7.3

1. Mar 24, 2020
    Fun game aimed at fans of Colin Moriarty, but even for those who do not know Moriarty or Chris Ray Gun, there is some satisfying gameplay here. A fun game to kill time.
  2. Mar 25, 2020
    Great game, really enjoyed it. Fun and challenging game play with tons of game modes to extend the game. Controls are tight and the power ups make for a fun loop. The second half ups the challenge and adds 2 other paddles and really makes the game different. The plat isn't too crazy and won't be too much for most people.
  3. Mar 24, 2020
    Fun game I've been playing this morning. Great price and addictive game play.
  4. Mar 24, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazingly written story. New take on a known recipe. Ending in a cliffhanger. Can't wait for the sequel Expand
  5. Mar 24, 2020
    Colin teamed up with Lillymo to really make something special. A fun and creative brick breaker with an engrossing narrative isn't something you see everyday. As a bonus, you can even cross-buy the game and earn two platinum trophies for the price of one!
  6. Mar 24, 2020
    Really fun. Colin and Chris do a good job making a simple genre fun and exciting. Store is actually pretty good and has a deeper meaning.
  7. Mar 24, 2020
    Really great brick breaking game. Fun and a co-op gem to play with someone else.
  8. Mar 24, 2020
    Really fun brick breaker. Good level of challenge. The four blocks absolutely melt my brain! Really good trophy list for this game as well!
  9. Mar 24, 2020
    Love me some brick breaker! Skip the story if you want. Press Triangle. Very accessible on both platforms. Hope it comes to PC
  10. Mar 24, 2020
    this is a perfect arcadey game for me to get inmeshed with. very charming and fun.
  11. Mar 24, 2020
    The campaign is excellent and the gameplay is challenging and rewarding. There's tons of modes and endless replayability. An absolute steal at $9.99USD or $13.49CAD
  12. Mar 25, 2020
    Who would have thought a brick breaker could have a great story, addicting gameplay, awesome graphics and music? Oh not to mention that it is only ten dollars and cross-buy? Also has separate trophy lists! Both versions of the game a great but Twin Breaker is right at home on the PS Vita!
  13. Mar 24, 2020
    If you had asked me within the past decade, “Do you think the ‘Brick Breaker’ genre could make a comeback?” I would have dismissively said, “No.” That being said, I definitely made an err in judgement. “Twin Breaker: A Sacred Symbol Adventure” by Lillymo Games is simultaneously a wonderful throwback to an era in video games long lost to the annals of time as well as clever modernizationIf you had asked me within the past decade, “Do you think the ‘Brick Breaker’ genre could make a comeback?” I would have dismissively said, “No.” That being said, I definitely made an err in judgement. “Twin Breaker: A Sacred Symbol Adventure” by Lillymo Games is simultaneously a wonderful throwback to an era in video games long lost to the annals of time as well as clever modernization of the genre for a new era.

First let us rewind the clock a bit— Brick Breakers are at their core a sub-genre of the 1972, arcade (and early home consoles’) classic, “Pong.” Four-years later, Nolan Bushnell and Steve Bristow, would refine the bat-and-ball premise with “Breakout,” which besides having a ball and paddle incorporated bricks to destroy in order to rack-up a high score. Many years later a game aptly named, “Brick Breaker,” would truly cement the sub-class’s moniker, however, even with its eponymous name it is still deemed a ‘Breakout Clone.’

“Twin Breaker” takes the history and nostalgia of “Breakout” (and others—like 1986’s Arkanoid) and pays loving homage, while also adding in a lacquer of polish to an otherwise archaic mold. “Twin Breaker” captures the chirpy, chiptunes that always accompanied older games, the (nearly) everlasting pixel art aesthetic, and the arcadey action of “Breakout.” It does so with ease, but if it were to merely clone an arcade title that has been duplicated so many times before, “Twin Breaker” would have been left wanting. Instead, it brings the genre into a new decade by adding in modern sensibilities. Not only does “Twin Breaker” take a tried-and-true genre, but it does so with smashing success.

Colin Moriarty, (one of the developers of “Twin Breaker,” owner/founder of Colin’s Last Stand, and co-host to a plethora of podcasts including “Sacred Symbols”) wrote a fantastic, science-fiction narrative to pair with an already solid title. It is exploratory in its palaver with the audience as it provides humor with more-serious underpinnings and motifs. Conveyed via splash screens and dialogue bubbles between Colin and Chris (the two protagonists of the game), it dissects a very real possibility of Earth’s place in the universe and how humanity’s interactions with one another could aid or hinder the celestial hierarchy without any of us truly knowing.

Pretty weighty stuff, eh? Don’t be too alarmed by the story. It isn’t unnecessarily filled with jargon or high end philosophical stances; it merely expresses these issues as a framework, while the more tongue-in-cheek humor in the dialogue fleshes out the rest of the story. That being said, if you wanted to dive headlong into the lore of this universe, there are codexes to unlock that further the player’s understanding of the world that they are experiencing. Playing a Brick Breaker that includes a narrative is rare and perhaps unheard of— The story and dialogue do not feel needlessly tacked onto an already decent ”Breakout” clone. The story uplifts and fits snugly within the gameplay and vice-a-versa.

