8.3

1. Oct 12, 2020
    The combat in this game is laughably bad, the dodge goes nowhere and there isn't a lock on, I beat the first fight with the main bad guy and that's when I began to realize just how bad the combat system sucked. for one the blocking was unreliable due to the lack of a lock on, the dodging couldn't get me far away enough to evade most of his attacks, and you can't cancel attacks by blockingThe combat in this game is laughably bad, the dodge goes nowhere and there isn't a lock on, I beat the first fight with the main bad guy and that's when I began to realize just how bad the combat system sucked. for one the blocking was unreliable due to the lack of a lock on, the dodging couldn't get me far away enough to evade most of his attacks, and you can't cancel attacks by blocking or dodging so half of your attacks would get ignored and he'd kick your ass. One more thing before the fans of this game murder me, the fights with multiple enemies also suck. imagine the blocking and dodging issues I had with the boss, but 5 times worse, at least the grunts don't have as much heath. other than that I can't really say much for the story as this is the first Yakuza game I've tried. I've heard that the plot is good so I won't give it less than a 4/10 but I won't see much of that story because I refuse to play any more of this game, the bad combat was funny at first but then it got annoying Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 69 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Dec 4, 2018
    Not having played Yakuza 6 yet, at first I was disappointed with the Dragon engine, which offers only painful 30 frames per second. New tech has its advantages though, as you may enter most of shops, restaurants etc. without annoying loading, which is a significant step forward from the first Kiwami, as are the physics engine, animation system and enhanced control over combat. Overall it is a very good game, but not as brilliant as Yakuza 0, especially in terms of the story. [10/2018, p.70]
  2. Sep 27, 2018
    It’s an odd feeling to be back in Kamurocho after wishing a bittersweet farewell to the Dragon of Dojima. Even though Kiwami 2 doesn’t quite achieve the emotional highs of the Song of Life, the polished gameplay as well as one of the finest antagonists the series has to offer makes it a must play for Yakuza fans, whether they played the original on the PS2 or not.
  3. Sep 24, 2018
    Minor flaws aside, Yakuza Kiwami 2 is a great reimagining, reworked with love and pride by a team who clearly understand what makes their games shine. Even though there are loads of Kiryu’s adventures to choose from at this point, this one stands apart as one of the best. It may not dethrone 0 as the definitive Yakuza experience, but it’s still an excellent entry in its own right and has essentially become the gold standard by which all remakes should be measured.