8.7

1. Jul 27, 2019
    I loved how the game constantly keeps you doing so many things, that you end up knowing every corner of the map
  2. Jul 27, 2019
    This is one of the best Fire Emblem games I've played in a while.
    This is one of the best Fire Emblem games I've played in a while.
    First of all, all the guys judging the story... UGH. WHY ARE YOU CRITICIZING THE STORY OF AN 80 HOURS LONG GAME WHEN YOU HAVE PLAYED 10 OR EVEN LESS. All of you who have been saying things like "uhhm I miss radiant dawn era when the story was about the cruelty of the war and..." OH BOY, THIS GAME (specially after 30-40 hours in) IS MORE MATURE THAN HALF OF THE GAMES IN THE SAGA. Incluiding your f***ing radiant dawn. I would mention why but, oops, spoilers.
    I'm not gonna judge you if you don't like the dating system, how the game plays in the monastery, the "anime" visuals or how the UI is managed, because those are things that each person will like more or less, but that's not a reason to give it a zero.
  3. Jul 28, 2019
    There seems to be a lot of low reviews for this as people are annoyed others are giving it ten. To each their own! But its a great game with a lot of good battle mechanics and a hell of a story!
  4. Jul 27, 2019
    An absolute beautiful masterpiece of a game, so much hate from the kids with no attention span. There isn't much I could say negative about this game it's perfect as a tactical rpg/ rpg! Being fully honest I may give this game a 9 due to some minor resolution/ visual and frame rate issues, but the graphics are really good, no it's not another open world game, boo hoo! Still I give it a 10An absolute beautiful masterpiece of a game, so much hate from the kids with no attention span. There isn't much I could say negative about this game it's perfect as a tactical rpg/ rpg! Being fully honest I may give this game a 9 due to some minor resolution/ visual and frame rate issues, but the graphics are really good, no it's not another open world game, boo hoo! Still I give it a 10 to balance all the undeserved 0s seriously people, must be special! Again this is a deserved masterpiece a work of art. Expand
  5. Jul 26, 2019
    Amazing game. I've been waiting to see what this game could offer, especially on the nintendo switch and I have to say that it did not disappoint me at all. The soundtrack is phenomenal, I used to listen to FE Echoe's ost religiously but boy was I not ready for TH's soundtrack. The writing seems to be alot better than fate's and I definitely enjoyed TH a lot more than awakening and echoes.Amazing game. I've been waiting to see what this game could offer, especially on the nintendo switch and I have to say that it did not disappoint me at all. The soundtrack is phenomenal, I used to listen to FE Echoe's ost religiously but boy was I not ready for TH's soundtrack. The writing seems to be alot better than fate's and I definitely enjoyed TH a lot more than awakening and echoes. Of course there's alot that can be improved on but for me, this is easily my top fire emblem game so far. Personally, I really enjoyed this game and I hope others will too. My favourite switch game so far.

For those who didn't like the new changes to fire emblem/want to go back to the tellius series, you have to agree that awakening made the series more popular than it already was. Awakening wasn't the best fire emblem I played too, but I didn't mind trying the new features and gave it a go instead of whinging. Plus if you viewed it less as some weeaboo waifu bs and more as Support dialogues (which past games had too) it wouldn't be too bad. Having houses/school life/magic =/= harry potter btw
  6. Jul 26, 2019
    Perfection. The people who give this game any less than a 9 is a complete moron especially if all the critics can't see the epicness fantasy in this masterpiece !
  7. Jul 26, 2019
    Really great game! I can’t believe how well they’ve been able to work the story and gameplay together. The series is definitely on the uptick and this game hopefully will be one of many to come on the Nintendo Switch! Everything is just so well done. All the way down to the minor details. The relationships you can establish is just amazing!
  8. Jul 26, 2019
    I am not a big fan of SRPG games. I also wasnt familiar with FE series. However I decided to try this one because everyone around me was hyped and i wanted to find out what this game really is. Turned out....this game was master piece. The most important thing is this game is super addictive!!!! Characters, game mechanics, music, artworks, story ...everything is so harmonious. Just stopI am not a big fan of SRPG games. I also wasnt familiar with FE series. However I decided to try this one because everyone around me was hyped and i wanted to find out what this game really is. Turned out....this game was master piece. The most important thing is this game is super addictive!!!! Characters, game mechanics, music, artworks, story ...everything is so harmonious. Just stop hesitating! Go get this title Expand
  9. Jul 26, 2019
    This is my first FE game. Going into this I wasn't expecting much... but man was I wrong. This is the perfect tactical strategy game, I've been playing for 8 hours straight and I am seriously impressed with how well the gameplay mechanics work, how well written and developed the characters are, how harmonious yet chaotic the music is and even how well it is visually which to be honest IThis is my first FE game. Going into this I wasn't expecting much... but man was I wrong. This is the perfect tactical strategy game, I've been playing for 8 hours straight and I am seriously impressed with how well the gameplay mechanics work, how well written and developed the characters are, how harmonious yet chaotic the music is and even how well it is visually which to be honest I was worried about. There are even Persona inspired elements to it which I love. I'm 8 hours in, and I loving every moment of it. The fact that there are three choices scares me as I could be playing this for 100s of hours. Get this as soon as possible, its a Switch must own title. 10/10 Expand
  10. Jul 26, 2019
    Ive loved FireEmblem for years now, long before IntelligentSystems brought it to the west. This is definitely a return to form for the series! And Im so glad its hit home consoles again! Not gunna go in to it too much but after seeing a few super negative comments and reviews I had to step in and say don't believe them, buy this game, buy it now!
  11. Jul 26, 2019
    This is the best fire emblem ever...the botw fire emblem!! Intelligent systems has made a huge work!
  12. Jul 26, 2019
    Perfect game, it's a must buy on Switch the same way as Zelda BoTW and Mario Odyssey
  13. Aug 28, 2019
    I was apprehensive about this game at first but man they did a great job making stats fun. Basically incorporating fun charming gameplay elements to mundane rpg mechanics. The English voice acting is top notch. Just downright fantastic. The music is great too.

One major con. The graphics are very ugly and the performance is not stable.
  14. Jul 29, 2019
    UPDATE after 25 hours in.
    The game is a mix of chess, RPG elements and anime drama.
    I'm enjoying everything so far, and even if i hate weeb culture i find the characters fun. I'm playing in hard mode and the difficulty is literally perfect, even side missions are a challenge and you need to evaluate every move. This is the only game since Botw that hooked me, once a start playing it's
    UPDATE after 25 hours in.
    The game is a mix of chess, RPG elements and anime drama.
    This is the only game since Botw that hooked me, once a start playing it's hard to stop, it gives you a ton of different things to do, resulting in an experience that will hardly bore the player.
    Overall i'l give this a 9, for me a 10 is only for masterpieces and perfect games and this is not one, but i could change my mind once i finish it.
  15. Jul 26, 2019
    I was waiting a fire emblem, a tactical game not a simulator/rpg, the animations ist i was expected dont looks so smoth, the videos are in 20/30 fps, i was expecting more.
  16. Jul 26, 2019
    Fantastic game, one of the best entrance in the Fire Emblem series. Great music, amazing story telling and voice acting, nice character development. A must buy on Switch for people who like strategic games
  17. Jul 26, 2019
    This games has what some would say a slow start but in the second part it is phenomenal
  18. Jul 26, 2019
    Graphics and animations have progressed from those of FEs on 3DS.
    But level design,system, and UI became worse.
  19. Jul 26, 2019
    Realmente esta es la cima de lo que odio en la saga actual de Fire Emblem, extraño la época de Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, en donde la estética no pretendía parecer un anime genérico de temporada, lleno de waifus, husbandos y tramas adolescentes. Extraño las historias serias y profundas sobre la guerra y la condición humana ante esta, y no este bodrio calcado de Harry Potter. DeboRealmente esta es la cima de lo que odio en la saga actual de Fire Emblem, extraño la época de Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, en donde la estética no pretendía parecer un anime genérico de temporada, lleno de waifus, husbandos y tramas adolescentes. Extraño las historias serias y profundas sobre la guerra y la condición humana ante esta, y no este bodrio calcado de Harry Potter. Debo admitir que la academia y los cambios al sistema de batalla son geniales y necesarios, pero entre que la esencia vieja de la saga se ha perdido desde Awakening, y el hecho de que este nuevo FE sigue arruinando sus raíces con simuladores de citas cuando esto debería ser un juego de guerra (y los malos gráficos y cinemáticas capadas a 15 FPS para parecer anime), no puedo disfrutar este juego, como iteracion de la saga me sigue decepcionando, esta saga ya ni debería llamarse Fire Emblem.

