8.9

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Aug 30, 2019
    Fantastic graphics but everything else is really mediocre or outright poor. Go buy Devil May Cry 5 or Bayonetta for a true action game experience. Gameplay is worse than NieR Automata's.
  2. Aug 12, 2021
    cool gameplay at first, and after 6 hours just boring, story that didnt click with me and ended in an anticlimactic and very open way, and **** endgame, just grinding 50 boring missions with an already boring spammy combat to get to the true boss, which also was anticlimactic, I hope you listen to me and dont waste your money on this game unless you adore spamming moves
  3. Mar 2, 2020
    There's a **** ton of reasons why this game is terrible, but the main issue is that the dodging and camera systems are absolute **** Targeting happens automatically, whether or not I want it to, even if I turn off the target marker. Switching between multiple targets makes me want to put my head through a **** wall with how absolutely terrible the function is.The hitboxes and dodging feelThere's a **** ton of reasons why this game is terrible, but the main issue is that the dodging and camera systems are absolute **** Targeting happens automatically, whether or not I want it to, even if I turn off the target marker. Switching between multiple targets makes me want to put my head through a **** wall with how absolutely terrible the function is.The hitboxes and dodging feel like they asked a toddler to draw a bunch of circles in crayon around the character and then they set the hitboxes to be identical to it. It feels like they TRIED to make the hitboxes bad. On top of all this, even if you manage to acclimate to a terrible camera and a god awful dodging system, even if you manage to get "good" at the game, it still gives you that sweet, sweet C ranking because you didn't use moves and abilities that they haven't even given to you yet. It's like ranking a 2nd grader based on their college algebra skills. So now if you want to make it so that your game file isn't riddled with Cs and Ds, you get to go back and play through each individual mission with your new abilities so that it's actually possible to get a better score. Why can't I just get a good score the first time through with what I have? It's like I progress through the game just so I can go backwards. All in all, ****ty combat, uninteresting dialogue and story, and unremarkable characters that I forget almost instantly, 1/10. Also the female character model looks like someone slapped the face of a crab onto a Hershey's Kiss. Expand
  4. Apr 15, 2020
    I thought it was mediocre at best. I couldn't get into it. The story was lame, the battle system was clunky, the art was unimpressive, and the levels were too linear. 3/10 is a charitable score.

I feel like some of these 10/10 reviews may not be legit...
  5. Sep 16, 2019
    i fell for the hype surrounding this game. Combat boring and repetitive. Music cheesy and not suitable to environments. Acting is garbage. Story predictable.
  6. Dec 7, 2019
    Switch devs need to do better. I know the hardware isn’t great to be working with and god knows how much it limits them, but this title is unacceptable.
  7. Apr 21, 2020
    Awfull game, like all games of platinum, this Japanesse games like a manga or anime are boreed and so fuc...and annoying, the music make a headache, the gameplay its simply bad and the palet of colors are sooooo fu... ugly, this colors have can to provoke a epiletical attack.
  8. Sep 8, 2019
    Franchement l'un des pires jeux de chez Platinium Games, tout dedans est très mauvais voir nul.
  9. Sep 20, 2019
    1.畫面太複雜,根本看不到敵人和攻擊,連主角自己的狀態都看不到
    2.背景會擋住主角視線
    3.操作雷基恩移動就不能調視角,失敗 4.按鍵之間有優先順序,動作之間的切換沒有很流暢,常常因為前一個動作沒執行完錯過回避的時機 5.劇情背景很多沒交代,玩完還是一頭霧水 6.錯過小型事件要整節重打 7.一些按鍵設計要按下類比搖桿,但是又沒有很精準 8.對敵人的視角沒有很好調整的機制,打不到想打的敵人,從遊戲很前期就有這個缺陷 9.鎖鍊跳的位置在邊緣的判定有問題,很難完全判斷能不能跳到不會摔落的位置
    1.畫面太複雜,根本看不到敵人和攻擊,連主角自己的狀態都看不到
    7.一些按鍵設計要按下類比搖桿,但是又沒有很精準
    8.對敵人的視角沒有很好調整的機制,打不到想打的敵人,從遊戲很前期就有這個缺陷
    9.鎖鍊跳的位置在邊緣的判定有問題,很難完全判斷能不能跳到不會摔落的位置
  10. Sep 3, 2019
    I am stunned, how the well known sites and reviewers are hyping this game.
    For me it plays like a 10$ game, unpolished and uninspired. Graphics are nice, but that is all.
    Pro:
    - graphics
    Cons:
    - sloppy programmed acting of the characters
    - uninspired story
    - no reason to play it, basically. Predecessors (Bajonetta, Nier Automata) are way better
  11. Sep 4, 2019
    This is such a meh game, I can not understand the hype around it, It does not excels in anything, is pretty but no different from many other arts I've seen in other Japanese games, and that this level of graphics are running in 30 fps is just a shame.
  12. Sep 4, 2019
    Una falta de respeto por borrar las notas. El juego es uno del montón. No destaca en historia haciendola muy predecible. El sistema de combate nada innovador.
  13. Sep 3, 2019
    Let me start by saying, no, this isn't a fake review by a Sony fanboy like a lot are claiming all negative reviews are. I am more likely to be a Nintendo fanboy, my favourite games of all time are Nintendo exclusive, the Switch is my favourite console ever, I pretty much only play Switch and PC these days. Not only that, but I am a huge fan of Platinum Games, who I believe are responsibleLet me start by saying, no, this isn't a fake review by a Sony fanboy like a lot are claiming all negative reviews are. I am more likely to be a Nintendo fanboy, my favourite games of all time are Nintendo exclusive, the Switch is my favourite console ever, I pretty much only play Switch and PC these days. Not only that, but I am a huge fan of Platinum Games, who I believe are responsible for some of the best action games ever.

