5.4

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Dec 29, 2021
    It plays horribly on the switch, I don't get why it had to be exclusive only in America when the game is fully translated, cant get behind this practice.
  2. Jul 2, 2021
    There is an awful lot to cover in any in-depth review of Disgaea 6, but for most readers, a single paragraph can save them a lot of time: If you are new to Disgaea, you won’t know what’s missing, but the game will likely feel awkward and inconsistent in its complexity. If you’re a veteran who never cared much about mechanics, but liked the setting and characters, you’ll find this aThere is an awful lot to cover in any in-depth review of Disgaea 6, but for most readers, a single paragraph can save them a lot of time: If you are new to Disgaea, you won’t know what’s missing, but the game will likely feel awkward and inconsistent in its complexity. If you’re a veteran who never cared much about mechanics, but liked the setting and characters, you’ll find this a sub-par, but not horrible entry. If, however, you are a long time Disgaea player who loved it for its wide array of diverse, long running systems, Disgaea 6 will likely be a deeply unsatisfying experience. For such players, it is the worst in the series, and much of this review will be dedicated to highlighting what has been lost. The deep cuts in classes are the tip of a much larger iceberg.
    Though a very great deal was cut, what was kept appears not to have much rhyme, reason, or coherent planning, even for the purpose of making the game more welcoming to new players. One strong example of this is the removal of the game’s most basic special attacks, weapon skills. These skills, which rely on the use of a specific weapon type, have always been gained in the past by equipping the appropriate weapon and using it. Now, if you want a class to use a weapon skill it didn’t previously gain, you have to start it as a class that does get those skills, level it until it has them, then reincarnate into the class you wanted in the first place. Not exactly the friendly, barrier-reducing change it was meant to be, is it? Spells, at least, can be found on scrolls and learned.
    For whatever reason, NIS decided to build their own 3D engine in-house for Disgaea 6. This is an especially bad idea for a company as small as NIS, with no real experience in engine design. The result is a game that runs poorly on the Nintendo Switch. There are three graphics modes. At the highest quality setting, Disgaea 6 will dip to single digit framerate even just in your headquarters. It would’ve been worse if they’d had to manage more classes. Performance mode degrades the character models so badly they’re nearly unrecognizable. This is not an acceptable experience for a console game.
    So, what have we gained? NIS offered a massively raised damage cap and level ceiling. This, it turns out, is a half-truth. While the level cap has certainly gone up drastically, it’s more akin to inflation than actually raising anything. By the second chapter of the game, players will have characters with levels high enough to finish any previous Disgaea game’s main story. For years, when people asked why Disgaea couldn’t just divide its levels by 100 and cap at 99 like most games, my answer was simple: the game started with single digit numbers and worked its way up. The entire spectrum of levels was relevant. Now, there’s absolutely no reason not to cut off a few digits from the end of the numbers.
    We’ve also gained the ability to not play the game. Arguably the single most impactful addition to Disgaea 6, players can now let the game play itself like a mobile game in farm mode. In the post-game of previous Disgaeas, I could somewhat appreciate this, as power leveling inevitably meant running the most efficient map, finishing it in one attack, and repeating. While a useful sleep aid, this stopped a lot of people from pursuing the post-game. Those people are now appeased: the game will simply grind for them. It’s possible to simply have the game play itself altogether by configuring how each unit should behave in auto-battle. If you want to play the game that little, there are probably other games you’d enjoy more anyway, but for those who are content to let the maps play themselves, the option is now there.
    There are two new features that stand out as good additions: the juice bar and post-map bonus experience. The former passively collects some of the experience and mana gained to be spent as you like later, a nice headstart for a new character, or a bump for an existing one. The latter gives bonus experience or mana to characters who were number one at something on that map (damage, throws, healing, etc.) Weighed against the losses throughout the rest of the game though, these improvements are cold comfort.
    Disgaea 6 should serve as a cautionary tale about both the pace of change, and change to attract new customers to old franchises, and can be summed up nicely by an old adage: “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.” In chasing new players, NIS changed or removed so much that was fundamental about the franchise that they lost sight of what made it special to the customers they already had. Systems and classes have always come and gone in Disgaea, but not until this iteration has it truly lost its foundation. It is my sincere wish that NIS finds it again. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on extra copies of every Disgaea to give to others. This is the first time I regret even buying my own copy.
  3. Jul 10, 2021
    Needs significant touchup work done; odd freezes at the beginning of conversations (usually after returning from missions); audio skips/cuts out during dialogue; the graphics are incredibly poorly optimized for the Switch (yeah, sure, you can reduce the graphics quality in the settings, but it’s absurd that it isn't optimized for the platform it’s meant to run on in the first place).
  4. Jul 11, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a hardcore Disgaea fan, as much as I super excited about Disgaea 6. For me this is the worst Disgaea game.