English Traslation: This is really the peak of what I hate in the current Fire Emblem saga, I miss the era of Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, where the artstyle didn't pretend to look like a generic seasonal anime, full of waifus, husbandos and teenager plots. I miss the serious and profound stories about war and the human condition before it, and not this of Harry Potter tracing. I must admit that the academy and the changes to the battle system are great and necessary, but between that the old essence of the saga has been lost since Awakening, and the fact that this new FE continues to ruin its roots with dating simulators when this It should be a war game (and the bad graphics and cinematic scenes at 15 FPS to look like anime), I cannot enjoy this game, as iteration of the saga continues to disappoint me, this saga should not even be called Fire Emblem.
  20. Jul 26, 2019
    I don't like that the artstyle is so influenced in the current and modern anime, I miss when the FE's had a unique style, and I don't see sense in the cinematics at 15 FPS with the intention of looking like a generic CGI of cheap anime, that without counting the strong tendency of the last Fire Emblem's to put a dating simulator, I expected that with this game such a trend will change, butI don't like that the artstyle is so influenced in the current and modern anime, I miss when the FE's had a unique style, and I don't see sense in the cinematics at 15 FPS with the intention of looking like a generic CGI of cheap anime, that without counting the strong tendency of the last Fire Emblem's to put a dating simulator, I expected that with this game such a trend will change, but it is more of the same that I don't like. Expand
  21. Jul 26, 2019
    It's not the best that the saga has given us (the people are exaggerating), it really drags the same mistakes that the franchise has since the 3DS, games the Tellius saga I liked more than this.
  22. Jul 26, 2019
    I only played a few hours and I have said that it has been a disappointing experience, I was sparing a better graphic performance for a Switch game, but this seems like PS2 game, and the story seems pretty boring, it doesn't hook me.
  23. Jul 26, 2019
    It's ridiculous how they overvalue this game, it's really not that good, the story is not the best in the saga, the artstyle is poor and generic, and the gameplay is somewhat broken.
  24. Jul 26, 2019
    It's not the best Fire Emblem, and nor is't close to being one of the best, this saga has lost every drop of its essence and original charm. I've played it for several hours and I can come to the conclusion that it's more of the same anime weaboo pandering, Fire Emblem will be Fire Emblem again when they worry about creating mature stories and stop implementing dating systems.
  25. Jul 26, 2019
    It's not possible that a Switch game can have these graphics, it's a shame that there are games like Super Mario Odissey or Zelda Breath of the Wild, and Fire Emblem has not made the leap that they gave, I feel it's a 3DS game in HD and slightly polished, they are not worth the $60. It's an outdated game and a previous generation in the technical aspect.
    Besides that the story is generic,
    Besides that the story is generic, boring, with poor writing, if the game doesn't enter for my eyes, less it enters me through its narrative, its afwul.
  26. Jul 26, 2019
    The anime aesthetic, the cliche characters, the typical husbandos and waifus, the same pairing and friendship system that we have complained about so much since the saga changed radically in Awakening, this game is the peak of the degradation of the franchise, and a clear proof that the saga never returned to its basic and original essence. It's a good game, but a bad Fire Emblem, and asThe anime aesthetic, the cliche characters, the typical husbandos and waifus, the same pairing and friendship system that we have complained about so much since the saga changed radically in Awakening, this game is the peak of the degradation of the franchise, and a clear proof that the saga never returned to its basic and original essence. It's a good game, but a bad Fire Emblem, and as Fire Emblem I will judge it. Expand
  27. Jul 26, 2019
    This is not REAL Fire Emblem, it is some Harry Potter style school nonsense! Bring back Path of Radiance era Fire Emblem.
  28. Jul 26, 2019
    I thought it would be a good fusion of what Tellius was on the Wii with the mechanics of handheld consoles, but the central mechanics of the game have not finished curdling for me. Previous games like Shadows of Valentia were much better, people are giving this game a very high score. I think it's a pretty deficient Fire Emblem to call it the "best."
  29. Aug 31, 2019
    This title is being REVIEW BOMBED like Astral Chain was. Proceed carefully.