With that out of the way, let me express how I think this game is utter garbage. First I will list off the positives, as it will be quite quick to get through them all:

Pros:
    -Interesting world building full of interesting ideas. This is one of the first Platinum Games original IPs that has an intricate and well thought out world design, that doesn't exist solely as an excuse for bombastic action set pieces.

-Lots of unique and great ideas with combat and exploration using the game's centric gimmick.

-A distinct visual style with popping colour design.

Ok, now that's out of the way, let's talk about the negatives, which, in my opinion, is basically everything else:

-The combat system. Right, so the opening of the game shows you what the combat system is like without the legion gimmick, and I think anyone who would argue this is in any way good is lying. You have one button for attacks and you can dodge out the way. That's essentially as deep as the core combat of your character is, instead of having a super powerful, quick and stylish playable character that feels constantly fun and rewarding, you have a slow, weak and simple human that can't really do a whole lot. Luckily, you are given a legion near the end of the opening, where combat opens up slightly more. Now you have the ability to summon in an assistant who is chained to you, and control where they move. But that is it for now. You get to tell what looks like a fun character where to attack, while you're still stuck being boring. As the game goes on, you get given more and more abilities for your legion and the chain between you is used as a combat mechanic in various ways that are actually quite clever in concept, One of the most fun examples is the way you can make a chain line that acts as an elastic band to fling charging enemies back and stun them. The first time you use it, it feels pretty fun, but eventually, it just becomes a chore to keep doing. Imagine a significantly slower paced version of The Wonderful 101's mechanics. The other thing is you get legion attacks, which you can activate in certain situations or after your one button combos finish. This never seems to go beyond 'press the button' when you see a flash and only seems to add to the flashy visuals than it does to the gameplay. You can also learn parrying, which works similarly to Metal Gear Rising. The game continues like this, where instead of fleshing out your base combat, you're simply given more and more 'extras' to make it more complicated. There are a lot of clever ideas, but they felt more to me like tacked on gimmicks that got in the way of the fun, rather than enhancing it.The entire time I was playing, I was wishing that I would just play as the legion on its own, that actually looks fun. Why is the game getting to have all the fun while I have to deal with the busy work?

The other huge negative is the camera and lock on controls, which in tight spaces, are **** atrocious. Your view is constantly getting obscured by various objects, walls or other enemies. You can't move the camera manually without locking on to another enemy and changing your camera completely, so you're left relying on the auto lock on to focus on the right thing without getting blocked - which is rare. The developers seemed to know this, so they decided to make the vast majority of the games combat take place is barren, flat and open grey and red areas, sacrificing interesting and varied level design to make the camera more bearable. This ties in to the next criticism:

The mission and area design. The structure of a mission starts with extremely slow paced, ancient-feeling investigative sections in small and samey urban areas. There is nothing interesting about these sections at all other than a few cool little secrets to find. Other than that, they just serve as a blockade preventing you from just getting to action gameplay at a reasonable pace. Which makes the term 'action-packed' for this game feel quite insulting. Once you finally reach the actual gameplay - the levels are all indistinguishable red and grey cubey areas with very basic and slow paced platforming that feels straight out of a bad PS2 era game, mixed with lite and uninteresting puzzle solving, with a few combat encounters here and there. I honestly feel anyone who describes this game as 'action-packed' is spitefully lying to you. It's slow, awkward, clumsy and altogether all these ideas come together in a poorly executed mess.

