost of

My advice: wait for Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh 2, and/or the next From Software title. Or, just find something else to play while we wait for Cyberpunk 2077.
  86. Aug 2, 2019
    I was so ready to love this game and overlook all its flaws, but after forcing myself to finish it, I have to say that it's not very good. There is a disconnect in combat when it's more beneficial to deflect than to attack, and it's a shame because at first the feeling of crossing swords is thrilling. But fairly soon the lack of depth in swordplay is obvious, and all you do is deflectI was so ready to love this game and overlook all its flaws, but after forcing myself to finish it, I have to say that it's not very good. There is a disconnect in combat when it's more beneficial to deflect than to attack, and it's a shame because at first the feeling of crossing swords is thrilling. But fairly soon the lack of depth in swordplay is obvious, and all you do is deflect until you deplete a bar and occasionally dodge.

All the technical flaws from previous From Soft games are present here, but after 10 years it's just not cute anymore. Bad framerates but more importantly bad frame pacing do not gel with this game's fast combat. And although From Soft did a good job of applying its typical Souls aggro range into a neat stealth system, if you fool around you can make the A.I. do some truly stupid things.
  87. Apr 14, 2019
    From Software seems to be using their name to sell games now. This game has such little thought and detail that I'm surprised people like it. I'm glad people like it, although those that do obviously didn't pay much attention. The concept is amazing and some of the mechanics make sense on paper but are executed very poorly. You can see how well some people can manipulate and take advantageFrom Software seems to be using their name to sell games now. This game has such little thought and detail that I'm surprised people like it. I'm glad people like it, although those that do obviously didn't pay much attention. The concept is amazing and some of the mechanics make sense on paper but are executed very poorly. You can see how well some people can manipulate and take advantage of the system and do 30 minute speed runs. While others are completely unable to progress. When you look at the beginning and middle, it's all pretty easy, and once you're experienced, there is zero challenge. The end bosses seem to be the greatest challenge which makes sense but their fights are done extraordinarily poorly. Certain things that make sense to the player do not work in the game. (I'll take one instance of jumping over grabs. Some you can, some you can't. When Isshin grabs you, he kneels down. It is obvious that you SHOULD be able to jump over, but he grabs you even if you're 4 feet above him. Terrible. But once you know, you know.) The game is about memorization, zero skill involved. Not to mention zero replayability. From Software really disappointed me this time around. I guess I won't be preordering their games on announcement anymore - lesson learned. Expand
  88. Apr 15, 2019
    As most are saying, big fan of FromSoft's former games. The challenge of their games has always been offset by a community approach, and is the ONLY reason I played through DS3 through NG+5. If DS had been a solo mission only I'd have stopped playing probably after the first go through. This is where I'm at with Sekiro. It's not a reward that's worth the effort. The grappling hook andAs most are saying, big fan of FromSoft's former games. The challenge of their games has always been offset by a community approach, and is the ONLY reason I played through DS3 through NG+5. If DS had been a solo mission only I'd have stopped playing probably after the first go through. This is where I'm at with Sekiro. It's not a reward that's worth the effort. The grappling hook and stealth are fun, but compared to Batman and Spiderman type games they fall short of being new or exciting. They did a lot of things right with the game tho. The speed at which you traverse the environment is nice compared to their former titles, much more fluid and fast feeling. The area's are beautiful, and the buildings and clothing are really cool looking. In fact, because of the amount of detail, there has been a lot of people not on 4k or super great computers having issues with framerate. Easy fix on PC, not so much on console. The fight mechanics are so close to being really fun. The deflect mechanic in particular, it's easy to do and hard to master. The action on screen versus the button press was made just a little off. And trying with 3 controllers, block just doesn't come up sometimes. If they didn't do this, everyone would be deflect masters and the game would not be so punishing. It feels like a cheap way of upping the difficulty. As does a lot of the bosses dropping target and Sekiro suddenly facing the wrong way and having a boss that can 1-2 hit kill landing directly behind you. Some of them are frantic. One of my absolute largest beefs with this game is the divergence of game play versus boss fights. Traversing through an area using stealth is all well and good, feels very 'shinobi', which seems to be the point of the game, but all that is useless against the bosses. In several of the fights you're in a tiny area locked behind magic fog once again and none of the game play has prepared you for the fight. There were no minions along the way that mimicked the uber moves of the bosses, no tactics really that make you feel like, ok, I've been learning this and now it's test time. The game is hard, we all knew it would be. But there's difficult with reward and without reward. This is without reward. With only 2 exceptions every boss I've finally managed to beat made me turn off the game and go do something else because I'd had enough. Sometimes in DS3 I would go back a little ways after a challenging boss/area, throw down a soap stone, help someone else out or party up with a friend just to mess around in the world and try new things out. Which was also a nice way to replay bosses that were fun. There's none of that here. It's you, alone, in a room playing a single player game that is coded cheaply to make it more challenging than it actually is through timing and engorged hit boxes. I was super excited for this title, preordered months ago, and now after beating Shinobi Owl I'm not going to bother finishing the game. I simply don't care to put any more time into it as it is unrewarding. The allure of 'seeing all the endings' is also an outdated method of getting people to play more. I would say to anyone interested prepare to play alone, be challenged, and if you can't connect with the deflect timing quickly you're in for a rough ride, as you'll likely sneak around areas feeling like you're getting better and then end up face to face with things you can't hide from. If you can find reward from it, great. I envy you! Expand
  89. Apr 19, 2019
    Sekiro is a lazy game compared to its predecessors. I played Demons Souls, all the Dark Souls and Bloodbourne. Loved all of them though Bloodbourne less than the Dark Souls games. Sekiro is a dumbed down version of Dark Souls and Bloodbourne. No levels, no builds and one weapon.