Best Fire Emblem to date. Despite the easy difficulty, the maps are awesome, the stories interesting, and the characters charming.
  30. Sep 10, 2019
    Once again another awesome Fire emblem . They really exapanded the game on this one . The story development is interesting and the game play is just as good as ever . Yes the normal mode is very easy ( good for fist timers ) . And the music is so good I added some of its tracks to my all time favorite list . Over all the game is very nice
  31. Aug 10, 2019
    An absolute joy that is hard to put down even after 50+ hours, I am gearing myself up for an inevitable second play through to get to know all the casts of characters.
  32. Aug 11, 2019
    Amazing game, feels like a PS2 game where you're having so much fun you actually enjoy doing side content and seeing the characters grow. Clear GOTY contestant
  33. Aug 11, 2019
    One of the best fire emblem game I've ever played hands down. The battle system is very simple, but has tons of depth as well. The characters are very well written and the fact that the game is fully voiced makes it better. The story is also thrilling, showing you how war can be devastating and it can get quite dark at times. However, it is still lighthearted most of the time and you willOne of the best fire emblem game I've ever played hands down. The battle system is very simple, but has tons of depth as well. The characters are very well written and the fact that the game is fully voiced makes it better. The story is also thrilling, showing you how war can be devastating and it can get quite dark at times. However, it is still lighthearted most of the time and you will enjoy it even if you're a past fire emblem fan, as well as a newcomer. All in all, this game is perfect if it's your first game, and at the same time it breathes new life in the franchise for old veterans. Expand
  34. Aug 12, 2019
    I have never played a Fire Emblem game before, but the engrossing combat, intriguing story and fun characters meant I was hooked instantly. I finished my first play-through (Golden Deer House) in ~40hrs. My girlfriend, a relative non-gamer, was interested watching me play and started her own playthrough (Black Eagles, alt end) immediately after I finished. It took her ~35hrs (from what II have never played a Fire Emblem game before, but the engrossing combat, intriguing story and fun characters meant I was hooked instantly. I finished my first play-through (Golden Deer House) in ~40hrs. My girlfriend, a relative non-gamer, was interested watching me play and started her own playthrough (Black Eagles, alt end) immediately after I finished. It took her ~35hrs (from what I gather, Black Eagle alt ending is shorter). Overall, the graphics could use some polish as the lack of anti-aliasing and low-res textures make the overworld look like a PS2 game at times, but the gameplay is so exquisite, and the replayability and amount of content so substantial that this game cannot get less than a 10/10. Best Switch release of the year so far. Expand
  35. Aug 12, 2019
    Absolutely brilliant game !
    I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a compelling story and strategic gameplay elements.
  36. Sep 2, 2019
    This has to be my favourite FE game yet. The story is gripping no matter which route you play, the amount of replayability this game has is insane, and unlike many of the newer fe games, the characters don't feel like massive anime tropes. Overall, great game and would highly recommend.
  37. Sep 2, 2019
    My first FE game. Never was very interested in strategy games, but I kept hearing great things about this series. Needless to say, I’m glad I gave it a try! Fantastic game!
  38. Sep 2, 2019
    After 3 playthroughs already, this has become my favourite Fire Emblem game of all time. As a player that mainly wants a good story, Three Houses delivers on all fronts. The amount of worldbuilding this game has is unparalleled for a fire emblem game and the game does a genuinely good job of making you care for all of it. The characters that appear in game have actual depth and personalityAfter 3 playthroughs already, this has become my favourite Fire Emblem game of all time. As a player that mainly wants a good story, Three Houses delivers on all fronts. The amount of worldbuilding this game has is unparalleled for a fire emblem game and the game does a genuinely good job of making you care for all of it. The characters that appear in game have actual depth and personality to them and are far more than just cutouts of common tropes. There is also a lot of really good improvements on the gameplay side of things too, the quality of life changes are just astounding and they toned down many of the broken mechanics from the 3DS games so that players can actually have a fair and balanced experience. Speaking of fair and balanced, the actual maps themselves tend to be rather neutral, no ridiculous puzzle mechanics that are more annoying than interesting like certain maps in Fates notoriously had. Overall, for new and old players alike, Fire Emblem: Three Houses is well worth playing. Expand
  39. Sep 2, 2019
    Three houses is the best FE to come out since the GBA games. The emphasis is on quality storytelling and engaging combat. My only complaint is that the higher difficulty hasn't been released yet.
  40. Dec 2, 2019
    I fell in love Turnbased Strategy games wiht RPG elements with Shining Force II and was so happy when I found Fire Emblem: Awakening on the 3DS many years later. I was looking forward to Three Houses ever since I knew, that a Fire emblem was coming to the switch.

I fell in love with this. This game also made me want to replay several times, to experience hte different parts of the story. I did get sidetracked a bit with other games, but will continue with my Black Eagle playthrough soon again.

This game definitely should have been one of the Game of the Year nominations, as it is absolutely brilliant. All characters are well thought out, and feel like different characters.
  41. Odh
    Sep 6, 2019
    Not sure its the absolute best FE game ever, but its in the discussion. Kind of miss the character breeding in recent FE games, but the hub world in this one is interesting as sort of something out of Harry Potter. Never really got used to the Gambits, would forget I could use them, but its an interesting new mechanic. This FE game doesn't reinvent the wheel, but tweaks it, I mostly reallyNot sure its the absolute best FE game ever, but its in the discussion. Kind of miss the character breeding in recent FE games, but the hub world in this one is interesting as sort of something out of Harry Potter. Never really got used to the Gambits, would forget I could use them, but its an interesting new mechanic. This FE game doesn't reinvent the wheel, but tweaks it, I mostly really like what they have done, but some longtime fans might say past games were somehow better or more challenging. Expand
  42. Sep 8, 2019
    If you are big fan of srpg you need to play this game.
    This game has a lot of replayability
  43. Sep 11, 2019
    This game... I'm almost 40 hours in, and I'm just finishing the Church route. It's a refreshing feeling knowing that when I finish the game, I haven't finished the game. I still have 3 different routes to take! If each take 40 hours, that's about 160 hours of play! That's only the main story. There's so much else to do. This was my first Tactical RPG, (and my first Fire Emblem) and I'mThis game... I'm almost 40 hours in, and I'm just finishing the Church route. It's a refreshing feeling knowing that when I finish the game, I haven't finished the game. I still have 3 different routes to take! If each take 40 hours, that's about 160 hours of play! That's only the main story. There's so much else to do. This was my first Tactical RPG, (and my first Fire Emblem) and I'm blown away by the gameplay. I will be playing this even after I finish all of the storylines just for the gameplay. The anime-style cutscenes were great. I think the low framerate looks awesome during these. The only complaint I have (which bumps it down a score) is the graphics. Some of these graphics look like literal garbage. If you go to the marketplace, you can see the fruit textures with such low-quality renders. During support/mission conversations, the background is just a flat image, and it looks terrible, especially when the ends meet. It can sometimes be distracting from the game. I do like the character models, they look perfect to me. The voice acting is great, and I have no complaints. This is a must-play if you have a Nintendo Switch. Expand
  44. Oct 26, 2019
    Very good game The system is far better than the previous one and take all good points from each games together. Graphic is ok but fighting scene is very smooth
    Gameplay is flawless
  45. Nov 1, 2019
    As a fan of fire emblem for years this game has been my favorite so far although it is not as difficult as the other older games but it compensates very well with interesting new mechanics and a very interesting story in its 4 routes and a good variety of different characters and a lot of rejugability potential to be able to choose a different route, recruit different characters or theAs a fan of fire emblem for years this game has been my favorite so far although it is not as difficult as the other older games but it compensates very well with interesting new mechanics and a very interesting story in its 4 routes and a good variety of different characters and a lot of rejugability potential to be able to choose a different route, recruit different characters or the same ones from the previous time but specialize them in something different which is very good if you are a fan of the saga and you always want more . Finally, as something more personal, I would recommend playing it in classic difficulty since I feel that it is enjoyed more in that way since the fact of losing a unit forever during that game makes you have to think better about your strategies as in chess Where every movement counts a highly recommended game if you have a Nintendo switch Expand
  46. Nov 25, 2019
    Fire Emblem Three Houses is one of the best games that I have ever played. I have been a fan of the series for a while now, and this one blows the other Fire Emblem games out of the water. This games offers a huge amount of compelling story that will take you at least 70 hours to play through. I have been playing for 85 hours now and am around 50% done with the game (I like to take my timeFire Emblem Three Houses is one of the best games that I have ever played. I have been a fan of the series for a while now, and this one blows the other Fire Emblem games out of the water. This games offers a huge amount of compelling story that will take you at least 70 hours to play through. I have been playing for 85 hours now and am around 50% done with the game (I like to take my time with games, so it takes me a lot more time to finish them). Another thing that I noticed about playing through this game is how much I wanted to come back to it. It never fatigued me or left me feeling like I had just wasted 3 hours of my day. The game keeps you coming back with masterfully designed characters, a fun and exiting battle mechanic, and a compelling story that will leave you wanting more.
    This game changes up many things when compared to the previous generation of Fire Emblem games (The entries on the 3DS), one of the biggest new additions being voice acting. Every single character speech text in the entire game is brought to life with high quality voice acting. Beyond that, character models have been greatly improved from the previous game. Where they were once pixel bit characters on the maps, they are now high-quality characters that you can zoom in on, and see them in greater detail than ever before. This helps make the maps in the game feel like actual battlefields, and gives the game an extra feeling of immersion. When you are not in battle, you can spend your time running around the monastery, visiting and interacting with the characters, shopping for weapons, cooking food, or even fishing. This is a genius Idea, and It is being utilized perfectly in this game.
    I was going to wait until I finished the whole game before reviewing it, but I decided that 70 hours was more than enough time to spend with this game to know that Fire Emblem Three Houses is an absolute masterpiece of a game, and Is a shining example of what future Fire Emblem games, and tactical RPGs in general, should strive to be like. I hope this game wins at least one award at The Game Awards in a couple of weeks because it deserves so much attention and praise. Even If it didn't get a nomination for game of the year, This is definitely my game of the year for 2019.
  47. Dec 17, 2019
    This game is simply amazing :) (Hint! Try replaying it multiple times, you might miss a few things in the first playthough :) )
  48. Sep 2, 2019
    Do not listen to the haters... They just hate and This game is pure love.