Hugely disappointed.
  14. Sep 4, 2019
    No comprendo a la gente que está tan contenta con este juego. Va completamente a tirones y me ha crasheado varias veces, la historia no tiene ningún sentido, es completamente infumable.

A ver si tengo suerte y no borran mi review por ser negativa, ya que gastarste 50€ en esto es tirar el dinero completamente.
  15. Sep 5, 2019
    I traded it in after playing for several hours. Exploration is a bore and using the astral chain is clunky. Rumor is it gets better but I want willing to put any more time into this game. Traded in within the first week. Buyer beware. Rating game too low because others are rating it too high. Visuals are great but gameplay is most important to me.
  16. Nov 10, 2019
    Cast: 2/10
    Story: 2/10
    Fun: 2/10
    Gameplay: 4/10

Not Recommended
    ----------------------
  17. Sep 3, 2019
    I kinda regret buying this one.
    The beginning of the game is extremely slow (and the moto gameplay is awful), the mystery phase are a joke, and don't even talk about the scenario or the music.
    Thankfully, the gameplay is good with some rpg elements, but the game still has lot of annoying chapters or bad things like the plateformer. Oh well, at least i didn't lost any money after
    I kinda regret buying this one.

Oh well, at least i didn't lost any money after finishing it fast.
  18. Sep 2, 2019
    This is a game about making circles... its aggressively mediocre. Boring and bland. What happened? How is this popular? It looks worse than some phone games. I'm disappointed I spent the money for it, was really excited actually. Love the bayonetta series, why did they waste their time on this.
  19. XB0
    Aug 30, 2019
    ¿Qué se puede decir de Astral Chain?
    Antes de que uno lo probara puede decir muchas cosas ya que el desarrollador no es nadie más que Platinum Games.
    Comenzaré con los puntos buenos. El apartado artístico es bueno (No lo mejor que he visto, pero ahí está) Ahora los puntos malos (Si eres fanboy de Platinum o Nintendo mejor busque otra review que le haya puesto 10 sin haberlo jugado)
    ¿Qué se puede decir de Astral Chain?
    Comenzaré con los puntos buenos.
    El apartado artístico es bueno (No lo mejor que he visto, pero ahí está)

Prosigo
    Uno después de jugar NieR: Automata uno esperaba una historia sobresaliente, ya que al parecer se veia que cada título hecho por Platinum iba mejorando progresivamente. A mí parecer la historia peca de ser simplona y no te exige para nada el entenderla. (Para alguien casual supongo que la historia estará bien)
    Algo que hace por ejemplo muy amado a la saga Devil May Cry es el carisma de los personajes ya que estos te generan una empatía que te dan ganas de seguir jugando cosa que no pasa en Astral Chain, ya que muchos llegan a ser planos y monótonos cosa que no ayuda mucho a la rejugabilidad por espantarnos con ello.
    Los puzzles del juego tienden a ser repetitivos y muy poco interesantes. Este aspecto no contribuye mucho al gameplay, cosa que solo genera bajar la calidad del mismo.
    Siento mucho reciclaje en el uso de escenarios. Si bien reutilizar uno que otro escenario no está mal, aquí pudieron haberlo hecho mejor más que todo por el género.
    El diseño de personajes se me es muy genérico y eso es muy negativo ya que el juego no podrá ser muy memorable ni siquiera por ese apartado
    Algo muy importante en los hack & slash es la fluidez y que este juego vaya a 30fps es sin duda un gran handicap para la jugabilidad. Hay que ser muy necio para decir que los 60fps no son necesarios aquí y muy hater para decir que otros juegos (que no requieren 60fps) van a 30.