OPENING.
    Every disgaea game got an anime opening except disgaea 1. Seems like Disgaea 6 also trying to follow Disgaea 1 pattern, so yeah no anime opening for Disgaea 6. I bet they are trying to minimize their budget

STORYWISE,
    To be honest. Disgaea story started with great story for the first title and began to decline in quality throughout the series but I was expecting Disgaea 6 would fix it or make it back on par with Disgaea 1 or 4. Unfortunately no, the story were bad as Disgaea 5 or even worse (again, this is my preference storywise). Disgaea 6 got 2 arc. the first arc was rubbish. 10 chapters but the story doesn't have the flow and felt unnatural, not to mention the diversity of staging/areas aset were reused back and the story delivery were the same for each chapter, repetitive. the characters felt bland and somehow felt unrelated. 2nd arc, felt like disgaea story like previous one. The skits inbetween each chapter were horrible. imagine hearing and seeing the same skit start up "previously, on Disgaea 6" "Super reincarnated Zed and company found themselves in a BRAND NEW WORLD!" "the wheels of reincarnation never stop, and thus, a new story begins..." for 14 freaking chapters, so lame.

Game Stage
    BORING, less challenging, no brainer stages, not optimize the usage of geo panel to make the stages more challenging, can just bulldoze all the stages using auto-battle. The most annoying thing about Disgaea 6. You fight the SAME FREAKING BOSS FOR 14 CHAPTERS. imagine it for 14 chapters fighting same boss. Post game also same with story mode. No creativity, no puzzle like previous series. just grind with auto battle and you good to go. nothing complicated and over simplify.

Gameplay Mechanism
    Pros
    - Monster can Lift
    - Can Lifting and move at the same time

Semi-pros? (Some would probably find this feature a good thing, some might find it the killjoy of the game)
    - Auto-battle. I would say this is a killjoy for the game. I mean, disgaea were famous for it insane grinding. I can see it be useful for post game content where as you have to keep repeating the stages for leveling. I think auto-battle should be unlock with after the story mode with some hard to get requirement. otherwise, it defeat the purpose of the game. Would it be a game if it all have been autoed?
    - Auto-repeat. same case with auto-battle

Cons
    -They cut down so many classes
    -No more weapon skill
    -There are unique character but because of no more weapon skill and each character and classes have their own set of skill. Everyone are unique character lol. no more "generic" character.
    -No more tower attack and animation
    -No more team attack and animation
    -Countering skill, apparently in Disgaea 6 you can counter attack skill.
    -Level, character class level, weapon proficiency level all can be bought to the max using HL. again, it's defeating the purpose of Disgaea grinding system.
    -auto-battle with proper A.I set up make the item world a joke.

Overall
    -They over simplify the game
    -too much automation. it's like disgaea now become an idle mobile game where you just turn on the game and let it play by itself. no more pleasure of grinding the game and defeating the last post game boss.

This is what I felt playing Disgaea 6 till post game. Not gonna lie, I even felt wanna drop the games in 1st arc but thinking it would be better eventually when progress, I was wrong

Well everyone are entitle to their opinion but this my review about the games. yes I am salty with the way the game goes.
  5. Jul 2, 2021
    I really hate to write a negative review of a Disgaea game, but the 6th entry is by far one of the most disappointing releases. The biggest problem I have with the game is that it's exclusive to the Switch in the West, but also manages to run like crap on the hardware. I think it's really anti-consumer to gatekeep the PS4 version from the West when it would have played a lot better thanI really hate to write a negative review of a Disgaea game, but the 6th entry is by far one of the most disappointing releases. The biggest problem I have with the game is that it's exclusive to the Switch in the West, but also manages to run like crap on the hardware. I think it's really anti-consumer to gatekeep the PS4 version from the West when it would have played a lot better than the Switch version (which was clearly not designed with the Switch in mind, let's be honest).

In Disgaea 6, there is 3 graphic settings, and all of them are unstable - somewhere between 40% to 70% stability, which is frankly embarassing for a game that looks like it should not be struggling on the Switch's hardware. The "Graphics" setting mostly runs at 20fps, but I've seen it dip to 11 and 14fps. This mode is unplayable imo, and I have no idea why it's there. The "Balanced" setting tries to hit 30fps, but it's very choppy as well and it can also dip to 15fps. The "Performance" mode runs mostly around 54-60fps, but it's still very unstable. The worst problem with this mode is how blurry it is. It is a huge shame that this game does not run at 1080p and 60fps like the past entries. I would have even accepted 1080p/30 or 720p/60, but we don't get either.

I might have given the graphics a pass if this were a heavily discounted game, but this is a full price AAA game - it's unacceptable. And if the developers had a low budget, they really should have charged less than full AAA price like many indies do - there is no excuse. They set themselves for criticism here.

On top of this, this entry really does feel rushed and lazy. For the environments, many of the areas are repeated multiple times. The gameplay is also very repetitive because you kill the same easy boss at the end of every episode, over and over again. The formula is incredibly repetitive. Disgaea 5 felt like it had many more unique episodes compared to this game.