Do you like anime? do you like rpgs? do you like japan? do you like strategy? do you like the switch? This is the game for you!!!! Best game i've ever played... Period!! The story is deep.. from any angle. I've played 120 hours and I can't put the game down. It's that good!. Now, if your are dumb.. then you
    Do not listen to the haters... They just hate and This game is pure love.

Now, if your are dumb.. then you won't like the game.
  49. Sep 24, 2019
    The most ambitious title from Intelligent Systems (made in collaboration with Koei Tecmo) so far, and man is it a success. These guys just never disappoint me. How far has this great franchise, which invented the genre that birthed many other great franchises, come since its NES debut and since its debut in the West with FE7 on GBA.
    The numerous gameplay features take a bit of time to
    The numerous gameplay features take a bit of time to introduce which makes for a bit of a slow start ( the first one or two hours ? can't quite remember ), but once it's on it's one of those games that just keeps on giving. After a while, walking the "hub" ( aka Garreg Mach ) to talk with everyone and look for spawning items can become a bit of a hassle though (one that can be avoided, but I'm the thorough type of player), thankfully not enough to spoil the fun for me.
    High replayability value too as you have the choice between three houses each with different characters in them, as well as different branches in the story for each of them, and a NG+ mode which introduces new features. I myself finished it in 75 hours and will most likely go for NG+ if only to get to know a bunch of other characters in a different house and see where the story gets them.
    A must-have for Switch owners, highly recommended!

EDIT: I saw it mentionned by other people so I will react to it, but I do feel the comparison to Harry Potter is very obvious to make. Sure, there is magic, and sure the school looks like a castle, but way more than that is that the tone of the story starts up very light while the students are enjoying what looks like an unusual but rather pleasant school life, and ends up becoming a way darker, sad and mature story. Not a bad comparison, I grew up reading the Harry Potter books, and whether you like this series or not, it's now a classic that made millions of kids dream. Hopefully this game will do the same for the kids that play it today.
  50. Nov 30, 2019
    Fire Emblem Three Houses is an immersive game that adds a fresh perspective to the series and is a must have for any Nintendo Switch user.

While the sheer amount of things to do is quite overwhelming the game does notice that by only giving you a set number of options to use very week- and the key of this game is in the planning. The world is complex, the characters unique and

The world is complex, the characters unique and intriguing and the plot is extremely entertaining.
    Make no mistake that whatever house you choose in the very beginning of the game will only get you through 60 to 70 hours of that houses story. You will have learned a lot, but there are two more houses you would have to pick again (if you want to get the full story ).

This game keeps up the pace with every single week being more and more insightful into the lives of the students and the teachers.
    In part social in part tactical the game combines the best of both worlds with you the player being able to teach and interact with you students, motivate them, make decisions together that truly impact the game. At the same time also giving you a fair share of combat where you are forced to rely on your tactical skills to reach the end (and here I admissive most fervently to play in Classic mode)

The main character does not speak, and his story might not be the most compelling of them all, but the game never once lets you get bored. You have a dozen or more fully realised characters that require just as much attention and have incredible stories of their own- And this is probably the greatest part about the game.

I fully recommend this incredible game for this storytelling skills, strong characters and tactical combat.
  51. Jan 15, 2020
    This is the perfect introduction to the Fire Emblem series. In fact, I loaned the game to my friend, and both him and his girlfriend completed it. So if you are on the fence about the series, then definitely you should give the game a try. It has an extremely addictive gameplay loop that makes you feel constant progression. Therapeutic, in fact if you like games like Animal Crossing or theThis is the perfect introduction to the Fire Emblem series. In fact, I loaned the game to my friend, and both him and his girlfriend completed it. So if you are on the fence about the series, then definitely you should give the game a try. It has an extremely addictive gameplay loop that makes you feel constant progression. Therapeutic, in fact if you like games like Animal Crossing or the old Sims, this is probably right down your ally. I will say as a Fire Emblem fan, I enjoyed the game more on my first playthrough than subsequent ones where I began seeing its shortcomings. I wish there was a higher difficulty setting and a more refined end game. I see Fire Emblem Three Houses as an extremely safe game that could have been even greater if more development time was spent. Alas, what we do get is still incredibly worthwhile! I'm hopeful for the future of Fire Emblem. Expand
  52. Feb 3, 2020
    Three Houses marks the return of Fire Emblem to a main line console. The last entry on a home console was Radiant Dawn on Wii and before that, Path of Radiance on Gamecube.

So how did it fare? Pretty well. Fire Emblem saw a resurgence in popularity after the 3DS title Awakening and has since gone form strength to strength bolstered by it's presence in Smash Bros. Three Houses ditched

Three Houses ditched the three different versions that Fire Emblem Fates had with Birthright, Conquest and Revelations. Instead it opted for one game with three branching paths based on which house you chose.

There is a lot of replay value here to be sure. Many of the core tenants from the series carry over like support conversations and yes even romance and marriage for a given pairing. Though they have scaled back in that only the main protagonist and one of their choosing can marry and gone are the offspring that can then be recruited into child soldiers.

Now you can hire battalions to aid you in battle and the gameplay remains much the same. There are a few new mechanics here or there. But generally speaking if you have played Fire Emblem before you will know what to expect.

The Monastery of Gareg Mach is where you spend much of your time as it serves as a hub with many activities to engage in. You can teach your students, partake in cooking, etc. All of this goes toward increasing skills. It's a novel approach and it works well. After a time skip it becomes your headquarters of sorts.

All the dialogue is fully voiced and the actors really commit themselves to their roles here. I didn't really find any cringe inducing lines of dialogue that I can think of. It's an enjoyable story too.

