8.1

1. Dec 9, 2017
    now before anyone brings out the torches and pitchforks; I do like this game,but there are some problems that bog this down from being incredible.

Gameplay: since this is a visual novel, gameplay is only going to be based on menu design. honestly the only problem I have with the gameplay is the vocab that is displayed as tips. Some of the information that is saved makes you feel like a complete idiot because of the simple terms that are displayed, especially considering it is an M rated game and the audience should be well into the age to understand most of the simple terms. For example, did you know the game had to explain to you what ok means in the tips or what UFO and PTSD means? It makes Captain Obvious look like Ben Stein.... they didn't have to dumb it down for the people who watch this.

Sound: no problems the voices are clear even though I don't speak japanese XD and the music adds mystery and humor to the plot. The lip sync matches the scene to a tee.

Controls: The controls bugged me.... there were buttons that you press to tell you an option is available and some that are completely pointless. for example I can press R1 to tell me that you can start skip mode, which doesn't do anything or a forced skip which is L1. You can display the backing but what point is there to display the backing on a visual novel? its pointless and a waste of a layout. I don't understand why there is a quicksave when you can save any time you like as well. You can basically save anywhere you like by pushing the options button and going to save. Unfortunately a lot of buttons without a purpose.

Story: Now I'm a huge fan of the steins gate mythos and the story and this doesn't disappoint, however there is a huge amount of story padding and exposition that it is hard to fully enjoy the story. Half of the time you will say "okay now get to the point" because of the fact that the details are dragged on. It feels like when you want to see the climax of the story you will have to wait and if you don't have a guide you won't know how the story arcs and the multiple endings that come with said story. But every ending is amazing and it shows so many twists and turns that could happen in the story of stine's gate.

Now you might be asking why I still gave it a good review? It does it's job despite the short comings. It is a visual novel not a regular game, so as long as the story is good then the rest can be forgiven more or less and the story is a perfect sequel to the original with interesting branching points
  2. Apr 13, 2017
    Okay, so I've still not fully 100%'d Steins;Gate 0 (PS4) at the time of writing this review, but the original Steins;Gate Visual Novel was and still is my favourite VN and anime of all time. Even only getting to the "BAD" ending so far, I've got to say that this Visual Novel is a MUST-BUY for any lover of Sci-Fi and especially any lover of the original VN/anime. It obviously doesn't haveOkay, so I've still not fully 100%'d Steins;Gate 0 (PS4) at the time of writing this review, but the original Steins;Gate Visual Novel was and still is my favourite VN and anime of all time. Even only getting to the "BAD" ending so far, I've got to say that this Visual Novel is a MUST-BUY for any lover of Sci-Fi and especially any lover of the original VN/anime. It obviously doesn't have the punch that the first one does... but I may be swayed once I reach the full ending. 9/10 EASILY. Expand
  3. Dec 16, 2016
    This is not a review but more of a notification. I found the game to be fairly enjoyable as did most people, however, some have raised complaints about the stories ending. This is mainly because a lot of these complaints have come from people who did not realize that there are actually six endings to the game.To help get the one you want, you can use this link as a toolThis is not a review but more of a notification. I found the game to be fairly enjoyable as did most people, however, some have raised complaints about the stories ending. This is mainly because a lot of these complaints have come from people who did not realize that there are actually six endings to the game.To help get the one you want, you can use this link as a tool
  4. Dec 31, 2016
    Messy plot, blank characters, just a bunch of ideas mixed together without any purpose at the end. Feels like a bad fanfic. Is nothing like the original game, each detail in which had a purpose at the end.

Waste of time.
  5. Dec 5, 2016
    Aquí no nos tenemos que calentar mucho la cabeza a la hora de recomendar el título. Si jugaste al anterior, ya te habrás lanzado de cabeza a este, y sino lo has hecho aun DEBERÍAS.