The game is Bloodbourne's focus on aggression, only on steroids. If you prefer the aggression of Bloodbourne to the more defensive and tactical nature of Dark Souls, then you'll probably love Sekiro. If you prefer Dark Souls to Bloodbourne, this game will likely prove disappointing and annoying.

The Good:
    The music and sound are good. The sound effect of clanging swords is great. The voice acting is good. Some of the particle effects are good. Anytime something is on fire it looks great. Controls are mostly good with some exceptions. World design and connectivity are good, but not as good as past games. Framerate is good as are the animations.

The Bad:
    Everything is very samey. There are not the variety of bosses that the previous games had - the ones here are generally very similar. Encounters mostly come down to L1 parry if the posture bar builds fast, or run around and attack during the times they are open to attack if the posture bar builds slow. The prosthetic tools feel like they were added because the dev team realized how one dimensional the gameplay is. Most of them are gimmicky for one specific use, while only a few are useful in many situations. The prosthetics do very little damage, so they aren't a separate play style by any means. The overall game design is very inflexible (particularly compared to other From games). They expect the player to play within very narrow parameters. Its a weird situation because you'll know you exactly what you are meant to do, but you won't always be able to execute successfully for a variety of reasons. The gameplay is very twitch based and reflex sensitive. Some will like this, but it makes the game harder for older players whose reflexes are slowing.

The stealth feels clumsily implemented. It's as if the devs included stealth out of a sense of obligation due to this being a ninja game, but they didn't really want to take it very far. The only purpose stealth really serves is to make traversing the levels slightly less annoying and in knocking one life bar off of minibosses.

The worst sin of the game is that minibosses and bosses are repeated all of the time. You will fight the same samurai and ninja minibosses god knows how many times. You will fight repeats of most of the bosses, not just once but many times. You fight one boss five times. You fight a variant of another boss 4 times. The majority of the bosses and virtually all of the minibosses are copy/pasted later in the game. It's a cynical, lazy way to add content to the game and I can't believe people aren't mad about this.

Graphics, textures in particular, are poor to mediocre. This game has a lot of blurry textures to the point where it sometimes looks like a PS3 game. In general, the game lacks a sharpness in the graphics department. The camera in this game is atrocious, as is the lock-on system. Get near a wall and you'll lose lock and then have to relocate the enemy. This generally happens during minibosses and bosses. FromSoft seems to have designed a few encounters around these failures. One miniboss in particular is placed in a room so small that the camera and lock-on are constantly a problem. Very cynical game design.

The game is an exercise in tedium. Almost everything about the game is tedious. Enemy placement in levels is designed to be as annoying as possible. Many of the minibosses are surrounded by 5-10 trash enemies that have to be cleared before each attempt on the miniboss. Many of the bosses are not very engaging due to the one dimensional emphasis on parrying. All of the bosses have multiple health bars. Then some have three, while other encounters have a 2 health bar boss and then a sidekick with a third health bar.

All FromSoft games are difficult, but this one lacks the pressure release valves that the previous entries had in the form of coop and leveling. Increasing attributes occurs via beating bosses, so there is no way to powerlevel if a boss proves difficult. There is no coop to help with bosses you're stuck on. Some will view this as a positive, but it greatly restricts the accessibility of the game to the non-hardcore gamer.

