5.7

1. Feb 24, 2021
    The single player was ok, the story kept you playing.. Multi-player just blows hard, horrible.

Was so looking forward to this game, but was so disappointed in it.. If it was more like the battlefront flying part of that game, it would of been awesome.. but its not so it kinda just sucks...
  2. Feb 15, 2021
    These people who are giving this game negative reviews are EA employees. They need more games that aren't complete with gambling practices like Battlefront 1 & 2, and one-dimensional linear experiences like Jedi Fallen Order.

This game however has great space combat and customizations that make you feel like you are flying a Starfighter. I also love anything to do with the nostalgia that is so well done. They just need to add more game modes and practice options, maybe more Clone Wars content. Still its a really good game,
  3. Feb 2, 2021
    bad game, no clear hinds how to play and confusing. It's really not fun to play, DO NOT BUY THIS
  4. Jan 31, 2021
    Good game with neat graphics and excellent sound, but some annoying bugs in two instances that didn't allow me to progress further leading to restart the mission again. Wish they had focused more on Single player campaign. But its a fun game overall.
  5. Jan 21, 2021
    This is one of my favorite games ive ever played. Multiplayer is so addicting, gameplay loop is fun, great story. 10/10
  6. Jan 6, 2021
    Невыносимая тоска, ужасная графика, отсутствие харизматиков, вокруг одни говорящие титульно куклы, геймплей однообразен, конфликт сюжета высосан из пальца, номинальный, ходульный. Да ВСЁ здесь номинально. От ВР никаких ощущений погружения. Челюсть от зевков сломать можно. Даже не проходняк - ниже среднего. Так плохо, что её короткий сингл даже в зачёт идёт. Ощущение от сюжета, диалогов,Невыносимая тоска, ужасная графика, отсутствие харизматиков, вокруг одни говорящие титульно куклы, геймплей однообразен, конфликт сюжета высосан из пальца, номинальный, ходульный. Да ВСЁ здесь номинально. От ВР никаких ощущений погружения. Челюсть от зевков сломать можно. Даже не проходняк - ниже среднего. Так плохо, что её короткий сингл даже в зачёт идёт. Ощущение от сюжета, диалогов, геймплея - будто всё к тебе параллельно, а ты как в дымке или за стеклом и всё медленно проплывает, не фиксируясь сознанием. / Играл на PS4VR Expand
  7. Jan 3, 2021
    At some point or another every Star Wars fan has wondered what it would be like to pilot one of the series' iconic starfighters. While there have been plenty of games over the years dedicated to letting you take control of the galaxy far, far away's most notable ships, few have done so with the same level of immersion as Squadrons. With it's highly detailed cockpits and plethora of HUDAt some point or another every Star Wars fan has wondered what it would be like to pilot one of the series' iconic starfighters. While there have been plenty of games over the years dedicated to letting you take control of the galaxy far, far away's most notable ships, few have done so with the same level of immersion as Squadrons. With it's highly detailed cockpits and plethora of HUD options that allow you to turn the experience into a borderline flight simulator should you please, this is the first time players can feel like they're actually sitting in a X-wing or TIE fighter. Particularly if they have VR. However, while a ton of work clearly went into ensuring that piloting feels both authentic and believable, a lack of content means that there isn't enough here to keep players engaged long-term or compliment the amount of depth you can find in the complex systems underneath the hull.

If you're looking to get familiar with the mechanics before jumping into the competitive scene, the single-player campaign is where you're going to want to start as it does a great job of teaching you the various ins and outs of each ship. Unfortunately, that's about all it's good for as while there are a few neat ideas here and there their implementation feels half-baked, making it impossible to hide the fact that it's just a glorified eight-and-a-half hour tutorial at best. Then there are the narrative and writing deficiencies...

Squadrons' story mode tries to sell you on the feeling of being the newest addition to a tight-knit fighter squad by letting you make your own pilot and interact with your AI teammates in-between missions. Your customization options are limited to a handful of pre-made faces though that don't even give you the choice of every race for each gender and conversations with other characters are one-sided affairs where they talk at you because your avatar never speaks. Your battle buddies aren't the most interesting bunch either. They, along with the plot, feel rather inconsequential and small-scale compared to those in the other games you can find in Disney's new EU.

That's not to say there aren't some positives. I did appreciate seeing some of the more creative alien species fill lead roles rather than just being used as mere window dressing like they would anywhere else in the franchise, and getting to witness the conflict from the perspectives of both the Empire and the New Republic was a breath of fresh air. In fact, I'd say it's the mission structure that really brings the offline portion of the package down. With few exceptions every stage plays out exactly the same way with you awkwardly flying around in circles trying to target enemy fighters before destroying a bigger ship or two after they're all gone. It's a very noticeable loop that not even the beautiful space environments can hide.

Multiplayer fares a bit better. Matches provide the kind of arcade style aerial dogfighting action I had hoped for in Battlefront II, while still allowing the depth and intricacies of the flight and combat systems to shine through. Which is why it's such a shame it doesn't offer more to do. There are only two modes. One a standard 5v5 team deathmatch and the other an objective based battle where the goal is to rack up enough kills to get a shot at the opposing side's flagships. Both are fun, but given that's all there is the game has a serious issue with longevity. Something that isn't helped by a shallow progression system that allows you to craft an ideal loadout for your playstyle early on that you'll never need to change, leaving you with nothing but cosmetics you don't even really get to see while playing due to the first-person perspective to chase from then on out. It gets old far too quickly.

I can't heap enough praise on how good it feels to fly these much loved Star Wars vehicles. I just wish there had been a bigger game built around them. With so little content I can't help but wonder if this might not have been better off as a virtual reality exclusive, as due to the relative newness of the technology VR has been able to get away with delivering products that are more experience over substance. On hardware where we've come to expect a bit more, Squadrons simply fails to deliver enough to demand consumer's attention no matter how close it comes to delivering the fan base's dream starfighter game. It does at least provide an incredible foundation for EA and developer Motive Studios to build on.

6.5/10
  8. Jan 2, 2021
    While a great idea in theory, its execution of a Star Wars space fighter game is terrible.
    There is no grand campaign or custom sandbox or couch co-op. It's a very short linear game.
    The characters are unlikable and certain choices were made with them clearly at the last minute which hurts their development as it feels so unnatural and forced.

Next time let us make our own character.
  9. Jan 1, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You fly around and shoot stuff. Zipping to and fro your enemy. It's terrible. Expand
  10. Dec 30, 2020
    The story is pretty mediocre, but the characters are pretty great. Of course, the gameplay is amazing, with the first-person POV really puts you in the seat of an X-Wing or a TIE Fighter. The sound design is on point, as with every other Star Wars media. Also, the complicated controls adds a layer of satisfying difficulty to the game. However, as with every space combat game, you could goThe story is pretty mediocre, but the characters are pretty great. Of course, the gameplay is amazing, with the first-person POV really puts you in the seat of an X-Wing or a TIE Fighter. The sound design is on point, as with every other Star Wars media. Also, the complicated controls adds a layer of satisfying difficulty to the game. However, as with every space combat game, you could go in circles with your opponent trying to shoot each other. Expand
  11. Dec 27, 2020
    Controls for HOTAS are all over the place, showing key numbers that don't exist. Trying to set features to certain keys by mouse changes control layout to keyboard/mouse. It's basically impossible to remap joystick controls in the menu - so I simply cannot play. How can you botch flight controls so badly?! Throttle is inverted and located on a tiny slider ON my friggin THROTTLE whichControls for HOTAS are all over the place, showing key numbers that don't exist. Trying to set features to certain keys by mouse changes control layout to keyboard/mouse. It's basically impossible to remap joystick controls in the menu - so I simply cannot play. How can you botch flight controls so badly?! Throttle is inverted and located on a tiny slider ON my friggin THROTTLE which doesn't do a thing!!! You had ONE job - and you blew it Expand
  12. Oct 18, 2020
    This game could habe been a great game for VR, but it isn‘t. The cutscenes are pre-rendered videos with many compression artifacts, thats just a shame. Also in VR the cutscenes are not stereoscopic ... why not? It would be very easy to do that. The game itself feels really bad in VR, the resolution is one of the badest I’ve ever seen on PSVR, just the cockpit looks good. It could have beenThis game could habe been a great game for VR, but it isn‘t. The cutscenes are pre-rendered videos with many compression artifacts, thats just a shame. Also in VR the cutscenes are not stereoscopic ... why not? It would be very easy to do that. The game itself feels really bad in VR, the resolution is one of the badest I’ve ever seen on PSVR, just the cockpit looks good. It could have been such a good game ... I‘m pretty sad about that.