Ahora bien, no es un título pensado para disfrutar de manera independiente, y es OBLIGATORIO comprender y haber completado la historia del título anterior, ya que no estamos ante una secuela o precuela como mencionan muchos medios, sino un complemento de la historia en general. En otras palabras, ambos títulos forman una sola historia.

Si tuviéramos que calificar basándonos simplemente en la historia, ambas entregas tendrían un soberano 10. Pero la falta de interactividad con el usuario (por desgracia, una seña característica de 5PB) y la escasez de elementos jugables lo alejan del usuario medio (carece de la interacción de un Phoenix Wright o un Root Letter por poneros unos ejemplos).
  6. May 2, 2017
    This is the 1st time I write a game review, so I apologize in advance for any mistake I will make.

I write this review based on the assumption that you have played/watched the previous one before, and known what happened in that final moment (Operation Skuld). This game/Visual Novel is the sequel/mid-quel of the 1st one, and is practically the explanation and process of how the D-mail Okabe received after falling to rescue Kurisu the 1st time.

Compare to the original one, this game is amazingly well-made, following suite with the emotion of the MC, full of regret and sadness. The game introduce a new aspect beside time travel: a program which stores and develops the owner's memories on its own, like a true human put inside a monitor. And surprisingly the concept merges so well with the time travelling, giving a fresh air for the series. And thus, it's the main root of many problem, despairs, and the dark side of the game.

The jokes, happy events and heart-warming moment are still there, but they won't last long, and the reality after that will hit you hard... So just, brace yourself in advance when it happens.

The game length, in my opinion, is fairly shorter than the previous, but it's more painful, heart-broken, and frustrated, since the MC had already given up on Kurisu after all. Also, in order to reach the true end, you have to play the game once, then start again/ reload the crucial moment. The fact that there are less options to guide the story, or interact with other characters will probably annoy some players, but I think it is a good thing, since you can focus more on the story, without sidetracking to other diversions.

Overall, there are lots of shortcoming from this game, and the true end leaves much to be desired (since you already know what will happen after it in the original one). However, I love it. Manly tears have been shred, and I enjoy the journey far more than I expected. If you have already experienced Steins;Gate, then I'd 100% recommend you to play this. It's worth your time (and probably your tears as well).

And lastly, I wish you well with Operation Skuld, my fellow mad scientist.

El. Psy. Kongroo.
  7. Jul 10, 2019
    Steins;Gate 0 is, much like its predecessor, one of the best visual novels available. It's generally considered slightly inferior to Steins;Gate but I have played through both vns a number of times and never found any reason to agree with that sentiment. It's well worth your time even if you're already familiar with the anime adaptation. The length of the vn is 30–50 hours.
  8. Aug 24, 2020
    Again, masterpiece of the SF-based visual novel. Branches of the story are more complex than original steins gate but still really interesting. Great artwork, voice, story, and charming new characters. 5pb studio must make new steins gate series forever.
  9. Sep 16, 2020
    «Steins;Gate 0» is a worthy sequel to the original story. To my mind, it's not fair to rate these games separately, because the story wouldn't have been finished if there hadn't been the sequel. 10/10

Generally favorable reviews - based on 20 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Feb 13, 2017
    A worthy sequel to one of the best visual novels ever created, although it relies too heavily on your familiarity with the original game. [02/2017, p.56]
  2. Jan 23, 2017
    I feel incredibly conflicted about my time with Steins;Gate 0. Its plot raises some really fun questions, and during its very best moments it can be read as an allegory for the overzealous influence of American hegemony on post-war Japan. When it works, Steins;Gate 0 knocks it out of the park. But more often than not, it doesn't work, and is instead content to waste your time with shallow "slice of life" baloney that you've seen a million times before in other visual novels. There is value to be gleaned from Steins;Gate 0, I just wish it wasn't so well hidden.
  3. Dec 28, 2016
    Steins;Gate 0 is one of the best stories the visual novel genre has to offer, and stands as a worthy sequel to its critically-acclaimed predecessor.