In terms the story and characters, I think this is probably the weakest cast that I have played. I enjoyed the characters from Disgaea 1, 4 and 5 a lot more. Melodia actually kind of got very grating to me every time she started singing, just because the delivery of the dialogue was so slow and her singing was constant.

Ultimately, the game still is Disgaea, so it has the same progression systems and things fans love, but I honestly felt like the game wore out its welcome too quickly and the plot just never interested me at all. I was actually skipping dialogue quite a bit because I just didn't care, and I felt like I saw everything there was to see after about 20 hours, despite knowing there was so much more left to grind out.

There are some good qualities to the game - most of the voice acting, demonic intelligence, auto-battling, but it's not enough for me to recommend the game. To be honest, the experience was completely forgettable.

I have no desire to do the post-game - I already burnt out on it after the main story. It is what it is. Sorry I can't review that part, but I don't think it would change my rating.
  6. Jul 1, 2021
    its a disgaea game its the 6th in line. NIS knows what its doing in its niche. How they screwed up so spectaculaly I dont know. The graphics when your charecters move though is horendus. This shouldnt have got a pass it strains the eyes and takes what are supossed to be pollished chaecters and makes them stiff and blocky just to say look something new. Not digging the auto battle system.its a disgaea game its the 6th in line. NIS knows what its doing in its niche. How they screwed up so spectaculaly I dont know. The graphics when your charecters move though is horendus. This shouldnt have got a pass it strains the eyes and takes what are supossed to be pollished chaecters and makes them stiff and blocky just to say look something new. Not digging the auto battle system. update with auto battle and auto repeat for the stage the game plays it self. part of what made this series great was the grind and stratagy. Now its just an anime you leave on while you sleep come back to super leveled charecters. I supose its my own fault for not wanting to be spoiled on the game so besides launch I avoided all details of the game. If your a fan of Disgaea game play pass on this one. If your just after the story wait till its on sale for 20$ trust me with game play like this it wont be long. Rhapsody was more difficult. I am literally sitting here watching it auto battle and level and can not say that I am in any way playing this game beyond having set up it's autoplay.. I bought the collector's edition from nipon ichi software for this what a waste of money. I want to be able to post a recording of this autobattle travesty but I don't know how. Disgaea 1 through 5 and D2 all better gameplay because you actually had well polished actions for all skills and it required you to actually do something in the game. I want my money back but the collector in me wants to keep it Expand
  7. Jul 3, 2021
    Unlike a lot of people, I don't miss most of what was cut. A lot of it was things I didn't really use anyway, or even forgot you could do. That part isn't a big deal, and in some ways cutting systems was a good idea to reduce complexity that wasn't adding value.

That said, there just isn't a ton to recommend here. The graphical performance is brutal, as in "on the default setting it slows to an obvious crawl" and it impacts playing. Balanced mode is playable but not terribly nice looking, and performance mode gives something resembling a decent framerate but is unbelievably ugly. The Switch isn't a graphical powerhouse, but other games do far better than this on it.

Weaponskills are also missing, and it's really noticeable on the unique characters as they only get their own unique skills now, instead of those plus weapon skills. This didn't impact spellcasters, who get their uniques AND spells, giving them a lot more versatility while everyone else only has a relatively small number of skills. The omission is really noticable and painful. The only thing you can do for generic classes is reincarnate to another class entirely, level to get the skills there, then reincarnate back... which is silly because you'll be using a spear but can use a skill that shows an axe in the animation as it's an axe attack.

But the biggest problem is that there just isn't a ton to recommend it. While some of the characters have their moments when interacting with each other, the story itself plays out in a very repetitive way and for the most part isn't terribly interesting. The way each act ends is pretty cliched, especially if you do any side stuff like the item world and can just one shot things before cutscenes happen and you become helpless. It gets lame real fast.

What we ended up with is a game that had some good ideas and has its moments, but is utterly crippled by performance issues, a weak overarching story, and ill-concieved change to weapon skills. Shame, really.
  8. Jul 29, 2021
    A pretty decent installment in the series, I genuinely do like the automated options but it does feel slightly hard to categorise as a result, and I can see why some people loathe them. I love it for things like the Item World, but on the occasion where your AI can't complete a level it does raise questions about what it's for, and what the gameplay actually is. Likewise it's fantastic forA pretty decent installment in the series, I genuinely do like the automated options but it does feel slightly hard to categorise as a result, and I can see why some people loathe them. I love it for things like the Item World, but on the occasion where your AI can't complete a level it does raise questions about what it's for, and what the gameplay actually is. Likewise it's fantastic for level and resource grinding... but then why am I leaving my Switch on for hours at a time while I wait for things to finish off? There's more grinding than ever, therefore I'm interacting with it less than ever. It's difficult. I'd think I'd quite like to see a true idle game spinoff, just because I'd like to turn the switch off.

Adding 3 extra 0's on to every number is quite a funny idea, and it probably intentionally messed up with the sense of progression so that new players weren't turned off by the usual level 1 plinking stage, but I found it offputting to start with and very distracting and hard to read throughout.