Edit: +1 for removing compression artifacts

Edit: +1 for adding story experience in VR and more content
  13. Dec 15, 2020
    This game had a phenomenal amount of potential to place you in the thick of your dream Star Wars scenario; instead, it’s a constant struggle to ignore the weak, ineffectual characters who were clearly designed by committee as opposed to any sort of unified (or single) vision. This is before we even get onto the redundant customisation, buggy action and convoluted controls...

Firstly on

Firstly on the characters, there appears to have been a deliberate attempt to avoid making anyone truly good or evil, and it’s totally fine to blur this line as long as the characters themselves are charismatic in some manner (they aren’t). Every single crew member is both bored and boring in their role within the story. It feels more like taking part in space battles with some corporate office colleagues on a “fun” work day out, as opposed to a crew of experienced and battle-hardened ace pilots. The game has managed to make the entire cast very diverse AND YET all somehow the exact same in terms of personality, to the point that everyone is absolutely forgettable - a bunch of mild-mannered, polite, quietly spoken jobsworths. I PLAY GAMES TO ESCAPE THESE PEOPLE!

Onto the gameplay itself, which is brilliant...sometimes...under certain circumstances...I think. It certainly feels great sitting in the cockpit and looking around, and when the action is light it all feels controlled and slick. However, as soon as multiple enemies turn up, it descends into an anarchic blend of thrashing around, trying in vain to cycle through enemies and bumping into things whilst the voiceovers shout the same pointless drivel over and over. The controls probably feel great with a keyboard and mouse, but on a PS4 controller it’s more of a lucky combination of button-mashing / praying. I also witnessed a fair amount of ships stalling and glitching, and the game itself crashed on me once or twice after just a couple of missions.

Finally, I was really, REALLY looking forward to customising my own character and my ship, but the game renders this fun bit of personalisation totally useless, since the entire experience is first-person - I’ll never get to peek around the ship or look into the cockpit, gutted!

If I could, I’d get a refund on this game, but since I have already missed that window of opportunity I will instead trudge through the remaining missions, imagining I’m surrounded by charismatic heroes and villains instead of my usual 9-5 coworkers in jumpsuits...and I’ll be sticking it on Story Mode to get through it ASAP.

Swing and a miss. Don’t let the glowing official reviews fool you on this one.
  14. Dec 14, 2020
    El juego podría haber sido mucho mejor, la campaña está bien pero algo repetitiva, el multijugador entretenido pero con muy pocos modos de juego. Los escenarios están increíbles y muy bien ambientados aunque podrían haberlo aprovechado mejor. La personalización de ambos bandos está aceptable con muchos guiños a lo largo de la saga.
  15. Dec 13, 2020
    I loved tie fighter on PC as a kid. This is the next best thing. Hits a great balance between sim and arcade. They could have done a lot more with the story dynamics. Also have not done multiplayer yet; my expectations are not that high fir it though.
  16. Dec 11, 2020
    I'm updating my review because I actually ended up enjoying this game considering the $20 I paid for it. The controls are bizarre (Why this doesn't use a single stick to steer when it shows cutscenes of pilots steering with a single stick, I will never know) but I eventually got used to them, and a masterpiece this is not, but maybe this a fun three hours that you can have if you'reI'm updating my review because I actually ended up enjoying this game considering the $20 I paid for it. The controls are bizarre (Why this doesn't use a single stick to steer when it shows cutscenes of pilots steering with a single stick, I will never know) but I eventually got used to them, and a masterpiece this is not, but maybe this a fun three hours that you can have if you're looking to scratch a Star Wars itch like I was. Expand
  17. Dec 11, 2020
    Most missions come down to chasing enemy fighters. And all the cool cinematic moments happen in pre-rendered cinematic, so it feels like you've been enlisted as the pilot for the most boring parts of the campaign. I regret the purchase.
  18. Dec 3, 2020
    Star Wars Squadrons has an uninspired and irritating single-player campaign. It's Disney Star Wars now, of course, so if you weren't a fan of the recent Star Wars movies you'll find the more of the same bad writing and predictably annoying characters on display here. There are a couple of good missions, but it only really serves as a tutorial to introduce you to each of the flyable ships.Star Wars Squadrons has an uninspired and irritating single-player campaign. It's Disney Star Wars now, of course, so if you weren't a fan of the recent Star Wars movies you'll find the more of the same bad writing and predictably annoying characters on display here. There are a couple of good missions, but it only really serves as a tutorial to introduce you to each of the flyable ships. It is a shame though, since it is clear that a large part of the game's budget has gone into this when it would have been much better spent on the game's multiplayer.

The multiplayer is a different beast altogether. In VR, this is the ultimate Star Wars experience. Real Star Wars from back when Star Wars was awesome. The cockpits are breathtaking in their realism and the gameplay is pitch perfect. It's incredibly challenging, and so much fun!

Without VR, this is a 6/10 game. The single-player campaign really lets it down. However, if you have PSVR and a HOTAS, then this is a 10/10 must-own game. There really is nothing else like it on the Playstation.
  19. Nov 22, 2020
    This is a great game. It reall makes you feel like starfighter pilot weather or not you're on the New Republic or The Empire. The mechanics are great, even though there are only two multiplayer gamemodes they are really fun and immersve, and the story mode is short but has a great way of telling players the controlls and moves they can do throughout the game. I am very exited for theThis is a great game. It reall makes you feel like starfighter pilot weather or not you're on the New Republic or The Empire. The mechanics are great, even though there are only two multiplayer gamemodes they are really fun and immersve, and the story mode is short but has a great way of telling players the controlls and moves they can do throughout the game. I am very exited for the next two updates coming out. Expand
  20. Oct 5, 2020
    This is the 1st game in my life I have returned to the shop,it is pretty much unplayable thanks to a bug in the 1st mission,I don't even know how it has been reviewed as plenty of people on all platforms experience it.
    It also has a weird general feeling with male or female choice called A and B and no Caucasian/white options for your character.
  21. Nov 13, 2020
    Overall, this game is a great experience in VR, especially for all the Star Wars enthusiasts who have dreamed of flying an X-Wing for years. There are a lot of great things to say about Squadrons. The gameplay feels awesome and refreshing in VR. The level designs are great and ship selection gives you plenty of options to approach each mission. However, there are some gripes that preventOverall, this game is a great experience in VR, especially for all the Star Wars enthusiasts who have dreamed of flying an X-Wing for years. There are a lot of great things to say about Squadrons. The gameplay feels awesome and refreshing in VR. The level designs are great and ship selection gives you plenty of options to approach each mission. However, there are some gripes that prevent this title from being a 10/10.

Graphics: 8/10
    They aren't the greatest graphics I've seen in VR, but it's hard to complain when you're literally stepping into another galaxy as you slide your headset on. Everything looks mostly great, but I think we are still waiting for that VR game that blows our minds graphically.

Narrative: 4.5/10
    There's really nothing groundbreaking here, and the story is fairly predictable on either side. But it was cool to play for both the Rebels and the Empire as they each attempted to counter the other's last move.

Protagonist: 3/10
    It was cool to create your characters in the beginning, despite the limited options. I had the most fun coming up with a "Star Wars-ish" name for my pilot. Further than that, there was really no point any of it. Your character doesn't really speak beyond a few quips during combat and you don't see your character once after creation. Very disappointing.

Characters/Interactions: 5/10
    BLEHHH. Save for one (maybe 2) side character that actually adds to the story, the rest of the NPCs are just straight garbage with pointless conversations that hold absolutely zero weight.

Villain: 6/10
    Unimpressive and shallow for the most part. But the fact that we get to play as the "villains" and see their side was pretty cool.

Gameplay: 10/10
    This is where the game really shines. Flying your ship towards a Destroyer and engaging enemies was some of the coolest and most fun I've ever had playing a video game. The controls on the Dualshock take some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it takes the game to a whole new level. Not to mention the drifting.. so freakin awesome! It's a fairly short campaign, but there's plenty of dogfights to experience in the Multiplayer game modes once you are finished.