Previous FromSoft games drove me crazy, but I felt a huge sense of accomplishment when I beat a boss. In this game, the bosses drove me crazy, but there was very little sense of accomplishment upon beating one. I mostly felt relief at moving on to something else, almost like I finished a chore. I am extremely disappointed with this offering. It is not up to From's lofty standard.
  90. Jul 29, 2019
    Dear Hidetaka Miyazaki,
    Dear Hidetaka Miyazaki,
    You certainly do have your talents, but please don’t get too puffed up. Believe it or not, we’re well aware you can make an extremely hard game, in this case, nearly unplayable game, but try to understand you don’t need too much intelligence to do that. To tell a story that will touch people’s hearts though, you do, therefore I advise you come up with a different strategy to visualize your ideas, however abstract they are, instead of remaking the same game over and over again. I’m sorry to be the one to ruin this for you, but you can in fact make a bad game, as opposed to your twitter post, because with this effort you lost a lot of Souls funs who might not be coming back on the first day Elden Ring is released, including myself. And I don’t care whether it’s George Martin or whoever you’re teamed up with for the next game.
    I’m rating Sekiro 0 out of 10, because most of it is purely a potboiler.
  91. Mar 26, 2019
    Nice perfect hard souls with new ways and options and the lists not completeed it’s really new experience with conservative on taste of souls am ready enjoying the hard time like the first day of demon souls
  92. Apr 11, 2019
    The most frustrating part about Sekiro isn’t the tedious combat or the numerous missed opportunities for greatness, it’s the fact that this is an unlikable game that most people will desperately WANT to enjoy. FromSoftware has delivered some amazing action RPGs in the past, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice resembles those games enough to evoke an immediate affinity. You’ll want to like thisThe most frustrating part about Sekiro isn’t the tedious combat or the numerous missed opportunities for greatness, it’s the fact that this is an unlikable game that most people will desperately WANT to enjoy. FromSoftware has delivered some amazing action RPGs in the past, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice resembles those games enough to evoke an immediate affinity. You’ll want to like this game, you’ll tell yourself that you’re having fun. Even as you slog through the mediocre, tedious gameplay, you’ll try to convince yourself that this game is just as good as (if not better than) From’s other Soulsborne games. For some people this will true, but for many the game’s numerous shortcomings and regressive elements, combined with some truly punishing difficulty, will make for a singularly unenjoyable experience that no amount of FromSoftware magic can overcome. Sekiro is a frustrating game, not because it’s hard, but because it’s a mediocre game surrounded by elements of a great game. Like wax fruit, pretty to look at, but don’t try to consume it. Expand
  93. Mar 22, 2019
    Ok so first of all, the game I guess looks great but I cant really say anything on that matter cause my pc is trash and only get 30 fps on low so whatever.

Second, this game is really made by the developers of Darksouls and BloodBorn? Beacouse It looks like it was made by someone who looked at them make it and said: yap, Im a soulBorne Developer now. The game it's challenging but not

The game it's challenging but not in a satisfactory way, same loose currency mechanics but without recovery chance, so if you loose it, you loose it all and does it take a lot more to farm than in darksouls.

The mechanics aren't new either, same counter concept from darksouls and the usefullness of BloodBorne, you need to use it to progress and, honestly, its a mess. The game tells you that you 'can' counter attacks which would be nice if it tould you to when, how and which attacks.

In darksouls weapon wielding enemies have only heavy and light attacks which can be distinguished and in bloodborne the counter just serves as a health mechanic to regain damage and retaliate enemies, well, here its a inbred of the two, you use it to counter but its just like a normal attack toward the enemy 'balance bar', the thing is, if the enemies did not have a unbrekable guard that makes them near impossible to slash trough, the mechanic of counter would be unnecesarie, and forget about using it in collosal enemies, roll arround like in darksouls but without invicibility frames or a decent distance, basically just a placebo to make your enemy in mid air somehow turn in an angle of 180 grades towards you, like a plane, a **** plane.

But huh boi it is not the thing that ticks me of the most. The thing I hate the most its : The. ****. Looting. Button.
    Who the **** thought this was a good idea? You **** mix everything from the soulbournes except the auto loot? Just expect someone in focus having to deal with 4 enemies, 2 projectiles and a low health bar and then remember to press a **** button for 1 second to loot everything in a mid-short distance, which is silly beacouse, you know, this game has platforming and that means that usually you go long distances in a matter of seconds, and having made it half way trought the level and remember you forgot to loot your enemies, its not a good feeling.

This game has made me angry, but **** deperate, every single thing, to the enemies that require certain modifications to made them psychologicaly posible to pass, the stupid looting system and the explanations that are **** **** I had to figure on my own how to **** dash, evade the uncounterable attacks and even had to **** look up the button for looting on internet.