The first third of the plot is just sequentially introducing each cast member through some of the worst and most repetitive dialogue, and at no point is anyone surprising enough or funny enough to justify that amount of work. It does warm up a bit to an okay Disgaea plot by the end, but it's so rough and lazy it's almost insulting. I don't get the vibe that this was just a bit of fun silliness, it felt churned out resentfully and I almost felt bad for being responsible for them having to keep making Disgaea. Everything about the main character's motive and "family relationship" felt alien, like it was a summary of something else that I was meant to have recognised. I'm sure it's a trope that some people just understand and engage with, and I'm glad some people are liking it. But it really annoyed me.

And finally, I'd still be playing it but after about 50 hours it began freezing constantly and I went from genuinely not caring about the performance and visual options, to just deleting it. A huge shame really, though I am assured by the internet that this barely happens to anyone, so it's probably still worth getting. Perhaps don't buy the DLC before you reach the postgame though.
  9. Jun 30, 2021
    A port so bad they had to add a graphical quality setting on a console game. The choice is bad stop-motion, or looking at the game through a heavy mist. It's heartbreaking, lazy, and insulting to fans who are told to buy this crap in the hopes that 7 will be better. I can't even get into the quality of the game itself because of how bad it runs. It's "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how wasA port so bad they had to add a graphical quality setting on a console game. The choice is bad stop-motion, or looking at the game through a heavy mist. It's heartbreaking, lazy, and insulting to fans who are told to buy this crap in the hopes that 7 will be better. I can't even get into the quality of the game itself because of how bad it runs. It's "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play" level bad. I'm not even mad, I just feel betrayed. I've been there since the original, but I won't buy another game in the series after this mugging. Disgaea 7 can go hang out with Shenmue 4 in the land of misspent fan appreciation. Expand
  10. Jun 30, 2021
    20 hours in for disgaea I know that’s not much having beaten all other games and I have to say this might be my last disgaea game not a fan of the graphical changes and the way the game runs is frankly inexcusable for a full priced game I expect $20 games to preform at least as well or better then this has and for what quite basic chibi characters and limited environments, I can’t blame20 hours in for disgaea I know that’s not much having beaten all other games and I have to say this might be my last disgaea game not a fan of the graphical changes and the way the game runs is frankly inexcusable for a full priced game I expect $20 games to preform at least as well or better then this has and for what quite basic chibi characters and limited environments, I can’t blame the switch with many examples like monster hunter or breath of wild doing a lot more and preforming a lot better the story is the same kind of good entertainment i was expecting and it’s still a disgaea game at heart but if the franchise keeps this chibi art that makes it run like garbage I will pass on future entries sorry but as a longtime fan I am majorly disappointed and really miss the old style of character design Expand
  11. Jul 2, 2021
    A dumbed down Disgaea that fixes the grinding issue by automating it rather than make it fun and rewarding. The series should return to 2d sprites, as the 3ds sprites make it look like a generic 3d strategy rpg
  12. Jun 30, 2021
    So, not yet up to post-game so arguably not even started yet - but this is a solid entry in the series. Graphically I'm not sure 3D has really added anything, and some of the "quality of life" improvements are hit and miss - but there are definitely some good design decisions too. Busywork is reduced, levelling is fairer to the wider roster and the UI shortcuts work well.

It's not as good

It's not as good as D5 - but given the lack of options in the genre, it's good enough for now.
  13. Jul 1, 2021
    I want my money back. PS3 era graphics with sub 20 FPS performance. Objectively a worse game than disgaea 5 in every measurable way. Feels like a rushed out money grab.
  14. Jul 3, 2021
    Pros:
    Standard Disgaea SRPG. Controls are nearly what they've been for decades. It's not in the Laharl timeline like 1, D2, and 5 but most Disgaea titles aren't in the Laharl line.
    Changes: The addition of autoplay could be controversial, but since this is a parody of the industry it's a nice poke at the industry. Also shows just how bad you are by showing how to roflstomp a level
    Pros:

Changes:
    The addition of autoplay could be controversial, but since this is a parody of the industry it's a nice poke at the industry. Also shows just how bad you are by showing how to roflstomp a level you're having a hard time with.

Cons:
    The addition of 3D graphics that are cell-shaded has come at the expense of some expected behavior. For example, a combo attack results in the same or similar animation as a non-combo attack. In the past, if 4 characters did a combo they all attacked in the cinematic. This may be due to the development time caused by the new format. For years much of the gameplay was carried over from prior games and changing to all 3D cell-shaded means that things can't be always carried over.