Easily one of the Switch's best.
  53. Sep 2, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A game that truly makes good use of the switch, both in looks, gameplay, and sound, its art style helps compensate for the fact the switch is a low performer showing the devs knew what they had to work with, with a kicking soundtrack that suits each encounter scene and situation and the gameplay is fun with options for both the casual and hardcore so no one is left out, highly reccomended Expand
  54. Sep 2, 2019
    All these idiots review bombing this is ridiculous. The game is fine. People are just needy.
  55. Oct 25, 2019
    Super candidato a Goty. Uno de los.mejores juegos del año. Obra maestra en el genero.
  56. Jun 3, 2020
    Uno de los mejores Fire Emblem y una pequeña evolución en la saga. Toma la idea de los múltiples caminos de FE Fates, pero bien llevada a cabo (y en el mismo cartucho). Continua incluyendo elementos que no me resultan favorables pero sé que tienen su fanbase (como las horas del té) pero también ha sido bien llevado y no resulta molesto.
    La libertad y posibilidad de desarrollo de los
    La libertad y posibilidad de desarrollo de los personajes es enorme, y esta bien llevado en el sentido de que, aunque puedes volver a cualquier personaje en casi cualquier clase, hay ciertas que son más aptas para cada uno (tanto por personalidad como por estadísticas, aunque hay algunos con los que puedes experimentar bastante). Los personajes son también interesantes mayormente.
    Las diferentes lineas de la historia son interesantes (algunas más que otras), y jugar por múltiples caminos te da más detalles globales de ella, pero siendo todos los caminos igual de verdaderos.
    La dinámica de explorar la base es genial, sobre todo al principio, pero pierde cierta importancia hacía el final, cuando has maximizado muchas de las cosas que puedes hacer (y es puramente opcional si alguien quiere solo batallar).
    La dificultad del juego tiende hacia lo fácil en el modo normal, pudiendo levelear todo lo que quieras entre misiones, siendo genial para primerizos en la saga o gente que prefiera una experiencia diferente a la clásica de los FE. El modo difícil quita esta dinámica y es una experiencia más FE.
    Como puntos negativos, alguna mecánica de la base puede ser algo repetitiva sobre todo al comienzo del juego (la pesca...)

Un juego de 10 con todas las de la ley, con una enorme cantidad de horas (no exageraban con las 50-70 horas que puede durarte completar una vez el modo historia.)
  57. Oct 6, 2019
    I have played this game for more than 150 hours and I still want keep playing. The thing I don't like is the free days when you roam around the monastery. It slows the game down too much, especially when one will spend more than 30 hours in this space that is not interesting enough. However, if you have any interest in this game, I recommend it strongly.
  58. Sep 10, 2019
    Having completed 1 route so far in my playthrough, I can tell you I will continue to spend my hours with the other routes on the game. My biggest complaint would have to be some frame rate drop and with a lack of master class options, wished there were some more.
  59. Sep 2, 2019
    So some idiots (sony fanboys) have started to review-bomb this game, for no reason whatsoever. The original rating was 8.6 and it was well deserved. This is, by far, the best Fire Emblem game to date, and if you haven't picked it up already, go and do so.

Some people are seriously pathetic
  60. Jan 17, 2020
    First Fire Emblem I ever played. Bought it on a whim when I was looking for something new to play back in September. Put 200+ hours in and still had yet to completely finish all possible routes. Game has a satisfying gameplay routine of battling then wandering the hub and choosing how to use your time effectively to maximize and build the characters you've recruited and teach. The majorityFirst Fire Emblem I ever played. Bought it on a whim when I was looking for something new to play back in September. Put 200+ hours in and still had yet to completely finish all possible routes. Game has a satisfying gameplay routine of battling then wandering the hub and choosing how to use your time effectively to maximize and build the characters you've recruited and teach. The majority of the main characters are very likable, with their own quirks and stories that make them memorable, funny, annoying, and tragic. The soundtrack is one of my favorites I've ever heard in a video game. While you do have some time between main story points and it can feel grindy, you can fill that time by focusing on and doing side story quests for other characters that grant useful items or unique story points for them later on. A lot of the DLC and free content update save data to the game have been things at fans have asked for or recommended and the developers have been kind enough to patch things in that people wanted, to small things like wanting to pet dogs and cats and feed them. The different story routes hit different notes, meaning that you are bound to find one that you enjoy, though I've liked all of them. Almost the entire game is voice acted, except for some minor text boxes in the hub area. The va's all did really well, even lines that seemed cheesy in writing to me would get a pass things to their delivery.

I absolutely adore this game, and if you are wanting to dip your toes into Fire Emblem I think it is a great start.
  61. Oct 3, 2019
    This was my first ever Fire Emblem game, so I was quite excited to see what it had got to offer. I have to say, I was positively surprised. I enjoyed this game a lot more, than I originally expected.

First of all, this game offers A LOT of content. Since you have the option to choose from three different routes, with each of them taking about 60 hours to complete, if you try to do as many side quests as possible. I have finished my first playthrough just a few days ago, but I can see myself starting another one in the future. The story is interesting and well written, which probably is due the well thought out characters. Every character has its own personality and a quite engaging backstory, which leads you to actually caring for them. In the late game it makes you really feel bad to kill or lose some of these characters. Furthermore, every character is fully voice acted, which just gives them even more individuality. You also notice significant character development, as you progress in the game. Definitely one of the greatest strengths of the game, if not the greatest.

What I also really liked were the side quests. Especially the fact, that some of them are based on events, which just happened in the main story. Even these side quests reveal information about the history or certain characters.

The game basically consists of three parts. There is the part, where you explore the monastery and talk to students / other professors, do activities, like fishing and helping people with certain tasks. By doing that, you enhance the relationship to your students / other professors, which unlocks support conversations. Additionally, having a good relationship to your students also increases their stats in battle, if they are close to each other.

The second part would be teaching your students skills, so they can master specific classes. As the teacher, you can set their goals, as well as boost skills individually. To gain most of these lessons, you need to make sure, that your students are motivated to improve their skills even more, by doing activities with them.

At last, we have the fighting. As far as I know, the mechanics didn’t change much, compared to previous games. The game does a great job at teaching you the mechanics. You have to think about which of your students should be on the front and which students you want to keep at a safer spot. After choosing the position of one of your students, you have the option to attack (if the enemy is in your reach), use an item or wait. It can be quite satisfying to beat multiple enemies in one turn without losing an ally. But one thing I don’t like is the durability system of the weapons. By attacking enemies your weapons are wearing out and if the durability of a weapon hits 0, its power and accuracy decreases. You can talk to the blacksmith to repair your weapons, but he will ask you for materials to do so. The problem is, in the preparation phase of a battle, there is no option to buy these materials. You can only buy them from the merchants in the monastery, which you don’t have access to in the preparation phase. I think it would have been better, if you could repair your weapons by just paying the blacksmith with gold. That way you wouldn’t have to make always sure to buy enough materials before a battle. However, another positive thing is the opportunity to rewind time to reconsider your actions if you lose a student for example. Even though you can use that ability more than ten times in the later game, which is almost a bit too much in my opinion, it is a welcome feature.

Unfortunately, the graphics really aren’t the best. That also goes for some of the animations. While the character models are pretty good, the environment just isn’t beautiful to look at. Also collisions are basically non-existent. You can walk through cats and pillars, like they weren’t even there. Personally I don’t need fancy graphics, but it definitely would have been better if the developers polished them a bit more. On the other hand the soundtrack is pretty good.

All in all, I really enjoyed Fire Emblem: Three Houses. It has surpassed my expectations by far and I have had a great time with it. You really should check it out, if you are interested in a SRPG with an engaging story and well-written characters.
  62. Sep 29, 2019
    This is probably one of my favorite games this year. I will say I only did the Blue Lions run, so my opinions will be based on that. I love how characters are handled, the group of the Blue Lions all work off of each other and serve a purpose within the scope of the story, the events all feel centered around them in the first half(since I am aware that each house has the same events inThis is probably one of my favorite games this year. I will say I only did the Blue Lions run, so my opinions will be based on that. I love how characters are handled, the group of the Blue Lions all work off of each other and serve a purpose within the scope of the story, the events all feel centered around them in the first half(since I am aware that each house has the same events in part 1) and the second half works as a great redemption story. Dimitri as a character is extremely well done and his character progression is among the best the series has ever had. The game is a bit easy at times, but it still gave me enough of a challenge to where I feel I got enough out of it. The soundtrack is amazing, and I love the designs. My biggest issues however, have to be the graphics, it's definitely not the best looking game on the switch by a long shot, KT helped out with the engine here, but also did FE Warriors which arguably looks a lot better despite coming out years before it. Along with that, I have to say some aspects bugged me, like I wish could see how far I have to be for my combat arts like Deadeye to be usable, I wish there was a better way to repair relic weapons, and I wish I was able to deploy more units since I ended up not using a lot of the characters I stole from other houses. All in all, I enjoyed this game, and it's already one of my most played games on the switch despite being out for such a short amount of time. Expand
  63. Sep 2, 2019
    FE3H is an amazing addition to the switch. The storyline and characters are captivating, creating an environment that the player can easily submerge themselves into. The battle system is very engaging, but I admit some of the classes have me bored. I can't wait for new unique classes as there is only one hidden class you can unlock thus far.