Overall Score: 6.9/10
  22. Nov 9, 2020
    A childhood dream come true! Absolutely brilliant. Drifting alone makes it a 10.
  23. Nov 6, 2020
    A very fun and unique space combat MOBA. The worst of the launch day ranking and balance issues have been resolved, now onward to space victory.
  24. Nov 5, 2020
    Really good space shooter, best star wars game ever, really well done EA! Amazing in VR as well. Ignore the haters, its just a fun game.
  25. Nov 4, 2020
    It is not what i expected. Quite dull cosmosim. Al you do it chase the bloody target. When you aqure it in view you have 2-3 seconds to shoot then he flyes pass you (behind you) you start searching again, get target in view and 2-3 sec for shooting then everytnig repeats and this is over and over and over again...
  26. Nov 4, 2020
    It’s a great game with extremely good gameplay a pretty good campaign that helps you learn the game well the multiplayer is quite fun and there’s a lot of nice nods and references to the bigger Star Wars universe. Also some of the customization options are amazing (G O N K)
  27. Nov 4, 2020
    I'll be honest, this game is pretty lackluster and boring. I fondly remember playing the old Gamecube games in the series and those were actually fun and enjoyable. I ended up quitting after a few missions in this one because of glitches and an utterly borefest of a story. The characters also suck and the controls are not great either. It seems like a VR game turned into a standard one. II'll be honest, this game is pretty lackluster and boring. I fondly remember playing the old Gamecube games in the series and those were actually fun and enjoyable. I ended up quitting after a few missions in this one because of glitches and an utterly borefest of a story. The characters also suck and the controls are not great either. It seems like a VR game turned into a standard one. I would avoid this one at all costs, unless you're a Star Wars fanatic. Expand
  28. Nov 3, 2020
    I got this game on sale and its ok. Nothing too ground breaking but it's fun. Graphics are on point for 2020 gaming. The story is weak with poor writing and dialogue. Gameplay can be pretty fun, controlling your starfighter is cool but lacks depth. If you can get this game for less than 30 bucks, I'd say give it a go.
  29. Nov 2, 2020
    This is a really good game - and when played in VR, it's basically a dream come true for any Star Wars fan! Don't believe the haters who vote this down for political reasons or whatever. I try not to even read the things they write but from what I get, they complain there are characters there of unclear gender or whatever. But even if you're sensitive about this topic for whatever reason,This is a really good game - and when played in VR, it's basically a dream come true for any Star Wars fan! Don't believe the haters who vote this down for political reasons or whatever. I try not to even read the things they write but from what I get, they complain there are characters there of unclear gender or whatever. But even if you're sensitive about this topic for whatever reason, I played through the story and I don't even know what they are talking about. Nothing is shoved in your face or anything, and tbh, who can know all the genders of all characters in the Star Wars cantina? So these complaints and petitions to "remove these characters from the game" are just completely made up and/or based on lies. So even IF you are from the dark side and would like to annihilate any kind of diversity in species, don't be afraid, even YOU can enjoy this super awesome Star Wars game ;D Expand
  30. Nov 1, 2020
    As a whole, I have really enjoyed this game. There are elements of it that aren't great, such as the VR and HOTAS support. However, this game on VR is one of the most immersive games ever made, and I imagine it will become even more immersive with a HOTAS. The gameplay is nothing short of incredible. If you want to feel like you are flying Galactic Civil war era ships, then I cannotAs a whole, I have really enjoyed this game. There are elements of it that aren't great, such as the VR and HOTAS support. However, this game on VR is one of the most immersive games ever made, and I imagine it will become even more immersive with a HOTAS. The gameplay is nothing short of incredible. If you want to feel like you are flying Galactic Civil war era ships, then I cannot recommend this game enough. Expand
  31. Nov 1, 2020
    The gameplay is pretty fun which is the most important part IMO.
    PC port is also very good, props to EA for getting it right this time.
    It could be better story-wise since they made the empire generic bad guys again and the idea to mix in the empire and rebel campaigns into one didn't really pan out but the single-player is still engaging and fun. Almost deducted a point for that
    The gameplay is pretty fun which is the most important part IMO.
    PC port is also very good, props to EA for getting it right this time.

Almost deducted a point for that republic ending tho.
  32. Nov 1, 2020
    Because Galaxy of Heroes, Dice's Battlefront 1, and Jedi Fallen Order were complete garbage I was scared that this game was going to fail too. However, EA has proven me wrong. Actually, you can tell this game wasn't made by EA because they told Motive to hurry up and create the game just put whatever you want and not update it again. Spectacular game, best space simulator since X-WingBecause Galaxy of Heroes, Dice's Battlefront 1, and Jedi Fallen Order were complete garbage I was scared that this game was going to fail too. However, EA has proven me wrong. Actually, you can tell this game wasn't made by EA because they told Motive to hurry up and create the game just put whatever you want and not update it again. Spectacular game, best space simulator since X-Wing Alliance, only an EA supporter with downvote this review. Expand
  33. Nov 1, 2020
    I honestly really enjoyed this game! If you ignore all of the unwarranted hate from all of the EA haters.
    The campaign is really good and it made me feel attached to the characters and it did a great job in portraying the conflict between the Empire and the New Republic. The multiplayer is challenging and despite some minor bugs is also really good. If you do not want to play against real players you can always play unranked (against A.I bots). In short I really enjoyed the game and I recommend people to buy it
  34. Nov 1, 2020
    I hate this game, utter complete ****. I've been trying to get my money back for this crap since I bought it.
  35. Nov 1, 2020
    Thanks to the great story and very pleasant gameplay, soloists will also have a lot of fun in "Star Wars: Squadrons". Of course the multiplayer part is one of the highlights of the game. Although there are currently only two game modes, the action is never short of action. After all, Electronics Arts completely dispenses with microtransactions. If you like to play in the well-knownThanks to the great story and very pleasant gameplay, soloists will also have a lot of fun in "Star Wars: Squadrons". Of course the multiplayer part is one of the highlights of the game. Although there are currently only two game modes, the action is never short of action. After all, Electronics Arts completely dispenses with microtransactions. If you like to play in the well-known franchise, you should take a look at "Star Wars: Squadrons". It is definitely worth it.

(https://www.playmoregames.de/post/star-wars-squadrons-ps4-im-test)
  36. Oct 31, 2020
    Love it so far . I really do not get the hate in the user comments. The game plays and looks great. I will admit it is not for everyone. For me it hits my nostalgia dead center. Remember the old Tie Fighter and X-Wing games ? I have been having so much fun playing this. The only thing I did not like - was not having a control for 3rd person . Though i think the reasoning has to do with VRLove it so far . I really do not get the hate in the user comments. The game plays and looks great. I will admit it is not for everyone. For me it hits my nostalgia dead center. Remember the old Tie Fighter and X-Wing games ? I have been having so much fun playing this. The only thing I did not like - was not having a control for 3rd person . Though i think the reasoning has to do with VR ( i do not have a setup :/) . I hope we get a sequel in a few years, I really want to play this with my son & daughter when the are old enough . And yes they will get their Star Wars lore education before ! I would say - give this game a chance !! Expand
  37. Oct 29, 2020
    I've played this now on both vanilla PS4 and Pro, and I have to say the Pro version is much much smarter on the space side, with other space craft looking almost photorealistic as you zoom about. Add to that great sounds, and you got a very atmospheric SW game.
    Downside is that there is rather little to actually do, and the flight mechanics are very basic when compared to classic space faring games on PC. So, do not expect much depth to the gameplay. Still, for the cheap price, its ok space flighter, especially since there are very few of those on consoles.
  38. Oct 24, 2020
    Such as disappointment after the surprising hit Jedi Fallen Order, it this is EA.
    The things I liked about the game are the graphics and visuals, amazing game mechanic, the VR that really enhances the experiences, it makes me really want to love the game. However...
    The story campaign was short and boring and the characters were lame as hell, I did not care for any of them. I would've prefer playing as Wedge.
    The game has only two game modes and there is nothing else much to do in this game that it immediately became redundant after two days playing it. Why can I NOT blow up the Death Star or have a heroes vs villain campaign in their respective ships. Why aren't there any planets we know and love from the movies, not the sequels ,in this game. Why can't I fly the millennium falcon? AND WHY DOES IT NOT HAVE THE THIRD-PERSON PRESPECTIVE OPTION? Stuff like this really what I think deserves this low score rating. So much potential but classic EA's pure laziness and the obvious anti white male racism in this game, destroys it.
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron is twice the game I wished this one would be.
  39. Oct 24, 2020
    Lazy, under-developed, disappointing. This is a hastily-developed beta version game that lacks proper mechanics, physics and immersion of a starfighter simulator. Some people say this is the successor to the xwing-tiefighter franchise; not even close. Missions are boring and poorly choreographed, there are certain parts of the battlefield you can't go, trigger events and dialogue messesLazy, under-developed, disappointing. This is a hastily-developed beta version game that lacks proper mechanics, physics and immersion of a starfighter simulator. Some people say this is the successor to the xwing-tiefighter franchise; not even close. Missions are boring and poorly choreographed, there are certain parts of the battlefield you can't go, trigger events and dialogue messes up with your speed and direction, and hangar dialogues are completely unnecessary and very forgettable; so are the characters.