In addition to the inclusion of a narrative, “Twin Breaker” also works in innovative gameplay mechanics that keeps the pacing and moment-to-moment action thrilling and incredibly viable. Every ten levels (in the 40 level campaign) features a unique boss battle, which work masterfully in the game’s pacing of difficulty. Halfway through “Twin Breaker,” two pairs of paddles are introduced, resulting in my favorite line of the game delivered by Colin’s “Sacred Symbol’s” podcast co-host, Chris, “This should make things a little easier.” (F.Y.I. It doesn’t). However, this gameplay addition provides more difficulty and increases tension, which ultimately applies a nice little twist to the level designs that implement this feature.

I highly recommend “Twin Breaker,” especially if you grew-up with arcades and classic home consoles. It scratches a particular itch that not a lot of other games can reach. In our first ever review score for ASInquisitor, my lovely “Rage Quit” podcast co-host, Ariel, and I give it 4.5 ‘Polar Bear Paws’ out of 5. “Twin Breaker” harkens back to a golden era of arcades and Ataris with just the right amount of modernity.
  14. Mar 27, 2020
    I was just extremely bored the whole time. I’ve played games similar to this but it just wasn’t didn’t think it was well made.
  15. Mar 24, 2020
    Just unnecessarily hard. Very inaccessible when you get to the four paddle levels. No way to lower difficulty and getting the S ranks for some levels just doesn’t respect my time. Highly disappointed if they do another brick breaker.
  16. Mar 26, 2020
    Twin Breaker
    A Sacred Symbols Adventure
    More than just another Brick Breaker The year is 2311, everyone still hates Colin Moriarty for a joke he made 294 years ago, Earth is no longer humanity’s only home… oh youre confused? Yeah this brick breakers has a story. It’s actually a pretty interesting concept of sending generations through space until eventually one of the ships make it
    Twin Breaker
    A Sacred Symbols Adventure
    More than just another Brick Breaker
    Yeah this brick breakers has a story.
    It’s actually a pretty interesting concept of sending generations through space until eventually one of the ships make it back and lead to a discovery of a wormhole, whats on the otherside you might ask?
    If only there were 2 bright young lads to make this journey.. what a coincidence.. We have Chris and Colin, setting out to discover whats on the other side…
    Fake spoiler warning, it’s a brick breaker game.
    Twin Breakers consists of 7 different modes, most of which are nice little time waster mini games such as an endless shooter mode, a boss rush mode, or a pong mode where you play pong with the games bosses… but the star of the show is this little over 2 hour long 40 level adventure where you take on space bad guys and break bricks.
    Though Twin Breaker has a unique twist… youre controlling 2 “bouncers” at a time, one with the left stick and one with the right stick.. a twin stick brick breaker.. leading to a rub your tummy and pat your head styled gameplay especially later on when youre controlling 4 bouncers all at once with the two sticks…
    The concept is simple, the bricks have a number of how many times they need hit on them, you try your hardest to break them all before time runs out or you lose all ofyour lives, all while trying to get the highest score possible to unlock even more of the story back in the trophy room…
    And as youre doing so upgrades will drop from the sky, helping you out and making everything going on more hectic… and if you lose your lives, you’re abale to trade in some points for one more try.. which comes in handy during those more difficult levels..
    That being said, Twin Breaker doesn’t do quite enough to make this experience memorable or addictive as it could be.. We can look at peggle as an example of how to make brick breaking interesting with constant new gimics and mechanics… im not saying I want peggle, but I feel like there were some missed opportunities here to play around with black holes for example amond many other things to really make levels more intriguing and not so predictable… sure if a simple brick breaking game with a slight twist is all youre looking for, youll get that here… but ask anyone after playing this game what their favorite levels was, and they wont be able to tell you.. they all blur together, beyond the first half of the campaign, Twin Breaker starts to run out of fuel, it loses its charm and there aren’t even interesting boss battles to look forward too, at first the idea of a boss in a brick breaker Is insance, its exciting… but ultimately these battles are the easiest levels in the game and all feel and look the same.
    While of course seeing how Colin and Chris’ journey ends pulled me through to the credits, and Ill always encourage support of fellow content creators,
    I wish there were more pazzaz to recommend Twin Breaker beyond that.
    I give Twin Breaker : A Sacred Symbols Adventure
    a 6/10
  17. Mar 27, 2020
    Best brick breaking game on the market. Lots of replay value in chasing high scores.
  18. Mar 28, 2020
    Colin was right this game is a gem for brick breaker fans. The more advanced levels take a little getting used to. This game is beyond worth it for 10$ Chris is my dudebro.
  19. Mar 30, 2020
    A fun little brick breaker. Interesting story and challenging gameplay.
    Having 4 paddles broke my brain....in a good way.
  20. Mar 30, 2020
    Look, fat, it’s a brick breaker. You break break bricks. Forget about it.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 6 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 27, 2020
    Despite some flaws, Twin Breaker: A Sacred Symbols Adventure is a sincere homage to an underrated sub-genre. It captures what made classics like Arkanoid and Breakout beloved while putting its own special spin on the formula. The result is brick-breaking bliss that I would recommend to most lovers of arcade indies.
  2. Mar 23, 2020
    With Twin Breaker, the team at Lillymo, along with Moriarty and Maldenado, have constructed a wonderful take on a time-honoured genre that has been woefully underserved in recent years.
  3. Mar 23, 2020
    It’s a lot of fun to play, though – and should prove a treat for fans who’ve been following Moriarty since the days of Shatter on the PlayStation 3.