Each house campaign is very unique, and

Each house campaign is very unique, and invites the player to keep exploring new routes in order to view the entire story as a whole. I can say any story based DLC for this game will be amazing! The only negative is waiting till the DLC is released. As far as time goes I am about 80 hours in and soon to begin my third campaign.

I have not experienced frame rate drops like so many 0 raters have suggested. I have also not experienced loading lags when entering new areas of the monastery. I would suggest to ignore most 0-1 reviews, as they do not seem very helpful within their criticisms and may possibly be trolls at this point. If you are still on the fence, I would suggest watching some longer walkthrough videos. FE3H for me is by far the best game release for 2019, and I cannot wait for more content.
  64. Feb 3, 2020
    my favorite fire emblem yet, amazing cast and superb gameplay, it was a blast to play!
  65. Jan 20, 2020
    The best switch exclusive, a very good starting point for everyone and one of the best stories for all FE games, my 2019 goty.
  66. Jul 23, 2020
    si bien en lo tecnico deja que desear, me encanta las historias que cuenta tipico de fire emblem, ojala le pongan mas empeño al proximo en lo tecnico, como me gustaria un fire emblem con graficos geniales
  67. Aug 15, 2019
    I created an account just to write a review for FE:3H. This is my first FE game and the first game in NSW (so far) that had me doing new game+.

As I mentioned above, I haven't played previous FE games, so I wouldn't know how to compare the older ones with this one. That said, this game is really fun - it's a cross between a Japanese visual novel type of game and a turn-based strategy JRPG. You basically have a gameplay cycle that let's you manage your time between building relationships, trainings, battles and missions - I'm in NG+ and I'm still not getting bored with this cycle.

The story is compelling enough to make you want to go thru each of the houses just to see their point of view, meet the characters and watch how their story ends. I'm not saying it's perfect story-wise, but for a game, man, you will want to go thru all the route just to understand the characters moral drive.

I'm on route 2, and seeing myself doing until route 4 (with a break in between probably for other games). And will definitely buy the expansion pass to see the (I assume), good ending.
  68. Sep 2, 2019
    Una vuesta de tuerca a la saga fire emblem, con por ejemplo la forma de poder hacer a tus personajes cualquier profesión e ir haciendo a todos tus personajes a tu gusto, su sistema de enseñanza ya que tú eres el tutor de tus tropas, con una historia bien elaborada como es normal en esta saga, com más de 200 horas de juego si quieres ver todos los entresijos de su historia, y todos susUna vuesta de tuerca a la saga fire emblem, con por ejemplo la forma de poder hacer a tus personajes cualquier profesión e ir haciendo a todos tus personajes a tu gusto, su sistema de enseñanza ya que tú eres el tutor de tus tropas, con una historia bien elaborada como es normal en esta saga, com más de 200 horas de juego si quieres ver todos los entresijos de su historia, y todos sus puntos de vista. Expand
  69. Sep 2, 2019
    This game is as story-rich as it should be. Never really wanted to play completionist, but this game makes me want to.
  70. Sep 2, 2019
    Fantastic game, one of the best fire emblems, amazing story, lovable characters, lots of replayability.
  71. Sep 2, 2019
    After spending much time with the game, i can say that this is a great game to own for the switch. There is a big enough difference from the rest of the series to show that it is unique, but there is enough to show that it is a fire emblem game. The game-play is much easier to get into compared to past FE titles and the music is also great. Although there are a decent amount of negativeAfter spending much time with the game, i can say that this is a great game to own for the switch. There is a big enough difference from the rest of the series to show that it is unique, but there is enough to show that it is a fire emblem game. The game-play is much easier to get into compared to past FE titles and the music is also great. Although there are a decent amount of negative reviews, many of them are individuals who want a past fire emblem game or are unsatisfied with a part of Three Houses. The game itself is great with a ton of replayability. Comparing it to a past title and giving it a 0 because its not like it is being unfair to Three Houses. They made a great game that both newcomers and veterans can enjoy without there being a hard roadblock anywhere. Expand
  72. Sep 2, 2019
    About 200 hours of gameplay and 4 different campaigns. This game combines fire emblem with elements of persona that work really well together. It’s super addicting, and it’s really easy to fall in love with the characters. One of Nintendo’s greatest games!
  73. Sep 2, 2019
    Fantastic game based on the older versions in the franchise. Made me love Fire Emblem again. Definitely recommend, replay-ability is through the roof and future content will keep you sinking hours into the game.
  74. Oct 20, 2019
    I did 50 hours on this game. absolutely loved it. persona 5 meets harry potter. great twist midway through the story. one of the best games of 2019!
  75. Sep 6, 2019
    This is how a franchise should make the jump to the home console system. The traditional FE System like the battle system und the support are nicely included into the school setting. Also the different views onto the story create a high replayability, leading to 40 - 120 hours of gameplay, depending if you want to see everything or are satisfied with one side of the story.

Only major

Only major dislike are the repeating maps for side missions.
  76. Sep 15, 2019
    Amazing game, decisions completely change the course of the story, has a good challenge when on max difficulty. The negative points are maybe fishing and the fact that your dead units are still "alive" somewhere.
  77. Sep 24, 2019
    I never really liked tactical checker-board games in general having played Civ 6, FE Fates, and Mario/Rabbids. I was willing to try out this game because of all the hype surrounding it which was well deserved. The gameplay was fun, really fun. I loved how weapons could break in the game to prevent it from getting boring because to be frank a lot of weapons practically insta kill whichI never really liked tactical checker-board games in general having played Civ 6, FE Fates, and Mario/Rabbids. I was willing to try out this game because of all the hype surrounding it which was well deserved. The gameplay was fun, really fun. I loved how weapons could break in the game to prevent it from getting boring because to be frank a lot of weapons practically insta kill which anyone would've abused. Switching from top down checkerboard to a close up 3D view was incredible as both of them played amazingly.