I would give it a **** 4, but the artwork and scenarios are so pretty that I would feel asahmed to not acknowledge these people that did their job correctly
  94. Mar 24, 2019
    I would vote for minus score if i could, this game is not fun !
    Stay away from it if you want to invest time in something that makes you happy, disgusting!
  95. Apr 19, 2019
    The crappy camera will kill you a lot. Its a small game, demo size. About a quarter of the length of Dark Souls. Bad sound. Low frame rate. No environmental variety. Terrible game.
  96. Mar 23, 2019
    WARNING: DO NOT EVEN TOUCH THIS GAME IF YOU CAN BARELY SOLO "BLOODBORNE" IN THE HARDEST DIFFICULTY.
    This game is awfully hard. Perhaps one of the hardest games of the decade. You need ALOT of dying and practicing and positioning to learn the pattern of the enemies, and it takes forever to bring down a foe while they can simply crush you like a poorly built sand castle. Accompanied by the speedy combat system, you are going to experience waves of stomach hurting and hair pulling situations. In exchange, the sense of accomplishment is immeasurable when you beat a boss.

So is this game FUN? Generally, because of the punishing difficulty, NOT REALLY.
    BUT, the combat itself is superbly entertaining and you will find your self sweating your hands over hours after playing SEKIRO. If you are a die hard Action Gamer that like to play any game from the hardest difficulty, this IS your Game. Else, Just skip this for your own sake.
  97. Mar 27, 2019
    Я бы хотел поставить хорошую оценку, хотел бы посоветовать в нее поиграть, но только не на пс4, особенно если у вас не пс4 про.
    Это просто ужасно, речь идет даже не о 30 фпс, а скорее о 20, а если говорить о битвах с боссами, то это просто не играбельно. Вы просто не можете нормально играть, потому что игра не отзывается на управление так, как нужно, инпут лаг доходит до половины секунды, не смотря на то, что вы видите атаку противника, вы знаете что с ней делать, но вы просто ничего не можете предпринять, потому что игра лагает. Если вы раздумываете брать игру или нет, и у вас есть выбор пс4 или ПК, то не задумывайтесь, берите на ПК, ведь требования для нее очень низкие.
    Очень жаль, не так часто выходит игра, которая так затягивает, надеюсь в будущем хоть как то починят патчами, а пока что только 4/10, только за ужасную оптимизацию под пс4.

UPD: Прошла неделя, и в игре где довольно много багов и ужасная оптимизация ноль патчей, НОЛЬ, я повторю, ноль. По этому меняю оценку на 1/10. Я разочаровался в from software. Не думаю, что буду покупать их продукты в будущем.
  98. Mar 26, 2019
    Bad physics. Sub par graphics. Gameplay that's way too niche with an equally niche difficulty to boot. A big nope from me.
  99. May 10, 2019
    I was anticipating a sneak/attack game with the fighting refinement that has become synonymous with From Soft. Ultimately, I am disappointed with the lazy level design, the fighting system that completely breaks down during two or three boss battles and the complete disregard for balance. It will be the first From Soft game I sell back because of one simple concept - games should be fun.I was anticipating a sneak/attack game with the fighting refinement that has become synonymous with From Soft. Ultimately, I am disappointed with the lazy level design, the fighting system that completely breaks down during two or three boss battles and the complete disregard for balance. It will be the first From Soft game I sell back because of one simple concept - games should be fun. It plays like the developers are trying to one-up themselves and instead of making a hard, but awesome game, they make an easy game with a couple of extra hard choke points to stall players... If they wanted to frustrate players, well done. If they wanted to make a game that would get rave reviews because of a polished and relatively accessible first few hours of game-play, well done. If they wanted to recreate the magic of DS, they failed. If they wanted to make a fun game, they failed. Expand
  100. Apr 25, 2019
    Extremely disapointed. Its a repetitive boss grind game with a boring character and a boring lore in a boring world. How could From Software gone so wrong after all those lovely souls games? I wanted to love it but im shocked of this failure. Its a game for masochists not for people who love fun games.
  101. Apr 7, 2019

1. May 15, 2019
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an enjoyable, yet deeply challenging game. It's not really a Dark Souls with samurais game, but whether or not you enjoyed the difficulty level of the battles in Dark Souls will be a good benchmark in gauging how much you'll like Sekiro. If you're persistent, up for a challenge, and don't become frustrated easily, then Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an easy game to recommend.
  2. Apr 28, 2019
    Though Sekiro feels impossibly hard at times, the level of euphoria you experience when delivering a death blow to a tricky boss or when you finally clear a castle grounds of all enemies is almost unparalleled.
  3. Apr 27, 2019
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice succeeds in its incredibly visceral combat and stealth all while being set in an engaging game world. However, its linear character growth options and repetitive combat begin to dull the experience after you get over the initial hump.