The outrage over graphics is similar to the outrage over Disgaea 3 and its poor transition to HD. I personally don't care but if you're one of those people who think they can see 120fps on a 60-hertz monitor, and that 3 wasn't good enough then pass on it. For any normal person who can't see past the temporal limitations of a monitor updating 60 times per second, this is perfectly fine and well suited.
  15. Jul 4, 2021
    The biggest issue with this game is its performance. The new systems are fine (if a bit unneeded, they basically just tacked extra zeros on everything). The default "quality" mode that the Switch defaults to looks great, but has framerates that struggle in the single digits. Changing it to performance mode fixes this, but makes the game so ugly (extremely lower resolution that is thenThe biggest issue with this game is its performance. The new systems are fine (if a bit unneeded, they basically just tacked extra zeros on everything). The default "quality" mode that the Switch defaults to looks great, but has framerates that struggle in the single digits. Changing it to performance mode fixes this, but makes the game so ugly (extremely lower resolution that is then upscaled in a janky temporal way) that its unplayable. The balanced option is the best bet, but even then the framerate still has lows in the 10s. Pass until at least a few patches or wait for the PS4 version. Expand
  16. Jul 4, 2021
    Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny is probably one of the most, if not the most, anticipated games released this year by NIS. And for good reason, the series is a staple for NIS and introduced us to their mascot, the Prinnies. While previous entries have always done well, Disgaea 6 really has outshined them all. It takes the basics from the previous entries and builds upon those in DisgaeaDisgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny is probably one of the most, if not the most, anticipated games released this year by NIS. And for good reason, the series is a staple for NIS and introduced us to their mascot, the Prinnies. While previous entries have always done well, Disgaea 6 really has outshined them all. It takes the basics from the previous entries and builds upon those in Disgaea 6, my new favorite entry in the series.

The thing that I feel makes this the best in the series is the story. While the other games were interesting enough, this game revolves around the story of a zombie named Zed and his quest to vanquish the God of Destruction. Of course, he has a reason to embark on this quest, which you’ll find out as you play through the game, but the story itself really drew me into this Disgaea more than previous entries. You still have the off the wall humor, but this story feels like it has more heart than previous games.

The voice acting is well done and adds to the story by giving it more dimension. Another unsung feature in the game is the music. The music in your home base is in this jazz/lounge singer style, and I was blown away the first time I heard it. Contrast that with the songs that are playing during battle. If you are in a boss battle, the music becomes very dramatic. If I had one complaint it’s that the music can be a bit louder than the voice acting. It’s a minor sound mixing problem.

If you have played previous Disgaea titles, then you understand how the battle system works. The game is a strategy RPG and there is a lot to think about when setting up your characters to do battle. One of the fun features returning to the game is the team battle aspect. As you set up your characters, you can have them surround the enemy with each of them attacking separately, but when you execute the attacks, you deal team damage. You can also set up your characters side by side, so that when one attacks, all the characters in range will deal a combined amount of damage. The team cutscenes and special attacks also give off an anime vibe.

Leveling up your character is done through your main base, the Netherworld. Here you can buy new equipment for your characters, level up your skills at the skill shop, and earn prizes at the hospital. You even have an option to go to a cheat shop and change the settings in the game to make your experience easier or more difficult.

One of the more interesting features in the game is super reincarnation. When you start over, all the mana you collected is cleared out and you start over at level one. However, you get to keep your base stats and you’ll earn karma points based on the level you were at when you reincarnated. Karma points are used to obtain different capabilities, so while it seems counterintuitive to start your level over,it’s a great way to level up your character in the long run.

Super reincarnation can be done through the dark assembly, but that’s not the only thing you can do at the dark assembly. It also allows you to do several different things through proposing bills: create new characters, delete characters, get new items at the store...the list goes on. And as you continue to play through the game the number of “bills” you can propose increases. Each bill that you propose to the dark assembly does cost mana, the more extravagant the request the more mana it will cost. For instance, creating a bill for triple experience will cost you a whopping five thousand mana points. Spending the mana points only calls the assembly together, you still need to make sure you secure the votes and this is where you can bribe the different senators. Each senator will have things that they like and you can try to bribe the senators by giving them the items that they prefer. This is a totally optional feature, but it adds a different flare to the game.