Story isn't something I care too much for and I don't often expect much of one out of a Nintendo game but the one in FE is no non-sense. For the base characters everyone speaks like human beings that can't be said of most anime artistic games. And the protagonist, Byleth, is absolutely ruthless and doesn't bring up the cliche pacifist trope.
  78. Sep 29, 2019
    Es un muy buen juego, con buena historia y muy buena banda sonora, el diseño de personajes es preciso.
  79. Sep 30, 2019
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a fantastic game, worth your time! There are 4 different routes, so it has great replay ability. There are many characters to play with, each which has their own flushed out personality. The game gives you MANY things to do during each week. Each route gives you a different perspective of the story, and helps fill in the gaps from other routes. You must playFire Emblem: Three Houses is a fantastic game, worth your time! There are 4 different routes, so it has great replay ability. There are many characters to play with, each which has their own flushed out personality. The game gives you MANY things to do during each week. Each route gives you a different perspective of the story, and helps fill in the gaps from other routes. You must play all 4 routes to know everything! The DLC is also fantastic. They added some new costumes, and a new game + mode, which makes playing the other routes faster, and more enjoyable. There is also more story DLC coming out in 2020! I highly recommend this game to any RPG fan. Expand
  80. Oct 21, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Traditional turn-based combat that certainly hook me up with tactical approach for every battle....also this game make me thinking for hours before s-support Expand
  81. Oct 27, 2019
    If you love playing JRPG then you have no reason to not play this game, the rosters starts at a bunch of generic characters who fit the standard archetype, but as soon you start digging up the surface you will find very good scripted characters; the narrative fills its purpose very well, and while its not fully unpredictable it doesn't make it feel weaker.
    The tutoring system and sunday
    The tutoring system and sunday exploration may cause a bit of frustration to players that doesn't like that kind of simulation but you can skip it and the game will do it for you letting to go straight to the history; I don't advice to do this however as that will make feel characters a bit shallow but if you want to focus in battles then you can do it.
    The most important of a JRPG its is battle system and AI challenge and this game does have that for medium players, if you are a hardcore JRPG the standard difficulty will seems a bit low at start but that will compensate as you move forward into the history, the system allows to play as you want and that freedom can be a bit overwhelming if you don't want to dig in that but you don't have to if you don't want, also if you are hardsteel hardcore fan of RPG you can take the maddening difficulty and you will feel happy there, specially if you are no using a new game+ save to start from scratch and even if you use it the game will still challenge you.
    It sound is lovely, relaxing when you are wandering around the monastery, exciting in the battles and even glee if the situation requires it; if you value the sound of a game highly this game won't disappoint you at all.
    And finally the only con of this game, its graphics are a bit low matched to other games, that only when talking about the wallpapers which to be true are a low quality; but if you are playing to play and RPG the graphics won't bother at allow, the characters designs are beautiful, the game moves fluidly and there is no reason you should bother on the wallpapers as they don't meddles with the gameplay.
  82. Oct 31, 2019
    I really need to play this game more, fun gameplay features and characters. I can tell this game has massive potential so I'll certainly update this review in the future.
  83. Nov 24, 2019
    The animations, narrative and gameplay kept me hooked for hours. Played through Blue Lions, Black Eagles and now working on Golden Deer. Unexpectedly LOVED the gameplay in between battles, fishing minigame, sharing meals with characters and building relationships with them. Tea parties were strangely fun as well. If you own a switch this game should be in your catalog.
  84. Dec 13, 2019
    I have always been a fan of Fire Emblem (FE) games, and this one didn't disappoint. It's addicting, entertaining, and can feel emotional after diving into the story deeper.

Its quality of life is something gamers should be thankful for, despite sinking in 120+ hours into the game, it doesn't bore you with too many unnecessary cutscenes and fluffs like other RPGs have. The fast forward function during cutscenes helps players become more engaged and not get burnt-out.

The gameplay is like any other FE games, it's solid. Depending on the difficulty you are playing at, you'll get different challenges from finishing the game too easily, to making you kill your controller due to the AI's painful maddening difficulty. Though that being said, the game doesn't suffer if you play on easier modes, I do believe that you'll still get the FE experience you're looking for.

The story is excellent. There are three possible endings (possibly four, depending on the choices you make) and the writers did a good job of not making it feel repetitive if you try to play all houses since they did a good job giving the player specific scenarios exclusive to each house that helps unfold more backstories for the characters.

I've spent 120+ hours of gameplay (and counting) and have completed two endings. That only means there's another 100+ hours waiting for me if I continue to play and unlock the other endings for the other houses.

Overall, if you're a tactical JRPG fan, then you should definitely buy this game and add them to your collection. The content is packed, and the game assures you that your $60 was well spent.
  85. Nov 20, 2019
    The best Fire Emblem since Radiant Dawn on Wii. There is so much to do and if you want to see it all, you'll get more than 200 hours out of this game easily. It might be lacking in map variety and the backgrounds during support conversations are blurry... But that's pretty much all that's bad.
  86. Nov 19, 2019
    This game is incredible. The characters flushed out really well and there is way more content then we paid for. My only complaint is that when you want to start a different story, the first part is very repetitive. There are a few differences with each house but for the most part the game is basically the same until you get to post time skip.
  87. Nov 25, 2019
    Beautifully captivating game! The soundtrack was powerful and the characters were engaging. Moreover, the game allows for replayability. Totally deserves a Game Of The Year Nomination!
  88. Nov 25, 2019
    I have played this game for over 200 hours and have to say there is so much more content left and I have enjoyed every bit of it.

I highly suggest playing it if you have enjoyed previous fire emblem titles, and is a good start for those who are new to the series. If you enjoy turn based strategy games, or if you enjoy games with a good story and very memorable characters, then you will enjoy fire emblem.

I could write more about the game, like the amazing music, the fully voice acted cast, or the new game mechanics, but then I would be spending my time not playing fire emblem, and that's no fun for me.
  89. Nov 27, 2019
    Played through 2 of the 4 routes in the game and have had no reason to stop, these games are pure fun all the time no matter how much you want to play.
  90. Dec 1, 2019
    Fire Emblem is a franchise I had only ever shown a passing interest in prior to Three Houses. I played the 3DS games to the end of their respective stories and left it at that. After playing Three Houses, I can say with full confidence that my interest in this franchise is no longer passing.

Three Houses stands about its 3DS counterparts for the fantastic narrative it creates, tied together by interesting characters, an immersive world, engaging gameplay and outstanding sound direction. Having spent 125 hours playing through 2 of the 4 potential endings, I can say my time with Three Houses has been one of my most memorable gaming experiences in my adult life.

The most obvious point of comparison here is with the Persona franchise, as both games try to supplement their main stories with added side content based around the game's characters on a more personal level. The Persona system of Social Links and Confidants has the advantage of being a much more refined system than is found in Three Houses, thanks to the fact that Atlus introduced these features early in the series' lifespan. Yet Three Houses still manages to create an engaging social aspect to the world it creates. Seeing my favourite characters meet, react to each other and develop as people felt just as rewarding as it does in Persona.

However, the main failing of Three Houses is also best portrayed with a comparison to the Persona series. Persona 3, 4 and especially 5 have received recognition for their striking visual styles. Persona 5 in particular pushed the boundaries in terms of game design and art style, seamlessly blending game interface and game art. Three Houses does not accomplish anything near this level. To be frank, Three Houses can be ugly at times. The character design is outstanding, but this is often devalued by poor environmental design outside of battle. Cutscenes with 3D models are often, if not always, accompanied by ugly 2D backdrops. This is Fire Emblem Three Houses' biggest weakness.

Yet, I am glad to say visuals are perhaps Three Houses' only real weakness. Combat is particularly engaging, arguably more so than Persona's turn based system. As Three Houses is a strategy RPG, there is a great deal of thought that must go into every move on the battlefield. It requires a sharp mind, or else a character may be lost (Unless you're soft resetting or playing on casual ofc). I found most battles to not only be a test of my strategic thought, but also as perhaps the most entertaining part of the game.

