7.3

1. Feb 7, 2019
    The movement is smooth, jumping on enemies is satisfying and the amount of understanding you get about the game from each run is just enough to make you want to keep going deeper.
    A phenominal little indie game for just 3$!! You can probably get that for free with your gold coins, definitely try it out!
  2. Mar 29, 2019
    A steal for the amount of replay value that is provided.

A steal for the amount of replay value that is provided.

The average game lasts 1-5 minutes so expect to die a lot until you master the balance of falling, shooting, jumping without being hit by something... The controls are simple and the game is easy to pickup, but difficult to master and the levels are never the same so there is constant variation even though you will probably find yourself at the beginning a lot. Really fun in quick bursts. Recommended.
  3. Jul 26, 2019
    why is this mobile game rating so high had to give it a 0 to even out what this really is. just a mobile port nothing special
  4. Jul 15, 2019
    Just another mobile game port that you will get tired of after half an hour
  5. Dec 27, 2020
    Best new arcade game in years!! Put more hours into this than many games 30 times the price! What a gem!
  6. Jun 15, 2020
    See some good /smart design decisions here. Originally avoided the game as I didn't think they'd be able to do much with only falling down, but they make it more interesting than I expected. Good idea to slow down descent with your atk, combos by jumping on multiple enemies (and a gem reward for doing so), creating some enemies that can only be killed with gun boot shots vs stomps, etc.See some good /smart design decisions here. Originally avoided the game as I didn't think they'd be able to do much with only falling down, but they make it more interesting than I expected. Good idea to slow down descent with your atk, combos by jumping on multiple enemies (and a gem reward for doing so), creating some enemies that can only be killed with gun boot shots vs stomps, etc.

That said, when I first played the game, apparently my pc was lagging a lot cause the game was running at about half speed. I'm playing the game now, and it feels WAAAAY too fast. The game feels like it was a better game at half speed than at normal speed, it's more strategic (and more accessible to more gamers) when it's slower. Was a more enjoyable pace, whereas normal speed makes it feel like a twitch/reactionary/ don't blink kind of game instead.

That said, I hope they patch it some day, to give players the option of reg speed, 3/4 speed, 1/2 speed. Changes up the dynamics quite a bit, the slower speed makes you notice the jumps and reset of gravity each time, and makes the gun shots (which slow descent) much more impactful. At normal speed, it moves too fast such that it feels like it doesn't do much at all. If the change isn't noticeable enough, it doesn't make the decision meaningful anymore, it's just a matter of trying to control the character, whereas at that slower pace I had to decide at each moment whether it was worth trying to keep the combo going or etc. Mayhaps I'll get used to the faster pace later, but as is that's my verdict. 72/10, if it had the speed options I'd rate it closer to 84/100
  7. Oct 5, 2020
    It's a nice little game that I have definitely got my money out of. The game feels right and it's simple but fun. You keep wanting to try again and again.
  8. Jul 1, 2020
    This review will be like the gameplay in downwell is, nice and short xD It's a roguelike game in which main point of gameplay is to reach the bottom of the well. I do really appreciate the minimalistic graphics and fast paced gameplay, it's a good combination. Nice and short that's the gameplay of Downwell, but on the other hand, I can't see myself pushing through all the way down to theThis review will be like the gameplay in downwell is, nice and short xD It's a roguelike game in which main point of gameplay is to reach the bottom of the well. I do really appreciate the minimalistic graphics and fast paced gameplay, it's a good combination. Nice and short that's the gameplay of Downwell, but on the other hand, I can't see myself pushing through all the way down to the bottom... I'm just bad at the fast paced platforming gameplay. Also, power ups are monotonous and there aren't many of them xd Overall, I do really like the game, it's a fine piece in my switch game collection to play once in a while between full fledged games. 7/10 nice one (btw it has an often price drop, so it's a good deal for such a roguelike game!!) Expand
  9. Oct 7, 2019
    This is a great game at an even better price. The controls are impressive, and there are a variety of power-ups and modes to keep it feeling fresh. It's a fairly difficult roguelike that will keep you coming back for more. $3 is an absolute steal.
  10. Mar 9, 2020
    A simple yet very VERY addicting game. If you have some time to kill, try this game.
  11. Nov 21, 2019
    Fun, addictif, mais il manque une chose importante : les trophés / succès.
    J'en ai passé des heures à descendre avant de le finir !
    Style gameboy excellent ! Bande sont 8 bits qui reste dand la tête.
    J'aime
  12. Aug 19, 2020
    I love Downwell, how it hits the perfect balance of simplicity, randomness and extreme difficulty to make it brutally punishing, but also really addictive. I'd had it on Steam for a couple of years before I got it on Switch, and I finally completed it on Switch after well over 100 hours of play across both platforms. It is a very hard game to beat, but I loved it even more when II love Downwell, how it hits the perfect balance of simplicity, randomness and extreme difficulty to make it brutally punishing, but also really addictive. I'd had it on Steam for a couple of years before I got it on Switch, and I finally completed it on Switch after well over 100 hours of play across both platforms. It is a very hard game to beat, but I loved it even more when I discovered that the prize for beating it is that you unlock Hard Mode.