If this is the swan song of the Disgaea series it has gone out on a high note. The basics of what fans enjoy about the game is still intact, from the strategy aspects of attacking your opponents, to the uber amount of damage and absurd character levels you can reach. On top of all that the game’s story is the best in the series and the amount of effort gone into making the experience a memorable one can certainly be seen on full display. Between the anime look, the music, and the quirky but loveable characters, fans of the Disgaea series will be pleased with this entry. Even if you never played a Disgaea game before, Disgaea 6 is a perfect entry level game.
  17. Jul 24, 2021
    A very good game but on the switch it has framerate issues and a bit of lag, but i really liked the story and the characters i'm a big fan since disgaea 1 and i'm never disappointed with nis america games
  18. Jul 16, 2021
    I would say i am about 16 or 17 hours in and i have to say i love it so far. Story seems pretty good their. I like the way they are going with the 3D. Was a big of or Disgaea 4 and 5, and 6 does not let me down at all. Great Switch game, worth the price.
  19. Jul 2, 2021
    Switch **** this game... low fps, graphics..., bugs and sometimes freezes for a couple of seconds. And now it's an Idle game.
  20. Jul 6, 2021
    As much as I was excited for Disgaea 6 when it was announced back in September, I have to admit my enthusiasm and hope for the series has chilled significantly with this release. The game does indeed have a few mechanical elements that take older ideas and apply them more directly towards your characters (D-Merits for example) and quicker, more efficient ways to make your charactersAs much as I was excited for Disgaea 6 when it was announced back in September, I have to admit my enthusiasm and hope for the series has chilled significantly with this release. The game does indeed have a few mechanical elements that take older ideas and apply them more directly towards your characters (D-Merits for example) and quicker, more efficient ways to make your characters stronger (Juice Bar and Super Reincarnation), but it suffers from performance slowdown, removed classes and features, and a cookie-cutter storyline that we’ve already seen from Disgaea 5. I’m hoping that Disgaea 6 will serve as a learning experience for Nippon Ichi Software that drastic changes, while they can certainly shake up the playing field, can also be a double-edged sword that can harm initial opinions of their flagship series. If you’re a new player to the Disgaea series, Disgaea 6 may serve as a decent starting-off point as far as its mechanics and gameplay go; however if you’ve played any of the other Disgaea games and already have exposure to how the games play, I fear you’ll feel like you’re playing a game that is half finished.

(Read my full review at: https://www.gamespot.com/disgaea-6-defiance-of-destiny/user-reviews/2200-12838438/)
  21. Jul 4, 2021
    I've played all the Disgaea games before, and this is one of my favorites. The story is fun, the cast of characters is great and the gameplay is top. They removed things that some die hard fans would not like but for normal people is an improvement.
  22. Aug 4, 2021
    I've played every game up until this one, NIS took a lot of risks with this one. In my opinion I like the direction they are taking which is the introduction of accessibility into the series. The writing is in my opinion the best since Disgaea 1, and I genuinely enjoy the dialogue and cutscenes that go on in between battles. I like the changes with weapons, it puts monsters and humans on aI've played every game up until this one, NIS took a lot of risks with this one. In my opinion I like the direction they are taking which is the introduction of accessibility into the series. The writing is in my opinion the best since Disgaea 1, and I genuinely enjoy the dialogue and cutscenes that go on in between battles. I like the changes with weapons, it puts monsters and humans on a more even playing field, and with the exclusion of weapon skills humans arent immediately overpowered in everyway compared to monsters. Not sure why everyone is getting super butthurt by the graphics, maybe change the settings so it looks better to you. I think people freak out when things are changed, and in my opinion the game is changed compared to others, not worse. Give the game a few chapters before you immediately write it off because its different, I dont think this game deserves the level of hate its receiving. Expand
  23. Jul 1, 2021
    Whoever managed the development of this game in the series turned it from a grind game into an idle game. The introduction and reliance on automated play means that I basically have to leave my switch on and, in the games own words, "watch tv." It's ruined.

The jumps in difficulty rely entirely on afk grinding so the item world is useless. You can enter the item world almost immediately but don't need it because the base game is so easy, and when you need it the monsters are too strong to use it. I can't say more without spoilers.

I hate to say it because I was biting my nails waiting for it, but if you skip this one you won't be missing much.
  24. Sep 16, 2021
    I seriously cannot fathom what the devs are thinking….
    I was not expecting a difficult game like fft or anything, but I was expecting SOME level of challenge and fun. This aint it.
    It feels like ever since Cb2077, EVERY game release after except for mount and blade 2 has been a disaster since. And d6 is no exception. The only thing I ended up liking is improved art graphics and
    I seriously cannot fathom what the devs are thinking….

The only thing I ended up liking is improved art graphics and visuals….

The addition of DI is exciting, but when balance is non existant, DI doesnt even matter….
    I was initially excited to see a game pop up on customizng AI like in ff12 gambits.
    I read no reviews prior and did no research pre purchase in order to form an honest and unbiased opinion.

So why, oh why, am I able to complete the entire game NAKED of gear, NO mana spent on skills or abilities, and completely ignore using the shop, HL/Money, squads, even items, and STILL one shot everything? Why are levels so powerful for character stats that they completely remove any other feature in disgaea 6 from mattering, AT ALL.

I was hyped to try my hand at customizing my party AI in DI…. but the bare bones basic AI it comes with by default is already able to handle the level of stupid easy fights this games gives you….Rendering any fun factor from customizing in DI also useless….

Thinking of using the cheat shop to increase enemy power? You can, but it doesnt impact this as much as you would hope, and you can still go around winning completely naked, and unskilled even on max 20 diff increase….. It’s stupid AF. I shouldnt have to think my way into a challenge, then even doing so still come out stumped.

They have literally made a game thats easily beatable by the dumbest 5 year old on the planet.

I should be FORCED to hit max level, get good gear, level skills and use squads just to have a tactical chance at finishing the story. And reincarnate if I feel like being just a LITTLE op…

But this? This is absolute garbage brain dead playing.
    Again, Im not opposed to DI for making your own AI, im opposed to a complete and utter trashed balance in the game, which ruins things that COULD have been fun, like DI, gear, traits (innocence) etc.