Otras pegas:
    - La cámara
    - Las investigaciones entorpecen el ritmo del juego
    - Clichés

Conclusión: Astral Chain llega a ser un videojuego que al final de todo no está muy seguro de qué quiere lograr. El gameplay llega a ser desordenado para los casuals a lo que me parece que el juego está más enfocado por su historia y sus pausas con mecánicas simples y aburridas. Además de no lograr los 60fps que en este género si se requieren.
    Personajes planos que solo lograran que Astral Chain sea un juego olvidable a menos que se te venga a la mente el apartado artístico, aunque en el diseño de personajes y niveles no se llega a apreciar el mismo. Una decepción para lo que puede ofrecer el equipo de Platinum.
    Este es el peor trabajo de Platinum Games después del de las tortugas ninja, ya que en este tuvieron libertad en el desarrollo cosa que no se pudo en el juego de Activision, una pena.
    Si quieres jugar un buen hack & slash ahí tienes a Devil May Cry V, Bayonetta 2 o NieR que valen 1000 veces la pena más que este juego.
  20. Sep 3, 2019
    Barely 30fps action game with a silent/bland protagonist, bad graphics, forgettable story and mediocore combat. Just bad.
  21. Sep 3, 2019
    Un juego.mas del montón de switch en lo personal no me gustó.....eso sin contar a nivel gráfico deja mucho que desear...en fin
  22. Sep 4, 2019
    LLevo ya más de 20 horas de juego, la intención es buena, pero mal ejecutada, no se siente la misma sensación frenética de otros Hack and Slash, el gameplay al estar a 30fps se siente muy poco fluído, un hack and slash siempre debe ir a 60fps, es lo que han hecho todos los buenos referentes del género. En un RPG por turnos no afecta, o en juegos de aventura, pero en juegos de este géneroLLevo ya más de 20 horas de juego, la intención es buena, pero mal ejecutada, no se siente la misma sensación frenética de otros Hack and Slash, el gameplay al estar a 30fps se siente muy poco fluído, un hack and slash siempre debe ir a 60fps, es lo que han hecho todos los buenos referentes del género. En un RPG por turnos no afecta, o en juegos de aventura, pero en juegos de este género es indispensable.
    Otra queja es que tiene mucho input lag el juego, y aunque la historia es muy buena, el gameplay defrauda bastante, ojalá mejore después con un parche o algo. Yo lo venderé y jugaré algo más por el momento.
  23. Sep 2, 2019
    I'm not giving it a zero because "Not on PS4" like some people, but the game literally crashed my Switch. It's unplayable to me.
  24. Sep 1, 2019
    In my 20 plus years of gaming I never seen such an overhyped and overrated game such as Astral Chain, the initial first hour of the game is so slow pace that almost made me stop playing, the framerate is God awful, theres framepacing issues all over the place, the pacing of the game has no direction as it seems to be fluffed up with meaningless busy work, the graphics are okay but theIn my 20 plus years of gaming I never seen such an overhyped and overrated game such as Astral Chain, the initial first hour of the game is so slow pace that almost made me stop playing, the framerate is God awful, theres framepacing issues all over the place, the pacing of the game has no direction as it seems to be fluffed up with meaningless busy work, the graphics are okay but the whole "Cell shaded " look is played out already and it's mostly used to Hide the switch's shortcomings, the whole Cell shaded look is pretty outdated by today's standards, ....yes it was great on zelda botw but now its just redundant and getting old, in conclusion...Astral Chain is just not worth the asking price as it plays more like a budget tittle than its AAA price suggests. Expand
  25. Sep 2, 2019
    Switch died during a Fight on Chapter 8.
    Started slowing down really hard and overheated. Looked nice at least... But a Dead switch...
  26. Sep 3, 2019
    The gameplay is really bad in TV mode,gameplay is worse than NieR Automata's
  27. Sep 7, 2019
    After finishing the game and giving it a chance, I can give an appropriate opinion with knowledge about this game. For my taste it has been long, heavy, boring and repetitive, I have not liked the graphics and the game mechanics very thick. With all this I do not recommend it at all and I give it a 1 of total note. Dont Buy this game people.
  28. Aug 30, 2019
    It’s a rare occasion that I have complete disdain for something while also heavy admiration for its creators. But here that only serves to heighten my dissatisfaction: astral chain is inadequate because, while not bad*, it has glaring, obvious faults:

Unintelligible combat - with the acception of some bosses every combat sequence is too busy with enemies acting independently contrasting each other in a cacophony(sic?) of overlapping overlysimple monotony. And the combat mechanics are completely interchangable removing the development or necessity of any skill.