Also I love the fact that the Switch version has a TATE mode. To be honest I don't understand how people can complain that this is a mobile game, when it feels to me like a textbook old-school arcade game. I wouldn't even want to play this with touchscreen controls - this game is worth buying a Nintendo Switch and a Flip Grip for!
  13. Dec 19, 2020
    why is this mobile game rating so low had to give it a 10 to even out what this really is. more than a mobile port something special
  14. May 28, 2020
    Downwell is a hidden gem that was originally publish on mobile devices. It's a really solid and unique experience that I believe more people need to try. The gameplay is simple yet incredibly addicting. You have a pair of gunboots, which slow your fall and weaken enemies that touch the bullets. To refill your ammunition, you can hop on enemies or touch the ground. The color of an enemyDownwell is a hidden gem that was originally publish on mobile devices. It's a really solid and unique experience that I believe more people need to try. The gameplay is simple yet incredibly addicting. You have a pair of gunboots, which slow your fall and weaken enemies that touch the bullets. To refill your ammunition, you can hop on enemies or touch the ground. The color of an enemy will tell you about it. Red means that the enemy can't be touched. White means that the enemy is safe to bounce on. The main goal of the game is to reach the bottom of each level and make it as far as possible. This game is pretty lengthy and has insane replay value. This game's spritework is amazing. It feels like I am playing a detailed Gameboy game because of the aesthetics. The music in this game is catchy and may get stuck in your head. In conclusion, this is an addictive and charming game that anybody could enjoy. Have a lovely day/night, folks! Expand
  15. Jun 15, 2020
    A very fun game, especially for a port of a mobile game. Got it on sale for a dollar but had I known this game was so much fun, I would’ve paid the full three dollars in a second. The gameplay is inspired and engaging and the concept of using gunboots to plummet down a well and stomp baddies to replenish your ammo is so innovative and unlike anything I’ve played. The difficulty is at aA very fun game, especially for a port of a mobile game. Got it on sale for a dollar but had I known this game was so much fun, I would’ve paid the full three dollars in a second. The gameplay is inspired and engaging and the concept of using gunboots to plummet down a well and stomp baddies to replenish your ammo is so innovative and unlike anything I’ve played. The difficulty is at a perfect balance for me where I’m not blazing through the different stages in an hour, but I’m slowly getting farther and farther each time I sit down and play it. On the other side of the coin, it’s difficult enough of a game, but not so difficult that deaths seem unfair or I get frustrated to the point of not wanting to play anymore. Many will say that it’s “just a mobile port >:(“ but if you’re looking for an inexpensive yet fantastic game for the switch, I couldn’t recommend it enough. You probably have three dollars’ worth of credits on your account anyway. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Aug 22, 2019
    Downwell is the quintessential $2.99 indie game. [Issue #38 – March/April 2019, p. 18]
  2. Mar 18, 2019
    At a first glance, Downwell doesn’t catch the eye; it’s a simplistic game with a minimalistic art style, and basic mechanics. But it becomes compelling due to its slick controls and synergistic elements.
  3. Mar 8, 2019
    With controls feeling slick whichever way you play, the Switch version comes recommended due to its versatility and if you’ve yet to take the plunge (literally) with Downwell, there’s never been a better time to do so.