The throne for a worthy xwing-tiefighter successor is still very much empty.
  40. Oct 22, 2020
    Really cool story so far and fun Multiplayer, unfortunately there are no content updates planned, so for ten points it is a little less.
  41. Oct 19, 2020
    its like playing as past white guy in whole universe, there is 8 ships and this game is about to ignore every piece of lore, pure ****
  42. Oct 18, 2020
    It’s giant bag of **** on fire, it’s unbelievable how much that sweeden **** can devastate star wars title. It have ONLY SIX SHIPS!! look at star wars universe, there is like hundreds of ships and who know what more.
    Your squad on both sides imperium/rebels is horribly annoying, botg squads are assembled from: gays, trans and lesbians that can saz nothin more than: I aM lEsBiAn/GaY/TrAnS lOoK aT mE i NeEd YoUr AtTeNtIoN bla bla bla...
    And storz is just garbage...
  43. Oct 17, 2020
    good game, not for cheap haters, and if you don't want to pay 40$ just give 15$ for the EA Vault
  44. Oct 17, 2020
    ...I don't usually play flight games and my expectations for this one was already low to begin with due to it being EA game, but I cautiously bought it because I was desperate for good VR game.

After playing a bit story and then jumping to multiplayer, I was blown away, both literally as my ship exploded and by the fact that it's really good game. This game will keep me occupied for long time.
  45. Oct 16, 2020
    Bland story. Bad match making. In multiplayer you will probably go against teams of people that are there almost 24 hours a day, so good luck scoring a kill as you start on line. Dogfights are not ranked meaning that all the kills doesn't help with you overall standing. A few (and I mean A FEW) offline maps. Graphics and sound design are good. Wait for it to be on a bargain bin.
  46. Oct 15, 2020
    While I’m not much of a fan of the “Star Wars” series, I find that I can’t really escape it. Maybe it’s because I have so many friends that enjoy the series, or maybe it’s because I see so many people talk about it on social media, but I feel like it’s hard to fully ignore it. And lately, it feels like most of what I hear about “Star Wars” is how much the films have been ruined, and howWhile I’m not much of a fan of the “Star Wars” series, I find that I can’t really escape it. Maybe it’s because I have so many friends that enjoy the series, or maybe it’s because I see so many people talk about it on social media, but I feel like it’s hard to fully ignore it. And lately, it feels like most of what I hear about “Star Wars” is how much the films have been ruined, and how the recent entries have been so much worse than the originals. I wouldn’t know, since I don’t watch them, but I’ve gotta say that I’ve been enjoying the recent wave of video games in the “Star Wars” series. Last year’s “Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order” has obviously been the biggest highlight, but a little over a month ago, I also enjoyed my time with “Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series.” “Star Wars: Squadrons,” however, snuck up on me: perhaps it’s because the game was announced in June and released just four months later, but I wasn’t exactly expecting this game for a while. After playing it, though, I was definitely happy with my experience.
    “Star Wars: Squadrons” is quite an immersive game, and the approach it takes to space combat feels excellent. Even though it might take a bit of getting used to, the ship controls are fantastic, and they hit that perfect borderline between being accessible and challenging. I also love the depth and scope of view from within the ship, as while it’s a seemingly minor thing, it made me feel closer to the action than I expected at first. I also think the visual design for the game is pretty great, capturing the aesthetics of “Star Wars” wonderfully to craft lovely space environments that are exciting to explore. The game also features VR support on several versions, and it’s definitely a nice touch: it’s thrilling without feeling too dizzying, and it makes the game feel even more immersive than it already is. It’s perfectly fine without the VR, but it’s certainly a great addition.
    There are definitely a few flaws with the game that hold it back from being as good as it could’ve been. For starters, I wouldn’t say the story is all that captivating. It’s your typical “Star Wars” stuff, and I don’t think it’ll do anything that will actively anger “Star Wars” fans, but it doesn’t do anything to stand out, either. On top of that, the game is pretty short, and while that’s not the worst thing ever given that it costs $40, don’t expect it to be much more than a side game that you can play between other, longer titles. Also, I was a bit disappointed that there wasn’t a lot of content here: beyond the aforementioned short story mode, there’s not a whole lot of modes to enjoy in the multiplayer, and there’s not a huge variation in that component of the game, either. This might be even worse for some, given that the game’s developers recently announced that the game would not be received any post-launch content. While I appreciate that they’re not taking the money-grubbing approach that you might expect given that they’re owned by EA, this is the kind of game that feels like it’s begging for more content, and the fact that it’s not getting that is disappointing.
    Overall, “Star Wars: Squadrons” is an enjoyable, immersive space combat adventure. Yes, it’s flawed, and it probably won’t stand as tall as some of the best games to grace the “Star Wars” name, but it’s definitely a solid adventure that even non-fans of “Star Wars” can find some enjoyment in. And hey, as someone that doesn’t particularly care for the series, if the games can continue to be consistently solid as they have been, that’s all I could really ask for.
    Final rating: 7 out of 10 “Good”
  47. Oct 15, 2020
    Wonderful game. High skill ceiling and fun mechanics. Also increases enjoyment of ship scenes when watching the movies! Cheaper than most games too! Best played in VR.
  48. Oct 14, 2020
    The game is a lot of fun, especially in VR. If you’re looking for an amazing Starfighter experience, one that cements the past Star Wars Starfighter games, then this is it. It has its issues, but I have had nothing but fun playing it. I feel like I’m a pilot when playing.
  49. Oct 14, 2020
    If you aren't playing this in VR you are stuck in the stone age of gaming. I can't tell you enough how much fun this is- to sit in an x-wing cockpit and to turn around and see R2D2 fixing your ship while you see a tie fighter shooting from behind you. This is the future of gaming.

I gave it a 9 because I couldn't help but notice that Kathleen Kennedy's woman empowerment was a HUGE distraction to me. identity politics is getting old.
  50. Oct 14, 2020
    If you've ever played X-Wing Alliance back in the day, then you'll enjoy this game. It's the most immersive Star Wars starfighter game I've seen in a long time. And it's made all the better in VR. My only real critique is the lack of customization when it comes to your pilot and ship skins. Other than that, a solid game overall. Definitely worth the $40 price tag.
  51. Oct 13, 2020
    It's a good game, not a masterpiece but you can buy this game at 36$ more or less (search discounts) in it's releasing date.

Let's see what we have for 36$: -10-12h Of story with some replay value (medals and difficulties) -Multiplayer with tons of replay value; ranks, cool cosmetics, events... -Practice mode, just sit down and enjoy beating up spaceships. (Optional) If you have

Let's see what we have for 36$:

-10-12h Of story with some replay value (medals and difficulties)
    -Multiplayer with tons of replay value; ranks, cool cosmetics, events...
    -Practice mode, just sit down and enjoy beating up spaceships.

(Optional) If you have VR you'll enjoy the mentioned above x10.