Horrible dialogue/ voice acting - The characters have no personality or charisma. The lines are often highly illogical with the overal conclusion of each interaction conflicting characters haphazardly built up individualty betraying a sense of vacancy on the writers part. And the voice acting is equally robotic and contrived highlighted by being programmed disjointedly contributing to an overall sense of such flagrant carelessness it’s offensive.

Bad visuals - the game has an attractive art style, but the environments are extremely repetitive and bland. The only saving grace here is the boss design

Conclusion: the developers chose a cash grab at the expensive of the customers value. Why play astral chain? Because there’s nothing better to do. But there is

*(in my opinion for a game to be bad it needs to be nearly empty or extremely sensually abrasive)
  29. Aug 30, 2019
    If you want a good action game buy Bayonetta, Nier Automata or MGR. This game has none depth.
  30. Aug 30, 2019
    30 FPS action game. In honesty there shouldn't be anything else to say but I can go the extra mile in telling you why you should stay away from this game, or at the very least dissuade you from paying full price for it. They decided to not let the game speak for itself and will flood you will cinematic shots and anime set pieces that distract away from the actual gameplay (which on it's30 FPS action game. In honesty there shouldn't be anything else to say but I can go the extra mile in telling you why you should stay away from this game, or at the very least dissuade you from paying full price for it. They decided to not let the game speak for itself and will flood you will cinematic shots and anime set pieces that distract away from the actual gameplay (which on it's own is pretty good). If they removed how many times the game decides to interrupt the flow of gameplay it would have been much better. Purchase it on sale if you really have to or try to borrow it from a friend since its only like 15 hours long. Expand
  31. Sep 2, 2019
    Couldn’t get it to work at first. After 3 hours of customer service with a woman who definitely hates my guts, I finally got to play the game. It was buggy, generic, and had a lackluster story. Extremely disappointed, was looking forward to this game awhile now.
  32. Aug 31, 2019
    I was very excited for this game however it is fairly disappointing.

I was very excited for this game however it is fairly disappointing.

Technically the game is a mess. It runs with 30FPS like many have said and that sucks, but the larger issue is that the FOV is tiny which is a huge problem fighting mobs as you are supposed to fling your legion at enemies, then jump to it at a precise moment... however the camera rarely actually points at where you are flinging him. this is why people say the bosses are most enjoyable because you can just target them and more or less the camera will stick to them but for 90% of fights you are fighting at least 3-4 enemies at a time and it is a mess... and you are doing it all in 30FPS. i guess what i am saying is that the fighting, which is by far the main attraction, ends up as a button masher.

The structure of the game doesn't fare much better although that is mostly a matter of taste, and my taste don't like it :) For a hack and slash action game there are long stretches without actual hacking and slashing.

During half of the game you end up solving mundane puzzles that are not very thematic. basically most of the puzzles in this game will be right at home in BOTW for instance. seriously, stepping on 2 panes to unlock the next section, have to hit 3 flying balls at the same time to open the next section. simple and uninspired.

puzzles in action games really break the flow too. for instance you go to training and you get tutorials for all those cool and useful fighting stuff, and next mission was to have to talk to every person in a city block. the mission didn't mark who i need to talk to (just who i have talked to) so I spend the next 45 minutes, ended up watching an youtube video) because there was this kid in a corner not marked in any way, that i had to press A next to.

Or a little later, I am fighting, its good, then I they tell me i have to hit 3 moving balls at the same time. That took a few tries and completely ruined the pacing of the whole level, which was already ruined because there is a dumb puzzle between every fight.

And a lot of bosses are puzzles in themselves, like a mario boss. you have to do specific things to be able to hurt the boss. there is no creativity, just use this skill in this exact way and then you can do dmg for a few seconds, rinse and repeat 20 to 30 times.

in a way the combat is not even that original as it is basically DMC5 crow character, the guy that doesn't fight directly you know but uses animals and stuff.