I mean completely nude, I one shot the final ch15 boss? Im sorry what? All because the only thing that matters is char levels??

Why even go to IW? Its pointless, literally every solid “sounding” frame work that should have been fun can be ignored completely and u still one shot everything.

There are easy games, there are games with ways of getting too OP but with fun grinds, then theres this, and this is mindless and broken.
    We like the DI system, but we do NOT like games that are mindless because devs have made levels so OP for stats that nothing, nothing else matters…….

lv cap shouldve been 99 with minimal factor per lvl for stats……
    Honestly on paper the framework sounds good, but execution is 0/10.
    100% regret playing.

Go learn from FFT d6……

To wrap up:
    NOTHING new in d6 is whats wrong with it, in fact, the new changes and old removals are why I didn't give it a flat 0, they're good ideas on paper.
    the -7 points is because of a lack of ANY challenge or fun, i.e. balancing.
    I care nothing about stories in tactics games, so this is not a factor as a + or - in my score given. Read other reviews if you want that info.
    Balance…..It is THAT impactful and hurtful to the enjoyment of this game. I tried to find challenge anywhere and everywhere I could, it is 100% non existant. No one wants to play childish garbage (except for those of course who dont have the brain capacity beyond a child who likes…garbage)
  25. Jul 26, 2021
    As a longtime fan of Disgaea games, I can definitively say this is one of my favorite entries in the series. I think the story is better than many of the previous games. While I was weary of the repetition of fighting the God of Destruction every chapter, there was actually a good amount of other bosses throughout the game, and there were great plot twists that kept me engaged with theAs a longtime fan of Disgaea games, I can definitively say this is one of my favorite entries in the series. I think the story is better than many of the previous games. While I was weary of the repetition of fighting the God of Destruction every chapter, there was actually a good amount of other bosses throughout the game, and there were great plot twists that kept me engaged with the story the whole way through. I was actually shocked a few times, but those moments didn't feel forced for shock factor, which is a plus. The voice acting is amazing, with each of the characters having distinct personalities that really bring this game to life. A lot of the changes made in this entry do a great job at streamlining the series, and I think anyone who was weary of the series will have a much easier time to jump in here than one of the other entries (I still think the others are definitely worth playing though). With auto battle and demonic intelligence, players who don't like grinding will be able to alleviate this and still enjoy a great game. I tested out these features and they worked well, but I personally enjoy the grinding, and I was able to make it through the main story without much use of these features, which is a plus for hardcore fans. The 3D models look very nice in my opinion, and convey the personality of the series well. There is a lot of complaints about performance in this entry, and while it is a bit rough in "Graphics" mode, the developers introduced two other settings ("Balanced" and "Performance"), so you can play in whichever mode you like. I personally recommend "Balanced" mode, as it looks pretty nice, and doesn't stutter at all. All in all, with more customization options than ever before in a Disgaea game, an exciting story with twists and turns, and a likable cast of characters brought to life by great voice acting, this is definitely a win for the series. I can't wait to see how Disgaea 7 turns out! Expand
  26. Jul 6, 2021
    This isn't bad, a little lesser than previous games in the series, but still enjoyable. One thing I do miss is an opening theme song and video, my favorite being the one from Disgaea 3.
  27. Jul 2, 2021
    For me, I really enjoyed the 3D graphic update they did for the characters. I actually didn’t notice much of a difference when playing. But I did miss the 2D story mode characters moments instead of the still anime text photos. The gameplay is a lot of fun as always, and the fact I am increasing in level so fast is insane! But the nitpick I have to make is that the best characters to playFor me, I really enjoyed the 3D graphic update they did for the characters. I actually didn’t notice much of a difference when playing. But I did miss the 2D story mode characters moments instead of the still anime text photos. The gameplay is a lot of fun as always, and the fact I am increasing in level so fast is insane! But the nitpick I have to make is that the best characters to play are Zed, Piyori and Ivar. The rest are good, but surprisingly not that powerful? And the levels I got so far are fun, but somewhat generic compare to Disgaea 5 where I could explore the universe of the Netherworld. All and all, a solid game for those who love SRPG, but if I have to be honest, I would rank it below 1, 4 and 5: not in that order Expand
  28. Nov 17, 2021
    This is really juts a watered down version of Disgaea. It really feels like the game wants to be played like an idle game, where the game basically plays itself. It can be fun, but it also becomes boring pretty easy. The story also appears to be like a confusing mess.
    But by far the worst thing is the technical side. If you want to play with the "good" graphic settings, the game has such a poor framerate, the term slideshow is not an exaggeration. So you have the option to turn on the performance mode, but here the resolution of the game is so terrible that it's sometimes hard to make out any details. And the controls...my goodness, the controls. They are nothing but a clunky mess.
    What did I like about this game? Well, I really liked the characers and the interactions between them. Those can be really funny and the humor is great in general. And if this is your first Digaea, the game may not be that bad. But even then it's more mediocre.
  29. Jul 2, 2022
    this game is so repetitive. bad gameplay and a big lack of content. bad sountrack
  30. Feb 4, 2022
    There is a multitude of issues with Disgaea 6, both negatively impacting the casual & veteran players of Disgaea. I will keep this review spoiler free in terms of plot but I will briefly mention the boss setups as they're incredibly cheap.