And now my personal score:

-Story: 8
    -Characters: 5
    -Gameplay: 10
    -Graphics: 7
    -Multiplayer: 8
    -Content (for it's releasing price): 8.5

(If you had VR i would add 1 point extra because it's an awesome experience)

Conclusion:

I don't now why there are so bad reviews when for the first time in a lot of time we have EA giving us a fully fledged game/experience without ripping our wallets. I could understand Mixed reviews or maybe some negative ones, because of occasional bugs (that i haven't experienced). But this game doesn't deserve 0's, 1's, 2's or 3's (In my opinion those are just hate reviews without being impartial).
    If you love space shooters and star wars buy this game, or if you aren't sure wait a little bit.
  52. Oct 12, 2020
    Really good controls, VR SUPPORT IS SO GOOD!!!! but the multiplayer gets stale, but this is a VR must title. Trust me.
  53. Oct 12, 2020
    I was a fan of X-Wing Alliance and I really love playing this game. Great graphics, well done EA.
  54. Oct 11, 2020
    Oh it’s a great game, when the constant incessant bugs aren’t ruining the whole experience. Game crashes on the goddam prologue. Now I’m on mission 8 and I can’t even complete the level because the game bugs out at the final loading screen. Avoid this game or just buy it used in a few months when they’ve patched everything.
  55. Oct 11, 2020
    I just wanted Starfighter Assault from BF2 fleshed out to a full game. Not forced first person super-serious flight sim.
  56. Oct 11, 2020
    A medio camino entre simulación y arcade, nos encontramos ante un juego exigente en lo jugable del mismo estilo de los x-wing de los años 90 y primeros 2000, en el que debemos fijarnos en el tablero de mandos de la nave para poder jugar correctamente. Su modo Vr es inmersivo y fantástico
  57. Oct 11, 2020
    Даже если не учитывать наличие в игре толерантной "повесточки", то оценить ее на что-то больше чем 0 очень сложно. Да, они сделали кабины истребителей и добавили функционала в них, но во время полета у меня складывалось впечатление, будт-то я не лечу на истребитнле, а плыву на подводной лодке. Истребитель абсолютно ваиный. Графика только ухудшилась, относительно Battlefront 2. И это яДаже если не учитывать наличие в игре толерантной "повесточки", то оценить ее на что-то больше чем 0 очень сложно. Да, они сделали кабины истребителей и добавили функционала в них, но во время полета у меня складывалось впечатление, будт-то я не лечу на истребитнле, а плыву на подводной лодке. Истребитель абсолютно ваиный. Графика только ухудшилась, относительно Battlefront 2. И это я молчу про убогую сюжетную кампанию, персонажи которой абсолютно неинтересны. Expand
  58. Oct 8, 2020
    Pew pew pew pew pew five stars!

I’m having a blast with this game. Riding in the cockpit of some of my favorite Star Wars ships is an amazing experience, especially in VR Scratches the starfighter itch that Battlefront couldn’t quite reach. One of the best Star Wars offerings since the Dark Times.
  59. Oct 11, 2020
    As a huge fan of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, I had great expectations. This game looks and sounds really well done as a AAA (is it one?) title should look and sound like. Also it makes really fun. I can´t comment on the VR experience but I read it´s fantastic. The campaign part is quite boring and uninspired but i was more looking forward to the multiplayer part which is fun.
    Other than that
    Other than that the whole game feels like a mini game with the lack of content and options. EA already stated that there will be no DLC so this explains the low price... I would recommend all players to test it first and make your own thoughts if you really need this great "mini game".
  60. Oct 10, 2020
    As a fan of the Lucasarts sims, this was an unexpected gift, an old school space sim/shooter with a lot of controls and beautiful graphics. I'm playing with throttle and stick and VR and it is amazing. The single-player campaign does a good job of introducing each fighter and the different gameplay elements and is fun. The real meat of the game is the multiplayer dogfights and fleetAs a fan of the Lucasarts sims, this was an unexpected gift, an old school space sim/shooter with a lot of controls and beautiful graphics. I'm playing with throttle and stick and VR and it is amazing. The single-player campaign does a good job of introducing each fighter and the different gameplay elements and is fun. The real meat of the game is the multiplayer dogfights and fleet battles. In these you join a small squad and fight together. Voice communication works well and you can customize your loadout for each mission. The majority of the negative reviews seem to be from people who haven't played the game but are upset that the squads are so diverse, don't worry, you can still play as a white guy. Expand
  61. Oct 9, 2020
    Ta gra jest gównem. Ciągle się coś wypierdala, a sama gra jest nudna jak flaki z olejem.
  62. Oct 8, 2020
    Star Wars: Squadrons is by far one of the most immersive games I have played. The gameplay is smooth and truly puts you in the cockpit making you feel like you are a daring rebel ace or a highly trained Imperial pilot. Being able to manage power into the various subsystems of your fighter is an amazing aspect that can separate a more experienced ace from a new pilot. This is complimentedStar Wars: Squadrons is by far one of the most immersive games I have played. The gameplay is smooth and truly puts you in the cockpit making you feel like you are a daring rebel ace or a highly trained Imperial pilot. Being able to manage power into the various subsystems of your fighter is an amazing aspect that can separate a more experienced ace from a new pilot. This is complimented by the multiple player that allows you to coordinate with your allies to take down your enemies. Coordination is vital as not having a squad member by your side could end in your fighter being an explosion on the side of a Star Destroyer.

The story is in a word fun. At times it just feels like a drawn out tutorial for multiplayer and then acts more like a movie showing me what happened after Return of the Jedi. Answering my questions on what happened to certain characters I began to love after the movies, shows, and even novels. As of right now there are no plans to add additional content for the story mode or multiplayer which is unfortunate as I would love for more starfighter and customizations to be added. However, as the game is right now Pop! Culture Today gives Star Wars: Squadrons a 8/10
  63. Oct 8, 2020
    Absolutely amazing game. the low review score is just people mad simply because it is published by ea. no logic whatsoever. half the people dont even have the game. 10/10 game for me
  64. Oct 8, 2020
    Incredible in VR and miles ahead of BF2 star fighter modes. Campaign is entertaining, and dog fighting is easy to get into, but a challenge to get good at.
  65. Oct 8, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game, amazing mechanics. Story is short but it is a multiplayer focused game. Honestly for 40$ they knocked it out of the park. Expand
  66. Oct 8, 2020
    The game is awesome some other reviews have said what’s positive. Have to go full 10 because of the dweebs rating 0 for a damn agenda. Awesome game and I hope it gets content.
  67. Oct 8, 2020
    It's the best Star Wars game in this videogame generation. The campaign is fast paced, cool and inmersive and the multiplayer is where the game shines: 5vs5 battles with the mission to destroy a huge Star Destroyer or a CR75 frigate.

The game allows you to play in the style you want with hundreds of combinations for each spaceship class... Fighter: Multirole spaceship Bomber: Heavy

Fighter: Multirole spaceship
    Bomber: Heavy duty, attack spaceship
    Interceptor: Fast spaceship
    Support: Teamplay focused

As a counterpart -the only one the game has- it could be more cosmetic customization and some helmets can not be removed in the briefing zone.
    The game also has some minor bugs that can be resolved via update.
    More multiplayer maps would be absolutely awesome, lets hope EA gives a chance with this incredible game. By the way, it's ONLY 40$, amazing price
  68. Oct 8, 2020
    The game isn't built to be played for days like other big titles. If you play more than an hour a day you will obviously burn out and won't enjoy it but If you play one or two matches a day it's a cool, fun game that definitely deserves an 8. It works, doesn't have any noticable bugs, customization is on extreme level, game has ranked game mode and then "have fun" casual game mode soThe game isn't built to be played for days like other big titles. If you play more than an hour a day you will obviously burn out and won't enjoy it but If you play one or two matches a day it's a cool, fun game that definitely deserves an 8. It works, doesn't have any noticable bugs, customization is on extreme level, game has ranked game mode and then "have fun" casual game mode so everyone can have fun in multiplayer not only very skilled pilots. It's very interesting title that shows Motive has a lot of potential for future Star Wars games. Expand
  69. Oct 8, 2020
    This is a great game! Awesome dogfights and fleet battles, in which you will require genuine skill to achieve. This might even be worth getting a VR headset and a HOTAS setup
  70. Oct 8, 2020
    The game itself is enjoyable and fun, with vr it's is amazing!! The story and characters, however are awful. I rarely skip past story scenes but this was just plain rubbish, I lost all interest with the story quite early in and from what I've heard of the rest, I'm quite happy I did so. It's a shame that we had such an enjoyable game ruined by bad writing
  71. Oct 7, 2020
    Interesante pero hasta ahi llega mecanicas buenas pero algo mal ejecutadas al momento de la verdad
  72. Oct 7, 2020
    This game is made for VR. The flying is very slow and so is the aiming, it's like piloting a space boat in the mud. It's okay and easy in the single player mode but online it's frustrating as hell trying to chase people around because turning is so slow. It's a great VR game but a very shallow console game.
  73. Oct 7, 2020
    Nice Mobile Game...
    Or it is not fully done yet and will be better in the future, or I bought a mobile game on PS4
  74. Oct 7, 2020
    Identity politics and agendas have no place in a Star Wars game, production time would’ve been better spent actually crafting a compelling story and fixing the numerous bugs and glitches.
  75. Oct 7, 2020
    I wanted to love this game, unfortunately, it's just a rather shallow experience. If you're looking for a modern X-Wing vs Tie fighter you will be disappointed but if you're looking for an arcadey type' flight sim' you will love it.