overall, i think the game is a technical failure and whatever good design may exist I for one could not get to it. i still have strong respect for platinum games and will pre-order their next game no questions asked. they are trying new things, it just doesn't always work out.
  33. Sep 9, 2019
    30fps... lmao, this game is overrated and mediocre, just another cheap and uninspired side project for Nintendo by Platinum Games. Astral Chain, Bayonetta 3, Babylon's Fall are all being worked on at the same time by B-Team members and are small side projects to scam idiots out of their money, that is why Kamiya is not involved with them. Platinum game has 2 MAIN projects that are both30fps... lmao, this game is overrated and mediocre, just another cheap and uninspired side project for Nintendo by Platinum Games. Astral Chain, Bayonetta 3, Babylon's Fall are all being worked on at the same time by B-Team members and are small side projects to scam idiots out of their money, that is why Kamiya is not involved with them. Platinum game has 2 MAIN projects that are both currently secret and being designed for next generation consoles, these are the real GOOD games we will see from Platinum Games and Platinum Games have stated that they will own these IPs and want to become a proper independent studio, similar to From Software and Capcom. We are going to see great things from Platinum Games. So these two next gen titles will be PC/PS5/XboxScarlet multi-platform games. Expand
  34. Sep 6, 2019
    -Bad story
    -Too easy
    -Bad optimization
    -Bad graphics
    -Goes at 30 fps
    -In short it is a mediocre game
  35. Sep 3, 2019
    Totally dissapointed not an open world, very repetitive, 60 usd very expensive, low resolution and low frame rate on portable mode.on switch
  36. Aug 31, 2019
    So tired of Nintendo games being cell shaded, first Breath Of The Wild, Fire Emblem, now **** Chain, Stop with everything being Cell Shaded. What's next Metroid Prime 4 being cell shaded? Done with it.
  37. Sep 3, 2019
    The game is short, 9 hours I finished and easy, the story is very linear, I expected something else.
  38. Aug 30, 2019
    Awful, awful. Do not recommend. The combat is not as cool as the trailers made it seem. Characters are boring and uninspired. The controls are hit and miss. Do not buy.
  39. Sep 1, 2019
    Annoying combat features (slowing down), ugly graphics/character design looking pixelated, bland characters and predictable typical anime story. Just returned the game half-way in. Not everyone who gave this game a low rating was because it's an exclusive tbh. Just personally unenjoyable.
  40. Aug 31, 2019
    Horrible combat with a lot of stopping, pausing, flashing and limitations, Summoning and fighting against an enemy has a lot of interruptions some are QTE-segments breaking the flow of combat the Legions are clunky to control, character moveset is poor compared to the like of bayonetta, MGRR etc. and the poor stealth mechanic that shouldn't be in game. The game runs 30fps with enemiesHorrible combat with a lot of stopping, pausing, flashing and limitations, Summoning and fighting against an enemy has a lot of interruptions some are QTE-segments breaking the flow of combat the Legions are clunky to control, character moveset is poor compared to the like of bayonetta, MGRR etc. and the poor stealth mechanic that shouldn't be in game. The game runs 30fps with enemies having huge hitboxes, the story, quest, voice acting,cenimatics etc. the gameplay in general is not as good as most platinum games all in all not worth it! Expand
  41. Sep 2, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played this game and returned it the next day for less than half of what I payed because I don't like tedious button mashing, I don't like long time to kills, and i especially don't like playing a grunting sidekick who has to kill his/her own sibling(who is the actual hero).
    What's more, I don't like professional Nintendo review sites saying people giving this game a low score are jealous because they don't have Switches. I do but that doesn't mean I have to like this game. If it weren't for the M.S.M. I never would have left this review to refute them. Good job!
  42. Aug 30, 2019
    Astral Chain is The Little Engine That Couldn't become a Nier: Automata.
    It was a good try, though. Maybe in a better platform with not that many limitations.
  43. Sep 4, 2019
    Bad game and boring nothing special about it it just hack and slash game with boring storyline
  44. Sep 6, 2019
    I don’t like the colors of this game. The gameplay is not very appealing. I am very disappointed, maybe I would give it better score if it was much cheaper. I don’t understand why many were excited about this.
  45. Dec 12, 2021
    Huge repetitive mess!!! It doesnt know when to end. Like 7 times I thought the game would end and then it starts all over again. The director was having ideas everyday and inserting as he pleased.

It doesnt know if it is a action hack'n slash, or rpg or stealth. Mix all them together and you have a boring repetitive (including the music) game. story is cliche AF. even naruto didnt

story is cliche AF. even naruto didnt have so many cheesy dialogues and predictable story points. You play the chapters already knowing the boss doesnt die and will come back later.