To keep the review somewhat short, I'd say Fire Emblem is one of the best games not only on the Switch, but one of the best games this year. Gameplay, story and side activities make the game engaging, interesting and almost infinitely repayable. What is perhaps a somewhat vain criticism, the game does not look good in the slightest, this is something I would very much like to see improved in the next entry. Aside from this, Fire Emblem is outstanding on the Switch, in the RPG genre, and gaming as a whole. This decade has been a roller-coaster for the Fire Emblem series, from almost total irrelevance in 2010 to what is perhaps the series high in 2019. I cannot recommend this game enough.
  91. Dec 7, 2019
    This game is highly addictive and the routes offer enough depth to keep the player engaged in the story, the characters and the fictional world of Fodlán. The cast of characters is strong and charismatic with the three main characters standing out among the rest of the cast as one would expect.
  92. Dec 10, 2019
    This is my game of the year for 2019!! I loved all the characters and the music is just amazing!! I did pick Blue Lions for my first route because I love Dimitri and I loved every single minute of it. Currently playing through Golden Deer, but I'm definitely playing all the routes available to me. I'll definitely be playing this game alot for many years.
  93. Dec 20, 2019
    Absolutely Magnificent. Flawless character building, Fun game play, beautiful visuals, well-animated cut scenes, interesting story, balanced characters, this game, in my opinion is simply flawless. I cannot stress how much it is worth your time. This alone is a reason to buy a switch.

The Battle phase is well done, with a good mental challenge and fun visuals. The teaching is streamlined, easy and has a nice theme, and the exploration is outfitted with interactive things, such as having tea or fishing. The monastery is very large and fun to run around in.

Some Things to remember are that 1.) You must do all supports to get the full experience, 2.) The game starts of a bit slow, but certainly speeds up, 2.) There is a secret 4th route.

All in all, the game is great. Do it.
  94. Dec 28, 2019
    It such a fun game to play and so addicting. This is my first game in the series and I enjoy it so much
  95. Dec 28, 2019
    Fantastic game. The academy system (and the tea time...) works really well in terms of making each character persuasive (except for Cyril maybe), which I believe is a major improvement compared to Awakening. The graphics are not superb and all those cut-and-paste motions can be annoying sometimes, but you don't play FE for beautiful graphics.

For Japanese SRPG fans, this is a must-play.

For Japanese SRPG fans, this is a must-play. I gave 9 instead of 10 because (1) the Black Eagles routes are a bit too short and jumpy and (2) the combat could have been more challenging - I felt the lunatic mode was not challenging, but just unfair.
  96. Jan 5, 2020
    An absolute joy to play. The addicting and engaging gameplay dynamic with battles, exploration of the monastery and teaching never got old despite the four playthroughs I went through. The music was beautiful with a wide range of tracks and the graphics though not groundbreaking, were great. Characters, for the most part, felt well developed and interesting especially post time skip and IAn absolute joy to play. The addicting and engaging gameplay dynamic with battles, exploration of the monastery and teaching never got old despite the four playthroughs I went through. The music was beautiful with a wide range of tracks and the graphics though not groundbreaking, were great. Characters, for the most part, felt well developed and interesting especially post time skip and I never had an issue with anyone's voice acting. There's very little to criticise in my opinion however this was my first fire emblem and really first strategy game so I could see long term fans having some gripes with the game. For example, the masterclasses even to me felt a little undeveloped and there could be some more maps to battle on. I could also see some people getting tired of the exploration and teaching systems, although personally I never did. My only real complaint would be the S tier supports or marriages as it felt like a missed opportunity to further develop your relationship with your desired partner. Also, I noticed there weren't many same-sex options for male byleth, didn't affect me but I know that will disappoint some people. Overall though, fantastic game and I highly recommend it. Expand
  97. Aug 9, 2020
    Mais um bom jogo com a cara da Nintendo, que deveria focar mais em trazer jogos do mesmo gênero invés de toda hora um ''Mario''. Quem tiver Switch e estiver cansado de jogar a mesma coisa sempre, pegue-o que irão gostar.
  98. Jan 13, 2020
    Three Houses is a superb Fire Emblem entry that brings mainstream appeal to the otherwise niche series. Fire Emblem Awakening is the other entry that had similar appeal, but Three Houses truly brings Fire Emblem to a new frontier: Aping Persona. The reason why Persona is so appealing while other JRPGs are passed over is perhaps one of the great mysteries of the modern age. If imitation isThree Houses is a superb Fire Emblem entry that brings mainstream appeal to the otherwise niche series. Fire Emblem Awakening is the other entry that had similar appeal, but Three Houses truly brings Fire Emblem to a new frontier: Aping Persona. The reason why Persona is so appealing while other JRPGs are passed over is perhaps one of the great mysteries of the modern age. If imitation is flattery, Persona must be feeling pretty good right now.

Jokes aside, Three Houses leans heavily on its plot and characters. A dark, inherently flawed continent replaces the traditional evil country vs. super good nation with blue haired prince Fire Emblem dynamic, and it's very well received. The characters bear the flaws of their surroundings with them, underneath posh character designs that belie the brutality of their medieval setting. It's as if Fire Emblem has realized what it always should have been.

The leads, in particular, are phenomenally written. Edelgard is worlds of depth away from any Fire Emblem character before her, perhaps because she's partly based on one of Fire Emblem's earlier best characters. Dimitri is perhaps a more standard tragic protagonist on paper, but the design team, the writers, and Dimitri's superb voice actor make his characterization among the best in gaming. The rest of the students are no slouches either, each having plenty of depth for the player to encounter through their supports and other interactions around the monastery. Fire Emblem's trademark depth of cast is on full display here, perhaps more than ever before.

Gameplay itself is ok. Intelligent Systems seems to have more or less abandoned balance in favor of entertainment. That's fine, just don't go in expecting a fair, ungameable challenge. If you make your whole army (or even most of it) wyvern knights, you can trivialize most of the game. Still, it's not like you have to do that, so plenty of fun to be had regardless. Monsters are a new and perfectly designed addition to Fire Emblem, complimenting gambits quite well. Proper preparation with multiple units is required to succeed in the more complicated monster maps. Game Freak should take notice, since this is similar to the Dynamax pokemon method of difficulty spiking. Intelligent Systems has done it right here.

You do have to play through 4 routes to see all that Three Houses has to offer. While they can get repetitive at times, I still found myself wishing there was a fifth after completing all 4. Three Houses is the sort of experience that fans of Persona and SRPGs would do well to have.
  99. Jan 17, 2020
    Very solid overall game but if you find the monastery tedious its basically impossible to escape, fun the first time, fine the second time, after that a bit of slog. Story could be stronger but if the avatar is inevitable, byleth was better handled than chris or corrin. Overall it's still fire emblem, with the benefits of time the game has been polished to be complete mostly.
  100. Jan 27, 2020
    Um jogo fantástico e com fato replay único, história envolvente, marcante e com bom desenrolar.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 102 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Apr 28, 2020
    There may be too much content here for busy adults to tackle! I don't know when I'm going to find the time to do full playthroughs of the other two Houses that I didn't choose to begin with! [Issue #41 – September 2019, p. 74]
  2. Oct 29, 2019
    Fire Emblem Three Houses is one of Switch's best games of 2019 and a breeze of fresh air to this franchise. Unfortunately, its poor animations preclude any possibility of being the game of the year.
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Oct 11, 2019
    Large selection of classes, good AI and wide variety of missions make Fire Emblem: Three Houses one of the best turn-based tactics. [Issue#240, p.50]