If you're after a quick blast with low skill ceiling game then you will probably enjoy it, I'm more of a hardcore flight sim fan so found it lacking. I appreciate the developers trying something 'new' and understand why they went the route they did, but hopefully, they will bring us a true successor to the X-Wing/tie fighter games of old
  76. Oct 6, 2020
    If you play random like every other multiplayer game. You will get beaten down by premade teams of players who know each other.
  77. Oct 6, 2020
    Utterly brilliant game if you've always dreamed of playing a star wars star fighter game. Graphics look insane on the PS4 Pro and a 4K TV and sounds incredible with a good surround sound system. Can be quite a hard learning curve to get used to but if you stick with it you'll find there is alot of fun to be had. Fleet battle is a fun mode for online matches and you can even practice soloUtterly brilliant game if you've always dreamed of playing a star wars star fighter game. Graphics look insane on the PS4 Pro and a 4K TV and sounds incredible with a good surround sound system. Can be quite a hard learning curve to get used to but if you stick with it you'll find there is alot of fun to be had. Fleet battle is a fun mode for online matches and you can even practice solo or coop with others against AI to get yourself ready or just to mill some time. I'm also a big fan of the components mechanic for the different starfighters which allows some good builds to give you the extra edge. Expand
  78. Oct 6, 2020
    Meh, maybe on sale for not worth it for $40. Save yourself and wait for it to go on sale if at all.
  79. Oct 6, 2020
    I got this game only for the single player campaign and it just flat out terrible.

Positives + Star Wars Nostalgia + Graphics and Sound Negative - The writing is absolute garbage. It feels like no more than 30 minutes was spent thinking about the plot and dialogue. The decisions and motivations of the characters come across at the maturity level of a 5 year old. Who thinks this

Positives
    + Star Wars Nostalgia
    + Graphics and Sound

Negative
    - The writing is absolute garbage. It feels like no more than 30 minutes was spent thinking about the plot and dialogue. The decisions and motivations of the characters come across at the maturity level of a 5 year old. Who thinks this way?
    - The missions are incoherent. Much of it appears to be designed as a tutorial for the multiplayer but they somehow manage to leave the player confused. One has no idea how to prioritize anything. The design also appears to be led by someone with major attention deficit disorder.
    - The gameplay is repetitive and tedious, just not fun.

Anyone involved in this product should be embarrassed. The lack of quality control and adult supervision on this game is remarkable. I have no idea why I forced myself to complete the campaign.
  80. Oct 6, 2020
    I'm playing this game with a PSVR headset and a Thrustmaster 4 Hotas flight stick. The only reason I bought this game was for the VR experience. If you have VR and a Hotas then it is so much fun it's ridiculous. This is by far one of the best PSVR experiences to date! The immersion and VR fun factor in this game makes you almost overlook all the negatives. To be able to feel like your in aI'm playing this game with a PSVR headset and a Thrustmaster 4 Hotas flight stick. The only reason I bought this game was for the VR experience. If you have VR and a Hotas then it is so much fun it's ridiculous. This is by far one of the best PSVR experiences to date! The immersion and VR fun factor in this game makes you almost overlook all the negatives. To be able to feel like your in a real cockpit in outer space is just beyond words on how awesome it feels.

The buttons on the Hotas are all mapped wrong but they let you re-map them so once I got everything to my liking then it became really easy and fun to fly. I've read complaints from other Hotas users that they were having issues or that they couldn't connect at all. I'm not having any issues like that with my Hotas so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

If you don't have VR and a Hotas then I highly recommend you not buy this game. I can't even imagine trying to play this on a flat screen with a regular controller. Like others have said, it's the same thing over and over with each mission. Start the mission and kill bad guys. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's also annoying switching between the rebels and the empire every couple of missions. I would have preferred to play the entire campaign from one perspective only and then start over and play from the other perspective.

The SJW wokeness is unbearable. It even sours the VR experience a little, especially when you are on the bridge getting your briefing and you look around the room at your team mates and you think to yourself "wow the developers really despise people like me". In their drive to be politically correct and inclusive they simply eliminated white males completely.

So in conclusion I give the VR side of this game a 10 out of 10. Playing this with a VR headset and Hotas controller is the only way I would ever play this and for that it was money well spent because I'm going to keep coming back to this game.

If you don't have VR then I don't think you're going to enjoy this very much unless you are such a big Star Wars fan that the nostalgia factor overrides all the negatives of this game much like the VR makes you not care about the same type of missions over and over.

Lastly, for the love of God EA when are you going to stop doing this get woke, go broke thing? Enough of your stupid radical left wing politics in your video games. People want to be entertained and not preached to. There is no reason why you should inject your identity politics into video games. Imagine someone constantly preaching their religion to you and telling you how bad you are and how you are going to hell if you do this and don't do that. That's what you are doing with your "woke religion". Preach, preach, preach, preach. Enough already!
  81. Oct 6, 2020
    Great experience with or without VR. Feels very lacking when trying to just play with a friend or two - if there were more 2-4 player co-op modes, this would be a perfect game at a perfect price.
  82. Oct 6, 2020
    The game is perfect for any star wars fans if you read any bad review is just the people keep hating ea and star wars disney thats it those that not read the novels not see the animated series wont understand jack..s.... about history so if you dont know about nothing of the novels not the animated series then this game is not for you
  83. Oct 6, 2020
    I wanted a deep flight combat game all i got was a 20 minute time killer. Im gonna start of light and work my way down to the biggest offence. Man was excited for this. Dont waste your money. “Deep” gameplay is deep for mobile gamers maybe lol. “Oh look u can divert power its deep” lolol. Doesnt even feel like star wars, characters look like they came out of a fashion magazine...and whyI wanted a deep flight combat game all i got was a 20 minute time killer. Im gonna start of light and work my way down to the biggest offence. Man was excited for this. Dont waste your money. “Deep” gameplay is deep for mobile gamers maybe lol. “Oh look u can divert power its deep” lolol. Doesnt even feel like star wars, characters look like they came out of a fashion magazine...and why arent storm troopers wearing their helmets wtf. I wanna be in a room full of storm troopers etc not in some high school drama parading with a light star wars skin on it. Skipped all the hanger parts as the characters and story are a waste of my time and nothing but cringe. A lot of the characters voice actors sound like they came from a children's cartoon and it really breaks the immersion during gameplay. Don't even get me started on the dialogue. I was hoping for the gameplay to be amazeballs thats why i bought this but my god am i disappointed...the way you track ships is horrid theres no options like in battlefield 3 to look where your opponent is while turning by locking on. Dont have VR? Good luck seeing whos going anywhere, most of the time you will be flying aimlessly. The way throttle works is also stupid as hell. All imperial ships suck. The Tie Fighter is a joke you cant see a god damned thing peripherally so have fun lolol. All in all i was gonna get vr for this and a joystick. Now i wish id saved $55 Cad. Disney and EA were made for each other. Star Wars is dead. P.S maps suck. Expand
  84. Oct 6, 2020
    Made an account only to dispel the amount bull being sprouted about this game. to be clear: If there was ever a game were you should trust critics over user score, it's this one.

Straight up, this game is THE star wars flight sim you've been waiting for. The story is short, but it's not the focus of the game, if anything it's mainly there to show you the ropes and give you a feel for the game. the multi-player is where it's at. nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the feeling of doing a bombing run on a capital ship, putting full power in engines while focusing shields to the front, diving in close to get under their shields and just letting the payload go. Or covering my wing-man while he's does the bombing run, shooting enemy ties as they try to get a lock on him. Growing up watching star wars movies, it's been my dream to recreate scenes like that, and now I'm finally able to.