All the good score were made by people that played 3 to 5 hours max, and all of them say they will come back to play the game later and just give high score fo this **** Even critics didnt finish this game or got to half of it to realize how bad this exclusive game is.

Buy for 20 bucks if you can, Not worth full price.
  46. Sep 6, 2019
    El juego es monotono y muy molesto, los colores pastel dan una apariencia extrana y tratan de ocultar la baja capacidad gráfica de la consola con movimientos de cámara extraños, es un intento desesperado por aparentar variedad en este sistema
  47. Oct 18, 2019
    I am sorry but it is just not a good game. I love Platinum games and for me Nier Automata is the best game i ever played, but this....NO. It has too many mechanics, too much to control
  48. Oct 7, 2021
    I started this game and it was really exciting but also so forgettable. I played about am hour and then forgot about it. I do this about every 6 months. I play it and then lose any interest to put it on again.

It's very Hollywood. And Hollywood sucks balls.
  49. Dec 5, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Es un juego penoso muy aburrido la dificultad es muy fácil en fin un juego recomendable cuando cueste 2 dólares Expand
  50. Sep 20, 2019
    The character design is amazing and the game has a nice pace to it. Being mission based rather than open world is the better fit allowing levels to be replayed on higher difficulty while seeming out secrets or side quest at times. Overall a must own for switch
  51. Oct 23, 2019
    This game contains a lot of locations in the "parallel world" with extremely poor level design (like "organic levels" in DMC5).
  52. Jul 6, 2020
    Poor story and boring game play. The game is too short. I don't know why the review score is too overate
  53. Nov 11, 2021
    You either keep your character's family alive and be deemed awake yet imprisoned in police jail, or you kill your family and be cursed asleep but gain access to full functionality of the game mechanics. gtfoutta here platinum games. I'm reselling this game for 15 bucks.
  54. Feb 1, 2021
    boring, combat is a joke, music is awful and repetitive, designed to put you to sleep, just like the rest of the game. couldn't care less about any of the characters or their motivations, this just feels really half @$$ed honestly. i'm done after a couple hours. I can't believe how much money they're asking for this. unbelievable. I've never had a more boring gaming experience in my life.
  55. Apr 8, 2021
    `This game and I mean this with my heart, blows more than my ex wife when her boyfriend was over! Some Dicc named Nicc said this game was I dunno and I was like **** it's dumb anime stuff you weeb!" and he was like "I'll give you a copy dumb jewish human" and I was like "fine" then he came and kept his copy and then made a baby with my dog. Weird day but yk not bad still DNF was better.
  56. Jul 10, 2021
    I have no idea why or how this game is highly rated. I can't find a single good thing to write about the game.

Story progression is so painfully slow that there is barely any story. Worse it feels completely disconnected. One character almost dies and gets hospitalized, when he returns there is barely any mention of him almost dying. We continue like nothing happened. Oh he also gets a power up but we don't talk about how or why either.
    Graphics might be the only thing half good but then IRIS mode turns everything gray and destroys it.
    Game-play is very repetitive, you go to town, clear streets find chests to get items that most of which will disappear at the end of level. Do side quests that are completely pointless and boring like carrying boxes without dropping them(Hello I have a few Legions that can help with it). Find the dungeon entrance go into it to fight monsters and kill the boss . This will progress the story by mostly saying new monster gets sighted we should go check it out and repeat the process. If there was any character or combat progression it might not have been that bad but combat wise there is barely any difference between chapter 3 and chapter 8. You get a couple of more legions that you barely use, that is pretty much it.
    I must be around %75 of the game I wanted to push it to the end but it feels more like a torture at this point and I am not even curious about the ending so I gave up.
  57. Jul 30, 2021
    The only positive I can give this game is the developers ambition as well as there style. Everything else is either subpar or just straight up awful. This game is severely overhyped. Combat is interesting for about an hour then gets increasingly dull by the time you’ve finished. The story is just straight up bad. It’s the most generic rip off of a bad Shonen with a dash of Evangelion atThe only positive I can give this game is the developers ambition as well as there style. Everything else is either subpar or just straight up awful. This game is severely overhyped. Combat is interesting for about an hour then gets increasingly dull by the time you’ve finished. The story is just straight up bad. It’s the most generic rip off of a bad Shonen with a dash of Evangelion at the end and it handles it extremely poorly. Everything about it is extremely predictable and there really aren’t any likeable characters. Your protagonist that you pick doesn’t say a word the whole time and that severely holds it back. Some games like Zelda know how to do this right, but this is an option where it’s done poorly. On top of all that, the English voice dub acting is just not good. All the supposedly emotional moments are laughable. All of the detective files, which is about 40% of the game, all feel like filler just to pad the runtime and make it unnecessary long. Overall, terrible game and completely overhyped, don’t waste your money. Expand
  58. Sep 10, 2021
    I do not understand what is the hype around this game. Nowadays people become fanboys just because and true gaming experience is being lost. I must say that I absolutely love Nintendo and their exclusives, and Nier Automata is one of my favorite games ever and I'm a huge Bayonetta fan too, and Astral Chain, this piece of crap is SO FAR away from being half as good as previous PlatinumI do not understand what is the hype around this game. Nowadays people become fanboys just because and true gaming experience is being lost. I must say that I absolutely love Nintendo and their exclusives, and Nier Automata is one of my favorite games ever and I'm a huge Bayonetta fan too, and Astral Chain, this piece of crap is SO FAR away from being half as good as previous Platinum Games.