A good chunk of Disgaea players disliked Disgaea 6 right from the announcement trailer, this reason being because of the art style change. While I'm willing to accept this is a subjective topic, there was no reason to change the art style to something only a chunk of people like when Disgaea 5's art style was universally praised.

But there is a massive objective issue with Disgaea 6 that has impacted everyone's playthrough, the **** optimisation. This game costs £54, so the price of a triple AAA game so you expect a decent product.

But you don't get that, this game has severe frame rate issues and the only work around to get a stable frame rate is by lowering the settings to performance mode which will provide you with a decent FPS but at the cost of making the graphics go literally blurry.

For a game of this price-point it's unacceptable, even if this was the only issue this game had it'd be enough for me to not recommend this game to people. The game has been out for OVER A YEAR and there is yet a patch to be issued for this, the game does not look demanding at all so this is more of a case of the devs issuing out a poorly optimised game. They thrown out a half ass game, charge us full price and **** off.

Most of Disgaea 6's issues likely come from budgeting issues & time constraints, the developers just wasn't given enough time to create a product such as Disgaea 6. In previous Disgaea games you had unique bosses, but with Disgaea 6 the bosses are just different colour schemes of existing units.

If you aren't fighting alternate colour scheme of units then you'll be fighting 1 boss over and over again called "God of Destruction". Trust me when I say this boss gets repetitive FAST.

There is a different form of this boss but you only fight it for the final boss, in previous Disgaea games there were variety but that just doesn't exist in this game.

Talking about variety, this is something that is extremely lacking in this game. They have took so many steps back in this game that it's objectively the worst Disgaea game in my opinion.

First issue is item world, in previous Disgaea games each floor of the item world is randomized. This is a great design choice from the developers considering how grindy Disgaea is, you'll easily spend 100s of hours in the Disgaea games if you want to 100% them, by randomising each item world floor this provides some fresh air and helps in avoiding the game from becoming repetitive.

But in Disgaea 6 I am pretty sure for the item world floors they reuse already existing levels, I am baffled for what reason the developers thought of to choose this design decision. This is a massive issue in Disgaea 6 because they increased item's level to 9999 alongside item world floors reaching 9999. This means the item world will become repetitive fast, there's literally no variability here.

I believe this issue comes down to the developers working in a new game engine and not having the time/resources needed to replicate the item world we're so familiar with. But this begs the question if that's the case, why change the game engine at all? Disgaea 5 was perfect in certain areas, the developers should've focused on refining all of that instead of shooting themselves in the foot.

The lack of time/resources provided to the developers also shines through the characters themselves, this is also one of the biggest issues I have with this game.

In previous Disgaea games, your characters would have something called weapon skills which'll give you a huge set of weapon skills relating to the weapon they're using. These provide you with skills you can use for any situation, it provides you with the freedom to approach battles in any form you wish. But in Disgaea 6 they **** this up.

I assume due to resource limitations they had to severely cut back on this, they completely axed weapon skills from this game. So each character only has 3-4 skills they can use, this places an incredible limitation on the ways you can approach fights.

Disgaea 6 is the only Disgaea game I have dropped & have no plans on returning to, sequels are meant to be better then the previous entries but that isn't the case here.

What reason do I have to come back to Disgaea 6 if Disgaea 4/5 does much better in practically everyway? I can give up having the 99,999,999 level cap if it means I get to play an actual decent Disgaea game.
  31. Jun 29, 2022
    You should start giving more language support like spanish on your games...

Mixed or average reviews - based on 40 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 31, 2022
    Poor performance mars what is otherwise a stellar Disgaea experience with some fantastic new 3D visuals. The new modes and features of Disgaea 6: Defiance of Justice paired with a nice new story and interesting characters puts this high on the SRPG recommendations for all fans of the genre; a great addition to the series and a decent Nintendo Switch implementation of the game.
  2. Oct 4, 2021
    Defiance of Destiny takes Disgaea's core and tries to evolve it into a game that exploits ridiculous characters and situations. However, already in its sixth installment, it does not find a balance between pleasing its fans and inviting new users, delivering a game that makes us doubt the longevity of the franchise.
  3. CD-Action
    Sep 1, 2021
    Disgaea 6 can’t deny its blood ties to the previous games of the series, but it introduces fully 3D graphics and significantly cranks up the level of absurdity. The price for the former is poor framerate on Switch and the story will give you a lot of reasons to smile but won’t leave a lasting trace in your mind. Combat on the other hand is very solid and discovering new abilities and developing your party of characters are strong incentives to keep playing. [09/2021, p.35]