This game is fantastic and it doesn't deserve to be review bombed. So let's address that. You can play as a white person. There are plenty of white people in the campaign, just look around. they're there. nothing about the characters race, sexuality or whatever feels forced or is rubbed in your face. if you feel like it does, odds are that says something about you rather than the game. This game is worth it, end of story.
  85. Oct 6, 2020
    Star Wars is always worried.
    Science fiction, space that is always concerned.
    boring. It's boring. Bored.
  86. Oct 5, 2020
    Lifelong Star Wars fan here. I love this game. For a 40 dollar online title the story is perfectly fine as an entertaining prolonged tutorial. Online is sensational. No glitches observed on my end. Fans of the old Rogue Squadron or TIE Fighter games will love this. You can be male or female in every race so not sure what the sjw complaints are about. Just trolling it seems. Buy this game.
  87. Oct 5, 2020
    This game is great. If you are looking for a fun star wars flight sim this is it.
  88. Oct 5, 2020
    As usual with EA there is so much potential lost on a half-baked, rushed and buggy as hell game that feels lacking in content. It's another 'game-as-a-service' with a tacked on story campaign that has barely any depth or development to it. The story keeps switching between the New Republic and The Empire but within the same story, so one minute you're playing as the Empire setting up anAs usual with EA there is so much potential lost on a half-baked, rushed and buggy as hell game that feels lacking in content. It's another 'game-as-a-service' with a tacked on story campaign that has barely any depth or development to it. The story keeps switching between the New Republic and The Empire but within the same story, so one minute you're playing as the Empire setting up an ambush, then you're playing as the New Republic trying to escape that ambush. The issue with this is that you constantly feel like you're betraying yourself and have no emotional engagement with your squadmates, since you're going to be trying to kill them in the next mission. Gameplay is a nightmare, while it imports the system management system from better predecessors, it adds in a lot of ridiculous tasks and mission goals that are a pain in the ass. And then there's the bugs, from little (AI enemies getting stuck on scenery) to gamebreaking (checkpoints failing to launch, AI squadmates spawning inside the scenery). The game is already half the price of a new title because it's only half a game, but even then I'd advise waiting until it comes down in price, and that's because I have no faith that EA will bother patching any of the technical issues. Expand
  89. Oct 5, 2020
    Game was alright at first, however became quite monotone and tedious after a while.
    It gets a 0 from me because why would you ruin a game to be politically correct?
    So silly imo
  90. Oct 5, 2020
    When my copy arrived from Amazon I was expecting- no, I tell a lie, I was HOPING for rogue squadron in VR. That would have been amazing. Alas, that's not quite what I received. Now don't get me wrong, ANYTHING that puts me in both an X-wing and TIE Interceptor cockpit in VR is going to be of immense interest to me.

BUT. Anything that REEKS of identity politics to this extent in

BUT.

Anything that REEKS of identity politics to this extent in addition to the nonsense that is the game's story is a huge turn-off. But before I go off on a tangent -and let me add that I found that while they made me uncomfortable I could pretty much ignore the presence of such politics for the sheer joy of being in a starfighter cockpit with a joystick in my hand- let's get some hard numbers.

SOUND: Star Wars has always had great audio (sound and music). At least, if you can forget that sound waves don't travel through space so you cannot, for instance, hear an alarm on a star destroyer simply by flying close to it. But since this is an issue with practically every science fiction movie or game ever made I think we can safely ignore it. Sound gets a 2.

GRAPHICS: It was kind of a shock going from a Vive Cosmos to Playstation VR. This isn't so much a fault of the game as hardware limitation. That said, while it was often difficult to tell what exactly I was shooting at at range, the cockpit interiors looked amazing, especially the the Reaper and U-wing. Though this probably belongs in another category, major props for the display functionality. While you don't have the functionality of, say, the No Man's Sky cockpit controls the instruments are not mere decoration but actually useful. Not to the extent that you could fly and fight by them but far more functional than I would have expected. Since the only graphic issues I had were a product of the limitation of VR hardware, we have a 2 here as well.

STORY: Here we begin to run into trouble. Identity politics and box-checking aside, the story is ridiculous. Without giving too much away, the story revolves mostly around a New Republic superweapon. And a pretty silly one at that. It would have made much more sense, as one of the in-game characters points out, to simply build another Death Star. And let me talk about the level design for a moment. The mission environments are great- nothing wrong with them. EXCEPT for how the story uses them. So.. WHY, exactly, would a huge ship fly THROUGH a debris field instead of simply going around? For cover, maybe. Makes sense. But why would a fleet that knows that ship's destination follow behind with (metaphorically) "please ambush me" painted in huge letters on each ship's hull? And... it gets sillier from there. When you add the identity politics back into the mix... I'm sorry, I've gotta give this a 0. If you're playing this game for the flying you can sort of shove both the story and the politics to one side of your brain and try to ignore it but unless you're a blind idiot it's *still* going to bother you at least a *little*.

CONTROLS: I had a few issues here but most of that went away when I downloaded the update and plugged in my joystick. All in all, I didn't really have any issues here. There is somewhat of a learning curve and I often found myself flying into objects- which I invariably bounced off of instead of crashing for some reason. Everything worked, but I couldn't help harboring a nagging feeling that there could have been some tweaks and improvements. 1.

EXECUTION: Everything worked and looked pretty doing it. The mechanic that allows the player to divert shield power fore and aft was an especially pleasing surprise, as this is something that x-wings at least could do in the canon (ie, not Disney) movies. My biggest issue here is that in spite of how much fun I had playing the game (and ignoring the story and trying to ignore the politics) the intent seems to be online play. Each side (NR and IMP) gets exactly 4 ships, each of which fills a specific role balanced for online play. And that's it. Where are the B-wings? What about E-wings? Maybe a TIE Phantom would be nice. Even a Z95 or K-wing. One of the things I liked about Rogue Squadron was the off-the-shelf variety of unlockable ships, and we don't see that here. And NO, it is NOT okay to sell extra ships later as DLC. This was my biggest disappointment of the game. This isn't a deal-breaker because, hey, VR. But a 1 is the best I can give here.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: Word limit so this will be short. The crap story, apparently box-checking politics and lack of variety in ships takes a heavy toll here. But it's VR and that in this context counts for a lot. In spite of those negatives, I still enjoyed the game. these cancel each other out. +1.

Total score: 7. -2 if you can't ignore the awful story or identity politics.
  91. Oct 5, 2020
    First good Star Wars Game for very long Time, with VR. Everthing i was dreaming about
  92. Oct 5, 2020
    I was having high Hope's for this game when I pre ordered it. But my Hope's were **** on, and thrown into the garbage. Theres only 3 game modes, a short, simple, and straight forward campaign that has the same kind of mission every time. Dont get me wrong, flying in space is fun, but when you die all the time with a team that has nothing to pitch, it makes me regret ever looking at thisI was having high Hope's for this game when I pre ordered it. But my Hope's were **** on, and thrown into the garbage. Theres only 3 game modes, a short, simple, and straight forward campaign that has the same kind of mission every time. Dont get me wrong, flying in space is fun, but when you die all the time with a team that has nothing to pitch, it makes me regret ever looking at this game. I mean, come on EA, what the hell were you idiots thinking? Terrible job, another fan of yall's star wars games lost. Consider me out. Expand
  93. Oct 5, 2020
    This game isn't complete garbage like some of the other EA SW titles (Fallen Order, anyone?), but it's not a good game either, and it's certainly not worth the price they've put it at

I was a huge fan of the original X-Wing game by LucasArts back in the early '90s, and to be frank, that game is vastly superior to this one, even today As many others have said, the "story" is

As many others have said, the "story" is laughable, considering how shallow, short, and BORING it is. The story feels like it came from someone's 5th grade "creative writing" assignments. The plot is cliche, predictable, and not interesting in any way. Personally, I don't really mind the diversity bits that a lot of folks are upset about. I don't feel that it impacts game play in any way good or bad: you don't really see your own character that much & the voice acting is still very stilted, generic garbage that might as well be an astromech's beeping....actually, I'd prefer the astromech, so there you go