PROS:
    - I personally like the combat system and gameplay, if there was enough action in the game
    - Graphically it looks very original and well presented (I just think it was a silly idea to make this around COPS, yes you are a cop)

CONS:
    - I absolutely hated the endless and LAZY chores you have to go through, the side quests are not enjoyable or entertaining AT ALL.
    - The map system fails very often and you get to be lost very easily while doing stupid chores (not fun at all), on top of it the character cannot jump, or get through little babies obstacles, making it even more frustrating.
    - Most of the game you will be talking to NPC's and completing boring tasks and then all of the sudden you fight a boss for 3 minutes, then you start another stupid quest-chore that will take 30-60 minutes and then start another loop of silly quest, gathering clues and other stuff that really takes away the fun, to the point that it makes you regret the purchase. This game is freaking $59.99! I wouldn't even pay $5 to "play" this so called "gem"
    - I'm OK with linear games, but this one is linear and BORING, don't expect to have freedom at all.
    - Characters are not mesmerising not memorable at all, in fact, many of them are annoying, predictable and scripted.
    - You get to have limited customization but most of the items are useless, I completed perhaps half of the game, gotten all the legions and got a lot of items stored that really are not essential to fight battles like you did in Nier Automata or great games like The Witcher series. Besides the methods to use/equip items is very irritating.
    - It gets old VERY FAST, you may feel it is cool the first few days but you will get bored fast.
    - Oh boy the story is utterly predictable not memorable and 0% exciting.
    - NO REPLAYIBILITY - I came to the conclusion that I'm playing this crap just because, but definitely wouldn't play it again nor getting any expansion if there will be any.

All in all, do yourself a favour and save $59.99, you can get like 5 better games in the Nintendo's Great Deals library. By the way, this is my first review here, to give you an idea of how much I hated it, maybe it helps someone save money and most importantly YOUR TIME. I still do not understand why and how this game gained such good scores, I would give it a generous 2 out of 10.

Cheers!
  59. May 1, 2022
    boring boring story. confusing colors moving so fast, can't recognize what I playing. waste my time and money. my worst game of nintendo switch.
  60. Jun 22, 2020
    Definitely a case of game that's not for me. I thought this was the one to convert me to stylish, button combo action, and gave it a solid 15 hours before I had to quit. Frustrating, headache inducing combat. I later switched to Unchained but that only replaced the frustrating combat with boredom. So, yeah. Not for me. Also, playing as a cop. Yuck.
  61. May 15, 2022
    Could be fun, but his story is mediocre and the camera problems are unbearables.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 92 Critic Reviews

1. Nintendo Force Magazine
    Apr 28, 2020
    This one is more of a crowd-pleaser than a game-changer. [Issue #42 – October 2019, p. 68]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 28, 2020
    Astral Chain consists of varied genres, but is mostly an action game, which has great ideas and interesting, relaxed humour, that doesn´t spoil its serious plot. [Issue#298]
  3. Nov 7, 2019
    Despite the hardware limitations and a handful of odd design choices, Astral Chain is one of the best new IPs to hit in recent years and one deserving the attention of every Switch owner.