5.5

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Apr 12, 2012
    Clunky controls made me forget it. Sad, it could be an interesting game.
  2. Nov 18, 2020
    It’s a really interesting game, the controls are a little bit clumsy and they should add something innovative, but the game is good and you can spend some hours enjoying it.
  3. Feb 17, 2021
    I really wanted to like this game, but, in the end, I just couldn’t get over the poor controls. It’s a symptom that has plagued NASCAR games dating back to Days of Thunder and Bill Elliott’s NASCAR Challenge on the NES and NASCAR 99 on the N64, and, sadly, it’s still present here. With every turn, it feels like you’re either up scraping the wall or down across the line on the apron;I really wanted to like this game, but, in the end, I just couldn’t get over the poor controls. It’s a symptom that has plagued NASCAR games dating back to Days of Thunder and Bill Elliott’s NASCAR Challenge on the NES and NASCAR 99 on the N64, and, sadly, it’s still present here. With every turn, it feels like you’re either up scraping the wall or down across the line on the apron; there’s just no feeling of precision. That lack of precision is especially noticeable when you’re around other cars; it’s hard to keep off of them. You would think “steering” wouldn’t be such a chore since you’re basically just turning left the entire time, but it is. Compare this game to, say, F1 2009 or MotoGP or pretty much any other racing game on the PSP and you’ll see what I mean about the poor controls. Another knock on the game is the physics, especially the crash physics. Lord help you if you’re passing someone on the low side because 9 times out of 10, your right rear quarter panel is going to get clipped and you’ll be sent up into the outside wall as if they’re Sterling Marlin and you’re Dale Earnhardt. For some reason, that same tap and crash mechanic is not present on the left side of cars. For example, if you tap another car on their left rear quarter panel, they do not get loose and spin like they would 9 times out of 10 in a real race. The developers did not get reality right on that aspect of the gameplay. The sound is another area where they failed to capture anything close to reality. The engine sound is way off, and when there’s another car near you, that poor engine sound is now amplified. The game itself is very expansive covering the NEXTEL Cup, Nationwide, Craftsman Truck, and the Whelen Modified Series, but, at the end of the day, the game just isn’t fun to play; it’s a chore. I will say I enjoyed racing the Whelen Modified cars the most as they seemed much more responsive and handled better, but if I’m craving some racing action, I will look elsewhere. Expand

#80 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2006

Mixed or average reviews - based on 13 Critic Reviews

The lack of better analog support (which is a hardware issue) and the fact that you can't use a steering wheel may impair the experience for hardcore fans, but stock car junkies who simply want to jump in and speed around the track a number of times will find a fair bit to like here.
  2. NASCAR is a deep and enjoyable game that sacrifices little in the transition from consoles to the PSP.
    While the graphics and sound are mostly pleasing and the numerous modes and events will keep you busy, I think the difficulty should've been adjusted, and online play should have been made a factor.