As for gameplay, it's an arcade game, straight up. This is not in any way a simulation. The controls are not good, the power management is too basic, to the point that it's actually an annoyance. Flight is very arcade-y and not smooth like you would expect in a simulation. Actual flying talent is lost in this game, there's really no point in trying to use flying tactics or even paying attention to things like your rolls and angles of attack. Just treat it like any arcade game and you'll do fine. Some folks like this style, which is fine, but this game should NEVER have been marketed as a simulation: that's a flat out lie

The missions you are given are, for the most part, a complete joke. They make no strategic sense and seem to have been thought up in a 30-minute conference room session after the makers of this game forgot they had to put missions in. The tactical decisions made by your superiors would ensure a full on mutiny after about 2 days. Since, as mentioned, this is an arcade game, you can do these missions and survive, but I think a lot of folks will agree, the little voice in your head as you complete these missions will be laughing and crying BS on a frequent basis. Think back to when you were 5 years old playing some kind of "war" game with your friends: the tactics are about the same, as is the whole "Nuh-uh, you didn't kill me, I got a shield" ..."Yeah, well I got a shield busting gun, so you're dead"...."No because I got an anti-shield-busting gun shield, so I blocked you"....Yeah, it's about like that. immersion? Forget it, not happening here

Multiplayer is accordingly meh: it's an arcade game, so there's really not a lot of skill to rely on. You mash a few buttons and flop around in a jerky arcade manner. pew pew pew boom yay, wash, rinse, repeat

Speaking of button mashing....this is not unique to this game, but yes button mashing is a thing when your systems go down. Whoever originally thought this would be a fun game mechanic should be shot. Whoever still uses this game mechanic in new games thinking it's fun should be shot & then eaten by cannibals. It's BAD. Stop. Doing. This.

Good stuff:
    Graphics are pretty decent
    I don't see any loot boxes/crates/whatever yet...maybe I just missed them, but if this game doesn't actually have this garbage, then GOOD JOB! GREAT job even. If I never see another loot crate again, I'll be happy (yeah, I know it's not gonna happen)

All in all...this one is a big disappointment for me for the reasons above. If you're into arcade-y "flying" shooters, then this might be up your alley. If you're looking for a simulation, like this title CLAIMS to be....keep movin' on, cuz this aint it
  94. Oct 5, 2020
    Its like the old xwing VS tie figther saga.... I love it ¡¡¡

to the people who talk trash only attending if they can feel identified with the main characters...and editing a critic readed right here... """Where is fat and ugly peoples ?? Again playing with a hot guy??? The biggest quantity of people’s who buys your game is ugly and without life, So think about it fatties peoples
    Its like the old xwing VS tie figther saga.... I love it ¡¡¡

"""Where is fat and ugly peoples ??
    Again playing with a hot guy???
    fatties peoples pay you money"""

obviusly, im being sarcastic here...but really, you can identify yourself with a hotass with conan body jedi twilek, but no with other gender/colour people??? oh,the irony...
  95. Oct 5, 2020
    Story is bad. Campaign is very short. The multiplayer has only two modes that's it. It's only 5vs5 in each mode. The game locks you in first person view only. You have these cool looking ships and you can see your ship or how you customized it. They need to make a game that is similar in quality as Rogue Squadrons 2 from the Nintendo GameCube era. Not worth your money or time. The gameStory is bad. Campaign is very short. The multiplayer has only two modes that's it. It's only 5vs5 in each mode. The game locks you in first person view only. You have these cool looking ships and you can see your ship or how you customized it. They need to make a game that is similar in quality as Rogue Squadrons 2 from the Nintendo GameCube era. Not worth your money or time. The game looks good and controls decent but the gameplay is very limited and gets old fast. Expand
  96. Pj7
    Oct 5, 2020
    A great tactical team game in space. Really like how the ships and power systems were designed, as you’re flying you must decide which sub system needs priority (engines, weapons, shields), also if the ship has a shield you can focus them (front, back, or balanced). There are differences between imperial and rebel ships but it seems balanced so far, no one side seems to dominate/loseA great tactical team game in space. Really like how the ships and power systems were designed, as you’re flying you must decide which sub system needs priority (engines, weapons, shields), also if the ship has a shield you can focus them (front, back, or balanced). There are differences between imperial and rebel ships but it seems balanced so far, no one side seems to dominate/lose matches consistently from what I’ve seen.

I was a big Eve Valkyrie fan and this feels like a spiritual successor. They took the good parts of that game (fleet battles, VR, etc.) and built in even more awesome features using the Star Wars universe.
  97. Oct 5, 2020
    So I made a decision to preorder this game since I have a PSVR and needed to experience something like flying iconic Star War ships in VR. I couldn't of been anymore happier once midnight came around and I can finally play it. The moment you sit in the cockpit of the famous X-Wing and able to look around freely it is something that any Star Wars fan needs to experience. I completed theSo I made a decision to preorder this game since I have a PSVR and needed to experience something like flying iconic Star War ships in VR. I couldn't of been anymore happier once midnight came around and I can finally play it. The moment you sit in the cockpit of the famous X-Wing and able to look around freely it is something that any Star Wars fan needs to experience. I completed the campaign and even though it was nothing groundbreaking it was still a fun story that I plan to return to so I can get the trophies for it. Fleet battles is where its at, whether you're playing against AI or players, the constant tug of war is intense. the amount of customization will make any fans smile. Highly recommend this game with or without VR, especially with a $40 price tag. Expand
  98. Oct 5, 2020
    This game is great on VR with a PS4 Pro. I thought there would be terrible motion sickness but because the cockpit gives your eyes a large stationary reference point at all times I managed to play for 4 hours straight with no ill effect (I've never kept a VR headset on that long, that's how imersive the experience is). You have a realy advantage due to being able to look around the cockpitThis game is great on VR with a PS4 Pro. I thought there would be terrible motion sickness but because the cockpit gives your eyes a large stationary reference point at all times I managed to play for 4 hours straight with no ill effect (I've never kept a VR headset on that long, that's how imersive the experience is). You have a realy advantage due to being able to look around the cockpit windows and keep your target in sight without needing the radar.

There are a few imperfections and occasional bugs and glitches as there would be with any new release but It's a really fun experience.

Make sure to put the controls on max sensitivity and switch to the aviator mode for best results. It can be a bit difficult getting used to keeping your speed at the right setting while using L3 to help turn but beyond that the controls work well.

The moments where you line up a perfect kill on another player or speed and turn within inches of an asteroid to outmanvouver someone are what it's all about.

Don't bother looking for HOTAS as the Thrustmaster 4 is out of stock or really expensive and you loose rumble imersion. The Hori Flight Stick is expensive and has terrible reviews.
  99. Oct 5, 2020
    The game is great to play with friends, absolute blast alone as well.
    However while the idea and game itself is great and plays great, it lacks in content.
    There are only like 6 different maps, 2 modes and thats it, so while the game repeating itself is not to bad, after some time you have seen everything. If later dlcs add more maps the game could be heavily improved on. If you want it
    The game is great to play with friends, absolute blast alone as well.
    If later dlcs add more maps the game could be heavily improved on.

If you want it badly, pick it up, if it looks interresting, wait for the game to be 20-30€ then pick it up.
  100. Oct 5, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Had mixed expectations after EA's handling of Star Wars Battlefront II, but Motive have produced a fantastic product. Excellent game that has the feel of the old X-Wing/Tie-Fighter games. Excited to see where it goes from here. Expand
  101. Oct 3, 2020
    the gameplay is fine and looks good but is lacking in much to do outside of the campaign (of which youd be better playing star wars rogue squadron) the multiplayer isnt much to speak of either in general not that wont have some fun but still but overall id say a 3 for now until they show more and if not wait til the games on sale to get

Generally favorable reviews - based on 50 Critic Reviews

1. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Nov 18, 2020
    Moderately hardcore, a tad nostalgic, devoid of AAA luster, but engaging nonetheless – Squadrons is a nice choice for those who miss Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance. [Issue#249, p.56]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Nov 15, 2020
    It’s the game PS VR was made for; dogfighting is fast and nuanced, but it’s the physical act of sitting inside some of the Star Wars universe’s most iconic cockpits that never fails to impress. [Issue#181, p.84]
  3. Nov 10, 2020
    While Squadrons has likely already come and gone for those who can’t experience it as its best, I can’t overstate just how vital it is for Star Wars fans fortunate enough to play in VR. This is arguably the first productive thing EA has done with the Star Wars franchise — I don’t know what took them so long, but I hope it’s a sign of things to come.